Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• cargal232cargal232 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Baydrive,

May I ask you where and when you purchased your 2010 CRV? I live in Somerset County and I have checked with the Bridgewater dealer(had not even 1), North Plainfield(would have to find one), and lastly Planet Honda in Union and they are searching for one. No one has the LX model but the loaded EX-L seems plentiful. I also would like the polished metal metallic if possible and was told it is the most limited b/c this color was just added this year and seems to be most popular. At this point it seems I will be lucky to even get any color! Does anyone here know if Honda changed or extended their financing offer from the $239 deal. I thought maybe they may go back to the $199 deal they were running this past year.
    Thanks!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I believe others post I should change the fluid every 15k? Does this fall under Honda's 3yr warranty/maintence?

The car will tel lyou when you should change the lfuid with the new maintenance minder system.

Generally, it will happen every other or every 3rd oil change. It is no different that changing oil, which seems to be OK with most people, but for some odd reason, people buck at idea that other fluids need to be replaced.

I assume these people still change underwear if not daily, at least on a regular basis, or do they assume that underwear is a "lifetime" item as well?
  • baydrivebaydrive Member Posts: 48
    I Don't know what the special offers that Honda has on the CR-V right now but I looked at current inventory and it appears that Madison Honda and Rt 23 Honda have some LX 4WD models (at least they list a few). I got my CR-V from Clinton Honda. They did not have any LX 4WD on their lot but they were able to locate a number of them and I got my choice of colors (even had the polished metal metallic at that time). They got the car in 3 days.

Have you tried going on all the web sites of Honda Dealers in the area? They usually have their inventory posted online..

Good Luck!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds has a View Inventory tool too that'll let you seach within x miles of your zip code.
  • cargal232cargal232 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Baydrive. I have been on every local Honda dealer website's inventory and when I get to the dealer they say "ohh...sorry..but we don't keep it updated", so I don't even bother checking any longer. It's funny..this Saturday night I thought I had negociated a deal and they were going to find me a car by Tuesday the 4th and they also never follow up. I can't believe that a customer walks into a dealer says they need a car same day, is pre-qualified and I furnish them with my completed loan appl. along with my already assigned Honda finance number and then they say
    "I wish I could sell you a car but I don't have any and no other dealer will give theirs up"! I think I am going to have to choose a different car like the GMC Terrain which I prefer the look better but they can't offer me decent leasing. I am heading out 1 more time this Sat.& will let you know if someone has a car to sell me. LOL
    I am heading out 1 more time this Sat.& will let you know if someone has a car to sell me. LOL

Is there a specific set up or color combination you are looking for?
  • kksrskksrs Member Posts: 1
    I took my CRV in to Honda on 11/20/09 to have a high pitched whining noise heard at speeds over 45mph. A Maintenance tech rode in the car w/me and as I was pulling out of the service area, making a u turn, the tech said the car had a "judder" and that they would need to burnish the rear end. This shaking was something I had complained about for 3 years to no avail. They did the rear end and I also had them service the car since I was close to needing it. The next day, when I was backing out of my drive way, there was a dragging, grinding noise coming from the rear. It only occured a couple of times and I have narrowed it down to occuring only when I have put on the parking brake when parked in driveway. (Yes I do release the brake before driving away). The gas mileage in town has dropped from 19-20mpg to 13-14 mpg and the dealership states they can't find anything wrong. Any ideas???
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    Are we required to HONDA ONLY Engine Oils or can you use any synthetics on the market? I've got 22k on my 2007, chnaged the oil only once. That's scary to me - but it's based on the Car's recommendation in the manual. Honda Oil is some sort of marvel oil??
    Are we required to HONDA ONLY Engine Oils or can you use any synthetics on the market? I've got 22k on my 2007, chnaged the oil only once. That's scary to me - but it's based on the Car's recommendation in the manual. Honda Oil is some sort of marvel oil??

You can use any brand of engine oil as long as falls within the spec for your engine.

ATF, DPF, and PS fluids are Honda or Showa only. Since Showa does not sell retail in the US, you are limited to buying it from Honda.

Coolant and brake fluids have comparable aftermarket, but the cost savings are minimal over using Honda branded fluids.
  • mbv2010mbv2010 Member Posts: 2
    Ok so im soo confused. Do I need to change the rear differential fluid every 30k for a 2006 CRV LX 2WD?

Thanks
    Ok so im soo confused. Do I need to change the rear differential fluid every 30k for a 2006 CRV LX 2WD?

Thanks

Why would you have a rear differential in a FWD vehicle?

