Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Extended Warranties

Comments

• grandzugrandzu Member Posts: 26
    My understanding is that the full reimbursement is a sales ploy for the dealer's own warranty and is not a feature of Acura Care. AFAIK, once you buy Acura Care, there is no refund whether you ever use it or not.
  • jyao888jyao888 Member Posts: 32
    Thanks much. I did verify from Acura Care and got the same answer.
    It's dealer's sale marketing tool. It's also some kind of dealer incentive. But I am wondering whoever could get the money back is really rare and looks like a long process. Need Acura to issue comformation of non claim letter which sounds Acura Care didn't deal with that before. I will try to cancel service contract from dealer.
  • bronica30dbronica30d Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 MDX is out of manufacture's warranty due to 52,000 miles and I need an extended warranty that will give excellent coverage. I just bought the vehicle on 8/21/09. Does anyone know of a reputable company with good rates. Help!
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    You may be out of luck...
    I tried entering your info at the Bernardi warranty website and the car has too many miles. There are other companies though...
    Does anyone know Honda had notice all dealer to terminate their online warranty sale by November 1, 2009? If I purchase from them now, any problems may occured?
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    Bernardi is shut down as of 11/1/09, as I tried. Print out the selected warranty information you want from their web site for your particular vehicle. Take it to the Honda dealer(s) and deal with them on the price before 11/1/09. If they will not be somewhat competitive, go to Bernardi. I just did so with two Acura Dealers, who almost doubled the cost initially.

Apparently, when dealerships in general cannot sell vehicles or make enough profit on the selling vehicles, they stoop to the lowest possible level to get into one's wallet. Acura, Honda, makes no difference. Even when you have a long term servicing relationship with them.
    Call several Acura dealers, they can sell you the Acura Care warranty if they want. However, the price may be prohibitive. They have to make a buck off you even if you will use their service facility down the road.
    Thanks for suggestion. I did purchase extended warranty from my dealer when I buy my MDX. I cancel it when I found from this site mentioned Bernardi. It is the best price and almost $800 cheaper than my dealer. I just found out Hohda requested customer to pay additional $135 for whom chaneled warranty before from Bernardi website. But Bernadi mentione don't worry because their price is still much better after this additional fee. Anyone know if this fee is true? I did call Acura before, they didn't mention it if I purchase again after I cancel it.
  • politico1politico1 Member Posts: 8
    Could someone help me with extended warranty. What's the best price I can expect for an 8yr/120,000 mi. extended warranty from an Acura dealer?
  • grandzugrandzu Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2010
    It depends on the year of your car and mileage.
    Check here. Bernardi has the best price.
    http://www.bernardiservicecontracts.com/Departments/Acura.aspx
  • politico1politico1 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2010
    I have 2010 AcuraMDX Tech/Ent and dealer was quoting over $2k. thoughts?
  • pkewlpkewl Member Posts: 10
    I am currently shopping for a 2010 MDX Tech and have a quick question about Curry Acura Care/Bernardi Extended warranty...

1st Question: Is it okay (legal/permissible/usable) to buy these warranties? In recent days, I have been doing quite a bit of reading about extended warranties and have not found a 'clear' consensus one way or the other about these online/phone warranties... and now I am little more worried since one of the Sales/Finance guy (I m not sure which department he really worked in) at a local Acura dealership mentioned to me that there is some kind of pending litigation/lawsuit between some two parties.. not sure if he meant between Acura and Curry or whoever.. unless he was trying to scare me into buying warranty from them... but I dint ended up buying MDX that evening so warranty was out of question that day.. :)

If I have a choice to buy either, which one should I pick?
    So far I have gotten extended warranty quotes from Curry Acura Care AND Bernardi and wanted to check if current MDX owners recommend buying one over the other or if one has better reviews than the other. In light of what I was told at a local dealership, I am especially interesed in this answer..

In terms of price comparison, for a 7 yr/100k extended, Curry Acura Care is about $125 ($1810) MORE than same Bernardi waranty ($1685).

