Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• vservser Member Posts: 48
    In my crazy opinion, the fusion AWD feels tighter than the accord. The interior is sportier, with a great sound system. Seems like honda is honda, but big issues w their sound system and infotainment setup. Both cars have ample acceleration. Fwiw the fusion is more exp too.
    Crazy features. Rain sensing wipers, auto high beams, cooled seats, 12 speaker Sony stereo, remote start. Tough decision for me.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited September 2013
    My thoughts................ I have the V-6 accord its fast and tight. Accord is a little bigger inside and feels to me more upscale than the fusion. The radio is terrible in the accord the radio sounds like its playing out of tin speakers. Gas and resale are better on the accord. The Accord is a better buy than the mazda and fusion. I would test drive all 3 and consider the resale value and tech features in the accord which should win you over. Forward front crash det/ side view mirror camera/ back up camera/ lane watch detection. Pandora feature.

Another problem with the fusion is the door pillars are very wide its hard to see sometimes when turning. I rented a 2012 fusion for a week and hated it.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    The Accord is faster, gets higher safety ratings, and gets better mpg. The Fusion has a better top end sound system, and may have the other advantages talked about. Many people like the looks of the Fusion better. Both are great cars. You probably can't go wrong. Buy what your heart and head tell you to get.

Here's Car and Driver on the Accord V-6:

"...our Touring example sprinted to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds and tripped the quarter-mile lights in 14.1 seconds at 101 mph. Those figures put it solidly ahead of all its competitors and into sports-sedan territory; the Accord ties our long-term, six-speed-manual BMW 328i to 60 and trumps that car in the quarter by 0.2 second and 1 mph...."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-honda-accord-sedan-v-6-test-review
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Appreciate your oppinion. From what I've read and living in NJ, my prices to start at are for a 2014 v6 w Nav and touring are 27500 and 29500 (touring). Lmk if you think those numbers are good goals.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Auto-Sport honda in Bridge water Nj will sell for invoice on your model.
    If you buy at the end of the month you may be able to get vehicle for a little below invoice . Speak with the Int sales mgr. George tell him your my friend he will do the right thing by you. I'm in the Accord forum if you need me.

I'll tell you this........... i read what benjaminh posted on the Accord ratings and reviews... if the Accord V-6 came in stick what a beast it would be for the money.. I think i would enjoy this car even more. What i dont like about this model Accord is---- its to low to the ground, to small inside for me I'm 6'1 240 and when you move drivers seat back it reclines down. outside of these few things i dont like the Accord is a homerun. Most of my driving is done in bmw X-5. I have had several suv's the last 10 years so i guess i like the fact of being higher up and having a better view of the road and its easier to get in and out of the SUv's.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Same with the Optima EX. The stereo lacks bass response and I can tell the amp is probably only 15 watts per channel. The infotainment portion of the stereo is great though. It has USB, two AUX inputs, bluetooth, and Satellite radio.

To make things worse, the rear speakers are in the doors, not in the deck lid, which would have greatly improved bass response. So, I checked out the rear deck, hoping there were pre-cut holes there for the higher-end SX Infinity system so I could add some speakers and an amp, but no dice.

So, I added an Infinity 200 watt space saving powered sub-woofer in the trunk. Total cost including installation: $300. It takes up only 1 cubic ft of space, and fattened up the bass response. The stock stereo does have 6 speakers...so the sub addition very much solves the problem.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    The Fusion hybrid does have one of the best mpg ratings but it does cost quite a bit more than the 4cyl as does the Camry. Consumer Reports really likes it too. The MKZ hybrid is not as good deal a deal as the Ford.
    I'm sure Honda will price their hybrid just as high as Toyota whenever it finally arrives.

However, Sonata hybrids can be had for about the same as the Sonata 4cyl Ltds even with the hybrid Ltd package. And the Hyundai hybrids have standard features not found on any other trim level of the Sonata.

A poster on another forum reputedly got over $6K off msrp of the 2013 Sonata Hybrid Ltd last week probably because the 2014s will be at dealerships soon.

