Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Legacy

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yup I don't think you can do that, as the doors don't have auto-locking ability.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • rallyfanrallyfan Member Posts: 36
    I bought a new 08 Leg. SE auto 3 months ago. I am getting 22 mpg on 80% freeway and the rest is rural light traffic. Funny I get less mpg than paisan and he has a GT on a three day race. I have 3900 miles on it so far.. Anybody like to post there mpg I do not hot rod or speed much still trying to break it in. Thanks in advance.
  • woodyboywoodyboy Member Posts: 10
    I have an 08 GT MT with 2700 miles and I am getting a minimum of 22-23 MPG and averaging 24-25 mpg according to the trip computer. I checked the trip computer once and it seemed to be off by about 1 mpg too high. Still I am happy. I drive in the "I" mode most of the time but a fair number of hills in about 75% freeway driving.
    Well don't forget my car has 50k miles and I run synthetic. It's also an MT.

I can get it down to 15-17mpg if I really push it around hard.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • bekind420bekind420 Member Posts: 7
    5spd manual GT - ~ 20 mpg @ town and ~24-26 highway. Car has 5k miles on it. I have a totaly avg of 21.3 mpg since I drove it off the lot. Actually very impressed with the MPG, especially since I have never used I mode and always drive it hard in S or S#.
  • rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    I test drove 08 auto 2.5i limited sedan & 08 impreza wagon. How has your reliability been w/ Legacy regards to any type of issue you may have. What made you choose sedan over wagon? Do the fold down seats give you more flexibility?
    Opinion on the OEM Yokohoma Advan tires? Is the VDC helpful/ worth it?
    Your opinions will help greatly!! Thank you :)
    Is the poor visibility at night an issue? Sharp cutoff/ can't see too far ahead.
    I see many posts about head gasket leak, should I be worried?
    VDC is well worth it. This system essentially gives you an LSD in front and rear as well as helps prevent you from losing control. The AWD system does a good job of that but more help in adverse conditions is always better.

-mike
    I believe in 2002 or 2003 they changed the gasket material/design and therefore we haven't seen much reported issues after that. I would not worry. I own an 05 LGT and no issues at 52k miles.

-mike
    The sharp cutoff of the low beams is actually an advantage. I drive in upstate NY in the mountains and the low combined with the high beams have not caused an issue. Probaly in my top 2 or 3 cars in terms of stock lights.

-mike
    I just became the proud owner of 08 2.5i limited automatic legacy(love it). It now has 245 miles all city driving (stop & go) I'm getting about 19mpg since the computer says 20.7, I figured it's always 1 mpg off. EPA states 20/27 sadly I hope it gets better since it's not broken in yet. owners of the 08, what is your mpg?
    Thank you :shades:
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    I also have an 08 Legacy 2.5i limited. I also have 100% city driving (stop and go, generally between 35-40 mph). My idling, though, is limited, as I go to work at 6:00AM and usually have short stop lights. I am averaging around 25 mpg, but I am a VERY conservative driver.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The engine is still very green.

FWIW, I had a loaner Tribeca for a week, and the trip computer said 20.5mpg, but when I did the math myself I calculated 21.2 mpg.

So it can go either way. I would not assume you're getting 19mpg.
    Also traditionally Subies don't get their best milage until they hit about 10,000 miles. So at 245 miles it's going to get very bad milage.

-mike
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    Ironically, the very first tank of fuel through my '08 Outback netted the best economy over the 7500 miles I had it: Just under 28. But, it also experienced the most favorable conditions on that tank. One passenger with no cargo, nothing on top (other than cross bars), and mostly freeway (some Seattle area I-5 stop and go freeway) driving. After that, it had a load of cargo on top and inside all through northwest (about 3000 miles) and then went straight north into the deep freeze of winter. Sigh. It did okay. Total average mileage was near 21.5 for the "life" of the vehicle, and I still was not at that 10,000 threshold!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    You may also have been driving it gingerly during the break-in period.
  • bigearz1bigearz1 Member Posts: 20
    Hey I read the manual and cant seem to find the Wheel Torque specs for the car. My freind has install them on at 70. But I'm still curious to know what Subaru recommends. Anyone know?
    I use 90 for mine.

