Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    That's my plan with the Tribeca. But I'm going to wait until about 7500 miles have accumulated. Amsoil ATF will also go into the transmission. My '98 OBW has had Amsoil in the engine since 5,000 miles. Changed the transmission-front diff and rear diff to 75W90 Amsoil at later mileage (can't remember the miles - senior moment :D )

MNSteve
    Welcome to the forum! :shades:
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm not sure I'd replace the trans fluid in an AT with Amsoil or any other synthetic these days. I know my Armada uses "Type J" and I just have the dealer do it. I believe the newer Subies ATs take special fluids as well, so check on that before swapping over.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    Yup, I'll certainly make sure.

MNSteve
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    Not sure where the original poster is located in Alaska, but here in Fairbanks, I have averaged between 19 and 21 this winter with a 2.5-liter Outback, depending on the ambient temperatures. Also not sure whether she garages it, which will make a BIG difference, at least on her trip TO work! All told, 16.2 seems pretty good to me, considering the size of the vehicle. The economy will go up significantly come spring.

If it makes her feel any better, I have averaged about 14 mpg with my old "AWD" Caravan this winter. Last summer, it was consistently giving 19+.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • lenasboyslenasboys Member Posts: 11
    I live in Wasilla. Hi fellow Alaskan! I sure hope it goes up during the spring.
    I do keep it garaged.
    19-21 mpg sounds a lot better to me - especially for the frigid Fairbanks temps!
    I guess there is quite a size difference between the two! :)
  • newsub3newsub3 Member Posts: 7
    see my post under rattling/noise in rear hatch
    someone erased the discussion on rattle in rear hatch area!!... Subaru says it was due to excessive play in rear drivers side seat hinge , they added modified washers to the hinges to make seat assembly tighter , but did not eliminate the problem. The seat assembly visibly vibrates over bumps in road also noise from other areas of rear cargo area , rear hatch door has movement.. anyone have sucess in eliminating the rattles/noise in rear cargo area? Been to dealer 3 times now for noise/rattle issue and local dealer makes you feel as if your bothering them.
  • njvt13njvt13 Member Posts: 14
    YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!! i have the same exact problem! the rear hatch seems to vibrate violently when go over anything other than a smooth paved road surface. I have brought the car back 2 times so far and all they have done is moved the striker deeper so the hatch shuts tighter, but it has not helped at all. Also the rear seat behind the driver makes a ridiculous rattle sound, because of that i now drive with my seats folded down which is absurd that i have to do that after buying a brand new car 3 months ago.

I also feel as if there is now animosity between myself and the dealer because of these recurring problems. I feel as is they think I am crazy, but it makes me feel better that i now know i am not b/c you are having the same exact issues.

i am bringing my car back once again this coming tuesday to try and get the issues resolved.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    You don't have to go to the same dealership if you think there's ineptitude on them. You are under warranty.

Any problem door related is purely a mechanical one, so you don't have to be a genius to figure out that if the door has 10 parts, one of them is the culprit, you only have to check each one.

In my old Forester I had the same noise. After spending time in the dealership, I also got frustrated, because the noise kept coming back. So I decided to check in one of the Forester groups here in Edmunds, and the most common solution was to check and grease the small "locks" that my car had in the hatch sides. Taken from a 2000 Forester forum:

armac13, "Subaru Forester (up to 2005)" #163, 25 Oct 2000 10:50 pm!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3A.ee94fe5%20hatch

I solved my problem, that as you seem described happens to almost every hatch. Hope it can help solve yours.
    Wasilla; so do you work locally or in Anchorage? If you take it all the way to Anchorage, then I would say the mileage is a little low, but not entirely out of line. If you work locally, it is likely that the added stop-and-go with fewer stretches of open highway will knock down your mileage quite a bit.

Between the Outback and Tribeca you have to keep in mind that the 3.0L H6 is a much larger engine than the 2.5L H4, plus the Tribeca is heavier, wider, and taller. That all adds up to lower mileage, at least until you get its legs stretched out on the highway. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • eyepodeyepod Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I posted about the rear hatch/seat rattle a couple of days ago. The rear hatch rattles violently, the second seat occaisionally rattles, and there is possibly a third source of rattle (not sure as the volume is pretty loud with the first two).Has anyone actually "fixed" this problem?
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    I have a rattle in what appears to be the rear head liner where the center belt comes out. I m supposed to go back for that to be repaired.
    when I got the car I felt a vibration in the steering wheel - very slight but enough for me to have them check - The front tires needed balancing! - Anyway they did not do the rear - today they found that one rear tire needed balancing. Driving home the head liner rattle was gone!!! I'm hoping this is a permanent fix.

