Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    No one can tell you what is the best car for you.

BUT, do not get hung up on depeciation in the first couple years. If you plan on keeping a car for 5 years, the depreciated value after 5 years is what could cause you concern. The depreciation in the first year or two means nothing, it's how much depreciation is anticipated at the time you plan to sell. And depreciation averaged over 5 years or more is likely to be not much difference per year. If you replace your car every 2 or 3 years depreciation should be considered but so should leasing rather than buying.
  • Plus, most cars' depreciation depends on how close to list price you paid in the first place. Heavily discounted cars will tend to have greater depreciation.

However, it is usually a wash. If you pay more for it at the beginning, you better damn well expect more on re-sale in 2 or 3 or 5 years. If you were given a several thousand dollar discount at the beginning, then you will get less as well on re-sale.

I wonder why some people think tying up more of their money at the beginning--in order to get more money on re-sale--is such a draw. More or less, you end up with the same money, whether you take a huge discount at the beginning, or reap a lot of money at re-sale. So, buy what you want and don't worry about re-sale. In most cases, you are out about the same money.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    I JUST BOUGHT A CAR (which I’ll tell you about first) THEN I have to tell you about the most horrible, insulting and infuriating experience I’ve ever had at a car dealership- AND IT ALSO HAPPENED TODAY!!! Read on to hear the whole story...

GREAT NEWS- I am now the very happy owner of a beautiful Vortex Blue Acura TSX V6 with only 29k miles on it and like new inside and out! It is fully backed by Acura’s CPO Program including Powertrain Coverage to 100k miles. I love it!

I only paid $22,500 plus TTT, as we had previously agreed. But I still had to see if I could push a little for just a little bit more...and since we had agreed on the price of $22,500, I couldn’t try to negotiate the price any lower, it wouldn’t be very gentlemanly. Instead, I told them the deal was contingent upon them adding the Rear Decklid Spoiler (including installation) at no additional cost (the spoiler retails for just over $400 and installation usually runs at least $150, so I got an additional $550 value for free)! I also wanted to add the Dark Metal Trim to the steering wheel; center console and door switch trim. I agreed to buy those items at cost if they would install for free!
    The parts were $234, about $180 off retail and I saved $175 in labor.
    I paid $22,500 plus 6.5% TAVT (Georgia now charges a Title Ad Valorem Tax instead of Sales Tax) and $66 for Tag/Title processing, making it $24,028.50 OTD! I paid the $234 for the interior trim package separately....

I brought the car home with me tonight, but they had to order the Rear Spoiler and the Dark Metal Interior Trim. I’m taking back on Tuesday for those to be installed. They will provide an ILX as a loaner while they’re installing those items. I have never driven the ILX before, so it will be an interesting experience. I feel confident that there will be some similarities compared to the 2013 Civic, but that’s not intended as an insult...just a fact.

The salesman, sales manager and service manager all made me feel very welcome and and comfortable with my purchase decision! They will provide a loaner vehicle any time I bring my car in for service, which is uncommon these days. The service manager also spent at least 20 minutes discussing my CPO Warranty Coverage and making sure that I was comfortable checking all the vital fluids, etc. They are all very polite, friendly and exceedingly professional. It felt a lot like the time I took my former employer’s Lexus LS460 in for the 60k Service.....but with a little less @ss kissing, which is fine by me!

SO that is my HAPPY news, but prior to arriving at the Acura dealership, I had one of the most horrible experiences of my entire life and I am still madder than hell!!!

I decided to go for one more look and test drive in the Optima and the TSX before making a final choice today. I went to the Kia dealer first and the salesman I’ve been working with greeted me and we sat down and chatted for a few. I told him that I would be buying a car today, but I still wasn’t certain which one it would be. Without any further discussion, he grabbed got up and grabbed the keys and tossed them to me. He told me to take it out for as long as it took to help me make my decision.

I ran to the restroom and headed toward the Optima, when I was intercepted by a fat, sloppy looking man with disheveled hair, an untucked shirt (that was a few sizes too small as well) and he had one of those nasty tobacco pouches between his bottom lip and teeth (like a Skoal Bandit or something)! He introduced himself very forcefully as the New Car Sales Manager and I realized what was going on! He was “The Closer” and it would be all high-pressure from this point forward...

