Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I used to do it in Chicago, Try as I might though to keep it in gear, some [non-permissible content removed] would always zip in front of me and hit the brakes. Makes it hard to keep from holding in clutch. You know if people would just learn patience and keep a good distance from each other, and stay in their flippin lanes, traffic would move so much better and driving a stick wouldn't be such a chore. I would rather move at a steady 10-20 mph, than stop go up to 30 for a few moments and stop again.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    edited March 2010
    I am curious to see what kind of traffic the Toyota exhibit has this year. Usually it's one of the biggest displays, and full of people.

If it's like the recent Syracuse Auto Show that happened the weekend after Super Bowl, it'll be quiet.

Toyota had the largest square-foot area at the show, with fifteen different vehicles. The only people there were local dealer salespeople staring at their literature or the floor, trying to keep themselves occupied. The general public was huddled in the Ford and Hyundai sections next to them. Both had half the area of Toyota's display, but had at least three times the foot traffic at any given time.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    When I say stop-n-go,it was mostly stop, so yes - it was gridlock. Happens a lot in Atlanta. If traffic had been moving enough to keep it in gear moving slowly then I would have done that. Like I said - I drove manuals for years, in traffic and normally it wasn't a problem. This was an exception but it's one I did not want to repeat.

Nobody is suggesting that you can't drive a stick in traffic or that you should switch to autos so I don't understand why you keep harping on it.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It's less over three years by $2100, assuming you are buying strictly on price and assuming the figures for the cars the op will purchase is correct. Other than that you still have to live with the car.
    I agree with you. I drove a manual for 12 years and had enough. I would buy a car, a BMW, as a second car with a manual, but my daily driver will never be an manual.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    and sales tax will be less also.

I think in a lot of states you pay sales tax on the total sales price before the rebate comes off. Could be different in OP state though. Just a thought.
    Take a close look at the Kizashi o/s rear mirrors(size) and the huge S emblem in grill and on steering wheel. Look at the fonts on the radio display. Interested in your take. Also check out the interior cubbies or lack thereof in the Lacrosse. Might be just me but it seemed like there was hardly anyplace to store stuff besides under the armrest. Also interested in your thoughts on the interior of the upgraded Altima. I think they raised their game a lot. No other assignments. Have a great time at the auto show. I did in Chicago.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Until now, I've been largely indifferent to Subaru, but I find the new Legacy sedan very attractive. I've ridden in a friend's new Outback & was impressed by its roominess & composure. (My sister, who lives in New England, has an older Outback that I drive whenever I visit her, so I'm familiar with the previous generation.)

Since I'm a sedan guy, I'd go for the Legacy over the Outback. And although I'm a bit of a manual tranny bigot, I'd confuse friends & enemies alike by opting for the 3.6 liter 6, which can be had only with an auto.

Is anyone else attracted to this car? I'll give the new design at least a year to season, so I won't make any move before 2011 at the earliest.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I've been much more taken by the previous version (2005-2009/10) version of the car, especially in 4 cylinder turbo form. I really regret not getting the Legacy 2.5 GT wagon instead of our 2.5i wagon. At the time, both were available with a manual transmission to boot. Prior to 2005, I didn't care for the styling of the Legacy sedan or wagon at all. I also really have no warm fuzzy for the Outback, which is basically a passenger car with goofy tires and a jacked up suspension.
    I do think the previous generation Legacy GT sedan is yet another car I should have purchased instead of the '07 Accord. Ah buyer's remorse :P
    edited March 2010
    I liked the Legacy a lot when sat in it at the Chicago auto sale recently and I also like the looks when I see one on the road. Since I'm still very gunshy of CVTs(probably just old fashioned) I like the combo of the 3.6 with the regular auto. Wish it got a little better mpg and a little more oomph for a V6 but still a great looking, feeling and solid auto. The interior upgrades w/ leather, nav etc really push the price but also the ambience up to "near" luxury feel.

The interior of the old Legacy was just too tight feeling in the shoulder room for me and the interior quality was a little lacking.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, in MN you pay sales tax post-rebates. :D
    Frankly I don't think I'd be interested in the LaCrosse--just not my kind of car. I am more interested in the Regal. I'll look at the LaCrosse but would be surprised if I went into a swoon over it.

