Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    So I got a chance to go check out the vehicles at the Detroit Auto Show (NAIAS) yesterday. Based on floor traffic, Ford was rockin' but based on engineers measuring and benchmarking, Hyundai/Kia were pretty busy. There was a lot of activity in the GM booth around the Volt and the Sonic. Toyota's booth seemed almost empty except for a couple of Siennas. The Scion area was more about the booth then the vehicles, and the Lexus area was full of clipboards and measuring equipment.
    As far as the mid-sizers go, the Hyundai seems to offer styling while the Kia is more driver oriented. I am curious to see how the Optima does with a Fusion in terms of driving feel and handling. Mazda had a very pedestrian looking Mazda6 on display. There were 3 Passats in the VW display...I think the color choices have a lot to do with how fancy it feels; the white/beige-yellow Passat GL felt very plain even though it was comfortable and had the power package. They over all package seemed plain but inoffensive. There were a few Legacys (Legacies?) there at various trim levels...that car got a lot bigger than our Legacy wagon. It does look like the rear seat would do better with child seats than our '05 wagon does. I didn't get to see the new Regal at the show although I've driven the base 4 cylinder a bit already. I am sure it was at the show, I just managed to miss it.
  • acdiiacdii Member Posts: 753
    Latest commercial on TV for a Kia, could be the Optima, didn't listen, just caught glimpses as the DVR skipped through it, but I thought it was a Ford commercial for the Taurus, until I saw the Hyundai logo.

Anyone else noticed how similar they look at a glance? So Hyundai is copying Ford now, says a lot about Ford! :)
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Why would a Kia commercial have a Hyundai logo? Are you saying the Optima looks like the Taurus? Other than the fender vent, I dont see it.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,966
    Hahahahahahah...now that was funny...and probably just what we need to get this forum moving along. Akirby, thanks so much for the belly laugh you just gave me...priceless!!! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Can we please get back to the topic at hand, Mid sized sedans & stop the "tranny talk". Please ignore this post if we've already moved on...I'm still a few days back & it's getting a bit "tedious" already. T I A all.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Marketing can only go so far, the Camry sells so well is because it gives folks what they want in a daily driver...it's not a "great car", but it must be doing something right. True, it does a lot of fleet sales but for the majority of folks, it just gets the job done in a comfortable way...who could ask for more?

Maybe it's me...I just don't see it. :confuse:

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited January 2011
    It's interesting to see what different people think is "stylish" and good looking in a sedan, and what others think is "boring" ugly. IMO there is not much difference between the two.

Case in point: 2011 Optima vs. 2012 Passat. First, the Optima:

Now the Passat:

What are the differences? Here's what I see that jumps out:

* Different C-pillar: Optima has a 2nd window built into the rear door with a thicker C-pillar, and Passat has the 2nd window behind the rear door. Both have a Hofmesiter Kink style C-pillar, however.

* Rear lamps: Optima's are cut further into the body, but otherwise they are pretty similar.

* Front air dam: The ends on the Optima cant upwards more than the Passat's.

* Moonroof: Optima has the optional panoramic moonroof.

Oh, and the Optima has the little Taurus-like vents in the front fenders (known in the Rust Belt as "just another place for road salt to accumulate").

That's about it. I don't see huge differences between the styling of the two cars. Yet the Optima has been called by some the best-looking mid-sized sedan, while the Passat has been generally blasted as being "boring".

Why is that??
    I think there is a huge difference, the Optima is clearly a head turner while the best you can say about the Passat is that it is conservative and not offensive.

Taken from the side:

The Optima gives a look of constant motion by it's rising lines in the greenhouse and the way the rear windows sweep up. It looks athletic, with clean lines and a sporty vibe to it. The Passat also has the clean lines, but you would not look at it and say sporty, or in any way distinguishable from any other sedan out there. It's fairly non descript, in that color anyway.

Looking at the optima from yet another angle you see the blackened roof which I really feel lends itself to standing out amongst the crowd in the midsized segment. Seeing an Optima in person you can really appreciate how good it looks.