No changes for the HSH powertrain for 2014 as it was extensively upgraded for my 2013 and I can personally attest to the improvements as I traded a 2011 for a 2013.
    We have never gotten less than 40 mpg after 6,000 miles on the new one.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Reviews of the Sonata Hybrid consistently complain about the brakes, the handling, and delays in the power delivery. Not a situation I would want in a brand-new vehicle. Add to that the reputation of Hyundai USA making exaggerated claims as to economy and their consistent lack of customer & warranty support when problems are encountered and I would be very wary of buying a tech-filled vehicle like the Hybrid from Hyundai.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• I agree on the home-run aspect of the Accord. Folks who would like near sport sedan performance for a lot less than cars beginning with 3 or A will be happy with the EX-L V6, and many will be pleased to have a real 6 speed automatic instead of the CVT is lesser Accords.

The Accord V6 Coupe is available is available with a stick, and will make many sports car owners think twice before initiating a friendly stoplight sprint.

The Mazda 6 is a great choice too for a drivers car, perhaps the best as far a steering is concerned, but it's lack of an optional higher horsepower engine mean those looking for more zoom-zoom are shopping elsewhere. Mazda was supposed to add a 2.2 liter twin- turbo Diesel motor with an impressive 310 lb ft of torque, but I has now been delayed until late spring due to EPA certification problems.

However, while powerful, the Mazda diesel would most likely not be a high performance choice comparable with V6 Accords, turbo Son-optima's, and even the Malibu with it's 260 hp and 295 lb ft. turbo 4.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I really like my Fusion, it's a Titanium with everything except driver assist package(something like that).
    The 2.0 has more power than I need and delivers good mileage.
    I'm averaging about 29 mpg overall.
    You need to try several different cars and figure out which one works best for you.
    My BIL thinks it's too narrow inside, but I fit in it just fine.
    At some point, you mentioned AWD. None of the other cars being discussed here have that available.
    I had a 2007 Fusion AWD and it was excellent in bad weather. If you compare FWD and AWD Fusions back to back, you will see they drive very differently.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jackfrappartjackfrappart Member Posts: 1
    Agreed, Toyota has gotten too big for its britches. I own a 2001 Camry and I'm looking for a replacement. It seems like I'd be THE guy that Toyota would be courting for a new car but I've got nothing from them.

I had a dispute over a repair charge (an electrical problem that was solved with a new battery). I had to tell them that I'd bought that battery within the last 48 months, so it's on warranty and the cost is pro-rated, right? The guy behind the counter says in a disgusted tone, "Yeah." Then their charge was $50 higher than I thought it should be (and $50 higher than their quote). When I got a survey mailed to me and downgraded the Service Dept. based on this experience, I expected some sort of feedback or explanation or something. Not that want to make a federal case over a $50 dispute, but I was disappointed to hear back NOTHING.

Toyota doesn't think that they need to reach out to me, it's my JOB to come back to them and buy an overpriced vehicle. I don't think so, Toyota. The Camry has been a very good car but their customer service sucks, so I'll be looking elsewhere this time around. They're indifferent, so I don't care if they don't. Have a nice life, Toyota.
    My next door neighbor brought home his new S60 late yesterday.
    This morning someone backed into it in a parking lot, damaging both left side doors.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Everyone's nightmare! A colleague at work didn't engage her brake properly and her Honda rolled backward into my brand new one! Fortunately, neither car had so much as a scratch. The bumper was resting on my front license plate.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    None of the other cars being discussed here have that available.

The Legacy does of course. It is often overlooked in the mid-sized field but has a lot going for it besides AWD. FE is not very competitive but it does have the AWD while no other cars in this field do. Also it's a near-twin of the new Accord to my eyes, from the side. In fact, when I saw a Legacy the other day I had to look twice to tell it was a Legacy and not the new Accord.
    I know the Legacy has AWD, but this is the first time it was mentioned as an alternative to what started out as 'Accord or Fusion?'
    Your post re cars "being discussed here" wasn't very clear if you were talking only about the Accord and Fusion, or about all cars being discussed HERE, i.e. in this discussion on Mid-Sized Sedans.
    It doesn't hurt to read what's being discussed. ;)
    edited September 2013
    Some of those concerns was pretty evident in the 2011 and 2012 HSHs, especially jerky cold starts. Since we live less than a mile from a 4 lane and its 9 miles to town and a stoplight, my spouse and I never consistently experienced the jerkiness with our 2011.

As far as braking, we put over 50K on the 2011 and they always worked fine.

