Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I think they use an unusual hybrid system of electric and hydraulic.

I think that is the Altima.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    Yes it is the Alitma.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    "However, the laurels can’t go to both, and it’s the Accord that narrowly feels like the better total package. It’s a hair better in the value department, a tad more spacious; it’s broadly appealing and, best of all, marks something of a return-to-form for Honda driving pleasure.

What’s more, there’s the sense that this car’s going to be a great hand-me-down for the kids one day; the automotive equivalent of a faithful Labrador retriever. Like the somewhat-staid styling, the engineering under the skin is conservative enough to stand the test of time...."
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Hey Ben, congratulations on the new Accord EX-L. Please post details! How does it drive? How much did it cost? Does it have the dual screens?
  • stage4survivorstage4survivor Member Posts: 56
    With the TL lease coming to an end I began my search a couple months in advance with a budget of $30K and a mindset for used, prejudiced toward a '10 or '11 RL while maintaining an open mind on buying the TL, also looking at 5-6K over mileage. It's a great car but, not happy with the back seat or MPG. I also wanted to continue with a good AWD system.
    I explored late model E350s, GS350s but, these usually ran $35+K.
    As we all know, when searching on the 'net & making dealer inquiries, you're bombarded by new car ads and dealer/manufacturer "sales".
    Then my search led me to Altima/Maxima, CC, S60, Camry/Avalon & TL/TSX.
    In the final 10 days I reverted to the later RLs, drove a few more '10s & '11s then, out of the blue, I looked at the newest iteration of the Accord.
    I was immediately reminded of many of the attributes, particularly their feature set, of their Acura line.
    I drove a V6, was impressed and the only disappointment was the lack of AWD. I had to research & soul-search to see if this was a "deal killer".
    I quickly began researching pricing on the Touring model, visited a couple dealers and requesting quotes with an eye on "trading" the TL to avoid over mileage fees.
    Ultimately, after a week of hard searching, I found a great price and acceptable terms to relinquish the TL.
    No more leasing!
    The Accord Touring is an impressive car, even without AWD!
    edited March 2013
    Hi cski:

Thanks for the congrats!

Love the car so far. It's a 2013 EXL navi sedan in dark red. List price was $30,785 with destination, and we got it for $28,000 flat. That's a lot of money for a midsize car, but it's totally loaded—premium leather memory seats, hard drive navi and music storage, back up and side cameras, pushbutton start/smart entry (love that!), more powerful and economical engine, etc., etc. A few people have gotten a little bit lower than that on this model, but we wanted that rare color and navi combo which required a special order. Our dealer was finally able to find it with a dealer trade 200 miles away right off the truck. It was manufactured in Ohio just last month.

First impressions: Wow. Our 2008 Accord EXL navi (which we are keeping—the car we traded in was a 2010 Mazda5) is a nice and impressive car, but this one is a significant jump up in most areas.

The engine and transmission combo work very well together. So far (and this is our first tank) the 2013 seems to be getting 5-7 mpg more than our 08—and yet the new car has virtually the same amount of room inside while being a little smaller outside.

One of Honda's weak spots in the Accord for decades has been road noise, but the 2013 seems very quiet to me.

The trunk of the 2013 looks smaller outside, but open it up and voila—it's bigger than the 08 Accord by 1 cubic foot.

I really like the CVT so far. Someone recently posted that they were worried about reliability on it. I'm not, really, although I admit I could be wrong. I read an article about a year ago (can't find the link now) that talked about how much R & D and manufacturing muscle Honda put into this new transmission. Specifically, the high tech composite material "belt" of the Honda CVT is supposed to be extremely durable. The sound and shifting firmware have also been worked on to give a pleasant and natural feel to the transmission. I had an Altima CVT as a rental car once, and it wasn't that pleasant. The 2013 Accord CVT is a more sophisticated and pleasant system—and as I said the mpgs seem impressive so far, which is in large part bc of the cvt.

Since we are keeping the 08 Accord, which has a manual transmission, I still get to shift myself, which is what I prefer. The new car is more for my better half, but I'll get to drive it too.

Anyway, very happy with the car so far. But as I keep saying, there are lots of good choices and good cars when it comes to midsize today—Fusion, Optima, Mazda6, etc. are all very good cars.
    edited March 2013
    stage4 wrote: "The Accord Touring is an impressive car...."

