Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Thanks for the info, jb227. It sounds like there's no need to rush into a new RDV. Your new RDV sounds like a clone of the car I'm thinking of getting, an upgrade of my current ride.
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    I have had an 06 for about 10 weeks. Black, AWD, grey leather, sunroof, 3.6 liter. Very comfortable ride, looks better in black than any other color (just my opinion). Nothing has gone wrong so far.

Phil :)
  • dpullen4dpullen4 Member Posts: 12
    Is yours a CXL w/ captain seats by chance? If so, I'd be interested. I'm in Indianapolis.
  • pipedreaminpipedreamin Member Posts: 1
    Finally got my 2004 repaired today. We had a grinding noise in the steering column and "rub" from the right front of this junk pile since last year. When we took it in for service they found nothing wrong. It continued to get worse, and developed a rear end hop when driving over a rough patch at highway speeds. Today, they replaced the rack and pinion and the left front wheel hub. Fortunately, all under warranty, 31,515 miles. It has intermittent electrical glitches, nothing that can be reproduced when in the shop or shows up in the diagnostics. Lease ends in Sept and can't wait to get rid of it.
  • gail04gail04 Member Posts: 51
    Hi...I wish my 04 was a leased vehicle! I'd have a better chance turning it in than selling it! Just recovered from yet another leak due to sunroof tubes!! 3rd leak since Oct! GM pays, but that means nothing to me at this point-given days missed from work, rental car, delays and totally owning untrustworthy vehicle! We had the floods in NE, & the car has this issue. A whistle-tea kettle noise (incase others hear this) was finally resolved after months of 2 diff. dealers and threats! Air throttle valve was the first thing they thought to replace. It did resolve. This time, I told them I was leaving the car there & they could do whatever with it, given it was in for the leak in roof! They called GM, adivsed they replaced air throttle valve & was told it was a fuel regulator! This, was AFTER they tried to convince me I had Exceptional hearing, & to just LIVE with the noise, from 0-30MPH...Just a note to beware! This is an 04 w/now 10K miles. I can't stand to look at it, yet to trade, I will loose money. To sell, I'd have to be totally honest with buyer on the roof issue, as it's bound to come back again. Maybe you can turn it in ahead of time given it's not only a lease, but a LEMON?? :lemon:
  • roadkill57roadkill57 Member Posts: 1
    Now that my 2002 RDV is in the shop, today, and needing over $1600 in repairs for a leaky head gasket (yep, overheated and such), where do I tell my friendy Woody Buick service man to stick that bill? I thought I was going in for a new t-stat, flush and fill for about $200 bucks, wasn't expecting this. Please advise, thanks. Roadkill57
  • ragtop262ragtop262 Member Posts: 58
    Just thought I'd share my experiences. In late 2003 I bought a very low mile used '03 AWD Rendezvous. I kept it until 72,000 miles. The problems I had included replacing the steering rack & pinion as well as the turn signal module under warantee. Out of warantee, I had a problem with a corroded wiring harness that apparently shorted out a couple sensors. Took two trips to fix, and a total of about $400. Maintenance included oil changes, a rear brake job, and new tires. I averaged 21.5 MPG in mosty highway driving, and had a total cost of ownership of 0.35/mile. I changed oil every 4000 miles, it never burned a drop and still looked clean when I drained the old stuff out. Overall, I was extremely satisfied with that vehicle.

Last October I traded the '03 in for a very low mile used '05 AWD model. I now have close to 30,000 miles on this one and it hasn't been back for any repairs. Fuel milage is a little less, just over 20 MPG (my guess is that is due to the wider 17" tires on the '05). I'm using synthetic oil in this one, and changing it at 8000 miles, unless the oil change light comes on sooner (the oil life monitor usually goes about 10,000 miles in summer and 8000 miles in winter before it lights up - based on my driving conditions). Once again, I am very pleased with my second Rendezvous.

I am tall, so I need a lot of head room and leg room. And due to back/hip problems, I need to have a wide seat that has a high, upright driving position and good back support. There is simply no other vehicle out there that has the combination of features I need with the possible exception of a few of the full size SUV's. But I can't afford the gas or the monthly payments on those.

If you like the features of the Rendezvous, don't pay attention to the magazine critics who drive the vehicle for a day or two before telling you "everything there is to know about it". Listen to the people who have lived with the vehicle for many months and many thousands of miles.

