Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Rattles and Creaks

amanda0307amanda0307 Member Posts: 2
Back in October I bought a 07 Classic silverado work truck. I was tired of having car troubles all the time and figured buying new would be the way to solve the problem. Well I think I may have been wrong. I took it in for it's first oil change and they told me that I need to schedule an appointment to bring it back to get the oil pan re-sealed. A month or two after I got it I noticed that the driver side sat lower then the passenger. Took it in to have them look at it they had to order the parts and now I'm waiting. Since the last time I took it in I have noticed a strange noise coming from the passenger side. It sounds like an older truck would sound when it creaks and rattles. The only time I really hear it is when I'm slowing down to stop. Just curious if anyone else is having problems or if I just got a limon?

Comments

• xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    I also have an '07 Classic W/T with the V-6. It has 1700 miles on it (mostly highway). I'm taking it in today for a rattle or scraping sound from the passenger side that quits when I step on the brakes. The brakes also "pulse" when I come to a stop. I washed the truck two weeks ago and already the front wheels are covered with brake dust. If you think you may have a lemon save all your paper work from the service department.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    Just curious if either of you have added aftermarket running boards? If you overtighten the body mount bolts when installing running boards, you can get an awful creaking noise during braking or low speed turning.
  • pleos2pleos2 Member Posts: 5
    I also bought a '07 Silverado 1500 Classic work truck. In the last few months...the driver's seat has been making squeeking and crunching noises. I took it into the dealership on 9/4/2007 and the service tech had it for 4 hours and found that the rear "pinch welds" on the driver's seat had broken. They rescheduled me to come back in on 9/24/2007 to have it re welded. Today is 10/2/2007 and I still have not gotten my truck back. I keep getting messages from the service manager stating "we've ordered the seat track assembly and hope that fixes the noises". I have been trying to search the internet for diagrams on this seat assembly proceedure and have no luck finding anything relating to a simple diagram or assembly proceedure for these truck seats to know what they are talking about. Apparently there were a few other people on other consumer car websites that have mentioned the same seat problems. There have been no recalls or service bulletins posted about this problem. :confuse: This seems to be a major SAFETY ISSUE if you are in an accident and the seat breaks loose. I may have to consult my attorney about the lemon law proceedures since it is a relative safety issue due to poor manufacturing. :lemon:
  • mdryansmdryans Member Posts: 1
    I just did that and now I can't find out what the torque specs are supposed to be. Could you help me out.

Thanks,
    Michael
  • fishfnaticfishfnatic Member Posts: 2
    i have an 07 ext. cab and i get a rattle that comes from passenger side around the door post area. If i fasten seatbelt with nobody in the truck it helps. I do not notice when someone is sitting in passenger seat and i do not have running boards. I don't know if its related.
    With my seat...they had to replace the seat tracks, re-weld the pinch welds and re-inforce the seat cushion to make it stiffer not to mention completely tighten down all the seat bolts. Good as new. :)
    Hmm...thats a qood question...depends on your model, engine size and if its a 2 or 4 wheel drive and am not sure...wish I could have been of better assistance.
  • amanda0307amanda0307 Member Posts: 2
    I finally took my truck in for the squeaky noise. Mine was loose body mount bolts and loose ground cable bolts. I also had them grease transmission yoke cause when I was stopped and then would let off the brake it felt like someone rear ended me. I guess Chevy has had a problem with that for awhile now but, both problems are solved on my truck now =)
  • red4x4red4x4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '07 GMC Sierra Classic that I dropped off yesterday at the dealer's service dept. because of a knocking sound coming from the passenger side floor board. They called and said that it was the body mount. One of the bolts had too much play in it. Said it would take @ 2 1/2 hrs. to fix. And I don't have running boards.
  • new2chevynew2chevy Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 Silverado 2wd V8 EXT cab. I bought it 10/31/2007. And I have about 500 miles on it, maybe less. But just last night, the radio was off and a I I heard creaks coming from the passenger side as well. When I slow down and make slight turns into drive ways I heard it. This is my first chevy and was think'in the same thing. But other than that everything is perfect so far. I guess I'll see...
  • clarkstonclarkston Member Posts: 4
    My 07 (NBS) Silverado 1500 ext cab is creaking and squeaking in the door pillar floor areas after having side steps installed, are the bolts to loose or to tight?
    Were rubber or foam gasgets around the screws that fastened the steps to the body installed? I've found that many loose bolts and cracked mounts cause alot of squeeks in my truck and its "new". I'd take it to the dealership since its still under warranty and if they say "we didn't install it" well, everything they try to sell as aftermarket items get refered to other companies for that stuff anyways. QUALITY is not one of GM's strong points I've found. Good Luck! :(
  • snakedocsnakedoc Member Posts: 1
    Amanda0307,

