Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    From the desription of the problem, I would have to think about the BTSI (brake transaxle shift interlock). Its a little gizmo inside the center console area that has a history of having troubles (broken/wiring issues).
  • rocky43rocky43 Member Posts: 1
    My AWD light stay on. The Rendezvous seem to still run good, no change in the performance in the way it rides. My problem the light stays on. One time it went off for half hour then it came back on. Do any one know what could be the problem.
    It could be something simple, like a tire that is low on air. Your dealer can plug in a scanner and it should point to one wheel where it thinks the problem is. The first thing they woul most likely do is change wheel bearing/hub assembly , but quite often the problem is due to bad connection to wheel sensor or broken/bad wire.
  • azdougazdoug Member Posts: 9
    have a 2002 vous the passenger side mirror has a mind of its own . when adjust switch is on passenger side the mirror goes crazy when i turn the key off. keeps moving until i set the switch to drivers side, anyone have this problem? fix it ?
  • rkon2rkon2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of puchasing a 06 Rendezvous w/ 32k miles. I'd like to hear from current owners to see how they like theirs and what problems can be expected. thanks
  • indyharleyguyindyharleyguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous and I've had the left wheel bearing replaced twice. Now I'm having a Intermittent problem. The service traction system panel light comes on and it turns the anti lock brakes off. The Chevy dealership is telling me the left front wheel speed sensor wire harness needs replaced. Over $250. Since it's Intermittent I'm thinking it might be a wire that needs soldered? The wire harness is only $66.00. Is this easy to replace myself? Or could I solder the wire that seems to be broken? This only happens Intermittently and most of the time when I make a hard right turn. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • lynn53lynn53 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem, but I just change the fuse,

No one seems to be able to tell me how to fix it. It has been in the shop several times but, it will always start when it is there. As soon as I pick it up and drive it for several hours it will not start. When I turn the key to start nothing , I have lights and the door chimes, but it will not start. The fuse will be borken and when it is changed it will start.
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    Hi there...

My family has a 2003 FWD RDV. As expected, we had to replace its front wheel bearings approx 6 months after we bought it. And, like other RDVs, we have to replace its front rotors every time it needs brakes. Being a front end heavy vehicle, our RDV loves "wearing out" front end parts. GGGRRRR....

From a driving comfort perspective, my wife & I "love" our RDV. Love the way it brakes, love the way it holds the corners, love its ride comfort, love its take off power (even for a 3.4L engine), love its ground height and loves its 4 doors. From this perspective, definate 9+ rating for us. For us, it really is a "fun" vehicle to drive and for doing local town "run about" needs.

For my family's 2003 RDV, I keep getting the impression that its a ticking problem waiting to blow. Its intake gasket, its main head gasket, another set of wheel bearings (every 50K-60K mile replacement) and possible BCM "computer" replacement. This "often happens to many other RDVs" has got me worried. Especially since these parts are so expensive to replace.

My neighbor has a 2005 FWD RDV. He got it stuck in the snow, over spun its front tires and blow something in the front. Long story short, they had to replace its wheel bearing, CV boot, its BCM computer and something else. Something about $3,800 repair bill because it couldn't take normal abuse.

My 2003 RDV and his 2005 RDVs are "pigs" on gas. My wife & I are very disappointed in the poor mpgs our RDV is suppose to get. re: Listed at 32 mpgs and it might get 22 mpgs going down hill (with the wind). LOL!!! My neighbor drives his V8 Dodge 4x4 because it gets better MPGs then his 2005 RDV. Don't listen to the sales guy. When the RDV goes above 50 mph, it loves the gas. Probably due to his brick shape air flow and heavier chassis.

Next time around, I don't think we would buy another RDV. Many positive "comfort" points (with our 2003 FWD RDV) but mechanically and MPGs, its hurting our wallet too much. If I had to do more driving, I'd trade our 2003 RDV in for smaller size SUV/Cross Over type vehicle. Something that is lighter weight and gets better MPGs. For example, the FWD Saturn Vue, FWD Torrent or maybe even the Vibe (for a really good MPG cost savings "run about" vehicle).

