Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Lemme check with my boss, er, I mean wife. Her birthday is that week and we have some theatre tickets. She wanted to go to NY but I'm not sure if we can do both the same week.

These shows really sneak up on me!

Any big debuts for NY?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I want to hookup with you guys this year. What are the dates for the show?

-mike

PS: CSS, not sure about the 8th yet.
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    The show is Friday March 21st - 30th
    I'm checking hotel prices and ouch, not sure I want to bring the kids and stay like I was thinking. To be worthwhile I'd want to spend a couple of nights, and with transportation, hotel, food, etc. this would end up costing more than a grand.

I think I'll save a NYC visit with the kids for when we're in CT with the in-laws and can just go by train for the day.
  • ylzylz Member Posts: 45
    Is it me or does anyone else think that the 2008 Tribeca looks better WITHOUT the roof rails on top of the car? I mean I'm thinking of buying the limited 5 pas but telling them to remove the roof rails. Does anyone have any insight to this? I know this seems petty but I want my purchase to be perfect considering I will have this car for the next 7 years at least.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Sure, if you're never gonna carry anything up there. No cargo box? Christmas tree? Mattress? Skis? Kayak?

The Limited trim comes from the factory with roof rails, so it may be a pain to have 'em removed. To help keep the cost down, I'd discuss it at the time you're purchasing, and make it a condition of sale w/the dealer. They'll be more likely to give you a break on the cost when you've got some leverage.

If you're never gonna use it, then by all means, get it exactly how you want it. :) Going without will also have minor effects on wind noise and fuel economy (better aerodynamics).
    Looks better, yes, but the rack serves an important function so I'd still want one.

I think the overall styling does look better without it. It just looks - aerodynamic, and the rack kind of spoils that.
    I had no rack on my Trooper and never needed it. :)

As for your NYC trip, let me know if I can help yah.

-mike
    That's because it had 3.17 acres of cargo floor space. :D
    I haven't used the ones on the Armada either, although that can hold a small 3rd world country in it! :)

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    More like a medium-sized 3rd world country. :D

Too bad the Tribeca's tail gate isn't more squared off. In fact I wonder if the new Forester will come close to the same cargo capacity.
    Yeah my Trooper holds a lot cause it's a box. The Armada is still bigger but it's not nearly as square as the Trooper.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • eyepodeyepod Member Posts: 9
    I have an 08 limited 7 pas. The dealer tried to solve the rattle issue (really tried, great service), but couldn't. The FACTORY finally sent a couple of mechanics and they readjusted the hatch. They did NOT replace the struts. The noise is considerably reduced and probably acceptable but really, for a $37K car this is pathetic.
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    Have them change the struts.
    The next time you pass the Mercedes, audi, and BMW dealers - notice the number of cars in for repair. Now thats pathetic!
    No cars are perfect.
  • newsub3newsub3 Member Posts: 7
    I agree , have them change the hatch struts.. I have tried another dealer ( much better service than first one ) , they worked on rattle/vibration issue. ( I have previously had the rear seat bushings replaced and supposedly tightened with washers - did not solve all the entire rattle issue ). There was still too much movement in rear hatch and plastic trim in rear causing the rattle. The dealer took off the struts and replaced them with ones from an 06 in their lot. The design ( mounting bracket ) was a bit different and allowed for a tighter hatch when it was fully closed. Also the dealer took off all rear plastic trim and placed a foam strip along all contact points. Both of these repairs seemed to help. Also put some lubrication on the rubber gasket/molding for the rear hatch-this will get rid of some sound too by softening the rubber when it makes contact with the metal hatch. The annoying hard plastic sounding rattle that seems to come from the upper rear hatch area corner on the drivers side when going over uneven surfaces has mostly disappeared. All and all the noise issue has improved. Keep pushing your local dealer to find solution for you and let Subaru of America know also , so that they keep working on issue. The service writer at the dealership acknowledged the noise and stated that he also discovered same issues(rear seat and rear hatch area ) with the demo Tribeca that he drives , so at least they are aware now it appears.
    :D