At the Accord web page

www.driveaccord.net

there are few stories of people going from BMW and MB to Accord Touring to save tens of thousands of dollars.

Hope you'll give us more of a report on your Touring when you get the chance. How is the adaptive cruise control? That's the one feature of the Touring that I wouldn't mind having....
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    >The sound and shifting firmware have also been worked on

Would you explain what you mean by this?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Yeah. I agree. Stage4survivor is obviously a Honda guy, and is posting in mid size sedans so I would think EX-L V6, six speed auto, and all options would be reassuringly familiar and rewarding to drive. Alternative? Passat 3.6 is my second choice. Big, well built, fast.
    edited March 2013
    ">The sound and shifting firmware have also been worked on

Would you explain what you mean by this?"

You'd probably have to drive the Altima CVT and Accord CVT back to back to hear and feel this, but the Altima has kind of a droning whine to it. It feels and sounds somewhat unpleasant. It's not terrible. I think the Altima is a good enough car, actually, but....rather rental, if that makes sense.

Honda has been refining the sounds of their engines and transmissions for a long time. Partly it's just the sound of quality imho. When I drive my Accords I often think, if I think about it at all, "that's just what a car sounds like." But when I'm on a trip and get a rental car, it's often a bucket of cold water and unpleasant sounds.

In 2010 I had a rental Fusion. Yikes. the sound of that engine when pushed was unpleasant and unrefined.

Honda engines purr and sound happy at work. Even when pushed hard they growl in a more refined and happy tiger-like way, rather than sounding like a tortured mechanical animal that's being hurt.

I think the new Ford Ecoboost engines probably sound very good too. I just don't know bc I haven't driven one yet.

Here's an article from The Car Connection that explains some of what Honda has done:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1079054_2013-honda-accord-attention-to-g-fo- - - - - - - - - rces-yields-a-better-cvt

"....While that itself impressed us, what's the most noteworthy in the Accord's CVT is how quickly it can respond and bring revs up when needed. For instance, a number of CVTs (including the one in the 2013 Nissan Altima, surprisingly) will feel completely flat-footed and off their game if you roll around a corner at 15 mph with your foot off the gas and then accelerate at full throttle. The time to tap into full thrust is delayed for a surprising time. But in the Accord, it very quickly raises revs all the way up to the Accord's 6,600-rpm redline. Pull off the same test, dipping into half throttle out of the corner, and it very quickly finds the right ratio for the throttle opening—feeling a lot like downshifting and with no slow, muddled ramp-up.

How did Honda achieve this far better (we think) CVT calibration when rivals like Nissan have been working at it for so long? According to the project leader, Honda's CVT isn't much different in the mechanical design, but Honda put a lot of time into oil pressure control and electrical systems, along with the control software....."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    Sweet man. My car is dark red too. $28k loaded is about as expected with all the tech your new ride has. I wish I had camera's on mine.... It is really hard to get used to the Optima's external dimensions in the rear. I use my driver's side mirror to verify I am leaving enough space while backing in to my spot.

So, if you are looking for a new sporty mid size... definitely check into the cars safety /camera system before deciding. New Accords have them standard!
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Member Posts: 74
    Not to stir the pot but here are some current owner issues with the 2013 from this site:

kkuhns, "Honda Accord 2013+ Maintenance and Repair" #1, 14 Nov 2012 6:50 pm
  • That's why none of us are "Altima guys" Ben. We fight tooth & nail for our cars here, but none for the Altima. I think that says it all about Nissan offering.
  • yoshupyoshup Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2005 i with auto - the trans does shift hard from 1st to 2nd in cold weather. Aside from that and a poor drivers seat (uncomfortable) the car is fine. I wish they kept the hatchback,I guess I'll keep the one I have now.
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    edited March 2013
    Fresh off the Twin Cities Auto Show, I took a [much deserved] half day off today to drive my three finalists back to back: the Fusion SE, the Mazda 6 and the Honda Accord. Unfortunately, the dealer I visited for the Mazda didn't have a manual in stock (again, there isn't one in dealer inventory in the entire state of Minnesota right now...), so I was forced to drive an auto, but I still felt it was worthwhile for comparison purposes.

My takeaways:

All three seem like excellent choices. I don't think anyone is going to get that Chrysler 200 buyer's "God, what was I thinking?" feeling a week after driving one of these home.

That said, none of them is perfect either.

