Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited July 2013
    The difference is this: the Accord gets to 60 in about 7.7 seconds with the 2.4 and the CVT, while the Fusion 1.6 ecoboost gets to 60 in about 8.3 seconds. For many of us, half a second means something when you are getting on to the expressway and merging in a hurry. It's not huge, but it's significant. The Accord gets a combined EPA mpg rating of 30, while the Fusion gets a rating of 28. That's not a big deal either, but it's something.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2013-honda-accord-ex-page-5

In that steady state highway mpg test (not that anyone drives that way) done by Consumer Reports, the difference in mpg was even more significant. If you do a lot of highway driving that could make a real difference:

Accord CVT 65 mph=42 mpg
    Fusion 1.6 65 mph=36 mpg

The Ecoboost engines have great power and great durability--no doubt about it. Ford has done a wonderful job with them. But right now they seem to be slightly slower and slightly less economical than some of the Fusion's competitors, like the Altima, Accord, Mazda6, etc.

The Fusion is a very good car, and clearly a top choice in the mid size field. But perhaps a few people are now wondering whether turbo engines are necessarily in the future for every midsize car. Hard to say at this point, since I'm sure the next generation of Ecoboost engines will be even better, and even Honda is apparently considering a turbo for the next Accord, which isn't due out until 2017.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The difference is even more according to CR tests. they get the Accord at 7.7 to 60 and the Fusion 1.6 at 8.9. They do not do anything fancy at the start, they do real world - just give it gas, no neutral drop etc.

MPG diff is greater as well. They get the Accord at 30 mpg overall and the Fusion 1.6 at 25 mpg overall.

I would say much slower and much less economical - especially when the 1.6 liter ecoboost gets worse mpg than the V-6 Accord (26 mpg overall), and the fastest 2.0 Fusion is barely faster than the slowest I4 CVT Accord, and slower than a 6MT I4 Accord.

I hope Honda stays away from turbos - they only seem to impress the EPA.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    edited July 2013
    How many miles were on these cars?
    From my experience it takes about 10k for a Ford drive train to break in.
    Honda has also started using 0 weight oil.
    The best mileage car I ever had was a 2004 Focus 2.3 with a stick, averaged 30 mpg with it.
    I learned a lot about efficient driving for that car, but I'm no hyper miler.
    The only long trip I took with it in 4 years, 1800 miles, I averaged over 38 mpg.
    Highway rating was 33, same as my new Fusion.
    My new Fusion, 2.0 and 19 inch wheels, is getting over 28 mpg, rated at 26 mpg average, and hasn't hit 5k miles yet.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2013
    I like the idea of turbocharging. I am just afraid of repair costs down the road on them, even though the technology is proven and modern metallurgy means the whole works won't melt down in two years. If anyone has ever seen a turbo running full tilt on a fully plumbed engine (outside of the vehicle for demo purposes), they might be alarmed at all the red-hot metal plumbing 10 inches from their person.
    The long and short of why I didn't get one was peace of mind. I want this engine to last a long time, with few service worries. Lets face it, I still don't fully trust Hyundai-Kia, and I know that the corporate bottom line on many automotive components is "will it last the warranty period".
    The modern DI engine already has a very high pressure fuel injection system (and thus the chattering sounds from these engines when cold), and lastly my engine already has 200 HP and 186 lb ft, on a 3200 pound car. It moves from rest to 60 in 7.5 seconds, and that is all I need here 13 miles from the Pentagon. There aren't even many fun twisty roads in Fairfax County any more. They have all been turned into parkways and boulevards due to high volume. My average speed on my trip computer never gets over 26 mph. To tell you the very truth, I know know why there are droves of Prius Hybrids. They make a lot of sense in this dense stop and go world this car guy has begun to dread. That's enough out of me! :shades:
    edited July 2013
    cski: yeah, I think I feel the same way you do about not wanting the added complexity of a turbo. But probably our fears are overblown.

Have you seen Ford's durability tests for the Ecoboost in their trucks? They truly torture the engine under the most awful conditions for about 6 months with logging, desert racing with sand, etc., etc., giving it the equivalent of at least 150,000 miles iirc. And then they take it apart, examine things, and do a compression test, and it still appears that the engine has a lot of life left to it. Ford's engineers really made more durable a lot of the components in the engine to make sure Ecoboost wouldn't have reliability problems. Only time will tell, but right now it's looking pretty good as far as I know.