My salesman had told him I was leaning toward purchasing an Acura and he asked me exactly what I was looking at over at the Acura dealer. I told him it was a CPO 2010 TSX V6 and he didn’t even let me finish speaking before he started insulting the TSX. He said he couldn’t believe I was considering a ‘used’ car over the new Optima, but I told him it was also at least $6000 cheaper. Then he told me that Acura doesn’t ever honor their CPO warranties and he actually argued with me about whether the TSX V6 even existed!!! I pulled it up on my phone to shut him up! Then he said the Optima’s 2.0 Turbo would bury the 3.5L V6 in the TSX. But the TSX is about 0.5sec faster to 60mph, 3-4 seconds faster to 100mph, stops from 60mph 15 feet sooner than the Optima and gets better fuel economy by up to 4mpg on average.

I told him that I had spent many hours researching both cars and quite a bit of time driving both of them also. I also told him that insulting the Acura would NOT help me make a decision; it would only frustrate and piss me off, making a decision difficult if not impossible! He walked over to the car with me and got in the passenger seat to go with me. I told him that I really needed to be alone to focus on the car and he told me that their insurance prohibited anyone test driving alone! I told him that I had already driven it three times, and the last two times I was alone and kept if for several hours! I also told him that I had signed a ‘loaner’ form on those occasions, assuming liability for causing any damage or injury to anyone else. He said that wasn’t possible under Georgia Insurance Law....I reached into my wallet and pulled out my Property and Casualty Insurance License issued by the State of Georgia which allows me to legally work as an Insurance Agent! He got visibly pissed off, slammed the passenger door and walked away. I was ready to walk back to my CX-9 and make a bit of a scene tearing out of the parking lot (the front tires will roast and make serious smoke if you turn off the Traction Control first then floor the gas....or so I’ve heard.....

But I decided to drive it over the to Acura dealer, which was about 20 miles away. I parked the cars side by side and asked several of the guys who work there what they thought (some picked the Optima) and even got the input of an older couple who was shopping for a new Acura. I told my salesman what had just happened and he saw that I was still very angry from the experience because my face was red and I was still a bit shaky, not to mention my ‘foul language filter’ wasn’t working and every other word either broke a Commandment or rhymed with ‘truck’!

He suggested that we write down all the pros and cons, which is something I usually do in a situation like this. Ultimately, even if I liked the Optima just as much as the TSX or even a little better, the real problem was that I no longer felt comfortable at that dealership.....and I had a gut feeling that it would get much worse before it was all over....call me psychic!

I was gone for almost two hours and I parked the Optima next to my CX-9. I was very tempted to jump in and leave, but my salesman and the @sshole Sales Manager were already outside the door and walking t
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    First & foremost, congrats on your TSX! You'll enjoy years of fun driving & trouble free ownership. You got a really nice car for $22,500. Enjoy it.

Even if you had liked the KIA better, I wouldn't have bought the optima from that particular dealer. Write a letter to KIA and tell them all the gory details & that your treatment fom this particular gentleman is what ultimately pushed you to ake your decision to buy an Acura.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Congrats on the car!

Honda/Acura quality is tops.

Enjoy the heck out of it, and forget about the jerks as much as possible.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Member Posts: 74
    Huh, I achieved that mileage from a 2004 Taurus with a V6.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    I think the best thing you could have done is to run from the Kia dealership. It's been my experience that the best treatment you will ever get from a dealership is from the sales office - they have the most to gain. If that was how they treated you, you could simply imagine what to expect from the service department.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    Wow, someone bragging on an ex rental Taurus. :P
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • It took 3 visits for Fairfax Kia Service to get my center console latch fixed, and in the end, they still had to take one off a new (EX) car on the lot. 1 time they broke it more, second time they installed one w/o leather, and third time I went up there I meant business so.....It was just a plastic latch!!! Do I want them fixing lets say, a REAL problem? NO!

So, I totally understand wanting Honda/Acura sales and service! Congrats! TSX is a good car. C/D likes it too.
    edited April 2013
    It was actually a state vehicle and reliable as a hammer for 190,000+ miles.
    A 2004 Taurus is like a Model T compared to any modern sedan.
    At least you didn't buy one retail.
    Its a vehicle from the past. The point was it was getting the same mileage as the "modern sedan" MPG that I replied to.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    Huh, I achieved that mileage from a 2004 Taurus with a V6.

My wife had a couple of '03 Taurus company cars. She never averaged much more than 22mpg with her mostly rural/highway driving. Her current '11 Taurus with a lot more weight and an extra 100 hp has averaged 25mpg over the 45k miles she's put on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    The Taurus has been around since 1986. Back then, the 86' Taurus was a radical new design. Ford took a big risk, and it paid off big time. I just looked at the chronology of it's models, and saw that the 86 -91 model was offered with a 2.5 liter 4 with a whopping 90 hp! We have come a LONG WAY PEOPLE!!