To me it's no contest. The Passat might look ok, and granted I havent seen it in person, but it's hardly a head turner. The Kia on the other hand is rightly praised for it's looks and classic styling. In fact these two were the subject of an article in the Washington Post today:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/14/AR2011011403197.- html

"In short, Volkswagen's strategy is to assuage consumer price sensitivity by removing content from its vehicles, which can be viewed as a common-sense approach in economically hard times. At Volkswagen, you pay for what you get, and what you get meets consumer expectations.

Kia may have a better idea. You pay a bit more. But what you get vastly exceeds consumer expectations. It is a favorable shock, one that elicited joy and surprise from nearly everyone who got behind the wheel of the Optima SX.

Ria Manglapus, who works with me on vehicle evaluations, was so happy that I was going to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and leaving the Optima SX in her hands, she drove me to the airport.

"Wow!" she said. "What a car! I can't believe this is a Kia. Wow! Wow!"

No one expressed that kind of joy over the 2011 Jetta. People were just happy that Volkswagen had reduced the car's price. But that happiness was tempered by the realization of the "de-contenting" that Volkswagen employed in getting to that price.

At the media preview of the auto show here, the Kia stand was swarming with journalists excitedly examining the new Optima. But over at the Volkswagen display, they were puzzling over VW's introduction of a new midsize Passat family sedan. Their consensus: The new Passat is going to have to be priced just right and offer much more than consumers expect to top the Optima and its sibling Hyundai Sonata sedan in the marketplace. "
    On the side view, the only significant differences are the styling of the C-pillar, and the bigger tail lamps on the Optima (more visible from the side). Amazing that a different C-pillar can make the difference between athletic and boring.

I have a feeling VW was not going for "sporty" when they penned the new Passat. I think their target was more "luxury European sedan", even though the car is not priced in luxury territory. Maybe trying to get people to think they got something higher-end than what they paid for. Conservative styling is de rigueur at VW and has been for some time. So I really didn't expect a far-out styling exercise from VW on the new Passat.

IMO, the styling of the Optima and Passat have more in common than they have differences. Maybe because Kia's styling meister came from Audi, which is also known for sedans with simple, clean lines.

I read an article the other day about how Toyota's execs are now thinking they need to be more avant garde with styling, to stand out more in the ever-crowded and ever more competitive car market. VW must think there's still a lot of buyers who like conservatively-styled sedans. Sales numbers will tell us if they guessed right.
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Great post dash. I agree with you on the appearance. While most sedans in this segment are pretty similar, it is small differences that are noticed. The new passat's styling is not offensive, but is quite bland and pedestrian. The Optima's windows and headlights are more aggressive, and the taillights are aggressive with the wraparound, while the passat's taillights are conservative.

VW is nuts if they think they are going to win big market share with this strategy. Let's see - a decontented German car, bland styling, lousy dealer network, subpar reliability, and expensive repairs. The things we loved about VW (interiors, quality, styled a bit different) are gone, but the things we don't like (expensive repairs, dealers, reliability) are not fixed! Right, everybody will be flocking to buy these! :surprise:
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,489
    well, I like this passat way more than the current mile. And IMO, the exterior just needs to be repsectable looking (and nicely conservative is fine, since some "wow" designs don't age well). The interior is way more important in the design equation.

so I am fine with that styling, especially in a darker color.

and I don't really see why it is a big deal providing an entry level (aka cheap) model to get more buyers into the fold. Not like they will sell all that many anyway.

IIRC, the prior generation offered a basic model. Cloth, no moonroof, manual seats, etc.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

edited January 2011
    Have you seen and sat in the new Passat, in order to determine the interior quality and overall quality is below that of the class? How does its content compare to the rest of the class? How does it drive? How reliable will this new design from the new US factory be?

I don't know where you've been the past decade or so, but VWs haven't been anything special in the styling department for a long time. The previous-gen Jetta was compared to the Corolla, for example. And while the CC is quite fetching (as a lower-cost Mercedes knock-off), the previous Passat was pretty bland. As is almost every other car in this class... including the top sellers.

Personally I am going to wait until I can see, sit in, and drive the new Passat (or at least read several professional test drive reports) before I decide whether VW is crazy or not.