Bend down behind your Cr-V and look through the middle. If there is a giant hole in the middle of the rear suspension, then you don't have a rear differential and you don't need to change the differential fluid.

If you see a "pumpkin" in there, then you got a heck of a deal on an AWD CR-V, but only paid FWD price, but you will have to change the fluid every 30,000 miles.
  • mbv2010mbv2010 Member Posts: 2
    oh ok. so the rear differential problem is only for the awd/4x4 ?

see i told u i was all confused. Im looking to buy a 2006 crv so thats why i was asking hehehe. oh btw is 13800 a fair price for a 2006 crv lx with 42377 miles?

thanks for all of your help
    Below is the national Black book info. you make the conclusion based on how "clean" or "average" the vehicle is.

VIN: JHLRD6856
    UVC: 2006360086
    VIN + UVC: JHLRD6856086
    MSRP: $20,395
    Finance Advance: $12,900
    Model#: RD6856EW
    Price Incl: AT AC
    Mileage Cat: B
    Weight: 3,318
    Wheelbase: 103.3
    Base HP: 156 @ 5900
    Taxable HP: 18.8
    Tire Size: 215/65R16
    Drive Train: FWD
    Transmission: A
    Fuel Type: Gas
    Cylinders: 4

Black Book Retail as of 02/08/2010

Extra Clean Clean Average Rough
    Base $16,550 $14,925 $12,875 $11,125
    Options $0 $0 $0 $0
    Mileage ($350) $0 $275 $0
    Total $16,200 $14,925 $13,150 $11,125

Black Book Trade-In as of 02/08/2010

Clean Average Rough
    Base $12,600 $10,975 $8,550
    Options $0 $0 $0
    Mileage $0 $275 $0
    Total $12,600 $11,250 $8,550
  • booger53booger53 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    2005crv ex awd, 66,600
    A/c crashed last week, took to dealer, while there had them look at rear differential, they replaced fluid and so far seems to be fixed. started groaning approx. 55,000miles. Thought it may be due to new tires, so had the 4 wheel alignment done at local shop. Also had been pulling to the right since we have owned it. Discovered here that it was a problem with the front damper system. Showed dealer a copy of an internal service bulletin (4/2005), still refused to repair, out of warranty.
  • sheastersheaster Member Posts: 6
    I have under 9K miles on my 2009 CR-V. Lately I have noticed a metal on metal grinding noise intermittently on the underside of the driver's side - wheel area. Rough roads seem to trigger the noise. Also, when the vehicle is cold, while in reverse, there is a grinding sound that appears to originate in the rear, center, underside of the car. Since I am planning a 1500 mile trip in a few weeks, I am getting nervous about taking this car. I don't the like the CR-V nearly as much as the 2006 Civic I have. If I didn't live in a bad, snowy climate, I'd get rid of it. Disappointing mileage and not nearly as good in the snow as the Forerster I used to own.
  • iangusiangus Member Posts: 2
    I went to tameron honda in hoover and they said i had a noise in the rear differential. Thay told me that they were well aware of this problem and that they would repair the problem for an estimated price of 4500.00,I checked at benardi parts online and a differential from them is 1200.00 that means that tamaron would be getting 3300.00 labor cost. How sick is that!Come on guys give me a brake.and by the way i am a machanic so i know what it takes to change this differential. Thank you.
    I went to tameron honda in hoover and they said i had a noise in the rear differential. Thay told me that they were well aware of this problem and that they would repair the problem for an estimated price of 4500.00,I checked at benardi parts online and a differential from them is 1200.00 that means that tamaron would be getting 3300.00 labor cost. How sick is that!Come on guys give me a brake.and by the way i am a machanic so i know what it takes to change this differential. Thank you.

So, why not change it your self? What woudl you charge to change a differential on someone's car?

I still think you shold replace the DPF, as stated in the TSB and see if it helps. Chances are it will.
  • fightfairfightfair Member Posts: 2
    Please, please ,please, everyone who has had this type of problem file a complaint at this link. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ See this website and fill out a complaint. It is about time Honda stands behind there cars again. Tell everyone you know with this type of problem. Enough is enough. We don't need a class action. We need enough voices to force Honda to honor their word or suffer the same consequences as Toyota has. It will take all of us to get some action taken. This is not the first time Crv's have had different information in the owner's manual from what the service bulletin says. Look up valve issues and adjustment schedules. They have done this before and gotten away with it. Not this time.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    That is pretty steep. Even at a very high $100/hr shop rate, that's still 33 hours. I can't imagine it taking 1 guy 4 days or even 2 mechanics 2 full days to complete this job. Sounds like its' about twice the price I'd expect in labor.