But if with all that high tech high pressure stuff you don't actually go faster with less gas than, say, a Mazda6, Nissan Altima, or Honda Accord, is there a point to it? The base Fusion has a thrashy old-tech engine that's rather unpleasant from my rental car experiences. You have to move up in trim (c. $2000) and then still get the optional Ecoboost engine iirc. At this point a Fusion costs significantly more than a comparable KIA, Honda, etc. once you factor in the upgraded engine.

Honda actually did something similar on the previous generation Accord. If you got an LX, you got a lower power, less sophisticated, and slightly noisier VTEC engine. Moving up the EX and above you got a VTEC that was closer to being an Acura engine. But starting with the 2013, you get a better and more advanced engine on the LX than you got even on the previous year's EX (And yet it doesn't seem to have clatter. Haven't figured out if they added sound insulation somewhere or if they solved the clatter issue with a tech fix of some kind.)

It's pretty clear that part of the credit for Honda stepping up their game with the 2013 Accord goes to KIA and Hyundai. They piled so much standard stuff (including that powerful engine you talked about) into even the base model, that it was more luxe and had more features than the base models of all of their competitors. For years Honda was stingy with the extra features, making you really buy a high end model to get some things, but I guess they got tired of KIA and Hyundai stealing their customers, and so now they've put lots of stuff on their base model too.

But back to engines. Since KIA has a 10 year/100,000 mi warranty on all of their engines, you really didn't have to worry about the reliability. I'm convinced it would have been reliable, but if not you would have been covered.

But as you say, with lots of traffic in the DC area do you really need that kind of power?

I know, cski, that you're not in the market for a car, and are lukewarm about the Accord's CVT and its styling. But, if you'll bear with me, an Accord would probably actually solve two of your pet peeves with your Optima: the rear visibility and the mpg. The Accord's slender rear pillars, as I've said a few times, give it the best visibility in the class. And now the CVT and DI VTEC engine gives it great mpg too. The trade in value of your Optima would be awesome, and you can get at least $2500 off list for pretty much any Accord. Ok, I'll shut up now. I promise! (after reading your post about the ghost cars I've been kinda haunted by that. Seriously. Don't think about a Prius for that reason, bc they are just as bad if not worse for rear blind spots.)
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Heh...I don't go 90 all the time :)

When it's 85 I go 90...when it's 70 I go 75..

Don't watch much TV...don't even have cable (coat hanger antenna..works pretty good ;) )
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-ford-fusion-16l-ecoboost-automatic-test- -review

"2013 Ford Fusion 1.6L EcoBoost Automatic

Movie-star looks, athletic chassis, pedestrian powertrain.

....Consistent with Ford’s transition to smaller engines (there is no longer a V-6 in the Fusion powertrain inventory), the 1.6 employs turbocharging to extract more power from less displacement while shooting for high marks on the government’s efficiency tests. Although this is to some extent a fool’s errand—the EPA dyno rollers bear little relationship to the operating realities of America’s streets and interstates—it’s the common response across the industry to the lofty efficiency requirements mandated by various global entities.

Teetering on the tightrope between acceptable performance and high mpg, the 1.6 turbo delivers 178 horsepower at 5700 rpm and 184 lb-ft of torque at a reasonably low 2500 rpm. Assigned to towing a substantial mid-size sedan, these aren’t prepossessing output numbers, but if the driver keeps the turbo spooled up—the antithesis of driving for high mpg (we averaged 22 mpg)—there’s enough snort to make the Fusion a reasonably effective ally for dissecting day-to-day traffic.

Effective, however, only applies once the car is moving. Getting the 1.6 Fusion automatic swiftly out of the starting blocks requires some skilled brake-torquing to get a chirp of wheelspin—the better to minimize engine bog—but even then the driver’s danger of acceleration blackout is nil: In this case, 0 to 60 mph in 8.2 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 16.2 seconds at 86 mph. In a recent comparison test versus the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, and Volkswagen Passat, a Fusion 1.6 automatic was slowest of the group...."
  • tundradweller1tundradweller1 Member Posts: 74
    Too funny Ivan, I too only have OTA TV. If not for movies I would not even own a big screen.
    Lest I sound like grandpa Tom I also ride Motorcycles, one flirting 150 H.P. which sees triple digits ....too often. I just don't comprehend commuting at a frenetic pace. Point A to point B.
    edited July 2013
    You make some great points Ben. I really like the new Accord, especially the Sport, which I swear I saw in blue with dual exhaust and the 18" rims. Similarly, I also like the Mazda 6. This represents the only two mid sizer's I would consider. I do like the Accords styling very much, just "meh" about the CVT. So, I would have to either go with the stick, or move up to the V6...which would get me even less MPG than my current ride.

