Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The Legacy GT with a mtx is the quickest, and smallest of the bunch. I have spent a lot of time in all Legacy's, since we have a Subaru store in addition to our Mazda store. The atx Legacy GT has an excess of turbo lag that is just too much to over look. The handling of the Legacy GT is also undesirable. It has a very soft suspension, and the steering is not all that great, and the braking is terrible. You would think with AWD it would be the best handler of the group too, but, it is not. My 05 Mazda6 handles better then the Legacy GT. Now, Subaru offers the GT Spec-B, but also at a premium price tag, and still does not handle as well as it should. Then add in sub par fuel economy and premium fuel and that totally takes it out of the market for most people. If you notice, most Legacy GT's on the road are 2005-2006's. Ever since gas went crazy, Gt sales have taken a hit.

I almost traded our 2002 Impreza for a Legacy 2.5i, but, my wife did not like it that much. She prefers an Outback. I'm glad she did not go with the Legacy because the rear is no bigger then the Impreza, and the trunk is very small. With a new born baby in the house, the Legacy sedan just does not suit our needs. We are holding out until I can rob a pre-owned Outback at the auction!
  • james108james108 Member Posts: 34
    Yes,
    I also feel Camry's suspension too soft, but it's not right if you take it out of consideration. It's been #1 seller for years for some reason. You should try testing all and read all the bad reviews to find out what you like and dislike. Yes, I found bad reviews are more useful to avoid a car that you won't like. I have owned many different cars and currently have bmw and toyota for their best value in different way.
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Suspension in Camry LE soft for a simple reason - it's buyers want cushy and quiet ride for a car that is not as heavy as a Cadillac. For firmer and sportier ride try Camry SE trim.
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    No offense, but putting a sport suspension on a car doesn't make it a "sport sedan" by any means. The Camry was tuned to be a midsize land yacht. Therefore, it handles with the agility and feedback equivilant to that of a cruise liner. Instead, the Camry SE sticks out even more because the SE trim is a "land yacht with a sport suspension". That just doesn't make sense. When I drove it, I noticed that I didn't get any feedback through the wheel on the SE model, but I felt everything through the body of the car. It was awful! You can't put a sport suspension on a car and expect it to be called a sport sedan. There's more to it then that. The Camry SE is NOT a sport sedan... not by a mile.

If you want a sportier sedan, buy an Accord, Altima, Mazda6, etc. If you want a car that soaks up road imperfections and transmits nothing to the driver, get a Sonata or a Camry. Unfortunately, the Camry SE doesn't belong in either of these categories.
  • james108james108 Member Posts: 34
    That's correct. I have Camry LE and Solara SE. The LE is comfy and the SE is a bit sportier. If it's possible, go try BMW............. What you pay is what you get.... I never drove Mazda, but have owned Honda and Nissan before.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    No offense, but putting a sport suspension on a car doesn't make it a "sport sedan" by any means. The Camry was tuned to be a midsize land yacht. Therefore, it handles with the agility and feedback equivilant to that of a cruise liner. Instead, the Camry SE sticks out even more because the SE trim is a "land yacht with a sport suspension". That just doesn't make sense.

I think what you are trying to say is that there is more than just shocks and springs to make a sport sedan. I agree with that, but I do think its a good start. Having a suspension that makes the car feel responsive (in addition to good steering feedback and tires that communicate road feel to the driver) are a big part of a "sport sedan."

I think for most, the Legacy would be considered "too" sporty (the ride is very responsive, but you do feel more of the road), but I enjoy that car. I think my '07 Accord still has pretty masked steering, sorry tires, and is higher than the Subaru, so I don't see a whole lot of sport in that. I am hoping that shocks/springs/bars will change that a bit.
    I would disagree with you about the sportiness of the Legacy. While it does have a "sporty" nature about it, the Mazda6 and Nissan Altima are far sportier then it. The Legacy has heavy steering, lots of body roll and average braking. AWD, in this case, does not translate into great handling. The Legacy GT Spec B does have better handling, however, it carries a price tag of low to mid $30's, limited availability, premium fuel and sub par fuel economy.

The Legacy was considered by my wife as a replacement for her Impreza, however, the rear seat room is not much bigger and the trunk room is nearly the same as the Impreza. She really wants an Outback, so, when I can find a good deal at the auction, I will grab one.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    What is the point of "sportiness" anyway.Unless you plan to make high speed turns(dangerous) or race it at LeMans(unlikely) what is the point. I would think that economy,comfort and value would override sportiness to most reasonable drivers.
    I have a relatively new (2006.5) KIa Optima EX and it is not considered "sporty" yet it makes turns well, brakes well and is reasonably comfortable.At the same times it retails well under $25K with leather and with all the options that are available(except for a spoiler). It has a 4 cyl engine, and is easy to drive.What more could a person want?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    What is the point of "sportiness" anyway.

