Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Yeah, I think VW at #3 is surprising to us Americans, since they only have like 3% of the market here. They are probably #1 in Europe, though. I would guess they also sell a lot in Mexico and South America.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    China is another market VW does well.
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    Ok that's a giant difference from what I thought the comparison was. Which is US sales, hyundai only vs honda. Not Hyundai/Kia global vs Honda global. You gotta remember, Hyundai and Kia add up to almost double the sales from the two brands and two sets of almost complete car lines. It's kinda how GM was keeping ahead of Toyota until Toyota started getting giant sales on most of their models. Yes Hyundai/Kia is huge worldwide, but they're not quite so huge domestically. And Honda is huge here, and not so huge elsewhere.

Personally I almost consider Kia and Hyundai to be seperate. It's similar to like how Mazda and Ford are.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    How about Acura, which is included in Honda? Lexus, which is included in Toyota? Mercury & Lincoln which are included in Ford? And all the brands (some of which are not sold here) which are included in GM?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    How about we come on back to the midsize sedans that seem to be our specific topic before we drift too far away?

:)
  • brianshbriansh Member Posts: 4
    Actually Hyundai/Kia is more like one company. Hyundai holds 38% of Kia shares and more importantly, they share their main R&D center. So they are like two brothers in a family.
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Hmm, I found the prius legroom wasn't very good either.

I agree... I'm 6' 4" and as soon as I sat in it to test drive, I knew it wasn't going to happen. The only way is if they allowed the seat to move back more. There's plenty of room, but it stops way too short.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think we were talking about back seat legroom, but allowing enough leg room for a 6'4" driver and a similarly-sized passenger sitting behind him/her is a tall order (no pun intended) for most mid-sized cars. In many mid-sizers, I have just enough room for sitting behind myself, and I'm 6" shorter. Even in mid-sizers with good rear legroom, e.g. Accord, Camry, Fulan, Optima, and Sonata, that would be a very tough test.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    ...is up on cars.com

Not half bad.
    The EPA rating is actually 48/45 mpg for the Prius according to EPA (one of the few entities that thinks that this compact is a mid-size ;) ).

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bestworst.shtml
    In addition to the Prius the following are midsize according to EPA:

Nissan Versa
    Nissan Sentra
    Hyundai Elantra
    Kia Spectra
    Dodge Caliber
    (Apparently Nissan makes only midsize cars, as the Altima and Maxima are also midsize)

In a new EPA approved Midsize Sedan forum 3.0, these cars would be included and "large" cars such as the Accord and Sonata would be kicked out and have to find a place in the EPA approved large car forum.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Call me crazy, but comparing cars that are similar in price, purpose, power, and size (yes, including the stragglers of the class, Accord, G6, Sonata, etc) make a lot more sense than bringing in vehicles costing sometimes only 40% of what midsize cars in the classic sense actually cost.

Surely you agree that including the Sonata and Accord and excluding the Versa, Caliber, etc. makes for a more useful thread than if it were the other way around?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Call me crazy, but comparing cars that are similar in price, purpose, power, and size (yes, including the stragglers of the class, Accord, G6, Sonata, etc) make a lot more sense than bringing in vehicles costing sometimes only 40% of what midsize cars in the classic sense actually cost.

Not crazy at all. In fact, despite the EPA's "classification", the vast majority think of cars such as the Camry, Accord, Altima, and Sonata when the word "midsize" is used. Not the Versa, Elantra, and Prius.

Let's stick with what works, shall we?
    Oh, I absolutely agree...sarcasm was my intent there.

I'm pointing out the silliness (IMO) of using EPAs classifications. We could have a forum just to compare the 4 Nissan midsizes. Hmm...let's see should I buy a Versa or a Maxima, they are both midsizes and I just can not decide between them ;) .
    There are only minor differences after all. Both have a CVT. One just happens to have 168 more horses than the other. Other than that they might as well be the same, right? :P
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    "I'm pointing out the silliness (IMO) of using EPAs classifications."