-mike
    wow! So i got 70 and you got 90. Anyone else ? do you think it would be dangerous for them to be at 70?
    I believe the spec is 82, but I round it up to 90.

-mike
    A while back I seem to recall the official specs being 68-75 lb-ft. That was for a Forester.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    In the Section 1 Service Manual for 2000 Legacy & OB, it's 65 ± 7 ft-lb.

I set mine at 70 and recheck once after 25-40 miles.
    Thanks for the info. I'll have mine re-check this weekend. I have no problem with them at 70 so far and seeing that others have it at 90 without problem. I guess its just preference.
    Yeah sometimes mine are at about 150ish, If I don't use a torque wrench I use my breaker bar and 1/2 lean into it which would be about 150 lbs or so :)

-mike
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    thats almost as good as when a Ford dealer told me the correct torque is hand tighten then another half turn!!
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    What's up with the Outback 2.5i Limited not having steering wheel radio controls???

Pretty glaring omission.
    its a 2.5i, that's a base model, none of the base models have them IIRC.

-mike
    A "Base" model that is called "limited," stickers for nearly $29,000 and has virtually every other possible option?

Not buying it. If you equip a vehicle with leather, heated seats, a WOW surround sound system, a big honking moonroof, digital auto climate control, etc...you can put a steering wheel control on the wheel. Cars a lot cheaper than that have them.
  • kmaurerkmaurer Member Posts: 48
    Completely agree. The lack of steering-mounted radio controls is the one major gripe I have with my Limited sedan.
    My Camry Hybrid has both steering wheel audio controls AND steering wheel climate controls. Let me tell you, once you get used to that...my other vehicle (a Honda Odyssey) has only the audio, but when I'm in it I instinctively try to change the climate setting on the wheel anyway.

Its really more of a safety issue than luxury--your eyes never need to leave the road.
    Well then we should ditch all buttons and go with voice controlled everything, that would be the safest, your hands wouldn't have to move at all? :)

Luxury just means you get more bells and whistles, like this feature. Perhaps they made a bad decision not including it on the lower non-turbo models, but they have to make a cutoff point somewhere, or else all the options would be included on the lowest trim level car.

-mike
    The lowest trim level car is the 2.5i. You seem to be drawing no distinction between a 2.5i and a 2.5i Limited. Limited IS the trim level--see the Forester, which after the LL Bean contract expires, will sell the 2.5x, 2.5x Premium, and 2.5x Limited. The 2.5x Premium and 2.5x Limited both have steering wheel radio controls. You're paying $4000 dollars for the Limited trim.

Oh, and yes, I think Bluetooth is a safety feature, also.
    Are we talking about foresters or legacies here? Don't forget the FORESTER is in the first year of a "new" generation. The 08/09 Legacies are the LAST years of the "old" generation. No reason for them to throw out new features etc. for the outgoing models.

Also from what I've been told FHI nickle and dimes SOA on options the same way that dealers do to the end customer. So SOA has to make decisions on what to put in and what to leave out, unfortunately sometimes things get cut. As for bluetooth as a "safety" item, PLEASE, you don't HAVE TO talk on the phone while driving, if you MUST, then there are a lot of options, but to say it's a SAFETY feature is borderline ridiculous, it would be nice to have it integrated, but it's in no way a safety feature, it's very much a convience feature.

-mike
    You don't have to speed, either, yet people do it and we laud features like VSC and AWD that helps them keep the car on the road.

Bottom line: talking on the cell phone while driving kills people, and switching to hands free device mitigates the risk. Therefore, its a safety feature.

