Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Electrical Problems

arbararbar Member Posts: 2
Locks, internal lights and DVD player ?!?

I hope this isn't duplicative....3 issues/questions as mentioned above. I have 2007 EX-L with DVD with less than 5K miles.

Every once in a while, the auto lock feature seems to kick in (after the locks have already been auto locked). It does seem like it occurs on acceleration after a stop so it could be the ABS test that I have read about here. How often (monthly or weekly) is the ABS supposed to test itself and how long is it supposed to last (an entire local trip...20 mins)? This has happened 3-4 times so far.

Next, the indoor dome lights turn on and off while driving when they are set in the middle function (to turn on when the car is opened and then off after a bit). It seems like this happens in connection with the ABS but am not quite sure. This too has happened 3-4 times. Any thoughts?

Lastly, anyone's DVD make noises when a dvd is in the player but is not being played and has not been used for a few days?

Thanks
ray

Comments

• rsmiedemarsmiedema Member Posts: 8
    Hey everyone! I have a quick question to see if any one else has had this issue. I have a '04 model and one day about four months ago, the vent windows stopped working. When I push the buttons, I can here the motor receive the signal, but nothing happens. When I had the A/C fixed, a separate issue, I had my mechanic check it out. He stated that the motors were burned out. That makes me think that there is another issue like a short or something to burn both out. Has anyone else had this issue? When I talked to my service rep on the phone here in Alabama, he stated it was the first time he had heard of it. Thanks for any feedback.
  • rolojroloj Member Posts: 12
    My friend, TAKE IT BACK to the dealer and have them fix that problem. Do not leave dealer without them fixing. I live in NY and had the same auto locking problem. Dealer DID NOT give me any hassle...they just change alarm system/box and problem was solved.
  • eric88152eric88152 Member Posts: 1
    I think this is aknown issues from Honda Van.
    Myself have a 2003 Honda van, the left vent windows without use for more than a year but stopped working!, I did bring it back to dealer for replacing the motor, after I own my van over 3 years the the right vent windows stopped working! I bring it back to dealer and they said it will cost me $380 for repair !.
    I have 3 different friend has the same issue.
  • miscusibellamiscusibella Member Posts: 2
    I have less than 150 miles on my new 07 Honda Odyssey EX-L and the driver's side power window won't go back up. All the other windows work fine. Anyone else have this problem?
  • bmattox79bmattox79 Member Posts: 1
    my 2004 odyssey driver side power door lock doesnt work,, at first it was intermittent and would work when it wanted now it wont work at all. i've disconnected the battery a few times and it would work for a while but the automatic window wouldnt work..as soon as the window started to work the lock wouldnt... any ideas
  • odc2k1odc2k1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Odyssey. Recently the passenger side door lock would not engage using powerlock. Every time I have to manually lock and unlock the door. Has anyone faced similar issue and how did you fix it? My mechanic advises that the lock actuator has to be replaced and estimates about $135. Is there an alternative fix to this?
  • gotoyotagotoyota Member Posts: 280
    Is it the front passenger door or the sliding door? I have an '04 (for sale - anyone want to buy??) with the same problem on the passenger side power slider. Only seems to happen when it's really hot though, say over 90 degrees F. It's just one of the many minor electrical problems that rear up whenever the weather turns hot. Rear wing windows, steering wheel radio controls also affected. I've never had it fixed though because we replaced it with a Sienna in August and the Ody has been sitting in the driveway... out of sight, out of mind.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    My 2007 Ody rear wiper sometimes turns on by itself. It was triggered by I put the lever down one click for intermit front wiper.
    Everthing goes fine again after I turned the rear wiper knob back/forth a couple times. Seems to me the wiper switch has sort of short circuit inside.
  • blueberrymomblueberrymom Member Posts: 2
    I'm having a problem that is driving me crazy. I use the remote to unlock then open a sliding door. I put my child in his seat in the 2nd row and while I'm doing this the doors click/lock back up. So now I have to remember to open the driver's door first even though I'm not getting in yet. I'm afraid of a potential lock out with the kids in the car. I wonder why this is happening-- and if others have had this same problem. Oh it is a 2002. Thanks.
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    That sounds like a problem where it's not recognizing that a door has been opened within 30 seconds. If you had that sliding door opened and then started the car, does the dashboard light indicate that the door is open? If not, then it seems like the switch that signals that the door is open is not working properly. In any case I would have it serviced. I've owned an Odyssey since 2001 with young kids and never had anything like that happen, and I am sure that we've done exactly what you describe.
  • sirbuckbighornsirbuckbighorn Member Posts: 2
    2000 Odyssey: It appears that the ECM/PCM (it is either an engine or emmissions control module/powertrain control module, all in one) goes bad due to moisture and road salt/chemicals. This leads to shorts which cause emmission control solenoids to short out. I have finally gotten the dealer to admit the module is bad, but only after two solenoids and a catalytic converter. Has anyone else these problems? There is a tech bulletin staiting that Honda might replace the module for free at their good will. The module costs $850.00 plus labor. Any history out there? By the way, a ctalytic converter is $850.00, installed.
  • blueberrymomblueberrymom Member Posts: 2
    Hi, thanks for your response. Right, the sliding doors opening is not being recognized. But if I leave the sliding doors open then turn on the car there is a warning beep. Yes there are dashboard indicator lights on telling me doors are open. I hope it's not an expensive repair. I would just hate for my 3 yr old to be strapped in his car seat and then get locked in. Horror!
    Does it happen when you put it into reverse? If so, that's working as designed.
    Thanks. I am not sure whether it happened only in Reverse. I will pay attention to it next time.
    You can try it out by having the wipers on, then shifting to Reverse. The rear wiper should come on. Shift back to Drive and the rear wiper will turn off. The theory is that if it's raining and you need to back up, you might need to have the rear window cleared off while you're backing up. Good engineering!
  • meapacmeapac Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have some concerns regarding the accuracy of the odometer reading on my 2007 Odyssey. Is there anyway to check to see if the odometer is working correctly? Also, should i take it to the Honda dealership or have it checked by a dealership other than Honda? Please advise. Thank you
  • michaelokmichaelok Member Posts: 6
    I follow a very simple method - but requires you find a stretch of road with mile markers, preferably down to two tenths of a mile. Obviously the accuracy varies, so take a few measurements. You could get a more exact setting, by measuring out some distance, and doing the same thing of course.