When I test drove the 2013 Sonata Hybrid (8 miles on ODO) ice cold in city traffic with lots of stop-and-go, I could immediately tell the major upgrades to the hybrid power train got rid of all drive-ability concerns reviewers of the 2011 and 2012 models mentioned. I traded for it two days later.

And while the 2011 HSH landed on Consumer Reports used cars to avoid, the 2012 with the same power train received a better-than-average used car verdict.

After 6,000 miles with the vastly improved 2013, I expect to see it garner CRs highest used car rating. Just amazing acceleration at interstate speeds and a second-and-a-half quicker 0 to 60 than the previous version, comparable with the Fusion h.

It also got a good review from Car & Driver so fuggettabout those old reviews.
  • I would really, really, really not want any "driver assistance".

I have read many reviews stating that the alert chimes were so annoying that the first thing the driver did was turn the electronic nannies off.

Plus, many of us already have a free alert system. It is called a spouse, and I really wish I could turn that off too.
  • Kia "service" isn't any better. I had to visit the dealer 3 times for them to replace the center console lid-latch. Imagine if it was a transmission!
  • Here is what Edmund's had to say about the 2013 Sonata hybrid:

"These updates should add up to a better Sonata Hybrid, but it's still facing stiff competition from the similarly priced 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid (47 mpg combined EPA rating) and 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid (41 mpg combined), which offer higher mpg ratings and a more refined driving experience. If the bottom line is important to you, keep in mind that the conventional Hyundai Sonata is a better value than the hybrid sedan, as it costs several thousand dollars less and has a respectable 28 mpg combined rating"
    edited September 2013
    Car & Driver on the HSH:

The 2013 Sonata hybrids acceleration and fuel-economy improvements are quantifiable and worth mentioning, but the cars better-integrated drivability makes a significant difference.

We already liked the smooth electric drive-off feel and the fact that the Sonata hybrid forgoes the usual wheezy CVT for a more-pleasing six-speed step-gear automatic, but Hyundai really hit the books to work out the kinks and smooth transitions between electric and gas-engine hybrid modes.

The clutch that takes the place of the torque converter engages more quickly; its interval, according to Hyundai powertrain director John Juriga, decreased from 1.0 to 0.7 second. The goal was for good response with no untoward delays or bumpy transitions.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You can turn off the spouse, too but it's usually a very expensive and lengthy process.
    I wonder how much it would cost to turn off krypto's shilling for Hyundai?

Yes, for someone like my wife and me who don't put more than about 8k miles on her Sonata a year, the price premium of the hybrid over the GLS is hard to justify unless you want some of the other features in the hybrid. I get upper 30s mpg on the highway with the GLS, mid 20s in town. These cars can be had for ~$18-19k new. (We are paying $47/month for a 3-year lease with 0 out of pocket, but did trade in a beat up 2007 Sonata GLS.)

But it's not just the Sonata hybrid where the math doesn't work out for me... over 9 years ago I nearly bought a then-all-new Prius hatchback, but it took too long to deliver so I started looking at alternatives and found a car about the same size (Elantra GT hatchback) with more features (moonroof, leather, 8-way drivers seat etc.) for $9k less. We still own it, put about 7-8k miles per year on it (my son does anyway). That $1000 a year more than paid for the entire gas bill for the Elantra over its lifetime. Plus I really enjoyed the moonroof and adjustable driver's seat when I was driving the car.
  • gene103gene103 Member Posts: 47
    At least one of Krypto's recent posts reminded me that I need to make an appointment with my optometrist. I apparently have been missing those "eye catching" front and rear lights.
  • It was the interior of the Optima that really won me over verses the Sonata. I think Kia really worked hard on this car, kind of a make-it-or break-it all out effort, and it really paid off.

Like I have said before, I still get stopped at the grocery store/Walmart by folks who love the way it looks, and after I tinted the windows and added mud-guards, a factory spoiler, and gloss black b-pillar trim, it really looks like a car costing thousands more.

The Sonata just didn't have the features that I love in cars, like the fog lights and dual exhaust for the same money.

If anyone has any doubt of the cars beauty, here is my car so you can see for yourself. http://imgur.com/a/gadqq#OoEzbW7
    Response to ab348 complaint about MPG ratings:

As to the mpg exaggeration, Hyundai Corp voluntarily - I’ll repeat that for emphasis - VOLUNTARILY sent 2011 and 2012 owners Visa cash cards based on their cars’ mileage. MPG estimates for the vastly improved 2013 also appear to be underrated and these cars do not qualify for rebates. More on that below.
    I do not recall Ford MC doing this when they also got caught over estimating MPG on certain models (CR found that the Lincoln MKZ hybrid mpg was off its EPA rating by a whopping 11 mpg).

