Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Hybrid Battery Pack Questions

2»

Comments

• filopez75filopez75 Member Posts: 1
    Can you email me the article? Or the right instructions to rebuild my pack. I would like to rebuild my battery pack. I read the article but you found some errors. :P
  • budileebudilee Member Posts: 2
    No body wants to hand over information eh? I believe they want your ten dollars before you can get an article not really worth ten dollars. How's your rebuild going? Good luck with that one...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    It's probably not been handed over for free by another member because it would be a violation of copyright law to re-distribute that article. While the article may not be worth $10, handing it over is probably also not worth risking.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jer45jer45 Member Posts: 3
    So Honda could basically disconnect its functions and fut gas mileage, so as to extend the battery life instead of making a better battery, or replacing the batteries which are not living up to expectations and promises.

Good-bye, Honda. I have six Hondas. Never again.
  • SheltieManSheltieMan Member Posts: 5
    I am just furious and disgusted with Honda.

We bought our HCH as a Honda Certified used car from XXXXXX Honda about three years ago. According to the records, we are the second owners of this vehicle. It had about 60,000 miles on it at that time. In the three years we have owned it, we have put on about another 60,000 miles or so. In December of 2008, the catalytic converter suddenly failed and we returned it to the dealer for repairs and an explanation. We were able to resolve the problem, but with an out-of-pocket cost of $736.00. Though we had never had a catalytic converter fail in over 25 years of Chrysler auto ownership, we chalked it up as an unfortunately painful and expensive experience with a used car.

Then from February to May of 2009, we had a series of “Engine” lights that required us to spend about $560.00 (some for “Engine” light-related work again). In February of 2010, we had to pay another $726.00 to replace all of the engine sensors.

A week or so ago, we suddenly started to get an “Engine” light and an “IMA” light at frequent, but irregular, intervals. At the same time, the fuel mileage gradually decreased by about 8 to 10 MPG. The panel lights would come and go, sometimes together, on no particular pattern we could discover. We took the car to XXXXXX Honda for diagnosis, where we were told the battery module was failing and that a replacement would cost approximately $5310.00. They also told us that they did not know what might happen if we continued to drive the car in this state. Apparently, we now own a car that we
    • Cannot afford to repair
    • Cannot rely on
    • Don’t know if we can even safely drive, and
    • On which we still have about two years of payments.
    The car is otherwise in great shape, according to the dealer. However, We've put enough cash into it (if we throw in the battery) to damned near buy it twice.

I called Honda America today and when I asked for assistance, I was given a polite but firm "No." :mad:

As a result, I'm mailing a letter to them tomorrow. I'm also going to file a Better Business Bureau complaint against Honda America. I may also talk this over with my attorney. From what I'm seeing online about the HCH, they're cruising for a class action suit over these cars. :lemon:
  • electriclambelectriclamb Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone!

I am the guy who wrote the Home Power.com article (issue 137) on IMA pack rebuilding. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on this subject, but the article covers most everything you will need to rebuild your pack yourself. Paying the Home power fee is a very small price to learn something this useful. And no, I am not being paid to say this either! LOL!
    LOL< You are too funny Ron. I did not quote you in the article art all, I only mentioned the price you charged per your website as of the date I was writing the article. Hardly my fault you keep jacking up your prices! LOL!

And as far as errors in the article... Ha! they are too small to even be mentioned as significant for a rebuild. Anyone who can follow simple instructions can do the rebuild fine.

BTW, If you had simply been helpful when I asked last year, I may have gone out of my way to keep your info in the article. But since you chose to blow me off when I had questions, I thought the editors choice to delete your info appropriate for the article.

What goes around comes around, you know. LOL!
    Hi,

I just found your posting and felt that you should know that everything you mentioned wrong with your HCH is dependent on the condition of the IMA pack. You see, most of the car's sensors use it as a reference voltage and if the pack has some cells messing up, some of the sensors will seem to as well. When I first got my used 03 HCH it had a bunch of error codes in the computer just like yours has. They all went away after I rebalanced (aka, rebuilt) the pack cells. So fixing the pack also fixes 99% of your other problems automatically.

