Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    Why reply to what they say if your're gonna say the same thing? Like I said earlier "get over it" find something else to talk about, if you could because the suspension seems to be the only thing about the Genesis that's a flaw; in most people's eyes anyway.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Maybe, but then if you're setting the alignment to be better suited for driving on "crowned" roads, what would happen on flat ones?

Nothing.

Just a tad more steering effort and a tad more tire wear.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    On the other hand, there is something to be said for ignoring the posts that do not provide value for you.

To all, we need to stop making this personal. That's not helpful to anyone. Read what you want, skip what you find repetitive and move on beyond the subjects you find worn out.

Thank you! :)
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Oh the anticipation :)
  • davidlazerr9davidlazerr9 Member Posts: 3
    I read with interest the previous posts made by the gentleman who owned the genesis for 2 weeks and is trading it in. No, he is not crazy and I doubt he has an agenda as I ALMOST made the same mistake of buying one. Having owned an Azera which was a pleasant if somewhat floaty ride, I test drove several genesis models..........after early impressions that were positive, I too also realized that something was wrong with the cars suspension/handling. If you lean your head back into the headrest, you will become a human bobblehead...........enough to make me glad I didn't make an overpriced mistake with questionable resale value.
    That jittery ride makes my new Lincoln MKZ look like a wise choice indeed.....and it is not without its negatives either!
  • kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    If you lean your head back into the headrest, you will become a human bobblehead...........enough to make me glad I didn't make an overpriced mistake with questionable resale value.
    That jittery ride makes my new Lincoln MKZ look like a wise choice indeed.....and it is not without its negatives either!

Not the safest way to drive ;) Please provide more facts - what kind of driving were you doing, what type of roads, etc?

And good luck with the MKZ. I loved my Lincoln LS until about the 5th year when all the little things kept going wrong. And costing me thousands of dollars. Don't get me wrong, it was a dream to drive when things weren't going wrong. You get what you pay for :sick:
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Too bad the MKZ doesn't come with a V-8. Also, the MKZ doesn't compare with the Genesis in any way, shape or form. I would say it would compare more to the Azera, but it barely stacks up against the Sonata.

The MKS would be a more direct comparison with the Genesis and even still...no V-8 available for that either. Talk about an overpriced mistake. 40-large on a Lincoln and can't even get a V-8 under the hood. :confuse:
  • JohnNWJohnNW Member Posts: 25
    The MKS has it's virtues and limitations (it felt underpowered and low mpg IMO). However, it rode very nicely. And he's right I can hardly ever lean my head on the headrest in the Genny without feeling like a bobblehead. Plus look at the passenger seat when you are riding alone sometime - shakes like a rattle more often than not.
    The biggest limitation on the MKS...price.

Who leans their head back against the headrest while driving???

I've test driven the Genesis and certainly didn't have the experience that some have mentioned in this forum. I'm not discounting it at all. The only question I could really ask is exactly what type of surfaces are being driven on that bring forth the type of experience that some are posting on. Personally, I would love to see video or pictures. I drove over pot holes, uneven roads and the car never lost its poise. One poster made it seem that he actually went 4-wheeling in his Genesis with the way he described the problem.

Even the road tests that have been on the Speed Channel have shown the car handling quite nicely. There's one segment where the driver takes a corner and the wheels actually are on the washboard border of the track and he never even mentions anything about it...and this would be at speeds bettering that of city driving.
    Who leans their head back against the headrest while driving???

LOL!!! FWIW, just today someone posted that exact comment on the Genesis Owner's forum, and it wasn't him. He's just re-iterating what that other complainer said. Makes you wonder, doesn't it....
    Wow...that's crazy. I mean...I do rest my head against the headrest, but in most cases...the car is either parked or stopped. The only other time would be when I'm stretching on a long ride or something like that.

I'm just really curious at to how these people drive to be honest.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I believe these people are idiots to be honest with you. I mean enough already, time to move on. The car has a subpar suspension setup to some people, but not all think so. I personally like the way the car rides. If some of you people don't like the ride of the car than don't buy it. If you already bought one and you don't like the ride of it now, shame on you for not doing your homework; live with it or get rid of it. Simple.
    I would have to agree...I think there were a good many folks that purchased without much of a test drive. Some complained that they weren't afforded anything more than a cruise around the block. If that were the case, I wouldn't have bought from that salesperson or that store if that were the case. If I'm serious about purchasing and they know it...they won't have a problem with me logging in some driving time to get a full feel for the car (they let me take the Azera for a spin for 2.5 hours).