I also have passenger and driver creeking seat issues. Has the delaership repaired your vehicle yet?
    It took the dealership 3 weeks to find and fix my seek creaks. It was the seat tracks. The bolts came loose that hold the tracks in place. If there were an accident; the seat would have come loose and fly forward. They had to completely remove the seat, bolts and tracks and reassemble with new undamaged tracks and larger bolts. Good Luck with yours!
  • skirider70skirider70 Member Posts: 1
    Both of my front tires are wearing down on the inside shoulders. I bought new bridgestone 60,000 mile tires 6 months ago and I have had it alligned twice. All of the suspension parts apppear to be in good shape. Has anyone else had this problem.
  • johnc8047johnc8047 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 08 Crew Cab Silverado. I have noticed that the truck bed will bounce up and down on the drivers side when the driver side rear tire hits bumps. Its like the bed bounces with the truck tire or suspension. Has anyone else had this problem? Also, my driver door was not lined up and doesnt shut/open like the others. Took it in and they said they would line it up, it still isnt right. When I go pull in the driveway, I can hear it make noise cause of it being off. Anyone else having these problems?
  • j_abatej_abate Member Posts: 1
    2001 Chevy Silverado Reg. Cab. 4x4. Horrible clattering noise from under the truck that only happens when it is wet out and seems to come and go. 2 or 4 wheel doesn't matter. Happens when hitting bumps like going down gravel or bumpy blacktop roads. Happens at any speed. Does it when coasting in neutral. VERY VERY loud. cannot tell where it is coming from. Jumping on the back end or shaking the truck doesn't seem to make the noise come out. The clattering is driving me nuts not to mention pissing off the neighbors. I've looked all over underneath thinking something broke with my muffler but can't find any problems.
  • dhayes436dhayes436 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: :lemon: I have 07 classic crew cab. Its been worked on 11 times. Seat, door, front end, rear end noise. All of the same you all have listed. Mostly squeaking from rear. I have been told time and time again that they would fix my truck. Not to worry they would extend my warranty and continue to work on it until fixed. Now my warranty is out "SORRY' that is a normal sound. We don't warranty squeaks or rattles. We just worked on your truck to improve customer relations. They lie and tell you what they think you want to hear until the warranty runs out. Than it is your baby. I now have a truck that sounds like a 30 year old rust bucket, when you get in or out, lean on it and drive it up and down the road. If your truck is still under warranty "get rid of it". I have a complaint with the BBB and am going to make one with the Attorney Generals office. If you have any suggestions Please let me Know. I will never buy another CHEVY.
  • bart8bart8 Member Posts: 1
    Amen brother, I have an 07 Silverado classic, been in the dealer 5 times for front end knocking and rattling. also the headliner had to be replaced. front end still knocks when going over any rough surface evem after having intermediate steering shaft replaced 3 times. The front end/suspension on this piece of crap is the worst of any vehicle I've ever owned. i hate this truck and would NEVER buy any GM product again.
  • hoofe249hoofe249 Member Posts: 2
    i have a06 2500hd 6.0 ltr gmc.out of the blue the engine will shut down,its still running but theres no throttle; display says " low engine power". let it sit a few minutes and restart; everythings fine except check engine lite is on (until the next time i shut the truck off and restart). anyone have this happen?
  • holocker4321holocker4321 Member Posts: 5
    my 2006 trucks engine light started blinking would rev at 2-3 1000 rev then have a rough time moving she was bogging down and the more i drove it the worse it got took it to the shop . they said it was misfirng on 2,4,&6 changed cap ,plugs rotor changed three of the new plugs noticed 2,4,& 6 were black 1,3,& 5 were not mechanic cleaned some oxygen thing by the air filter did not help ..spent day with the mechanic he is stumped ...could this be something we r missing it is eatind gas like crazy he had mentioned that the exhaust coming out smelled foul what ever the means please help .......dont have much money to be throwing darts at a parts list and hoping it fixes the truck .......help me please its getting worse the lower the gas gauge goes
  • crusin57crusin57 Member Posts: 20
    I have only been a member here for a short time and at first thought wow so many people with complete disappointment with their truck's. I have a 2006 silverado, i just bought it on july 14th. It has 58k on it, i thought what could go wrong with it. Well so far it's been in the shop twice and will be going back in tomorrow for more issues. I can't believe that it seems like everyday it's a new something. I have been driving chevys for over 30 year's and never have i been so disappointed in a product from GM.
    my 2006 silverado has sixty thousand close to your truck mayb sixty is the number where everything goes to h@ll i thought i treated my truck like a baby
    i use it for work so i need to find a solution without breaking my nonexsisting bank account
  • crusin57crusin57 Member Posts: 20
    Ya i hear you on the bank thing, my truck had to be certified and e-tested by the dealer, i picked my truck up on a weds, two days after now friday the engine light came on, i thought how can this be possible it just had an emissions test and passed.

On saturday morning bringing my wife to work the speakers started to stop working one by one, i almost couldn't believe it, Sat afternoon go to pick my wife up from work truck won't run, notice the sterio is completely dead, like no power, Dealer tells me the anti theft has activated, how can that be its been just sitting in my driveway.

To make things worse it starts raining can't put the windows up because the radio controls the power there some how, 2 hours and 15 minutes exactly the radio power comes back on the truck started and i got my windows up.

Now the front brakes sqeek, sounds like the pad warners and i have a rattle in the undercarriage some place.

So now it going back to the shop again, 3 times in 4 weeks, Anyway i,m pretty fed up already, more towards the dealership where i bought it from so much so i filed a complaint with the BBB last night.
    the more i am investigating the more i am coming to the conclusion that it might b intake manifold gasket seems like chevy has a lot of problems with that leaking i am going to keep investigating and call my poor mechanic cuz he only charged me twenty dollars for labor yesterday and poor guy was trying to figure it out all day in the nice hot humid ohio weather i think i owe him a couple of beers
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Holocker4,
    I apologize that your vehicle is having concerns. Has the dealership come up with an answer to your issues yet? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    after changing everything except the fuel injectors we come to the conclusion that it is the fuel injectors that go to 2 , 4 & 6 .i called the chevy dealership to see if it was possbly under warrenty since it only has sixty thousand miles and of course it was not . :mad: seems they should realize that injectors should not go that early and they should want to help their loyal customers ...maybe ill go to toyota after i fix this up my truck is paid off so everthing would b a proffit and toyota seems like they care about their customers
  • arhutchesonarhutcheson Member Posts: 1
    We have this problem too and they told us to start with it was a control module that is on the gas pedal (Over$300) well after replacing that they now ay we need to order a now throttle body(Over $300) and can you believe that with this happenening so much that there is not a recall, did you ever fix your problem, if so how did you do it.
This discussion has been closed.