Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mariner Transmission Problems

daisyvan77daisyvan77 Member Posts: 4
I bought my 07 Mariner in Oct. 06 it has 16,500 miles on it, and since then I have had to replace the transmission and I have had to have it towed twice because of starter problems. I need a dependable vehicle what do you suggest I do? I tried telling the dealership it is a lemon and to trade it out equally but they won't.

Comments

• clariosclarios Member Posts: 19
    My '05 Mariner has been excellent, and based on what I read here, I think that is the case for most. So you probably did get the unlucky lemon. Lemon laws vary from state to state. Try http://www.lemonlaw.bbb.org/ for some information. I think that the norm is having to make a major repair three times. But I am not 100% sure about that.
  • daisyvan77daisyvan77 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the web site I will check it out.
  • jheckerjhecker Member Posts: 1
    We just lost the transmission in our 07 Mariner at 3300 miles! That's not good!
    I have had problems with mine even after the transmission has been changed out.. I have a new started now also! I want to trade it in.
  • jazzy10jazzy10 Member Posts: 1
    i purchased a 2008 mariner 4 days ago and the transmission went after 800 miles it wouldnt go in reverse it wouldnt change gears a host of issues the dealer is getting a new tranny from the factory what are my chances this will be okay or should i refuse car ???
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Installing a new factory transmission should not cause any problems.
    After the Ford Dealership put a new from factory transmission in I started having other problems.. I had to have it towed 6 times and still they said they could not find a problem. I filed the lemon law on them and my mariner quit again, with in 45 min. of them having it towed 20 mi. they called me and said they found the problem. It was the starter. They recieved the Lemon Law papers thats why they fixed it. I still did not feel safe in it so I traded it for a Dodge.
  • jjswansojjswanso Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Mariner transmission gave out in less than three years. They tell me there is no PT Warrenty on the 2005. This kind-of sucks. I heard that the transmission they put in this car was too small.
  • kmswebkmsweb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Mariner and have also had trans issues. When I got it, it had 28000 miles on it and even though I test drove it, I didn't notice that there was a problem with the overdrive. It would rumble into overdrive when I was going over 45mph. I had it repaired under warranty, they also fixed a leak in the trans cooler. But there were other problems that I started noticing after it was fixed. It would clunk into 2nd gear if I was coasting after letting off the gas, and I would loose power for a second when driving up a steep hill. I took it to one dealership and they told me I needed a new fuel filter and that was why it was loosing power, they said they didnt notice a clunk into 2nd. I thought that was bull so I took it to another dealer and they said there were no error codes, but the tech could feel what I was talking about. They had to replace the whole trans & cooler. Now its been a few months and my warranty is expired. I have started hearing that clunking noise again and am worried its going bad again. I dont drive like an a-hole. I totally baby this truck because its my first newer vehicle that I had to pay a good chunk of money for. My husband thinks the sealed trans is garbage. And we have started joking about how many Fords you can normally see sitting in front of a transmission shop waiting for service. I wish we could swap the trans with a better one cuz I really like my truck.
  • fbrockfbrock Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 2008 Mercury Mariner for less than three months. In that time I've had to have a brake kit put on, the torque converter went out and they had to replace my transmission and the Power control module had to be replaced. Oh, and I forgot they had to replace my battery because it was leaking.
    I would say this is a lemon and has completely turned me off to wanting another Mariner or Ford product.
    I have contacted the BBB to request a full refund of my money so that I can go buy something else.
  • msmadmsmad Member Posts: 1
    fbrock,
    I am having similar issues with my 08 Mariner. I've only had it for a year. This is too early to be experiencing problems w/ the transmission. Is Ford putting old parts in their vehicles? This is awful! What is the outcome of your situation with BBB? If there is a positive outcome, please advise because I am interested in filing a complaint. I would like a full refund as well so that I can purchase a car of worth w/o the stress and headache. NO MORE FORD PRODUCTS FOR ME!!!
  • drc7drc7 Member Posts: 1
    I leased the 2008 Mariner in Feb.2007. A week ago my car started lunging forward when stopped and taking off from a light or stop sign. The car feels like its shifting gears and dragging as if the emergency brake is on. The car lunges so hard that the first time it happened I thought someone had hit me from the back; but there was no car behind me. I drove it for about 5 more days before taking it in for service hoping it would just stop, but it just drastically increased. Just like the rest of you it is a transmission defect. They have to change the transmission coolant, but the part is on back order for two weeks because of the high increased problems with this vehicle. Thats just great and I only have 8100 miles on this car. I barely drive it, this feb. will be two years that I've owned the car.
  • sassy20sassy20 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 Mariner and the transmission just went out. Never had any clues that is was going out it just stopped. From what I can see transmissions in this vehicle, no matter how old is a problem. I had to go 1 1/2 hrs. to pick up my husband. What is the problem with these ? Is the company so lame that they haven't figured out they have a problem?
  • pincer78pincer78 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone else had problems with the transmisson after have the transmisson cooler replaced? i am being told now that i need a new transmisson and since i have 65000 miles on my car, its out of warranty. i will NEVER buy FORD again.
  • janette30janette30 Member Posts: 1
    YES! just today my transmission messed up on my 2008 mariner and is at the dealership. I had the cooler replaced in November through a recall, and only have put 3100 miles on the car since then till today. I bought an extended warranty, and should be covered, but ford is trying to get out paying for it, so Im not happy. There is no reason for it to happen to either one of us...and Ford should stick by it's problems, and it's customer's.
  • pmpgirlpmpgirl Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a yr old (used) Mariner. One month later, it's in the shop for the transmission (and speaker). I was told that there was not an official recall, but a 'customer satisfaction..' where only some models have this issue, so if you complain, they look into it. Well I just dropped it off again after they rebuilt it and still having issues with accelerating fast enough. So outdone! I just got rid of my last car after replacing the trans twice! They make you feel like your crazy and nothings wrong but my neighbor has the same one and hers drives exceptionally better...acceleration is very obviously better! I typically really like Fords, but was sooo disappointed to be dealing with something so major at only 22k miles.
  • crazymarinercrazymariner Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    I have a 2005 AWD Mercury Mariner. At slow speeds, pretty much only start from a stop. I get a screeching sound from under the vehicle. I lifted car off ground and put car into drive with the parking brake on for resistance. The noise sounds like its the center support bearing at the drive shaft.
    Picture of center support: http://www.ccidriveline.com/ford/escape-center-support-bearing.html