Check the balance of your wheels - they can amplify vibrations in the car to the point where you can hear them. Check the pressure in your tires too. The tire pressure sensors DO NOT advise you if they're over inflated. The dealer has to reset the sensor - I wouldn't be surprised if the dealers are slightly over inflating the tires.

Rear seat - In 06 the seats were harder to move and people complained - now that they made it easier they rattle - not much can be done until enough people complain and Subaru issues a fix to the dealers. I'm going to try putting seat cushion foam between the seat backs - it might limit the movement.

Rear hatch - over the years Subaru has had problems with weak struts in the cold. There is a bulletin and they will fix under warrantee. A properly pressurized strut keeps the hatch in place when closed as well.

Some of these problems might have easy fixes
    I am glad at least to remind you that you are sane!.. Keep me posted as to what happens at dealer next week. Subaru of America is aware of my complaint and I have a reference # as well as complaint rep/ph# , their hinge/washer fix was approved by the corporate office , however as I said it helped tighten seat assembly some but not totally and it did not remedy the rattle/noise over bumps. The dealer ( Chicago , Il area ) had also previously removed the rear hatch interior panel and placed double sided tape on the points where the plastic tabs rubbed against the frame.. but did not solve anything. I have tried placing foam pieces at various locations where I think noise and rattle are coming from but have not had success. We need a better diagnosis and repair. Hopefully the conversations will help bring attention to the problem. I also have not fully enjoyed my new vehicle because of this annoying issue and am thinking about selling it.
    I do work in Wasilla and live between Palmer and Wasilla. So far traveling every other weekend to Anchorage I am averaging 17.5 - 1mpg more than my in town daily travels.
    When is Fairbanks going to start warming up? We have also been very cold here as well, hopefully we will start warming up soon! :)
    This is obviously a pretty common problem - NASIOC has another Tribeca forum that also discusses this problem. It sounds like it is more of an 08' problem. I haven't had a problem with mine - I drive an 06'
    Hopefully you can get it taken care of on Tuesday - Good Luck! :)
    you wouldnt by any chance have the link to that forum thread about the Tribeca on NASIOC??? i tried looking for it on their forum but was unable to find it.

Thanx
    Well, time will be the deciding factor on this one, but I suspect you should see closer to 21-22 during the summer on excursions to Anchorage. The problem with local driving in that area is that it is impossible to separate highway trips from a considerable amount of stop-and-go on either end. In the end, the amount of true "highway" driving is diminished more than one might initially think. I always get a kick out of Wasilla folks selling their 10-year-old 200,000 mile vehicles that advertise "all highway miles - work in Anchorage." :D

I expect the weather will warm up in a few days - probably a day or two behind the valley. Who knows though; it may stick around for weeks like last February/March! It is a nice reminder that it really can get cold in Alaska. Climate change has really limited the amount of this cold stuff we see each year. I get a kick out of the folks who say, "what do those global warming experts have to say for themselves now?!" every time we get a cold snap. *knock knock* Hello.... climate change is about average temperatures, not extremes. :sick:
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    For the second time this month, one of my tires pressure went from 34 to 28. So I'm suspecting a nail is visiting the tire. Do you think in Walmart the guys will know how to work out with this tire? Any special precaution?
    Just get it plugged would be my suggestion.

-mike
    Here is the thread from Nasioc :http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428945

I am also sending a link of a video clip my brother in law does for the "Periodic Review" he used my Tribeca for the short, but funny clip. Eventhough, he is dissing my Tribeca. ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlTu6mZHfo
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I bought a plug kit. It's not too hard, just read the instructions carefully.

To find the hole, air up the tires and spray some soapy water, then look for bubbles. It wasn't too hard for me.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Not erased just moved to the correct area you can find it here eyepod, "Subaru B9 Tribeca Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns" #23, 4 Feb 2008 9:35 pm
    Brought my 08 Tribeca back to the dealer this morning, they informed me that the seat rattle and the rear hatch noise is a result of the way the car was made. HA!

So basically, Subaru has a terrible design team.
    The 2008 Tribeca is built like a piece of junk.
    I will never buy another Subaru again....
    and now i have to deal with this car for the next 32 months, haha!

