Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2008 Subaru Legacy

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Hmmm... You've owned a Justy and you're calling the new WRX ugly?

Bob
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Why not an Outback or a used Legacy GT Wagon? I just picked up a very lightly used 05 LGT Wagon 5MT for 18k. Haven't picked it up yet from the guy I bought it from but test drove it a few times :)

-mike
  • Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    Hmmm... You've owned a Justy and you're calling the new WRX ugly?

That was a long time ago friend. I had 3 kids and a wife who spent money like water and we had a Full size Buick Station wagon to haul them all around in. I needed a small car to commute back and forth to work. I've also owned a bunch of Geo Metros. Ugly but disposable commuter cars. Of course if you were rich in the mid to late 1980's, you could drive whatever you wanted. 3 kids was a PITA!
    That's not the point tho. How much did the Justy cost? It sure as hell wasn't $25k!!! I forget what I paid for it but it was very cheap like in 1989.
    When you spend a lot money you want a car that looks good as well as drives good. So yeah the 2008 WRX is an unattractive $25K car, based on it's looks. But if it cost the same as the Justy then by all means I won't mention it's looks again. :P
  • Options
    Price is all relative. In 1989 you could get a Hyundai for $5k, now the absolute cheapest car out there will run well over $12k.

-mike
  • Options
    Price is all relative. In 1989 you could get a Hyundai for $5k, now the absolute cheapest car out there will run well over $12k.

Yes I agree, but $25K is a fair amount of dosh to throw at a car. I think it should look a bit better than it does. The Justy was like an ugly VW rabbit and the Geo Metros that I've owned well unattractive would be a good way to describe them. I bought one brand new for $7K. But I traded it in as soon as the warranty was nearing it's end.
    I like the WRX and There is a 25% chance I will buy the new WRX, unless something attractive comes out in a diesel.
    If Honda releases a diesel Accord when i am ready to buy then Subaru will have lost a sale an for about 5 years which is about how long I'll keep whatever I buy.
    I still would like to be able to bring my Toyota Hi-Lux back to the US with me. It has the small 2.5L turbo diesel and gets 45mpg on the highway. but it'll never happen it's an Asian market car so no heater.
    Subaru is great for New England and why it's near the top of my list. I just want to see some nicer sheet metal on the nose.
  • Options
    Have you seen one in real life or only virtual? They are far better looking IRL.

-mike
  • Options
    Have you seen one in real life or only virtual? They are far better looking IRL.

I've only seen the ones online It's not like I'm living in the US and can go to any car shows. :)
    I will say this tho the BMW 135i 4 door hatchback is a great car. it it came as a diesel it would be THE car I'd buy even over a WRX. The roads here are awful so no chance and the inflated price of over $30K USD is far too much. But BMW looks great and drives like a dream. My Toyota diesel truck still gets 35 mpg in medium to heavy city traffic and about 45 mpg on the highways when I get the chance to use it which is rarely. My friend has a Honda CR-V and he hates his fuel economy says it's about 14 mpg!
    The WRX is a great choice for me moving back to New England and Subaru owners are a loyal group, mostly. But we still want great looking as well as great performing cars. I won't waste my money on an AWD Audi or a BMW xi.
    If only we didn't have 2 months of miserable snow.

That said, I'm hoping the WRX does look better in person and has the short shift kit available. If they release the STI I will probably look at that. BUT a WRX diesel would get the cash on the spot for the car as long as it was MSRP but no higher.
    I think subie's are a great cars and I hope they look better in person. Hope the mileage has improved. Also white rims would look great on the Rally Blue model. I so regret not getting white rims for my 2002 WRX sedan.
  • Options
    I wouldn't count on a USDM Diesel for a few years at best. White rims and short shift kits are easy add ons. STi won't be shipping til well after Jan 1 IIRC it's going to be an '09 model year.

-mike
  • Options
    I wouldn't count on a USDM Diesel for a few years at best. White rims and short shift kits are easy add ons. STi won't be shipping til well after Jan 1 IIRC it's going to be an '09 model year.