Again, I wanted to check if we can indeed buy either of these warranty and if I should go with one over the other?

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments?
  • vik209vik209 Member Posts: 1
    Pkewl - I'm having the same decision right now. Any advice on what you decided?

I'm leaning towards the Acuracare no-deductible policy as it appears markedly better than the fidelity warranty services contract I initially received at the dealership.

The best quote I've gotten thus far is 1685 - not sure if you saw anything better out there?

Thx mate!
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Just got this from my HR dept:

Save Cash by Avoiding Auto-Repair Service Plans
    (Increase your financial IQ – think green)

Did you know that according to Consumer Reports Magazine, extended auto warranties usually don’t make financial cents? Consumer Reports notes that a five year old vehicle today had one third fewer problems than a five year old vehicle in 2005. The bottom line – cars are becoming increasingly more reliable and serious (more expensive) problems, such as engine or transmission repairs, are actually quite rare.

Many service plans are sold by marketing companies that don’t provide the coverage themselves. Plans can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and have various coverage options. They all sound good until you file a claim. Most contracts include a lot of fine print that can usually be used to deny your request for payment. According to the Federal Trade Commission, auto-service contract fraud was the number one complaint in 2009! That just about says it all.

Whether a service plan is offered by a broker, car dealer or manufacturer, the experts recommend that you skip it. You’re better off redirecting that money into your TSP account!
    Purchased the Acura Extended Care for 3yr/36,000 for $1,300.00 after shopping the price at three different Acura Dealerships and walking out on the last one who wanted $1,600.00 finally agreed on $1,300.00, plus state sales tax when I lost that argument. One dealer wanted $2,300.00.

I have had service work done by all three in the past 7 years on my Acura's and purchased two new Acura's from them.

I am as concerned about the electronics as with the drive train. Amortized over three years, its a $435.00 per year insurance policy on big ticket repair items.
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    My 2007 MDX has 49k miles and is about to go out of warranty.

We haven't had any major issues with our car, but have had a handful of small trim issues - all were fixed to out satisfaction by the dealer - except the fact that the leather seems to be wearing too fast....

i'm curious what it would cost to buy an extended warranty through Acura. If it's not terribly expensive, it might be a nice thing to have, but if it's going to be $2000+ to get it covered for the next 50k miles, I would probably be; better off to just save the money and pay for fixes as I go...

i'm going to contact my local dealer and get a quote, but I thought I'd post here - a great source of info - and see what others are paying , so I get a good idea as to what the actual / lowest / competitive price is...

thanks.
  • singlasingla Member Posts: 2
    I got following quotes for extended warranty 60months/60000miles [starting now] on MDX (2007 MDX /w sport+entertainment, currently has 32K miles)

bernardi $1975 (0 deductible)
    acura $2175 (0 deductible)
    costco $2166 ($100 deductible) - offered through century warranty services

Do you any opinion of relative comparison of the coverage / quality of the warranty offered above?
  • jersey504jersey504 Member Posts: 2
    I am in the process of purchasing a 07 or 08 MDX from a Acura dealer in North Jersey and wanted to get some prices for extended warranties.
    Both vehicles have less than 50k on them and I was looking to extend the bumber to bumber warranty to 150K if possible. Any info on purchasing Acura's extended warranty vs. a warranty from a third party would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)
  • mdx_lovermdx_lover Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased 2008 Acura MDX with 29.5K miles on it. I bought 7 years/ 100K miles warranty from original first date of purchase for this vehicle. That leaves me with 4 years and 70K miles. I paid $1000 for this.

I happen to see their price sheet and it has following three options and dealer cost.