I got just shy of $200 from them before trading in my 2011 which we consistently got 37 - 39 mpg year round. All us owners had to do was get the mileage verified @ a dealership. They came promptly - my second Visa card came in slightly less than two weeks after verification at an oil change.
    Also note that is good for the life of the car for the original owner.

Following info on Hyundai MPG Estimates comes verbatim from a 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Overview on HybridCars.com:

Hyundai downgraded the 2012 Sonata Hybrids by 1 mpg on their EPA estimates.
    In question now is whether, having been chastened by its lessons, and sending the Sonata Hybrid back to the drawing board, the 2013s may possibly under promise but over deliver.
    The MPG advertising number game is a big part of the marketing for these cars, and Ford was similarly caught short with its “47 mpg” Fusion Hybrid.

We pressed Hyundai for details as to whether these specs add up to more than the conservative upticks in EPA estimates suggest. The last time Hyundai was accused of overpromising, it fully admitted its overstepping the bounds, and immediately got busy updating the cars to make good in full.

We asked whether instead of overstating mileage its self-certification for EPA numbers might be holding back a little in a more conservative stance?

Hyundai would not directly answer this pointed question, but Senior Manager, Midwest Product Public Relations Miles Johnson merely said, “All I can say is I can’t wait for you to drive it.”
    Hyundai was caught not following the EPA test procedures resulting in invalid EPA ratings. They Voluntarily sent checks because they had no other choice - the EPA would have probably fined them otherwise and it's good PR.

Ford has never been caught with incorrect EPA ratings on the 2013 Fusion or CMAX hybrid. The EPA ratings on the Fusion hybrid are correct and has already been scrutinized by the EPA. The CMAX used a loophole in the EPA rules that allowed them to use the same test results for both the Fusion and CMAX hybrid instead of using CMAX test ratings that were lower. This was perfectly legal but not the right thing to do so Ford also compensated owners.
    They did it "voluntarily" because of their history of deceit. My wife got an extended warranty thanks to their horsepower lies on the original Santa Fe.
    Exactly. They seem to be a bit weak in the corporate character dept. Same with the persistent rumors that they pay people to post glowing comments in online message boards like this. Now we know that couldn't possibly be true, could it?

trying to stay on the discussion topic, mid sized sedans.

However I did purchase the first Sonata Hybrid sold in Virginia from Fairfax Hyundai and consequently experienced all of the early adopter issues from a persistent CEL light to a check charging event that really startled me.

As I detailed my experiences with Hyundai Corp via email and with over the phone with Fairfax Hyundai's Operations Director I admit I did experience some frustration due to the newness of the platform and the delays in solving the problems.

I was also one of a handful of HSH owners that Hyundai chose to replace the Hybrid Power Control Unit ($4,000) until they discovered the real fix. The company and their dealers have treated me very fairly so far, that's why I traded for another HSH.

Much more detailed information on HyundaiForums.com about the early adopter issues and fixes for any serious poster.

So how about you resume discussing mid sized cars instead of making nutty accusations?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've tried. Unless you have "links" to back up your opinion, you're "wrong." That opinion is proven fact.

There has been talk about the Sonata Hybrid being "reliable" etc. from Consumer Reports. Reliable and pleasurable to drive are two very different concepts.
    I've bought quite a few first year vehicles and am used to having some early adopter issues.
    My Fusion is going in on Wednesday to have the 'fuel delivery module' replaced.
    Also, it reads empty, but only takes about 12 gallons of fuel, although the tank is 16.5. There is a TSB for that.
    It's not a big deal, as I get 360 to 375 miles per tank now.
    If I could use all of it, I figure I could make it from central CT to Cleveland, OH (one of my kids lives there) on a single tank.
    For some reason, I really want to try it.
    and approaching 60K on a 2010 Venza.
    My Venza is much more roomy and comfortable than the Camry LE was but the Sonata beats them both on long trips.

I routinely make 175 mile one-way day trips so I have plenty of seat-time to base my opinion on.

As far as links you appear to have missed the info posted sourced from Consumer Reports, Hybridcars.com and Car & Driver or can't find that info w/o help.