Dealers dont like replacing IMA packs because Honda gives them a really hard time about it (very expensive for them and the cells are not made by Panasonic anymore and it seem to be hard to get). Your local Honda dealer changed all that other stuff mainly out of ignorance (desperation?) and the fact that Honda will pay them without too much bother for sensors... I will also bet you there was nothing wrong with any of the replaced parts! LOL!

Now that my 03 HCH is working right I love it! 54- 57 MPG every week! Rebuilding is the way to go, I say!
  • ergasiomaniaergasiomania Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your article Michael, very informative.
    To clarify, for those who scoff at paying $10 to become an online member of Home Power, this gives access to all articles. If you drive a hybrid, you may find this publication interesting. Also, If you aren't motivated enough to pay ten bucks, I doubt if you would actually rebuild your own battery pack anyway.

Michael, is it possible to "plug in" a HCH to top-off the IMA pack? For the purpose of battery conditioning and increased assist / mph due to a full pack.

Also when searching for junk yard buys, do you know the year range of compatible batteries? I have a 2009 we are watching sceptically and documenting for decreased milage. We had an IMA light with code indicating "module deterioration" they "fixed it" with a program update. Currently 29 mpg in city.

Finally, I don't consider a 2003 year model to be that old to require such a rebuild. I wonder if 2003 Prius owners are facing the same difficulties.

Thanks!
  • steward52steward52 Member Posts: 1
    Hello-

I have a HONDA Civic 03 and need to refurbish the battery pack. I am glad to subscribe to Home Power magazine. Is this something that a shade tree person such as myself can accomplish?

I also have Catalitic Converter issues. Any advice on that?

Thanks in advance.

jay Gilliam Raphine Virginia
  • bigredonebigredone Member Posts: 5
    Before trying to do this yourself I would suggest going to http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com and giving this guy a call. It will defiantly cost you more but you also get a one year warranty and this guy has a wealth of information about hybrid systems. I think he said it takes him about a week or more to repair a battery pack and he does this every day. I replaced mine with one from this site and if I had to do it again I could probably change it in about 15 minutes. It took me about 45 minutes but I was double checking all the steps. After replacing the hybrid battery and clearing your codes you might not actually have a problem with your catalytic converter. I would wait and see if the converter problem exists after the battery replacement. I initially had codes that said that my O2 sensors needed to be replaced but the codes never came back and I went to an auto parts store and used their tester to make sure.
  • jack000jack000 Member Posts: 16
    I tried starting my car tonight and when I went past the II towards III, the green key light blinks (the immobilizer won't let me start the car!) The key fob works to unlock and lock the car and I checked the (12v) battery voltage (it was at 13.4v), so that wasn't the problem either.

HELP!!!
  • edpow3edpow3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid (Purchased new) with 246000 miles. My IMA and Check Engine lights came on a couple of months ago but I kept driving with no decrease in mileage. The other night I drove it to the store and back home. The next morning it was completely dead. I charged it with my charger and started it up. There were no bars showing on the IMA battery indicator until I drove it for about 5 miles. The error codes are 1433 and 1600. After it was charged I parked it and it was again dead the next morning. I took the 12 battery out and had it checked at AutoZone. It checked good (I was hoping it was bad). Returned it to the car. I am currently unplugging the negative terminal of the 12 volt battery when I park it for any length of time and then reconnecting and driving it as needed. Each time I reconnect and start it the IMA shows no bars until a couple of miles are driven but I see no difference in mileage driving it this way. I am not totally convinced that it is a failed battery pack yet and have been trying other work-a-rounds. In the meantime, you can drive with an apparent failed IMA by unplugging the negative lead on the 12 volt battery. If you don't, the IMA will drain it and it will require a charge. More to come as I keep experimenting.
    I replaced the battery on my Civic earlier this year with a refurbished battery from http://www.hybrid-battery-repair.com and the process was very easy and only took about a half hour. It was also about half the price of a Honda dealer. Anyway, when you re-attach your 12 volt battery the car needs to re-learn the IMA battery charge state and condition. To do this you need to rev your engine to above 3000 RPM's for about two to three minutes before you start driving your car. The charge indicator will start going up and when it reaches its maximum charge state it will stop. At this point the car will have learned the condition of your IMA system and should start working normally.
    The 1433 code has something to do with the IMA circuitry and the 1600 code is a generic code for an IMA battery problem. Considering the age of your car and the mileage I would say you have more than exceeded the life expectancy of your IMA battery and related systems and congratulations on that. You obviously have taken very good care of your car.
    The battery probably does need to be replaced but you will have to weigh the cost benefit with the value of your car. At the time I replaced mine it was $1600.00 plus shipping from the above mentioned web site (with exchange of your old battery) but their prices may have changed slightly since then. The refurbished battery comes with a one year warranty. If you go to a Honda dealer it will probably cost you in the neighborhood of $3000.00 or more (depending on where you live and the shops hourly rate) and you will get a two year warranty. :)
  • priscilla7priscilla7 Member Posts: 1
    OK, I am New and been freaking out over this. Please give me some advice. We bought a 2004 Honday civic hybrid. We have owned it for about two years. We have 65,000 miles on it. We ALSO bought it from a ford dealer and purchased an extended fixer plus warrenty.

