Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Equinox Stereo, iPod, CD, Bluetooth, Sat, AUX, USB, DVD

ajt1ajt1 Member Posts: 3
I have a 2005 Nox LT (bought new in July 05) with the 6-CD player and steering wheel controls.
In October 05, the CD's jammed up (a sprocket popped out of the CD opening!) and I had it replaced via factory warranty.
My Nox is now less than 3 years old, and has 40K miles, and the CD player just jammed up again. I fear this will not be covered by warranty since I am past the 3 year/36K.
Anyone else experience the CD's jamming up or can shed light if the sound system warranty ends at 36K?

Comments

• a918doa918do Member Posts: 9
    I bought my wife this same model new in 05 and since we have had to have the cd changer replaced twice for this same reason. The way that I understand the chevrolet policy, when they replace a part and it breaks again in the same manner then they are still responsible for the part. You might have to pay the labor but you should not have to pay for the part. :)
  • emanchenemanchen Member Posts: 5
    Yep, in addition to the multitude of problems I already have had with the nox, now the CD player will not take any CD's, I have to force one in and if I am lucky, it might play. I am extremely unhappy.
  • ajt1ajt1 Member Posts: 3
    I just got my out-of-warranty 6-CD player replaced FREE at a Chevy dealership. Contact the Chevy Customer Care center (see the back of the warranty booklet that comes with the car) and call or email them. Under certain circumstances, they will extend the warranty FREE, and the Chevy Care Representatives are a pleasure to deal with! :)
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    Some of you already know some of the 2010 1LT Nox vehicles that were supposed to have a USB port as part of the Vehicle Interface Package didn't come with it. So I'm trying to see if I can hook up a USB cord myself to the back of the radio unit.

Anyone:

1) have any idea what the back of the unit looks like to know where the USB hook up is (assuming all the radio units are the same and it just wasn't hooked up in some of these 1LT vehicles)?

2) know what is involved in getting the console/radio unit removed to get to the back? Does the dash have to be largely taken apart, or just removing some plastic trim pieces?

Thanks.
  • sinnedksinnedk Member Posts: 4
    anyone installed headrest dvd? does seat back panel come off easy? was wiring easy? 2010 nox.
  • gamehawkergamehawker Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2010 Equinox LT2 with the USB port. I do not currently own a MP3 Player.

What MP3 Player works best with this sytem in the Equinox, i.e., iPod Touch, Zune, Sandisk Sansa Fuze, Samsung P3?
  • starfleetstarfleet Member Posts: 18
    I have a iPod Nano 5th generation ( the newest one), and it interfaces great with my 2010 NOX..........You can control it with the stering wheel control as well. I have not tried any other type of MP3. :)
  • maxiumpetemaxiumpete Member Posts: 9
    From my experience I wouldn't try it as the process took the dealership 2 days to get it done correctly on my 2LT. The physical install was the least of the problems. They were able to get the port installed in about an hour. Replacing the accessory port in the console was quick but they then had to add some wiring from the console to the radio. What took longer was the programming. It didn't work that first day so I had to come back a week later to finally get that done correctly as the system refused to recognize the new port until the programming was straightened out. Apparently, this upgrade can only be made to certain types of sound systems so they will need to check out your existing radio protocol on your Nox before they can even consider an upgrade. If you have the correct system that can be upgraded they should do it for free if it should have come with the system. You may have to work with the local GM area rep to get the dealership to move on this. The first dealership I tried to get to do this wanted to charge me $250 the second did if for free after the GM rep got involved.
  • emcd13emcd13 Member Posts: 3
    Do you know where I can find out if my Nox was supposed to have the USB port or not? I have a 2LT (built sometime before late July/August 2009), so I'm pretty sure I am supposed to get the USB port, but there is not anything in the center console besides the auxiliary input jack. The sticker from my car says the USB port should have come standard, but it also has a Bluetooth package. Would there be any reason the Bluetooth package would cancel out the USB port?