It has a 4 cyl engine, and is easy to drive.What more could a person want?

It sounds like you'd enjoy a car made by Toyota... or Broyhill. :) Kidding (well, sort-of).

How about a little bit of fun? The ability to take a twisty road and not have wishy-washy body motions to squelch the fun. Having steering that is well-weighted with some road feel to get an idea of what the car is actually doing.

Some people just want to get where they're going comfortably. Others want to get there comfortably, but actually enjoy the driving experience. I'm not knocking people who don't care about sportiness, because obviously, the Camry sells in droves and its mainstream models (LE, XLE) don't have a sporty bone in their unibody. That works for a lot of people; it's like driving... only decaf.

As for me, I like comfort and practicality, while at least having the ability to zip around town or down the river-road (twisty, 40-50 MPH with a speed limit that is probably set a little high at 45 MPH; lots of tight turns with 25MPH yellow "caution" signs on the curves. When I take that road, I know I can take the corner and the suspension and steering won't play dead. :)

I'm not a dangerous driver, as my spotless driving record and high gas mileage speaks for itself. I do appreciate a car with some athleticism though, even if it doubles as a carpool vehicle during the week. :D
    "sportiness" is not defined by high speed driving dynamics. The fact is, many us us (hopefully) don't drive our cars like they are a race car. The point is that many of us want out car to respond with virtually no effort for it makes us feel more connected with the road. I, for one, like to get a little excitement out of my drive. Many cars have spongy brakes, floaty suspension, squeal tires in turns, have lots of body roll, and have a soft steering feel. I don't like that. It makes me feel unsafe.

You can get economy, value AND sportiness in a few vehicles out there. Altima and Mazda6 come to mind. For many, a car that drives like my grandmothers Buick is a waste of money.

I have a 2005 Mazda6 4cyl mtx with 45,000 miles. It has handling compared to a BMW 3 series, best in class brake performance, reliable, good fuel economy (not class leading, but good enough for me), classic styling (IMO) and still turns heads when I'm driving. I bought it with a Bose Audio system, leather/heated seats, moon roof. I bought is for just over $20,000. That is tremendous value. For me, that is what I want. In my case, this is far superior to a Kia Optima. I'm not saying the Kia Optima is not a bad car, it's just the wrong car for me.
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    "sportiness" is not defined by high speed driving dynamics. . . The point is that many of us want out car to respond with virtually no effort for it makes us feel more connected with the road. I, for one, like to get a little excitement out of my drive. Many cars have spongy brakes, floaty suspension, squeal tires in turns, have lots of body roll, and have a soft steering feel. I don't like that. It makes me feel unsafe.

Exactly. This is why I find a base Fusion sportier than a base Mustang. It responds better to the touch, it communicates better with me, so I know in advance what the car will do when I apply brakes and steering simultaneously. Plus, I can see out of it, which means I can drive more alertly and can extract the car's best from it (either recreationally or in an emergency) without having to wonder where the corners are.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I would disagree with you about the sportiness of the Legacy. While it does have a "sporty" nature about it, the Mazda6 and Nissan Altima are far sportier then it. The Legacy has heavy steering, lots of body roll and average braking. AWD, in this case, does not translate into great handling.

Excepting that the Subaru Legacy wagon beat the Mazda6 in the slalom...so perhaps its not that bad handling of a wagon. Are you talking about the Outback or perhaps individual differences?

With a price tag of 20k for the 2.5i wagon and the bevy of safety, comfort and convenience items, the Subaru made a lot of sense for us. I also have liked the 2700 lbs of towing capacity when I have needed to bring home furniture or got carried away with a home improvement project.

I have also found the AWD to be particularly helpful in inclement weather. Experience in snow, mud and rain has been very favorable. I have also found the fuel economy to be reasonable; I have been tracking my FE on "gas buddy" for the last 8k or so.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    putting a sport suspension on a car doesn't make it a "sport sedan" by any means.

