Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR2 Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• lnmlnm Member Posts: 13
    $500 over invoice is a really good price. My understanding is that prices are actually low as this is a first year model and LR really wants to get more of them on the road to advertise. I'm assuming next year's model will be offered for a higher invoice. Land Rover dealers are very polite (usually) and this leads to the impression that they don't do much negotiating. Whether this is just the impression they want to give or is true, I don't know. All attempts at negotiating with my local dealer failed so I went to another dealer further away, made my offer, waited a couple of weeks and then made my offer again. Both dealers explained to me that they have to add something to invoice as they don't make much money if they sell their trucks at invoice. They said LR corporate doesn't give them much for flooring and holding. Maybe it is true, then, that they can't sell too close to invoice? All I know is that I'm very happy with my LR2 that I bought for $500 over invoice. It's a very nice car and I really enjoy driving it!
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Ditto regarding Portland OR having only one dealer. They were offering buyers $1K off the LR2 for attending the Portland Auto show until mid Feburary. The sales people , at least by email, were polite and reasonably informative.
    However, the LR factory reps at that show grossly understated the LR2's weight and got a number of facts wrong (they claimed they worked at LR !!).
    The dealer made a mistake by referring me to a European auto test site showing the LR2 folding around a pole in a side impact (an Audi Q7 in that test deformed much less - so did a few other cars ). Not reassuring at all.
  • jeremyljeremyl Member Posts: 5
    Yeay - nice people at Portland but wont deal. They offered me the $3K dealer incentive and $1K show special, so I was willing to pay that price. But they only had one car left. The rep I spoke with said it was mine if I wanted it... I assumed they would hold it for me... but apparently not and they sold it. Guess I will go buy a new Subaru.
  • jax10jax10 Member Posts: 36
    Patience, perserverance....Don't give up that easy, you can find one that will deal. (I don't live in Oregon) Had my HSE for 5 weeks, driven 2000 miles so far, love it, so far. Thought & read about it for a long time before I finally bought it. Last Sept., first salesman, SE "price is MSRP" I left. Dec., Another dealership SE & HSE, pretty good price...then, went back to first dealership, they gave me a deal on HSE, you just have to find the right person. It is worth it. Unless I start having problems with it, I plan to drive this for a very long time, think I made right decision, it is very special. Don't just get a Subaru, (nothing against Subaru), but you only live once.
  • jlresqjlresq Member Posts: 14
    I am looking to buy a new (not demo) LR2 HSE with cold climate package only. I am located in the New York area. Color is flexible other than flame. This is the cleanest deal ever with no trade, no financing, no lease and I am ready to buy. Because this is an easy transaction, I should be able to shop the price pretty well. What should I have to pay OTD and is there a convenient way to shop the price in the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut area? I ready to buy. Thanks.
  • div3804div3804 Member Posts: 7
    I bought LR SE on 12-31-07 from Paul Miller in Woodbridge, NJ with Cold pak. brand new in Black for $29998 plus tax.
    Thanks. I am looking for the HSE and not the SE. Any thoughts on $500 over invoice? Also, has anyone figured out how to add a homelink (or a homelink mirror) and a portable GPS that fits in the Nav window?
  • newguy9newguy9 Member Posts: 2
    I leased a LR2 SE
    Got Narvick Black, lighting package, cold climate- NO Nav system (got my own & i leased)
    I paid $1500 down & leased for $423 (including tax) part of my down payment was to get the millage from 10,500 to 12,000.
    I've had it for 4 days & love it (the gas millage is brutal) but it is all wheel drive & that's the price of it i guess.
    Wondering if i got a decent deal or not?
    My salesman knew nothing about the options, so i had to figure most things out myself- does the lines on the front window drive anyone besides me nuts??
    I thought I just ordered a new LR2 HSE on Saturday but now I have been told that the order can't actually be placed until the first week of March by the dealer. Is this normal?
  • manupmanup Member Posts: 24
    How did you do on the price ? Did you get close to the $500 over invoice you mentioned in a previous post?
    I paid $500 over invoice but got into an argument with the dealer as to what the invoice price was. In the end, I agreed that the invoice price included his $340 rag fee for advertising the car. He showed me an invoice which included this fee. I refused to and did not agree to pay the mandatory charge for the floor mats.They will be thrown in. I also refused to agree to pricing at time of delivery which is another thing the dealer tried to slip by me notwithstanding boilerplate to the contrary on their own form.
  • manupmanup Member Posts: 24
    Looks like you got what you wanted in the end? From reading previous posts I gather the "advertising fee" is legit? What state and/or what dealer did you deal with?
    Long Island New York.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    That is the right RAG(Regional Advertising Group) for the new york market.
    Is it customary to charge the buyer for this fee. I never paid it for any other make or model of a car.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Member Posts: 2,197
    It is on the invoice and is a real part of the cost to the dealer.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    You probably did but never knew it.
    Thanks. I thought the Edmunds invoice price was the gospel but there is a footnote about advertising costs.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123
    It all depends on your negotiation..