Funny, but true.
    My post was not about the dealer (they really tried to solve the issue), it was about what Subaru of America tried. They sent two mechanics from the factory in Indiana to try to fix the car. So SoA spent significant bucks to try to solve the issue. Yes, all cars have issues. But when they have such serious design issues from the get go, I call that a defect.
    Must be frustrating. On the bright side, what other manufacturer would send mechanics from their assembly plant specifically to fix this? It's impressive to see them make such an effort for a customer. You've gotta think they'll keep at this until the design issue is resolved. (I know that doesn't really help you any. :sick: )
    I believe the fix is new gas struts for the rear hatch on the Becca.

-mike
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Mike, your right.

I dropped off my OBXT for it's third front axle change this morning :( and asked the service manager about this. He confirmed that Subaru Canada has sent a letter to dealerships to replace the struts in Tribecas with specific serial #'s. If the letter is out here in Canada, then I can only imagine that there is an official replacement effort in the US.

I gotta wonder though, are the new struts different in size, or is it just the pressure/strength of the strut that has changed? If the latter, what's going to happen after a year or two when the struts lose some pressure or become weaker....will the issue return? Hmmm...perhaps another question for the Service Mngr when I pick up my car today.

Cheers.
  • njvt13njvt13 Member Posts: 14
    what dealership told you this? because i am going to call my dealer within the next week and ask them about it
    Dealership in Ottawa, Canada. Not sure how that would help you though if you are in the USA given SoA and Subaru Canada are two separate entities (both report to HQ in Japan). I would suggest you put a call into SoA before contacting your dealer.
    Yes it is impressive that the factory sent technicians. They said they would report back to Fuji Heavy with recommendations. They did NOT replace the struts (I specifically asked them about this). So at least these techs from the factory did not believe that was the issue. They were unable to completely resolve the issue. They changed the dovetails, adjusted the entire hatch (not just the latch), dropped some side panels and headliner (going after other known rattles). Spent a day and maybe resolved 50-70% of the rattle. They seemed to know about the rattle in rear hatch area, they had just returned from another trip for the same issue.
  • irgirg Member Posts: 197
    how is the room in the rear seats? Good for kids? Oldest will be 9 soon. 3 kids in total, one in a car seat. How is egress to the 3rd row? We have a Sienna now, looking at alternatives to a minivan, but still may go that route.
    irg,

Even though I am a fan of Subaru, if you're looking for 7 passenger seating, I would recommend against the Tribeca. I am considering the Tribeca myself but only the 5 pass LTD because I found the 3rd row seating useless in the Tribeca, unless you have young kids back there, and even then, I would suggest that the 2nd row is much safer than 3rd. That said, I found that moving the seats to get access to 3rd row was pretty good, but I have little experience and thus little to compare to.

We only have our 9 yr old son, so 3rd row is a nice to have...not a necessity. Right now though, we want to upgrade from our '05 Outback XTL because with my seat all the way back (I'm 6'4"), my son has difficulty getting in and out with his winter boots on. The Beca is a nice vehicle, so you may want to try putting all three kids in the 5 passenger Tribeca, and see how they fit, even with car seat.

Another vehicle you may wish to consider (it is on my shortlist for now) is the Hyundai Veracruz, which has VERY useable 3rd row and is a nice vehicle for the price. In fact, I would go as far as to say that 3rd row could be used by adults comfortably. Not as fun to drive necessarily,, but nice vehicle just the same. I have been reading some posts suggesting a few quality issues, but I take them with a grain of salt. Every car company has its share of lemons....if I posted all the issues I had with my O5 Outback, well, it might take a while. In comparison my 2000 Outback had very few issues. I chalk it up to getting one of the early batches of a new production vehicle...kinks had not been ironed out yet.

Anyway, my .02 for what they are worth.

Cheers.
    I cross-shopped the Tribeca with my Sienna, but ended up with the van.