I owned a 94 SHO, (3.2 24v Yamaha V6) and a 96 24v 3.0 Duratech. They were good cars back then, and the Yamaha SHO engine was just awesome.

I still see a lot of 00-07 models on the road. Before the current model, they were very much mid size sedans and Ford sold a huge amount of them.
    Then, In 2005, Taurus production tapered off, as the Fusion was poised to take it's place. Finally, in 2007 production ceased. The 08 to 09 models did not sell well as a 500 or under the Taurus label. Ok, moving on.....

There are a LOT of mid size sedans used as rental cars, including the Taurus, Camry, Accord, Optima, Fusion, etc.

I found the Hertz sales site that was loaded with 2012 Accord LX's starting at $16 and ending at about $18!! That is a pretty good deal on a 1 year old car!

Look, I am not saying the Taurus was a great car, but it looked good and was priced right for the times. I don't think we would be driving todays mid-size marvels w/o the Taurus-susses and Intrepid's of their day.
    That's enough outta me!!! :P
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I remember riding one when I was 12...it was great.
    Now THAT is funny, good one Ivan!
    edited April 2013
    Mine didn't have 10 speeds, but I did have 20" rims, alloy frame..... Lol
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Yeah but it's still an early 2000's Taurus. There's no glory in driving one of those 190,000 miles.
    edited April 2013
    Dude, I totally understand. I just had a really good time with my SHO. Do you know how modern engines have plastic covers so we can't see all the vacuum lines and other such ugly-ness?

Well, that Yamaha V6 was just gorgeous. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sho.jpg

It was a work of art, and a damn quick car. It revved to 7,000 RPM. Awesome for 1994. Also, the 225 HP was a conservative figure. More like 250. Also, it had a great JBL stereo, and handled pretty good. It was no Integra R....but I'm just sayin'!
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited April 2013
    I'm with you on the SHO Yammy v6. That was a gem and did look awesome too. IIRC, the engine was capable of far more than 7k rpm, but the belt driven accessories were not.
    While we are on this SHO topic, I had a Gen I(89), a Gen II(92) and my wife had a Gen III(96).
    I wanted a Gen IV, but it I don't need 350+ horsepower and the Fusion is a better choice for me.
  • Did your wife's GEN3 have major engine problems? I heard it was about cam failures and that even the "fix" didn't hold up well. Damn shame.... Cuz that engine is a looker too.
    It was a very reliable car. The only thing that really went on it in about 80k miles was the fuel pump and that was replaced under warranty. Until a few years ago, I still used to see it around. I didn't want her to trade it, but I guess she had enough of the dirty looks from other PTO members for driving a black snarly car with chrome rims. :D
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wants to talk with a Ford Fusion buyer who previously owned a Japanese sedan. If you fit the bill and are willing to share your story, please email PR@edmunds.com before Friday, April 19, 2013 and provide a few words about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kia just posted this about a week ago. The front and rear fascia's have been updated with new LED lighting options, body colored fog light surrounds, different rear diffuser, side vent styling, and on the SXL there is a different front clip with quad-LED fog lights.

Inside there is a new blind spot warning system that I personally would like to have, and a rear sensor so you don't run down your kids bike backing out of the driveway, especially when there is a kid still attached to said bike.
    Here's the pics:

http://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/optima/2014/photos
    They missed one current styling trend, integrated exhaust outlets.
    I remember everyone being up in arms when the IS-F reintroduced them.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    Saw a new Regal yesterday in a parking lot. Dual exhaust. Couldn't believe how rich it must have been running. Both pipes really black and sooty..even leaving the SS finish bezel trim all sputter-stained with blobs of soot. Wasn't impressed.
    But what caught my eye originally was the cars lines. Knew it was a Buick from the front but had to go to the back to see it was a Regal..that's when I saw the poor state of tune..
    Owner is likely clueless unless they must be questioning the FE.
    Not everything...so-called..new and improved is good.
    The Regal's front grill just screams geriatric. It almost makes the car look like it has under bite. :P
    edited April 2013
    I think the Regal Turbo is a nice looking ride. I found a couple pics that represent how a local owner's car looks. His is this color and also has tinted windows. Sweet, except for the fake wood trim inside. Come on GM, you should have gone with dark Zebrano!!!

http://www.cstatic-images.com/supersized/DMI/2447/R131513/02.jpg

I know Buick's are seen as for old people here, but in China they sell like hotcakes to a much more diverse clientele.
    "...Volkswagen announced Friday that it would eliminate 500 contract jobs and reducing work shifts at its new assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tenn., to ease an oversupply of the Passat sedan, which has not sold up to expectations...."
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Touch competition...especially as an entry level vehicle with the I5.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    nothing. I would buy a 2012 Mitsubishi Galant way before I would even start ta consider wasting money on a Passat.