If big "S" emblems are the worst thing about the Kizashi, I won't mind. My bigger concern is scarcity of dealers and long-term support. Will Suzuki survive in the U.S. market? I think that is a realistic question.

I am curious to see how the Altima has been improved. I thought the old interior was only OK. From other comments, it appears to have been significantly upgraded.
    edited March 2010
    Unless it's literally gridlock, you can easily let a little lag develop so that you can creep in first gear for hundreds of yards or even miles at a time.

I think that is where there is a little disconnect in this discussion. You see in the NE and Midwest we have things called snowstorms and they happen quite often between Dec. 1 through about April 15. When they hit anytime around rush hour, am or pm, in a city of any size there is almost automatic gridlock. There is no lugging along at 5 mph in 1st gear. It's stop and go and mostly on the stop side. I admit it sucks but it's reality. I have driven often in LA on business and it's bad but add 6"-10" of snow to the equation and you too would have a limp left leg no matter how expert you are at driving a manual.

I grew up on a farm, drove fuel truck and a lot of military vehicles besides manual autos and motorcycles. It's not brain surgery to try to pace yourself in traffic so you don't have to shift a lot. I will say, however, that I have never counted the number of times I have shifted especially during rush hour traffic. Who does that??? Anyway, there are a few benefits to a stick in the right situation. It's just that for most of us that just doesn't happen to be case.
  • ledzepplinledzepplin Member Posts: 41
    I hate to disillusion you but the Hyundai 100k warranty is a joke. If you miss ANY aspect of the warranty it is voided. I have a good friend who works for a Hyundai dealer (Hyundai only) and he is suing for back pay. This may or may not be an indication of the quality of the Hyundai dealers. The warranty is another "gimmick" used to get the unknowing into the showroom. :surprise:
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    I hate to disillusion you but the Hyundai 100k warranty is a joke. If you miss ANY aspect of the warranty it is voided. I have a good friend who works for a Hyundai dealer (Hyundai only) and he is suing for back pay. This may or may not be an indication of the quality of the Hyundai dealers. The warranty is another "gimmick" used to get the unknowing into the showroom.

Isn't it the same with the warranties from the other car makers?
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    edited March 2010
    Heh. I counted just because I thought it might be interesting to see exactly how much I "wear out my leg". Maybe it's also specific to certain cars as well(my first gear is very short, which probably helps). Mine will keep in first without the clutch engaged down to a bit less than 1mph. Snow or uphill makes it easier in fact, since the extra resistance means I can keep the RPMs up a little and actually keep it running with just my foot on the throttle. While almost completely stopped. I don't know exactly how that is, but we're talking a foot or two per second.

If I'm stopped for more than a couple of seconds, there also is neutral... :P

Yes, people do try to creep in. There is a little bit of a game envolved in keeping about 15 ft between you and the next car. Enough so that you don't have to hit the brakes and nothing short of a Smart Car dares to squeeze in front of you(evil grin - that would be one DUMB Smart Car considering my 4200lb 4x4 truck that would probably run it over without a scratch)

EDIT - #1 reason I'll never buy a Smart Car? I'm driving the Smart Car Terminator(tm) and know what it would do to one. :P
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Ok. We're all absolute idiots who don't know how to drive a manual. We get it. MOVE ON!
  • ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    I'll never drive a Smart Car for the same reason, I want to be alive.
    Smart Car Terminator(tm) saves money of Smart Car drivers. How? No need for a coffin:)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The comments of an anonymous poster (you) about a "friend" who may or may not:
    1. exist or...
    2 work for Hyundai
    tells us nothing at all about the validity of Hyundai's warranty. If this person exists and does work for a dealer, AND is having to sue for back pay the most that can be said is that particular dealer is screwing their employees somehow and is a bad employer. It means nothing in the larger context!! The joke is that somehow you tie all this together to make the "point" that the warranty is nothing but a gimmick. By the way ALL manufacturers require that certain conditions are met (that is, specific requirements as outlined in the owners manual are followed) before authorizing warranty work. You can't ignore oil changes, periodic inspections, filter changes, minor adjustments etc then come back and demand a new engine or transmission when you run it dry. Get real! This is a universal truth for any auto manufacturer.
  • bokonon3bokonon3 Member Posts: 20
    I rented a 4 cylinder version of the new Subaru Legacy sedan two weeks ago, and was less than impressed by its performance. It was singularly pokey - you could literally floor the accelerator and then wait for several seconds before the car responded. The 3.6 liter six may be more responsive than that - even with an automatic transmission. But still ... I just wasn't impressed.