I would even go back on my last post; and trade for a 2014 Optima SX (in Corsa Blue) if Kia made it worth my while. I am just still smitten with the Optima styling.
    Also, the Mazda looks so similar to the Kia that they could be brothers. Swapping for one with a 15 hp deficit doesn't make a lot of financial or psychological sense. The only reason to swap to Mazda is it's rear view camera, and it's refined sporty chassis. It's a drivers car...and I am a drivers car man...but not at the expense of losing $5000 in depreciation on the deal.

Do you know which car currently appeals to me the most? It's the new Lexus IS 350. What a GREAT looking, and brilliantly performing Sport sedan. It has all the attributes of a comfortable Lexus with BMW performance and modern styling....with the added promise of excellent Toyota reliability

In a recent review, it beat both the BMW 330i and the Caddy ATS 3.6.
    That Lexus is a c.$50,000 car, and so is in an entirely different class. This one may be different, but past Lexus cars have done poorly on crash tests--as poorly as the Camry, in spite of their lofty price tag.

The Mazda6 seems like a great car, but the visibility isn't as good at the Accord, plus it's a bit louder, has less rear seat space, and a smaller trunk. I thought you didn't like Mazdas? I think they are good cars, but having owned both I prefer Hondas. Of course, I haven't driven the new 6, which is earning raves and even beating the Accord in some comparisons, and so I can't really say about that one.

Haven you gone on a test drive with Honda's new CVT in the Accord? It's quite different from the CVT in the Nissan.
    edited July 2013
    I think you and I have felt from the get-go that the 1.6 turbo was going to be challenged by mass in this application. I do think many people will be happy with it, as not everyone will employ full throttle acceleration between stoplights on a regular basis. Nor does everyone live in congested areas with stop and go traffic as a matter of course.

There is a second ecoboost option that makes more sense in this car. The 2.0 turbo. With roughly 240 HP, this engine would be more able to keep up without gratuitous stabs at the throttle. I bet the MPG from both engines in this area would no more than 1 mpg +or - , and the 2.0 would be a more relaxed highway cruiser.

I know the 1.6 is a smooth, reliable engine, and is used on many Ford models. I am not knocking it for those reasons.

The 2.0 turbo has become the industry standard V6 replacement in modern mid and full size sedans, and I think I covered why in this post.
    edited July 2013
    I am aware of it's price tag....and I will not be running down to pick one up with three kids to put through college, but man it's a good looking sedan!

To answer to my not liking Mazda's, it isn't that I don't like them (I bought two of them), it's that the 04 Mazda 6 had it's A/C compressor replaced twice under warranty and once out of my pocket. Also, with less than 120 k I had to put a $3000 transmission in it. Recently I found out that the outgoing models have been made in Detroit, on a Ford Assembly line with many Ford components under it's skin. My Mazda 3 was very reliable, but she almost got me killed in wet weather. (There are documented cases of it's frightening lack of traction, even two deaths). It spun while doing 45 on I-95 with no throttle application. Totaled.

The new 6 is made in a brand new factory in Japan and with tight quality control. So with that said; I might give Mazda another shot if I was in the market for a new car. It's cool is that I can track its reliability and see if it lives up to it's full potential without any personal risk. Then I may consider it when my Optima is due for replacement.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The 1.6L EB is being replaced with a new 1.5L EB with several improvements. I think it's going to take Ford a few years to figure out the tuning and engineering on the EB engines to get max power and fuel economy at the same time.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    EB 1.6 isn't just a little behind - Mazda6 gets 28% better overall mpg (CR test 32 to 25) Ford has a long way to go. Of course Mazda, Honda and Nissan won't be standing still while Ford figures things out.

