Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    edited July 2010
    Yeah wow I'm reading the autoblog one now. Very impressive indeed.

Here's the MT: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1007_2011_hyundai_sonata_turbo_drive/- - specs.html

and the autoblog if anyone is interested: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/12/first-drive-2011-hyundai-sonata-2-0t-brings-t- - urbo-to-main-stree/

I'm saying wow a lot but wow: "While we'll withhold a firm verdict until we can get a production model back on U.S. soil, for the moment, the Sonata 2.0T appears to be an almost supernaturally accomplished entrant in the family sedan sweepstakes. "
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited July 2010
    autoblog uses the word "supernatural" ta describe the Sonata 2.0T? Does that mean they really like it?

dash5, don't get discouraged by K5's wheels. I think Schreyer has hit a styling home run with the 2011 Kia Optima's design. Love that NE ta SW slant angle for the gearshift cupholder area! Great!

I don't know why Kia's not showing some desirable wheels for this K5, though, either. One of the many things I love on my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS are it's cool 10-spoke wheels. The '11 Optima is done beautifully overall...I think it's a work of art. Kia, complete the deal with some real wheels now! This is a critical sales effect time for the car...make it complete, dudes. ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Congrats, and welcome to the world of Mazda. I've had my '10 6S GT for close to a month now, and I've had nothing but grins on my face when behind the wheel.
    I will say that Mazda's advertising is poor. That might have something to do with it.

Gee, ya think? :P

The ONLY advertising I've seen for the 6 in the past year is the current model year-end lease deal they're offering around here. That's it. If Mazda had half the budget of Toyota's advertising, they wouldn't have enough of 'em.

Mazda6: The best-kept secret in the midsize sedan category...
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Mazda6: The best-kept secret in the midsize sedan category...

+1
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who were looking at mid-size vehicles and were choosing between a four and six cylinder engine but chose the four cylinder because of fuel prices or to save money. Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Monday, July 19, 2010.
  • exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    Mazda6 i AT, first tank, 460 miles mixed driving, 27.9 mpg.
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    Welcome 'ext123' to being a new Mazda 6 owner. The Mazda 6 is the "best kept secret of the mid-size sedan class" Owning a "6" means you like to be a little different, like a sporty drivers car and doesn't follow the boring Camry/Accord crowd over the cliff.
    I own an 07 6i 5-door and love it. I only wish the current series offered a 5-door again. I had a 2003 6s w/ the 6-cyl. but it got stolen and got the 4-cyl. I find it has enough power and I like the way it "snarls" when I gun it. My MPG runs from about 24 city to 30 highway. Not Bad
    BTW, The old "Zoom-Zoom" ads were great. But Mazda must have cut their ad budget. :shades:
    I own an 07 6i 5-door and love it. I only wish the current series offered a 5-door again.

I own a 2005 Mazda6 i 5-door 4-cyl 5-speed, and if Mazda ever brought over the current JDM Mazda6 5-door, I would buy it instantly!!
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    My thoughts also "aviboy95" They are making a mistake in trying to get more of the Camry/Accord crowd. :shades:
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to talk with someone who is shopping for a new Taurus or recently bought one. If you care to share your story, please email your daytime contact information and your brief thoughts on the car to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 23, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chinorthchinorth Member Posts: 6
    I'm choosing between a 2010 Fusion, 2010 Accord, or a used Fusion/Accord.

I am having a REAL hard time figuring out why I wouldn't choose the Fusion in either case here. If Consumer Reports and Edmunds user reviews are to be believed, used Fusions have been much more reliable than their Accord counterparts...Honda seems to have been phoning it in reliability-wise on the Accord for the last couple of years. As for the new cars, I love the look (well, at least the front end) of the 2010 Fusions and their interiors are fantastic...style, fit and finish is more European than...well...Ford-like. The Accord, on the other hand, feels too over-the-top on the inside for me. If I go new, with the deals Ford is throwing around ($2500 incentive in my region) I can basically get one with a V6, leather and Sync for under $24K...$22K if I opt for a 4-banger. Honda's prices are competitive as well currently, but...dang. And they don't offer anything like Sync.

Why do I even consider the Accord? Power. I love their V6s, both old and new. LOVE them. Have warm fuzzy DREAMS about them. Plus we're the happy owners of a 2009 CR-V. So there's some brand loyalty at play. Before I looked into Fusions just a few weeks ago, I never would have even considered a Ford. It's been tough to "free my mind" as it were. Plus, on a shallow note, Accords don't carry that Ford stigma.