Granted, I am not a particular fan of Subaru. I had bad luck with a 2000 Legacy Outback that I used to own - the car had a lot of first year model manufacturing bugs and recalls, and it was expensive to maintain (even before it started developing the common head gasket issues that plague Subaru boxer engines). It needed significant engine repairs at just 75K miles, so I got rid of it.

Agree that it would be a good idea to wait on the new Legacy until 2011. But I would seriously look at the competition (particularly Ford and Hyundai - the Fusion is a very solid car, and the new Hyundai Sonata is a knockout).
    I rented a 4 cylinder version of the new Subaru Legacy sedan two weeks ago, and was less than impressed by its performance. It was singularly pokey - you could literally floor the accelerator and then wait for several seconds before the car responded.

Yeah, the 4 cylinder non-turbo barely cuts it in our smaller/lighter wagon with the manual; I think a bigger vehicle with a CVT would be painful. I don't feel like it's underpowered, but I don't feel like it has any extra either.
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    I also wonder about "old fogies" getting into these sporty new cars. Two years ago I bought my first motorcycle and passed my Ca.DMV M1 test. This year I am buying the 2011 SE, but I am only 72 as of January 30th. Don't know what I might try when I get old. I admit that I decided the sun roof and Nav pac was just too dad burn highfalootin for me.I will take the bar-b-q over the micky wave any day..Caseybru
    Smart Car Terminator(tm) saves money of Smart Car drivers. How? No need for a coffin:)

Heh, Mine's an old 4Runner with three inch steel bull bars, skid plates, and a whole slew of other 4x4 goodies on it(all well used and in various stages of rust, thankyouverymuch). Yet I'm not nearly the largest thing out there. Maybe the oldest and most anti-yuppie thing in my town, but no way am I the largest. I figure 1 out of every 3 vehicles I see is a pickup, SUV, large mega-van(not so mini-van any more are they...), or worse yet, a delivery van or commercial vehicle.

You seriously have about a 1:3 chance of something larger hitting you in an accident in a normal car. In a Yaris, it's a disaster waiting to happen. But maybe you survive as the car sacrifices itself to save you... maybe. Not happening in a Smart.

It's also why as much as I adore small cars, I won't dare drive anything that's not at least the size of a Accord or other midsize sedan. Oh - I looked at the new Lexus crossover (RX 350?) and was actually impressed for the first time. Quite a decent vehicle. But I got the impression that the dashboard weighs more than the doors on the Smart...

Not sure whether it fits here, though - probably not. But it WAS a nice midsize 4 door car/suv "thing".
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    I'm not surprised to hear that the 4-cylinder auto Legacy is a slowpoke. It's a heavy car - probably too much car for that engine. I've never owned a 4-cylinder car with an automatic transmission & I'm reluctant to start now. Fuel economy isn't a high priority because I commute via public transportation, & the train station is just 3 miles away.

Still, I'll look closely at the Sonata. It is, as you say, a knockout & no one shopping in this market segment can ignore it. Although I used to say that I'd rather have a used Toyota than a new Hyundai, I'm not reluctant to eat those words. Hyundai has clearly arrived.

About the Fusion: it's an attractive car - arguably the best mid-sized Ford sedan to date - but my wife would not let me buy another Ford. She hated the only Ford we've ever owned - a Taurus that we bought in the early 90s. It wasn't a bad car - we kept it for 13 years (7 years as her car followed by a 6-year stint as my station car) - but to her it was just too big, crude & homely compared to the Japanese cars that preceded & followed it. I could sell her on almost anything else, but I think I'd be exiled to the couch if I brought home a Ford.

