Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    I think the Fusion would be nice but my first choice, like yours, at the moment is the 2009 or '10 Sonata based on MPG being a little better and the prices a little lower.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Grad, I understand your thinking. Cut back from two car to one(less maint, less insurance) and the 2010 Sonata should be had for rock bottom prices due to popularity of the '11. Brand on move up perceptionwise, still has the great warranty, better dealer network and better resale than Kia. Keep the car at least 5 years and it would owe you almost nothing. Very logical. Now all you have to do is find one. I think finding a GLS manual w/o the PEP will be really difficult. Heck, finding just a GLS manual with PEP will be difficult but if that is what you want widen your search area greatly and you should be able to find something. It's worth driving out of your area to get one if you can get the right price. I don't think you would be able to touch any other midsizer for less than 2-3 grand more out the door.

Good luck.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I think finding a GLS manual w/o the PEP will be really difficult. Heck, finding just a GLS manual with PEP will be difficult but if that is what you want widen your search area greatly and you should be able to find something.

I'm willing to get one with an auto if I can find the right price. I haven't found the first manual WITH the PEP, which I'd actually prefer and be willing to spend more for.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    And how is his preference of buying new over used myopic? It's not. It's a preference. Personally, I'd rather take new over used if I had the choice myself. I'd rather get the vehicle that I want, without worrying about depreciation, previous issues, etc. I don't care how much my vehicle's worth if I enjoy driving it.

Yet I hear so many people bemoan anything used as if it's rubbish with 50 lbs of C4 under the hood ready to blow at any time. Even if it's a year or two old. Trust me on this. A couple of year old car won't suddenly explode or have the doors fall off. This isn't 1930, after all.

Saving $10K over a new car is huge.Even saving $5K pays for a lifetime of repairs on anything from Japan. And since we're talking about Hyundai here, a couple of year old Hyundai sells for a large amount less than it did new.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    iluv, I can certainly understand not wanting the more chair-like seating position of an SUV v. the more lounge-like seating in a sedan. After driving sedans for over 25 years, I'm welcoming the change the other way this time.

Lately, I've also found myself increasingly dissatisfied with the way sedan trunks are designed. Either the openings are too small or too oddly shaped or the rear seat pass-through isn't shaped right for the long items I find myself buying from time to time. That, plus doing more DIY around the house influenced me towards an SUV.

Anyway, I like reading about your decision making process. You include your needs and manage to find choices that satisfy your passions at the same time.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    you can browse here to see if you find something that fits the bill fitzmall :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Grad,

Don't know how reliable the prices are, but I plugged in a zip code for Birmingham, AL at http://cars.overstock.com and came up with some excellent prices for your area. They showed a 2010 GLS manual, no options for $14836 and a GLS auto with PEP for $16574. It is worth a look.
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    ...and open to the public. Apparently it goes on sale in a few weeks. I spent about 30 minutes digging around in a base model CXL 2.4L model with a Granite Gray/Ebony color combination. The Regal GS was there too, but on a rotating platform. Since it was a Tuesday the show was very quiet and I got to really look around and analyze all the cars I'm currently considering. Nissan/Infiniti, Suzuki and Mitsubishi weren't there. By next week, I'll have a full review of my impressions of the new Sonata, Camry, Accord, 6, Malibu and Legacy. Really came away impressed by all them, there are no "bad" cars among the group of cars I looked at. Didn't waste my time with the Sebring/Avenger twins. I want to test drive them all, then come back with a ranking based on my experience with them at the show and my experience with them on the open road.

But back to the Regal:

First let me say that the car looks excellent in person. I went to Detroit's autoshow earlier this year in January (I went on the day the Audi Display caught on fire and we had to be evacuated.) but I never posted anything about it. Base 2.4 models come standard with 18 inch alloy wheels which have a nice design, the car is basically the same as an Insignia exterior-wise no real changes. It's round, contoured and nicely sculpted and easily the best looking car in this class. The new Sonata is the only car that comes close IMO.