If you say, "I'll give you $500 over invoice", then you should expect that invoice to have charges you never dreamed of..

If you say, "I'll give you $25,000 plus tax, title and license", then there shouldn't be any advertising charges... After all, that is the dealer's invoice, not yours..

Use all the information that you can find.... but, make your offers in actual dollars and cents... That doesn't mean they won't try to add charges... but, at least you'll know exactly what you are offering.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

f you say, "I'll give you $25,000 plus tax, title and license", then there shouldn't be any advertising charges.

But since RAG is part of the invoice it will be a factor in the dealer's decision to sell the car at the customer's offer.
    In fact, I agreed with the sales manager at $500 over invoice and we were both all smiles until, just to be cautious, I reduced it to a hard number. Only then did the sales manager say he meant $500 over HIS invoice, not the Edmunds invoice number. While that technique left a lasting bad taste in my mouth and wiped out any degree of trust that the actual salesman had built up with me, the sales manager did produce and invoice showing the RAG charge.
    True..

Still.. making offers at $XXX over invoice leaves a lot to interpretation..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

How could you be angry? He showed you his invoice, did he not. When he starts paying the manufacturer whatever Edmunds, Kelly, etc. say the invoice is, them you would have a right to be angry.
    Easy answer. All of the negotiations took place while looking at the Edmunds numbers. It was only after we agreed on $500 over invoice that he first slipped in over HIS invoice. Never before did he bring that up in the give and take. Trust me--it was slippery.I also just found out today that my order was just placed and the car will not be delivered until June. I was told by the dealer at the time I signed the contract that the delivery delay was estimated at 2 months. Now it is close to four months. Not a big deal for me but certainly not what I has initially told.
    Was the salesman aware of the fact that the negotiation from both parties was based on the Edmund's version of invoice and was he aware of the difference to the real invoice?
    I think you guys are making my point...

First.. you have to decide what the definition of "is" is.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nickdiducanickdiduca Member Posts: 2
    was it brand new, or a demo with a few thousand miles?
    The vehicle was to be ordered so it was a brand new, 2008, LR2 HSE. I even told him that to make the deal more attractive to him, I would like to add the $795 dealer priced wood option with who knows what as a markup. I can't make it any clearer than I already have. The salesman was truly embarrassed at the way the negotiation went as soon as the sales manager got involved.
  • 3dg3dg Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,
    first post. Thinking of trading in my 2005 TL for a LR2.
    Haven't test driven it yet, but I will soon. I liked the looked the look and feel at the Chicago auto show.

But, visiting a dealer this week, nothing formal, no paperwork, but he basically said a 2008 LR2 with NAV is about $41k.

What I'm reading here are much better deals. Anyone have any info / insight for pricing / purchase in the Chicago area?

Thanks!
    The MSRP on a tech car is $41400. There currently is no dealer cash on them. He had no reason at that point to enter a negotiation.
    Every car dealer has reason to enter a negotiation, if they want to sell a car.

I picked up a 2008 LR2, brand new, with Navigation tech package, cold climate, bluetooth, lighting package, and all weather mats for $39,000.
    He hadn't even test driven the car yet. If you haven't even driven the car you haven't shown enough interest for me to offer up any kind of price beyond what is on the sticker.
    Foolish response IMHO. With fuel prices where they are (and going higher), with the economy where it is (and getting worse) any dealer has an incentive to make the deal so attractive that the buyer can not pass up the deal, whether he has test driven the car or not. The same dealers who need the buyer to express interest to get them out of their chairs are the same ones who will be sitting with inventory they can't unload as things get worse before they get better. Face it folks- yes-- I did buy a new LR2 on the come but Land Rover has a dismal reputation for reliability and it is the buyer , not the dealer, who needs an incentive to buy this new product--can you say--what's the country code for India?
    You can think whatever you want but in most instances unless you have test driven the vehicle do not expect to move past the basic introductory stage of a car deal. Unless I have experience with the customer before hand or they are a referral/friend of another customer I am not sitting down to talk price till they drive the car. Why waste time talking about the price of a car if you don't like how it drives?

I have had people that all they wanted to talk about was price, price, price but I pushed for the test drive first. After the test drive they realized that vehicle was not the one for them. Some of them moved to another Land Rover model and some went on to a completely different brand but they were all glad that they test drove the vehicle first.