As for the original point, we're not exactly talking advanced technology here. I really don't think the year of the model span has much to do with it. I think the nickel and dime part is more operative. SOA is going to learn the hard way, though--you can dismiss these features, but the competition is starting to get them, so SOA is going to have to to keep up. As far as I'm aware, btw, Bluetooth isn't even offered on any level Forester--so much for that theory.

I brought up the Forester though to demonstrate that I thought your definition of "trim level" was off--the Forester and Outback are named the same way.
  • peaches218peaches218 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a brand new 2008 Legacy Limited sedan 3 weeks ago. The mileage is 650. Since then it has developed some odd electrical problems.

First, while driving the vehicle home, the display on the dash (mpg, time, temp, etc.) flashed & came back on.

About a week & a half later, I noticed the car radio volume was extremely loud. I tried to lower the volume, change the radio station, even turn the radio off and I could do none of these things. I pulled off the road, turned the car off, then back on and was able to get the radio to work again.

Finally this past Friday the radio just completely cut off and could not be turned back on.

The dealer checked it, could not find the problem.

I'm concerned that this could eventually prove to be a safety issue. And, I mean, this is a BRAND NEW CAR! What rights do I have? The dealership has told me that I have to document every time I have a problem, but frankly I am concerned that I could have completely electrical failure.

What should I do? I have told the dealership that they must make this situation right.

Any advice?
    From what i know, your car's display dash will flash a few times for every consecutive hour you are driving on the road--its like an indicator. As for the radio issue, try to get it resolved ASAP from dealer, if they dont the next best option is to contact SOA directly.. I believe the number is 1 800 subaru 3
    The Forester LL Bean model does have steering wheel radio controls, FWIW. Cruise is on the other side, too.

It does seem strange that a vehicle one step lower in the price scale/lineup has it and the 2.5i Limited doesn't.
    You don't have to speed, either, yet people do it and we laud features like VSC and AWD that helps them keep the car on the road.

These items are not meant for high speed driving they are meant to be used at normal driving speeds and in emergency situations. Talking on the phone while driving is NEVER an emergency situation.

Bottom line: talking on the cell phone while driving kills people, and switching to hands free device mitigates the risk. Therefore, its a safety feature.

People talking on their cell phones while driving kills people because the drivers of said cars put themselves and others at risk by talking while driving. There is compelling data that shows that it's not only the holding of the phone but the capacity of many drivers who cannot drive and carry on a phone conversation safely, regardless of if it's w/hands free or w/o hands free.

Bluetooth is an option IIRC for 09, at least on the imprezas and foresters. We'll likely see it next year on the legacy as well.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    with or without hands-free, the car in the middle lane going 5-10 mph slower than everyone else is probably on the phone!

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
    *rant off*
    Hey, anyone know if you do you own oil change, will your warranty be void by SOA??
    Just keep your reciepts for oil and filters and document it on mysubaru.com

-mike
    No, you are protected by the Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act.

Go ahead, just document it and keep receipts.
  • linkfeeneylinkfeeney Member Posts: 58
    hi
    I saw that some legacy has higher ground clearance than others??
    which trim is that??

I like the higher ground clreance models!
    Thx for the info guys. Is there another way to document these oil changes aside from mysubaru.com? the reason I ask this is because I live in Canada but purchased my car in the States and when i tried to register it asks which State I live in.
    Not really, get an Outback if that's what you want.
    I used that. Just put the nearest state to where you live, I doubt it matters.

I kept a folder with all the print outs from that site, plus I stapled receipts for oil.

The first person that saw my used Forester for sale bought it. :shades:
    I'm not sure that your USDM car can actually get warranty work done in Canada, so it may not matter. Of course if you live close to the states you could pop over and have it repaired I suppose.

-mike
    i registers and emailed them in regards to this issue. No reply yet. Will continue to wait. But I will follow your way of doing things.

I really like the front--bottom/bumper of this model without the lip (2nd pic), anyone know where I can find this and how much will it cost?
This discussion has been closed.