So...New Fusion vs. New Accord vs. 2007 Fusion vs. 2007 Accord...help me...someone... :confuse:
    For my money I'd go with the Ford easily and I'm not a Ford guy. My dad and sister in law have the 2010 Accord, and it's a nice car. We have the 2008 CR-V and we love ours as well. The Fusion though gets fantastic reviews, has the SYNC, has the nice V6, great interior. My only problem with the Fusion is it's a bit bland looking for me, but it's better looking than the Accord so even there I give it the edge in this match up.
    If power is your thing, have you looked at a Mazda 6 with the 3.7L V6?

The new deals are excellent now, and since used-car prices have recently risen with lower supplies of them, IMO buying new is the way to go.

Before buying my 6, I drove a Fusion SEL and Sport (both with V6) and an Accord V6. The V6 is nice in the Accord, but the package wrapped around it disappoints. The styling is too frumpy and bulbous and the interior is too button-happy for my tastes. The Fusion was an impressive package overall, but IMO the 3.5L V6 in the Sport is smoother and more flexible than the 3.0L, and handling was more positive as well.

My advice: Get the Fusion Sport.
    edited July 2010
    I'm torn with the Mazdas. I like their body design, but I just don't feel comfortable in them...maybe it's the seats. They sure handle nicely though.

I like the Fusion Sport but not sure I could get one and stay in my budget (and get leather :D ). Also, the 3.5 takes quite a hit on fuel economy...at least according to the EPA numbers. The 3.0 is a nice compromise.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    edited July 2010
    I too like Mazda body styles but I know what your talking about in regards to the comfort factor. While they are stylish as hell, what has kept me from getting one is the uncomfortableness of the seats and ride quality. Its definitely designed for the more sport/firm oriented people and I would like it for an hour or two a week but not for everyday commuting driving. That bumpy ride would get to me after a while.

But for some people that floats their boat!
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I'd throw a better option that both into the mix.(more on that later)

But first, I wanted to mention getting a 1-2 year old car versus new. I know a lot of people get weird about this, but the simple fact is that you can save yourself 5-10K off of a new vehicle by doing this when you add in registration, insurance, tax, and the price difference. These days, even the cheapest car are good for 100K+ miles, so getting a car with 10-20K on it isn't a factor, really. As long as the original warranty in is force, you should buy something used or certified if it makes you feel happier(though the 2-5K difference between private party and dealer buys a LOT of detailing).

So on to the car I recommend. The best car that I've driven for the money in the last year was the Pontiac G8/Holden Commodore. Used, these are enormous bargains, and quite honestly, the best vehicle GM has made to date(or to be more accurate, their Australian division). It's still made and for sale over there, and is planned to be a full-cycle vehicle as well(5-8 years), so parts isn't an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VE_Commodore - mainstream line since 1978. This model was introduced in 2006, so it's still in the middle of its production cycle.

The pros are that it has RWD(handles more like a CTS* or 5 series than a FWD sofa on wheels), tons of power, a great interior, and well, there's a reason that it's by far the best selling car in its segment over there. GM had rocks in its head when it stopped selling its #2 car worldwide in the U.S.(the CTS being its #1, but at 40K, it's stupidly expensive)

* The asterisk is because it has the same engine, and nearly the same suspension as the previous generation CTS. If you're thinking "Pontiac - ecchhh", it's only "Pontiac" because GM stuck the wrong badge on the back (should have been a Chevrolet G8, because it's FAR better than the Impala). Note - many people order the Australian badges and replace them on the car. Saves confusion and looks better, IMO.

And it's cheap to buy one a year used.
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=271175455
    $22K, 3K miles, certified(dealer program car most likely with that little mileage - not a rental). This car originally sold for almost 30K. That represents a 10K total savings for a car that will drive and look exactly like new.

And it is a better car than the Fusion, Mazda 6, or the Accord V6.
    edited July 2010
    Regarding new vs. used: agree. That's why I'm looking at the 2007 Fusions as well. The catch here is that the 2010s are a grade above in terms of styling and fit/finish. There are some used 2010s out there, but with the deals available, they cost MORE than new.

Now, as for the G8:
    Oh, believe me, I know all about the G8. I'm half Aussie...I covet those cars.

What holds me back is it would require snow tires in winter (it snows where I live...a lot), my wife will be driving it from time to time (RWD may scare her in bad weather), and the prospect of dropping $20K+ on a used vehicle...the latter sounds silly but it's just me.