Inside, the interior has a great design, you open the doors and the gauges light up immediately, which I think is pretty common in a lot of new cars. The interior materials are very VW-like, and they should be considering the Regal is an Insignia. The upper dashboard has some spongy/rubbery materials with nicely grained texture and a soft touch feel. The lower portion of the dash has more hard plastic materials but they have a substantial feel to them. Every car in this class is pretty much that way these days. Buttons have a tactile feel to them, though I felt the "Ebony" interior was a bit stark and too dark IMO and the trim pieces are two different types of silver. Door handles have a Chrome look as does the automatic shift surround, while the door handle pulls, steering wheel and shift knob have a silver plastic trim that looks nice but I question the durability over time. I'm sure I'd like the "Cashmere" interior with its wood trim better.

The leather seats seemed of really good quality to me, though I'll be the first to admit, I'm no leather expert. The seats seemed really firm and supportive, very Germanic in feel. I also noticed that the power seat had an unusually long track. I'm only about 5 feet 9 but I was able to push the seat back so far that my feet couldn't reach the pedals. I hopped in the backseat and sure enough the leg room was so cramped that I could barely pull my feet from behind the seat to get out! I got back into the driver's seat and adjusted the seat to a comfortable driving position then hopped back into the back seat again and I noticed the regal had just average rear seat legroom. Adequate for an average height person sitting behind an average height driver. I think if I ever bought a Regal and my younger, much taller brother decided to drive it I'd make sure I didn't ride in the seat behind him...only my niece or nephew could LOL. I also noticed that the Regal doesn't offer memory seats, which sort of surprises me, considering the Regal is aimed at a slightly higher market than the CamcordTimaNata. I'll post pics of the Regal up later if I get a chance. Hope folks in the Atlanta area get to check out the show and check out all the new cars.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    Hey everyone,

I know some people were concerned with the road noise on the new Sonata so I decided to upload a quick video from my digital camera. IMO it's a pretty quiet and smooth ride, even in my SE, but let me know if other people have had a few complaints. At least this is pretty close to realistic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYthDsKgHo
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited March 2010
    Anyway, I like reading about your decision making process. You include your needs and manage to find choices that satisfy your passions at the same time.

Well put, man. I have a love for the Suzuki Kizashi but also love our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, too. I honestly don't know if I'll be dealing for anything new right now. I may just stay put.

I appreciate your input on SUV's. There is one from Mitsubishi coming up that is a hybrid called the PX-MiEV. Looks really interesting and one I would consider, too.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• carstrykecarstryke Member Posts: 168
    I thought you were gunna get a Forte?? You change your mind like my Fiance changes shoes :P
  • greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    Yeah, that was cool to see. Nice job using your turn signal. I see you blew through a light but on replay, I saw that it was still green :) Anyway, I'm looking at a 2010 but that's a nice sound overall. Were you really posting only 2000 rpm @ 65 MPH? I cruise at 65 on the highway with my '98 Accord and it pulls about 2400 at that speed. So I can see the better gas mileage out of that. I'm all about MPG.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    If you are looking for one with a lot of room, check out the Flex. You can fold down all the seats except the drivers seat(would be hard to drive if it did), so long items can easily be carried. Last week I picked up around a 1000 pounds of horse supplies, while still having the kids car seats in the 2nd row. It handled it all quite nicely too. If you aren't into having all the toys and leather, the SE can be had for well under 30K. It can also tow up to 4500#. There is one near me that has the tow package and roof rails for 27,500.
    edited March 2010
    Cars.Overstock.Com...

Thank you for the tip!

I found a GLS PEP auto in Columbus, GA for $15,874. I'm using that to negotiate with a different dealer along the gulf coast. Their manager has called me and is going to see what they can do as far as matching that price.

Whether or not this particular deal goes through, I appreciate it nonetheless. Now I just have to get my Accord(s) sold!

Know anybody who wants my '06 EX with 58k for $13,500? :)
    edited March 2010
    Keep us updated on your quest! Good luck and glad to have been of some help to you. ;)
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    edited March 2010
    grad,

Didn't we just go through all this only about uh, 4 years ago? ;)

Man, I just want to warn you about stick shift. If you do a lot of city driving, you will soon regret it. I once bought a Jetta stick, and loved it for a while, but tired of the constant shifting. I traded it in on an automatic after a year or so, lost a lot of $$$.

You would like a decked out '10 Sonata LTD, and they're dirt cheap.