In any case, I'm in no hurry. It's our family financial policy not to buy a new car until we can pay cash for it. The thought of writing that big check makes us cautious, deliberative buyers. It's easier to do nothing at all. Right now, I think that I'll go into the market next year, but when next year rolls around, the odds are better than 50/50 that I'll decide to wait another year.
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    Hello my name is Gary, I will try to keep this short and polite. I have
    been skipping around all over the net, on several forums and here
    of course. I actually own a Hyundai, a Se V6 Sonata "and a very
    good vehicle I might add", not sure what you own to drive if anything???
    Is what your saying about the 100k warranty experience or hear say.
    And you may have a friend that works for a certain dealership that
    sells only Hyundais, what does that have anything to do with warranty?
    Sure as with any other car makers warranties, you screw up and not
    take care of your auto "YOU" threw it away!!! The people that work on
    these vehicles are not stupid as you make think. If they get a piece
    of junk in and it's obvious everything has been neglected, what do you
    expect. I did mechanic work, I can tell in about 5 minutes how that
    engines been treated. Example pull the dip stick out, wipe the oil
    off and look at the stick itself. If you see a dark brown shilack build
    up that won't easily wipe off, guess what? "yep you right"!

As for as your friend and his back-pay that could mean many
    things, as in "nothing to me".

Now do you think me and all these other people that read and post
    on here would be ignorant enough to buy a car brand that don't stick
    behind their products. Give us a break man, not all of us like to
    be insulted. Please think about what you want to post here, we
    are educated people, I can also read between the lines, don't
    try that either. OK. Give us some constructive critisism you also
    have the right to your own opinion! Have a nice weekend sir or miss.

I knew I couldn't shut-up!!! LOL :)
    edited March 2010
    Well, the auto show hasn't even started yet and already I am disappointed with it. I went to their web site to check out a discount ticket offer (good only M-F of course), and I noticed a list of automakers participating. To my surprise, several automakers are passing up the 7th largest auto show in the U.S. Among them is Suzuki--so no Kizashi for me. :cry: But other no-shows are: BMW, Infiniti, Mitsubishi, and Porsche. All of them have been at past shows for many years. I am really surprised about BMW and Infiniti, less so for Mitsu and Porsche. And with much hinging on the success of the Kizashi, I would think Suzuki would want to show it off.

Toyota looks to have the most floorspace, across all 3 brands, then GM, then all the Ford brands, then Chrysler (gotta love 'em for trying), and then Hyundai. Hyundai's exhibit dwarfs that of Nissan--and that's w/o the Kia exhibit. Maybe lots of 2011 Sonatas to sit in. :)
    edited March 2010
    They had 3 Sonatas at the Chicago show but the GLS was on a pedestal banked at a 45 degree angle. The SE's interior is pretty close except for the leather trim on the seats so sitting in it is pretty close to the GLS I would imagine. That's pretty shocking about Suzuki. There sales are really in the dumps but I saw someplace where they were going to spend a bunch on promoting the Kizashi. Guess just not through auto shows. Infiniti as well with the new M to show off. Go figure.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Backy, please for the love of God don't tell me your talkin about the NY Auto Show? please don't!
    The GLS has several differences with the SE, including a different grille, body-color door handles, different wheels, and single exhaust. I think there's interior trim diffs besides the cloth seats.

And what's with BMW???
    Twin Cities. Relax. NY is much bigger than that I'm sure.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    oh wow :surprise: , what a relief! you scared the crap out of me! thanks for the clarification, I thought you were talking about the NY Show at the beginning of April! I didn't get to go last year for the first time in almost 12 years because I had spinal surgery the week before and I was no looking to going this year with my father! If Infiniti and BMW hadn't been there I might have ended up back in the hospital a second year in a row from a panic attack :P ;)
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    The local Hyundai dealer is one of the higher volume dealers in the south. They were selling Sonata's before much of the nation even had one. And that SE is a really nice looking car, inside and out. Wifey wanted something a little taller, so she now has a Tucson Ltd. I needed a new commuter with some interior and got an Elantra Touring SE, 5spd. Very pleased with both.

