Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• gene103gene103 Member Posts: 47
    I live on the 22nd floor so no heavy duty air pumps or electric cars for me.
  • kyrptokyrpto Member Posts: 216
    Hyundai’s Theta II GDi engine cranks out 190 horsepower and 179 lb.-ft. of torque which beats all mid-sized base 4 cyl. sedans except the new Malibu which has 196 horses.

The SE trim version with its dual exhaust produces 192 horsepower and 181 lb.-ft. of torque.
    Agile and very, very quick.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I keep a Harbor Freight portable air pump that operates from the cigarette lighter plug in the car. There's cheap plastic model and a higher-priced metal one. I watched for the 20%/25% off coupon from Harbor Freight ads or from signing up on their websites and bought it when it was on sale in the store.

It's in a small canvas bag and the only downside is it has to be running before screwing it onto the tire valve: it won't start up against the tire pressure if it's already attached.

Currently 21.99

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hyundai reduced the hp on the Sonata for 2014?? My 2013 GLS makes 198 hp, and the SE 200 I believe.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Comparing hp is kind of meaningless unless you look at the whole curve from idle to redline. Car A may have more hp than car B, but only above 6,000 rpm where most cars spend very little time.

Accord and Sonata have basically the same torque. Accord 181 and Sonata 179. That is more relevant.

Despite more hp the Sonata is slower in every performance test that consumer reports did (non - biased and under the same conditions) except for 0-30 where it was tied. 0-60, 45-65, 1/4 mile and 1/4 mile speed were all slower.

To use the horse analogy. ;) It does not matter if your race horse is stronger, just if it is faster.

Power is only one part of what makes a vehicle accelerate quickly.

One easy way to look at power. If weightlifter A can lift 100 lbs 10 times in 10 seconds he is just as powerful as weightlifter B that can lift 500 lbs 2 times in 10 seconds. Weightlifter A's speed is what gives him his power since power is measured over time, but weightlifter B is the one you want to help you move your piano.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    I have the 12 volt models as well. They take forever to add pressure but definitely are handy if you need air on the road. My 110 pump cost about 40-50 dollars. Had it for decades.
    Seems like Hyundai basically kept hp about the same but added some torque and may up mpg a little.

Very good analysis dudley.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >forever to add pressure but definitely are handy if you need air on the road.

Or if you don't want to feed $1.50 to the 3 minute pump at the quick market.

I started carrying mine when I had low pressure signal and got off next to Detroit Metro Airport and luckily the Shell station there had free air. Next to the airport. I figured I would have to pay to pump 'er up. Now the portable is in the trunk when I travel.

Mine may take 3-4 minutes to do 5 pounds if the tire is above 30.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    What is this paying for air thing you speak of. Does not exist in these parts - great plains.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    But those are Korean horses which are apparently smaller and less powerful than those from other manufacturers, since despite higher quoted numbers, they never seem to be able to move the car faster than makes with allegedly less power. Or perhaps the numbers are just slightly inflated to make the car sound better than it is, who knows...

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Consumers aren’t buying boatloads of Sonatas because they have the most horsepower; the spacious interior sells more units.

At 120.2 cubic feet, the Sonata has more interior volume than all of its key competitors.
    Comfy and spacious.
    So spacious that the Sonata is classified by the EPA as a “large car,” so it is literally a “class above” the Fusion, Camry, Altima, and Malibu which are rated as “midsize cars“ by the EPA.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited October 2013
    On a recent 100+ mi hwy trip in our 2013 Accord CVT at c. 65-72 mph we got 39 mpg. If we had been driving our 2008 Accord on this trip we would have gotten more like 30 mpg.

The new generation of midsize cars from Nissan, Honda and Mazda are getting c. 20% better hwy mpg than the previous generation.

I assume that when the new generation of Sonata and Optima come out in 2015 they will match these numbers.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    kyrpto wrote: "the spacious interior sells more units. "

More units than what?

The Camry, Accord, Fusion, and Altima sell way more units than the Sonata. The Sonata is a fine car, and for 2014 Hyundai has added some nice improvements, but it's far from being a sales leader.