Unless they are using a 100% mark-up on the honda part so it's $2400 for the diff and $2100 in labor.
  • estherfaithestherfaith Member Posts: 4
    PLEASE TELL EVERYONE WITH NOISE FROM THE READ OF THEIR HONDA CR-V TO DO THE FOLLWOING;
    1. WRITE A SHORT LETTER TO CORPORATE HONDA DESCRIBING THE PROBLEM -
    2. HAVE THE LETTER NOTORIZED AND SEND CERTIFIED MAIL SIGNATURE CARD REQURED AND SEND IT TO American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Honda Automobile Customer Service
    1919 Torrance Boulevard
    Mail Stop: 500 - 2N - 7D
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
    3. FILE A COMPLAINT AT https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    I JUST DID AND I AM ALSO CALLING THE LEMON LAW LAWYER. THERE ARE A TON OF THEM ON THE INTERNET.
    I am just curious, which of those lawyers are interested in taking on a Lemon Law case for a 5 year old vehicle?

The most generous Lemon Laws cover is 2 years. When you bought the vehicle, you should have been given a Lemon Law disclosure form and it should have your signature on it, meaning that you read and understood the Lemon Law disclosure.
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    I have looked in the owner's manual and I have looked in the big thick Honda Service Manual I purchased separately, and I cannot find where it tells me at how many miles to change various fluids, e.g. oil and rear differential fluid. Maybe I came across it long ago, but I am stumped right now.
    And please don't someone say, oh, just look under "Maintenance" at Page 255 in the Owner's Manual. It ain't in that section. It just wants you to go with the magical "maintenance minder" and its pretty little lights on the dashboard.
    I want to find where Honda says after XX miles, do Y.
  • sue312sue312 Member Posts: 7
    Just bought a Honda CRV 2005 in May 2010...Noise now getting louder was not there before spent over $500 in new tires and found on line differential is problem!!!

Am so upset...have owned 3 crv's and never a problem...called dealer wants to charge $100 fro diagnosis and 74.00 more to fix ...calle d corp they mocked me and said what do I expect for a used car basically. I am a single mom w multiple jobs... i bought this in good faith Honda stands behind their product am so upset...do not have funds to keep up with this prblem so wish I had gotten some thing else/// please tell me where to go for class action suit on this problem... thanks so much for any assistance!!!
    Not true now 3-4-11 contacted corp and basically got told too bad for me for buying used car with miles on it! please help me as cant afford this up keep and unadvised problem...will join class action asap
    No good for mr single multi job mom...need a class action suit or Hondato take care of free...its obviously and manufacturers defect and needs to be recalled and replaced!
    No good for me single multi job mom...need a class action suit or Hondato take care of free...its obviously and manufacturers defect and needs to be recalled and replaced!
    $500 dollars worth of new tires and noise worse then ever HELP ME Honda needs to recall these differentials now!!!!
    Bla -bla bla we need a class action suit on this manufacturers defective differential now!!! This is something Honda knows about and is doing nothing and it's obvious there are people writing in for Honda to keep them protected with non- responsible suggestions THAT THE BUYER SHOULD TAKE UP THE SLACK IN THIS UNIVERSAL MANUFACTURERS DEFECT IS WHAT I BELIEVE!
    Go to this website and see if they can help you.
    http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

I live in Los Angeles area if you need a witness. There are thousands of us that got stuck with the same problem
    Esther
    Let's do it. Where are we going to get an attorney that will do this class action?
  • chad_2008_crvchad_2008_crv Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Change the rear differential fluid. It should be about $80 -100 dollars tops at your local dealer. There is a schedule you should follow, I think it is at the 3k mark when new, and then every 30k or 60k miles after that. I've changed mine twice in 94k miles, no problems here.
  • hondaqueenhondaqueen Member Posts: 1
    Of the three previous sources I've read discussing this issue, folks are being encouraged to change their differential fluid every 10K-20K (depending on ratio of city driving/highway driving). In other words, way more often than Honda initially recommended. Even though Honda put the wrong/or a bad fluid into the rear differential to begin with. When it breaks down, that's when the grinding begins. Changing the fluid is the least you can do--dealers are being told to replace the fluid and burnish the clutch plates. Do you have a handy person who could help you with the fluid change? ($12 for the bottle of fluid.) Or, an independent shop would be less expensive, if you have one you trust. Don't leave this issue alone--you will incur more damage to the differential and eventually the transmission.
  • tedtcbtedtcb Member Posts: 39
    Sue 312

Take a look at this link for more info/comments on your rear diff problem. http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1249

The hard cold facts seem to indicate that it’s the luck of the draw as to who gets the problem as well as which dealers provide service at no cost to the owner.