You have to build value in your product and you can't build value without some kind of demonstration.
    I understand your perspective. For some customers, price point determines whether they want or can afford to own the car and if they can't afford it, they need not waste time test driving it. Let's put this quibble aside and perhaps you can answer a question near and dear to my heart that has been left unanswered on another forum. I would appreciate it. My question is "has anyone found a Homelink mirror or other convenient way to add a garage door opener short of the actual transmitters that come with the garage doors." When I spoke with Land Rover, they had not yet addressed the issue of missing Homelink in the LR2. Sure would be nice if they, or someone else, did. The manufacturers of the Homelink mirrors do not have an LR2 mirror. I was hoping someone would have an answer to what appears to be an oversight on the part of Land Rover..
    I'd like to ask a serious question of you, british_rover, and anyone else who cares to chime in.
    I am seriously considering an LR2 'soon.' I love the design and features of the vehicle, that it's off-road capable, yet rides nice and gets reasonable gas mileage yet has decent performance and towing capability.
    BUT, 2 things worry me that I hope folks can help on:
    1) Land Rover reliability and quality is DEAD LAST out of ALL car makers, according to latest CR magazine. The LR2 seems to be having it's share of teething problems according to this and other boards. But I do hold out some hope that it could break the LR cycle due to Ford's input (Ford is the highest ranking American car company in reliability and is rending upward) and due to this vehicle sharing so much with the Volvo. I do NOT want to purchase (or lease) a vehicle that's going to be a PIA for me. I'd be replacing a Navigator which has been great reliabiity wise.
    2) Are u planning to change your handle to "india_rover"? Serious question - how is this purchase by Tata going to affect owners? I am pretty leery of this issue.

Thanks for any help.
    On the reliability issue, I chose to order the car hoping that one manufactured in April would be more reliable than the first few off the line. No idea on the India issue other than to say that I doubt it will make things easier for customers in the US.
    If you read up on Tata Industries, you will find that they are #1 in steel production, #2 in tea and also how well they have folded companies into the conglomerate. It only bids well for LR and Jag. Production in the foreseeable future will remain in England for both vehicles.
  • u2fan1967u2fan1967 Member Posts: 19
    jeyhoe,
    All i can say regarding reliability is what I have experienced. So my 2 cents (1 cent with inflation) ..

While some folks posted early and often about issues with early production models,...I bought mine in August 07' and now have 9000 miles on it and I have not had one single problem. Not even the Sunroof issue. zilcho, nada. I live in New england its been a brutal winter with multiple snow storms depositing over 1ft of snow each and tough temperatures, etc. and in all aspects, the LR2 SE has been perfect. I have not had one single complaint. And as my wife would tell ya, I'm a picky SOB who's hard to please when it comes to cars. :D

Either I'm one very lucky consumer, or their really is something to be said for vehicles coming off the assembly line later in the production year. My guess is that they fixed many of the early issues by the time mine came off the line, which tells me that the new 08 HSE model closes even more issues. So your chances of having major problems are pretty slim. Not to mention, you get free service for 5yr/50,000miles and its got a full warranty, so your covered.

Even my wife's brand new 2006 Audi A4 has had several nasty electrical and power window issues, etc. whereas I have had none. Take a look at Audi's ratings in CR and they are far superior to Land Rover. But her vehicle has been riddled with issues. So CR ratings don't tell the whole picture. It has more to do with probability and statistics and when the vehicle was made. In my opinion.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Are you sure on the warranty period--5/50,000. I thought it was less?
    The Factory warranty is 4/50
    Thanks, u2. I appreciate positive feedback like this. And I'm quite familiar with how tough New England winters can be on cars, having lived thru lets see ... about 23 of them myself.

I know CR isnt the be-all end-all, but it's a pretty large chunk of data. Funny thing is that the Navigator is black-balled in there too yet mine has been a dream (46000 miles) I did have a couple of warrantee issues and I bought a Ford extended warrantee at a good price just in case, so I'm covered to 75000 miles. I want to get something smaller (and better on gas :) next time and the LR2 is at the top of the list right now.
  • jjthecatjjthecat Member Posts: 11
    I wanted to run these LR2 prices by other LR2 owners. I got a quote for $466 for 24months/12,000 $1,400 start ups and that is with the $1,500 customer rebate the 36month one was actually $540. I asked about the X plan and he said Ford is selling them within a few days. I got the quote a week ago. The LR2 has cold climate package and is the SE. Between this and the Infiniti EX35 any thoughts from the LR people? Thanks in advance. Any real good points I can tell my dad would be great because he hates LR. Also, I was discussing this with a friend and he said "why would you buy a Ford Escape because that is what the LR2 is" Ouch. He thinks is A4 is the best. Personally, I'm not big on Audi.
    "I was discussing this with a friend and he said "why would you buy a Ford Escape because that is what the LR2 is" Ouch"

You need to get smarter friends! ;) The LR2 shares nothing with the Escape AFAIK. It is more like a Volvo than anything else. Which is a good thing from many perspectives. However, now that LR and Ford are divorcing, LR no longer has the connection to Volvo so this bothers me about the future of the LR2. And maintenance, parts etc. Seems so stupid to me that Ford put so much money into Jag and LR and now those 2 brands have more and better product than ever in their history and Ford sells them - probably at a fire sale price. A shame.