Yeah I think it will happen but not before I have to buy either a 2008 WRX or some other car. Honda will get my $$$ if they come out with a diesel. I drive about 30K miles a year in the us so a diesel is in my best interest.
    So we'll see what happens but I really think a WRX diesel would be the bomb! A shift kit comes from the dealer and white rims for summer tires and stock rims for the winter tires.
    I didn't do any of that to my previous WRX as I was in the SCCA stock class for Solo2
  • Options
    SCCA is so behind the times in terms of their classing rules. NASA has really been progressive in terms of their classing, allowing mods where you gain points in a class, once you reach X points it puts you up a class. This allows for cars with minor mods to still compete without having to go full bore.

I hear yah on the diesel, I doubt that Honda will be shipping a diesel by the time you need one. Which would leave VW or MB as your only choices.

-mike
  • Options
    SCCA is so behind the times in terms of their classing rules. NASA has really been progressive in terms of their classing, allowing mods where you gain points in a class, once you reach X points it puts you up a class. This allows for cars with minor mods to still compete without having to go full bore.

Yeah they are very complicated with the rules, almost everything boosts you up into STS or STR. I haven't done any SCCA events since 2001. I gave it up due to time constraints and you spend a whole day to just get 3 runs, no fun runs at all any more as the events are too big.
    Oh I'm talking about Solo2 autocross not Solo1 which is out of my budget.
    I am unfamiliar with NASA do they run in New England? I know a few groups do but on one is a Miata group and very small tight courses and the others are BMW/Porsche group and The Corvette group has one that is just too far away from me.

I hear yah on the diesel, I doubt that Honda will be shipping a diesel by the time you need one. Which would leave VW or MB as your only choices.

I don't know if I would ever buy a VW again. You know the rule Fool me once shame on me Fool me twice shame on you. Fool me 5 times I must be a moron! I've owned 5 VW's and that officially made me an official member of the (paraphrased) PT Barnums "There's a sucker born every minute and he's probably driving a VW." :sick:

They break too often and when they get older, the mechanics forget how to fix them and the dealers want $$$$$ to repair them. My family and I tried VW for a long time and I don't know if I can afford even 20% of the problems I've had with any of the past ones.
    Mercedes only puts it in their higher end cars and If I can afford one of those I wouldn't worry about the economy. :)
    I want an affordable economical diesel but currently am down to gassers the Honda Fit and the WRX. So far nothing else interests me. The Fit which I already owned a Jazz is a good city car for my wife to drive to work in and the WRX can handle bad weather and long highway drives. For sure I'd trade it for a diesel WRX tho.
    Honda will make the Accord and the CR-V into diesels but probably as 2010 models.
    I hope some better options open up but am fearing this might not be the case. I'm scheduled to come back to the US anytime between Jan 2008 and August 2008, no idea when.

I want to bring my diesel Hi-Lux over!!!! 45 mpg on the highway for a 4 door truck! I'm going to miss putting $20 a month in it. :cry:
  • Options
    Yeah NASA doesn't run any auto-xs in the New England Area. I gave up on Auto-x around 02 as well, started to do HPDEs which are a great bang for your buck. 2+hrs of track time with an instructor for about $150-200 depending on the track and the group. We run events up at Limerock that you should look into as it's a blast and I know some groups run events at NHIS as well.

-mike
  • Options
    Yeah NASA doesn't run any auto-xs in the New England Area. I gave up on Auto-x around 02 as well, started to do HPDEs which are a great bang for your buck. 2+hrs of track time with an instructor for about $150-200 depending on the track and the group. We run events up at Limerock that you should look into as it's a blast and I know some groups run events at NHIS as well.

Don't you need a lot of safety equipment as well as transponders and all that?
    I want my wife to autocross she can use the practice and she'll have fun doing it. I won't be living very far from NHIS maybe 2 minutes so that's a plus. I'd never take my daily driver out on the NHIS track tho, too easy to dent it up. Better off buying a Formula Ford or something and tow it over there. I don't know what a HPDE is sounds like High Performance Driving Education or something.
    SCCA runs events at NHIS, but you have to fit in with that clique. I don't want to deal with a crew or anything like that. Does this NASA have a website?
    Thanks
    Steve
  • Options
    HPDEs are becoming very popular across the country. Even SCCA now is starting to have them. Essentially they are an education event where you take your street car (or race car for that matter) out on the track and you learn to drive at high speeds in a controlled environment. Safety equipment is the same as that required for Auto-x. There is no "competition" so there is rarely any contact with anything fixed or other car. Students are broken up into groups based on experience and skill level. Groups 1 and 2 are required to have instructors and they also get classroom instruction as well when they aren't on track. Passing is only allowed on straight aways and with a pointby from the car being over taken.