I would however, make a few recommendations:
    1. Stay away from the '02 models due to the sheer number of complaints.
    2. Buy an extended warantee.
    3. If you drive in the mountains regularly, look for one with the 3.6L engine.
  • eagle76eagle76 Member Posts: 2
    If anyone can respond as soon as possible, I'd really appreciate it. Does the 3rd seat in the 2006 CXL FWD fold absolutely flat away into the floor? Thanks so much.
  • intrepidcubintrepidcub Member Posts: 60
    Ok guys and prolly some Gals you guys have me scared as heck LOL I jsut bought a 02 CX with 48K on it. After my intrepid was a victim of the 2.7 sludge problem and now i read all these horror stories and have me nervous once again. are they really that bad?? I got the service record from buick on this car and its only been in the shop for some rear hatch release recall and its predelivery deal. what should i be worried bout i plan on switching to synthetic fluids at 50K and then hope the car last a while it will sit for 2 weeks at a time so not drivin much. i am sure that people concentrate on the negatives and not the positives but can someone giv eme some more insite thanks :)
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I have the Pontiac version, but they share some of the same troubles. First thing if it has any kind of warranty I would wonder about the lower intake manifold gaskets if they were never changed. Feel free to send me a e-mail and I can send you a couple pics (or maybe I have it online somewhere and can send a link) that show what you may be able to see fom the outside to indicate leak. AC condenser may be a problem as well as BCM issues and wheel bearings. I think those are the most common items.
    Actually when i test drove it the AC wasnt working so the dealerhsip charged it and 2 weeks later it was dead again jsut got it back and they replaced the condenser. no charge to me whats with the wheel bearings?
  • regalluvr2regalluvr2 Member Posts: 114
    The 2002 RDV's had a less than sterling reputation.Consumer Reports rates them as Do Not Buy.

The main issues are the following.

BCM-tons of electrical problems
    Intake and Head gaskets that leak
    AC Condensor
    Wheel Bearings and hubs
    Stalling and refusing to restart

Some 02 RDV's have been trouble free.Our 2002 CXL AWD had tons of BCM problems so we got rid of it before it ran out of factory warranty.

On the plus side they are a roomy and very nice riding vehicle
    The wheel bearings can fail rather early (maybe 20 to 30k miles) and they are an assembly so kinda pricey ($200+ dollars). Its kind of strange as some have had them replaced multiple times and others don't seem to. I have two vehicles subject to the problem and have replaced both fronts on one and none on the other.
    Yes it does. I do not use the 3rd row so I have a flat cargo area.

Phil
  • eagle76eagle76 Member Posts: 2
    Very good...exactly what I've been looking for. A 2006 CXL FWD Cappaccino Frost will be in my driveway soon! Thank you!
  • frustrated14frustrated14 Member Posts: 2
    Bought in MD in late Dec. and did not turn on air conditioner (winter). We went to FL for three months and turned it on while there. A loud noise is present whenever I accelerate. Took it to our service dealer when we returned in April. It was determined we needed a new compressor. We had to delay the sevice because of surgery for my husband. The compressor was replaced June 13 and when I drove it home (a mile) a red light came on about "oil Pressure" and a loud dinging occured that could not be shut off. They don't have a clue what is wrong!!!!! They have been on the phone with Detroit engineers and at one point they thought it was the alternator but ruled that out. They have had my car for 10 days now and I'm very concerned. Is this just the beginning of problems? This should not have happened with a new car.
  • mudpuppymudpuppy Member Posts: 1
    I have a '03 Rendezvous with 89k miles. It has never given any problems! Have only changed oil and added gas. Changed tires one time. I think it is a very good car. :)
    hey guys i got seperate questions and ill post them that way therfore if ones answered it wont keep popping up. Is there a way to disable the DRL on a 02, Buick says NO but according to a few websites it can be done but GM wires them different each car and noone has showed it on a rendezvous yet? ive pulled the fuse and microbreaker and it trips the service engine light. id preciate some advice thanks
    #2 :) while playing wiht my onstar which is not activated as i think onstar is up there with starbucks as a point on the axis of evil. i locked the security code for the hands free calling. i was saying numbers amazed at the voice recognition and next thign you know Security code On. onstar wont help because its nto an active account but i think the code is part of the on board onstar system is there a way to get past it or reset it if you dont knwo the code im sure since cars get sold it happens. I also wanna find the onstr GPS and control box in SUVS its generally in the rear cargo area where is it on a rendezvous the exploded view from buick shows it int he glove box area anyone actually have seen it in person and where it is?i would apreciate any help thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A bit off-topic, but if you are a Buick fan, don't miss the The World's First Concept Car: 1938 Buick Y-Job article.