We just replaced lat year the small normal battery pack, WE NOW have this hybrid light on, according to google and my husband it means we will have to replace the 3,000 some battery. One we just had our second child, I am a stay at home mom, reason why we bought an extended warrenty.

Well, They called it wear and tear problem and isn;t covered. It's a expensive battery. We can not afford it, It is our only car. What are we to do?

Any suggestions, We called a honda place and they want us to bring it in and they will look at it, might be covered by the original honda thing, IF it is covered no cost to us. If it isn't we will have to pay a small fee. We can not afford for either because of this time of year.

We get the car service regualry, and everything. All these problems so fast with a new car.

We usually have some money saved but we bought our old house last year and all our money went into that and replairs.

Should this be somthing covered by the warrenty. We even bought an extended one. IT's bull crap, I knew we should of bought a new car.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • edpow3edpow3 Member Posts: 2
    Finally took it to a Honda dealer. The dead 12v battery was caused by the air conditioner relay sticking in the active position. The IMA batteries also need replacing. Total cost for all is $2700.00, a lot less than I thought it would be.
  • abaggy72abaggy72 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a 03 Civic Hybrid, what does it cost to rebuild the battery yourself? Will you sendm e the how to's? Thanks
  • lcruiselcruise Member Posts: 3
    I may be willing to sell you mine. Where do you live?
    Seriously. I currently drive an '03 HCH and am the second owner. I bought it certified in 2006 and have loved it! That was until 2 days ago when the dealership told me it needed a new IMA battery to the tune of $3600! Wow!

Despite all I've read on the forum (I'm a newbie), my civic has been wonderful. Repair and pain free. Now that I'm more educated from this site re: hybridology, I'm getting a bit worried. The fact that I began to notice a drop in mileage (I still get 38-40 in a hilly town) and a slight "cough" in acceleration about 8 months ago is now beginning to make sense. I've always driven it for best mileage, sometimes hyper-miling and have taken good care of the car. I was lucky enough to contact the original owner who emailed me a spreadsheet of his excellent history and records, so no surprises there. Too bad I lost his records with a computer crash; I have all mine, however, and still have his contact info.

I cannot, no way, afford this repair at this time. I'm considering having the battery rebuilt given the good reports I read about the guys at Hybrid-Battery-Repair. Trouble is, I cannot do the work, so what type of mechanic would I look for to remove and install it for me??

Another BIG question, and I've seen conflicting answers to this question here and on GreenHybrid forums, is "Can I drive my civic WITHOUT the IMA battery in it while it is being rebuilt?"

The car will be paid off in 5 months, which makes this really a bummer! Is it worthwhile to do this repair? I'm concerned about more costly repairs ahead.
    All experience and expertise offered will be much appreciated!!
  • hybridized23hybridized23 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have an 03' Civic Hybrid with a battery that needs a rebuild. I have already paid the ten dollars for the article from home power(it's been very handy). I have the battery out of my car and disassembled down to the 20 individual cells. My question is about the specs of the batteries? What is the mAh capacity and rated voltage of the cells? Also if anyone has any recommendations for a charge and discharge current?