I can't imagine anyone actually buying the car if the suspension is as bad as they claim it to be.
    If you already bought one and you don't like the ride of it now, shame on you for not doing your homework; live with it or get rid of it. Simple.

Couldn't agree more. I believe he's now in the stage where he has nothing better to do than complain. Go over to the Geneis Owner's forum...there's at least 5-10 posts a day complaining about the same thing over and over. It's comical.
  • sandy25sandy25 Member Posts: 65
    There's a suspension thread on the Genesis Owners site that has approx 190 posts. Of the negative ones, 70% were from TWO posters, What does that tell you?
    Certainly if the the driver's experience was like a human bobblehead, then this major flaw would have been pointed out a long long time ago; surely lots of people, and I do mean lots, have tested this car, including the industry critics, and no such issue popped up.

I've personally driven both the Genesis V6 and V8, and in various different trims - no such issue in any of the cars tested. The suspension and handling were both more than adequate for the segment where it belongs (luxury mid-to-large sedan).

By the way, Genesis > Lincoln Taurus > Lincoln Fusion (cough cough MKS/MKZ ;) ) any day of the week, twice on Sunday :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    People, it is a head restraint, not a head rest, and its purpose is to prevent whiplash in the event of an accident that might cause same. "Resting" one's head on it while driving is neither what it is designed for nor a very good idea...

On another note, let's not go into the name-calling territory, please. Your cooperation is much appreciated!
    Good to see you over here sandy, I enjoy reading your observations over at the Genesis Oweners forum.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Pat, what you say is true, and "headrest" is a misnomer.

In fairness, though, it should be noted that some others have complained the head restraint on the MKS sticks out too far forward and intrudes on some drivers' heads in normal (non-gangsta-lean) use.

Which I wouldn't find restful at all. :blush:
  • sandy25sandy25 Member Posts: 65
    "Good to see you over here sandy, I enjoy reading your observations over at the Genesis Oweners forum."

Thanks, Koury. I must go where ever my work calls. :)
  • genesis57genesis57 Member Posts: 21
    It tells me that there are a couple BMW or Lexus owners who are peeved at spending too much for their cars. I don't know what they're talking about regarding the ride issues. I've driven my loaded V6 on NY and CT roads for 3500 miles and it rides great. My only complaints about the car are the cheapish sun visors (not really important) and the slight hesitation accelerating from a full stop. Has anyone else experienced this? Any known solutions? Thanks.
  • genesis57genesis57 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the info Colegar. Any further information on the surge while accelerating from a full stop? I've got 3500 on my V6 and it seems to happen more when the car is warming up...but can occur at other times. If there's some known issue I'll take it to the dealer. Sometimes I just use the sport shift and eliminate the issue that way.
    Hyundai has had open throttle issues in 1st gear. My '02 Sonata had the problem and my '06 Azera had the problem. It was merely a reprogramming that needed to be done to clear up the issue. For those that don't understand...basically, no matter how little you depress the gas pedal, the throttle opens up all the way causing a surge that doesn't match the pedal effort applied. Gentle pressure on the gas pedal should equal a smooth & easy take off.
  • bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    My 06 Sonata recently had problems with a sensor failing in accelerator pedal at 35000 miles. I have never been a huge fan of drive-by-wire technology. I would almost prefer the old legacy throttle cable technology as opposed to electronic sensors.
    Did the sensor fail cause wide open throttle starts?
  • bman900bman900 Member Posts: 55
    My sensor fail actually did the opposite. It caused the engine to go into "limp power mode" - probably a safety measure. The car would not rev above 2000 rpm and was severly under powered (wouldnt go over 40 mph).
    That makes sense.
  • sgentsgent Member Posts: 3
    I just put 500 miles on my new 3.8 Genesis base and love it. rode smoother than a mercedes but let me whip through curves like a Beemer. and at half the price couldn't be happier
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    That's actually the next-gen Hyundai Tucson, if it keeps that name. It is supposedly due sometime late this year or early next year.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Looks like Hyundai plans to use Genesis cues in its other sedans. Which is a good thing. But I think the Sonata (if the renderings are anything like the real car will be) is a more unique style for its class than the Genesis is.
    Hey, that Sonata is looking good. I realize the renderings are educated guesses based on rumors, camoflaged cars, and trends within the industry and company. I hope the YF Sonata looks close to the picture. I also hope it takes cues from the Genesis interior.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    It would be nice if Hyundai would bring over a nice compact pick-up. Maybe even a diesel. If well executed they would sell like hotcakes. IMO.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I think a pickup was in Hyundai's plans, until fuel prices rose last year. But yea, Toyota needs some competition. I recently looked at every pickup on the market and had to take the lesser of the evils, a Tacoma. It wouldn't be hard for Hyundai to compete with it in price and quality, especially with a 5 or 6 CYL diesel.
    Pretty sure this particular rendering has already been discredited as a photochop of a Genesis photograph.
    The blog was quite clear it IS a "rendering" that includes the front end of a Genesis. But the overall lines of the car, the sides, the general appearance of the grill, and the roofline have been confirmed by spy photos.
  • colegarcolegar Member Posts: 80
    To genesis57 (regarding surging):