P.S. I love my local VW dealer. Have bought two cars from them. Great sales experiences, great service.

P.P.S. The current Passat has average reliability according to CR.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    IMHO Kia takes place of Pontiac in new world order. It is designed to look sporty, gauges I assume are red, suspension is artificially firmer and even lifeless electric steering is probably artificially heavier and etc. Of course Kia is higher quality and has more modern engines than Pontiac but it is the same approach as Pontiac - take Chevy and make it sporty looking. So take Hyudai make it looking sporty, add red gauges and driver oriented dash and you get "sport"-sedan. Of course there is nothing sporty about Optima, it looks sporty, true, but it is all about style. Did Pontiac survive? Kia is not going to put crappy interiors or pushrod engines in cars like Pontiac did but still it begs the question - will Kia survive, can it compete with Mazda and Ford? Eventually it will push both Ford and Mazda to come up with better designs. But Ford and Mazda will always make better designed and more sporty cars.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited January 2011
    Some of the posts supporting Kia over VW, are making assumptions in a few key areas I'd say. Does the Optima have the German taught yet compliant, quiet, confidence inspiring ride and handling? Has the VW retained those characteristics? I would wager it must have if it is to remain competitive.
    I also feel that having more engine choices within a model, affords exclusivity that the other has more difficulty competing with. Just having an optional diesel, is huge to many of those considering either of those cars. And on the same front, while the Korean 4 banger makes pretty decent power and torque, it is still only a 4 and will not run as smooth as the 5 cylinder. I also suspect that if you drove both spiritedly, the 2.5 will deliver better economy. There is an old saying...no replacement for displacement. And in this case that displacement also includes and entire extra cylinder to spread the chore around.

Give me the one that doesn't have red lit instruments and controls...oh wait...they BOTH do :(

What is this unbelievable attraction to red backlighting? Just let Audi be Audi and carry on the rest of us with white on blk or blk on white, or blk and blue. Soooo much easier on the eyes at night. And cars that have a mix of red in the centre with blue tach and speedo...do they really think that looks natural and good? But don't get me wrong, I'll take as little red as i can get at the expense of good looks one way or the other...especially when the steering wheel controls are also glaring red in my face. There is nothing peaceful or comforting about that. Surely I'm not the only one that doesn't understand their decisions on this anything but smooth, uniform, warm interiors?

And while I am on the verge of a rant...I wish they all would bring back individual ticks on the option page on these items. At least for these popular big ticket options...not everyone wants ALL of these, yet many of us want some.
    - sunroof
    - std vs auto
    - leather seats
    - heated seats - but don't make me buy leather...even if I might appreciate the smell, maybe I don't want to slide around in a seat at sometimes, and not want to sweaty-stick to it at others..
    - power seats - again, don't make me buy leather
    - auto dimming lights, especially rearview...no both...just let me dim my own frig lights will ya??
    - nav
    - auto climate - I HATE this, cuz so few are executed right.
    - high end audio
    - rain sensing wipers...oh sure...the bridge that just dropped some drips out of my peripheral vision and didn't bother me in the least, just triggered the wipers to SMEAR that huge mother of a bug splat, that before, was also not bothering where I needed to see, but now I must stop at the next service centre and wash the whole thing down. All just because some frig techno-worker thinks that if they out-automate their content, that the idiots will buy it up.
    - any rim bigger than 17" - do NOT force me to buy those expensive huge wheels, auto climate and a sunroof, just because I want heated, power seating!!! And something few shoppers are aware of, big wheels require a total change in gearing in order to strike a good compromise with FE and 'go'. And if you think big wheels, what the big deal? Well consider that those in winter climates don't have the big rubber options in true winter tires, and if they do find them, be prepared to spend large.

There are others but I'm sure you get the idea.

Tell me the truth (now I fully expect there will be some rowers against the current) just how many here, would appreciate being able to mix and match and be able to check off those options all independently of each other?
    The 3800 V6 pushrod motor was one of the best engines to ever come out of Detroit.
    forget ala carte optioning. No one, certainly not an import, does that anymore.

as to the red, BMW was the leader in this. There is actually a practical reason for it, in that it is easier for night vision (I believe it does not cause your eyes to react like white does). Pretty sure it is what airplanes use too, which is why BMW does it.