Re; the Hyundai warranty. These are my third and fourth Hyundai's, and I have never had even the slightest warranty problem with them. Admittedly, I have had very few problems, but those I had were taken care of quickly and completely. As with all manufacturers, the dealer is who the consumer works with, and the dealer can make or break the buyers satisfaction with the product.
    Re warranty. My Toyota was falling apart very late in it's life, so I don't really count it. All other cars, with the exception of two Fords, I have never had any major issues with. The Fords, both had tranny problems. One going into the fourth year and one going into the 6th year. Not really a lot of miles on them. The one going into the fourth year Ford wanted $$$ to diagnose the problem. I got rid of it. The one into the 6th year I fixed and had it for 4 more years with minor stuff, thermostats, water pump, radiator, alternator, p/s pump. Other than that it was fine.
    Yeah, I was talking about the interior because obviously I could see the exterior even though it was on the stand. Don't really know what the trim differences on the interior are though. Maybe some fake brushed chrome or something beside the seat trim.

BMW. Hmmm....rear wheel drive....March in MN(like Feb in rest of Midwest).....just a thought. ;) Can't figure that either...maybe they just don't have any new product that's exciting. I know somebody will slam me for not knowing but I really don't follow BMW much.
    They have the new 5 Series coming (mid-sized, but too pricey for this discussion). And they have a bunch of AWD sedans and SUVs, so no reason they should be shy about selling in Minnesnowta. They always had a sizable exhibit in prior years. Just strange.

Oh well, I won't be buying another BMW anytime soon, so just as well they aren't there.
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    From the April 2010 issue of Popular Mechanics, rating midsize sedans with four-cylinder engines and automatic transmissions since they make up the majority of the sales in this class:

Mazda 6 - The winner
    2nd place - Honda Accord tied with Subaru Legacy tied with Nissan Altima
    3rd place - Ford Fusion
    4th place - Chevy Malibu
    5th place - Suzuki Kizashi tied with Toyota Camry

Interesting noted; ALL cars but the Suzuki Kizashi and Toyota Camry were noted for excellent interior quality. For the Camry "The interior that was once lauded for its quality feel now seems cheaply made, with poor panel fitment and low-rent materials.
    Too bad they couldn't wait another month and include the newest member of the mid-sized sedans class in the comparo. Also, where was the Optima??
    For the Camry "The interior that was once lauded for its quality feel now seems cheaply made, with poor panel fitment and low-rent materials.

Oh? Sounds like they made an improvement over the 2009 Model. :shades:

I don't know if they reuse the displays from one show to the next, but Toyota needs to seriously find a different company to put their display together, or at least get someone to proof read what they plan to display. They have the Sienna display, the one where the man looses his cohonies, "daddy likes", on one pillar they had in rather large letters a line about their back seat entertainment center. They really need to get a better understanding of words, because duel means to fight, but what they really were trying to spell out was the dual-view video system.

Needless to say I LMFAO. I took a few pictures for posterity too.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I did some shopping around for my 2011 Sonata SE's insurance and got to $640 every 6 months with Progressive.. which I didn't think was all that bad.

Several other companies wanted to charge as much as $440 a month (are they kidding me? Thats more than the car payments!!) I think mostly because it wasn't in their system yet and they knew almost nothing about it. So it definitely depends on the company. I previously got almost the same quote on a 2010 Sonata SE V6 as well. I just ran the 2010 Ford Fusion Sport through the online quote system and you are right, $621 for 6 months. Not a huge difference but I'm still surprised.
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    We have our car with Farmer's [ Mid Century ]. The car is full coverage. We pick up our 2011 Sonata next Tuesday. Our insurance right now is $288 for 6 months. It will go to $365 for 6 months for the 2011. We live in Ca. We have our vehicles [ car, truck, and motor cycle ] and home through Farmers. We have clean driving records. I am 72 and wife is 68. Hope this helps.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    edited March 2010
    I live in the city of Chicago, so insurance rates are high. But when I switched from my 2007 Camry to the 2011 Sonata my insurance went up about $5 a month. Pretty comparable to the original price I was paying when the Camry was new. BTW, that's through State Farm.
    edited March 2010
    Several other companies wanted to charge as much as $440 a month (are they kidding me? Thats more than the car payments!!)