But yeah, G8's are awesome, and on a different plane than the Accord/Mazda6/Fusion/Malibu/Altima/etc. G8's are more in line with G35s and 3-series bimmers, but for the more budget conscious. They also share the G35's thirst for gas.

I also worry about parts...yes, the Holden Commodore isn't going anywhere, but whether or not parts will be in ready supply state-side is a different issue. And the body style is completely different (edit: ok, somewhat different and perhaps interchangeable), so that's an additional issue if one has a fender bender 2 or 3 years down the line.

Won't argue though. G8's fecking rock. :shades: GM was foolish not to hand it off to another badge when they shutdown Pontiac.
    New 2011 Kia Optima, turbo. I'd wait for that before I bought if you're unsure. Assuming you like the look of it.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The prior version of the Mazda6 was sporty. I can't say I'd describe the new version that way.

I happen to have a 2009 as a loaner in place of my 2007. I don't like what they have done to the ride and handling at all. I'd have to say it seems more similar to a 2007 Taurus than a 2007 Mazda6.

To me the seat in the 2009 is plenty comfortable (I assume the current model year has the same seat), but the side bolsters are designed for people much wider than me. I like the 2007 seat back much better, it fits me. I did sit in one with leather seats in the showroom a while back (probably a 2009) and I did not find that seat to be comfortable, it seemed like the cushion was shorter than it is with the cloth seats.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    What's up with your '07?
  • volvownervolvowner Member Posts: 37
    Sounds like you ought to have the Fusion at the top of your list...and the 2010s were improved enough that unless I couldn't afford new I wouldn't buy the used one. Don't worry about Ford's image -- the Fusion is breaking through that for people in the know, and it's not like Honda has a great cachet either.

IF you wanted a 4-cyl, I'd recommend the Accord. Honda makes one of the smoothest 4-cyl's out there, and I found Ford's to be kind of whiny and less powerful. I bought the Accord coupe for the 190hp 4-cyl and better styling, and am very satisfied after 7 mths.
    Against the 1st-gen 6 (which I owned), the 2nd-gen isn't as sporty, I'll give you that.

Compare it to every other vehicle listed on the right side, that's a different story.

The 2nd-gen did lose their edge, but compared to the Accord, Altima, Sonata, and Passat (of which I've driven at least once this past spring), nothing comes close to what the 6 STILL offers. Wait, I'll take that back, the Fusion Sport does, but a huge reason why is because it still rides on the last-gen 6 platform, and it's suspension has been upgraded from the standard Fusion.

The comparison to the '07 Taurus? Now that's a little low, don't you think? :)
    Just a dash rattle that my dealer was nice enough to try to fix, even though it is beyond the warranty for that sort of thing. I had reported it when it was new but it was very intermittent then and gradually happened more and more frequently over time.
    One thing I hadn't noticed before posting that is the '09 I have has the steel wheels with "65" series tires so that is probably a factor in the handling.

It's sad if this is as good as it gets anymore. But most likely I'll go to a "compact" whenever I get my next car as everything "midsize" is getting too big.

A positive with the new 6 is that I definitely noticed the more powerful 4 cyl in the '09 vs. the '07.
    One thing I hadn't noticed before posting that is the '09 I have has the steel wheels with "65" series tires so that is probably a factor in the handling.

I'd agree with that, since my new 6 has the 18" wheels and 45-series tires, and I've driven a '10 with the 17" wheels and 55-series tires, and I noticed a difference even then.

A positive with the new 6 is that I definitely noticed the more powerful 4 cyl in the '09 vs. the '07.

You think that's impressive, try going from a 1st-gen V6 to a 2nd-gen V6. I'm still adjusting my right foot to take it easy pulling from a stop sign...
  • thepieguythepieguy Member Posts: 14
    Hey. Sounds like we're in a very similar buying situation. I was pretty hot on both the Accord and Altima at first but am now very underwhelmed by them, especially after testing driving a Fusion Sport.

As far as I know, EPA estimates on the 3.0 and 3.5 in the Fusion are almost identical. And the Sport is the only way to get the higher quality (Japanese made) 6-speed auto that is paired with the 3.5. The other 6-speed auto has had a few problems but I wouldn't worry too much. When you option them out equally, the Sport isn't all that much more than an SEL with the 3.0.

Anyways, even though the Sport is stretching my budget a little bit more than what we wanted to spend, I'm 99% sure it's what we are going to buy. Except I am going to try to get the wife to test drive a 2008 G35X with me HEHE.