7 years/ 100K for $600
    8 yeras/ 100K for $1650
    8 years/ 120K for $2100
  • brhinobrhino Member Posts: 2
    I am just planning to get an MDX 2008 with 33K Miles on it. Was wondering about this extended warranty. The dealer is quoting $930 for 7y/100k. So if I take this the MDX will have B-B warranty till 2015 right? If that is the case, where does the CPO warranty of 1 year/12K miles go? Can you please explain me this.
  • brhinobrhino Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum and this is my second post.As I have said in my previous post, I am planning to buy an MDX, 2008. The car fax report is clean, says its was owned by CORPORATE. The AutoCheck says that is was owned by
    Rental/Fleet or/both lease. The dealer says, it was used by a doctore, who bought in his company name and many does that. Do I need to be concerned about anything here. Please help.
  • mdx_lovermdx_lover Member Posts: 5
    CPO Extended warranty will be superseeded by 7Y/100K warranty. So you will not be using that. You can not combine these. They will ask you to sign that all claims will be thru AcuraCare using 7Year/100K warranty.
    Sounds plausible. However, if you want to be sure have them give you the name of the S.C. (the Dr's service corp) or his name and you can check further.
  • gchaogchao Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Guys, need some on Acura Care extended warranty. Last month I bought a 08 base MDX with 4Yr/48K Acura Care. Dealer charged $2350 for it with $100 deductible. After reading on the forums, it seems like a ripoff. My question is since it is less than 60 days can I cancel it and buy it again from other dealer? Thanks in advance!
  • mattmommattmom Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a new 2011 MDX last Friday. I was quoted a price of $2280 for an 8yr/120k miles from Curry Acura. It's lower than what the dealers are quoting, but is it the best price that I can get for the Acura Care extended warranty?
  • jessie12jessie12 Member Posts: 6
    Guys...i am new here...I have a 2007 MDX and am looking to get extended warranty. one of the dealer's is selling a 5/120k warranty for 2390 ( 0 deductible). He claims that the 5 years start on the date of purchase of the warranty but the miles are cumulative miles. has any one had similar experience.

Thanks
    Guys...i am new here...I have a 2007 MDX and am looking to get extended warranty; have 45000 miles on it. One of the dealer's is selling a 5/120k warranty for 2390 ( 0 deductible). He claims that the 5 years start on the date of purchase of the warranty (hence would go to 2016) but the miles are cumulative miles, i.e. once you hit 120K warranty ends. My fear is that the warranty my be valid for 5 years from the date of purchase of the car; hence, I would have only 2 more years from 2011 since I bought it in 2008.

Can anyone shed light on this.

Thanks
    OK now I have a quote of $2080 for the 40 deductible, 8 year/120K miles new Acura Care warranty. Does anyone know if Plan Code D82 matches that? I've looked around and sometimes, it looks like that is the code for the $100 deductible plan.
    The price seems very good. which dealer did you get it from?
    Norris Acura in Maryland.
  • rastrosrastros Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2002 Certified MDX, bought in 2006. Was sold a 7yr/100,000 mi extended warranty from Honda. The fee also included 3yr bumper to bumper coverage. Today, car has 86,000 mi and I have owned 5 yrs., and transmission has failed. I assumed coverage was there. But----despite contract saying in BOLD at top---7yrs/100,000, the fine print at bottom implies that for certified cars, coverage is retroactive to in-service date. That was not made clear at sale time. In other words contract seems "split"---with bumper to bumper good from date of car sale (2006), but powertrain good from car in-service date (2002). In addition contract indicates in fine print that a "pre-owned" Honda has coverage from date of sale, while certified is from in-service. Since my car is both pre-owned and certified, do I have a case? Both Honda and local dealer say No. Any thoughts? I feel deceived. Thanks.
  • midwestuser1midwestuser1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2009 MDX with Tech package in November of 2009. I bought the 6 yr. 120K extended warranty and it cost $1,650 from Acura of Brookfield in Brookfield, WI. Just an FYI to all.
  • mdxforlifemdxforlife Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the exact same position as you, 07 MDX 45000 miles and my orig warranty expires 09/28 so I have 8 days to get a good price on an extended warranty. What warranty did you end up buying and how much did you pay?
    Suggestions from others on a good price is most appreciated.
    I'm looking to extend for 5 yrs 100K (I realize that leaves me 55K miles of warranty or 5 yrs whichever comes first). I prefer fewer miles longer duration to more miles for a shorter duration as I don't plan on going above 100K in the next 5 yrs.