It's a great way to learn how to drive safer and faster and to really know the limits of your own car. I did about 2 years of HPDE and then became an instructor. I instructed for another 2 years and then got my competion liscence. Now I alternate between instructing and doing Timng and Scoring at the races.

I find it far more rewarding than Auto-x even though there isn't a competition, you get a ton more seat time and aren't chasing cones! :)

SCDA is up in New England also.
    NASA can be found at Nasaproracing.com
    PDA is another group (they are also part of NASA Northeast as well)
    Car Guys is another group.

I'm pretty involved with NASA Northeast we run events at Limerock Park
    Watkins Glen
    Pocono Raceway

I know SCDA runs events at
    Watkins Glen
    Limerock
    NHIS

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks for teh info Mike, I will check it out.
    Steve
  • Options
    kram12kram12 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2008 Legacy 2.5i in NJ.Paid a couple of hundred over invoice. Overall very happy! I find that when reaching for the break pedal you could use a little more clearance room. Anyone find the same problem? I'm average size, 5' 9" 160 lbs.
    Also the mp3 connection in the side compartment
    is poorly placed as it severly reduces the available space,No good for storin CD's; finally the glove compartment seems pretty small.
    Comments please:
  • Options
    locomolocomo Member Posts: 29
    Just bought the '08 base model today at invoice with 4.9 financing. (1 to 2 points lower that I could find elsewhere)
    Bought the Subie corporate extended 7/70k warranty for about $700. Have a month to decide whether to keep it.
    Should I ?

thanks
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sounds like a bargain, keep it! You get roadside assistance the whole time, too.

Congrats. :shades:
  • Options
    otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Is this engine switch planned for the Legacy/Outback?
  • Options
    My guess is yes, but probably not before the all-new model arrives in 2010.

Bob
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Subaru is still manufacturing the Legacy Wagon for 2008. For Canada only.
    If you really want one, you can import one from Canada into the US.
  • Options
    rallyfanrallyfan Member Posts: 36
    IRVINE SUBARU HAS ALOT OF 07 LEGACY WAGONS THANKS RALLYFAN (SO CALIF.)
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    if I put Legacy tires on an Outback what does that do besides mess up the speedo a little??
  • Options
    You need to do more than the tires though to make an OB into a Legacy. I believe you'll need to change the struts/springs and possibly the body-mounts/pucks.

-mike
  • Options
    darn!!
    the VDC Ltd OBs are on the dealer lots now, will need to chose the color and pull the trigger!
  • Options
    78carolian78carolian Member Posts: 9
    Whomever at Subaru (still Fuji Heavy??) made the decision to scuttle the Legacy wagon might have underestitmated the "other half" of the Subaru family. My assertion is the OB has become the car of choice for the liberal/left-leaning set. It's typecast itself folks and there's no denying it. Most OBs around here have faded-out "Elect Kerry" and other Dem-pol campaign stickers slapped all over them. Subaru execs who might monitor these forums: wise up. There is an after-market modder set that are crossing over to other makes. Bring back the Legacy wagons. My Audi Avant quattro lease expires in 33 months. :mad:
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Subaru is still making the Legacy Wagon in Indiana, unfortunately they are all being shipped to Canada. Subaru could offer the Legacy Wagon in the US extremely quickly.
    If there is demand for the Legacy Wagon I expect that Subaru will again offer it mid-year.
  • Options
    lascottcalascottca Member Posts: 11
    Was interested in the 2.5i limited and was surprised that Bluetooth was not part of the 2008 models. Could be a deal breaker due to the new California law. Question- Is there anyway to install Bluetooth for cell phone use and what would it entail? Thanks Scott
  • Options
    caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I would call your dealership and ask. I bought a new car that didn't have a DVD installed and I found out that they could install the factory DVD system after the fact.