I've read reviews of the EX35. It interests me a lot. Looks real nice, and I dont like the looks of the FX at all. Most likely a more reliable vehicle than the LR2, based on historical data. However, off road or in snow, etc, I'd be very surprised if the Infiniti could come close to the LR2's capabilities.
  • newguy9newguy9 Member Posts: 2
    I leased one for $423 with 1700 at signing. I got the SE with cold weather & xenon light package. I've had it for a month & wouldn't trade it for anything. we just got 2 feet of snow in 30 hours (cleveland) - no one could move except me & my LR.
    I made the payment with a smile. My brother (dummy) got the infiniti about 1 yr. ago & would trade me in a second. I've also owned the BMW X3 the LR2 is better than both vehicles & tell your dad the service can't be beat, its FREE for your lease.
    One bad thing to note is that it does not come with floor mats (which seems petty EXCEPT that they cost $120 for floor mats) for the price of this truck they should come with it.
  • barryh_gegbarryh_geg Member Posts: 5
    I have two vehicles in the family and have always had at least one SUV. Eighteen months ago I decided to get two cars (greener) with the winter car being a loaded CTS with dedicated snow tires. We had a brutal winter and the CTS did fine but it's no SUV and the complete lack of hauling capability in the family was a bummer. Enter the LR2.

Truthfully, the lure of the LR2 was primarily financial. I'm X-Plan qualified and with the $3K incentive on the SE it's a pretty compelling deal - especially with the LR2 holding it's resale value so well. Trying to find an SE with all three packages months after the incentive launched was a challenge. I managed to find one in a nearby State that ended up being an even better deal. It's Silver/Black and was entered in to the LR demo/loaner program but never driven (less than 100 miles). It's been sitting on display at the airport. With all the discounts it ended up being $34K. I'll pick it up this week sometime.

So why the LR2? I wanted something on the small/medium side. The usual suspects like the CR-V, Highlander, Vue, Escape are all soul-less and really tall economy cars with extra storage space. Next tier up is X3, EX35, RDX, EX350. I've owned and loved BMWs but as soon as you start ticking off options their price becomes comical. There's a $10K MSRP difference between a loaded LR2 and comparable X3. Also, you can usually get $2-3K max off a BMW so with my discounts the LR2 is about $13K less. The EX35 is new but they aren't flying off the lots as proven by a pretty hefty incentive only a couple of months after their introduction. The "coupe" SUV/CUV thing is cool but with 5" of ground clearance and no meaningful storage what's the point? I've owned Acura's and the quality of materials is great off the showroom floor but the cost-cutting starts to show about a year in to ownership. Lexus' are commonplace and passionless. So LR2 is unique because: it's "unique," it's a fairly new design so will remain fresh for a while, fully loaded is has everything I want (except Homelink), and it's predicted to hold it's resale very well (let's see what Tata does to that).

I had a new 1995 Disco II for about a year through an old job and never had any problems and loved the LR quirkiness. Quality is kind of a luck of the draw thing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my LR2 will defy the JD Powers averages.

So that's my story; your mileage may vary...
    barry -
    I'm right there with you. Souless is a good term, and the reason I've not gone with the highlander, etc. I traded an Acura TL, which was great, but after 3 plus years, it felt EVERY bump in the road. Nothing wrong with it - I'm just getting old!

The fact that the LR2 isn't seen around much, even here in the Chicago area, makes me wonder. Is it so new and uncommon? Or is it not good? Either way, I'm one week into it today, and love it. Had the mudflaps added the other day, and tinted the front windows to match the rear.
    Now, if my blue specialty plate would ever show up, we'd be all set!
  • paulwleepaulwlee Member Posts: 2
    he said "why would you buy a Ford Escape because that is what the LR2 is" Ouch. He thinks is A4 is the best.

Ask him "why would you buy a Volkswagen because that is what the Audi is". (Which is as untrue as the statement that the LR2 is an Escape.)
    ok great, I would love to tell him that. lol.
    Just curious if you don't mind me asking was the $1700 out of pocket or dealer cash? How many months/miles? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.