My daughter was 7 at the time, and right about at the limit in size for that 3rd row. She would have outgrown it, so we went for the van.

The Tribeca did handle a lot better, plus it's more luxurious. We simply wanted a trip car with maximum space.

Just for reference, my van has more cargo space behind the 2nd row than the Tribeca does behind the first row. You can't beat your van for space, not even close.

GM's new Lambdas are the crossovers that come closest (Encalve, Outlook, Acadia), but I felt that visibility was poor, they use more fuel, and they cost a lot more, so I ended up in a van.

The Veracruz is nice. Also consider a CX9.
    Don't forget Pilot's big 3rd row.
    Plus the deep discounts, but it's about to be replaced, and you'll have "the old Pilot".
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Plus the deep discounts, but it's about to be replaced, and you'll have "the old Pilot".

On the positive - it's an 8 YO design and all the bugs have been worked out of the model.
    Yeah, but that's hard to get excited about, IMO.

I tried one, but just liked the Ody better. I liked the Sienna better than the Ody.
    for all the comments. I'll do a little comparison shopping this weekend. The Veracruz is one I should consider. Sadly, the local selection is somewhat slim, no Mazda dealer, no Saturn/GM/Buick so their crossover is out - wish Chevy had one, maybe they will soon.

The Pilot is definitely on the list, probably to lease. I know it's an old design, but that's not the biggest deal. If the rear seat us useable, then that helps. My 8 year old is concerned with how comfy it is. She complains the rear seats in the Sienna are too hard - she's probably right, but I never sit there, lol. As a dad, I'm more concerned about the safety, reliability and economy. So the minivan is still a strong contender here. The Hyundai minivan seems to be a miss though, I've been pricing them out and they actually seem more expensive then the Toyota or Honda, fairly closely equipped, and their fuel economy isn't as good. I might consider the new Grand Caravan SXT, but I didn't like the last one, and their fuel economy and reliability isn't as good.

I'll compare the Veracruz and Pilot this weekend, although the local Hyundai dealer seldom seems to have them in stock. And then compare the Sienna and the Odyssey. I know these are the top two, and I would be happy with a Sienna again, as my wife is the main driver it anyway. Sometimes it's just nice for a change. I think the Sieann will also be redesigned next year. Maybe a hybrid? I would go for that if it was afforable.
    i leased a 2004 4WD EX-L Pilot.....just handed it in this past October 2007......which I now realize was a bad decision.

Greeeeeat room inside.....I am now 26 years old, but a few summers ago I used to drive all my friends to the bar a lot and a few times i was able to fit 17 people inside the car.....haha! thats no joke. Unlike the Tribeca, you can actually fit people in the 3rd row if necessary.

As for the ride and comfort......all 5 out of 5 star rating I would give it. Very smooth, very quiet in the cabin. Gas was great for an SUV. I live in NJ and went to school in VT and I could make the trip with a 1/4 tank of gas left. I think the trip was around 290 miles.

My sister leased the new model Pilot last year and it is still just as good, if not better. If I could do it over again I would gladly hand my [non-permissible content removed] Tribeca in for a Pilot. I think it is degrading to the Pilot to even compare it with the Tribeca.

However, if you are looking into the Pilot they are coming out with a full make over model this year so check that out.
    Hard seats, really? Do you have leather?

I have an LE. The fabric is a soft velvet and if anything I wish the seats were a bit firmer. Maybe you have leather or other years are just different.
    This is an 8 year old complaining about the 3rd row seats. The front rows are fine. I do have cloth - and you're probably they could be more supportive. I have a Subaru Imprezza that has firm seats and I like them. But my guess is for a long trip, the softer seats may be a bonus.
    3rd row, OK. We've taken about 3 trips with 2 families in the car and people were not complaining, but they may have just been too nice to speak up! :D

How 'bout a nice, soft booster for her?
    Well two of the 3 kids are too big for boosters. I think she just wants something other than a van. She thinks a SUV or crossover will have more room (wrong) but she won't believe me. I'm taking her car shopping this weekend so she can see herself.
    Thanks, I'll give the Pilot a look for sure. I hate though, that a new model is coming out soon, but I'll have to lease a new one by next month (late April, first week of May) before they come out. But my guess is I will get a better deal for sure on an old Pilot than a new one.