I like Ford - they have a good chassis. Hopefully the 1.5 is an improvement.
    You can't go by one test and one driver. Based on my experience with the 2.0L EB you have to coast a lot and you have to take your foot completely off the pedal to engage the fuel cutoff. Just keeping your foot on the pedal even when not accelerating uses more fuel. It takes more talent and/or effort to get the advertised mileage in the EB engines. I also think they are more sensitive to E10 than regular engines.

The other issue is that these EB engines seem to run very rich to prevent overheating - something that is fixed in the newer 1.5L EB and future revisions.
    VW vows to spruce up lineup after sales dip in U.S.

David Shepardson
    Detroit News Washington Bureau
    ....In 2007, VW made a declaration: It vowed to sell 1 million vehicles in the U.S. in 2018 — about 800,000 Volkswagens and 200,000 Audis. And it announced it would move its U.S. headquarters from Michigan’s Oakland County, the epicenter of the U.S. auto industry, to Herndon, Va., to be closer to its customer base on the East Coast.

In 2011, it opened an assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tenn., its first since closing a U.S. plant in Pennsylvania in 1986. It now assembles in North America more than 72 percent of the vehicles it sells in the United States, and has vowed to boost that tally to at least 75 percent. It currently has the capacity to build more than 150,000 vehicles in Chattanooga. VW also has opened a parts center in Tennessee — its fifth — and will likely open a sixth in the northwest.

Its U.S. dealer network has climbed from 577 in 2008 to 645 today.

And the carmaker has launched a series of new or refreshed products that led to three straight years of double digit U.S. growth. In 2012, sales jumped 35 percent with 438,133 sold, marking the company’s best year since 1973. The automaker had its all-time U.S peak in 1970, with nearly 570,000 vehicles sold.

But VW sales here fell by 0.9 percent in the first half of 2013, including a 3.2 percent drop in June. Its U.S. market share has slipped from 2.9 percent in the first half of 2012 to 2.6 percent in the first half of this year. U.S. auto sales as a whole are up 7.7 percent in the first half of the year....

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130713/AUTO0104/307130022#ixzz2Z9QeBdIG
    edited July 2013
    2014 Volkswagen Passat Rated at 24/35 City/Highway with New Turbo Four
    JULY 15, 2013 by ALAN ADKINS

According to German automaker Volkswagen, the new 2014 Passat will boast improved fuel economy with a new, smaller base engine onboard. Following in the line of other carmakers ditching base engine options with more than four cylinders, Volkswagen has dropped the old 2.5-liter inline five base option in favor of a 1.8-liter turbo four capable of 170 horsepower and 184 lb/ft. torque. That’s the same amount of horsepower as the old five-cylinder base powertrain, but seven extra lb/ft. compared to the previous engine....

In terms of fuel economy, the 2014 Volkswagen Passat will be capable of 24 mpg in the city and35 mpg on the highway with a five-speed manual transmission. Figures for the six-speed automatic option are 24 mpg city and 34 mpg highway. That represents an improvement over the 22/32 and 22/31 mpg figures on the 2.5-liter 2013 Passat for manual and automatic respectively. Other engine options include a 2.0-liter turbodiesel, which is capable of 31/43 city/highway mpg with a annual and 30/40 mpg with an automatic, and a 3.6-liter V6 with 280 horsepower and 20/28 mpg EPA estimates for city/highway driving.

Apart from the new base engine, the 2014 Volkswagen Passat comes with several other new additions, such as a leather-wrapped steering wheel, parking brake and shifter for the Wolfsburg Edition and two-tone seats, push-button start, a backup camera and 18-inch wheels for the SE trim. Wolfsburg trim and higher would get Volkswagen’s Car-Net infotainment system. A Passat Sport edition is reportedly in the works, and could be unveiled later on in the year.

http://www.usdailyvoice.com/2014-volkswagen-passat-rated-at-2435-cityhighway-wit- - h-new-turbo-four-10458/matthewfaris.html
  • I thought it interesting to see that Consumer Reports states that if you drive the Fusion Hybrid at 55, you get 49 mpg. 65 gets you 41 mpg. Yet in the same issue, they report that the Lincoln MKZ hybrid gets 11 mpg lower overall than the EPA combined figure. So clearly, it depends on how you drive and what you drive. Hybrids are far more sensitive to variations from the EPA test parameters. Diesels on the other hand generally do better than the EPA standards in the real world. I don't think Ford is cheating, but it is possible to tune your car to the test. That is different from Hyundai's blatant misreport of mileage a couple model years ago.