Now, a 1964 VW Bug with a 4-speed standard tranny and a loud, rockin' stereo is totally another story. I also would buy a 1966 VW Fastback in baby blue, 4-speed standard tranny and non-torn black vinyl seats. Humm...iluvmysephia1, you're living in southern New Mexico, about 90 miles north of the US-Mexico border man, I would get your vintage VW in cloth interior or even...wait for it...leather interior. But a new VW Passat? Naahhhhhhhhhhh. ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I would buy a 2012 Mitsubishi Galant way before I would even start ta consider wasting money on a Passat.

iluv, you are too funny! :D Have you even driven the new Passat? Even with the I5, it's quite a nice ride, and tons of room (unlike the Galant). I think the big mistake VW made with the Passat, aside from not putting a better base engine into it e.g. the 200 hp 2.0L turbo, is the ho-hum styling. Way too much like an old Impala. Was OK when it debuted, but with lookers like the Fusion, Mazda6, Optima, Sonata, and even the Altima and Malibu, out there, it looks extremely old/dated in comparison. If someone is going to buy a boring mid-sized appliance, they'll look first at the Camry, not the Passat.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I would buy a 2012 Mitsubishi Galant way before I would even start ta consider wasting money on a Passat.

iluv, you are too funny! Have you even driven the new Passat?

*Insert grain of salt here*

iluv is a Mitsubishi owner and likes his vehicle.
    Filled up the Fusion for the 3rd time. Mpg has been 25, 26, 27.
    Taking a long trip next weekend, about 800 miles.
    Could take the Fusion or my Mom's Fiesta.
    The Fiesta is almost 2 years old and doesn't have 7k miles on it yet.
    I'll be driving to my sisters to pick up my Mom and bring her back from a visit.
  • The Passat is a good car. VW stuck with a design that has always worked for them, maximum space, quality assembly, and quiet operation. They won several comparo's in several different magazines, and it's driving dynamics surpass my Optima easily.

I just think they got out gunned style and value wise, and the competition also is offering longer warranties. It is well known that long term upkeep on VW/AG cars is expensive. $500 for a power window regulator is one example. A coolant system wiring harness on my TDI was $1200.
    edited April 2013
    Here's what C & D said:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-mazda-6-i-sport-test-review-the-gearbox- - -of-an-rx-8-page-2

"Hitched up to the six-speed manual, the 2.5 drives the 6 to 60 mph in 7.9 seconds. A four-cylinder Accord manual does it in 6.6 seconds in second gear, whereas the Mazda requires two upshifts. By the quarter-mile, the 6 is a second behind the Accord. In short, the Skyactiv isn’t very active, and it won’t win you many drag races, even against other family sedans."

So they drove the Accord to 60 mph in 2nd gear??!? Guess it gets the job done, but that sounds pretty unpleasant for the people and the engine. Still, I guess if you want fastest to 60 the Accord is the one.
    Yeah, there are a lot of people (me included) who have nightmare repairmemories about VWs of the last 30 years. The recent few years seem to be significantly better, but there's a lot past history to overcome.

Plus, with the old tech 5 cylinder base engine on the Passat it has, I think, the slowest acceleration and lowest mpg in the class. I assume they are going to fix that asap, or else their factory in TN is never going to get to full capacity.

The Optima and Accord, in contrast, both offer quite advanced DI engines that have more power and better economy. And you get those advanced engines even on the base car.

The idea of a "bad base engine" seems to be a poor idea that's not selling very well anymore. Somehow Ford gets away with it on the Fusion, but for just a little more you can get the 1.6 Ecoboost. With the Passat you can pay a lot to get a diesel or a huge V-6, but most people don't want that. They want a powerful and economical 4.
    edited April 2013
    from C & D:
    Mazda6 Sport manual
    C/D TEST RESULTS:
    Zero to 60 mph: 7.9 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 20.0 sec
    Zero to 110 mph: 24.8 sec
    Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 8.2 sec
    Top gear, 30–50 mph: 10.8 sec
    Top gear, 50–70 mph: 9.9 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 16.1 sec @ 90 mph
    Top speed (drag limited, manufacturer claim): 143 mph

for comparison, 2013 Honda Accord Sport manual:
    PERFORMANCE: NEW
    Zero to 60 mph: 6.6 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 17.7 sec
    Zero to 120 mph: 28.6 sec
    Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.9 sec
    Top gear, 30–50 mph: 11.1 sec
    Top gear, 50–70 mph: 11.2 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 15.2 sec @ 93 mph
    Top speed (governor limited): 126 mph

What's weird is that the Mazda has a slightly larger engine, weighs about 150 pounds less, and yet takes 2 more seconds to make it to 100.