Yeah!...putting a wing on the back (especially for cars that have FWD) is what does it ;)
    What test did the Legacy out handle the Mazda6 or Altima? My Mazda6 runs circles around my wife's Impreza. My wife and I drove a 2007 2.5i sedan, and it did not handle as well as her Impreza. It was smother, quieter and had a much nicer interior. However, interior room is very lacking. It's really no bigger then her Impreza in terms of leg room, hip room or shoulder room, especially the rear. I actually like the exterior design, and interior appointments, a lot! The car is just too small.

The only thing I like about her car is the winter driving ability. Other then that, it sucks. It has had so many problems (head gasket blown at 50K, replaced faulty fuel lines at 58K, hard shifting 2nd gear that is still not rectified, replaced heat shield, cracked intake manifold, 3 O2 sensors) interior trim pieces broken (cup holder above radio, arm rest). It gets an average of 20-22mpg. Currently, it has just over 70K on it.

If you look at Consumer Reports, any Subaru's 2004 and older are a disaster. Black circles for engine major, engine minor, transmission major and transmission minor. I know there are many that absolutely love their Subi's, but for as many great stories, I have heard many horror stories of which I add mine too and my Subaru service department attests too. The newer ones seem to be much better.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    And stickers....... :blush:
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    The Mazda6 and Altima are the definition of "economy sport sedans" They both have powerful V6's available, come standard with a sporty suspension, and they can each be equipped with all sorts of gadgets and luxuries that up until recently were only found on luxury brands like Lexus and BMW. And even though they are sporty, they are still comfortable for long trips.

I like the Altima because it communicates to me what I'm driving on and tells me very clearly what the limits of the car are. It gives you a since of confidence on the road so that you're alert and able to keep your mind on the drive. It also means that you can throw the car into corners fairly easily as well, and you never lose confidence of what the car's limits are. I remember driving an '05 Camry a couple years ago, and I really liked it. However, I also remember that I didn't feel a connection to the road, so I found myself slowing down more at the turns because I was never quite sure when the car was going to lose grip and slide.

The Camry has its niche. It's for people that don't want to know what they're driving on. They would prefer to feel like they're riding on a cloud than to know what they're riding on. People that would purchase a Camry LE usually believe that hearing and feeling the road is a sign of "imperfection" in the car, where as people that would purchase an Altima or Mazda6 believe that if they don't know what they're driving on, they are not fully in control of the car.

The Accord and Malibu seem to strike a good balance between "sportiness" and "comfortable", which is great. But after experiencing "comfortable" in my Toyota Solara for several years, I can honestly say that I'd rather feel more in control of a car than just along for the ride. It makes life more exciting. :shades:
    Could we this transmission find duty in American Honda vehicles soon? I'd love to find out...

From Temple of Vtec's Report on the Paris Auto Show:

As well as a 5-speed manual gearbox, the 1.4-litre engine can be teamed up with Honda's latest i-SHIFT transmission, first introduced in the Civic range. The first time a 6-speed automated manual transmission has been offered in this vehicle class, the gearbox offers better fuel economy than is possible with either a true automatic or a CVT (continuously variable transmission). The unit is a development of the system first fitted to the Civic, with improvements made including; reduced gear change times, smoother shifts and more intelligent automatic mode shift logic.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    My wife and I have been looking at midsize AWD sedans. In the mountains of Colorado, AWD is extremely useful. We looked at the Infiniti G35x, BMW 328xi, Audi A4 quattro, Lincoln MKZ awd, and Mercedes C300 4matic. The Infiniti seemed to be a good value for the money, but the back seat doesn't fold down: a requirement for us. The BMW, Merc, and Audi are nice cars but pricey; not enough of a thrill for me to be worth the money they are asking. Not having an autobahn nearby, you are paying for the label on them. The MKZ is an excellent value with current incentives, but the interior has a dated appearance and the big chrome grill is a turn off to us. If we were to pursue this further, the Ford Fusion would be a consideration; nice exterior appearance, but I'm guessing the interior is rather generic. A used MazdaSpeed6 would be a good choice, but my wife wants an automatic. Conclusion: With the economy the way it is, we are going to wait until January and re-assess the market.
    Take a look at the 2010 MKZ - it will be unveiled at the L.A. Auto show next month. It gets a new interior very similar to the MKS plus some nice exterior updates as well.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The MKZ is an excellent value with current incentives, but the interior has a dated appearance and the big chrome grill is a turn off to us. If we were to pursue this further, the Ford Fusion would be a consideration; nice exterior appearance, but I'm guessing the interior is rather generic.

As akirby mentioned the MKZ will be freshened inside and out for 2010 and it's supposed to hit showrooms in December or January last I heard. Same goes for the Fusion and Milan. All 3 will have interiors very similar to the Flex, at least the center stack anyway, and what I would call sportier looking exteriors.