In the real world, there isn't any measurable mileage difference between the 1.6 EB and the 2.0 EB. The 2.0 can easily beat EPA estimates with careful driving. With careful driving, the 1.6 is really slow and still doesn't save much fuel over the 2.0.

Tests provide some way to measure disparate models and engines against one another. But a different driving style can provide a much bigger advantage with one set-up v. another. The 1.6 is a good first step, but there are better choices right now, if both high mpg and good acceleration are your aims.
    It's a myth that you can "tune for the EPA test". Anything that you do to the car to make it perform better on the EPA test will also yield better results in the real world WHEN DRIVEN EXACTLY the same way.

Since the new Ford hybrids can go 60 mph on electric only you see a big drop going from 55 to 65. Other hybrids are capped in the 40s so they don't see the same drop from 55 to 65 because they're off the battery at 55 too. And the EPA test starts with a full battery charge.

It's more accurate to say that Ford's EB engines must be driven very carefully to get real world results close to EPA results. I suppose Ford could sandbag the test but that has CAFE implications. The only fair way is for the EPA to adjust the testing like they did in 2008 to match the current technology. That way it's the same for everyone.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Mileage...

You need to find a vehicle that fits your driving "zone". Many years ago I had a Honda Civic. It was a 1.6 but I couldn't get over 25ish mpg. I had that thing over 5000 rpm all the time.

There is a minimum acceptable performance/feel/acceleration for me. So for me, I'd do better in a diesel for day-to-day driving because of the beautiful torque (I don't own one). If I'm running on a track, say an autocross course, I'd choose something other than a diesel...say an S2000...

The 'potential' problem with the EB (theoretically...since I don't own one) is I may that I may get 'stuck' on the boost the whole time :)

BTW, the only EB I've driven was the 2.0 in the Explorer which was very nice and more responsive than the V6. I've driven in an F150 EB (as a passenger) and that thing flew...amazing power everywhere and at any speed...
  • puppybone69puppybone69 Member Posts: 24
    I think the driving environment must have more to do with the mpg you get with the Fusion 2.0 than any other factor. I've gotten as much as 50mpg and as little as 20mpg in mine, and I usually get 30mpg combined with it, which is still 4mpg over its rating. I definitely don't have to drive it very carefully to do this, nor do I have to spend alot of time coasting with my foot off the gas. I don't floorboard it everywhere I go, but I do floorboard it from time to time, and I rarely coast at all, it's either gas or brake, so why do we seem to be talking about two completely different cars? It has to be where you drive it more than how you drive it. All of my driving so far has been in TX, mostly in DFW, Houston, San Antonio, and all points between them, but also in Galveston and Corpus Christi, so the only terrain I haven't driven my car in yet is genuine mountains. I also haven't driven it in any snow yet, but I have driven it in temps ranging from 30f to 100f, on congested city streets, congested city highways, and on open roads with plenty of hills and twists for the pure joy of real driving. I've driven it as fast as 100mph more than once too, so what's the huge difference that causes you to get abysmal mpg in it? I wish I knew, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I've driven mine with the wind and against the wind, and in every combination of windows up or down and moonroof open or closed, and none of those things have made any huge noticeable difference in my mpg, it may go up or down slightly, but not enough to explain why others think I'm making all this up just to rub salt in their wounds with theirs. There has to be an explanation for it, I just don't know what it is. I haven't done anything special. I use regular octane unleaded gas from WalMart, no special additives and no mods.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    For this discussion, does the Audi A4 or A6 better fit into mid-size sedan?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • You and I, Allen, are basically saying the same thing in different ways. My point was that if you drive like the EPA test, you will get close to those results. Most people do not drive that way however.
  • neither model fits this discussion very well, because they are in A near luxury or luxury class.
  • I think the Jetta is more the culprit in the sales decline. It is about as exciting looking (inside and out) as a toaster. The low end "value" "S" model sports a torsion beam axle and the 2.0 engine with a whopping 115 hp, up ZERO from 1994. It was dubbed the "two-point-slow back then, so now it is just plain unacceptable. The flat black slab across the lower grill is awful, as are the gigantic flat black mirrors, which match the flat black interior I have just dubbed "coal mine graphite".