What other classification systems exist that you would recommend? Only classifications from a regulatory entity or standards body should apply, as individual standards - such as what you're trying to impose on the forum - would never be widely accepted. Also, as this is predominantly a US-based forum, the standards organization should be US-based, i.e. EU standards wouldn't be applicable.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    It's mostly US based but common definitions determined by common sense have seemed to serve the forum and all users well over the years. Some could argue base price ranges would be a good way to catagerize instead of EPA size. This would virtually eliminate ridiculous discussions such as Versa vs. Maxima.
    You may find it silly, but as I am lining up candidates for my next car I am comparing alternatives such as the Optima, Sonata... and Elantra. They all have sufficient interior room, safety equipment, and power for my needs. The fact that the Elantra is about 10 inches shorter is irrelevant--although actually I see it as a plus.

I have no problem keeping this grouping as it is (although we need to remember others that cannot be listed here due to technical constraints, e.g. Optima, Milan, and Galant). But considering a car because it has mid-sized interior room, even though it's not mid-sized in length or width or hp or some other measure, is not "silly" IMO.
    I think the "silly" part is to suggest taking cars OUT of the comparison that are mainstream midsize cars even though they trip over the requirement (or miss it slightly).

Perhaps this should be called the "Mainstream Midsize Sedan Comparison" to compliment the "Mainstream Large Sedan Comparison."
    And like we discussed earlier, some "mid-sized interiors" are not mid-size for real purposes. I think the Elantra is actually a legit mid-size, but many other designs are not. Either way I think a combination of mid-size to large interior and mid-size exterior are a good definition that covers most of the cars here. Obviously a little leeway toward other cars should be fine. The exterior and wheelbase do matter for a car, not just the interior. Maybe what we also need is a "roomy compact exterior" thread ;)
    as I am lining up candidates for my next car I am comparing alternatives such as the Optima, Sonata... and Elantra.

Sorry, but...so what? Just because you think a car may meet your needs does not make it midsize. When I was shopping, I considered the RX-8 and the Ford 500 (now Taurus) along with several midsize cars.

The very definition you seem to want to use pushes the Sonata and Optima to "large". Seems like you agree with edmunds common sense classification scheme, when it includes those two cars in the mid-size category, but dismiss it when it excludes others.
    You are putting words into my mouth. This has really gone far beyond the comment I made about the fact that some small cars have mid-sized interiors.

Also, check your facts. The EPA classes the Optima as a mid-sized car. Sonata (and Accord) are barely full-sized on the EPA scheme. This is what makes classifying cars by size difficult. Cars are growing in size over the years. The Accord, for example, used to be "compact" based on interior and exterior size. Now it's full-sized!

Obviously "at least mid-sized interior room" was not one of your criterion when you looked at cars. It was for me. That is all I was trying to say. I am not fixated on exterior size when it comes to cars. Passenger (and cargo) space is what's important. In fact, I drove a vehicle last week that is subcompact sized in length but has full-sized interior room and cargo space, and my wife and I loved the space efficiency of it.

You have your needs and wants, I have mine. Let's be respectful of each other's opinions, OK?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I considered the RX-8 and the Ford 500 (now Taurus) along with several midsize cars.

This is an odd combination. They have about as much in common as an oil tanker, and a bass boat. Either you need four doors and a big interior, or you don't. You must have been really confused at the time. ;)
    Sounds like my folks when they were shopping for a second car. Top 3 on their list?

A Nissan Versa, a Ford Taurus ('08), and a Hyundai VeraCruz.

The took the Taurus.