The Accord Sport 6spd manual
    There is a reason for Honda's reputation in the world of manual transmissions. This is one easy to drive car. The take-up on the clutch was silky smooth and the linkage had direct, short throws. Unfortunately, this Accord is a bit nautical in the steering and suspension dept. - rather surprising considering it's Honda's Sport model, rolling on 18" donuts.

The car is definitely an improvement over older Accords in terms of quietness though - all the better environment in which to enjoy the low fidelity 4 speaker sound system... Really, Honda? On your "Sport" model? I could understand the garbage stereo on the "liver spot special" LX trim, but on the line that's intended for the slightly less aged buyer it makes no sense.

The other thing the really surprised me about the Accord was the quality of some of the interior finish. The plastic storage door under the AC controls, for instance, felt like something that could've fallen out of a '05 Cobalt. The upper portion of the front seatbacks felt rinky dink too (they look substantial but grab onto them with your hand and they feel as though they're made with some type of cheap, uncompressed foam). That said, I expect the things that matter for reliability/longevity (mechanicals, suspension, electrical system, etc.) have probably been well-engineered. The Accord, in my mind, seems like the smart, sensible choice.

The Mazda 6 Touring Automatron
    Oh my, is this a sweet ride. I think Mazda should steal the Maxima's old 4DSC moniker for this one. Even with the slushbox, I felt I was driving something special behind the wheel of the 6. It's obvious Mazda stayed up late designing this car. All the controls fall perfectly into place. A quick study of the center stack and I didn't have to look at it for the remainder of the test drive - the radio tuner, fan speed dial, etc. are right where they should be (and operate exactly the way you'd expect). And despite some journalist opinions I've read about this car, I felt the interior materials quality was clearly a cut above the Accord and Fusion. Perhaps that made Mazda's notable omission of a coolant temp gauge all the more glaring.

Not too many times does a person run across a car nowadays that combines seriousness with style, but Mazda pulled it off here. Color me disappointed that its North American product planners decided that buyers opting manual transmissions will be banished from the option spec sheet. Okay, I understand that the Touring trim will become available with the manual this summer (which is great for those with an affinity for vinyl seating or that require a cross traffic alert system due to early onset myopic peripheral degeneration), but again why is the sunroof only available on the Grand Touring? Sunroofs aren't aspirational features anymore; that's why you can get one on a Cruze LT or Focus SE (the plebeian trim levels on plebeian models). And the same thing goes for satellite radio...

Ford Fusion SE Automatron/SE 6spd Manual
    I got lucky tonight. After coming in from a notably unspectacular test drive in an SE 1.6 Ecoboost w/auto (the only thing that feels boosted about Ford's small turbo mated to a slushbox in this car is the engine volume - I can't believe how LOUD these things are), an SE w/a manual fell from the sky - literally, these things are harder to find than 5 leaf clovers (it apparently didn't even show in the dealer's online inventory). Thanks only to an extremely hard working sales consultant (who managed to consult with enough people at the dealership that he was able to locate this mystery ride) did I find out how nice this car can really be.

I now see why Ford was quick to serve up the 6 speed manual Fusion to the automotive press corp. for their first drive reviews. Comparing the auto and manual versions of the 1.6 turbo is like comparing a winter's night in South Dakota to the 4th of July in Las Vegas. In all candor, unless a person is a left leg amputee who's not creditworthy enough to swing the financing on a 2.0, there is absolutely no reason to get the Fusion with the 1.6/auto combo.

The manual Fusion, much like the Honda, is super easy to drive. And did I mention fun? The steering in this car is so quick and communicative, I forgot it was a midsize family car half way through the test drive. Throw in the best front seats of the group (it's about time Ford came up with a headrest design that doesn't seem intended to pummel your cranium into submission - I guess they did pick up a few pointers from Volvo before selling them off to the Chinese), Ford's always awesome keyless entry "touchpad" (why hasn't anyone else copied this?) and standard SiriusXM and this car started floating around the sexy 6 at the top of my shopping list.

It's too bad the first unit I drove (the all bark/no bite slushbox) had an incredibly annoying, buzzy rattle going on in the headliner all the time - 3 inches away from my noggin (with 7 miles on the odometer, no less). And with or without SiriusXM, all 6 speakers of the stereo sounded dreadful. Note to Ford: get going on a good, old fashioned Moon and Tunes package (with a higher quality set of speakers and an extra pair for the rear deck) for the SE - it needs it, badly. Also, think about making Ice Storm an optional color for the non-hybrid models while you're at it. I very much doubt I'm the only one who'd be more than happy to pay a little extra for it.