Can you take it to any dealer for the USB port to be added back in or do I need to take it to the dealer I bought it from?
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    Do you still have the original sticker ? Chances are you'll find a deduction of $75 for the missing USB port. Look to the last column of charges on the right. I think the installer was out for a month because there were a batch produced prior to July that had the USB included in a package, but not installed. My sticker gave a $75 credit for the missing port and the dealer wouldn't even consider installing it for that price. I bought mine Aug 1, 1 of his first three sales and his only sale with that port. He had no idea how to install it and obviously didn't want to burn time learning how.
  • emcd13emcd13 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, I do have the original sticker. Looks like the USB port is listed as one of the standard features. There's definitely no credit or deduction for $75 anywhere on the sticker, but maybe I need to find the actual invoice or call the dealership where I bought it (~150 miles away). I ended up buying it far away because it was one of the first few Equinoxes to make it to Texas. Tried calling a dealership closer to me today but they said I wasn't supposed to have the USB port (based on my VIN). I can't exactly figure out why the service dept. at that dealership would tell me I'm not supposed to have it, if I have it listed as a standard feature on the sticker, but maybe I already got the credit and I didn't even know it. Either way, it sounds like mine came from the same batch as yours!
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    well you're in luck since now you can go back to the (a) dealer, show the sticker with it included and where it is not installed. If you want it, Chevy would obligated to install it for free, or at least offer up a credit - not less than $75 since it wasn't installed. I'd work through a local dealer since one dealer is the same as the rest when it comes to warranty work and recalls.

I bought mine about 100 miles away but went to a local dealer for a computer replacement recall
  • texana99texana99 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2010 LTZ with the USB port. Since purchasing it about 6 months ago I have connected my IPhone with the USB port and have used the IPOD feature on the phone through the AUX input with no problem. Suddenly stopped connecting. Tried my daughter's IPOD and same thing - no connectivity, so it is not my phone settings. I can't find anything in the owners manual to address connectivity issues. Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer? Thanks!
  • crcjrc06crcjrc06 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the 2010 nox a few weeks ago, I tried to set up my bluetooth and it says in the dash when i try to config "not available" what am i doing wrong
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Crcjrc06,
    Here are the instructions to pair your phone with your vehicle. Pairing a Phone
    1. Press the CONFIG button.
    2. Select Phone Settings.
    3. Select Bluetooth.
    4. Select Pair Device (Phone).
    A four digit PIN number appears
    on the display.
    5. Start the pairing process on the
    cell phone that will be paired to
    the vehicle. Reference the cell
    phone manufacturer’s user guide
    for information on this process.
    Locate the device named
    “General Motors” in the list on
    the cell phone and follow the
    instructions on the cell phone to
    enter the four digit PIN number
    provided by the system.
    6. The system prompts for a name
    for the phone and confirms the
    name provided. This name is
    used to indicate which phone is
    connected.
    7. The system responds with
    “ has been
    successfully paired” after the
    pairing process is complete.
    8. Repeat Steps 1 through 7 to pair
    additional phones.
    If for some reason this doesn't work properly for your phone, then I would go to the dealership and have them look at the problem. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • lauridsdlauridsd Member Posts: 15
    Just picked up my 2010 Equinox 2LT FWD today, and by chance had received my new iPhone 4 last night.

I was previously concerned that the USB port in the NOX wouldn't play nice with the iPhone's iPod functionality, as I have read about a few flaky issues here, but so far I am very happy. Plugging in the iPhone, the phone initially displays a warning about a potential incompatibility (Chevy apparently didn't fork out the cash to be Apple certified,) but the car stereo immediately starts playing the music from my iPhone, and displays the artist, track title, and length info on the radio display. The steering wheel controls seem to work fine. Advancing the track from the wheel works exactly as I would expect. (Note: shortly after I plugged in the iPhone the first time, I did experience what can only be described as a "failure." While the info was still displayed on the radio, the audio stopped working right and produced a screechy static sound that buried the expected audio. I unplugged it, and have not been able to reproduce it since, so I think/hope it may have been a physical connection issue.)

My next concern was whether it would still play nice after I paired the bluetooth with the car to use the internal mic, etc. After pairing (which was straightforward, and simple,) I tested the connection and it was fine. Even plugged into the USB port, and playing music, triggering the use of the iPhone via bluetooth worked perfectly. Yeay!!

So far, big kudos to Chevy! I am digging this setup! The next thing I need to determine is how well the iPhone charging works while connected to the USB. (I have read where folks have said it still drains the iPhone battery even though its on the USB, but I will be looking for that on my next decent length drive.)

:)
    UPDATE:

I may have been a little hasty in my previous statement. After further review, I have replicated the static issue. It *seems* to occur after repeatedly using the steering wheel controls to change tracks on the iPhone when it is attached via USB.