Thanks
  • Chuck_FChuck_F Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Hi;
    My Civic's hybrid battery is dying and instead of replacing it with the Nickel battery pack I was wondering if anyone out there knows about upgrading it to a lithium battery back. Thanks for any advice...
    Chuck
    I'm a woman in need of help! from some of you guys with experience out there. Reading here has been very informational, but I've not seen my question answered. I currently drive an '03 HCH and am the second owner. I bought it certified in 2006 and have loved it! That was until about 3 weeks ago when the Honda dealership told me it needed a new IMA battery to the tune of $3600! Wow!

Despite all I've read on the forum (I'm a newbie), my civic has been wonderful. Repair and pain free. Now that I'm more educated from this site re: hybridology, I'm getting a bit worried. The fact that I began to notice a drop in mileage (I still get 38-40 in a hilly town) and a slight "cough" in acceleration about 8 months ago is now beginning to make sense. I've always driven it for best mileage, sometimes hyper-miling and have taken good care of the car. I was lucky enough to contact the original owner who emailed me a spreadsheet of his excellent history and records, so no surprises there. Too bad I lost his records with a computer crash; I have all mine, however, and still have his contact info.

I cannot, no way, afford this repair at this time. I'm considering having the battery rebuilt given the good reports I read about the guys at Hybrid-Battery-Repair. I've spoken to them; it could take up to 6 weeks turn-around time. Trouble is, I cannot remove and re-install my battery and I'm thinking the dealer will not do it for me, *** so what type of mechanic would I look for to remove and install it for me?? ***

The car will be paid off in 5 months, which makes this really a bummer! Is it worthwhile to do this repair? I'm concerned about more costly repairs ahead.
    All experience and expertise offered will be much appreciated!!
    Thanks!! Lila
  • adam801adam801 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I am considering buying a re-furbished battery from this company for my '05 HCH and was wondering if someone that has first-hand experience in dealing with them would let me know how that experience went and if they are satisfied or not.

Thanks in advance.
  • bigchief112bigchief112 Member Posts: 1
    Hi - If it the place in Staten Island then I recommend them. They have the best disconnect instructions and the price is worth the wait!!!!... The owner Ron is very helpful..
  • sean70sean70 Member Posts: 1
    Ron at Hybrid Battery Repair was very helpful - called him up a few months ago and he actually spent time talking me through the options. Problem was I was going to be without a car for 6 weeks and he was out of loaner batteries. Glad to see he is doing so well! Anyway, I opted for the dealership option and had my 03 HCH back the next day for just under $2400. This was worth it to me because I figured I had saved about $3,000 in gas alone since I have had the car. Everything else about the car is great - best car I've ever had. 183 K miles. Only other major repair in past year: replacing the struts.

Anyone out there on their 3rd battery? Interested in what the 2nd battery life expectancy is.
  • breaking42breaking42 Member Posts: 2
    You guys should really look into hastling corporate Honda of America before dishing out money out of your own wallet. They released these cars into the consumer market with the promise of standing behind them with excellent warranty coverage, they should be the ones picking up the tab on IMA/battery issues for the first 10 years at least to protect their Hybrid brand integrity. I recently just had my 07 Civic Hybrid (44k mi) extensively worked on, new BCM and a few sensors and wiring working out to around $3,000 retail, I paid just a $200 customer service/diagnostic fee after speaking with HoA for a brief time over the phone about my situation. In many states the certain IMA components are covered to 10yrs/150k, but even 8/80 is pretty good for everyone else. Doesnt hurt to ask for free car repair before laying down $2000-3000!!
  • breaking42breaking42 Member Posts: 2
    Oh and as a a side note in case anyone was wondering, it is 100% safe and normal for the car to be drivin without IMA system function at all. As long as you dont start removing too many parts off the car, the DC-DC converter will continue to operate and power the electrical system (except over 4k RPM the gas engine runs without DC-DC conversion). When we first bought the car, it was running on gas only. You just dont get Autostop or that extra kick in the pants assist gives up hills without screaming the 3-cylinder past 4k rpms.
  • cruthik3615cruthik3615 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Everyone,

So I am totally desperate. I bought an 03' HCH in 07' and put basically all my savings into it. It lasted me about 10 months (about 143k miles on it) and then the hybrid battery stopped working (not sure if its a dead hybrid battery or just a problem). I took it to the Honda dealer and they basically told me it would cost $1,000 for them to do some work to just FIND OUT whats wrong with it. I am getting married in two weeks and strapped for cash and still need a car. Has anyone had a similar scenario? What'd you do? Would it be worth me putting in 2-3k into?