You would like a '11 SE with the 6 speed paddle shifter. A little more money, but still a lot of car for the money. 35mpg doesn't hurt either. If gas goes up to $6 a gallon (as it will in time), you would feel lucky for buying it.
    The car I'm pursuing is an automatic, I'd have to travel to get it, but this GLS, PEP, Auto is $374 more than the GLS no-PEP stick I was considering yesterday. Great deals have to be dug out, and tenpin sure helped me.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Thanks for mentioning that site. I had never heard of it before (with regard to cars, I have heard of overstock.com). Looks like a good source of "no-haggle" prices that would be useful for negotiation, even if not actually purchasing via the site.
    Exactly! It is proving to be a great negotiating tool. One dealer is willing to match, another isn't. Of course the one that isn't has been the real pleasure to talk to and work with thus far.

I've never dealt in such a broad area; Pensacola, FL; Columbus, GA; and B'ham area dealers are all working for my business. We'll find out who, if anyone, gets it very soon.
    Isn't it just amazing what you can do with this Internet thing? I wonder if it has a future? ;)
    N'ah. I bet it'll be like these "cellular telephones" people keep talking about. Who needs 'em?

;)
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    The car I'm pursuing is an automatic, I'd have to travel to get it, but this GLS, PEP, Auto is $374 more than the GLS no-PEP stick I was considering yesterday. Great deals have to be dug out, and tenpin sure helped me.

I guess I don't understand why its better than what you have now. So you have a 3-4 year old car, already taken the depreciation hit, it appears to be reliable, requires less maintenance, is likely less expensive to register and or insure, and is actually slightly less bland than what you are looking at for a replacement.

Dump the '96 and get a few grand for it, pay down some debt, go on a vacation, buy a full suspension mtn bike, etc, but that seems like a lot of churn/$$ for a lateral upgrade.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Man, I just want to warn you about stick shift. If you do a lot of city driving, you will soon regret it. I once bought a Jetta stick, and loved it for a while, but tired of the constant shifting. I traded it in on an automatic after a year or so, lost a lot of $$$.

Having a manual never bothered me in the California bay area or LA. I don't doubt that it drives some people nuts, I just always enjoy shifting.

You would like a '11 SE with the 6 speed paddle shifter.

Eh, paddle shifters are a total joke so middle aged or older men can show off to other middle aged men while they pretend to shift. I think its worth about $0.35 extra to me, right after those paper mats they put on the floor.
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    edited March 2010
    Grad if you're 6'5", I'm not sure you'll be able to push the driver's seat back far enough to be comfortable. I'm only 5'101/2" (30" inseam) and I couldn't get the seat far enough back to fully extend my left leg on the dead pedal in a 2009 I test drove unless I raised the front part of the seat all the way up. If after checking out the driver's seat for yourself and you still are interested in a 2010 Sonata, I recommend you apply to join the Hyundai Think Tank. As a member, you'll qualify for the Hyundai Associates Purchase Program which will entitle you to purchase the car at dealer invoice, minus 3% MSRP, minus any customer incentives that you qualify for. Here's the link to apply for membership in the Hyundai Think Tank
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    No car pmt since the end of 2004 has been nice. Going 8 months without a car payment and then maybe spending $150 to fix something and then going 8 more months without either expense again has it's benefits. Depreciation on my last 3 used cars has averaged about $40 a month each, but at one point, I hit $600 a month for gas. My new sedan won't have much depreciation for a few years either, due to the huge amount off MSRP that I managed. My gas savings will cover the excise tax.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Wait - you actually would buy a car with manual that doesn't have a properly telescoping steering wheel?
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    That is your opinion, which not everybody ascribes to. My original comment still stands. I would rather drive an econobox than a 3 year old entry level luxury car for the same price.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    edited March 2010
    Re the gulf coast.. check in Pensacola, Allen Turner, and also area between there and Mobile. I can't think of name of place but they seem to have super prices, at least in their ads. Just happened to think of it...Eastern Shore and/or Daphne seems to be pretty big dealer.. check them out. By the way, Allen Turner, Pensacola is one of the best service facilities I have ever run into. They were also OK to deal with too on purchase when I bought my 2006 LX V6 back in Feb 2006, and I have had no problems to speak of.