Yet another reason to find a 2-4 year old version of most anything and not but new. Insurance and the first 2-3 years registration is a hidden "tax" that most car buyers don't begin to factor into the price.

True Cost to Own®
    ___________Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5 5-yr Total
    Depreciation $7,257 $2,096 $1,845 $1,635 $1,467 $14,300
    Taxes & Fees $2,467 $147 $133 $121 $111 $2,979
    Financing...... $1,452 $1,170 $868 $544 $197 $4,231
    Insurance...... $1,976 $2,045 $2,117 $2,191 $2,223 $10,552

Ouch? That first year is brutal and essentially a luxury tax in disguise. Even by year two, it's reasonable. (this is on the above mentioned Sonata SE)
    Don't forget that you still have to pay a significant amount of sales tax in year two or three or whenever you buy unless you live in New Hampshire(no sales tax) or live in a state that doesn't tax used vehicles(I don't know of any). Also, you have to add back in some of that depreciation unless you are lucky enough to be able to buy wholesale. Still a better deal from a strict financial viewpoint I won't argue.

However, I think most people realize there is a big dollar penalty in buying new. A lot of people save and skrimp for years just to be able to buy that brand spanking new car every 7-10 years. It is just as important to them to have that new car smell as it is to you to save money. Other want to know that the car they're buying has not been abused and they're willing to pay a price for that. To each their own.
    It's always better financially to buy a 2 to 3 year old car. Better than that financially is a 5 year old or 10 year clunker for $1000. But where is the line in the sand for who decides how much a car should be used before it really becomes a good value? Where is the line in the sand that dictates how much a car is before it becomes overpriced and out of range.

One mans overpriced vehicle is anothers chump change (King Of Dubai silver Audi) and anothers persons very affordable Rolls is a stupid purchase to some.

Everybody has to decide for themselves. Plekto is at the 2 or 3 year mark, I'm at the new mark.
    It's always better financially to buy a 2 to 3 year old car. Better than that financially is a 5 year old or 10 year clunker for $1000. But where is the line in the sand for who decides how much a car should be used before it really becomes a good value? Where is the line in the sand that dictates how much a car is before it becomes overpriced and out of range.

One mans overpriced vehicle is anothers chump change (King Of Dubai silver Audi) and anothers persons very affordable Rolls is a stupid purchase to some

Eh, I think this is pretty easy to document...a new car cost (payment, insurance, registration, depreciation maybe) vs a used car (same, but with increased maintenance/repair, not as advanced, which could be good or bad, etc)

When I got rid of the '93 Accord for the '07, its maintenance costs had peaked and I was spending more on repairs than a car payment would be. So I bought a then new car that was already outdated (no MP3/iPod stereo in '07, puleeze :sick: ). But alas, a smarter purchase would've been a used domestic, but there was nothing in '04-06 that I really liked from the moderately sized 3.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I am 23, no accidents, good credit.. but the age is what kills me on this one :(
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I think the bigger financial issue is how long you keep the car that you buy. I doubt it is cheaper to buy a 2-3 year old car every 2-3 years than it is to buy a new car every 10 years. Buying used can also mean far more time spent running around to test drive cars, because each one is in different condition.

When I bought my last new car in 2007, IMO the best value probably would have been a year or two old used Taurus for maybe $12K. I considered that, but decided to spend $4K more to get the new Mazda6 that I wanted. It depends on your financial situation how significant that kind of difference is.

If the entire cost of the car is a month or two's income and the value of your investments fluctuates by as much as the price of the car on many days, then the difference is much less than it is if you are making $10 per hour and have no savings.
    However, I think most people realize there is a big dollar penalty in buying new. A lot of people save and skrimp for years just to be able to buy that brand spanking new car every 7-10 years. It is just as important to them to have that new car smell as it is to you to save money.

Yet the reality is that even a 1-2 year old car with 20-30K on it will be so close to new for most people that they can't tell the difference. On average it amounts to a 10K+ savings over the life of the car in lower payments(less interest), lower insurance, lower tax and registration, saved depreciation, and so on.