They really had no idea what they wanted, but took my suggestion in driving the Ford, and are happy with it! :)
    Imho, bizarre cross shopping is awesome. People's wants sometimes fly around in crazy directions. Personally my cross shop was from compact hatchbacks like Fits to large interior mid-sizers like Accords. All of them would work for me in the need category. The wants are all the difference. I think people who shop for mid-size tend to be willing to look around a bit because economy mid-size sedans are a pretty bland and standard bunch. Of course the luxury boys are more interesting *cough m3*
    I love that someone crossed a compact hatch, a large boat, and a near-lux suv. We need more crazy shopping!
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    lol. I cross shopped Camry, Accord, Altima, and RAV4 V6. I didn't even think to look at the Rogue, and I hated the way the new CRV looks.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Back in 99 I cross shopped a Mercury Cougar, Ford Mustang and Lincoln LS. Ended up with the LS.

Why do you assume that anyone who doesn't think like you do is confused or misguided?
    Either you need four doors and a big interior, or you don't.

I don't really need anything in particular at this point. My needs could have been met by a(nother) $3000-4000 beater, which I also considered.

There are times when it would be nice to provide a sofa for the back seat passengers and there are times when it would be fun to drive an RX-8. It is all about trade-offs.

I'm pretty sure if you mated a 500/Taurus with an RX-8, the result would be something like the Mazda6 :D ...so it all makes perfect sense.

You must have been really confused at the time. ;)

Oh, I still am...no need to use the past tense there :) .
  • jimmywifflejimmywiffle Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a 2008 Nissan Altima. I will need to install two car seats in the car, so I am looking for some feedback from parents who have installed car seats in the 2008 Altima. Thanks
    Sorry folks, if your picture causes part of the posts to push up under the right sidebar, the post has to be deleted.

You can post your pictures on your CarSpace page and then use the automatically generated text to display them here. That way they will be automatically resized and not cause a problem.

Thanks!
    Back in 99 I cross shopped a Mercury Cougar, Ford Mustang and Lincoln LS. Ended up with the LS.

Why do you assume that anyone who doesn't think like you do is confused or misguided?

I just think you decide what you want (large car=LS, sports car=Mustang, or coupe=Cougar), then you start shopping. If you are going to shop for sports cars, coupes, and large cars, you will be spending a lot of time shopping. That's more time than I want to spend at dealerships. A lot of people buy a Coupe on impulse (it just looks so cool), then regret that decision later.
    In my case I had no preconceived notions of what I wanted or specific requirements.

Once again you can't comprehend that other people don't think just like you.
    In my case I had no preconceived notions of what I wanted or specific requirements.

To me, that increases the chances of buying the wrong car. But hey, if it works for you. ;)
    Actually it increases your options and therefore the likelihood that you will find the right vehicle. Especially since my only real requirement was that it fit 4 people for short trips. So the only way I could have bought the "wrong" vehicle is if I bought a 2 seater.
    You can post your pictures on your CarSpace page and then use the automatically generated text to display them here.

Yeah, right I fiddled around once before trying to get that to work with no success :cry: . I hope you feel guilty for having deprived all of that hilarious (if I do say so myself) Tardis post and photo ;) .

Okay, I'll try again, your way...

the Backy's go for a test drive of the new Tardis:

Mr. Backy says: Honey you won't believe how big it is inside

;):D
    And looky, looky! It magically fits in the given space and doesn't screw up reading the page for everyone else!! :shades:

Thanks for reposting that!!
    We did actually look at the Tardis, but the fuel economy wasn't too good, and everywhere we went on the test drive there seemed to be some kind of major drama or even disaster happening. We also looked at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome (seats were not comfortable enough, and it smelled like hot dogs inside), the Mall of America (noise levels too high, but very roomy), and a Mustang (the Hot Wheels version--nice paint joib, and a good price at the local Walgreens, just 79 cents plus tax, but really tight inside).
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    and a Mustang (the Hot Wheels version--nice paint joib, and a good price at the local Walgreens, just 79 cents plus tax, but really tight inside