RE: new vs. used... I totally understand the argument that people have for used cars but they often quote MSRP when they tell you how much you would save by buying used. Nobody on this forum is dumb enough to buy a car for MSRP. If you buy a new car that has good incentives and also smartly negotiate a great deal, it greatly if not totally wipes out the massive 1st year of depreciation. It's hard to put a value on it, but you also get a FULL warranty and you know exactly how the car is being treated from the get-go. I'd also put a good amount of value on having the latest and greatest safety features like stability control. I could go on but this post is already too long, sorry.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    I bought a 2010 Sport last September, trading a Camry Hybrid in on it. I have not regretted it one iota! To date, other then me being a little too hard on the brakes when new and having to have the rotors trued(which btw the dealer did a great job, car stops even better now), I have not had 1 single problem with the car. I warped the brakes by driving it too hard, the car is that much fun to drive. The 3.5 can get 32MPG on the highway, and my average MPG has hovered around 24 MPG, but I drive it hard too, no granny style, or hypermiling in this beast. I drive a mix of country/city, not a lot of open highway. The quality IMO is far superior to the Camry, it is quiet, well made, plenty of room, and handles very very well. I like the SYNC so much I let the Sirius lapse, but I think they include a 2 year subscription too when you buy new. I think you would be VERY happy in a Fusion.
    RE: new vs. used...

Agreed. If purchased smartly, and are able to keep right side up in the loan, you can do very well buying a new car. I have done that now for 3 years. I bought a 2007 Prius in April 2007, paid MSRP on it, which at the time WAS a good deal, got 2.9% financing, drove it for 10 months, didn't like it, didn't feel safe in it with my wife and 2 kids, and traded it in on a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz(big difference :)) trade in value was way more than I owed, in fact it was still near the MSRP that I paid with 24K miles on it. Bought the VC for a little under MSRP, they weren't dealing too much on them at the time, got 6.9% financing, put 18K on it over 2 years, traded it in on a 2010 Flex Ecoboost, got more than I owed on it in trade, and got a check back from the bank on overpayment of $500, got the Flex for $36K, and 3.9%, payments $114 a month less than the VC. In April of 2008 bought a 2009 Camry Hybrid for far under MSRP, got 6.5% financing on it, drove it for 34K miles, traded in in last year for a Fusion Sport, got what I owed on it, and got the fusion for just under MSRP( I could have done better, but I needed to dump the Camry while it still had value), got 0% financing on it, and pay less per month than I did on the Camry.

Summing it all up, I took what I paid out on these 3 cars that I bought in traded over the past 3 years. Considering depreciation values, what I paid, not including fuel and insurance since those are pretty much the same on any car, it was not much different than had I leased the cars, without any penalties, time limits, or over mileage that you would get on a lease.

Compared to used cars I bought in the past, with higher finance rates, huge depreciation rates, the older it is, the more miles you put on it, the more it all adds up, I was always upside down on the used cars. I have not been upside down on any of the cars I bought new. I don't know where I stand on the Fords yet, the Fusion looks promising, it should hold it's value, the Flex, unknown, but that doesn't matter, once I drove it with the Ecoboost I was hooked, and will most likely keep that one for a long time, as well as the Fusion. I looked for a long time to find a car I really liked, and the 2010 Sport fit, as for the family ride, the Flex fits it very well too. Ford did an Excellent job with these two cars. So upside down or not, I like the cars and plan to keep them for quite a long time, way past the time the last payment is due. I have a 1999 F350 that I bought back in 02, and it is fully paid for and I have no plans whatsoever to replace it, even though I no longer drive it. I have it for when I need it, and insurance is dirt cheap on it. Once I find a car I like, I hang on to it for a very long time. I traded a 2001 F150 in on it that i got upside down on due to having a used car that I was upside down on, but the dealer made me a good deal which worked out well for both of us, and that was the last time I bought used.
    edited July 2010
    It is interesting how the Edmunds 5-year TCO on the 2007 Fusions is only 3K or so less than the 2010s. It certainly isn't in line with the $6-8K one seemingly saves on the initial purchase of used vs. new. A lot of that benefit evaporates on maintenance costs.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have tried to decide between the 2010 SEL and the Sport. I like the more powerful engine. The low profile tires will not be known for their long term wear, if I am guessing right. What about the suspension? Is it really stiff or does it absorb the bumps? The SEL is really smooth, but I have not driven the Sport.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    Have you read about Accords V6 VCM vibrations? Some people don't notice, some pull their hair out. Also there were some complaints about sloshing noises from the gas tanks.