Take it in to the dealer - why not? Surely this is something they are capable of? I do think it's a good idea, if you know a local place, to maintain a relationship with them - if they are good - because Honda, like any company, is mostly interested in selling you a new car. I haven't been wildly impressed with my dealership, but of course your mileage may vary.
  • meapacmeapac Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the advice
    The theory is that if it's raining and you need to back up, you might need to have the rear window cleared off while you're backing up. Good engineering!

Uh, sounds cool in theory... but where I live it's dry probably at least 90% of the time. Are you sure it's supposed to do that?
    I tried it. When it is raining, I turned the front wiper on. Notice the rear wiper didn't do anything. As soon as I put in Reverse the rear wiper started swiping without I click it on. It stopped as soon as I switched to other gear.
    That sounds weird. Mine has a seperate switch on the stalk for the rear wiper. I would be annoyed if the wiper switched on every time I reversed :confuse: What if it's 100 degrees outside? It sounds like it would just wear out the wipers.
    It's only active if you've turned the front wipers on. Presumably if it is 100 degrees and dry, you would not have the front wipers on. And of course, there is also a separate control so should you choose to turn the rear wiper on, you can do that as well. It's just for convenience.
    Thanks, that makes more sense. I thought it was just turning on every time reverse was engaged, so I was like what the !?@#?? That is a smart touch.
  • poocatpoocat Member Posts: 35
    1. My daughter noticed the other day while sitting in the 3rd row, that the cup holders on the passenser side were felt warm. I checked and sure enough the were actually fairly warm. Has anybody else noticed the same thing in their van?

2. When you turn the engine off I find that it is strange that the van has retained power to the power windows and moonroff but no retained power to the radio. Even my dad's 00' Windstar has it.

3. Auto-off headlights and no auto-on, how cheap can they get.

4. Rattle from the passenger side middle row is driving me nuts. Can't figure out what it is and I checked everything.

5. Had the Auto Day/Night Mirrow w/Compass installed when we bought the van. The drivers side plastic moulding for the side air bag was taken off and not installed correctly. There was a large gap between the dash and the moulding. The passenger side plastic piece under the door was taken off also and they broke 2 of the plastic pins holding it on. The plastic piece was sticking up on one end. Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it right away. They should have put it back together right in the first place. Not sure how it made it past their pre-delivery check.