From US News:

The 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid ranks 3 out of 20 Affordable Midsize Cars.
    This ranking is based on our analysis of 19 published reviews and test drives of the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, and our analysis of reliability and safety data.

The automotive press agrees that the 2013 Sonata Hybrid has an upscale, spacious interior that is built well.
    They like that it comes with so many standard features, which some think makes it a good value among hybrids.
    Standard features include Bluetooth, satellite radio, dual-zone automatic climate control, push-button start and auxiliary and USB jacks.

"Family sedan shoppers looking for a roomy, well-equipped hybrid with some distinctive styling should put the Sonata Hybrid on their short list." -- Edmunds (2011)

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Sonata-Hybrid/
    Really glad to see an American sedan outdoing the Camry & Accord in styling, creature comfort and MPG. The Fusion hybrids are especially attractive.

explorex4, would like to hear more about the issue with the quantity of fuel u can pump into your Fusion.
    Wayne Gerdes has reputedly gotten almost 21 gallons into the Sonata's stated 17.5 capacity fuel tank.
    I have pumped over 18 into my HSh tank.
    We routinely get 600 miles per tank and over 700 miles several times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    I am really ready for a Fusion SHO, which Ford should build promptly instead of wasting resources on the Taurus. I see very few Taurus's on the road these days. I remember the 1996 through 2004 Taurus sold like hotcakes. They were everywhere, but then in 2005, they disappeared, as Ford tried to move the Taurus up to full size. The nameplate has been struggling ever since. The Lincoln MK-S shares the Taurus platform. Motortrend simply said "avoid" about the MK-S. Ouch. (October 2013 issue, page 106).

The powerful 3.7 V6 already fits in the Fusion bay, as it is an option on the MK-Z in which it shares it's platform, so it is totally doable. I am sure it will happen, but right now it would steal sales from Lincoln, which has been struggling ever since the MK badge system appeared.
  • I read the review, and it was indeed very positive. Are you noticing any sluggishness when the car is in blue mode? Also, have you taken your HSH on any long trips, and if so how many miles can you get on a tank?

Is there anything that bothers you on the car? Everyone here has something that they don't like about their car...like my poor visibility when backing in.

Lastly, you mentioned your engine had to be replaced, but you then bought another one. Most would have walked away, no matter how nice corporate was.
    Expect a Fusion ST model but my guess is it will get a 2.3L Ecoboost rather than a 3.5L or 3.7L V6 even though it would fit. Should easily be able to exceed 300 hp and lb/ft of torque with the proper tuning.

As for the gas tank, either the tank doesn't fill all the way or the level gauge is incorrect and/or the calibration is off for the level. There is also a slight chance of a leaky tank which is the reason for the recall. The solution is to recalibrate the gauge cluster and in some cases replace the tank and/or the leaky sender. Once done it won't reoccur and it's no longer happening on the new ones. I have to get mine in soon. The only downside is you only use about 12 gallons instead of 15 each fillup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    A 2.3 ecoboost? The last 2.3 turbo I heard of was on the Mustang SVO and the t-bird turbo back in the 80's.

Please tell me more about it!
    A 2.3 ecoboost engine has been rumored for some time now and might debut on the new Lincoln MKC small crossover. It's just a larger version the current 2.0L Ecoboost but probably has the improvements from the newer 1.5L ecoboost specifically in the area of cooling.

It would give the ST model more power over the Fusion Titanium. I would expect it to also become the base engine for the MKZ for more differentiation there too.
    Hyundai USA has co-opted much of the automotive media so reviews are rarely accurate. The best examples of that are the reviews of the 2010 Sonata which were simply ecstatic, immediately labeling it as best in class, a revolution, etc. Unmentioned were the issues with numb or outright defective steering, a jittery ride, the persistent left pull on the highway, and poor overall dynamics. Similar things happened with the more recent Elantra intro. Such issues would seemingly be difficult to miss, and it makes one wonder what the company does to get such favorable reviews. Even this site admitted to having the President of Hyundai USA taking their editors to Dodger games - a very strange thing indeed. I mean, would Alan Mullally accompany a reporter to a baseball game? I will give Hyundai credit for a very clever media relations strategy that gave Walmart-quality goods a sterling reputation among automotive writers. Now they need the same kind of cleverness in their engineering, manufacturing, and parts sourcing.