As a suggestion, visit a few auto mechanics in your area and ask them for "most known problems" with the RDV product line. Specifically, known problems with 2005/2006 RDV model. Thus, getting mechanical details from the trenches (sort of speaking).

Hope this helps....

• verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Different years and individual vehicles vary. My '04 FWD 3.4 RDV has been flawless since day 1 through 53,000 miles. Average MPG = 24; 30+ on the road, still running the original brakes and tires. Yes, it could use a few more HP and bigger brakes. But I love it - it's the most versatile, efficient vehicle I've ever owned. Too bad they've discontinued it; when I trade it in, maybe Buick will have a new, improved RDV [no, the Enclave is real pretty, but it's too fat, too thirsty, and too expensive]. Better luck with your next vehicle.
  • tablescapetablescape Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 Ultra Rendezvous and I love it. Just recently I realized my back bumper sensors were not working. I didn't run into a pole but usually they go crazy when I get close to anything and I could see I was getting close. Does anyone know how to fix them? Is there a fuse or anything easy I can do? Thanks
  • tnestnes Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2005 Rendezvous. The dealer assured me that the vehicle has AWD, I however, do not know how to tell for sure. Can someone please help me?
    Crawl under the rear of your RDV and look to see if it has axles going horizontally into each rear wheel. To confirm, simply ask your local mechanic to take a quick look - to confirm. If you take your vehicle to the same auto shop to change it engine oil, I'm sure they will look under its rear (for visual AWD axle confirmation) for free.

The easiest way to tell (if supplied) is the versatrak badge on rear window. In addtion to what previous person posted, if your underneath the vehicle you should see something that looks like a driveshaft running front to rear if you have the AWD.
  • timwestimwes Member Posts: 2
    We bought our RDV in January of 2006; a 2003 with 35K miles on it. The head gasket went the day after we bought it, but other than that we have been fairly happy with it...only other problem was the bearing hub, which I replaced (and have another one in my garage if/when I need to do it again).

However, this weekend, with 103k on it, the timing chain broke. Sitting at a stoplight it just shut off. I can pay $1000 to put a new timing chain on and HOPE there is no internal damage, or I can pay about $4000 to drop a reconditioned engine in there (not a junkyard one; but a crate engine). Needless to say, I'm pretty disappointed with this development.
  • zootrzootr Member Posts: 3
    I need info on 2005 to 2007 Rendezvous. Can the second row bench seats be interchanged with caption's chairs? I would like to replace the caption's chairs with bench seats. Will they fit into the same floor tracks? Also can the 3.4 and 3.5L engines be swapped out with the 3.6L engine. I have a 3.6L engine that I would like to put into a RDV with the 3.4L or 3.5L.
  • angeltangelt Member Posts: 1
    Have to replace the BCM in my 2002 Rendezvous. Can someone let me know where this is located? And is it neccessary to take the car to the dealer to have the BCM programmed after it is installed? Please advise.
    It is in the center console area, underneath the cover. It does have to be programmed by dealer and potentialy you could have troubles starting it if you don't (althugh I haveb;t heard of it being any issue)
  • guytrahanguytrahan Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where I could download an owner's manual for my 2003 Buick Rendezvous?
    I just bought one used, but there was no manual.
    Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online should point you in the right direction.
  • guytrahanguytrahan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Steve!
    Found all the info I needed!!
  • jacklin30jacklin30 Member Posts: 14
    What fuse do you change? My 2006 has the same problem starting. They can never duplicate it in the shop. Sometimes I have to try to turn it over 2 or 3 times before it will start. The dealership told me I had a bad battery at one time and replaced it under warranty. But, it continued to have the non-start problems in spite of that. It didn't leave me stranded though. It would start on the 2nd or 3rd try. Now the battery is going dead again and the new battery is only 2 years old. This problem has been ongoing since I bought the car. It's intermitent though and those are the hardest to get taken care of.
  • quadracerquadracer Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how to reset the security system on my 2002 RDV? The security light stays on and the radio displays locked and I can't use my remotes to unlock the doors. I'm not sure what to do. When I remove the key from the ignition the parking lights stay on.

Regards,

Quadracer
  • anthonyefanthonyef Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if I can change out the manual climate control with an OEM heater/AC/rear defrost digital auto climate control just by unplugging the manual and exchanging it with an auto one.