6. The outside temperature guage got stuck at 24C one day and it was 31C outside. I drove for over 4.5 hours and it didn't change. Parked it in the garage overnight and the next day it was fine. Strange, haven't had a problem with it since. Normal temp changes to outside temperature after a few minutes of driving.

7. Helicopter buffetting noise effect from one of the middle windows opened slightly is unbearable at 30-60 km/hr. Kind of useless to have them if you can't use them. I would rather have the rear quarter pivoting vent window like the old model.

8. Daytime running lamp light in the dash is blue but is so dim you can barely see it.

9. When passenger side window is lowered about 1-2 inches I get a constant rattling sound from the door or glass. Has anybody else noticed this?

Bottom line, still a good quality van but wish there weren't so many little problem with it.
  • AMcDanAMcDan Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 Odyssey with ~50k miles. Three days ago, I found it with a dead battery. My guess was my son left a light on or something like that. Had the battery and alternator checked out at AutoZone and they indicated both were good.

However, now when I shut off the van and open the driver's side front door (keys out of ignition) I get a series of 5, somewhat high pitched beeps. It doesn't happen until I open the driver's side door. And this all started after I jump-started the van that one morning. It had never happened before.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Bottom line, still a good quality van but wish there weren't so many little problem with it.

Yes, it is a nice van, but minor niggles abound. If you can live with them and ignore the little things like rattles, minor electrical, etc., it's a great driver with nice looks. If you can't or don't want to, like me, the Sienna IMO is more satisfying to live with and seems more thoughfully engineered, but lacks some of the fun factor of the Ody. To me, your Ody sounds pretty normal. We had some ill fitting panels in ours, too. Rattles, yes - not like a GM, but always there in the background, and especially when you roll windows down or turn up the radio. I am surprised the new ones don't have auto on headlights though (mine is an '04). Minor electrical issues have always been around with ours too.
  • arbararbar Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have an 07 that likes to honk its horn when doors close? Sometimes the keys are not in and sometimes they are (but engine is off).

Thanks.
  • joeiajoeia Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Honda Odyssey and we have had problems with the sliding door since 40,000 miles. The door fails to lock/shut all the way. It appears to close and lock but the door keeps beeping. Also sometimes it will close all the way but doesn't lock and you have to open and close the door again. We have taken this in on three seperate occasions and it never does it for them. This is a real pain in the "you know what" and Honda wants to charge an arm and a leg just to test it. We are still under warrenty, luckly got the extended warrenty but sill no fix yet. I'm considering buying a Toyota next time.
    I own a 2003 Honda Odyssey and we have had problems with the sliding door since 40,000 miles. The door fails to lock/shut all the way. It appears to close and lock but the door keeps beeping. Also sometimes it will close all the way but doesn't lock and you have to open and close the door again. We have taken this in on three seperate occasions and it never does it for them. This is a real pain in the "you know what" and Honda wants to charge an arm and a leg just to test it. We are still under warrenty, luckly got the extended warrenty but sill no fix yet. I'm considering buying a Toyota next time.

This happened a few times on our '04 as well. It's best to simply drive to the dealer next time it happens, while the door is still partially closed. Unfortunately this means you have to listen to the annoying buzzer the entire time, but there will be no question when you get to the dealer. With ours the dealer had to adjust the cable. Good luck.
  • flutemomflutemom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Odyssey and we noticed that several of the lights are out on the dash. The last 4-5 times we've had it to the dealer they've seemed reluctant to fix them telling us, "it needed to be dark so they could see which ones need fixed," "they need to take the whole dash apart in order to replace the bulbs." Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix them easily?

Thanks, I've learned much from your many posts!
  • ajiangajiang Member Posts: 2
    Just bought 07 Exl-res, but experiencing problems with the sliding door on the drive side, it is working erratic...when we try to close the door, it beeps before latching and opens again...we have to keep trying till it closes...Took it to dealer once but the problem went away at the dealship, we were tolden by the tech there that the rubber gets stiff when the temperature is low. Since then, we encountered the problem constantly, and it is really a pain and limited us to one door access. Never expected such a problem for the 07 model, going to take the care back to the dealer tomorrow, wondering if anyone else had the same problem... :confuse:
  • thebingsthebings Member Posts: 10
    I have an inverter connected to the front acc plug for my computer. My wife plugged in a heating pad and lost power but only to the right hand plug. The left hand plug still has power. I can find only one fuse for the front acc plug and it is good. Is there another fuse for the right hand plug. If not, how do I remove the center panel to check the wiring?
  • warriorcoachwarriorcoach Member Posts: 17
    06 Ody. that has a tag light issue. They do not come on sometimes and I have to "pluck" or tap on the clear plastic to get htem to come on. Poped the light out and it is not corroded and look in good shape. Anyone had this issue? Any suggestions? Dealing with trailers before, I would think it was a grounding issue, but I really don't think that would be the problem on an ODY.
  • ihardingiharding Member Posts: 1
    I have a really annoying problem with my 2002 Odyssey. It has been doing this on and off for over a year - the alarm just goes off whenever it feels like it. At first it was so rare that it wasn't a major problem, but now it's every time I leave the car! And I'm not even setting the alarm any more - but still it goes off. And if I'm not close by I come back to a flat battery too (the horn sounding and the lights flashing drain it pretty fast).

Last night I took out the fuse for the automatic door locks, thinking that if the doors couldn't lock themselves then the alarm wouldn't set itself - that worked - but it meant that the car was unlocked all night.

The price that Honda quoted me to 'try to find' the fault was ridiculous.

I bought my '02 Odyssey new in 2001 with the intention of keeping it for ten years. This problem is only one of many that I've had with this truly awful car. I will be getting rid of it sometime this year and I will never buy another Honda.

If anyone has any ideas about how I can disable the alarm but still be able to lock the car I would be very grateful (as would my neighbors).
  • carguy74carguy74 Member Posts: 18
    try getting your battery chkd and make sure you have good connections. a low battery will cause your alarm to go off. have seen this before.
  • ss777ss777 Member Posts: 8
    In my 2007 EXL, the AC compressor turns on when I turn the heater on eiter in auto or manual mode. The heater mode is floor or vent and NOT defroster. I realize it is normal for the AC to turn on with the defroster but this shouldn't be the case in defrost mode, at least according the manual.

Has anyone else experience this and is it normal?
  • koh45koh45 Member Posts: 1
    I'm with you on never buying another Honda. I bought my 2002 Odyssey in January 2003, so I bought it used with 26,000 miles on it. At 43,000 miles had the transmission replaced. Free of charge, dealer did it. I did not buy an extended warrany because I thought it was Honda. After transmission went I did buy an extended warranty. Way too many problems with the Odysseys from reading others reviews.
  • skernskern Member Posts: 3
    I cannot find a spot to pass 2 wires from the battery to the passenger side inside(dc-ac converter).
    Seems there are no knockouts like the 2004 had
    Has anyone found a way to do this without drilling a hole
  • depireuxdepireux Member Posts: 1
    My wife or I often leave the interior lights on after parking, in our '04 Odyssey, only to find the battery dead a few hours later when we return. Is there an aftermarket system that somehow would turn the power from the battery off if it goes below a certain level (that could be manually reset once the offending power drain is found)?

Obviously, we should turn the lights off, but you get to the parking, turn the lights on to look for something that slipped under the seat (anybody with 3 kids knows what I am talking about), collect all your junk and before you know it, you have totally forgotten about the lights.
  • cgs878cgs878 Member Posts: 1
    Hello CarSpace forums people,

On my 2001 Honda Odyssey EX, the driver's seat electric recliner does not work properly. Once reclined (towards the back seat passenger), the seat back raises up slowly and then stops. I must wait a while (a few minutes to a few hours) to get it to raise up some more. Getting it back to vertical can require extra force from behind. It is as if the power seat battery inside the seat is dead. Does this seat have a battery? Can this be possible for it to die? If so, can this be fixed/replaced easily by a lay-person (non-shop techie)? Please let me know. Thanks!

- Chris S.
  • jangardjangard Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 Odyssey with what I believe is a series of electrical shorts. I haven't had it diagnosed yet, as the warranty is up and I know electrical problems cost a fortune!