Hope they fix the blind spots on the Sonata for 2015.
    edited October 2013
    "The Sonata’s quick-ratio steering rack has a turning diameter of 35.8 feet, better than the Accord, Camry, Altima, Fusion and Chevy Malibu.
    Easier to park."

True, but....

The Sonata's IIHS small-offset crash test rating was Marginal, which is worse than the Good rating of the Accord, and the Acceptable rating of the Altima, Optima, Fusion, Passat, Legacy, Fusion, Chrysler200, etc.

The Sonata is a fine car and very competitive in most areas. But it's not tops at everything.

I actually wonder if Hyundai beefed up the structure of the 2014 Sonata, along with the other improvements, so that it would perform better on the IIHS small offset test. Quite possibly. In any case, when the all-new model comes out for 2015 the Sonata will almost certainly do better on the test.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/midsize-moderately-priced-cars
    edited October 2013
    According to the epa. Combined city/hwy mpg for the base 2014 models with auto....

31: Mazda6, Altima
    30: Accord
    29: Malibu
    28: Optima, Sonata, Camry
    26: Fusion
    25: Passat
    24: Chrysler 200
    edited October 2013
    One selling point for mid-sized sedan buyers are the, if you will, “infotainment” systems most vehicles are built around.
    Ford is still trying to recover from its myTouch disaster so Hyundais' Assurance Connected Care, the industry-leading telematics services program, which comes standard for three years with all 2014 Sonatas, gives the Korean automaker a huge edge.
    edited October 2013
    For 2014 the Sonata’s premium navigation system includes an Infinity 550-watt, Logic 7 surround sound audio system with 12 speakers, including an available eight-inch subwoofer and external amplifier. That’s up a 150-watts from my 2013 Hybrid Limited.
    I believe this is just about as-good-as-it-gets for the mid-sized sedan market; definitely clobbers any Bose system.
    edited October 2013
    "....gives the Korean automaker a huge edge."

Maybe more like a slight edge in this one area? Not sure. The Sonata is a very good car, but not everything about the Sonata is peachy. Here's a sometimes good and sometimes lukewarm review of the 2013 Sonata from Automobile magazine....

"The Sonata is the clear loser of this match-up," deputy editor Joe DeMatio exclaims with surprise. "Excellent power delivery, but the engine is coarse and the transmission is its willing accomplice." Road test editor Christopher Nelson concurs. "I can see why this would've been an All-Star before its competitors were replaced with new models," he says. "It has a very strong engine, but it's coarse, with more idle noise than a good diesel." When you break down the Sonata's game, you're surprised to find too many negatives. The Sonata's 200-hp four-cylinder is powerful, yet copy editor Rusty Blackwell found its throttle tip-in to be touchy. We also disliked the Sonata's mushy brakes and numb steering, while this car's sport suspension delivered too much road harshness for too little handling improvement. "On a smooth road, the Sonata feels fine, but get it on a road with some bumps and it immediately starts to feel twitchy and unsettled," managing editor Amy Skogstrom says. The 2013 Hyundai Sonata delivers a lot of game for the money, and this continues to make it a leading value in its segment. Even so, it's just a little bit off from the best in every category, which proves crucial in a head-to-head tournament like this. For example, the bodywork is expressive, yet the roofline noticeably compromises rear-seat headroom....

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1303_midsize_madness_day_two/viewall- - .html#ixzz2hst5wiLl
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    While MyFordTouch is a huge miss for Ford it's hard to say they are "still trying to recover" from it. Their sales numbers prove otherwise, as do the sales numbers for the Sonata which is battling the Malibu for last place.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    The Altima is 31 but the Mazda6 is 30. Fusion 1.5LEB (the new base engine) is 28, not 26. CVTs really help city fuel economy.
    You're right about Mazda being 30. Sorry about that. And it looks like the Optima is 27 this year, which is strange because the engine and transmission are shared with the Sonata.

According to Ford's web site, the 2.5 duratec, rated 22/34, or 26 combined, is still the standard engine on the Fusion for 2014. But maybe that's about to change?

http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/specifications/
    Base model with auto trans....