van
    Allen Turner is who I've been dealing with. Unfortunately, the best OTD price they've quoted me on a Sonata GLS Auto PEP is $18,1xx. I won't give up two cars and still have to pay $4k just go get into a new Sonata. I'd prefer to deal with them, but can't afford to do so.
    As a member, you'll qualify for the Hyundai Associates Purchase Program which will entitle you to purchase the car at dealer invoice, minus 3% MSRP, minus any customer incentives that you qualify for. Here's the link to apply for membership in the Hyundai Think Tank

Well damn, had I known about this last month before I decided on a Flex, I would have gone for an AWD Veracruz to replace the FWD Veracruz. Really that is the only reason I got a Flex. (of course having Ecoboost just friggin ROCKS!)
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    There's lots of nice stuff out there. Good to see Detroit is back into cars instead of just trucks. Its neat to be able to enthusiastically shop different brands again!
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Thanks for the info on the Hyundai Think Tank, now it's just a matter of whether the dealerships in my area will accept the plan.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Know anybody who wants my '06 EX with 58k for $13,500?

Accords are soft right now, in my neck of the woods anyway. I have a 2006 Accord EX Coupe 37,000 miles and I cannot get anyone to buy it for $12,995. Not even ONE looker!! The car is mint!! Ugh!
    All the more reason for me to forego buying and just keep driving. :)
  • dave8697dave8697 Member Posts: 1,498
    suprising to me. I checked last week on this site for '07 Accords for sale within 200 miles. There were pages of them all at $14,995. I was curious because that is about what my new car was. My '96 has a $253 book trade-in value (down $7500 for me in exactly 6 years) so I just kept it. I think I could sell it for $1800. Loaded, leather, supercharged, sunroof, no rust, still has nice leather smell inside, never been hit, stickered for 31. Ins co quoted me $1000 a year to put my 17 yr old on it. Putting him on a car with full coverage would run $2500 a year, so I may just keep it to lower my ins. and drive in on the snowy days.
    edited March 2010
    Eh, paddle shifters are a total joke so middle aged or older men can show off to other middle aged men while they pretend to shift. I think its worth about $0.35 extra to me, right after those paper mats they put on the floor.

Paddle shifters perform exactly the same function as a stick shift, and both are worthless to me. However, they may be a good alternative to someone who likes a stick shift but drinks coffee on the way to work. ;)
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    You have some pretty strange,and frankly insulting ideas about middle aged and older men.Being one of the latter,I resent that.I am one of them, and I assure you I have no need of paddle shifters,and I do know how to use a manual transmission.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Paddle shifters perform exactly the same function as a stick shift

Not exactly. Paddle shifters only allow you to shift sequentially through the gears (you can't shift from 2-4 or 3-5 e.g.). You don't use them like a stick shift either - you only use them when you want to hold a gear (prevent auto-shifts) or force a shift (downshifting to pass) or you can just use them for fun, but you don't normally use them to shift for normal driving - that's what the auto mode is for.
    I think paddle shifters are mostly bought by younger men that don't really know how drive a manual to get a feel for shifting gears themselves. Or the paddle shifters come with a handling package they want. Maybe some are showing off who knows, who cares. I personally never considered it a macho thing to row rather than glide.

I think most middle age or older drivers are more mature minded than you think and are way past that showoff stage. Driving a stick is nothing special. I think there are large numbers of people out there that can drive a manual just fine but actually prefer an automatic for assorted reasons.

About the only middle age people that I see routinely showing off are those that drive 4 wheel drive p/u trucks all jacked up, fog lights that are used 365 days a year and a decal of a little cartoon character p**ing on the competitor brand in the back window. Those are the real special ones. ;)
    Their functions are identical: Shifting through the gears unnecessarily. I served my time on stick shifts, and I don't want to go back there. ;)

Occasionally I find myself on a curvy isolated road, and use my Shiftronic just for giggles and grins. It's not a lot of fun, but fun nonetheless.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Shifting through the gears unnecessarily.