HELP!
  • Ogre_GEVOgre_GEV Member Posts: 263
    edited June 2011
    I just found this post. (a year later)

Hardly my fault you keep jacking up your prices!

I've only changed prices once - ever.

And as far as errors in the article... Ha! they are too small to even be mentioned as significant for a rebuild. Anyone who can follow simple instructions can do the rebuild fine.

For a few selected types of cell failures, but packs with those problems alone are now few and far between. As far as the mistakes in your methods, I'm not at liberty to discuss them here, but let's just leave it at: years of experience has taught us that hobbyist test equipment is inadequate to find and diagnose most of the problems with these packs.

BTW, If you had simply been helpful when I asked last year, I may have gone out of my way to keep your info in the article. But since you chose to blow me off when I had questions,

Mike, I have a long string of emails between us where I was extremely helpful to you and gave you a great deal of information and time. In fact, the problem was that I didn't have enough time to continue to help you. I did have a business to run.

I thought the editors choice to delete your info appropriate for the article. What goes around comes around, you know. LOL!

Yes, I did a good turn for someone and get shafted. Eventually the Karma will come around to bite you, Mike.
    Did you buy it off a new or used dealer lot? I'm asking because most car's that sit parked for about 90 days experience an IMA battery failure 8 months later +/- 2 months.
    Some IMA failures allow the car to run with the battery disabled and the DC-DC converter engaged. Others do not. I would estimate that about 20% of all P1449 failures leave the alternator light off. The problem with a broad reaching statement is that the other 80% have no 12v charging, or are still interacting with the battery, which will continue to degrade, and they will eventually have no 12v charging. We developed a modified computer to Temporarily allow running of the car without a battery, but it is a less than ideal solution. The 12v won't charge at idle or above 3800 rpm. It also will not pass inspection that way.
  • tinakaristinakaris Member Posts: 1
    Hello!!

I am totally interested in repairing my IMA battery myself. Can u give me some pointers on repairing this myself?

Thanx.
  • doofus1doofus1 Member Posts: 2
    who did you call and who did you ask? I need a new battery too! thanks!
    Dan
    Well, the CVT went out on my 03' Civic a couple of months ago, this has got to be the worst transmission Honda has ever made, although Honda has probably worked the bugs out on the newer ones. I think it was the startup clutches at about $1400; if that&#146;s all that is wrong. Otherwise a rebuilt transmission from Honda is about $3500 plus labor. I am tired of sinking money into this car that I only had for about a year, so I traded it for a non-hybrid and took a big loss. The rebuilt battery I got from "Hybrid-Battery Repair" had to be sent back once and it was again giving error codes. I wonder if the transmission had anything to do with the battery not holding a charge. Just a thought; if you have to change the (expensive) oil in the CVT every 8 or 9 thousand miles what's the point of owning a hybrid. You pay a premium to start with and then you spend any savings in gas on changing transmission fluid - and it's still that way on the brand new Honda Hybrids. This was my one and only experiment with hybrids and I think I am cured.
  • whoistheericwhoistheeric Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    can someone one give me an idea who to call and what to ask, because i think i need a battery too.... get my hch on april 2008....it only give me 33 mpg now, use to be 40mpg on the first year i get it...

btw

can we just sign up and sue the honda and let them replace or pay us back the money for those that repaired already?
  • pastiche1pastiche1 Member Posts: 1
    12 volt battery dead; jumped it off; car started. hybrid baterry not working at all. Car seems to be struggling.
  • sandi878sandi878 Member Posts: 1
    YOU could end up paying for a replacement battery when the problem could actually be
    something much less expensive to fix. When it comes to IMA battery problems, go
    to a reputable, authorized Honda dealer and let them diagnose it.

If you go to Autozone or to an Independent Honda repair/service shop, they will NOT have the
    latest technical info from Honda.

