Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1967 datsun convertible

cwornellcwornell Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Datsun
Hi,

I have a 1967 Datsun convertible, silver. It runs well. It needs some brake work, but it is driveable. I drove it to and from work for about 2 months whle my other car was being fixed.

Here is my question. I am not up to keeping up with this car. I love it, but it is beyond my skills.

I need to either sell the car or trade it in. I have no clue what the value of the car is.

If someone could help me out with an idea on what i should be asking for the car that would be great.

And do dealers even take old cars like this for trade in?

A little mroe about the car.

My grandmother bought the car in 1970 it has beenwith the family ever since. It has all of the original dash and seats. THe AM radio even works.
It was involved in an accident (a silly teenage girl ran into it while it was in the garage.. long story) My grandfather and dad did all fo the repair work and i think you can't tell that the body was dented at all. this was about 12 years ago.

Thanks for your help!

Charlotte

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's depends a great deal on the cosmetic condition inside and out, and the value will vary widely based on that. So how shiny the paint is, how good the upholstery is, door panels, soft top condition, etc, means a lot more than mechanical condition.

The car's history is a plus. I'd guess somewhere between $4,000 and $7,500, unless it is a) shabby or b) spectacular show car, then deduct or add accordingly.
  • Options
    Thanks!!

The interior looks great. I think i said the entire dash is all original and everything still works. THe seats are original and in great shape. THe paint job is very nice silver and shiny. The soft top is in good shape, but the back window part needs cleaning up, and i don't know how to do it. The seals are all excellent though, I have driven it in the rain and not gotten wet ;-)

ANy suggestions on where i would list it for sale to get serious offers?

Thanks,
    CHarlotte
  • Options
    Well maybe there's more money in the car...hard to say without seeing it...You could ask $9,500 and see how it goes, presuming you can really detail it and make it look beautiful.

Best thing would be for you to go to these websites and monitor other people's asking prices for a while.

www.hemmings.com

www.traderonline.com

craigslist.org
  • Options
    bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    Is your car a 1600 or 2000? I assume it's the 1600 as the 2000 is somewhat more desireable and rarer. I remember those vertically placed radios. Good luck with your car.
  • Options
    The price guides don't seem to give any extra value for the 2000....probably because they were known to be troublesome.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I remember that but I don't remember the nature of the "troubles".
  • Options
    Head gaskets I think--overheating, heads bending, etc.
  • Options
    bocatripbocatrip Member Posts: 194
    I remember working on a 1970 2000 with very low miles (around 36,000) that needed some head work. I believe there were issues with one of the mechanical lifters. The 2000 did have a lot more zip when the engine was operating properly.
  • Options
    tbreadstockingtbreadstocking Member Posts: 6
    please let me know if you want to sell :blush:
  • Options
    Hi,

I think I am going to sell her, as hard as that is for me to do. She needs someone who can spend more time on her than I can.

If your really interested let me know, and make an offer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Charlotte
  • Options
    markbpiazzamarkbpiazza Member Posts: 5
    Did you ever sell your car? If not, I may be interested in purchasing it.
  • Options
    I am the one interested in the car . cwornell would you still like to sell your car? please contact me
  • Options
    Apparently tbread wasn't that interested as more than 7 months went by without an offer. If you are serious about selling, please contact me.
  • Options
    Charlotte please let me know if you are still selling your car .i am interested ,i never knew you answered my e-mail. :cry: it would be a dream.
  • Options
    Yes I am still looking at selling.
    Again it is a 1967 , original interior, silver, It will need some work, but it does run. Has a soft top that coems with it, needs to be cleaned. It got me to and fromwork for about 7 months, but hasn't been driven in about 2 years. Has been owned by my grandmother for, forever. The body is in great shape, it does overheat when driven for more than about 30 minutes on hot days.
    It is in Midland Texas, so if someone wants it they will have to arrange pick-up.
    So, make me an offer, or contact me privately and I'll discuss price, There is a lot of sentimental emotion tied up in this car for me, so i'm not going to sell to a low-ball offer.
  • Options
    how much? can you send me pictures? I live in ny. can i drive it home?
  • Options
    I'm very, very interested as well.

tbread -- I don't know why I'm being so gracious, seeing as you haven't followed-up on this car for over 6 months, but I'll grant you "shotgun" status.

cwornell -- I've been looking for this exact car for some time. I stumbled onto your postings by chance, but I am very serious. Please forward pictures to me directly if tbread doesn't make good on his "promise" to make you a reasonable offer.
  • Options
    Why don't you guys work this out on e-mail?

Thanks

Shifty the Host
  • Options
    My e-mail is available when you click my name.

E-mail me and I will send pics and answer any questions, after I get off work tonight.

Thanks
  • Options
    LOL, I'm giving you a hard time aren't I? ;)

Don't post your e-mail in these forums, or an itsy bitsy spider might put you on a spam list. Just click on each other's user names and the e-mail will come up.

So I'd recommend deleting your post above.
  • Options
    cwornell please contact me , my wife is pregnant & ive been busy,sorry.
  • Options
    When I click on their names the e-mails are listed as private. So hopefully they will click on mine.
  • Options
    Yours is showing as private. I've now made mine available.
  • Options
    tried to email you and it came back failed add me as a friend
  • Options
    Charlotte, my e-mail address is now available to you. Please send me pics and other information.

PS - your e-mail is still showing as private.
  • Options
    stevef8stevef8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Charlotte
    I was wondering if you every sold your datsun. I live in the Seattle area and I was searching for 67 datsuns for sale and came across your posting. Did you sell your car and if not are you able to send me some images of it . I was also wondering what you would like for it.

Steve Fisher
This discussion has been closed.