One final item about the Fusion [deserving of special attention] - that center stack is an unmitigated disaster. Fifty lashes twice to whomever or whatever came up with the design(s): it goes from bad (in the button happy base models) to worst (with MFT). Seriously Ford, do you think it's safe to force a driver to stare at the center stack just so he can determine where to place his finger to adjust something as simple as the fan speed when a vehicle is travelling 88 feet per second? I guess a person could memorize the voice commands if he wished, but not all of us desire such a Hasselhoffian driving experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    .....especially if you wake up in your driveway in a 200, with a signed contract in your lap, and a rag nearby that clearly smells of chloroform. LMAO.

Also, I have a thing about cars with the muffler installed sideways. It looks cheap. I cant stand the way they look.... both the 200 and the Camry have them mounted like that, and so does a bunch of economy cars. It is like designers run out of space and just tack them on.

When I look at the back of a sedan, I like to see the symmetry in the IRS(Independent Rear Suspension) module, and the (dual preferably) exhaust system cleverly routed with dual chrome tips. Things that only "car guys" notice. You know!! :shades:
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Ford's always awesome keyless entry "touchpad" (why hasn't anyone else copied this?)

I agree. We currently have two Fords and the keypad is awesome for a variety of reasons.

When we go out on our boat, I leave the keys locked in my Expedition. A buddy of mine with a Silverado was parked next to me last summer and he said he could do the same thing. He locked his keys in his truck and planned on using his iphone and onstar to unlock.

Well when it was time to leave he didn't realize that the cell service was bad where we were and we waited 20 nearly minutes before his phone app unlocked his doors (we couldn't get a call out to onstar). I was in my expedition in two seconds.

I think Nissan was one of the first to use keypad access back in the 80's IIRC. I think Ford is the only one that still offers it. The keypad alone won't keep me as a Ford customer, but when/if I buy another brand (likely), I'll definitely miss the keypad.
    Also, I have a thing about cars with the muffler installed sideways. It looks cheap. I cant stand the way they look....

Funny, I though I was only one who dislikes that as well. I noticed on a Volvo S60 the other day that the muffler is placed sideways just behind the rear bumper.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

Well when it was time to leave he didn't realize that the cell service was bad where we were and we waited 20 nearly minutes before his phone app unlocked his doors (we couldn't get a call out to onstar). I was in my expedition in two seconds.

I always thought that would make a great Ford commercial - GM owner trying to contact OnStar while Ford owner punches in keycode and drives away.
    In a test they call "Midsize Madness" they evaluate the Fusion, Accord, Sonata, Optima, Mazda6, Altima, Passat, and Camry.

They had high words of praise for the Fusion and Mazda6, but in a close contest chose the Accord by a slight margin. It was very close, and they emphasize that all of these cars are good and have their virtues.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1303_midsize_madness_day_one/

"As much as anything, our choice has been determined by the way that the Honda Accord drives. You wouldn't necessarily describe the Accord as a driver's car, yet it is remarkably easy and natural to drive in a way that anyone will notice.

It begins with the rigorously ergonomic approach that Honda takes to formatting the driving position of its cars. You notice the great visibility from the driver's seat, the thoughtful layout of the light-effort controls, and then the predictable responses of the steering, throttle, and brakes. The Accord is maneuverable in the big parking structure downtown, comfortable on the long freeway ride to work, and energetic enough to make every drive effortless. This is a car that helps almost everybody drive very well, and the result is not just a feeling of safety but also an experience of driving enjoyment....

From its introduction clear back in 1976, the Accord has combined European styling, American comfort, and Japanese reliability. It might be said that the best thing about the 2013 Accord is the way it embraces this formula with renewed enthusiasm...And the overall level of quality is high, even though the labor - not to mention 65 percent of the parts and pieces - come from North America, not Japan.