Yeah I agree they were likely not going for sporty, but I still think it's too sedate at least for my tastes. Then again I may not be the target audience. I think when you see what a splash the Sonata made, and that styling is what I'd call polarizing (although not as much as say the new Acura TL), you need a sharp look to win buyers since the practical aspects are so close now for all the competition in this segment. The red and blue pictures I posted the other day though it doesnt look half bad. I think it will do ok, just not an exciting car and not much to draw people in to try it.

As for Toyota I actually think the Camry exterior is pretty good actually, it's just the interior that literally shocks me with how much I dont like it. This is true for more than just the Camry too, the Rav 4 interior compared to the Honda CRV interior is what swung the decision for us to get the CRV.
    Right, knew it was one of those German ideas.

I sure don't agree it is easier at night. To my eyes, and others whom I have spoken with, it is harder to see.
    And even if you can dim down some of them, often they don't let you dim ALL of them.

Really, with LED, it would be so EASY, to let the owner choose. Flick a switch for red, white or blue. So easy...
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    The Optima certainly looks 'neater', but I have the feeling I'd rather be looking out of the Passat. The combination of the wide C pillar and low window on the Optima makes me worry about terrible rear visibility.

But how many think this Passat plus the new Jetta will result in VW DOUBLING their sales the next several years, as predicted by their management??? I doubt it, extremely!
    Kia and more to the point Hyundai have gotten a lot of praise for their new engines. The 2.0 T is sporty for this segment, at least as much as any of the Camcord V6's. It doesnt have to be a Ferarri, it has to look good, have some power to get on the highway, get great fuel economy and have all the amenities for a good price. That's why the Sonata is so successful.

For you to suggest it's all about looking good is simply not the case.
    If it is the same as Sonata don't you have the same problem as GM had with Pontiac? I agree that Optima looks better than Sonata, but other than style and red gauges (which are unfriendly to eyes at night) how it is different? Why every body criticizing GM for badge engineering now sing praises for Hyundai doing the same?

BTW gauges in BMW AFAIK are not red but rather dark orange. It is a big difference.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    IIRC, the prior generation offered a basic model. Cloth, no moonroof, manual seats, etc.

Yeah, but starting at $27K? Hardly a basic price...
    $27k is for the current Passat, which doesn't have a loss-leader trim. A few years ago, the Passat did offer a more basic trim w/o leather, moonroof etc.
    Why every body criticizing GM for badge engineering now sing praises for Hyundai doing the same?

Because the differences between the Hyundai and Kia are much greater than just a different nameplate (which GM did for decades when sharing models between Pontiac, Olds, Buick, and Chevy). There aren't any body panels shared between them, and their experiences behind the wheel are also different.

And for the record, red gauges are used in fighter planes for lower fatigue on pilots at night, and having spent many nights behind the wheel of older GM and Ford products (both green), Nissan (orange and white), and VW (blue), both my last Mazda6 and current Mazda6 have red backlighting (with blue halos behind the speedo and tach on the current Mazda6), and I've never had any problems with eye strain or fatigue. I actually prefer the red over anything else, and was one of the biggest reasons why I bought another Mazda6.
    I agree with. You on the red gagues but that's minor and just personal preference. As to differences: completely different sheet metal, different tuning, different interiors (not just cosmetc), and Optima offers things Sonata does not like coolest seats, panoramic sunroof, supervision cluster, heated steering wheel and soon the UVO system which is like Ford's SYNC.
    First, if you have young eyes and/or don't require reading glasses, then when you do...then you will know why i said what i said.

Plus red has to be done right. Orange is easier on my eyes.

While I like a fair bit about VW's, I do not like how they do red. And the lights on all the centre stack controls are teeny tiny little things that are just a maze of red dots at night to those who need reading glasses. You quite literally can't tell recirculate from fan speed. Once you get to know the car, it becomes less of an issue tho. I used to have to keep a magnifying glass in right arms reach at all times at night on my Matrix, and the New Beetle I drove was way worse.