Approx 2 years ago, my wife & I bought a used 2003 Buick RDV. Its a CX FWD model and it has basic options. NO DIC, NO AWD and no other fancy options. Just the basic PW,PL,PS,AC, only front climate control system vehicle. Even to this day, not a spec of rust is on it - which is rare for my high salt / winter climate area. Since we bought this used vehicle, we had to replace both front wheel bearings (which is a known weak design) and already had to replace both front brake rotors (which is another known weak design). Since we had to replace the wheel bearings using our own dollars (instead of GMs free replacement - if under 60 kms), we installed the available HD/High Quality wheel bearing replacements ourselves. From a driving comfort perspective, we "love" this vehicle. Its steering is tight, its got a great ride, it starts every time and overall, its a "very fun" vehicle to drive. We also love its extra rear storage area and how tight it drives on the sharp corners. Except for its poor MPGs, I can't find other dramatic faults with this vehicle. That's how much my wife & I love it. Currently, my 2003 FWD CX RDV has 100,000 kms (or 62K miles) and we both drive this vehicle more gently then others. We do NOT tow with it and we don't abuse it - like some too agressive drivers.

Within this forum, I've been reading that many 2002 and other RDV vehicles start to "fall apart" after 60K miles. Their expensive Computers blow, their window hangers tend to snap and their engine's intake gaskets leak. Especially in the early year 3.4L engines. My mechanic told me to replace its DexCool fluid every 3 years (which we did / will do again), change its engine oil on schedule and "enjoy the vehicle - that we love so much".

For my 2003 FWD RDV CX (with basic options that is driven gently), should I worry about future problems (re: its known high risk pattern design / quality problems) or simply "drive it and enjoy"? Or, "sell/trade and run" - like some RDV folks are now doing?

thanks.

It would be nice if we had a crystal ball that would let us know exactly when we should get rid of our vehicles, but since we don't we have to use our own judgement to determine the time. As long as you like it and it is giving you good service maybe you should be happy and keep driving it. I have the Pontiac version with about 95k miles on it with no major complaints and plan to drive it a while longer. I also know of a few (again the Pontiac version) that have well over 100k miles (one aproaching 200k) and owners are still driving them. Also it is always good to remember most of what is posted is from people with troublesome vehicles and the many thousands of owners that are happy don't have anything to post (complain) about.
  • maitlandmaitland Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem..I took the car to a GM dealer and they put it on the computer but no problems were found. The engine quit twice on the way home from the dealer with no warning.If you were able to solve the problem,please post what the solution was.
  • sdc72601sdc72601 Member Posts: 1
    Do you happen to know where the best (and cheapest) place to purchace a body control module for a 03 RDV? I looked on ebay and maybe I typed it in wrong, but I didn't see any for that particular car. Also can you get a used one and have it programmed to your car? And where is it located? I haven't had this vehicle very long. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    The BCM is located in the center console area sorta beneath and if front of shifter. It is my understanding (don't know if its true) that they can only be programmed twice (even by dealer) so getting a used one could be trouble.
  • 4steeles14steeles1 Member Posts: 2
    All you have to do is jack up the entire car, please use jack stands in the front and rear, all 4 wheels have to be off the ground start the car put your foot on tye brake, then put the car in drive all 4 wheels should spin if not push the gas pedel down a little that should make all 4 wheels spin
  • catycaty Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me how to reset the security system on my 2002? The security light stays on and the radio displays locked and I can't use my remotes to unlock the doors. I'm not sure what to do. When I remove the key from the ignition the parking lights stay on. I disconnected the battery for a couple minutes last week, that work, but start again today. Can somebody help me pls!!

Thanks
  • jijjij Member Posts: 4
    Whenever this occurs, I usually open the fuse box and reset the BCM fuse.
  • yuli1yuli1 Member Posts: 4
    I've leased my Buick Rendezvous 2006 for almost 4 years with 75K on it right now.
    So far I have not had any major problem with it but now it's time to make a decision whether to keep it or not. Can anybody advise me on this matter?

Deciding to keep (buy out the lease) or "release the lease" vehicle is always a hard call. Often, a "random roll of the dice" decision. Thus, only you can decide which path to take.