If I just connect it and let it play, I don't seem to have the problem. Even if I use the steering wheel controls sparsely, it does not seem to occur, but if I try to switch tracks repeatedly (more than two or three times,) something balks and the static occurs.

Interestingly, when the static occurs, the car doesn't always know. Sometimes, it acts as if I paused the iPhone, (I assume because the connection itself is fubarred,) other times the radio display appears as if nothing is wrong...the track time keeps counting, but all I get is the static.

Anyone else experienced this?
  • frco2frco2 Member Posts: 1
    I just connected my phone to new equinox, paired without problem, but when calling a number the phone does not ring, at least not for me to hear, calls do go thru, watched several videos on how to pair this model, all heard ringing, am I doing something wrong? thanks
  • csellkecsellke Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys! I just bought my equinox and connected my phone to the bluetooth. Very easy to follow. It worked great for about a week, connecting everytime i got in the car automatically-- it was great! However, it stopped connecting for some reason. The blue tooth symbol is on my phone but no longer on my cars screen. I see the device is still paired, but its not connecting.... any suggestions?
  • terexterex Member Posts: 26
    Two things. . .check the bluetooth setting on your phone. Mine (a Blackberry) allows me to select if bluetooth connection is automatic or if I have to approve each time. Make sure yours is automatic. Second, if that is not the issue. Check the phone manufacturer's website. . .you may need to refresh the phone's software. If that's the case, refresh the phone and start the bluetooth pairing process all over again.
  • rsjlawrsjlaw Member Posts: 2
    My blackberry works great via bluetooth - no problems dialing out or receiving calls. However, I just got Pandora on the phone (which streams fine to a bluetooth earpiece), but I cannot get the damn think to play through the car's radio. Anyone have any insight? The only info on the web for this app seems to be for cars with "GM Music Select", whatever that may be...
    As I have previously reported, I am still having a problem with intermittent blaring static when my iPhone 4 is connected to my 2010 Equinox 2LT via the USB port and I am playing music from the iPhone's iPod app over the car stereo. The issue happens most often on initial connection. Whenever I get the static, I typically have to disconnect and re-connect the iPhone, sometimes several times in a row, before I can begin playing music again without further problems.

The problem appears to be somewhat random, but a few factors *seem* to at least contribute to the issue:

1. Connecting the iPhone with multiple apps running in "background mode".
    2. Connecting the phone without the iPod app running, or without the iPod app running in the foreground.
    3. Switching songs quickly and repeatedly using the steering wheel controls.
    4. Whether or not I wait to dismiss the error message until after the vehicle appears to be connected and has attempted to start playing music. (The error message, which occurs every time I connect the iPhone to the USB port: "THIS ACCESSORY IS NOT OPTIMIZED FOR THIS IPHONE, You may experience noise caused by cellular interference and a decrease in cellular signal strength.")

Anecdotally, I seem to have the best success when I do the following:

1. Cancel all other apps running in the background except the iPod app.
    2. Have the iPod app running, and in the foreground, with the play list or podcast loaded (or even already playing) to which I wish to listen, before I connect to the car's USB port.
    3. Physically connect the phone to the USB cable, and wait for the car to "recognize/connect to" the iPhone before I dismiss the error message.
    4. Wait at least five seconds after each track / podcast begins to play before using the steering wheel controls to skip to the next, repeat the existing, or replay the previous track.

Any other NOX owners having this intermittent static issue when you connect your iPhone via USB? If so, what have you done?

:confuse:

Thanks,
    David
    I ashamed to say I have not yet tried using any streaming audio / video apps other than the iPod app to see if the audio from the phone will play over the car's speakers. Does anyone know which (if any) other applications on the iPhone will play audio successfully over the car stereo when connected via USB?