For whatever reason, I am no longer experiencing the power surge during takeoffs. However, the transmission is programmed to shift from 1st to 2nd at very low speeds anytime you make a slow, easy takeoff. I assume this is to improve fuel economy. This can sometimes cause a slight surge when it changes gears. You will notice that if you make a more spirited takeoff, everything feels as it should.

You are correct that the engine programming keeps it at higher RPM's than most other cars after startup when the engine is cold but as soon as it starts warming up, it settles back to a normal idling speed.

I am now at 19,000 miles on the odometer. I will post another round of my impressions (mostly good) when it reaches 20,000 miles.
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    I have the same quick shifting in my Entourage, but my main question for you on your next impression post is. I've been wondering how a rear wheel drive vehicle with traction & stability does in snow covered roads? That is if your from a snow belt region. Or anybody that has driven the Genesis in the snow.
    I've seen the spy photos. This simply isn't one of them.

Better to post a link to those.
    Actually I was able to get to the spy photos through links on the blog page, which was posted earlier.

But feel free to post the links to the spy photos for us--thanks!
    I assume this is to improve fuel economy.

I think you're right. There must be many compromises to get excellent mileage and low emissions from a car that big. I think you can cheat it when new by staying on the gas a little harder to keep it from shifting. The transmission should "learn" the higher shift point and stay put for at least a good while. Don't know if 19K is too late to re establish the shift points, but you can always re-set it. :)
  • colegarcolegar Member Posts: 80
    I'm have not driven the Genesis on snow but I have driven other rear-wheel drive cars (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes) on both snow and ice. On snow, if you are an experienced slick-road driver, you can manage to get around fairly well on all except steep hills. On ice, leave it parked in the garage!

Most traction control systems have a computer brain that modulates the ABS brake system and throttle response to in effect apply braking to the wheel that has lost traction. Most cars have an open differential rather than a locking differential and therefore transfer the tourqe to the opposite wheel when the traction system applies braking to one wheel. It certainly achieves better results than not having a traction control system but it does not come close to having all-wheel drive (or even front-wheel drive). Also, you will feel and hear "chattering" as the traction system modulates the ABS braking back and forth between the two drive wheels as each of them lose traction intermiently.

Before I go any further and get over in over my head, I will quit trying to act like an engineer!
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Interesting that there are always NEW people complaining about Genesis or Azera suspension/ride, but the same few people always respond and attack them. Regardless, Consumer Reports did pick the Genesis as number one in its class, but commented negatively three times about the ride in its review. Also, in their April issue, they stated one of the negatives of Hyundai cars is the suspension.
    Furthermore, please see http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2009-hyundai-genesis-1.htm, particularly the ratings chart and the comments from professional reviewers.
    Do you come back every month or so just to start bitchin' about the same thing over and over again? It gets old after a while...
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    Thanks! Enough said.
    I couldn't agree more with joe97. Did this comment really need to be posted in virtually identical form on two different forums today?