I agree with you on all of your other points except for the used Speed6. I did look at those a couple of years ago when I bought my Mustang and I don't see how the Summer tires it came with would work at all in the snow even with AWD. A lot of Speed6 forum members felt the same way and recommend snow tires for those in the winter. You could put all seasons on it I guess, but then you lose some of the handling.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Thanks, I'll be looking for the LA Auto Show write up and pictures to see what changes will be made. If Ford doesn't support Lincoln/Mercury better it will soon be extinct.

Baggs32: Yes, the Speed6 would need a winter tire combination. The original tires are summer treads.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The new Acura TL-S will have SH-AWD, and is due to come out in November.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Didn't edmunds say it was $42K? A bit above the average mid-size sedan.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    My wife and I have been looking at midsize AWD sedans. In the mountains of Colorado, AWD is extremely useful. We looked at the Infiniti G35x, BMW 328xi, Audi A4 quattro, Lincoln MKZ awd, and Mercedes C300 4matic.

I think these cars are above the average mid-size sedan too. :confuse: And from what I've read, the TL-S sounds better than all of them.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    If I were in the moutains of Colorado the 335xi would be for me.
  • marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    I'm thinking of buying my 16 y/o son a 2009 Ford Fusion, primarily because it seems to be the least expensive mid-size sedan to receive a top safety rating from IIHS, with the optional ESC. I don't see a lot of posts on the Fusion, anyone have an opinion? I'd rather not buy him a brand new car, but the ESC seems to be an important accident avoidance feature, based on the fatality rates for teen drivers, and it's hard to find older cars with that feature, unless you go to an older luxury model, then you have premium gas and high maintenance costs to worry about. I'd welcome any other opinions, just trying to explore all my options.
    If you're interested in ESC, check out a one or two year old Hyundai Sonata. It has excellent safety ratings, offers ESC, and should be available for well under $15,000 depending on how many miles and how it is equipped. They're a great value.
    grad-

you beat me to it!. The Sonata is a great buy, especially for what mary236 is looking for.
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    If I was you I would not spend that kind of money on a 16 year old kid. Contact your ins agent first what would be the cheapest car to ins because the ins rates for inexperienced teen drivers is crazy ;) . My first car when I was 16 in 1967 was a 1963 Dodge Dart. Do not spend more than $7500 for a first car !!!!!!!!!!!
  • marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    Well, I'd rather spend $7500, but for that price, I can't get side impact air bags and electronic stability control, and good crash ratings, at least, not that I've been able to find. The fact that it's likely he will have an accident, based on statistics, is why I want these safety features. The leading cause of death for boys between 16 and 25 is car accidents. I'd like to keep him alive, and whole, at least until he's 18 (little humor there), for the least amount of money. We live across town from his HS, so he has about a 30 mile round trip on the interstate to get to school and back, he needs something safe and reliable.

I thought about a 2006 or 2007 Sonata, it does not have the best IIHS ratings in side impact crashes (only average, instead of good, like the Fusion), but it would cost less.

How accurate are the IIHS ratings, does anyone know? Are cars with higher ratings really a lot safer?
    The IIHS results are valid and there can be significant differences in a specific accident situation. The problem is the tests are very limited and do not cover a wide range of real accident situations - different speeds, different size vehicles, different barriers, weather, etc. so it's hard to actually predict real world performance.

In the end you have to do what you think is right because you're the one who has to live with the decision.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    Took my 05 mazda6 in for an oil change today and after drooling a bit over the new 6 in the showroom, I ended taking one for a drive. Very nice, comfy ride... very good fit and finish. Not quite as sharp handling wise compared to my older 6, but then again it handles bumps better and is quieter. Plus back seat room is huge compared to mine. For a v-6 grand touring minus my trade in, the 09 would end up being around 16k which seems pretty fair. By the way, I went to Ron Tonkin in Portland and these guys were great to deal with. Super easy and very nice guys which I can't say about any other car buying experience I've had!

But... no manual tranny and no hatchback which my current 6 has and which I love. Thing is, I really like my current 6, but I've been getting the sense that a new, less edgy car is in order for my life now. If they had a hatch, I'd have a new car in my driveway now, but they don't. My mom just bought a car in this class a month or two ago (before the new 6 was out) and we drove many cars. I drove the Accord, Altima, Azera, Sonata, Camry (yuck!), and an 08 Maxima (the car my mom ended up getting). The 09 mazda6 is the winner in my eyes ... the Maxima comes in a close 2nd, but I prefer the 6. Besides, I'm not going to get the same car as my mom!