And as rentals, I wonder how many accidents have happened due to people looking... straining to distinguish which button or control to press. And as cars become more complex inside, it just adds to the maze.

I wonder if red bothers some people more than others? Maybe just coincidence but i have chatted with more people who don't like red than do. I think that is why it is a sore point with me as more and more brands are going red and all I can think is what gives??

I think I could live with how Optima has done it..will know better in real life. As for the exterior, I much prefer the tidier handsome look of it over the Sonata.
    I don't know where you've been the past decade or so, but VWs haven't been anything special in the styling department for a long time.

Actually I thought the second-previous gen VWs were the best in appearance. The current passat looks too much like a Japanese car due to the circles in the taillights, and it wears it worse than the recent Jetta IMHO. VW moved from its best styling IMHO around 2004 or so to a sort of Asian appearance, and now to a bland appearance. That's what I mean by styling. And you add them getting bigger and decontented, and there you go.

You can wait to sit in it to decide, but the repair costs, dealer network, and recent reliability issues are NOT changing quickly, so I don't see how this strategy can work, at least not very quickly.
    Do you mean that Malibu, G6 and Aura had the same sheet metal and identical interiors? Are you serious or what? People simply hate GM because idiotic management, UAW and etc and were neutral to Hyudai until recently since it was newcomer. In fact Hyudai is no more different than GM - it has idiotic management too, militant unions are similar to UAW and it is largest company in Korea and government will never let it go down. Simply salaries in Korea are half of US so they can build stuff much cheaper. Germans and Americans cannot.
    edited January 2011
    What recent reliability issues are you referring to? On their sedans, like Passat and Jetta, or something else?

As for repair costs, there's no costs for even maintenance for the first 3 years. I owned 3- and 5-year old VWs and had not one problem with them. Dealers are varied... there's good ones and bad ones, in every brand that sells mid-sized family cars. '

And don't forget... it's not just de-contenting; it's de-contenting WITH a huge price reduction (about 25% for the base model). And the de-contented Passat is now comparable with base models from other makes, in equipment and price. Other makes, e.g. Toyota, have de-contented over the years without a decrease in price.
    I think you are replying to the wrong person?
    edited January 2011
    Do you mean that Malibu, G6 and Aura had the same sheet metal and identical interiors? Are you serious or what? People simply hate GM because idiotic management, UAW and etc and were neutral to Hyudai until recently since it was newcomer. In fact Hyudai is no more different than GM - it has idiotic management too, militant unions are similar to UAW and it is largest company in Korea and government will never let it go down. Simply salaries in Korea are half of US so they can build stuff much cheaper. Germans and Americans cannot.

The difference between GM and Hyundai is that due to greater market share, more people were screwed by GM than H; H had about 10 fewer years of crap than GM, and H's recent efforts are more aggressive and producing better results faster than GM's. H didn't brag about cars that "were coming" for four years (like the Volt) before they really existed in the marketplace. H also didn't have public blowhards like Wagoner and Lutz. Also, H didn't require a US government bailout. Those factors probably account for most of the difference in animosity between the two companies.

Also, you do realize that most Hyundai's are made in the US? So the labor rates in Korea are not the issue. That's just a smokescreen - the US makes cars competitively for the companies that are not strangled by the UAW.
    I can also add that GM for years were using outdated technology in US. But they both produced crap, may be GM for longer period of time even though was well established company with long experience of making cars all over the world. Hyudai was in process of learning how to make cars and finally produced some results. Time will show how good new Hyudai cars are. GM still has no clue. Otherwise how it managed to put underpowered engine in near luxury car and instantly become behind competition. We will see how new Malibu will be done. Sonata set new standards and GM cannot afford to tolerate cheap stuff in their cars (like cheap interiors, cheap engines and etc) anymore.

But wait until new Ford Mondeo arrives to US - it may reset standards to new level again. It will easily defeat Sonata, Optima and Passat, but may not be as cheap though.
    And how do we know this...? Why do folks use the word "always" to just their opinions? There are only "2 always" that I can think of on the fly...the sun coming up & then the moon within 24 hours. So I'll ask the question again..."and how do we know this"?