31: Altima
    30: Mazda6, Accord
    29: Malibu
    28: Sonata, Camry
    27: Optima
    26: Fusion
    25: Verano
    24: Chrysler 200
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Just took a trip in our 2013 Honda Accord from Ohio to Washington, DC and back. It was a good test of the car because it involved driving through the Alleghenies over the Cumberland Gap, snarled traffic in downtown Washington (though less than usual unfortunately since everything is closed), and a driving rainstorm for the first half of the trip. There is also some two-lane driving with Amish buggies on the Ohio part. Overall mpg each way was 33.5 on the rain half and 35 on the way back, which I thought was pretty good given the conditions.

Driving through the mountains was the first time I was aware that I was driving a 4cyl and not my V6 Maxima, which took everything in stride. The Accord also made it through easily but I was aware the engine was working harder. However, it handled beautifully especially in the downpour where there was actual ponding on the roads. It has wonderful visibility which was much appreciated in both the rainstorm and city driving. Interestingly, the rear window stayed completely dry the entire time. I also appreciated driving nearly 500 miles on 1 tank of gas, and regular, not premium.

The Accord has one feature that I learned about on this trip. I'm sure they're common on cars with push button start but it was new to me. My husband was trying to put a bag in the trunk and it wouldn't close. It also sounded a small alarm. Turned out my remote was in the bag, and the Accord doesn't want you to lock your keys in the trunk.

All in all, while I loved my Maxima dearly, I have to admit that the Accord is actually overall a better vehicle. I'm speaking strictly of driving dynamics since of course any new car is going to have many more features than were available 12 years ago.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    The 2.5 is standard but the 1.5L EB is the fuel economy version just as the CVT equipped models are the fuel economy versions on the others. I expect the 2.5L to go away within another year or so.
    I assume that when the new generation of Sonata and Optima come out in 2015 they will match these numbers.

Likely. But in real-world driving, the Sonata already matches what you got on your new Accord. In multiple 100+ highway trips with my wife's 2013 Sonata GLS, we got ~38 mpg, and that was with some in-town driving at the destination. Pretty darn close to the 39 mpg you got on your Accord with CVT.

30 mpg on a 2008 Accord (if it was a 4 cylinder) at 65-72 mpg is pitiful.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Yes, but if one checks the option for i-ELOOP on the Mazda6 the EPA numbers are 28/40/32. Best in class for something that doesn't affect it's drive or braking and doesn't add weight.
    "so Hyundais' Assurance Connected Care, the industry-leading telematics services program, which comes standard for three years with all 2014 Sonatas, gives the Korean automaker a huge edge."

So where do you get this stuff from, a Hyundai sales brochure? Most of your posts look like they are copied and paste from advertising.
    edited October 2013
    The epa has a 2 mpg difference between the Sonata and the Accord, which admittedly isn't huge, but some independent tests seem to find something similar. For instance, this AutoGuide comparison had the Sonata getting 27.4 mpg while the Accord got 29.8, a difference of slightly more than 2 mpg. We actually did hit 40 once on a hwy trip with the CVT Accord, and so I think it does still have a small but significant edge of about 2 mpg over the Sonata in real world driving.

But some tests show that the Accord is beaten by about 1 mpg by the Altima and Mazda6. So those cars might set standard for mpg right now in midsize. But this AutoGuide test shows the Accord, Altima, and Mazda6 all tied at c. 29 mpg.

The 2008 Accord isn't impressive for mpg, but neither were other cars back then. It was rated 31 on the highway, and sometimes we get that at 65-70, but that's about it. That 30 number I mentioned was fully loaded with 4 people, luggage, and the AC on full blast. Back in 2008, however, most midsize cars were similar, including the previous generation Sonata. The 2008 Sonata was, in fact, rated at 30 on the highway--and so 1 mpg lower than the Accord of that year.

Here's the AutoGuide test:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/07/2013-2014-mid-size-sedan-comparison-t- - - - - oyota-camry-vs-honda-accord-vs-mazda6-vs-hyundai-sonata-vs-nissan-altima-vs-vw-p- - - - - assat-vs-subaru-legacy-vs-kia-optima.html/3
    edited October 2013
    Yes. With eloop the Mazda6 is hands down the winner. And even without that it seems to win some of the mpg comparison tests that I've seen.