Ford doesn't sell product. They only sell the whole drive shaft.

Anyone else have an issue like this?
  • jacekijaceki Member Posts: 1
    Took my 08 Mercury Mariner with 43707 miles (at the time) to have it fixed after noticing a transmission fluid leak in front of my car. The car has a powertrain warranty until May 2013 or 100.000 total miles.) It turned up to be a transmission fluid cooler leak (something that Ford Company is very well aware of (TSB issued)). To Jeremy's credit, he tried to run it under warranty, but came up empty handed. For some reason, the cooler is a part of the condenser for A/C system, therefore not covered under powertrain warranty (????) I am now out of $925.96, and Ford Company and Countryside Ford dealership refuse to do anything about it. When I brought up all the problems with this particular part in other models (08 Escape, 08 Mariner, 08 Mazda Tribute), they could not wait for me to just pay for a repair and leave (Jeremy even started the car for me!). Called the Ford Company, and after over the week they refused to do anything about it either. Folks, beware of Ford Company products as they refuse do take care of the substandard parts they put in their cars. I will get rid of my Mariner as soon as possible and will never buy another Ford product. I will also spread the word as far as I can.
  • shadowmom61shadowmom61 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Mariner that I have had so many random problems with, it is incredible. I have had an alternator replaced, a driveshaft replaced, abs rings replaced, two separate window regulators replaced, ac condensor replaced, and now the transmission is shot! I only have 79k miles on this piece of trash. I contacted Ford a year and half ago and their solution was to suggest I buy an extended warrantee. I highly discourage anyone from buying a Mariner.
  • tbar83tbar83 Member Posts: 1
    Wow! My '07 Mariner is just under 78k and without warning..... The Transmission went out! if this has been going on since the 2005 model, why didn't Ford fix the OBVIOUS problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kgrallkgrall Member Posts: 1
    I also had my 08 mercury mariner in the shop for 12 days having the transmission repaired 61000.00 miles of course the warranty did not cover this even though my 5 yrs were still good !! Now it is leaking trans fluid VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH FORD!! This my third new vehicle with ford and my last that i will purchase through ford.. RECALLS NEED TO BE DONE.
  • hezholyhezholy Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    My 07 mariner has just under 75000 and I had the same exact problem as you. My car was fine then boom transmission went out. I am trying to figure out who I talk to. I am upset with the dealership I bought this car from becasue they should know all about this. Now they are telling me it is 3000 to fix and I do not have it. Has anyone had any luck with this issue getting resolved?
  • jilljenjilljen Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Merc Mariner with less than 50k miles on it and I keep all maintenance on it up to date completely. On Sat. it just stopped at a stop sign like I had put it in neutral. Today I had it towed to the Transmission shop to find that it will cost $3500 - $4000 to repair!!!!!!!!!!! Who has that kind of $$ these days??? :sick:
  • noraglorianoragloria Member Posts: 2
    I couldn't agree more. Purchsed the car in late 2010 with about 60k miles on it. Two weeks ago, something happened and every mechanic I've taken the car to says it's the tranny.

Ford HAS to know that this a common issue. That there hasn't been a recall or some effort to help the consumer is shameful.

It's class action time.
  • noraglorianoragloria Member Posts: 2
    I guess it all depends on how much you need your vehicle to be reliable, and how much time you have to spend at the dealership. Just read the posts on this blog.

If you're going to accept the dealer's "repair," read the small print. 'Nuff said.