My dealer replaced my DPF to DPFII and burnished the clutch at no charge and since then I have my rear diff serviced by my by mechanic every 30k

True, not all Vs are affected which is possibly why Honda did not address this issue in a global recall.

My recommendation for you in the short term is to bite the bullet and have the rear diff serviced…..then go about investigating your legal options if that’s what you want

Good luck
    $500 dollars worth of new tires and noise worse then ever HELP ME Honda needs to recall these differentials now!!!!

you spent $500 on new tires?

Why not try and the differential fluid change? It is only $80 at the dealer, or $12 at home. It needs to be drained, refilled, driven 3 times, as suggested by other posts.

Class action will get you nowhere!
  • twigs8twigs8 Member Posts: 3
    Our 2006 had the same problem we change the fluid at the dealer at 30,000 then just change it again at 60,000 at our local service shop..now at 68,000 we are hearing a gRRR sound at 1500 rpms on and off...not sure what to do.
  • mgp3mgp3 Member Posts: 1
    Buenos días a todos/as:

Yo la verdad es que tengo que añadir que yo compré un CR-V 2.2 diesel en noviembre de 2007 en el concesionario de Gijón oficial Honda, y llevo más de un año luchando para solucionar un problema en el eje trasero de la transmisión. Hace un ruido al girar en marchas cortas, lo llevé al taller, ya que sigue en garantía, y me dicen que es el aceite del eje trasero, me lo cambian y a los 7 ó 10 días vuelve a suceder lo mismo, me lo llevan cambiando ya 5 veces, mañana será la 6ª, el coche lleva 4 meses con una vibración por autopista bastante incómoda añadiéndole además, el ruido ya no solo al girar, sino ta´mbién el línea recta. en Noviembre del año pasado lo he notificado junto con la reclamación que he puesto a atención al cliente de Honda España, pero anteriormente lo había notificado por vía telefónica, mi coche sigue con el problema, el tiempo sigue pasando y la garantía se termina. NADIE da una solución. ¿Qué hice?, me puse en contacto con la revista Autofácil, que han hecho de intermediarios, me llamó atención al cliente para que pasara cuanto antes por mi taller oficial de Gijón para solucionar definitivamente la problemática de mi coche. ¿qué me han dicho?, que se había realizado mal el cambio del aceite en mi vehículo y que lo tendrían que hacer según el boletín oficial de Honda. Podemos hacerlo mal una vez, ¿pero 5?, habiendo puesto incluso reclamaciones??La consecuencia a la mala actuación la sufre ahora mi coche, esa vibración bastante desagradable tanto para los que van sentados en la parte trasera como el que conduce que lo sufre en la dirección (volante) y en todo el coche, añadiendo el ruido pertinente.
    Compré mi coche con la mayor ilusión, pero no estoy teniendo buena experiencia con el servicio post-venta del mismo. Pasamos "la pelota" de unos a otros y creo que me dará bastante que hacer.
    La serie de 2007, por foros que leí, ha salido con unas piezas del eje trasero defectuosas y que en HondaSpirit, según leí, la solución está en cambiar el eje trasero (3mil euros de coste) que viene defectuoso de fácbrica.

En fin, dejo esto aquí para que si alguien tiene el mismo problema que yo, pueda tener una referencia.

Muchas gracias.

Un saludo.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Translation, courtesy of Kirstie (we're an English centric site, mgp3).

Had the noise and vibration, tried having the rear differential oil changed 5 times. After about a week, the noise and vibration returned - this happens when turning & when travelling in a straight line. No one could figure out what the problem was. Complained about the noise repeatedly to Honda, with no resolution to the problem. This was all under warranty.

Then, the warranty ran out - that's when he complained to the car magazine, who tried to act as an intermediary. At that point, they (assuming that means Honda) claimed that the rear differential oil was changed incorrectly, and not in accordance with the Honda service bulletin. Couldn't fathom how that could have happened not one, but FIVE times, especially since he was complaining to Honda throughout the process.

It appears that he has NOT had his car fixed, and that the noise and vibration continue, and is especially uncomfortable for rear passengers.