Thanks!
  • yazyazooyazyazoo Member Posts: 20
    Can these now be bought in California? Curryacuracare gave me a quote but I just want to make sure that it would be valid in California if something were to go wrong?
  • mdxforlifemdxforlife Member Posts: 2
    If it's Acura Care it should be honored in every Acura authorized dealership, as k for a sample contract or ask curry directly. b.t.w what model and year is your car and how many miles do you have on it, what quote did you get?
  • yazyazooyazyazoo Member Posts: 20
    I am in the market for a MDX used. I just want to make sure that Acuracare bought out of state would be valid in California. I read that California and Florida may have restrictions in that the warranty has to be bought from the dealer thats sold you the car.
  • stingysuvwantdstingysuvwantd Member Posts: 5
    midwestuser1 That price is cheaper than any I can find elsewhere for Acura Care. Was your warranty issued by Acura Care or a 3rd party warranty company?
    I have shopped around and can get an Acura Care 8 year 120,000 mile extended warranty from American Honda Finance Corp. on brand new 2012 MDX with Tech package for $2080. Since we drive about 15k miles per year, the original warranty will expire in 3.3 years, so this is extended warranty will cover us for approximately 70k miles and about 4.7 years.

Are expensive repairs on MDX common? Does the sophisticated tech package justify buying extended coverage? Should I be concerned about the electric motors for seats, power liftgate, sunroof etc - all of these whiz bang features include lots of moving parts.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences trying to get Acura to cover repairs under their Acura Care extended warranty?
  • thecornpopperthecornpopper Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an AcuraCare 7yr/100k warranty for $1710 on my new 2012 Advance/Ent
    That pricing is consistent with other quotes for that term/mileage, plus or minus $100. The question I am trying to determine is if we are buying what is supposedly a reliable car, is it even necessary to also buy an extended warranty?

I kind of doubt the engine or drive train will have many big issues, but do the fancy electronics make it more necessary to get a warranty?

And does anyone have any good or bad experiences at trying to make a claim? Warranty only adds value if Acura stands behind their product. Many 3rd party warranties seem like a scam as there are a lot of loopholes the insurer uses to deny claims. Hopefully Honda Finance is more reputable at paying claims, but surely someone on this board has experience dealing with them and can add some insight.
  • mdxer7mdxer7 Member Posts: 8
    I called both Acura & Honda neither sell the Acura Care Warranty. They must be bought through a dealer. I found a few dealers on-line that will send you a quote. One was Curry (Acura confirmed they were a valid dealer) another was from Florida... Curry's quote was the best so far even beating my local dealer where I'm buying my new 2012 MDX.

I keep my vehicles a long time - my present is an 2001 MDX w/219K miles on the original engine which is still running strong. I did have the 7/100 warranty and surpassed it long ago. I recall at least three repairs that my warranty covered the last just over 100K (dealer honored my warranty because I had had all the preventive Maint done there) and it was for a new transmission (2001 - 06's had major tranny issues). My first warranty cost me $1600 in 2001 and was well worth it.

Now back to the present. Quotes I've received for the 8/120 have ranged from $2580, $2510, and $2280 from Curry. I will probably end up buying online from Curry unless my dealer has a change of heart. Acura's are wonderfully reliable...however, that being said, one major repair and you come out ahead. For me - I keep my cars long and it has been worth it (actually for two Acuras) in the past.