I can't figure out why my Dad's '53 Buick didn't look like that!
  • jewelthefooljewelthefool Member Posts: 1
    Help if you can - today i was in a 2005 Buick Rendevous it had 8 seat belts - i will agree that the centre seatbelt seemed odd but it was there - today when discussing this with an automotive sales person he said it was impossible and there is only 7 seating possiblities in a Rendevous - before enquiring here i searched vehicles for sale and found 2 that state seats 8 passengers. Does anyone have any opinon, comment or statement to help me with this? I am willing to eat crow but will not go quietly into dinner without finding out why I hear, read and SAW this....

thanks jj
    where were these 8 belts?
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I Rendevous has only 7 seat belts and legally seating for 7 passengers max.
  • toonzeetoonzee Member Posts: 19
    Brought my 2002 Rendezvous in today because of a constant groaning sound when you make turns. I thought perhaps it was the steering. Dealer called to tell me it was the rear differential, and that GM has a service bulletin out that dictates the dealer change the fluid twice to correct the problem Dealer advised he did this, and the noise is gone. I have a funny feeling this will not correct the problem long term however. I did purchase the major guard warranty, so this was covered, or it may have been covered even without it. Will this be a permanent solution, or will I be back in a month for a new rear differential. Add this to the list of problems with this POS. Never buying another GM, I can see why they are going broke.
  • greenhkgreenhk Member Posts: 48
    I'm being quoted $30,475 (after all rebates) for:
    2006 AWD Rendezvous, CXL Luxury Package, PLUS CXL Plus Package, with 2nd row captain's chairs.

This is the first offer they've given me - done completely via internet negotiations. I've checked & invoice on this looks like $33,253.

What do you guys think? Should I ask for something even lower? If so, what price do you suggest I ask for? Thanks in advance! (I've also posted this on the "prices paid" topic but saw that this forum may see a little more action.)
    I probably don't have the same options picked, but TMV comes in at $29,725 for an '06 with CXL Lux, CXL Plus, 2nd row captain's for my zip code. Invoice for the one I built was $33,108.
  • greenhkgreenhk Member Posts: 48
    I've gotten another quote for $30,269 (only $200 savings!) -Steve - do you think I could say to them "I won't pay any more than $29,725 for this car" - and see what happens? Do you think I should go even lower?
    I'd figure out the TMV for your options and zip code and then go a bit lower. Tell them you will pay $xx,xxx "out the door." The '07's are getting tooled up and the dealers will be wanting to clear the lot of the '06's, plus it's a lousy market for SUVs right now.

Car fever is kind of fun but there's another car on the next lot in the next town and if you have the "I can walk" attitude you may be able to get a great deal.

TMV should be your target and since TMV is somewhat of an average, an educated shopper like you should be able to beat it.

If there aren't any "out the door" pricing stories over in the Buick Rendezvous: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion, search for some using the Advanced Search tool on the left sidebar. That phrase has worked wonders for lots of people.
  • nbw0305nbw0305 Member Posts: 7
    I had this problem in June. Had the rear differential fluid flushed and it worked. So far so good. Wish I could say that about the other issues I've had. The warrantee did not cover it, but it was well worth the $125. I agree...will NEVER buy another Buick. They can't even fix their own problems. Next car will either be a Maxima or Toyota.
  • toonzeetoonzee Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the reply, this truck has been nothing but trouble. I have owned mostly GM's my entire driving life. But this ends it, mostly likely will have to purchase a foreign car now.
  • woca1121woca1121 Member Posts: 1
    Where can I go to get touchscreen navigation for my 2004 Rendezvous?
  • bstephens2bstephens2 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know about your price, but I have other words for you. Don't buy it! After driving an 2002, we traded for an 05 last year [new]. So much road noise, the dealer finally changed out the tires and put Michelins on. That helped a little; not much.

Look at the body integrity-or the absence of!
    It's a very poorly built vehicle inside and out. Every time I wash it, I check for leaks.
    I've owned GM vehicles since 1977. This is my last one. To do over, I'd go with the Honda Pilot or the HIghlander.
  • huskydawghuskydawg Member Posts: 15
    I had a 2002 RDV CXL. Just traded it in today for another car. And I did not get another GM vehicle, infact, GM weren't even considered. BTW, the RDV trade in value is horrible.

I had many of the same problems as well. I think I may have more BCM replacement than oil changes. I had less than 30,000 miles on my RDV. I figure I better get rid of it before my extended warranty runs out.