I don't recall any such wonderful reviews for the 2010 Sonata, which was the last year for a car that debuted in early 2005. A nice family car, sure, but I don't recall any reviews calling it "best in class" etc. (although the interior, redesigned for 2009 MY, was quite nice IMO).

When the all-new 2011 Sonata debuted in January 2010, it was a strong entry in the mid-sized class, competing against the likes of the prior-generation Accord, Fusion, Malibu, Camry, Mazda6, Altima, Passat, and Optima. It got very positive reviews and rightly so, for its combination of style, power, fuel economy, value, interior room, and improved handling (compared to its predecessor). Now all of those cars have been redesigned, leaving the Sonata as the oldest of the bunch (except for the woeful 200/Avenger).

When the current Elantra design was introduced in 2010, it was a very strong entry in the compact class. Certainly was a better car than the Corolla, Civic, Forte, and Focus available then. Three years later, it's still a good car but has been eclipsed by the new Focus, Forte, and Mazda3 and maybe the new Corolla, and the Civic has improved a lot for 2013 (pushed by the acceptance of the Elantra in part).

Hyundai doesn't sell as many cars as it does because HMA's president took his son to a baseball game.
    Backy, thanks for pointing out another attempt by Hyundai to confuse and deceive by introducing the 2011 Sonata in Jan 2010. I too thought the redesign was the 2010 model.
  • Car companies frequently release cars way earlier than their model year. I don't think Hyundai was trying to confuse anyone. In mid 2010 I saw the first '11 Kia Optima at my moms dealership while taking her Forte' in for service. I ended up buying one.

I don't understand your ranting about Hyundai, like they are a terrorist group out for blood. They made some mistakes, but building the Sonata wasn't one of them. They upped the ante' for the whole mid-size field, which just means better cars for the consumer.
    The recalled part can crack causing a fuel leak, and although I have no such issue, it's better to get it taken car of.
    I have run the car past zero DTE, but I'd rather get that corrected, too.
    Some say a software update will fix it and others get a new fuel tank.
    Overfilling the tank can cause issues with the evaporative fuel recovery system, so I'm avoiding that.
    The most fuel I put in the car at one time is 13.5 gallons, most are between 12 and 12.5. Since I'm getting close to 30 mpg, I don't feel range deprived.
    cski posted:
    “You mentioned your engine had to be replaced, but you then bought another one. Most would have walked away, no matter how nice corporate was.”

Quote from my earlier post:
    “I was also one of a handful of HSH owners that Hyundai chose to replace the Hybrid Power Control Unit ($4,000) until they discovered the real fix.”

So the HPCU (more info on that below) was replaced, not the internal combustion engine.
    Hyundai only did a few of these as they learned that beefing up select connectors between electrical components and new software flashes saved doing this expensive replacement. I saw the invoice for the HPCU, $4,000 and change and 7 hours to swap out.
    Dealership also provided a car to me, gratis.

I did not have any more check charging events; 45,000 trouble free miles and
    that’s one of the reasons I traded up for a 2013.

From another of my earlier posts:
    “We routinely get 600 miles per tank and over 700 miles several times.”

From ATZW:
    Hybrid Power Control Unit
    For the Sonata Hybrid two inverters (for the main electric motor and the Hybrid Starter Generator), a DC/DC converter, and a hybrid system control unit (HCU) is integrated into one unit, which is called hybrid power control unit (HPCU). The inverter has a control board, power semiconductors, DC-link capacitor, bus bar, current sensors, and heat sink. The control board controls inverters for the two motors with one 32-bit processor.

In conventional vehicles, an alternator is fitted to the engine to supply the energy necessary to support the electric load of the vehicle. In hybrid electric vehicles, generally, a DC/DC converter replaces the conventional alternator to enhance the fuel economy. The output voltage varies from 12 to 14 V dependent on vehicle conditions such as acceleration, regenerative braking, engine operation status, electric load etc.

The HCU is a supervisory controller. Using information from vehicle, driver, engine, power electronic components and battery, it determines the operations of engine, transmission, motor and sends out control signals as a command or request to the controllers. The cooperative control among transmission, motor and engine clutch can determine the shift quality. The HCU supervises such cooperative controls for enhancement of dynamic performance, drivability and fuel economy in Sonata Hybrid.

Kinda' techy but the its simplest explanation available.
    The new Mustang might also get that engine.