However, subaru corporate customer service is more than helpful, so hopefully they can bring this to the next level for me......we'll see

we need to research this more and bring it to their attention, b/c it is a problem!
    njvt13 - The 08 Tribeca has both a rear hatch and second seat issue where they are prone to a very audible rattle. I have the rear hatch issue. My dealer confirmed it is a *design* issue, not fixable by the dealer (althought they really, really tried to please me they could not). Still rattles. I too have a complaint in to Subaru. Please keep us posted what happens and I will do the same. Hopefully Subaru will do something for us so we won't have to give up on the car and the company. I've had my Subie in some deep snow already and it performs admirably.
    Is this the dealers saying they can't fix it? Perhaps your individual dealer is incompetent?

Also if you never plan to buy another Subaru, then why should Subaru help you out? They already have your money!

-mike
    they should help me out because i am advertising there car for them by driving it around day-to-day and making it available for all in the public eye to see, plus I have already discouraged more than a few Tribeca enthusiasts from purchasing the vehicle, so if Subaru wants me to stop deterring people, they better fix the problem!

Plaina and simple......this car is too noisy. I have owned many other cars and never had this problem. In fact, my first car, which was a 1981 monte carlo that my aunt gave me when i turned 17, made less noise and was more fun to drive than my current Tribeca. And that is not a joke!

....and yes they say they can't fix it, they think im crazy for coming back so many times! haha
    That is nonsense that they say they cannot fix it. Even design flaws can be fixed. I hounded my local dealer for months to fix the rattles on my '08 Outback (lift gate in particular). They finally got the gate remedied. There were still annoying, subtle rattles coming from both B pillars, but they paled in comparison to the overwhelmingly monstrous rattle that gate produced.
    Sorry to hear that your dealer could not fix problem, not suprised!! , don't give up putting pressure on Subaru. If you wish call.. Wendy Clough at 800-782-2783.. reference your case number , she is a senior complaint rep at corporate office , Great Lakes Region.. let her hear more complaints about noise and rattle issue and lets get them to fix it!!
    Plaina and simple......this car is too noisy. I have owned many other cars and never had this problem. In fact, my first car, which was a 1981 monte carlo that my aunt gave me when i turned 17, made less noise and was more fun to drive than my current Tribeca. And that is not a joke!

And none of these noises were present when you test drove it before buying it?

-mike
    no they were not, the roads around the dealership where i was advised to test drive the vehicle are all nicely paved roads.....

anything else?
    How rough are the roads you are driving over? I guess I'm just used to having just about any car have rattles since I live in Manhattan.

Adjusting the struts and latch, and looking for loose panels inside are about the only things that can really be done to find the problem. If the dealer has done this, perhaps the car is too sporty for you and a Grand Marquis might be more your speed. Not trying to pick a fight, but cars these days are a bit stiffer riding than they were in the 70s and 80s.... Handling however is significantly better :)

Also if the dealer is test driving it on the smooth roads, then they are never going to find any rattles! Have you ridden with them and pointed out the noises you are hearing? If they can't hear or see the problem they can't possibly fix it.

-mike
    i have driven with two different mechanics from two different Subaru dealerships, and one mechanic from an indepedent auto shop....they all said, to my face, that there is DEFINETLY a lot of noise back there.

My car before this was a honda Pilot and that thing was the best, only problem i ever had with that for 3 yrs. was a burned out interior light.

and I understand if i drive over potholes and railroad tracks the car will make more
    noise than usual, however I don't do that.

Plain and simple, there is an issue with the car, i am obviously not the only one with the problem, and I will get it fixed one way or the other.

i'm done with this conversation
    You are right, the Tribeca definitely has a noise/rattle issue in the cargo area.
  • nathansnathans Member Posts: 15
    I have the 2006 'Beca, and love it. I have had no noise issues, and it drives great also. That's unfortunate if the '08 has regressed in these areas. I haven't driven one, so I don't know how different it is.
    update: -

My seats are not the issue because I drove with them down and the same noise occurred - It is either my hatch, the rear floor compartment covers( I have a 5P) or the something in the compartments.

On a trip to PA I noticed that the rattle disappeared at high speeds. I strongly believe that the air across the back and spoiler keeps enough pressure to hold the hatch in place.

This can only mean that there has to be too much play at the latch, or possibly the struts.

I'm going to wrap some electrical tape around the strike to see if that helps.

Does my theory hold water?