Good luck!
    My 2005 MDX extended care warranty will expire in 3000 miles. Based on your long term experience, what item(s) in addition to the transmission, would you recommend I have the local dealer check prior to expiration. I have had all the required maintenance since buying the vehicle. I want my "ducks lined up" in case I have some costly issue after the expiration.
  • solaris72solaris72 Member Posts: 15
    I bought a new MDX 2012 yesterday and my dealer offered me an extended Warranty 8 year/100 miles from costguard for 1900$ (Full coverage)
    Is this warranty good? Is the price is reasonable? Do i have any other option, since this is my first Acura vehicle?
  • bandit_mdxbandit_mdx Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2012 MDX Base model from a local dealer at Springfield, NJ. They offered us Total Protection Plus package from Auto Knight for $990/-. Did anyone buy this package before? If yes, how was your experience with it? I got a quote for Acura Care for 6yrs/70k miles for $1,035/- for $0 deductible. I'm trying to decide whether I should by Acura care program or Total Protection Plus or both.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
  • boogaloo22boogaloo22 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I'm new to the forums and had a few questions I was hoping to get answered. I purchased a 2012 MDX in Texas about three months ago and bought the extended warranty from the dealer, a 7yr/100k for ~$2600, along with dent coverage for $800 and resistall protection $870. After getting a good deal on the MDX (over 5k below MSRP) these additional purchases seemed to make sense but I'm having buyer's remorse now. Also after seeing some of the prices others have posted for warranties I'm sure I over paid.

I'm wondering if any one has any experience with the resistall pricing and the dent coverage as well. Looking back I think I overpaid on these as well, although at the time of purchase I was assured by the financing department that I was getting these packages for about $50 above cost. Is the warranty price too high and should I/can I return it? Any limitations on the resitall or dent coverage that any one has had experience with? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2013
    A lot of that stuff is non-refundable for a reason.

atoms2me, "To ResistAll or Not To..." #15, 13 Jan 2013 1:14 pm

You may be able to cancel the extended warranty, but if you decide you want another one, you likely won't be able to buy the Acura one again.

I'd let the dealer know how you feel (and maybe hint that you're learning your way around social media). They may do something for you. If not, go find Facebook, Twitter and the dealer review sites (like ours) and let others know about your experience.
  • buddyzippybuddyzippy Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a 2011 MDX with Navi at the end of May 2011. Now, not quite 2 years later, I have racked up 49,300 miles. I anticipate continuing to drive about 25,000miles/yr for the next 2 years. After 2 years, the amount of driving should decrease to 15,000miles/ yr. I would like to keep the car for at least 2-4 more years. I live in FL and the Acura dealership quoted a 3yr/100,000 mi warranty for $2,820 and a 4yr/120,000 warranty for $4,720 (both figures don't include tax.). Given that I will reach 100,000 miles in 2 more years, the warranties seem expensive. I have previously leased MDXs (2001, 2004, 2008) but have returned them at the end of 3 or 4 years, so have no experience with the need for expensive repairs on MDXs once they have in excess of 50,000 miles. Would greatly appreciate prompt feedback on whether or not to purchase the extended warranty, and whether price is reasonable!!! Thanks.
  • ketiketi Member Posts: 1
    Hi, we just purchased our first acura ever, an MDX 2013 advance for $45.5k. The sales person was pushing heavily the extended acura care warranty but we declined. Fist he said it cost $3,999 for 4 more years (thus 8 yrs total) and another 50k miles (so total 100k miles). Price went down to $3,100 when we said we are costco members and then again down to $2,400 when we kept declining. We declined but now i am wondering whether it makes sense to have it given all the buttons and computers in the car... I would appreciate any thoughts folks here may have. Thanks!
  • mdxer7mdxer7 Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 2012 MDX last March and purchased the 8 yr/100K in the Northern VA area and paid $2380 for the extended warranty. I purchased one on my 2001 MDX and used it (over 240K miles when it died in 2012). I plan on keeping this one just as long and wont be driving as much (retiring in 2015). You can shop around the various Acura dealers for the warranty just make sure you're comparing apples w/apples. They will usually match if you can show them another dealers quote (email will due).
  • csriram45csriram45 Member Posts: 56
    I was at 5927 miles so was shopping to get the care... I just bought it from curry acura. Dale was great and straightforward and the entire process took less then 10 minutes....