Anyways... I'm amazed I'm even considering this. Went in for an oil change and almost bought a car.... What do you think?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    My dad one time came to visit me at work and asked if I wanted to see his new car. I said, "Geez, Dad, the Caddy you just bought is only two months old, why would you buy a new one?" He said, "the ashtray got full!" Had me for a minute.

Actually, my parents car was stolen in a Detroit mall parking lot and they got a new one from insurance. So I guess dirty oil is a good excuse too!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That is why it is dangerous to take your car to a dealer for oil changes. A simple oil change can cost you over $20,000. ;)
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    On Saturday, I went to New Country Mazda in Saratoga (while visiting the in-laws), and was able to drive the '09 6S Touring.

The salesperson went to find the specific model on the lot, so I wasn’t able to start it myself, but it sure was whisper-quiet when it pulled up. I didn’t even notice it until I turned to see it right in front of me. This is my first exposure to the cloth/leather seats, and I like them. I’m still not used to the gray steering wheel in a black interior, but the wheel itself fell easily to hand, and the rim thickness was luckily retained from the first-gen car. The steering-wheel controls will take a little getting used to, but they’re easily reached without removing my hands from the 9 and 3 position, something I can’t say about the ’07 Altima 2.5S that my wife drives.

Other comparisons: The interior as a whole is a vast improvement over just about anything else I’ve driven, let alone in this class. The orange-and-blue gauges are easy to read, and all other controls are logically placed and intuitive. An excellent compromise between the stark, minimum-controlled dash of the Altima, and the 58 different buttons scattered on the Accord’s dash.

My father-in-law and brother-in-law were with me, so the four of us piled into the car (yes, all four of us, more on that later). The in–laws in the back seat both were impressed with the room, easily getting comfortable, unlike my ’04 6, which my father-in-law never has enough legroom.

And we’re off. Acceleration was smooth, without any hesitation or hiccup. The V6 definitely has more HP and torque compared to the 3.0L, even with the automatic and four adults, the power was effortless, and getting up to speed was easy even with only a slight amount of pedal travel. Maneuvering around the auto mall complex was a breeze, and the shorter turning-circle was VERY evident (and welcome!)

Driving on suburban roads, the steering wheel felt nicely weighted, with plenty of feedback. Unlike others, I didn’t sense any on-center dead spot, it felt tight from lock to lock, similar to my ’04. Brakes were excellent (as with every Mazda I’ve driven), and offered nice feedback.

After four to five blocks, the salesperson guided me back to the dealer, not allowing me to take it onto the Northway, saying that he had “an appointment” and we didn’t have enough time. No, I wasn’t happy, and I remembered why my in-laws never bought a car from New Country.

It was nice, but I wanted more, and I got it.

Yesterday, I went to the local dealer (Burdick), and tested both a 6I GT and 6S GT, back to back, without any salesperson! I drove both cars through the same 16 mile route, with highway and backroads sprinkled in with the city streets.

The 4-cylinder was a decent engine, with good power, and a vast improvement over the 2.3L with auto. Steering and brakes felt similar to the Touring, but there’s still an obvious difference between the 4-cylinder and V6 in terms of handling and control. Cutting apexes was still easy, but I did feel more body roll than my ’04 with V6.

The S GT was a whole different experience from the I GT. The V6 was quiet and docile around town, but it moved when you wanted it to, with a nice, throaty growl. Passing on the highway was effortless, even with the slushbox, and I was easily the first car from a red light, without even trying. Chirping the tires was easy, but I didn’t feel any torque steer at any time, not bad for 272 HP and 269 lb-ft. of torque. The added weight became apparent on the backroads, with more body roll than the 4-cylinder. A LOT of the blame goes to the miserable Michelins that Mazda AGAIN saddles us with. Even the 18” tires squealed early and often, and rode loudly on certain surfaces.

Final impression: The power from the V6 is immense and easy to control. Steering and braking is still excellent, better than any Accord or Altima could even dream of. I’ll admit that the handling isn’t as good as the first-gen, which I’m not very thrilled about, but a better set of tires would go a long way (but not all the way) to fix that. Although it’s no BMW, it still feels more involving than an Accord or Altima, and the HUGE improvements in both the drivetrains and interior are very appreciated.
  • pengwinpengwin Member Posts: 74
    why midsized?

look at a jetta or a subaru legacy/outback
    You'll pay as much for those (and probably get lower mileage) as the other midsizers, these days.
    A dealer found some 2010 Fusion details in the ordering system. The order banks supposedly open next week. Production begins in December. Looks like they'll be offering base, SE and SEL trims with the 2.5L I4 for the FWD models and improved 3.0L V6 (240 hp) for the AWD models. A new Sport model will be offered in both FWD and AWD trim with the 3.5L V6 (265 hp). A 2.5L hybrid is also available. All models get 6 speed transmissions now including the manual (probably still only available on the I4).