It's a very nice vehicle when it's working properly, but in my case, I had way too many unscheduled dealer visits. Best of luck to all you 2002 RDV owners, and thank you all for providing informations on this board. I really learned a lot and I bet you all a farewell.
  • eniesseneniessen Member Posts: 1
    :confuse:

I lost my owner's manual and need help on how to program the garage door opener that is built into the Rendezvous overhead counsel. Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Buick Rendezvous
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • eddy305eddy305 Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased. My personnal settings does not have SEAT RECALL or TILT MIRROR. Should It??? it has all of the other setting.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 2005 rdv, I was told it was all wheel drive. There is nothing on the vehicle that says all wheel drive. How do I know if I have that feature?
    I surfed around a bit to see if there was an option code or something to tell, but didn't find one. Next easiest way to tell is to get on the ground and look underneath for a driveshaft going front to rear, if its there you have AWD, if not, FWD
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    We are considering various AWD vehicles and always liked what the Rendezvous offers. I wanted to catch up on the Edmunds discussions of the RDV and was surprised to see no posts here in 2 weeks. I searched for other RDV forums but didn't find much else. This topic seems to be the main place where general Rendezvous stuff (excluding problems) is discussed -- true or false?
    For 2007, Buick has dropped the AWD option on the Rendezvous. They are going to drop the model after this model year. If you really want one you will have to look for a leftover 2006.

Phil
    Thanks for the info - didn't realize RDV was being phased out. We are focusing on a used 2005 or 2006. Looks like you can get a nice one with low miles, lots of options for $16-21k. The used market in my area (Michigan) has plenty to choose from, so I expect to negotiate a very good deal.

Ideally, we'd get the 3.6L engine but I would be satisfied with the 3.5L.
    I saw a couple comments on the web recently suggesting that the 3.6L V6 is more likely to be troubleprone than the other Rendezvous engines (3.5L in 2006- and 3.4L in 2002-2005). Does anyone have any information or thoughts about this?

The 3.4L was around for several years before the first Rendezvous was sold plus it is an old-school design, so it should be more solid / bug-free than a newer engine model -- at least in theory. The 3.5L I think was an evolution of the 3.4L and has been used for a few years.

Am I more likely to have engine/drivetrain problems with a 3.6L Rendezvous than a 3.5L version?

I know the 3.6 is much higher-tech and significantly more powerful, and also boasts a 2 mpg higher fuel economy rating in the AWD (23 mpg in the 3.5 vs. 25 mpg in the 3.6). But the used 3.6 specimens are harder to find and seem to be more expensive.

I'm just not sure if it is worth digging around for a 3.6L RDV or if I would be better off with the 3.5L. The 3.5 feels peppy in our Malibu Maxx and I know the RDV's weight would slow it down somewhat, but I would still expect it to feel sufficiently powerful.
  • dmyer3dmyer3 Member Posts: 17
    bluedevils, we have an '04 with the 3.6 engine and have had no problems with the engine or anything else. Has not been back to the dealer for anything other then oil changes and a recall for computer adjustment. We are very happy with the RDV. We have 12,000+ miles on ours.
    Don
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you track fuel economy on your RDV? If so, how is it?
  • k2qok2qo Member Posts: 10
    Hi Gang,

Just thought I'd mention that (knock on wood) my 2002 AWD is still going great. Lifetime average fuel economy is 19.5 MPG. FWIW, I am an engineer and have tracked it every fillup since day one. Mine has had the usual list of things go wrong including the BCM and wheel bearings. All were fixed under warranty. I've done front and back brakes the second time and am on my 2nd set of Dunlop Radial Rovers. Mileage went down 1 MPG with this tire, but they are great in the snow here just east of Buffalo, NY.

http://web.mac.com/k2qo/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

Check out some photos for fun!

I really need the AWD and lots of room for junk as the photos show, so I hope this one runs a while more because I have NO IDEA what I'd replace it with save for maybe a Honda Element.

Best regards,
    Mark
    Clarence, NY
  • zootrzootr Member Posts: 3
    I am new to this forum and need info on the 3.6L engine. Does this engine have the same intake manifold and gasket problems as the other ones or is it to soon to tell. The RDV that I am looking at has 25K on it and AWD. What is the "Real World" MPG on this engine? Have the tranny and AWD differential,(metal fragment), problems been corrected on this year model?
    Any Help is appreciated,
    Zootr
  • jkr3jkr3 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 2007 RDV. Looking at buying & installing a GM trailer hitch (GM #12499808). But would like to know how hard it was to install. And any pictures on what it looks like installed.

:)
  • joein508joein508 Member Posts: 3
    This may be too late to help but I don't look at the message board very often.

I have an 04 Ultra and I had the local U-Haul company install my hitch. It is less than half the cost of the GM hitch and works great. The RDV is not for big time hauling but I have been using it to move complete dorm rooms back and forth without problems (beds chairs desks etc). I had them install the 2" receiver rather than the 1" so I would have a bigger choice of trailers.