The new skyacitiv Mazda6 seems to be the winner in some key areas, including handling, steering feel, sometimes mpg, and, although it's very subjective, maybe looks as well.

For me with a family the larger back seat and better visibility of the Accord are key features, along with the more widely available service and better navi.

But right now most comparison tests looking at most midsize cars seem to give a strong vote to the Mazda6, and I expect sales to increase at a good clip for the next several years. Mazda appears to be on a roll. They really have some engineering excellence on their side.

Having owned both Hondas and Mazdas I still prefer the Accord.
  • I think it is very useful to know which tire. I drove 400 miles on vacation with 4 new tires, but at 280 my TPMS flashed, and so I got off at the next exit to check it out. It was off by 3 psi, and was due to heat and the pressure variance that happens with high speed driving on hot pavement.

In other words, normal. It would have saved me an unscheduled stop if I knew which tire and how much it was off. When you have your most precious cargo in the car (my 3 kids), you can't just blow it off.

On the way back, it happened again. After slowing to 50 mph through a town for 20 miles, it shut off on it's own.

I have to give kudo's to my Turanza tires. They are fantastic in heavy rain, and I noticed a big difference in tire noise too. Very quiet, confidence inspiring tires, and very resistant to hydroplaning.
    Heat would cause the pressure to go up, not down. Does your TPMS give a warning for pressure that's too high? What does it consider to be too high? You won't normally get more than a 3-4 psi difference when hot and that should already be figured into the TPMS algorithm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
    Yeah backy I checked it out. Both the 2014 Sonata and the Optima are reporting horsepower reductions to 190 and 192 depending on single or dual exhaust.

Makes you wonder if our cars ever really produced 198 and 200 that I am so proud of.

After seeing many comparo's in many magazines I always noticed that our Sonoptima's were not generating performance figures commiserate with the stated horsepower and weight of the car. Seems like F/E was not the only thing being exaggerated at Hyundai-Kia.

****I got the figures directly from the official Sonata and the Optima web site. Car and Driver still report 200 and 198.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2013
    I didn't say down. I said "off". I don't remember really how much or which one. I had 3 kids screaming for food and a bathroom break. I know I evened them all out, and then on the way back TPMS flashed again, but shut off after 20 miles through town at reduced speed.

It has never come on since. I check my tires all the time.
    "Heat would cause the pressure to go up, not down."

He didn't say it went down and insinuated by the term heat/speed induced that it was up. Anyway, I think most TPMS measure both ways and will give a warning whether too high or too low but that is an educated guess on my part. I would agree that 3lbs seems to be way too touchy. My Acura shows each tire pressure and when I leave the garage they are at about 30 and after a few miles on the expressway they are up to 34. I would have lights going on all the time if it measured only a 3lb variance.
    So what pressure do you normally run vs. what the vehicle sticker recommends?
    My tpms used to come on with my Accords, which was annoying. I replaced the regular air with nitrogen and that seemed to fix it. I'm sure you probably already know about that possible fix.
    The law only requires a warning for under-inflation. I've not heard of systems warning for over-inflation. The under-inflation mandate is 25% based on the car placard recommended pressure. Since there is no mandate for overinflation it would be up to the mfr on the threshold.
    I think you're right. They just got through with a marketing nightmare on their MPG numbers. They had some trouble about 10 years ago with overestimating their HP numbers too. So I think the powers on high said to go back and make sure we can absolutely prove every single stat we are putting out and if it's borderline at all.....error on the side of caution. They don't need more negative headlines. But you can be sure all the car rags will jump on this mysterious HP reduction when the powertrain itself doesn't appear to be changed.
  • sticker is 32, and I run them at 35. On my Nexens I ran them high but after I got the s*** kicked out of me here for doing it, I don't go over 3 psi from recommended.