Who said you have to use them to "shift through the gears"? I used mine just to hold a lower gear while going through twisty roads so you could blast out of the corner. Or to force it to stay in 5th gear to avoid a downshift. I hardly ever started out in manual mode and shifted all the way through the gears. That's why I said it wasn't a substitute for a manual at all. It's just an automatic with more precise control. Like the old PRND321 but with more selections and no automatic upshifts.
    Most middle-aged people are more likely to be experienced with driving MTs since they were more pervasive 20-30 years ago.

As to paddle shifters, they came on my car. I wouldn't pay extra for them as an option. I have used them a few times. First was just to get familiar. After that, I've used them to move to a lower gear in advance of passing. Beyond that, I let the AT do it's thing. I figure the engineers are smarter than I when it comes to the ideal gear at any given speed.

As to the pickup thing, well, I better not go there. One simply wonders if they're compensating.
    edited March 2010
    I thought you were gunna get a Forte?? You change your mind like my Fiance changes shoes

And get a load a this. Now I'm driving with my wife up to Elko, NV, for a job interview on Monday. That is an isolated mining town in NE Nevada that has a need for a Certified Respiratory Therapist. And things in little 'ole Willcox, AZ, at the hospital there are staying the same. Too much so for the both of us. My wife worked in Willcox at the same hospital I do. She already quit so she needs a new job, too. I still have my job but will turn in my resignation next workweek. I'm waiting to get my new job first.

My wife may be interviewing or at least talking to someone about a job in a nursing home's kitchen there in Elko. So our lives are gonna be a' changin' real quickly here.

The point I am heading to here is that Elko is a snowy, cold place that has long winters. I will take the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS up there with us but I don't know for how long. It will give me a chance to see how the car does in the snow and ice, that is for sure.

We'll be going over Hoover Dam and of course, I'm gonna take the wife to Lost Wages on the way up to Elko. Duh! :blush:

And, ta keep it 2.0 Midsize here, I still can't get one of these Japanese midsize sedans in 2.4L 185hp 6-speed GTS form out of my mind. Humm.

2010 Suzuki Kizashi

One of the reviewers on Edmunds of the new Suzuki Kizashi says the midsize sedan handles the snow well. So there's my excuse to get a new 2010 Suzuki Kizashi, right? Right.

That is the one I want, right there. Same color, Platinum Silver Metallic. And the one pictured here is the GTS, I can tell because it has the painted alloys the GTS gets. Cool. Icy cool.

edited March 2010

This new plug-in hybrid from Mitsubishi called the PX-MiEV might fit the bill better in snowy Elko, NV. This SUV has AWD.

The PX-MiEV has come equipped with with its S-AWC all-wheel-drive system (a similar setup is in the Lancer Evolution), but uses two electric motors -- one at each axle -- for power. The PX-MiEV has an approximately 30-mile range in EV mode, but a 1.6-liter I-4 can serve as a generator for longer trips. If those journeys also require higher speeds or passing maneuvers, the four-banger can directly power the front wheels -- something that can't be said for the Chevrolet Volt.

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Snowy? Cold?

Average of 28 inches of snow per year and average high of 37 in Jan...that's neither snowy, nor cold. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elko,_Nevada#Geography_and_climate
    well, compared to the hot sun of Willcox, Elko is cold. Very cold.

Today the forecast is 50 degrees for a high and it is currently 16 degrees. That is cold, bro.

Compared to Arizona it is. ;)
    If those journeys also require higher speeds or passing maneuvers, the four-banger can directly power the front wheels -- something that can't be said for the Chevrolet Volt.

1. That's because the Volt is an EV, not a hybrid. EREV, actually: Electric Range-Extended Vehicle. It only carries a gas engine to keep the battery going after it's 40 mile all-electric range.

2. The Volt survived the Pikes Peak challenge so I doubt there are any situations that would have a need to supplement the electric motor with the ICE.
    We shall see, that is if it ever hits production. A lot good a concept car does going up Pikes Peak if they can't get it onto dealer lots.
    edited March 2010

Are you as interested in this Mitsubishi PX-MiEV as I am? This one would do us right in Elko, NV. I am shortly going to find out how our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS does over there in the Great Nevada Basin area.

But the PX-MiEV is a big, modern looking SUV that looks really well-designed. I am really interested in the "green" attributes of this larger-than-Outlander new SUV from Mitsubishi.

Enough on the PX-MiEV, this is a Midsize Sedans 2.0 thread.