My one neighbour had a 2002 AWD RDV for years. Then one season, it blew its intake gasket, it blew its plastic window clip, its rear axle started growning and for its final straw, its engine bottom end main bearings went (because its intake repair was left to long). Yes. All major problems within a 3 month time period. That vehicle got traded in when its bottom end blow bearings were discovered. I pitty the next guy who bought it (as a used vehicle).

My other neighbour had a 2002 FWD RDV and got it stuck in the deep snow (at end of his driveway). Instead of towing in out backwards (like most normal folks), the guy floors it back and forth - like a 4x4 with a transport tractor grade drive train system. This `idiot level` rocking back and forth blew its front wheel bearings and its over revving back / forth also damaged its tranny. They pulled its engine out 2 times (for transmission rebuilds) before he gave up on it. Then again, the damage was originally created by him (and his angry foot). Very sad.

My wife's 2003 FWD has been going great - since we got it 5 years ago. Yes. It needed new front wheel bearings and new front brake rotors (which are normal wear / tear items on this front end heavy weight vehicle) but in all, our 2003 FWD RDV has been a very reliable vehicle. This morning, our 2003 FWD RDV (CX - basic design) vehicle passed its E-Test with flying colors. The mechanic who did its E-Test kept commenting on how nice our 2003 FWD RDV looked. And, how he wished he had an RDV for himself (and his family).

Long post short... If have still "quality is still solid" faith in your 2006 RDV, it still looks great, it still "feels great" and your mechanic says it still looks great (from his professional eye), then perhaps keeping your 2006 RDV is a good idea. So far, I'm glad we have our 2003 FWD RDV. To me, the RDV is a good "run about" vehicle. Especially for a family of 4 - who like space inside and out.

Hope this helps - some how....

• bostonterrierbostonterrier Member Posts: 17
    Hi -
    I have a 2003 CSX with 60,000 miles on it. I still love it. Yes, it had its BCM replaced, had "groaning" from the rear end (which was solved by proper changing of the fluid in the rear traction control) and one window regulator replaced...but its a 7 year old car! Of course the odd item here and there is going to need replacing, just like any other car. But I've also changed my oil every 3000 miles like clockwork, changed the air filters regularly etc. etc. Not only to keep it running smoothly, but so my mechanic gets a look-see now and again and can catch any small things before they become big headaches.

I've used my Rondy as a moving van to move an entire household - twice! I've made multiple trips up and down the California coast, I've hauled sports equipment, carloads of kids to Disneyland....you name it. And I've always felt safe and secure merging on and off the freeways. Ok, I'll admit, the gas mileage is nothing to write home about, but otherwise, I'm sticking with my Rondy! Hope this helps!
  • jmbuickjmbuick Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to ask you veteran rondy owners what you think,and maybe what to watch out for on our 06 rendezvous?.Its the 3.6 liter,and has 59,000.Feedback please.
    Thanks a lot for your comments.
    As a matter of fact I am suprised you are not happy with your gas milege.
    Mine is just amazing better than any car I have owned.
    Actually, I'm NOT "very impressed" with the MPGs in my wife's 2003 FWD RDV either. Actually, our mini-van with 2.9L VVT engine gets better MPGs - and its got a larger size engine. Before buying her pre-owned RDV, the sales guy said it would get 32 mpg. Being idiots, we believed him. (lesson learned). In reality, our RDV might get 16-18 mpgs in the city and 22-24 mpgs on the fast hiway. Being a heavy weight vehicle, I suppose this is "ok" MPGs but in reality, its MPG doesn't come close to GM's printed value. Especially in city stop/go traffic. but for a local "run about" vehicle used for grocery and short distance trips, 16 to 22 mpgs is acceptable - for this weight of vehicle. But if doing long distance trips, I'd probably trade my wife's RDV in for a lighter weight vehicle (that get's better MPGs).

Hope this helps as well....