It's supposed to be a young persons car, not a Moscow bureaucrat's new fleet replacement for the Trabant.
    "It's supposed to be a young persons car, not a Moscow bureaucrat's new fleet replacement for the Trabant."

lmao!

All true.

But they are having trouble selling the Passat to the point where they have cut production....
    Mt Fusion seems to really like warm weather. Driving to work the last couple of days, my mileage went from 28.9 to 29.2 to 29.4.
    Some people are hang on every test result by C&D or CR. They should test those same cars in Denver.
    edited July 2013
    VW plans to bring Phaeton back to U.S. as Passat fades

FRANKFURT (Bloomberg) -- Volkswagen AG plans to bring back the Phaeton luxury sedan to the United States as the carmaker looks to reignite flagging growth in one of the few markets it has been unable to crack....

The Phaeton, a pet project of VW Chairman Ferdinand Piech, last year sold about half the volume worldwide that the company initially targeted. Its U.S. comeback is part of a plan to spend $5 billion over the next three years to roll out new models and boost sales in the United States, where deliveries have started to slip after a two-year burst following the 2011 rollout of the Passat and Jetta sedans that were redesigned for American tastes....

The company has been losing ground this year. VW's sales in the United States fell 0.9 percent to 206,792 in the first six months of 2013, while total light vehicle sales in the country rose 7.7 percent. The Jetta, Beetle and Passat models, which fueled VW's gains over the past two years, "reached maturity in terms of their sales cycles," said Tim Urquhart, a London-based analyst at IHS Automotive.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130716/OEM04/130719891#ixzz2ZIesGYga
    Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    Best looking non luxury sedans:
    1) Mazda 6 (not much of a contest)
    2-4) Tie depending on your biases: Malibu/Altima/Camry
    5) Sonata
    6) Accord
    No opinion: passat/optima/any thing else
    Comment: As stated, general consensus appears to be that the Mazda 6 is a really nice looking car. I kinda like the looks of the Malibu, even tho I hear it'll be moderately changed after just 1 year, but Altima and Camry also within the second tier. The Sonata is sharp, but now seems "dated"-- will be interesting to see the next generation. Accord appears very conservative to me-- somewhat like the previous generation camry was.
    None of this is a commentary on the interior/driving characteristics/etc. of the cars-- I'd rank those different. Just my opinion.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Since your Sonata has been so good to you why aren't you shopping that car? Ready for a change? I'm a big Honda fan, and think that the Accord is better than the Sonata in at least a few ways (visibility, handling, mpg, crash safety, etc.), but still I'm curious.

It's been good, but I don't love the driving dynamics. I have a relative out of town for several weeks who has asked me to drive her car some - a 2002 Accord with 110k miles on it. At 11 years old, it drives much better than my Sonata. It rides harsher, but drives like a sports car in comparison. I had a 2006 and it was the same way. The Sonata rides soft and feels big; great for cruising but it produces zero driving fun (unless you mat the throttle; the 3.3L is plenty quick!). I bought the Sonata because of the value equation. I don't dislike it, but it doesn't make me want a new one either.
    If you need more than 198 hp to pass an LLC or a slow merger, you need remedial driving lessons.

Having driven a 130hp Accord (1996) for 9 years, and now a 249hp Sonata V6 (2009), I'll say that you don't NEED the big power, but rather, it's a luxury worth paying for in some instances. I drive 100 miles a day. 84 of that is on 70mph-limited interstate. I'll pay the 3mpg penalty (19/29 vs 22/32 back in 2009) and have the reserve power when I want it. For what it's worth, I tend to stick around 70-72mph, and average 29mpg in daily commuting, 31mpg on trips.
    Am I right in thinking that the 2013 Accord is on your shopping list now? If so, which model?

You're right that the Accord is more agile in handling than most midsize sedans. The new model has electric steering, which apparently saves on gas, but doesn't give quite as much of a feel for the road at higher speeds imho. But everyone else these days has electric steering too. One of the biggest improvement in the new Accord is that for the first time it's a quiet car. You'll notice a big difference there.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I felt my '03 Accord Coupe LX V6 was very quiet, and very quick.