?

Maybe it's the redline on the Mazda forcing them to shift sooner.
    Odd. C/D drove the Mazda6 with the AT to 0-60 in only 7.4 secs, while the Accord Sport CVT took 7.6 secs. Very strange how the same mag could only get from 0-60 in 7.9 secs with the manual on the Mazda6. :confuse: Maybe they need to find some test drivers who know how to shift a stick. ;)

So if you want the quickest car 0-60 the way most people buy a mid-sized sedan, looks like the Mazda6 is the one. :)
    You've got a point!

95+% of people buying Mazdas and Hondas will get the auto, and it looks like the 6 might be a shade faster than the Honda there.

And for top speed the new Mazda6 cannot be beat. 140.

Backy: we won't tell anyone, but how fast have you gone?
    Not close to 140. ;) I did do ~100 once, due to a medical emergency, driving a Mazda... an MPV! It actually acquitted itself quite well on that high-speed run to the hospital.
    You had a good excuse to go fast!

The Mazda 6 engine is another example of a very advanced engine on even the entry level car.

At the end of the article, C & D had some very nice things to say about the new Mazda6:

"Throughout the 6 are the fingerprints of people who don’t think of cars in the same way they think of other machines. While it’s not quick or even club-you-over-the-head sporty, the new 6 shares a lot of fundamental traits with sports cars. And these traits aren’t just there for the benefit of car lovers. They’re also useful to the typical family-sedan driver. A relatively low cowl and the repositioned A-pillars result in a vast view out front. The structure is both light and stiff to boost handling and fuel economy. The driver’s relationship to the steering wheel, pedals, radio, and HVAC are all spot on. Better yet, the steering, brakes, and floor-mounted accelerator have responses that wouldn’t feel out of place on Turn Three at Road America. If you think that’s overkill in a mainstream sedan, consider that the Mazda 6’s alert controls will be at your command when a truck tire bounds into your lane."
    edited April 2013
    Well, I have an obvious question for VW:

Why didn't they offer the 2.0T in the Passat? It seems like the best solution to eliminate the 5 cyl and the 3.6, leaving the diesel as the only other choice. I bet they could sell them for $26,990 all day long, and the TDI for $1000 more. I would have considered one myself.
    Lastly, the 5 speed manual offered in the Passat leaves me dumbfounded as well, since EVERYONE else (that offers manuals) has a 6 speed. So, Ben is right. Who wants an outdated 5 cyl engine hooked to an outdated 5 speed manual???
    edited April 2013
    The fastest I have ever driven is 125, in a Caddy STS w/ the Northstar 300 hp engine.

Next fastest was in my red, '87 Chevy Z24. 115 mph with the 5 speed. It was goverened due to tire rating. It had 225/60/R-14 BFG's. Can you believe it had 14's as the "performance"tires? Lol.
    (Quote) "Filled up the Fusion for the 3rd time. Mpg has been 25, 26, 27"

That's a shame, what motor do you have in your Fusion? What is the EPA rating? My Mazda 6 has been getting 32-34 with mixed driving and has only 800 miles on it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited April 2013

This is where my mind heads to. Gotta have the 4-speed standard transmission with one of these, mind you. Funny, when VW electrical gremlins are mentioned, most of the time the beloved Bug is left out of that conversation.

How about you guys? Do you hear the Bug being pummeled into the mud that much? I'm startin' ta want ta take one of these off of some poor bloke's hands and perhaps do a few loving touches to spruce up the interior. Then the '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS would have a dinky little stablemate. This one's a '67.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I have seen reports that VW will offer a 1.8T in the Passat as the base engine soon.

The TDI comes with a 6-speed manual. By all accounts that is the preferred powertrain for the Passat right now. Until Mazda delivers a diesel with the Mazda6 (planned for the near future), the Passat is the only game in town in the USA for a mid-sized family sedan with a turbodiesel.