Disclaimer: Own 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid (gen1 HCH). Experienced 2 very recent 'IMA
    battery problems'. Went to the Dealership both times. And thank my lucky stars that I did.
    THANK YOU Pacific Honda (San Diego) and Honda America for doing everything you can to
    resolve OUR technically difficult 'IMA Battery Problem '.
  • rsh33rsh33 Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 2003 Honda Civic hybrid and also experienced two recent IMA failures. Both cases with reports of DTC P0A80 -- IMA battery malfunction. In January 2012 my Honda dealer updated some software and the problem went away. That is, until May 5, 2012 (a not so nice birthday present) when it reoccurred. The dealer updated software and the problem is resolved (at least for now). What is most interesting is they also gave me a copy of Honda ServiceNews Article dated March 2012 which I will fully copy.
    Got a Civic Hybrid with IMA DTC P0A80? Update the Battery Software
    Currently applies to: '03-05 Civic Hybrid
    Got IMA DTC P0A80 (replace hybrid battery pack)? Don't replace anything! The IMA battery software just needs to be updated to the latest version.
    To remedy the situation, go back to S/B 10-083, IMA Battery Software and Hardware Updates, and update both the battery software and motor software using this version or later:
    * HDS Software Version 3.002.034
    * HDS Control Module (CM) update - Database Update 1 Mar 2012 [not quite clear as how to read this, either Update 1, March 2012 or Update, 1 Mar 2012. rsh33]
    Once the software has been updated, DTC P0A80 will be gone, never to be seen again.
    After updating the IMA motor and battery software, immediately check for DTCs.
    * If you see DTC P1569 or P1637 right after the update, there's a mismatch between the battery software and the battery type. Go back to S/B 10-083, recheck the battery type and software, and repeat the update.
    * If you see P1589 or P1637 any time other than right after the update, follow the normal troubleshooting in ISIS.

The End. I asked the dealer why Honda didn't notify me, the original owner with a previously reported P0A80 occurrence, of this fix. The answer was, "Honda doesn't". I asked if the dealer would have recommended this upgrade as part of a normal service? The answer was, "no".
  • stiltstilt Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    I agree with taking your Civic Hybrid to the dealership. I own an '03 Hybrid. At about 78K my IMA light came on but my car still operated fine, battery & electric motor still ran OK but I scheduled an appointment with Honda. They replaced the battery and module under warranty. They have also provided all software upgrades to improve performance and longevity. I have not had any issues. At 134K miles mine runs very smooth! Place some faith in your 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, take it to Honda dealer...Do your scheduled maintenance, don't drive with a heavy foot. Watch the digital monitors below the speedometer and the charge and assist dials on the upper right to assist you in learning to get the best performance and mileage. I consistently get between 40 and 50 mpg. (47.3 mpg this week, more in town than on the freeway.) If properly cared for your battery will normally far outlive the battery on the Prius. See government study: http://avt.inl.gov/pdf/hev/end_of_life_test_1.pdf
  • richie78richie78 Member Posts: 2
    Today my wife bought 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid (automatic transmission, mileage=220k) and she found that:

1. The IMA light is on
    2. The check engine light is on
    3. The battery charger light is on
    4. The AC in the car does not work. (I turned it on but no cool air comes out)
    5. The Battery on the right side of IMA ( I think that it is the indicator of IMA battery capacity) is TOTALLY empty.

6. Maintenance due light is showing..

Are these problems results of weak battery?
    Wow. I can't help but wonder how much your wife paid for the car; perhaps it was a really, really good deal. I too drive a Civic Hybrid, 2003. I love it most of the time.

I just replaced the IMA battery in June, with 164K miles on the engine and with all the same symptoms you have (except the AC thing). At the Honda dealership it was $2870. before taxes! Honda's batteries are not new, but refurbished and mine came with a 2 year warranty. (I am told Honda no longer makes these batteries new, but they are refurbished by Panasonic who made the original batteries.)

I asked to keep my old battery. After all it did belong to me, however Honda was going to charge me $1200 more for the repair if I insisted on keeping the battery! That's called Honda robbery!! By the way, the life of the IMA battery is the focus of a current class action lawsuit against Honda. By default, you may be included in this.