And just think of all the extra room you'd have for all your other stuff in the garage! :D
    Sounds like my folks - test drove a WIDE variety of vehicles trying to decide what they wanted. Hyundai Accent, VeraCruz, Chevrolet Impala, Honda Civic, Ford Taurus, Scion xD, Nissan Versa. Got a Taurus. If you don't know what KIND you want, you don't just decide to narrow yourself to only one category. THAT'S how you lead yourself to choosing the right car. The more you drive the more tightly you can narrow your preferences by process of elimination.
    we went on the test drive there seemed to be some kind of major drama or even disaster happening

Who needs that, I can get enough of that at home. BTW, was the large inside/compact outside an XB...that is what comes to my mind, when thinking of the largest volume in the smallest package.

I bet big rebates will be coming on the metrodome, I hear nobody wants one and a redesigned model is coming soon.
    I'm sure they could have narrowed it down between the Accent (entry level car) and a Taurus (large car) without actually test driving both. The differeces are obvious. :confuse:
    The xB is pretty roomy for its size, yes But not as roomy (or as good looking!) as what I drove the other day. The xB is one of a very short list of cars that I would not buy based on looks alone--no matter how roomy it is. :P
    They were used cars, but my kid recently considered a Crown Vic Police Interceptor followed by an Accent.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    LOL!! Back in 2006, I had narrowed it down to the two cars I would have really liked to have parked in my driveway. Talk about cross-shopping, It was between an Acura TL and a Lexus RX350. I ended up with the Lexus.
    I noticed the pricing for the 2009 Mazda6 is up at Edmunds.com. The SV with 6 speed and standard ESC starts at just $19,220, invoice about $1000 under that. Once the rebates hit (and they will eventually due to the competitiveness of the mid-sized market), one should be able to get one for around $17k + T&L, maybe less. :)

Anyone seen or driven a 2009 Mazda6 yet?
    a few reviews are out, but I don't think the car goes on sale until the end of this month or early next month Backy.

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but I remember reading somewhere than the SV model is pretty much like the Altima 2.5BASE (not the S) in that it will be stick shift only, special order only and it won't have the trip computer, remote keyless entry or cruise control standard. I'm guessing the SV model will be difficult to find. Most will probably stock the Sport (which I don't think will be a huge seller either) Tourings and Grand Tourings. Aviboy, any idea how the product mix for the new 6 will turn out? Which trim is projected to sell the best? I'm willing to bet its the Touring models.

I'm waiting for it to debut since it's basically on my list of family sedans to consider. I'm more interested in the i Touring and Grand Touring sedans though.
    You're right, no mention of cruise, trip computer, or remote locking in Edmunds' specs. But it seems pretty well equipped otherwise. Not sure why they bother to market a new mid-sized car design without features that are commonplace even on compacts these days, unless they just want to be able to advertise "2009 Mazda6 starting at under $20,000!"

At least it has standard ESC even on the lowest trim level, something the Altima 2.5 and several other mid-sizers do not have standard across the board.
    I'd agree...the model probably exist for advertising purposes and probably won't sell in large quantities (like the new Maxima S model or say the Camry CE)

I'm wondering what Nissan is gonna do with the Altima. If Nissan follows tradition, we'll be seeing the facelifted Altima at Chicago in Feb. There are already rumors about the changes expected to take place on the 2010 Camry (LED's at the rear, available factory XM, wider variety of push button start, revised interior with better materials and facelifted front and rear) so I'm eager to see what Nissan does to the Altima.

Hopefully it'll get LEDs, revised better wheels and Stability control standard, along with some adjustable rear headrest too. I can't believe Nissan still doesn't utilize adjustable rear headrest on the Altima.
    Maybe they are in cahoots with Ford. I don't think the Fulan has adjustable rear headrests either. And it's finally getting stability control as an option for 2009. Clearly safety is not a big concern for Nssan or Ford.
    If lack of adjustable rear headrests is the only safety item you can nitpick on - I think that says a lot.