Charlie
  • sub87sub87 Member Posts: 1
    The Rattle Issue
    Hi: I'm in Sydney Australia and was about to buy a Tribeca but after reading these comments and seeing the same issue down her with the rear hatch rattle, not just on the vehicle I test drove but also it was picked up by the press on the test car last December 2007. I'm not sure anymore
    Ironically everyone down here is saying it's the poor US quality control that's making the Tribeca a lower quality vehicle than the Japanese vehicles we normally get here. I see the factory is in Lafayette Indiana US - http://www.subaru-sia.com/ and this site says they do a lot of procurement of local made US parts.
    I'm prepared to bet that the soft release hatch trigger and assembly are a local US unit from your end - why not complain to the people who made it?
    - the car is getting bagged out down here - and Subaru are running a special Right Hand drive line at Lafayette for us - all the Australian and UK journalists are saying the quality is so so and its got a soft suspension made for the US market.
    read: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/RT/13D5EF95DC73E759CA2573A8007F13E9?O- penDocument
    It was danm close for me - I had a deposit and was waiting as the first shipment - it was late gettin here - glad I didn't proceed. The car I test drove also had this piece of white foam or styrene that had come loose in the manifold air-intake unit and was visible when you lifted the bonnet - and it was melting and smelling from the engine heat!
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    That same plant makes high-quality Legacy (Liberty) and Outback models that get praised for their fit & finish, plus Toyota thought highly enough of it to have SIA build Camry for them there. IMHO, whatever issue exists is limited to Tribeca.

Funny about the suspension... you're right, Tribeca was designed for the US market, but most US reviews have called the suspension firm! Of course, maybe Tribeca's US competitors are REALLY soft. :D
    Be innovative.

I've seen someone with a seatbelt that rattled against the A-pillar simply use 2 sided tape and a piece of cloth to dampen it. Wish I remember who so I could give them credit.

Trace the noise by following it and touching various surfaces until you get the noise to change or stop (I have to credit Ken Suzuki for this simple yet brilliant idea). That should at least isolate the location. You may need a driver if it only happens at certain speeds.

Use your ears, then use your hands, then finally use your own innovative ideas.

I found I had a rattle - it was a coin holder I had. I moved it to a more solid base/location and lined the interior with some self-adhesive velour drawer liner. It worked.

Be creative folks, you can find these and fix them. It may even be something you put in the car, as it was in my case.
    suspension is firm for sure....makes you feel like your driving a truck

however, regarding post #599, your theory is true. Driving at high speeds does indeed cause the noise to lessen considerably.

I promise you and everyone else it is not any of the compartments in the rear. I took it upon my self to strip the cargo area clean of all compartments. It is actually pretty easy, everything is held together by plastic screw plugs & 4 little bolts. My point is when I drove the car with everything stripped out of it, the rear hatch noise was still their.

****If you recline the rear seats back a bit it seems to make the seat rattle dissapear, try it out....
    Well for now I have to say I think you made the right choice because this noise and rattle issue is very annoying and you would not be satisfied , don't know who is. As I have indicated before , Subaru has switched out the rear drivers side seat and placed washers in all seat hinges to tighten up the rear seat assembly. This did not solve the problem. It looks like the rigidity of the entire rear cargo hatch door/inside panels on the door is poor. Also the rear seat assembly has too much vibration. You can see both areas shake when going over road bumps. In addition I have attempted to place foam pieces at various areas inside plastic trim where I thought the noise was originating from, nothing has worked yet. I agree that it appears that it is not the rear plastic trays because if you remove the whole tray the noise is there still. I have yet a fourth visit scheduled with a different dealer and Subaru rep in March , but don't have high expectations and certainly wish this issue had a proper fix , so far I am not aware of it. If anyone with this issue is able to get or produce a proper fix I certainly hope to hear about it. Hopefully fellow 08 Tribeca owners are letting Subaru of America/or Subaru of your Country know about this problem , it is the only way to get pressure on them to fix this issue.. if they can.. or they won't be selling too many more I don't think.
    The rear hatch struts were changed today - problem solved!!

Even if your hatch appears to be opening properly the struts may be defective. Low pressure in the struts will allow movement when closed which can cause a knocking or rattle.

Charlie
    charlie i have a 5P limited 2008......how about you? where'd you purchase your car from? i am in central jersey too
    Cool Charlie glad you got it fixed. I still need to check your ride out. I haven't driven any tribecas yet and haven't even sat in one.

-mike
    I have a 5P LTD also.
    I leased it from Fleminton Subaru.
    Thanks,
    I may have time to swing by on the 8th - will you be there.....at the garage that is?

Charlie
    Glad to here that was resolved. :shades:
    Thanks

Are you and Bob coming up to NY for the Auto show ??
    Hmmm, I suppose I should see if I have a rattle at the back. This means the pile of stuff in the back would have to be cleaned out. Since it is still cold (15 degrees) with wind chills, I think maybe warmer weather will be the time to check.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yeah. I'm sure we're coming. Not sure when though. We should hook up again. :)

Bob