The Fusion, on the other hand, has some cases of gurgling noise in the heater core, but I think it's pretty rare. At least that's the feeling I get. There's no way I know of to get the numbers.

Also, looks are of course, a personal opinion, but to me, the front of the Fusion and Accord look great, but in the back, the Accord looks a bit too swelled up in the top of the trunk for me.

I wound up with a Fusion SE I4, and have no regrets.

Good luck with your decision. :shades:
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I'd go with the 2010 Fusion if it were me. I'm not a Ford guy and swore them off after my family had several ford products in the 1980's, but I've had Fusions as rental cars a lot lately and have been very impressed with the car. I actually choose the Fusion now when I rent. I've rented a couple of new Accords, they're OK, but if I were buying it would be the Fusion.

On the new vs. used, I prefer new, but in this case I'd definitely go with the 2010 Fusion, they made a lot of great improvements in the new model and I think you'd be happier with it than the 2007.
  • xmechxmech Member Posts: 90
    Yeah, new vs used is another thing people can argue about forever. There isn't right or wrong, it's just what you like, because you're the one that has to live with it.
    The tires on the Sport are 18" Goodyear Eagle RS-As, and from what I've seen, typical mileage is anywhere from 40-50K miles before replacement, which is typical for a performance all-season tire. The 17" tires are Michelin, and IMO they won't get much more, although the ride will be smoother than the 18", at the expense of handling.

The Sport suspension is pretty good for me. The SEL suspension was too soft for my tastes, but then again, my tastes tend to the sports car side, so, as with the tires, YMMV. :)
    The RS-A tires have pretty good wear, but wet weather traction stinks with the 3.5L engine. OTOH my Flex Ecoboost as the same tires, but in 20" size, and with AWD, traction is absolutely fine, not once have I spun a tire. My Sport is FWD, the AWD may have better wet weather traction with the goodyears. I may consider finding a pair of better tires for the front of the Sport, only for better wet traction. Ride and handling are pretty darn good for a family sedan, compared to the Camry I had, the Sport is a Ferrari in turns. Nice smooth ride, firm cornering, overall a nice car. If you decide on the Sport, you will be pretty happy with it.

Go drive a Sport, then drive the SEL, find a road with some twists and compare the two. You will probably not notice too much difference between the two when it comes to road noise, bumps are noticeable, but that is a trade off to get metter handling.
    The tires on the Sport are 18" Goodyear Eagle RS-As, and from what I've seen, typical mileage is anywhere from 40-50K miles before replacement

I've seen the exact opposite from the RS-A's. I have not really seen many go past 20-25K.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    I had RS-As on my Focus. Got 38k out of them, but I rotated them every 5k and checked air pressure on a regular basis. They were only rated for about 30K.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    If things work out I'll be driving a 2010 SEL V6 within the next day or two (dealer needs to find one with the specs I want). I liked the Sport, but missed the additional interior features I could get on the SEL for the same price. I didn't feel much difference between the 3.0 and the 3.5, to be honest. I did like the Sport's suspension setup.

I test drove a 2007 but it just wasn't the same. It was good, but the 2010 felt a cut above.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    edited August 2010
    A friend of mine just bought a 2010 Fusion V6 SEL in silver. I own a 2006 SEL V6 in the same light silver color. For grins we parked them side by side and did about 1 hour of comparing. I like the interior of the new 10 Fusion much better than my 06. However, personally I wish Ford would have stuck with the stacked head lamp look. I feel this looks better. My friend says the 06 style had a bit too much chrome in the front areas for his taste. Styling is a personal choice, as we all know. He is happy and satisfied with his decision to buy a Fusion. Oh, and the tweaked 3.0 in the 2010 is also noticeable improvement over my 06 3.0. Power bump is noticeable.
  • netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Am wondering if anyone has experience with either of these cars when the mileage is above 75,000 miles?

There are a number of comments both positive and negative regarding these vehicles. Recently the longtime reigning longevity champions have come under
    attack for declining quality in some areas.

Your input is most appreciated.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited August 2010
    by the "reigning longevity champions" do you mean Toyota and their Camry and Honda and their Accord? I don't think that either the Kia Optima or the Hyundai Sonata would have that many owners with miles over 75,000 to chime in on here for their car's longevity or their car's problems with one thing or the other. But then again, I have certainly been wrong before. ;)

Please splane yerself futher, mister.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    Hi there iluv:

Yes, I was referring to the CamCord vehicles. According to postings on various websites and blogs, some of these cars have been virtually trouble free, while others have been repeatedly plagued with minor problems or major recalls.