That's a lifetime of repairs and then some and in many cases it STILL has some of that new car smell(though being that that is actually outgassing plastics and fabrics and paint, it's even not remotely healthy...)

Plus, there isn't hardly any car out there that will be used up or even really broken in at 20-30K miles. It's a really safe move. And if you really do have the extra cash, you can go up a level or two. V6 for a 4 cylinder price. Win-Win. :)
    I go through cars like others go through tooth paste. I put 34k miles on in 16 months on just one car, we have 3. If I added all the miles put on in a years time between the 3, it is over 50K miles. I went the used route, but wore the cars out before they were paid for, so for me going the new route works best, plus I got lucky with the cars I bought that they had a high trade in value, and none of them had residuals that were carried over into the next car payment. For example, a 2007 Prius, 10 months old, 24,000 miles, trade in on that covered the residual I had left over on a 2001 Crown Vic, that I also traded in, purchased a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz, when all was said and done I paid sticker OTD, which I financed for 60 months, I mean I financed the sticker price, that included the tax, title, license, and fees. after a few months we found we couldnt get by with just one car, and I got a superb deal on a 2009 Camry Hybrid, 28,500 OTD, with no trade, dropped $500 on it, financed 28K. Drove the Camry for the majority, put 34,000 miles on it in 16 months, and after several incidents with it deciding it wanted to go when we were stopping, traded it in for a 2010 Fusion Sport. I got what I owed for the Camry, so basically it was no different than had I leased it. I had to do some hard bargaining for the Sport to get the price down, but at 0% financing, I got a more expensive car, and pay over $40 a month less than for the Camry. Then after the last snow storm, I discovered, rather to my disappointment, than our loved Hyundai was terrible in the snow, we purchased a FWD version instead of AWD, thinking it should be fine in snow. Well it was, in dry cold snow, and it plows through drifts beautifully, but the wet slushy stuff, it was wanting to pass itself, back to front, would have issues getting going, and would be scary trying to stop. New tires would have helped, but would have cost over $1600 to get new rims and snow tires for it, but it would still have that nagging problem of the back end wanting to pass the front, even with good tires, so we decided to look for an AWD vehicle to replace it with. We checked Hyundai, but the lots were sparse, the local dealer is still trying to get its inventory back after the C4C, they sold just about all they had. There weren't any incentives, and what they had, they weren't willing to deal, so I went to Ford, and got an amazing deal on a Flex. What was even more amazing was they gave me more for my trade of the VC than I owed on it. What is even better, I knocked my payment down on it $114 a month over what I was paying on the Veracruz.

So buying used isn't for everyone, there are some of us where buying new does work out. Insurance for me is very low, I have full coverage on a 1999 F350 Crew cab Dually diesel truck, the 2010 Fusion Sport and the 2010 Flex Ecoboost, in IL, and it costs me a little over $1600 a year for all three. The Sport is over $300 for 6 months, the other 2 are under $300 for 6 months.

Now here is something funny, I had just opened some mail that I got Saturday, and found the bank I got the loan from on the Veracruz sent me a $550 check for over payment. In addition, there was an disability insurance policy on the loan that I may be able to get some money back on. This must be trickle down from owning the Prius. When I traded it, I had a warranty that I paid $1900 for, found I could get it for $895, dealer sent me a $1200 check for the difference, then when I canceled the warranty, got back an additional $1400. OK this makes up for all the cars I lost money on! :) :shades:
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    Did a second round of test drives on my preferred cars.

Chevy Malibu - excellent build quality, very attractive inside and out, smooth engine, very quiet ride, but uncomfortable (for me) driver's seat, mainly because the seat is too sculpted for my large rear end.

Honda Accord - Good build quality, fairly comfortable front seat, excellent handling, powerful engine, but noisy ride (road noise and wind noise).

2010 Hyundai Sonata - decent build quality, very comfortable front seat, fairly quiet ride, but whiny, wimpy engine.

2011 Hyundai Sonata - Very stylish exterior, very nice interior, extremely comfortable driver's seat (best I've ever encountered - I don't know why I didn't see it that way my first test drive), very good power, very good handling. Definitely the car for me.

Problem - the color/model combination I want isn't available in the Washington DC area right now, so I'll have to wait awhile.