The tpms system checks for variance....it has no idea what the pressure is supposed to be.
    Yeah, you may be right and cski's experience was a blip or malfunction possibly. I just assumed that since the system can measure low it could also measure high. I would think a drastically overinflated tire would be dangerous as well though even if there is no federal mandate.
    We actually did hit 40 once on a hwy trip with the CVT Accord...

And I hit 42 mpg once on a highway trip in my Sonata. ;)

The 2013 Sonata does exhibit better FE than the 2007 Sonata I4 we had before that, despite a big boost in hp in the newer car. I always got over the EPA 30 mpg highway number on the 2007 car, typically 33-34 mpg at 65-70 mph. So the 2013 does well in comparison. And is pretty close to the latest designs despite being a 4-year-old model.

I'm amazed at how close in highway FE my Sonata can come to my 2013 Rio, despite the Sonata having 60 more horses and a lot more weight. The Rio does much better around town than the Sonata, however. Both have the 6AT.
    edited October 2013
    lol! I've never gotten more than 40, and so you've got me beat.

But a guy over at driveaccord.net had a 600+ mile tank and got 43.1 mpg....He even has a pic of it:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75020&page=34
  • I agree. If I was Mr. Hyundai, that is exactly what I would do. I knew something was up when I saw some dyno numbers on my car. It was making 139 hp at the wheels. The parasitic losses are usually 30% to 35%. At 35%, my car would then put out 187 HP. So, I think 192 is a realistic number considering that peak horsepower may only be measured at 5900 to 5950 rpm, with sustained horsepower more like 185.

35% parasitic losses is surprisingly accurate with an automatic tranny, which is why the move to CVT's.
    Funny, you say "we" got X mpg and backy says "I" got X mpg. Maybe you should only measure your MPG when you are by yourself and not hauling the whole family and gear. Add 500 lbs or more and any car will get less MPG. Driving by yourself on a lengthy highway trip could put you at 40+ mpg or more it sounds like. Elevation and temp plays some role too not a whole lot unless you're in the mountains.
    The Hyundai system does not check for variance between tires - it uses a stem mounted sensor. It does not check for overinflation - only underinflation by 25%. If your system does not indicate which tire is low then it will also illuminate the TPMS tire symbol to indicate both a low pressure AND a sensor fault. For a sensor fault it flashes the light 60 seconds first. It could have been easily mistaken for a low tire.

This is true for 2010+ models - I suppose it's possible the other system was used on earlier models.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/daydreamer/Coupe%20TSBs/Suspension%20System/10-SS-00- 2%20TPMS%20%28TIRE%20PRESSURE%20MONITORING%20SYSTEM%29%20GENERAL%20INFORMATION.p- df
    Of course YMMV on FE. But why address this to me when benjaminh started the whole thread with "I got 40 mpg once on my Accord." ? Also we were clear that these were examples, not a general rule with these cars. Just because I can hit 42 mpg once on my Sonata doesn't mean everyone will get that, once or ever.
    FYI, I’m getting this info from several sites; Google can be helpful.
    The display on Hyundai’s telematics system, Assurance Connected Care, now has a simplified user interface, better navigation screens, and probably the best voice recognition found in any vehicle.
    The system is also reputedly more intuitive for frequently used tasks.
    The voice recognition software understands street addresses and cities all in one sentence while simple pop-up messages now appear to help pair a cell phone; previously pairing with most Hyundais could be maddening.
    The route screen also displays speed limits and details the next three maneuvers and one or two button pushes now complete most functions unlike the complex Ford system.
  • gee22gee22 Member Posts: 82
    The nav system on the Mazda6 has been universally panned in every review but it does recognize street addresses and cities in one sentence and does display speed limits so I guess I shouldn't complain.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Your glowing prose regarding Hyundai is always so positive and never addresses any areas where it is bettered by the competition. I find your writing style to be definitive and assuring amongst all the harsh rhetoric that finds its way to many postings. The least I can do is take both my cars to the local dealer and trade them in for a pair of new Sonatas. I suggest the rest of you misinformed doubters do the same.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    You are so lucky to have 2 cars to trade in. I only have one 2013 Fusion Titanium and I'm conflicted about trading it in for an Optima or a Sonata. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert