Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Is the Prius a midsized sedan? I must have stumbled into the wrong forum! :confuse:
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Mid sized HATCHBACK. Take the hatchback away and it is a compact. Weird how they size cars up.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Which is why you have to go by how the vehicle fits *your* needs, not what the classification is.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Being a hatchback and not a sedan, the Prius is out of scope for this thread. I think that might be the OP's point.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    The OP was about purchasing a Camry, and the Prius issue was meant as an example of Toyota's recent problems.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    And it affects one of the midsize cars we talk about all the time, Camry and the effect the Toyotas problems have on other midsize sales. No different than talking about transmissions, buying decisions, etc. As long as they don't get completely off track what's the harm. Oh, I know it's so painful to read a few posts that aren't 100% on target. We sorry. There are times when this thread goes silent for days and sometimes a week or more so please be tolerant to a degree.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    It is also more interesting to read a few somewhat off-topic posts than it is to read a bunch of posts about what should and should not be posted. (such as this one :blush: )
    "Is the Prius a midsized sedan? I must have stumbled into the wrong forum! "

Where in the above text was the Camry mentioned? :confuse:
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    The funny part is, go to the Prius forums. NO thread about this incident, unless it's buried in an unrelated topic...
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Kind of sounds like Balloon Boy. (Gosh, I feel so cynical) :blush:
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    It's always easy to be a Monday morn.QB. Try being in that situation, people can't even handle situations in mall parking lots. Bottom line things that are happening to the Toyotas or any kind of car should not happen at all, especially in todays so called high tech can't go wrong world. Goes back to when they used horses you couldn't tme all of them as you saw fit, right up to this day.
    I've been in the situation with a runaway accelerator. I had a late 80s Mercury MT-equipped Topaz that had the problem. I distinctly remember driving on the interstate in heavy traffic with my foot on the brake to keep the speed down to 55. That beat going into neutral in that situation.

It's very surprising the first time it happens. You're not expecting it and having never experienced it before you don't quite know what to do right away. That said, a competent driver (I was only about 25 or 26 at the time) could figure it out quickly that sudden engine revs = undesired higher speed, so down-shifting, braking, or going into neutral are the possible corrective actions. All of those actions are possible on AT-equipped cars (downshifting might not be on some that no longer offer shift points lower than Drive).

On the Tempo/Topaz, shutting the car off & turning it back on cleared it up temporarily. It would be days or weeks before the problem would recur.

Ford did the recall for AT-equipped Tempos & Topaz' but not for ones with an MT. IIRC the fix was a replacement ECU. Not being as knowledgeable as I am now, I replaced the Topaz instead of fighting for the recall to apply to my car. While I liked the car's comfort & power, it had reliability issues so replacing it made more sense than trying to get yet another thing fixed.

(And speaking of maintaining control, sorry Hollywood, but I likewise had no problems maintaining control of an '85 Sentra when it experienced a front tire blowout at 70 MPH. Driver-front tire blew, car started to drift, I pulled over & stopped. No drama. Unless you suddenly yank the wheel a car with a flat isn't going to flip or go massively out of control. Likewise you can keep driving for quite a distance if you don't mind harder steering and damaging the rim.)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    2011 Hyundai Sonata. it was black.
    at first, i thought ES 350, but it was different enough to catch my eye.
    looked pretty good, although not a shocker.
    the chrome trim that extended from the headlights through the front door to the 'C' pillar is a different touch.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited March 2010
    So I took my annual pilgrimage to the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show today. Although this year it was the "lesser" Twin Cities Auto Show, in that it was much smaller than in prior years (they even had a Golf Show in the same center!) and yet the fee was more than last year's.

I looked at lots of cars, but made a point of checking out all the mid-sized family sedans that were there. (Galant and Kizashi were no-shows, as was the Aura of course. And I didn't see a Passat sedan, only the CC, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.)

Here's some thoughts:

Best display: Hyundai. They had three Sonatas open to sit in, with power so the power seats and stereos would work. They also had an SE on a turntable and a cut-away 2010 Sonata to show off safety features. In contrast, Nissan had only one Altima, a loaded one, Kia had only one Optima (again a loaded one). Honda, Toyota, Chevy, and Mazda also had a decent number of mid-sizers available.

Nicest interior: This is based on the low-end base models, i.e. those with cloth interiors, which are the ones I am most interested in. The award goes to...Mazda6i, which had a red car with black/tan interior for just under $21k that I thought looked sharper than anything else there at that price level. The Legacy was close, with nice brushed-aluminum-like trim on the center stack. The worst: Avenger.

Most comfy front seat: No award, because most of the cars on the floor had power seats and many had no power feed, so I really couldn't test them.

Most comfy rear seat: Accord, with tons of leg room and plenty of toe space, and a well-shaped seat with good thigh support. I found lack of toe space to be a problem on several of the cars, including the Sonata. Worst seat was in the Legacy--much improved leg room over the previous generation, but falls short of Accord, Mazda6, Sonata, and Fulan there.

Best value: Mazda6i. The red sample I mentioned earlier undercut even the Sonata in price, but had all the key features (except Bluetooth, which the Sonata has) and as I mentioned, a nicer interior than the Sonata's. It's also a standout in the class looks-wise, as is the Sonata.

Best in show: Buick Regal. There was one on a turntable, so I couldn't sit in it, but it was open so I got a good look. I have to say I was VERY impressed by what I saw. Exterior-wise, I think it might be the best-looking car in the class--more buttoned-down than the Sonata and Mazda6, but still not the same-old-family-car styling. It looks a class above the rest (except the CC). The interior also looks as nice if not nicer than anything in the class. Now, I know what you are thinking--"this is not in the same class as Camcord, Sonata etc." Well, I think it is. According to the GM spokeswoman there, pricing will start at $26,900 and that includes the DI engine, 18" alloys, 6-speed AT, sport-tuned suspension, and leather interior. So it's trimmed like the high-end trims of other mid-sized sedans, and priced in that same ballpark. There will be a 220 hp 2.0L turbo version available also, for more money.

There was a comment about wanting a "Sonata Limited S" with sport-tuned suspension and turbo engine. I think the new Regal might be the closest thing to that, if it drives as the GM marketing hype suggests (it is from Opel of Europe after all).

Maybe the Regal could replace the departed Aura in the list to the right?
    edited March 2010
    I liked the Regal as well but couldn't comment that strongly on it mainly because I couldn't sit in it and feel the materials. Chicago had the same display of the Regal I think. It did look very nice but without being able to sit in it I just couldn't say a lot. I really did not care for the LaCrosse all that much and I was able to sit in that but I realize that they are pretty different cars however.

I thought the uplevel interior of the Altima was very nice and approaching Infiniti in luxury feel. Leather was very soft, unlike the Hyundai/Kia leathers which aren't quite as finished it seems. Mazda has pretty nice leather too but I know you're not into that which is fine.

Still can't figure out why GM can only get 30mpg hwy out their 182hp base engine for the Regal. Maybe it's just geared that much lower for pickup off the line and not for hwy cruising, similar to the Mazda6 V6 which only gets like 26mpg hwy. That's pretty pathetic in todays world. I think the 328hp G37 AWD gets around 25mpg hwy and it's a rocket so I don't see any excuse for Mazda.

I made the comment about the fantasy of a Sonata Limited S and you're right, the turbo version of the Regal may be very similar to what that car could be but probably at a substantially higher street price.

Anyway, the Regal is nice but I would still vote for the Legacy as a replacement for the Aura off to the right.
    I did see a base Altima at a Nissan dealer the other day and thought the dash didn't look nearly as nice as that in the Mazda6, Sonata, or Legacy. The cloth was nothing to write home about, either. (Maybe that's why Nissan only had the high-end trim on display?) The leather in the Sonata is pretty nice IMO--softer than in prior years. The leather in my low-bucks 2004 Elantra isn't very soft, but it's perforated and has held up well.

The Accord LX manages only 31 mpg and I'll bet it's a much lighter car than the Regal. But 30 mpg for the DI in the Regal isn't very good compared to the 35 mpg in the more powerful Sonata.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    very true about the Altima; I like the car but the cloth in the base and mid level models is nothing to write home about; the leather interior is much better and nearly transforms the cabin; plus if you get the leather you get better made leather and vinyl padding on the door and armrests!

but as you pointed out you have to go with top level models for that!
    There are things people should know how to do. Putting the car in neutral at any speed should be the first. I learned that in drivers ed. This guy in SD is going to turn out to be a fake story.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    There are things people should know how to do. Putting the car in neutral at any speed should be the first. I learned that in drivers ed. This guy in SD is going to turn out to be a fake story.

The Prius, if I recall correctly, is a shift by wire car. You can move the little joysticky thing where ever you want, but unless the body control module tells the powertrain control module that someone played with the lever, nothing is gonna happen.
    I was listening to the radio, they had a piece about Dan Edmunds using a 2004 Prius in an attempt to recreate the issue.

1. It was reported when the brake was depressed, acceleration ceased.
    2. There was no issue in putting the car into neutral.

You decide.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    That is what I have been telling my wife since all this has blown up.Well, all we can do is hope for the best.
    Edmunds car didn't experience the glitch. That does not mean the glitch does not exist. Correlation does not imply causation.
    That doesn't mean this guy is being truthful and that every driver error is a faulty car. There are reason when you take out a large insurance policy the insurance company does a thorough check. This guy has the red flags.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I owned a 2007 Prius, so I know the controls pretty well. There are 3 ways to get into neutral, first, and unless you have read the manual, you would not know this, to put into neutral, move the shift lever to the right and hold it. Second way, press the park button, it will not engage park until the speed is below 3 MPH. The third way, press and hold the power button for 3-5 seconds, it kills power to everything, but does not engage park until the car falls below 3 MPH, and will not lock the steering wheel until a door is opened.

So if you press the brake, it kills power to the drive train, well, it was quite obvious that did not happen with the runaway since he was riding the brakes hard. Another thing about Prius, they have a very sensitive traction control, the main reason I got rid of it. The TC on the Prius cuts all power to the wheels for about 2 seconds when a wheel slips. There is a good chance that if he was really pushing down on the brakes and hit a bump, the wheel hop would have cut power.

Just because they can't reproduce it, doesn't mean it didn't happen, and what they now need to do is figure out if it is a hoax, how did he do it without modifying the car? Since he hasn't asked for any money, would the only reason he did it was to avoid a speeding ticket? The question I have is, did he call 911 before any police were near him, or did he call after he had seen a cop and thought he got caught speeding? If the former, then I seriously doubt he would have faked this.
    Anyone feel like discussing midsize sedans, or should they just rename this one, "runaway Prius?"
    well, it was quite obvious that did not happen with the runaway since he was riding the brakes hard.

That is not what the experts have said. They brake wear was not consistent with full load brake apply, which means he could have alternatively depressed the brakes, depressed the accelelator.

Just because he *claimed* it did happen, doesn't mean it really did. People do all sorts of strange things that some of us can't fathom why.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    edited March 2010
    Yes, let's get back on topic, shall we? The Prius dribble is getting old, and if I wanted to talk about one, I'd be signed up to those forums instead of this one.

How about this:

That's the new 2011 Kia Optima, set to debut in New York. Inside Line has the info here.

Opinions?

Personally, I like it.I think it's more attractive than the Sonata, with styling that's more cohesive, and kept in line with the Kia family. Question: If Kia is supposed to be the "sportier" version of Hyundai, do you think they'll man up and throw in a V6 under the hood? Maybe with a true manual?

Hey, one can dream... :shades:
    More attractive than the Sonata, really? I guess if you prefer the styling of a BMW 3 series over that of a Lexus or Acura, I can see that.
    Ummmm.....N is to the left,not the right.There is nowhere to go on the right,that is where the little shift lever is all the time.Also you never put a moving car into Park.
    I do own a 2007 Prius. and have read the manual.
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, maybe they'll stick the 2.7L V6 from the current Optima into the new one. :P

I don't think the Optima will get a V6 if the Sonata doesn't. I think it's likely the two cars have the same platform--it's reported they will be built on the same assembly line in the U.S., with the Kia line shifting to all-SUVs (Sorrento and new Santa Fe). The Sonata is not designed to hold a V6, so the Optima might be similar. But maybe there will be a turbo variant like the Sonata. Probably not a hybrid, though. But you never know.

I can't say for sure I like the Optima better than the Sonata styling-wise until I see the Optima in person, but it does look sharp in the photo. But I think the Sonata looks good also, albeit with a much different styling approach.
    edited March 2010
    1. The wheels are butt ugly in this picture which I know could be easily changed and probably are not what the final product will wear. But they are so ugly they deserve comment. Maybe look better on a GTI.

2. Not enough pictures and aspects to determine if it looks better than a Sonata IMO. I'll hold my preliminary opinion until a lot more good quality pictures are available and from every angle.

3. Doubt if the V6 will show up. Maybe a higher output version of the turbo I4 possibly and some real sport suspension. They are using the same frame as the Sonata and one way Hyundai reduced weight on the Sonata was by not having to beef the frame to hold a V6.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2010
    http://motortrend.automotive.com/133446/112-1005-best-selling-midsize-family-sed- - - - an-comparison/index.html

It seems to me that the Camry won because they think middle American will like it the most - quiet, smooth ride, easy to drive, simple controls, and overall just the epitome of a basic, boring, but decent sedan. Fun to drive- no, stylish-no, lots of included features-No ... it is just a basic decent car for the millions of drones in this country that get about as much enjoyment out of their car as they do their microwave.

I could have *maybe* lived with the Fusion being the #1 over a 2011 Sonata, although really the SEL trim compares more closely to the Sonata Limited in terms of price and purpose. And when you do that comparison, the Sonata offers a lot more. The SE is a sports-tuned mid level sedan which purposely gives up a small bit of the quiet ride for improved handling - which it accomplished - by having the best track numbers even over the Fusion and Altima. And the lack of an auto-manual on the supposedly sporty Fusion is just ridiculous. For the criteria that MT was judging (which is the best sedan for the family/predicted 2010 best seller) the Limited is clearly better for that purpose than the SE.

Also, why was the "price as tested" $26,000 for the SE? Apparently they got it with the Nav and sunroof, which still only brings it equal to the price of the Fusion SEL without a Nav. I would be willing to bet that sunroof has something to do with the supposed weight being 3316 lbs. instead of 3199 lbs. in the GLS and only getting 8.1 seconds 0-60 (still the best of the cars in the test but it is much better than 8.1 in reality).. Besides the Fusion looks like a Mach3 razor and the Camry is probably one of the worst looking car in the whole group.. look at those 16 inch rims with 5 huge boring spokes- disgusting!!

Of the Camry -
    The materials and build quality suggest this could be the priciest car in the group, when in fact it's the cheapest (though equipping an SE to match our Sonata would cost almost $32,000).

As we don our Ma 'n' Pa Middle America hats and take a walk around this Toyota, we can't help being impressed by the gigantic back seat, huge trunk opening, and breathtakingly simple cockpit ergonomics.

"Okay, steering feel and handling prowess are not outstanding, but when you hustle this slice of milquetoast, it shrugs off road imperfections and carves through turns just fine. There's lots of chassis roll but no loss of control. Seemingly excels at nothing, yet it really excels at everything. A driving enthusiast might want a more involving and athletic machine, but for 99 percent of buyers shopping in this category, the Camry simply nails the mission profile."

Milquetoast - A good word to describe the Camry. Enjoy it, soccer moms.
    Kelley Blue Book now reports that the automaker now holds the Number One spot in brand loyalty, with 56.3 percent of Hyundai owners looking within the brand for new car purchases. Honda continues to hold the second place rank at 55.8 percent, and Toyota, in light of its recent recall woes, is down 4.4 percentage points to 53.3 percent, putting it in the third place spot.

This one statistic really says a lot. Toyota was #1 before the recent turmoil.
    I know some soccer moms that drive Sonatas. What does that mean? My daughter drives a Camry and I would hardly call her a drone. Why do you have to denigrate people for what they drive? Slam the cars if you like, don't slam the owners.
    I know there are many people who will not believe that statistic, because when they think of "Hyundai" they still think of the Excel and Jay Leno jokes. It is a great example of how cars change, and times change.
    One more followup in case you haven't heard. Here is an excerpt from the news conference:

Data from on-board computers indicated that Sikes had applied the brakes and gas pedal, alternately, at least 250 times during the incident, Toyota engineers said.

Edmunds.com has independently tested Prius cars similar to Sikes and confirmed that the engine would stay engaged if the brakes were only pressed lightly but not hard enough to actually stop or slow the car, said Dan Edmunds, head of auto testing for the automotive Web site Edmunds.com.

"If you're just riding the brakes, it will ride the brakes," he said.
    Hey, did you notice off to the right. The 2010 Passat is rated a perfect 10. :confuse: Oh, only two reviews though. ;)
    edited March 2010
    I agree. Drones? :confuse I wish I could be as successful as Toyota to design, test, manufacture and sell millions of copies to "drones".

I recently rented a Camry SE and really liked it. The Camry has come a long way since the days of "sloppy" handling. I don't feel the need to go test driving every midsize sedan out there. I have a few considerations, but there is the possibility of buying one. I can be a "drone" and I'm okay with it.
    I agree. Drones? I wish I could be as successful as Toyota to design, test, manufacture and sell millions of copies to "drones".

You're right. "Drones" isn't the correct word at all...

I'm thinking along the lines of, say, lemmings.

I recently rented a Camry SE and really liked it. The Camry has come a long way since the days of "sloppy" handling. I don't feel the need to go test driving every midsize sedan out there.

Those two sentences only prove that you should be testing other midsize sedans. You'll quickly discover just how inferior the Camry handles compared to just about every other choice on the market today, while the competition matches or exceeds the smooth ride that the Camry supposedly leads in as well.
    edited March 2010
    The Camry is a good, utilitarian, easy to drive car, but I don't see how it is better than either the 2011 Sonata or the Fusion in most respects other than being quiet. I would like to see people really consider some of the alternatives to the Accord/Camry and realize how many great competitors are out there. The more people buy from competitive brands, the more Toyota and Honda will have to step up and start producing cars that are a good value again instead of adding $3000+ for the brand name on cars with less features. Neither the Camry or Accord is fun, sporty, or particularly stylish, especially in 4-cylinder trims. The older model Sonata is also nice inside and roomy with soft, floaty handling and not a lot of power - exactly what a soccer mom is looking for in a car.

This might be nice for some people, but it's nice to see a few automakers actually care about performance, style, and handling, so dad can enjoy driving the car too - not just mom.

yes Mz6, Lemmings is a good word. I was thinking like zombies flocking to the Toyota dealer year after year without evening thinking of the other brands.
    Well, I see you like to call people names too. Oh, well.

If you would have read his post closely you would have noticed that he said "I don't feel the need to go test driving every midsize sedan out there". Did he say he wasn't going to test any other midsize sedans? How many people test every single car in the class they are looking in before buying? Narrow it down, test drive a few and buy a car.

Does the Camry handle softer and with more body roll than most of the others in the family midsize ranks? Sure. Is that bad to the millions that buy it...no. I, for one, am not a big fan of Camry or the way it handles but I'm getting a little tired of the holier than thou types that like to put other people down for liking the way a particular car handles.

I'm sure that there are so called enthusiasts on other forums that would probably call anybody that drives any family midsize sedan lemmings or drones. Does it make them right or does make them appear to be just blinded by their own bias? Like I said, bash the car, not the buyers.
    "Sloppy" is not really my term but I guess the soft suspension of prior years and sloppy go together. I guess I could test drive an Accord as well, the last model I drove was an '07.

As far as how inferior the Camry is...I didn't feel it inferior. BTW Camry wouldn't be for me directly.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    At first glance it could be mistaken for a BMW. Somehow, from the picture it "looks" like a sturdier car than the Sonata. The front makes me think of a truck...I don't know why...and I definitely do not like the wheels. But other than that it looks nice. I think the side view is much better.

I also like that the front end appears to be "not too close to the ground". The front of the Sonata looks really low to me...I hope it does okay in the snow.
    I have a Sonata SE, and it did very well in the snow. I even drove 50 miles in a blizzard we had here a few weeks ago and once the car is moving I don't remember slipping once. Getting out of an icy, snowed in parking spot took a bit of shoveling to get the car moving though.. after that it was perfect.
    Well, I see you like to call people names too. Oh, well.

Huh? :confuse:

I'm getting a little tired of the holier than thou types that like to put other people down for liking the way a particular car handles.

And I'm getting tired for being wrongly accused of insulting others when I happen to have a different opinion than others in this forum. I'm also getting tired of the masses of car buyers that default to Toyota and Honda, when just about every other midsize car on the market at least matches (if not exceeds) the ability/advantages that these cars supposedly have. I can honestly say that the 1% of car buyers that also are members of Carspace don't fit into that category, but the majority of the other 99% of car buyers are, IMO, lemmings, just following the crowd without expanding their horizons.
    You can't be serious.It's just car talk man,lighten up.
    edited March 2010
    You can't be serious.It's just car talk man,lighten up.

You're right, I do need to lighten up. I think that some others on this forum should do so as well.

On topic:There's a local car dealer that sells Hyundai, and his latest batch of TV commercials show him comparing a white 2011 Sonata bumper-to-bumper with a white Mercedes C-class. To me, they look nothing alike, nor do I think a Sonata would be mistaken for a Mercedes C-class. I know he's out to sell cars, hence the comparison, but do they really look alike? Opinions?