Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Pacifica Gas Mileage

2»

Comments

• Options
    nuruc7nuruc7 Member Posts: 98
    Have you checked the accuracy versus your fillups?

I switched to synthetic oil and a K&N filter and that helps a bit. It will vary how much depending on the engine and your driving style.
  • Options
    faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    You don't say how many miles are on your 04 PAC. Does it have the 3.5 L or the 3.8 L engine, is it FWD or AWD ? these are just the start of the information needed to help you. Also there are lost of minor things you can do like , oil & filters changes, tires ballanced, replace spark plugs, clean the injectors, change transmission fluid & filter. There are lots of things you can do, but if the car has been treated by schedule B or A in the owners Manual you would have a pretty good idea what has to be done. If a Chrysler dealer did the service work on it or if there was a TSB or a Recall this too would show, and you can call any Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep dealer and ask the Service dept. to look it up for you, it;s a free thing they do. If you give us the VIN # we can find some of this out for you.
    However the best way to get good mpg is the way you drive. Be smooth, and even what some might call slow starts and stops. This can recall help more than all the things above all together.

farout
  • Options
    judykathleenjudykathleen Member Posts: 3
    It has <47,000 miles on it. I have bought new tires (so balanced). I had the transmission fluid changed at 33,000 miles. I do my oil changes. It had new brakes put on it. I don't think I am a fast stop/start driver. I am between looking for something else (but like the Pacifica other than gas mileage), and investing in plugs, filters etc. I will probably keep it, but don't have a clue about mechanical stuff and what to do to see if it can get better mileage. VIN 2CBGM68424R629976. I would appreciate any input to help me with gas mileage.
  • Options
    The vin # you gave me is invalid so please check it again, and see if a # got transposed. If this is the actual Vin # then there is a problem.

farout
  • Options
    judykathleenjudykathleen Member Posts: 3
    woops...Needed my glasses and a magnifier for that. 2C8GM68424R629976.
  • Options
    There are 10 recorded things in the kansas DMV. That could mean transfer of ownership, or change in financing. That is not alarming or much to be concerned about. I could not find if you have a AWD or a DWD. You have a 3.5 L engine and the 4 speed transmission. The engine is quite reliable and durable with normal care.
    I would suggest taking it to a five Star dealer and have them run diagnostic test and see if anything shows up. Be glad you don't have the 3.8 L engine they do use a good bit of fuel.
    It appears that your PAC has a 80,000 mile Service Contract on it, that too you will have to verify with the dealer when you take it in, but maybe you already know for sure.
    Just a final thought, do you buy a quality brand of gasoline? Stay away fron Quick Trip, and MFA cheap gas not in price just not always the better quality, and 87 ovtaine is what you should use. Hope this helps a little.

farout
  • Options
    Biggd1999Biggd1999 Member Posts: 19
    When I first got my '07 AWD 4.0L PAC I could have sworn that when I filled the tank up the Miles to Empty on the dash read 420-422. Not to long ago it started reading 350-355 and it seems to go through gas like crazy with only seeing about 300-320 out of a full tank. Also, if I fill the car up and drive home and then get into it later on the gas gauge will read about 1/8th tank gone and then as I drive it will slowly go back up to full. Does anyone else experience any of this?
  • Options
    psycho_sam_1psycho_sam_1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I'm going to be buying an '07 Pacifica Touring (18k mi), FWD, 4L, 6sp auto, next week. I've read a lot of differences in gas mileage, so I'll post on here a few weeks after I buy it when I average the mileage.

I'd have to say that the mileage can vary widely with any vehicle and this is mostly due to condition (fouled/old plugs or incorrect gap can really hinder mileage) and driving habits. I can get 25mpg average out of my '94 Mitsubishe Diamante (3L V6), while my wife gets 27mpg out of our '03 Hyundai Accent. These figures are a 65/45 mix of city/highway. I take off slowly and drive fast, while my wife accelerates quickly and goes the speed limit.

I'm hoping to get around 18-20 average out of the Pacifica.
  • Options
    psycho sam 1: Welcome to the forum! Most of the active chat is in the transmission forum, and we yack a lot of different things.
    I have a 07 PAC Touring AWD. I am getting 22.3 right now in 24 F. degree outside temp. That's doing 65 to 70 mph.

I try to stay with Phillips 66 or Conoco gas. The cheap MFA gas in Missouri has less of the cleaning agents. All gas here in Missouri is 10% ethonol so that has an effect to lower mpg a little as well. In warmer temp's we gat up to 25 to 27 mpg.

If you plan on keeping the car until 100,000 miles I suggest the Chrysler Max care service contract, that way you are totally covered on everything. There has been a torque converter recall on the 6 speed transmissions so make sure your was done or was not in the dates covered. The last date for replacement was Dec. 06. Mine was one in the list to be replaced. It does take about 2000 miles to get the new TC to retrain the PTM.

I have found the duel exhaust really neet to see from behind. The 07 was the only year to have this. In 08 Chrysler cancled the PAC. For several reasons, slow sales and the cost to make the vehicle was high. MB helped design the PAC and it does have very nice quality, and the fit and finish are way above anything Chrysler is making now or in the past. To tell you some info, the PACF was the largest and widest vehicle (except the Ram truck) chrysler was making at the time. The 4. L engine is a remade 3.5 L engine. The engine packs a lot of punch! That also eats up fuel too.

Plugs don't need replaced till 105,00o0 miles, but the cost is about $ 350. because they have to take off the intake manifold to reach the back 3 plugs. That's one reason to use good quality fuel.

I have 35,300 miles on our PAC and it runs and rides like a dream. With the AWD we can't even tell when it's AWD or just the frony. The AWD scampers up our ice or snow hill like the Jeep Liberty's we have owned.

I think you will really enjoy your PAC.

farout
  • Options
    psycho_sam_1psycho_sam_1 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for the welcome :D I'll have to post in the tranny forum. Thank you for letting me know about the TC issue - I appreciate it.

I test drove it last night and really liked it. We're going back on Friday to see if we can keep it for the weekend. I'm also going to have the dealer get me a carfax and see about the TC issue (if it's been replaced, or if it was in the problem date duration).

I will definitely check into the Max Care service contract - thank you for telling me. I do like the dual exhaust, but I may have to replace the stock mufflers with either Magnaflow or Borla - I think the 4L needs to breathe a bit better, plus the sound doesn't hurt. The engine is pretty powerful - much better than I anticipated in a 4300lb car (well, crossover or suv).

I guess I won't be changing the plugs then!!! Thanks again for the help. I'll post (next time) in the tranny forum. Have a good day :)
  • Options
    coxfam1coxfam1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1 car owner 04 pacifica AWD with the third row with all the bells to replace a total nissan van. I love the car but the gas mileage is killing me. Iam only getting 15-16 MPG. What can I do cause i travel 50 miles one way to work. I might have to get another car to drive to work :cry:
  • Options
    jtg61jtg61 Member Posts: 43
    I have an '08 FWD Pacifica and I regularly get 25-26 mpg on the mileage computer readout. Why would the 4.0L get better gas mileage than the 3.5L? The only thing I can think of is the 6-speed transmission. I don't think you can squeeze better mileage than you're getting out of the 4-speed.
  • Options
    We have a 2007 PAC Touring AWD and we have gotten as high as 27. The final drive of the 6th speed in lock up makes all the difference. The extra hp in the 4. L engine gives the extra hp needed to blend in better that the 4 speed 3.5 L. The
    pick-up is far better than most V-8 engines. The 4,L is the 3.5 engine that has been updated. This engine is far better than the 4,7 in the Dakota trusk. So what you are experiencing is as it should be.

This is the most comfortable vehicle we have ever driven. The PAC is Chryslers best kept secrect.

farout
This discussion has been closed.