We enjoyed being in this car, and while its interior dimensions aren't much different from those of its competition, it feels especially open and spacious. The soft-touch detailing has added a worthwhile dimension of luxury, and even the cloth seat upholstery seems particularly nice. And just as important, we found it easy to climb in and out, while the ride was quieter than we remember from past Accords as well as more supple and composed on the road...This has become a very nice car, an automobile that projects a premium image and seems like something to which we should aspire. And, ironically enough, there are not so many cars that deliver these things at this price point...."
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    I always thought that would make a great Ford commercial - GM owner trying to contact OnStar while Ford owner punches in keycode and drives away.

Split screen - both people get to their car and realize they're locked the keys inside. One starts to call GM (timer starts running). The other gets into their Ford.

Second part of the ad - the first person is just getting their car unlocked via OnStar while the other person returns with the kids from school.
    It is kind of surprising Ford doesn't market the "keypad" access.

Like I mentioned earlier, Onstar certainly has nice features, but if you lock your phone and keys in your car (which I've done), it won't do you much good until you find another phone.

What I like about the keypad is it's a fairly low tech simple way to gain access to your vehicle. No phone, no keys, no problem;) Just enter your code and you're in.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,381
    this is a good point. as much as everyone here likes to argue for their favorites, this class is extremely competitive, and there are a ton of fine choices. You can pretty much buy any of the 6-to players and get a fine automobile.

so, like in this test, try them all and buy whatever floats your boat the highest.

one thing that bothers me is they seem to always leave the Legacy out of the tests. I drove one last year when we were looking at outbacks (to try out the new powertrain), and it is a really, really nice car. if I was looking in this class, it would certainly be on my short list.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I haven't driven the Accord much since it's for my "main squeeze". She likes and appreciates a spirited car(hence the V6) so, I haven't tested the ACC.
    We both prefer the "European" road handling although I have some misgivings about the OEM Michelin tires.
    It's a very solid, quiet, spunky handler.
    Honda/Acura simply makes a product that appeals to my driving taste with most of what I want in a car, at a reasonable price.
    MB is the only brand that competes BUT, at a 20% markup.
    This is my personal view and I'm simply an enthusiast.
    Keep in mind, I still love my 8 yo V70 5cylinder 6MT, bought my first "brick" in 1972!
  • My 94 SHO had the keypad.... it's comforting for leaving the key in it for a spouse/family member to pic up later too.

There is no ignition key hole for my keys to be left in though in the first place. I just walk up to my car and it automatically unlocks as long as the key-fob is in my pocket. Then I hop in and hit start. The Optima is the lowest priced car with keyless entry w/ start button. Since the fob never leaves my pocket, then I never leave it in the car. (I am just sayin') :blush:

It also has a trunk pressure pad so I can open the trunk w/o a key or digging for the fob. It just opens and I dump whatever in it and go.
  • Oh yeah...those early Volvo turbos...like the 1984 240 sedan with the rims is like an O.G. sport sedan. They were cool looking bricks!!. Then in the mid 90's the 850 R wagon was awesome. Then the V-70 of which you are acquainted.

Right on man! On your Honda allegiance, the 6 speed auto V6 Accord sedan is a rocket. I like the quality and cool looking dash with the dual screens. If it was my money, today; that is what would be in my garage.
    The Optima is the lowest priced car with keyless entry w/ start button

No, it is not. The Mazda3 i Touring has it and costs thousands less than the Optima. The Optima doesn't get it until you hit the EX model. The Nissan Altima has it standard in the base Altima which costs thousands less than the Optima EX. There are probably others.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    New Mazda6 has it as well for just over 20k in the sport model. 25.5k for the Accord so a little more than the Kia.
  • Wrong. 2013 Kia Optima LX has keyless entry on all doors. Mazda3 sedan, all variants, are not mid size sedans. 2013 Optima LX $19,990.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,204
    The reviewers seem pretty comfortable with the Accord, maybe too comfortable?
    The positives were played up (engine/trans smoothness, quality of interior materials), but the negatives were glossed over (noise, dashboard mess).
    Those are things you live with every day.
    A lot of people don't like MyFord Touch, but one good feature is a similar interface between different models.
    Think of Accord, CR-V and Pilot all having the same climate/nav/radio controls.
    Once you learn them, it's easy to transition from one to another.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    We just bought a Honda Accord EX-L. That article was very interesting to me because it mirrored our impressions exactly. Although we liked many features of the Nissan Altima, we ultimately liked driving the Accord the best of all. And for once the Accord is actually a quiet car! I love the purr of the engine. I also really like the dashboard and am appreciating it more the more I drive it.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited March 2013
    I guess that all depends on what your previous experience was.
    The Accord is quieter than it used to be, but I have yet to read a review that says it is quiet.
    Boy, I would think that if you are going to call somebody wrong you would at least do some elementary research. Check the Kia website under 2013 Optima "Features and Options". The smartkey and push button start is not even available on the LX. It's standard on the EX on up. The base Altima is much cheaper than the Optima EX.