• cagencagen Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Vehicle shimmy's (sometimes) when turning steering wheel to back out of parking space. Also, occasionally, feels like the front wheels slip and then grab as if on a slick spot when accelerating and turning from a stop. Transmission fluid is ok and brake pads are ok. Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

2004 Buick Rendezvous CX---83,000 miles
  • beauc1beauc1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002. The compressor which is used for the suspension has become excessively loud and runs much too frequently. It seems that the system has a leak? Any info would be much appreciated.
    Either front end alignment problems or front wheel bearings or perhaps both? Best to have a professional auto shop investigate.
    I see its been 15 months since I posted my above inquire.

So far, our 2003 RDV is treating us great. No unexpected technical problems / repairs. re: She still "starts and drives" like the day we bought her - from our local used auto dealer.
  • fireypeach68fireypeach68 Member Posts: 1
    Just went to have my inspection and the technician plugged the handheld device into the OBD II port and said it was not 'working'. Said that the device wouldnt even activate. She said it could be a fuse, pulled the fuse identified as the emissions fuse and it looks to be ok (not blown). I read on some GM cars that the OBD II port can also be connected to the fuse for the Cig Lighter. Could this be the case? I didn't check that fuse yet.

Of course, this is a lady who sits at a convenience store all day just going through the motions of emissions testing so I don't have a lot of faith in her knowledge and skills. It has worked fine that past few years with an inspection. Not really sure what else it could be. Any other ideas?
  • pavlovna80pavlovna80 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide whether I should sell my 2002 Buick Rendezous. It has been a good car with little problems. We still owe about $4700, which is also its kbb value so we would most likely break even on the car. In order to purchase a another vehicle I would have to take out another loan. With only 2.5 years left on the RDV loan I am considering keeping the car but with such high miles (150k) I'm not sure its reliable and we can't afford to make any major repairs. My husband thinks we should sell but I don't want to take on more debt and the kind of car we could get for $4700 probably won't be all that reliable for me and my kids either. Any advice?
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Just my 2 cents. Back in 2007, I let my zero-problems @ 50K 2004 leased Rondy go. I've regretted it ever since. Not only was it the most useful, reliable vehicle I've ever owned, there was, and still is, no real replacement available in the new car market. Small on the outside, huge [=Tahoe] on the inside; good on gas [I averaged 22mpg; over 30mpg on the road] and full of Buick goodies.....my current RAV4 doesn't come close.
  • bostonterrierbostonterrier Member Posts: 17
    My 2003 Rhondy CXL has 75,000 and its still going strong. Gets me to where I need to go safe and sound every time. Just do your due diligence with oil changes and the like and enjoy the lower cost of your insurance vs. a new car. For me, it doesn't make sense to get into debt again when I've got a perfectly good car now.
    On the other hand, if you have about $8000, you can get a decent newer model used car. In the past 2 years, I've gotten two cars from AutoTrader for my two kids - a 2008 PT Cruiser with 17,000 miles and then a 2006 Saturn Ion with 12,000 miles. Both have been great and got them both under $8000 including taxes and fees. But you have to be patient and look at the website everyday to see what comes up for sale. (Of course, neither of those cars is as roomy and solid as my Rhondy).
    So, overall I think you should stick with your faithful Rhondy ....but it can't hurt to keep your eyes peeled for a good deal in the meantime. Good luck!
  • shadetree70shadetree70 Member Posts: 1
    I am a little confused. My 2002 Rendezvous gear shift is on the steering wheel(automatic tranny) How is this close to the center console?
  • cdyoung1cdyoung1 Member Posts: 3
    A perfectly good 2005 Rendezvous with 80K suddenly melted electrical wiring from the cigarette lighter through the dashboard, fuse ultimately blew but the car's electric wiring under the dash is severely melted. The car has been basically good for 7 years, replaced hubs, bearings and wiring to all wheel drive. Anyone experience the burnt wiring? Why did the fuse take so long to kick in?
  • cdyoung1cdyoung1 Member Posts: 3
    Well folks my seven year old Rendezvous is looking at $2500 in costs at the dealer to replace the burnt wiring I had nothing to do with. ANY TIPS? HAS anyone had this problem and been able to get Buick to pay for part of the bill??? :confuse:
  • p8787p8787 Member Posts: 3
    im looking for a sway bar for a 2002 rdv. all wheel drive. would you know anywhere or anyone tht has it?