Note that one year ago, after reading many positive comments on this and another online forum, I had my failing battery refurbished by Ron Hansen of Hybrid Battery Repair out of NY, with a one year warranty. Four months later (Sept. 2011) I was having problems.. lights coming on, "coughing" with acceleration, etc. Weeks turned into months trying to get an upfront response from Mr. Hanson, all couched in kind promises and no action. Finally, in May 2012 after tens of phone calls, most of which were never even acknowledged, I discovered he had closed his doors. Consumer beware!

I hate to be the bearer of this news, but my guess is that your IMA battery (if it isn't already) is on it's way to being, like the wicked witch, "not just merely dead, but really most sincerely dead".
  • conceptorconceptor Member Posts: 1
    JRhefner: Can you give me some pointers on how to replace the IMA battery cells myself?
  • richie78richie78 Member Posts: 2
    After 2weeK Honda dealer came out with a report of MCM motor control module(NO COMMUNCATiON)...Cat. converter failure and EGR Control circuit range. The car battery was certified to be good!To Honda..the MCM cost $2600 which is same price my wife bought the car! But im seaching for used one presently bc i cant afford such huge $$$$ for MCM!
    Can i replace the MCM with the used MCM?
  • tgabbitgabbi Member Posts: 1
    I have purchased a 2004 civic hybrid for my son. He was starting college and the car was needed. 1 week after both the check engine and ima light have come on. After taking it to the dealership the diagnosis is the batteries with a 3000 dollar price tag. This a nightmare. We spent his savings and mine just to buy this car and thought we were gettinga quality product in honda. Is there any way to get Honda to off set the price of replacement. Or is there any other option. Why would they make a product with such an expensive part.
  • marchambault4marchambault4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 civic hybrid which I bought 10 months ago with 83500 miles on it. I love it. I have had one major repair, a voltage sensor that cost me $790 to fix. I change the oil and transmission fluid myself. It sounds like a good plan to get the battery rebuilt. I would think you can have a mechanic you trust or an automotive shop that specializes in automotive electrical problems do the job. I think it is absolutely worth it. It's a Honda, it should run for a long time as long as you stay up on the preventive maintenance. Hopefully you can find a trustworthy mechanic.
    The next thing I would worry about is repairing or replacing the transmission (if you have a CVT). According to the Carfax report my 03&#146; that I purchased used had the CVT replaced under warranty at around 30XXX miles. Then at 112XXX miles it went out again. It seems the early CVT&#146;s had startup clutch problems. I went the route of having my battery refurbished only to have the transmission go out at an estimated $3500 repair bill. Needless to say I decided to just get rid of my hybrid as the repairs that I already had done on the battery plus the transmission where more than the car was worth. This was the costliest experiment I have ever done and my experience with a hybrid came to an abrupt end in less than a year and I will never again own a hybrid or a car with a CVT.
  • pvandeheypvandehey Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 HCH CVT with a failing IMA battery. Where can I get the individual cells for the battery to repair it myself?
  • xlntmpgxlntmpg Member Posts: 8
    Individual cells can be purchased from different sources (no sure if I'm allowed to say specific names on this forum), but I'll warn you ahead of time that there are lots of ways to incorrectly disassemble the pack, as well as lots of ways to incorrectly re-assemble the pack.

If you have the time and the patience to remove all the fasteners, and take all the safety precautions, it can be done. A set of sticks would likely cost under $2,000

Eric Powers
  • susannafsusannaf Member Posts: 1
    I just learned that my 2006 civic hybrid (116K) needs a new IMA battery. Dealer quoted 2500. Are there any alternatives that would be cheaper? I was hoping to get another 6 months out of the car. No chance of coverage under warranty (I'm in PA)?
  • karlt1981karlt1981 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016
    I'm doing the loading and unloading test for CIVIC HYBRID 2005 with Imax equipment. but this team has to set the maximum limit you in mah where it will arrive. I put 6500 which is the maximum load to 0.6A and 1.0A perform the download.

What should be my right values in mah to result in a good performance, I read enforos that the burden should give me a maximum of 6200mah and download between 5500 and 6200mah.

Will I have to increase the amount of amps loading and unloading for each battery. or care if I leave as I?

MY EMAIL IS: [Email removed]