He bought his car with great enthusiasm, but is very disappointed at how after-sale service has gone, and feels they have passed the ball around without actually helping him. He's read here and on other forums that parts of the rear axle in the 2007s are defective, and that it will cost the owner 3,000 Euros (~$4,300) to replace the defective part. He's posted here hoping that others who have had the same problem might be able to help him find resolution.
    Our Honda made this noise since the day we bought it.
    Our mechanic said he can fix it we are taking to him to see if he actually can.
    One mechanic said the rear internal settings are not aligned correctly.
    Will post when we know for sure.
  • floranteflorante Member Posts: 2
    Ever since I experienced the same problems with my 2005 with 35k miles, I searched all over the internet and found out that all CRV's (RTAWD) from 1999 until at least 2007 are experiencing practically the same problem. Honda is not doing everything it can do to solve the problem. Its remedy has always been to change the fluid but the real problem is what's
    making the fluid to fail prematurely or get contaminated as they claim. Honda can re-formulate their DPF II, III, IV, V, VI, VII but the real solution is to re-design some of the parts which they have not done, maybe the materials they use to make those parts etc. etc.
    I believe prospective buyers of CRV's should be informed of this decade-long problem that Honda until now has TOTALLY IGNORED. All those bad rear differentials from 1999 -2007 should be replaced by Honda at no cost to the owners. Maybe a global RECALL is needed.
  • floranteflorante Member Posts: 2
    Maybe if we could only have somebody from Honda Corporate HQ read the posts here, Honda mght be forced to finally acknowledge the problem and provide a REAL SOLUTION. Honda TSB 07-024 states "PROBABLE CAUSE'.
    To me probable means MAYBE OR POSSIBLE. In the court of law it means nothing. No accused is going to jail only because of POSSIBLE CAUSE. That's just telling me HONDA is totally in the dark. I will never buy anything made by Honda and will convince others to do the same.
  • judylinkjudylink Member Posts: 33
    Please..... they are aware.........
  • eenglish99eenglish99 Member Posts: 28
    Has this issue been addressed with newer models?

I'm looking at a 2011 AWD
  • jduchainejduchaine Member Posts: 1
    Is there a front differential ?
  • 1999crv11999crv1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 CRV AWD and just started getting a noise from the back when I have the brakes on and am travelling less than about 15 MPH, straight or turning. It has 190K. I thought it was the rear brakes but two mechanics checked it and told me the brakes are fine. Finally, the third mechanic told me it was the rear diff., that it wasn't critical and I could wait until the noise got louder to have it repaired. He said it would cost $500-$600.

Is it OK to wait? I'm concerned it could cause bigger problems if I do? Is there any other fix? Not sure if the fluid was ever changed (I've had it since 20K miles)? Should I chage the fluid?

Suggestions appreciated.
  • 2001hondacrv2001hondacrv Member Posts: 11
    It's recommended that the rear diff fluid be changed approximately every 15,000 miles. I'm shocked that you haven't noticed the noise before now? I bought my 2001 Honda w/27,000 miles on it and originally thought it was the brakes as well, until the mechanics explained it to me. I've faithfully had the rear diff fluid changed every 15,000 miles - the fluid itself to change runs about $85 at my dealership. My Honda has 105,000 miles on it now.

It was explained to me that it's comparable to having the oil in the engine changed. I was also told that if the rear diff eventually gave out from not having the fluid changed, it would be huge to fix, somewhere around $3K. If you didn't have a Honda dealer look at it, I would suggest doing that. BTW, you can only have the rear diff done by Honda. Good luck, I hope this helps!
  • 1999crv11999crv1 Member Posts: 2
    I have had it serviced regularly by a mechanic that specializes in Hondas, but not the dealership. Major and minor service was done at 15K intervals. Maybe that fluid was changed regularly, I will have to check my records. You don't think they could change the diff. fluid?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    It's recommended that the rear diff fluid be changed approximately every 15,000 miles

I'd like to see that in the owner's manual...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lax3lax3 Member Posts: 5
    I have Honda CRV Ex 2010, its only 20 month (14.5 miles) under warranty period....and I noticed the noise and maintenance indicator shows A1 6 (6 means change Rear Differential Fluid)

Questions -

- Will it (cost to change Rear Differential Fluid) cover in my warranty?

- DO we have any recommendation from honda when (how many miles) to change this?

Thanks
    Where do we have recommendation from honda when (how many miles) to change this? any mannual? or any honda link online?

Thanks
    I have Honda CRV Ex 2010, its only 20 month (14.5 miles) under warranty period....and I noticed the noise and maintenance indicator shows A1 6 (6 means change Rear Differential Fluid)

Questions - What do I need to do to make this paid by honda?

Thanks