It is strange how it moves about. Sometimes the interior lights won't come on, then sometimes they will flicker when one of the side doors is being opened. I have had the driver power window work when the engine is off and the keys are not in the ignition, and I've been able to pull the key from the ignition when the car is running!! There are several other instances, but this gives you a rough idea. Any ideas on what it could be?

Also, the ignition has recently started to reject the keys! I mean, you can put them in, but you can't move them. Then you turn the key around and it works fine! Any ideas on that one??
    There are batteries with reserve power. Once the battery is dead, flip a switch on the battery then start the car to recharge.
  • miyervangmiyervang Member Posts: 4
    i have own this car for only 7 months and bought this van through a small dealership that i have bought this car from PA through an action.
    i did a carfax and it came out to be no trouble at all and one owner for this car and it was for personal used only.
    i purchased it when it was 69,000 miles.

i have quesiton about my engine light being on. light show on 10-27-08 and i had reset the car and it had turn off eversent today. the light came back on and i don't know what to do.
    i took it to a local auto zone store to do a free engine check and it define it as
    Electrical load detector curcuit high input
    Probable causes
    1. open or short circuit condition
    2. failed ECM

do anyone know what it exectly what it is telling me. i don't want to waist money to go the dealership to disnosg. it and if someone could get me some answer to this question.
    if it dones't help, maybe it'll be best to take it to the dealership.

i have another question.
    when my car is put into reverse(front is facing down the hill) it seem to be reversing it, if i don't put enough gas paddle on the car. i goes down and then when i put gas on it, then it'll reverse.
    same thing when the car is going up the hill; and when i stop and then go, it'll roll down and i have to put gas on it so it won't roll down.

is that normal or is there something wrong with the van?
    is that normal or is there something wrong with the van?

It is considered to be normal by Honda though ... I used to have 2007 Odyssey (traded for 2008 Pilot) did the same thing as you described ... Since I am aware of it (car will roll backward when car is in "D" when car front facing uphill in slope & car will roll forward when car is in "R" as car front facing downhill in slope.), put into gear "D" or "R", my left foot will be stepping on the brake, then right foot gives a little puch on gas before releasing the brake.
  • miyervangmiyervang Member Posts: 4
  • sparky_00sparky_00 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2004 Odyssey, and it has started to do the same thing with me also. What did you do? or what was the problem? I changed the battery and still it has set off the alarm. And it seems to like to go off in the in the middle of the night. If you found the solution please share. thx
  • smilysmily Member Posts: 9
    I own 2007 Odyssey with 14000 miles on it. I bought it new in 12/2006. I got the battery replaced last month under warranty as it was dead one morning. Now I have another issue. Once every five times or so, especially when the engine is warm, the starter motor doesn't react when I turn the ignition key. I hear "zeeeeee" noise from the left side of the steering column but nothing happens. If I stop and try one more time, the starter motor reacts as usual and it starts the engine. Has anyone experienced the same issue? Battery is brand new and has no issues.
  • monica314monica314 Member Posts: 3
    I read your posting about your van. I have the same van and experienced similar for past couple of weeks. I have a 1999. Rough idle when starting up, then I turn off and try again and it's fine. Then one day a picture of the key flashing on the dashboard indicating didn't recognize the key and then went dead on a realatively new battery. Car repair cannot duplicate after putting in a new battery. I'm sure it'll happen again. Was thinking of taking it to Honda dealer. I know it's more exspensive but they must have heard of t his problem before.
    So my question to you is what did you find out it was? Or did you ever?
    Also when I park and take the key out it make a dull whinning sound.

Thank you
    Monica
  • hondamonkeyhondamonkey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Honda Oydessy that we bought used 6 months ago. the issue you open the rear sliding door and then get in to start it and EVERYTHING is dead (radio, clock, no sound on start up). You then reshut the door (which has power) and it then starts right up......This has happend 2x in the last 3 days. The second time she slammed the driver door and it worked. What does the doors have to do with the battery not giving power?

please help solve this mystery!
    thanks!
  • smilysmily Member Posts: 9
    Hi Monica,

I took my van to a nearby dealership but guess what! It didn't happen when the service adviser tried several times on the spot. The van worked fine without any issues. It was embarrasing but my can still has the same issue from time to time. I don't know what to do.