No Moon-roof, no leather, just the good stuff. I did have them add real wheels instead of the ugly hubcaps though.

I saved thousands over the EX and that's all I lost (moon roof and leather).

The 4-cylinder Accords at the time didn't have nearly as many goodies as the V6's even in EX trim.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    edited July 2013
    "....Camry sales fell 2 percent from January through June. Meanwhile its main rivals in the midsize car market — the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Ford Fusion — posted big gains. The hot-selling Accord trailed Camry in sales by 21,000 at the end of June. Last year at this time the gap was 59,000.

Toyota has raised discounts and cut the Camry's price in an effort to keep it on top. In early July, the Camry's average sales price was the lowest of the nine top-selling midsize cars, according to data from J.D. Power and Associates obtained by The Associated Press. Discounts on the Camry were among the highest in the segment, according to the data....

Through June, Toyota sold 207,626 Camrys. But Accord sales rose 21 percent during the same period to 186,860. Altima sales gained nearly 8 percent to 167,787, while Fusion sales rose nearly 19 percent to 161,146. Since January, the Camry's share of the midsize car market has fallen by 1.6 percentage points to 12.6 percent, according to Ward's Automotive. During the same period, the Accord gained 0.5 points to 11.2 percent.

To combat the falling sales and market share, Toyota has lowered the Camry's price. The Camry on average sold for just over $20,900 in early July, about $1,400 below the price from a year ago, according to the J.D. Power data. Discounts, such as low-interest loans and sweet lease deals, totaled nearly $3,100 per Camry, up almost $1,900 from July of last year and among the highest in the market, according to the data.

The Accord is rolling off dealer lots even though it sells for roughly $2,600 more than the Camry for an average of $23,500. That includes discounts of only $1,300 per car, the lowest in the market....
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    edited July 2013
    looks an awful lot like an '06 Hyundai Sonata to most folks.

BTW, the new Camry failed the offset crash test and Toyota is scurrying to re-design it (their new RAV4 also flunked that test).

Hyundai quietly upgraded their hybrid Sonata and its 6 speed auto transmission delivers a much more satisfying driving experience than Toyota's fleet of hybrids and their droning CVTs.

The Sonata passed the offset test.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    And Accord does it without any rental or taxi fleet sales.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    edited July 2013
    BTW, the new Camry failed the offset crash test and Toyota is scurrying to re-design it (their new RAV4 also flunked that test).

Actually, it's worse than it sounds. Toyota asked not to have the partial offset crash test performed on the RAV4 until AFTER they had a chance to redesign it. They redesigned it and then it failed. By publicly asking to wait until the redesign, then failing, they have given themselves a serious credibility issue. For Toyota's sake, I hope the 2014 camry passes that test or they may start to pay the price in terms of sales.
    edited July 2013
    The 2006 Sonata was seen by many to be copying the styling of the Accord. Small point, maybe, but the Accord isn't copying the previous generation's Sonata's styling, but is an evolution of its own styling going back to 1986.

Some of the razzmatazz styling of some midsize sedans can get to look dated pretty quickly. For instance, the current Sonata is already seeming a little dated to me and some others, while for many people even older Accords have a restrained and classic look that ages well. I think the same will be true of the current model.

Also, the "coupe-like" styling of some midsize sedans comes with some trade-offs—like poor visibility, big blind spots, and reduced rear headroom. I'm a "form follows function" guy, and so for me the style of the Accord works.

But some want more racy styling which for them stands out more, and that's fine too.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Personally I think the back of the new Accord looks a lot like the Genesis sedan, not the last-gen Sonata. Not a bad thing IMO.

As for the general resemblance of the new Accord to the last-gen Sonata... I don't see it. Maybe a bit in the front (it's a pretty generic front on both cars), but on the side the Accord has a much more pronounced Hofmeister kink than the Sonata.

I didn't like the look of the 2011 Sonata when it first arrived, but it's grown on me. Maybe because I have one in the family fleet, a 2013 red GLS, mainly my wife's car. I do like it in red/tan. It's been perfect so far, and an enjoyable and comfortable car to drive around town or on the highway. And better-than-EPA FE too, when driven with a light foot.
    Personally I think the back of the new Accord looks a lot like the Genesis sedan, not the last-gen Sonata. Not a bad thing IMO.