Also, when connected via USB, I do not seem to have the full functionality of controls for the iPod app via the car's stereo controls. Specifically, I have not yet figured out how to switch between play lists, the full song list, and lists of podcasts or other iPod content. Is this possible via the car stereo controls?
  • jose138jose138 Member Posts: 3
    I was having the same problem as the previous customer, but this solution does not suffice. After step number 2, the display says "not available", which is weird, because
    A. I know the car has bluetooth
    B. Whys is the option there anyway?
    Do I need to activate something first? What is the problem?
    Also after pressing the phone button on the steering wheel, the User Manual says you should expect the system to respond "ready", but nothing happens. If I press and hold, the dash says "call list empty" or something like that. I have been unable to pair any phones.
    jose138,
    I would recommend making sure you phone works with the in vehicle bluetooth. Here is the web site to check: http://www.gm.com/handsfree/index.jsp?brand=chevrolet&landing=true. Since you are still having trouble I would recommend speaking with your dealership/sales person. They should be able to assist you in paring your phone. I apologize for any inconvenience. Please keep me updated on your progress with this issue.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Thank you Christina, I'll be taking the car to the dealer this friday and whatever solution they find I'll post as soon as possible. I have an iPhone so I don't think there should be a problem pairing it. The problem is mainly that the menu options for bluetooth are unavailable, but the hardware is equipped.
    Ok I got it... actually got it last week, but the issue was that a fuse was missing for some reason and the bloetooth device was not connected, so the settings would return a "not available" error. They hooked it up at the dealership.
    On another note, it case anyone else has a problem hearing a squezze noise from the rear/driver side suspension, it may have to do with a cable creating friction... I guess either a design mistake or perhaps particular to custom vehicles... they also insulated the cable at the dealership, so no more squeeze sound!
  • gymbo17gymbo17 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue with my 2010 LT. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • biginsfbiginsf Member Posts: 2
    I am having intermittent iPod connectivity with my 160gb iPod and both of my iPhone 4 phones. I am experimenting with the iPhones - my current tests are to close all of the open applications , including the iPod application, seems to be working. I have no thoughts about the 160gb iPod.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    I bought an new Apple ipod touch recently and it wouldn't sync with my new computer and I couldn't connect to my home wifi network. After 2 hours on the phone with Apple techs they gave up. I packed up the ipod and sent it back for a refund.
    So maybe it's not the vehicle it could be an issue with the Apple.
  • peskypelicanpeskypelican Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. Worked fine for the past 7 months with two different phones. I deleted the two devices and added them again and no-go on either of them. When I go to make a call, the bluetooth bimbo says, "calling...using (phone name)" and then, NOTHING HAPPENS.
    I think the system is having a brain fart, and I don't know how to reset it.

Side note: Both phones work with the bluetooth in our Malibu just fine, so I know it has nothing to do with the phones.
  • akarellaakarella Member Posts: 2
    listening to music on the hard drive. Shut off the vehicle. Next start, instead of continuing where it left off it goes to satellite radio,click back on HDD and it starts on songs already played instead of where it left off. Antone else have this problem? Solution?
    akarella,
    Have you spoke with your dealer? If not, I would recommend doing so.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • akarellaakarella Member Posts: 2
    Dealer re-programed the radio. working fine now.
  • brookers16brookers16 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had trouble getting the USB to work at all?? The bluetooth recognizes my iPhone 4 with no problems but no matter what I do, or how many different cords, accessories, devises I try, I cannot get my car to play any of my music devices or my iPhone 4. It's driving me crazy!! When you all use your USB does the computer system automatically recognize that a device is plugged in or am I missing a step somewhere??

Thanks,
    Brooke
  • controllerkkcontrollerkk Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new 2012 base Equinox and notice it only has 3mm plug for auxiliary input. What would it take to be able to use a USB connection? Beyond the new jack in the center console, is the radio able to accept this use? Could it be as simple as getting a new jack and the radio woudl accept the plug configuration? And if I haven't asked enough, is there any place that details removal of the center console and radio?

Thanks in advance to all responses.
  • mrcarovilmrcarovil Member Posts: 1
    The first problem I had was with the time display, the time shown was approx 10 to 15 mins more than the current time. I would set the time and after awhile the time was 10 to 15 mins fast. I took to the dealer and they updated the software and it cleared the problem. After that I am having a problem with the HDD FAV presets. When I add items to the playlist FAV it works ok for a day or two then the Playlist FAV resets and I loose all the songs I saved. The same thing happens with the Albums FAV, the Artist FAV and the Genres FAV. The radio presets are working ok. I took it back to the dealer and they tried another software upgrade, problem still there. I went back to the dealer and they replaced the radio, that didn't fix the problem.. Has anyone seen this problem and maybe a fix for it?
  • tdgboytdgboy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Equinox and want to know if it's possible to buy a model factory stereo that DOES have bluetooth and install it into my car so I can have bluetooth. Not sold on ONSTAR and think it's a waste.
  • josemanjoseman Member Posts: 1
    Anyone knows what pioneer stereo is compatible with the audio of chevy equinox 2006?
  • cpontanicpontani Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2012 Equinox. It has the USB plug for my 30GB iPod. I've been able to use it for a few days...I can control it through the stereo...love it. However, the past two days, I plugged it in, and was listening to podcasts on a playlist for 10 minutes or so, and it just stops mid-podcast. The stereo screen is frozen, and my iPod says it's now safe to disconnect. I don't know what could have caused this. There's no problem with the iPod, as I use it all day at work.