And it's HYUNDAI, not Hyudai. Not sure if you know this, since you keep spelling it wrong! Just an f y i.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I wasn't gonna post to report it but it was driving me nuts, though!

And it's HYUNDAI, not Hyudai. Not sure if you know this, since you keep spelling it wrong! Just an f y i.

It's Hyundai, not Hyudai. Pronounced Hun-Day. Oh, I'm just sure we're all in agreement on pronunciation, too. :sick:

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

See, now I will argue (based upon sitting in the new Cruze at the auto show, but not driving it) that GM has made GOOD decisions on this car. I don't know how it drives, but based just upon the looks and the interior I saw (I'm sure the top of the line), this is easily the BEST small car GM has ever made. It looks nice, it's really nice inside. I don't really care if it is a bit underpowered and expensive, it is still a really good change for GM. Instead of high power with cheap bits, they have made a car that is lower power with more expensive bits, and it shows. Assuming reliability is decent, good job GM. :surprise:
    well, that's a compact class still. How does the mid size malibu stack up in the mid size class?

well, that's a compact class still. How does the mid size malibu stack up in the mid size class?

Malibu is almost competitive, but not quite there. When will a redesign be out?
    As far as the GM and Hyundai/Kia analogy, I have no personal vendetta against any car maker. Whoever makes a compelling car they have my interest. In fact the new Buick Regal made my "must see" list. Fact is though, as i was growing up GM was making some terrible cars. I owned a Pontiac Grand Am and.. it was what I'd call satisfactory. I much preferred the Toyota Celica, Honda Accord and VW Jetta I've owned.

Right now Hyundai/Kia is putting out some really solid products. I also like a lot of Fords stuff. The others are hit or miss. If you would've asked me 5 years ago I might be saying something else.
  • trainer1366trainer1366 Member Posts: 24
    I agree, Dash! The 2011 Optima I have is a MAJOR HEAD TURNER all day long! Kudos to cars.com for the a great article.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The 2011 Optima I have is a MAJOR HEAD TURNER all day long!

It makes my head turn the other way. I think the design is way to over done. So, in a sense I agree, but, in the opposite way it was intended. Afterall, styling is subjective.
    Styling is subjective, but if one guy is praising the Mona Lisa and the other is telling you it stinks or they feel like their velvet painting of Elvis is better... well...

I'm not saying the Optima is universally praised for it's looks or that it's a Mona Lisa, but I'm pretty sure it's running at least 90% positive in the reviews I've read. Especially in this category, I cant think of another competitor that has had more praise for its exterior other than the Sonata, which is much more polarizing.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I don't know about the looks of the Optima,because beauty is in the eye of the beholder,but I loved the way it drove and the interior.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    If you see the Optima as way too overdone, what do you say about the Sonata?
    Click me!

I didn't even know the Galant was still being built... :)

Truthfully, it couldn't happen fast enough. Mitsu really needs to get on the ball if they still want to sell passenger cars here in the states.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Truthfully, it couldn't happen fast enough. Mitsu really needs to get on the ball if they still want to sell passenger cars here in the states.

So is the Eclipse and Endeavor. A part of me is a bit sad. My brother owned a '98 Galant and it was a pretty good car and I had a '98 Eclipse GS-T. I really enjoyed owning the GS-T. Great drivetrain, lousy interior, but, man did that car turn heads back in the day!!
    I had a '92 Galant, purchased used, and it was a good car for the day. I recall back in the late '80s and early '90s, the Galant was considered one of the top cars in the class. Shows how hard it is to keep up and how much investment it takes these days.
    Funny, compared to the Accord, Camry, Fusion & Altima, the Sonata & Optima are a breathe of fresh air in the mid sized segment. Time for the above mentioned players to freshen up their entries in this most competitive segment.

Sure beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but hey, it's definitely time for the other guys to play catch up already!!!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

• scottphillipscottphillip Member Posts: 249
    I've never been to a Kia dealership, but I had to stop and drive the EX. I too was impressed with its price and features. However, I don't know that my inner-snob would approve of owning a Kia.

I also drove a Buick Regal Turbo the same day. I think that the Regal handles beautifully. The navigation and its controls already look dated in comparison to the Kia.