Agreed. Both are inoffensive (read: generic), but nice looking. Style isn't a sales point for a midsize car to me.

edited July 2013
    One of the biggest improvement in the new Accord is that for the first time it's a quiet car. You'll notice a big difference there.

My 2009 Sonata is still quieter than the 2013 Accord. Neither is objectionable to me though.

You're right that the Accord is more agile in handling than most midsize sedans. The new model has electric steering, which apparently saves on gas, but doesn't give quite as much of a feel for the road at higher speeds imho.

I'm more aware of the suspension tuning in the Accord vs. the Sonata; the Sonata feels a lot less disciplined than the Accord. Steering is quicker in the Honda, but both are relatively numb. It's the new standard these days.

Am I right in thinking that the 2013 Accord is on your shopping list now? If so, which model?

For what it's worth, I'm not a "first model-year buyer" simply because I'd rather have the better deal down the road. My vehicles have always been the first year of a mid-cycle refresh, not a full change (1996 Accord, 2006 Accord featuring a big exterior restyle, 2009 Sonata featuring a big interior restyle). The mechanicals have always been solid in these cars, and you have something that differentiates you from the prior years, but pricing isn't for an "all new car."

When I do look, it will likely be at a Sport or an EX-L 4-cyl (the leather-wrapped wheel is a must-have for me; yes that's a random requirement :) ). I'm not convinced I'll end up in an Accord, but it's on the short list.

I'll probably replace my Sonata in a year or so; I have 108k miles on it. With my entire immediate family living 300 miles away, I want to keep a car that is new enough I won't second guess my ability to leave town whenever I want.
    edited July 2013
    Your thinking about when to buy a model makes some sense. I'm more random. My first Accord was an LX bought in the summer of 2002, which was the last few months of that design (got a great deal). My next Accord was the 2008, which we still have, which was the first year of the all-new design. But aside from some squeaky brake pads, which were replaced for free by Honda, I've not had any troubles with the car. Our 2013 is similarly the first year of the all-new design, and so far it's been almost perfect, with the exception of a small software glitch in switching between bluetooth and navi that sometimes shows up, and which I presume will have a fix soon.

Since the late 1990s, as you probably know, the Accord has been on a 5-year design cycle. For instance, there was an all-new Accord in 2003, and then the third year of the model cycle was the great 2006 that you got with the standard led tail lights (that was the best mid-cycle restyle of any Accord generation imho).

Anyway, by that counting the new Accord won't get a restyle and refresh until model year 2016, which will appear in the late summer of 2015. Can you wait that long? Maybe you can make your Sonata last, or maybe consider a 2014 Accord?
  • And this will push down the re-sale value of these Camrys. Not that it matters much in most cases. As I have said before, you either pays upfront (with a higher transaction price), or you pays at re-sale (with a lower return), but either way, no one really comes out ahead.
  • fury63fury63 Member Posts: 31
    I've found the only way to get good MPG out of my Fusion is through cruise control unless I'm really, really conscious of how I'm pressing the accelerator. I can get 30mpg going between 70-74 mph going through the northern plain states (mild hills). If I drop to 65mph I can easily get 33+. Combined is around 28mpg although I do much more highway than city driving. I likes my gas pedal too much in city driving lol.
    Note that this won't change the EPA ratings but it will help drivers get better mileage in the real world.

It sounds like they had more time to test the new system and decided that they could safely raise the parameters.

Going to 85 mph on electric power is a shocker. I assumed they were maxed out at 62 mph due to technical limitations.

The good news is it's available to 2013 owners too.
  • lucien4lucien4 Member Posts: 68
    85 mpg in EV mode won't help really since it just will drain battery completely quickly. The other improvements though should make some difference.

To me real world mpg is fine of Fusion hybrid but the 13 gallon tank is very small to get decent range especially since no one really gets 47 mpg combined under normal driving conditions.

The upcoming Honda Accord hybrid has about 15.9 gallon tank and I'm guessing real world mpg will be higher. Although seats don't fold so each have pro/cons.
    It almost seems like the car could have been tested in the 'new' configuration. Then it was changed to be more conservative, but never retested, just because the change is done as a software reconfiguration.
    That would be illegal. Ford knows better.

85 mph will help those who do shorter high speed runs with braking in between.