17 people in it, damn, that doesn't sound safe at all, lol. I remember having 8 of us squeeze intp a Yugo once, that was pretty awful, about an hours drive. Sorry you don't like the Tribeca. What about it don't you like? I'm probably going to write it off anyways, but I'm curious.
    Definitely take the kids along.

We did that, it helped narrow it down a lot. Surprisingly, 3 out of the 4 of us preferred cloth over leather.
    I actually prefer cloth, mostly because this vehicle (van) is too big for the garage, so it is outside a lot. Leather sitting in a hot vehicle isn't nice. I've had leather in some vehicles, and while it's nice, it is somewhat overrated. I would like air conditioned seats though, that has to be one of nicest features.
    my 08 Tribeca.......

Pros: very comfortable seats, everything is easy to reach on the dash, smooth ride at higher speeds, dash controls illuminate nicely at night, great handling in crappy weather.

Cons: Terrible on gas, very stiff ride for city driving, cabin noise (headliner, rear panels) is excessive, rear hatch is noisy, rear seats make a knocking sound over bumps, third row is pointless.

Just make sure when you test drive the car (if you do), take it over different types of road surfaces at different speeds.

Go with the Pilot....as soon as i can afford to hand my Tribeca in I will be going straight to Honda for another Pilot
    I'll definitely check out the Pilot. I want to check out the Veracruz too, but only 1 at my local dealer. Seems like a rare car. ALso the Ford Taurus X is very nice. I rented one for work and was impressed. But they are equally hard to find anywhere, why?
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    I came today to New York for business yesterday, so I took the time to go to the Autoshow with my brother in law. The Subaru display was plain vanilla, but, not like last year, there was nothing new to display. But after spending 7 hours taking my time to check every car in the show, I just can say that even with its annoyances, if I have to do the same again I would. Today, again I remembered that against my other 2 finalists (CX9, size feeling, MDX, cost) I took the decision that I could live happy with.

From the new cars that I saw, the new Pilot is, to be fair, odd, on the ugly side. It's tecnically a concept, but they say its going to be basically the same car. The biggest challenge in the segment is going to be the new Murano, that I checked 2 weeks ago in Minneapolis, and that then and today, everybody was impressed with its quality feel.
    Did the Pilot concept look any better in person? The reactions I've heard were very negative, but that was from photos.
    To Tribeca owners who currently use an ipod or any mp3 player in their vehicle, what is interaction between the mp3 player and the stock stereo?

More specifically, I'm interested in knowing:

1. whether the information that is on ipod (i.e. song title, composer etc) appear on the the Subaru stereo readout display; and,

2. whether the radio controls on the dash AND/OR the steering wheel mounted controls actually control the functions on the mp3 player (ie. volume, skip forward, back etc) If so, which mp3 functions are you able to control via the stereo?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.
  • dbr3nnandbr3nnan Member Posts: 14
    For 2007 models (and I assume '08s as well)

1. No.

2. No, none.

The iPod hook up is merely an audio line in.
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    It looks like an oversize Jeep Liberty. The dash looks cool, like the MDX, but the shifter, while better than the old Pilot steering column one, looks unnatural on the dash, not on the console.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I will confirm that the same is true for the '08.

It is a nifty auxiliary port, though it can be troublesome to change songs, albums, etc., on the fly (if necessary.)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I started another thread for the 2009, based on info I received from Subaru Canada, and a Subaru Canada press release on the 2009 MY that was posted May 7.

Cheers.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Hosts, can we get this thread linked to other Subaru threads? Thanks.

Bob
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    What do you mean linked? It's it's a sub topic in the Tribeca BP forum which is listed in the Subaru Crew.