Checking my local dealers I'm finding two year old (08) Optimas and Sonatas with well over 40k miles on the clock. Granted these are high milers, mostly from rental and fleet leases. I recently came across an '08 Optima EX with 44K which was traded in by a private owner. The '09's which are now showing up on used car lots have between 25-35K miles indicated. That would indicate an average yearly mileage of around 20-22K for privately owned vehicles, more for rentals.

Spectras from rental fleets are also showing up with mileages in the same range as the Optima/Sonata cars. I did see two Spectras one '05 and one '04 with over 100K.

From multiple sites, comments that some private owners put as much as 25-30K on their cars annually commuting or work related, then 75K is not an unreasonable
    mileage to inquire about as to long-term ownership and durability of the Optima/Sonata vehicles.

It seems logical that an '06, '06.5 or an '07 would have mileage near or over the 75K mark.

An acquaintance of mine buys for several major dealers and he reports that there are cars of vintages ranging from '04 onward showing up with well over 100K and as high as 150K going thru the auctions. He's been in the business for over 13 years and he said that he'd never seen so much high mileage junk going thru the auctions for ridiculous prices in his experience.

There are owners out there who put between 25-30K per year on their cars. These are the owners who can more accurately indicate what problems presented themselves as the vehicle aged.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    don't have real experience with the vehicles you are asking about, but i see people at work who had '02-03 Hyundai's replacing them with new ones.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited August 2010
    An acquaintance of mine buys for several major dealers and he reports that there are cars of vintages ranging from '04 onward showing up with well over 100K and as high as 150K going thru the auctions. He's been in the business for over 13 years and he said that he'd never seen so much high mileage junk going thru the auctions for ridiculous prices in his experience.

By "junk", is he referring to used cars in general or Hyundai/Kia in particular?

Either way, it sounds he's ignorant of the market in general over the past 2 years.

Used-car prices in general have gone way up, simply because inventories are lower than they have been in years. Between the Cash for Clunkers deals last year removing a lot of potential used vehicles off the road, and the fact that new-car sales were terrible until a few months ago (and they still haven't reached pre-recession levels), owners are holding on to their vehicles for longer periods of time, keeping them from flooding the used-car market. Many others who usually bought new simply chose to buy used due to tighter financial budgets as well.

As for Hyundai/Kia, they've made HUGE improvements over the past five years, so much that I'm not surprised about their pricing for used cars. I don't see any problem choosing a used Sonata/Optima over the tons of Malibu/Taurus vehicles that are available. I also know of current Sonata/Optima owners that have replaced older models with new ones, as well as a person that just bought their second USED Hyundai (each for their daughters, and both are running well).
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Either way, it sounds he's ignorant of the market in general over the past 2 years

That's pretty harsh. If he is and has been in the business for the past 13 years as the OP said, he should certainly not be ignorant of the market and undoubtedly more aware than you or I. I don't know if you work in the auto auction business but it sounds like he was just making the comment that he considered the prices for some used cars too high and historically speaking they are too high in his opinion thus "high mileage junk at ridiculous prices". Sounds to me that he is totally aware of market conditions but doesn't have to agee with them.
    Used-car prices in general have gone way up

You can say that again....

I cannot buy a used car at an auction for anywhere remotely close to book value. I have to almost pay retail to get these cars now. Every dealer is in the same boat as well. Don't be surprised to see used car prices go waaaay up from what they have been the past few months.

Just an example to stay with the topic of this thread, 3 months ago, I bought two 2008 Mazda6 i Sport Value Editions with automatic transmissions for around $11,700 with 30,000 miles from Manheim in Florida (I live in CT). Today, to buy the same car I'm looking at $13,000++.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Anybody see a pattern?

New car prices fall due to bloated inventories and huge rebates and competition.
    Used car prices fall.

New car prices rise due to production cutbacks and fewer incentives.
    Used car prices rise.
    2008 Mazda6 i Sport Value Editions with automatic transmissions...$13,000++.

That is what I own and mine has that same mileage, only difference is it is a 2007. I paid $16,000 for it as a new car...I guess I've not suffered much depreciation so far.

So maybe the letters we have gotten about dealers wanting to buy our vehicles for top dollar (even got one for our 1997 Windstar ) are actually legitimate and not just a ploy to sell us a car?
    So maybe the letters we have gotten about dealers wanting to buy our vehicles for top dollar (even got one for our 1997 Windstar ) are actually legitimate and not just a ploy to sell us a car?

Probably legit. Used car inventory is low.