There is always the option of using a free standing blue tooth device, Motorola has a visor mounted one that also acts as a free standing speaker phone.
  • Options
    dinterndintern Member Posts: 24
  • Options
    desertrat5desertrat5 Member Posts: 85
    After last winter in Colorado Springs we have decided that we both should be driving AWD cars. Right now we are trading off either a Subaru Legacy or a Toyoto RAV4 V-6. With respect to the Subaru, we are going back and forth between the six and the turbo 4. Not sure which is the best but I lean towards the turbo 4 because of the altitude around the Springs. I have not driven the 6 but have noticed in driving the turbo 4 that there is some lag while the turbo spins up. I have read where there is also some lag in the take off of the 6. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.
  • Options
    The turbo lag is really quite minimal. One thing to consider is that turbos usually do better than non-turbos at high altitude.

Bob
  • Options
    I find no lag in my 4-turbo LGT wagon. It comes in around 2500-3000 rpms and if I'm getting on it, I'm well above that level. If I'm in a conservative driving mode then I'm a bit further from the turbo because I have it in 4th or 5th geat puttering around. Good thing about that is I'm yielding 21-23mpg in the city!

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. And I agree about the altitude - the turbo engine should provide pretty constant power and torque regardless of altitude. Are you aware of any maintenance and/or reliability advantages one way or the other - 6 vs turbo 4?
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. We will be getting an auto since this will be a daily driver. Since my wife will probably be the major user it will be not driven hard except on weekends when we intend to visit lots of the mountain sights above us here in the Springs. Any other thoughts regarding the turbo 4 vs the 6 cylinder>
  • Options
    If you were getting an AT and didn't live in the mts. I'd say get the H6. The H6 is much more suited for an AT. In light of the fact that you live in the mts the turbo will be more helpful. Just make sure not to be gently on the throttle when you want to go so that the RPMs will shoot up and you'll get the turbo. If you drive it gently the turbo won't kick in as easily, same respect you also won't burn fuel as quckly. I know if I drive gently and shift at 2700-3300 rpms I will get 21-23mpg in the city and 25-27mpg on the highway. If I push it I can drop down the milage to 12/18mpg easily.

-mike
  • Options
    I've an '06 WRX with the 2.5 turbo and 5-speed manual, and with a bit over 25K on it. So far not one problem. It's a great engine.

Bob
  • Options
    The RAV4's V6 (2GR in Toyota-speak) also might have a slight hesitation because it has a two-stage intake. The 2nd intake path only opens past half throttle or above 2300rpm or so. Some owners complain that there is a lag before that 2nd path opens, and they've even documented a mod to permanently open that path to reduce the lag.

Nowadays I'm sure a lot of engines have similar intakes.

At altitude, I'd pick the turbo.

I have that V6 in my van, but here on the east coast it's rare for us to even reach 3000 ft.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. We have now driven the RAV6 with a V-6 and did not sense a noticeable lag. Liked the vehicle except for the leather seats which are a requirement for heated seats. One dealer said he could have heaters installed in the cloth seats for about $500. We will next drive the cloth seats to see if they are more comfortable to us. We will also drive the Outback - have only driven the Legacy sedan thus far. Still waiting for an opportunity to drive the new Taurus in AWD.
  • Options
    Wow, you're cross shopping in 3 different classes of vehicles!

You can get factory heated cloth in the Outback. $500 for seat heaters sounds overpriced to me, I'd expect closer to $300.
  • Options
    You are correct. We are shopping across class lines because we are looking for an AWD sedan. In our price range the selection is not large - hence we have wandered over into the smaller SUVs. We have driven the Taurus now in both the SEL and Limited models and it is definitely in the running. My wife likes the larger car while I prefer the smaller Subaru. So the selection process continues.

I was in your fine country in June. Quick business trip spent mostly in meetings and on airplanes. Did enjoy what time I had to wander around (which wasn't much)
  • Options
    Did you eat feijoada? Or at least a churrasco? :shades:
  • Options
    I did indeed eat feijoada and loved it. Did not get a chance to do churrasco. Also had a bottle of your local wine one night that was very good.
  • Options
    famof3kidsfamof3kids Member Posts: 160
    Ok, I'm a long time driver/owner of Subaru products, and I've been anxiously awaiting the R Limited after seeing pictures on the Japanese Subaru site for a few years.