Good luck!
  • jilljenjilljen Member Posts: 2
    I am with YOU!!! Let me know if you move forward, I am on board. It cost me $4000 out of my retirement account.
  • linda2b1965linda2b1965 Member Posts: 1
    I brought a 2008 Mercury Mariner a little over yr ago, with my disability back pay, never owned a vehicle that was under 100000 miles on it this had 17000 on it when we purchased it. Now the transmission is slipping and it stalls at a stop, we have 45000 miles on it. I am so upset, reading all this and not knowing how we can ever recover. If There is anything we can do to get this out there to help others and ourselves. Please let me know.
  • gtsfreakgtsfreak Member Posts: 1
    Although this car has been somewhat reliable, it suffers from a lousy engineering flaw. In particular, the ABS tone ring. There are four on the Mercury Mariner. Both front driver's side and passenger side went out on mine around 60,000 miles. Because the front tires and half-shafts are more exposed to the elements than the rears, rust occurs and causes the ring to break. Unacceptable in my opinion. This breakage leaves you with two possible solutions: replace the tone ring (which costs approximately $5 - $30 each) and $150 labor or replace the tone ring "assembly", complete with half-shafts (approximately $200 parts and labor.) Regardless, a poor engineering design by Ford has once again reaffirmed my belief in buying Toyota or Honda. No matter what Ford says, this car is not up to Japanese quality. Sorry, Ford. Will never buy American again. What were your engineers thinking? Oh wait a minute... I guess they weren't.
  • burgauburgau Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner with approximately 115,000 miles on it and recently the tranny started to act up. When I go to put my car in gear the entire car jerks. This is very dangerous on our roads in Northern Wisconsin. I called Ford and they told me it is not their problem. I bought my car from the Ford Dealer in Superior WI. When I bought my car I was told there had not been any recalls on the car. This was incorrect as there was a recall that had expired regarding the tranny problems. Ford nor the dealer will work with me. I should have listen to my spouse and bought a Chevy sometimes guys do know better. I will never buy another ford product in my life. I will tell everyone what a piece of crap their vehicles are, and I would love to join a class action law suit. I will be writing to my State representatives and encourage all others to write to their elected officials. Pretty sad how they will lie just to sell a car. To the local Chevy dealer I will be there soon to buy a new vehicle.
  • ghalgeghalge Member Posts: 1

I bought a 2007 Mercury Mariner in 2006. In March of 2008 the transmission had to be fixed under warranty, 20,000 miles. The car was exhibiting the same problems as the recall which is not a recall 13N03. The car just loses power as it goes along then finally won't go forward like its in neutral. If the car cools off you could move forward again at reduced power. it limps.

WELLLLL

I am now having the same problem and FORD/Mercury says its not a problem. That's is just BS there is no way a car should need a transmission never mind two at 100,000. cars should go at least 150,000. This is a safety problem. if this has ever happened on the highway and I lost power suddenly an 18 wheeler would have just run over me and the car.

I am very unsatisfied with this car and how FORD/MERCURY is handling this.

• stinmercstinmerc Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to know if there is any class action taken on this matter ? We need some one to organize .
  • 06fordcustomer06fordcustomer Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2016
    I have a 2006 Mariner and the transmission just went out. Never had any clues that is was going out. It just lost power an hour after changing the right front wheel tone ring. Another of the so many issues is the iddler pulley, which I have had to change 5 times in less than three months. They just bend and break! From what I can see transmissions and idler pulleys in this vehicle are a mess. My ten-year-old makes fun of me now, and says that she will never want a Ford--not even as a gift! What is the problem with Ford vehicles? They should not make and sell vehicles like that!
  • MCLEOD224MCLEOD224 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. It has been an excellent vehicle until now with about 250,000 miles on it. Just had a lot of work done to it after it quit on me a few weeks ago. Now, it had been having some problems before, but it was drive-able. For the past couple years, the vehicle has unpredictably been quitting on me and the red triangle shows up. Up until now no problem could be found other than replacing the battery (and I think I got taken on that). That was at a private shop, and they also were unable to find the source of the A/C not working properly, so I decided, finally, to go to a dealer where they have all the fancy computers. Anyways, $2,345 later, the engine still revs high when it's put in reverse right after start-up. The A/C issue was fixed, the hybrid battery filter replaced as well as a cooling fan. Question I have is, do older vehicles like this require warming up? Most of the time when it is warmed up there's no issue, but can be unpredictable. Pulling the vehicle out of the dealer, the engine revved high (when the dealer tech tried several times without success to replicate the issue), but it did not quit as before. I thought, "What a coincidence that I try it at the dealer and I get the exact issue I was talking about!" Sometimes I think you have to be RIGHT THERE with the tech to get them to understand the issue. We never had to wait before on the vehicle to warm up before putting it in gear. Is this the issue you think on this old vehicle?
  • IronmanxxxIronmanxxx Member Posts: 1
    I went thru the head scratching on my 2006 Mariner. Would jerk when shifted down from overdrive with a minor load going back up to OD, new TPS sensor, transmission check, PCM check, nothing. No engine lite, no OBD codes. Took it to another transmission should with a signal analyzer and found number 2 cylinder mis-fire, all without any fault codes. Replaced 1-2-3 plugs and coil packs, the 4-5-6 plugs (since in the front) and no more jerking.