New options include blind spot detection, rear-view camera and a new Sony audio system (presumably to replace the old audiophile system).
    Looks like Ford can thank Mazda for both the 2.5L engine and the blind spot detection system.

I'm interested in seeing the new Fusion.

This proves to me that Ford selling their stake in Mazda is a dumb idea....
    Looks like Ford can thank Mazda for both the 2.5L engine and the blind spot detection system.

For the latter they can both thank Volvo. But since they own them they can thank themselves. :P
    They will continue to work together with Mazda even if they sell it. It's not like they have any real control over what Mazda does now anyway.

I don't think one can necessarily "thank" the other - they share a lot of technology both ways.

Although I guess Mazda could thank Ford for the Tribute since it is just a rebadge.
    The first gen Tribute was a co-developed by Ford and Mazda. The Tribute actually came out before the Escape. The newer Tribute is a Ford design......

I know they share technology....lot's of it....however, the Fusion has a lot more Mazda influence then Ford....
    That's true..I forgot Volvo has had it for a few years now....

Oh, about Ford owning Mazda.....might not be fore long....latest rumor is they will sell up to 20%....
    What about the B-series (Ranger) and Explorer (Navajo)?

Ford doesn't "own" Mazda anyway - only 33%. I don't foresee any changes in the working relationship either way.
    I'm well aware of their relationship.....perhaps the phrase "controlling share holder" should have been more appropriate...BTW, 33.4% is what Ford owns. ;)

There continues to be talks about Ford selling their shares, again, I think it's dumb.....even if a sale were to take place, the integration and sharing of technology will continue for years.

The B-series is a rebadge, and the name is a carry over from when Mazda actually imported their own pick-up to North America. The rest of the world still gets a true Mazda pick-up. Mazda sells about 1,000 copies of the B-series per year. I have no idea why the continue to offer it :confuse:

The Navajo was also a rebadged 1st gen Explorer, but, I think we all knew that.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    not that many years ago - mid/late 80s I think - when Mazda was asked to develop a replacement for the venerable Mustang - the Probe\MX - this was the first of Ford and Mazda working together - perhaps too closely - because IMO it has hurt Mazda. Mazda had been a pioneer in alternative engine types (Wankel/ Atkinson cycle) and with Ford's influence that largely stopped. At the time the 4 bangers came from Mazda and were generally preferrable to the antiquated (Vulcan) V6s that Ford contributed. That the new 2.5 is from Mazda and that the 'new' DT 3.5 (or 3.7) is from Ford shouldn't surprise anybody. I agree with you - better ideas come from Mazda (not Ford)
    I agree with you - better ideas come from Mazda (not Ford)

I don't think anyone would disagree with that. However without Ford's deep pockets, Mazda might not exist right now and certainly none of those better ideas would ever have been funded.

I don't see them sharing platforms in the future if the sale happens. I do see them sharing engineering notes though. For example, no more Tribute (re-badge), but a Mazda6 based mid-sized CUV/SUV, read Edge, would be likely. Even the engines could be workable too. Mazda basically takes a solid Ford block and smooths it out. I can't see any reason that would stop post-sale.

I could be totally wrong so take that with a grain of salt. ;)
    In the 80's and 90's, Ford had deeeeeeep pockets and did indeed save Mazda. However, with rumors of an impending sale, it's quite obvious that there is nothing but spare change and lint left in those pockets.....
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    However without Ford's deep pockets, Mazda might not exist right now and certainly none of those better ideas would ever have been funded
    Mazda was certainly in some serious financial difficullty in the 70s I guess, and also was a rather innovation and independent company both of which were severely limited when Ford takes control and starts 'sharing' what it wants and discarding what it doesn't.
    Some semi-interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda

It would have been much better for Ford to have done what Renault, for example, did with Nissan a few years later - Nissan didn't lose its identity like Mazda did and has.
    Drive a Mazda and then drive a Ford that was built on a similar platform or shares technology, and you will see they could not be more separate in terms of identity. They are really night and day.