And you did not say midsize sedans, you said it was the "lowest price"car" that had BOTH keyless entry and keyless ignition. I know this is the midsize sedan thread but we often mention other cars in here.
    Actually quite a few reviews have mentioned it. I have never been a fan of Honda partly because of the noise. This one is different. My previous car was a Nissan Maxima which we loved dearly.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I'm willing to learn. Post links to some of those reviews.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121217/CARREVIEWS/121219899

For just one example. See the edmunds review too.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Source: AOL Auto's.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Honda engines purr and sound happy at work. Even when pushed hard they growl in a more refined and happy tiger-like way, rather than sounding like a tortured mechanical animal that's being hurt.

A spot-on description that I have experienced in Honda/Acuras over many years of ownership. Another very sweet sounding engine I had in the past was a V6 in a 97 Nissan Maxima SE.
    Again, if you're going to say someone is wrong you might want to check better sources.....like the manufacturer.
    Some of the Autoweek reviewers mentioned quiet, but I didn't see anything in the Edmunds written review or video (more like an infomercial).
    I guess that can be construed as confirmation of quiet, since noise was not mentioned. ;)
    As an owner of a 2013 Accord EXL sedan, I can definitely say it's a quiet car now. It's significantly quieter than my 2008 EXL Accord. I don't think it beats the best of the competition when it comes to quiet, it just equals them, whereas before road noise one of the Accord's weak spots.
    You are comparing to a 2008 Accord, so of course it's quieter. Comparing to anything else?
    The 2013 Touring compares very favorably to the 2005 S80, 2007 E350 & 2010 TL especially considering the battle scarred roads between NJ and Long Island.
    I didn't push the throttle beyond low 60s on the way home though.
    In my view, this car is a freakin' bargain!
    I've been in a previous generation Camry, Fusion, and Altima, and it equals or exceeds those. But I've not yet been in the new generations of those cars.
  • Hi guys. It snowed in the DC region this morning, and VDOT did not treat the roads as there was only a 30% chance.....

This was the first time I have driven my car in the snow, and I was pleasantly surprised. The car stayed planted and I had no trouble climbing a few very steep hills in the area with 4" of packed, untreated snow. FYI. The highway was a slushy mess and I still felt very secure, even when changing lanes and crossing over the ridges between lanes.
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2013
    Driving through a series of some favorite corners today at double the suggested 35 mph speed the 6 was glued to the road. Even with all the winter sand scattered about.
    Over 300 miles and cannot find a fault, though still in the honeymoon phase :blush: . Can't wait to drive it hard after some more variable rpm break-in driving.
  • I'm still in the honeymoon phase after 15k! I look forward to my morning commute; just for the pure pleasure of a drive in to the city. The exit I take puts me in a downhill sweeper with a fast left bend that puts you around the Pentagon (the side that got hit by the plane on 9/11)...and I always see other guys enjoying it as much as I do. then it's 1 mile to the Memorial bridge. Fast, fun, and a great view! :D
    Picked my Fusion Feb 28th. Finally filled it up for the first time on Monday.
    The fuel gauge was not down to empty, but the DTE was at zero when I started it up.
    It only took 12.5 gallons, so now that I have reset everything, maybe I'll get some more accurate readings.
    This car has some power. When I first noticed the speedometer goes up to 160, I thought 'yeah right'. I'm sure the top speed is limited, but...
    It kind of reminds me of my first SHO, which was good for 140, but this car has 20% more power.
    The Fusion weighs a lot more, though.
  • The printed top speed for the Fusion, by Car and Driver, was 120 mph. The article listed both the 1.6 and the 2.0 EcoBoost engines.

The article is here: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-fusion-16-and-20-ecoboost-first-dr- ive-review

To be honest, it sounds a little low for the 2.0. model, but top speed has a LOT more to do with tire rating than it does with capability. My car's top speed is 131 mph. Chances are I will never see it, but it's good to know in case I am running from the feds.