So, I took my 2003 Legacy in for its first brake job, rear pads at 53k miles, and the dealer had a black one on the lot. That is a great looking car. So, as I continued to stare at it while waiting on my car, I had to drive it. At $32k, it competes with a lot of different makes, including entry luxury market. But, I've been reading of Subaru wanting to head in the entry luxury direction, so, are they ready...

Well, I'll have to say that the car is beautiful. The dash, leather, and door sill trim all looked luxurious. The paint is great and the body panel fit seems perfect. The wood trim matched nicely. The blue gauges are nice. The stereo was great. The NAV and info center was cool. The 12volt adapter and aux stereo input was in armrest and nicely hidden. It seems to have all the bells and whistles. On looks alone, I'd buy it.

But, then the drive. It started in typical Subaru fashion, sounded the same, etc. But, first thing I noticed was the harsh ride. It rides rougher than my 2003. Then as my speed increased, in came the road noise. Also louder than my 2003. Then I noticed a weird whining noise from the engine area. Then, only at exactly a steady 50mph, I felt a surge. Hum.... I was so disappointed. :cry:

I spoke with service manager about the surge, he said the transmission does that for first 1,000 miles as it 'learns' and he hears that complaint a lot in the begining. Hum, ok.

It is not the luxury Subaru I thought it might be. And for $32k, it was unacceptable. A firm ride might be OK, but, road noise and a whining engine don't cut it.

I remember the great Subaru SVX and drove a few of these. They had the H6 engine as well. That car, however, was almost silent. I remember the dealer saying that was one of the trademarks of the car was its silence. Everything from the engine, transmissions, exhaust, all was very quite. So, I know that Subaru can do it. However, that car, in 1990, was $30k. So, today it would cost much more.

Maybe 2010 model.... :confuse:

Mark
    2003 Subaru Legacy Wagon L+ (current)
    1998 Subaru Legacy Outback
    1995 Subaru Legacy LS Sedan
    1991 Subaru Legacy L+ Sedan
    1987 Subaru Loyale Sedan
    1986 Subaru Wagon
    1984 Subaru Wagon
  • Options
    mogul2mogul2 Member Posts: 14
    But, I've been reading of Subaru wanting to head in the entry luxury direction, so, are they ready...

Actually Subaru gave up the hopes of becoming a premium brand last year. It is all about selling to the masses now. Have seen the latest Impreza? It is as vanilla as you can get with design language. Unless you are Honda or Toyota looks does matter when selling to masses. VW is selling well in spite of terrible reliability because of exterior and interior. Subaru cars are engineered very well. Now if only they can get their act together in exterior/interior design and marketing...
  • Options
    I bet the air pressure in the tires was sky-high, my Subie was delivered with a shopping 40psi. They felt like rocks.

The Premium strategy was dropped, in fact here is an Automotive News headline from this morning:

Subaru cools premium pricing, sales goals
    With new CEOs at the helm in Japan and the United States, Subaru still is setting prices above its Japanese competition but is less eager to jump into the same league as European premium brands.

Bummer about the engine whine, though.
  • Options
    danmanmomdanmanmom Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 2008 Legacy. All the exterior colors I like are paired with the Warm Ivory Leather interior. Does anyone out there have this in their car? I'm afraid it will show dirt like crazy. Has that been your experience? Do you think that color interior is a mistake, and that I should go with the black leather?
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    I cannot comment on the light interior's visual durability, but I can say that the dark interior will show dirt "like crazy." Dirt, it turns out, is not typically black. It is more commonly reddish/brown, and those colors show up quite markedly on black. Cleaning out the foot well area of my '07 Outback before I sold it squandered quite a bit of my time to render it what could pass for clean.

I took an '08 wagon (blue w/ black interior) out for a test drive a couple weeks back. My son's feet (sitting in his car seat behind the driver), while mostly clean, left plenty of marks on the plastic seat backing over the duration of the ten minutes we were in the car.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    well after 3 days and 300 miles I can say the ivory seating is holding up well! so far anyway!!.
    black can indeed show dirt quite a bit, but at least oil and grease shows up less than on ivory!! I would think you may need to clean up the sets a little more than the black to maintain the original color longterm. I had a 92 Legacy with creamy cloth seats which surprisingly did very well with dirt, except when I spilled some driveway sealant on the carpets!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Eech... yeah, that will do it! :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.