Any ideas? Software refresh at the dealer?

As a side note, the bluetooth work great with my BlackBerry.

Thanks in advance!
  • kantillkantill Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Had the EQ for week now. Still getting use to everything. We have 3 diff smartphones-all are recognize by the Bluetooth and paired up fine. Phone book occasionally shows up for my husbands iphone4g- phone book pops right up for my daughters LG vortex......but the most important phone-mine-HTCThunderbolt-no phone book at all. I seen on the GM website that my phone is not check marked for this feature, but was not a feature for the iPhone and my daughters phone wasn't even listed.....so, so much for the website. My question...anyone have a Verizon thunderbolt able to use phone book feature?
  • jcasadajcasada Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased a brand new 2012 Equinox LS. The minute we drove it home we could smell a burning/hot smell...we assumed it was just because it was brand new. However, after a longer drive one day we brought the car back and it smelled really awful. We checked the oil and it didn't register...we put carboard underneath and oil was pouring out. We took it to our local garage and they had it a week, replacing the rear main seal and galley plugs. So after 1000 miles the engine and transmission had to be taken out to fix this problem. Now a week later, we will be returning back to the shop because it is still leaking. We've spoken with GM about what is happening and they aren't a lot of help. Is anyone having this problem?? Did your garage know how to fix it??
  • eqbilleqbill Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a used 2011 Equinox 1LT from a dealer. The sales person was totally clueless. How can I tell if I have the standard radio or the premium? I can see a microphone in the ceiling over the drivers seat and there are phone controls on the steering wheel. When I go to the phone on the menu is says "not available". Am I looking for a bad fuse or does this thing not have bluetooth? It does have a USB connection in the console which works great. I really need bluetooth however so if it is not included (what extras actually come with 1LT?) I need to find a way to add it. Is there a place to punch in the VIN and find out what was actually installed on this vehicle?
  • yoshkcyoshkc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012, but i assume you will have the same set up, you have to go to the bluetooth menu first and pair your device. (which if its a current gen android device you will have to DECLINE the phone book integration on the phone pop up or it will continuously connect and disconnect)
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    egbill,

I would be happy to check into the features on your vehicle if you wanted to get me the last 8 digits of your VIN (my email address in my profile is fine). Just let me know which features you're interested in knowing about when you get in touch.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • eeg622eeg622 Member Posts: 1
    Sarah,

I have the same issue with my 2011 LT. I have the speaker in the ceiling and the bluetooth button on the steering wheel, but when I go to the driver information center to activate it, it says Not Available. Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated!
    Erin
  • ukon33ukon33 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get any feedback on your problem? I'm having the same issue and it is very frustrating! The only way I can control my ipod is to use the 3.5mm line in plug and then use the menus on the ipod itself. Not cool!

Thanks!
  • lazy_boneslazy_bones Member Posts: 28
    The thing in the ceiling over the driver's head is the noise sensor location for the I-4 sound-deadening feedback - there's an identical one over the rear seat in the center. The bluetooth / OnStar microphone is in the top console, driver's side, next to the light switch.
    Erin,

I'm sorry that your post was missed! My initial question is have you already gone through the pairing process? I've included the steps below. What type of phone are you using?

Sarah
    GM Customer Service

Pairing a Phone
    1. Press the CONFIG button.
    2. Select Phone Settings.
    3. Select Bluetooth.
    4. Select Pair Device (Phone).
    A four‐digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) appears on the display.
    5. Start the pairing process on the cell phone that will be paired to the vehicle. Reference the cell phone manufacturers user guide for information on this process. Locate the device named “Your Vehicle” in the list on the cell phone and follow the instructions on the cell phone to enter the PIN provided by the system.
    6. The system prompts for a name for the phone and confirms the name provided. This name is used to indicate which phone is connected.
    7. The system responds with “ has been successfully paired” after the pairing process is complete.
    8. Repeat Steps 1 through 7 to pair additional phones.
    I'm sorry you're having difficulty with your vehicle's infotainment system. Have you had any luck in getting this figured out since your post? If you decide to get this checked into, please let us know.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service