Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Yes, but 5 years down the road will the Fusion retain it's tight feel? Will it last as long as the Accord? I agree on the interior. The Fusion is more modern, has good use of materials, and is well thought out ergonomically. The Accord's use of alumi-plastic on the HVAC controls is dreadful. That part of the instrument cluster needs a rethink. Fusion has My Ford Touch, and has few actual knobs and buttons, making simple and frequently adjusted functions more time consuming. (Although it has actual buttons on the wheel like any other mid size...).

The Fusion has 240 HP on premium. The Accord V6 has 278, and weighs less. .

The Fusion Titanium is very stylish, the Accord is more upright and retains more sedan and less sporty-stylishness.

It is a hard choice to decide between the two, but I would take the Honda. Personal preference.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Our kids are young. Out of car seats but not fully grown. The back seat is wide and flat, the "hump" is not uncomfortable for a preteen. I plan to take it on some trips that don't require more than a night's luggage.
  • vservser Member Posts: 48
    Yeah. Try to seat a preteen girl on the hump in the fusion or optima and enjoy that whining.

But otherwise if the accords interior was better it might be a home run or at least a triple. That center stack just kills me. Soooo busy.
  • I feel your pain on the preteen seating. I have 3 kids, all girls. 8,11, and 13.

My kids fight for the front seat, since whomsoever gets it also decides on the music. The tuning knob is in a perfect spot for them to scroll through my USB thumb drive collection.

At least neither car has the screen protruding from the dash like an i-pad. It's ironic that it looks cheap, since Mercedes, BMW, and Audi seem to think it looks great. I wouldn't have it unless it retracts.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    These annual property taxes really are a bit of an eye opener for me. Still, after doing some math we still get severely gouged more to buy and own a new car for 3-5 years here compared to most US States, even if we don't get nailed an annual tax on it as being property..Hell just the extra we pay for fuel alone really sends the point home in in-the-end costs.
    I have never considered interior noise levels when buying a car. I end up blaring Iron Maiden anyway.

As quiet as your Optima is, believe me, it's when there is a lot of road noise that even a great stereo still has to be turned up a lot. I too listen to my tunes pretty loud and even with a killer sound system, believe me..it is constantly trying to compete with potential road and wind noise. If you don't believe me, just trying listening to your fav IM at 75 mph on a windy day on float top paved roads (if you even have floattops down there?) and then park the car and shut the engine off. Make sure you have speed/volume compensation turned OFF. Notice how frig loud and clear tho that the stereo is? It seems louder than before and it is because it was trying to overcome all the other interior noice that traveling creates. Gimme a Buick like car interior db level in my economy car anyday..hell...charge me a grand for that package..I'd pay.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    If you change the comparison to a V6 Accord to a I4 Fusion, the Accord is gong to suffer in stop and go conditions.
    I think they both can exceed the highway rating.
    As far as interior controls go, the Fusion has voice commands in addition to the screen, dash buttons(touch points), and steering wheel.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • I was comparing top engine to top engine. Yes, the V6 Accord will suffer in MPG to the Fusion in stop and go. Absolutely.
  • What is a float road? I had a hard time finding the term on Google.

So, I take it is a road built over the permafrost, right? Please explain!

No float roads in VA/DC/MD! It only freezes hard here for maybe 10 days in a row in winter.
    Concrete roads/highways are loud down here and go clomp clomp clomp where the slabs meet. I guess older roads in our Interstate system were made with concrete. When you transfer back to blacktop there is a huge difference in noise level, but again, noise just doesn't bother me.
    Float top roads are paved roads with tar and pebbles, as opposed to tar and chips. Chips...especially when hot-rolled, give a smooth, quiet surface. Some moreso than others tho. With these though, they lay down pebbles on top of a well packed gravel base. Then layer tar/pebbles, more tar..more pebbles and then have a thick layer of pebbles on the surface. When they leave, it looks like a gravel road with pretty uniform layered pebbles. With use over the next week to three depending on use, the top layer of pebbles gets pushed down into the tar. Eventually, this leaves the pebbles peaking the surface which as you can imagine, are real tire shredders. They stick up anywhere from barely breaking the surface, to about 3/8". Many are not round like a pebble would suggest. Most are sharp edged. (People wonder why I use to get only 1000 miles out of my sportbike rubber when I peg-scraped around here). Just amazingly predictable though once all the loose surface stuff gets flown and washed with rain to the ditches. Super challenging when pushing limits on the bike (and car FTM) before that happens though while you commit to the wheel tracks from cars, where the cleanest pavement is. It is an exercise in commitment and discipline like you wouldn't believe until you experience it...but I'm talking high limits and of course you work your way up to that or die trying if you accelerate that process too soon. This crap also is a windshield and paint chipper from oncoming or if you tailgate. I don't. Ever.

Anyway, this stuff is so noisy you simply can't imagine it. Or ignore it..even you I think, cski. You can really tell how negligent a manufacturer is if you are in a medium priced car and the stones are rattling off the (unlined) fender well liners creating a cacophony of noise combined with wind and road roar.

And re those float tops..why do they do it that way?? $$$$....why else?

The worse part is if they cheap out way too much and try to do a too thin job. The first winter comes and the frost just breaks it up into one big pothole which then keeps the local district guys in work, patching. Even before winter comes, if it's too thin, a heavy dump truck turning into a driveway will lift and peel the stuff like peeling a banana. Usually that is where potholes start and then spread out full road length from there.

Ahhh...life in the sticks..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    "Float top roads are paved roads with tar and pebbles, as opposed to tar and chips"

Wow man. How far up in Canada do you live? So, is the float top paved on top of permafrost, or is it just a cheap way of paving and has nothing to do with it?

I think you would enjoy the road system here. Quiet, smooth, modern, and well maintained. Road noise just isn't an issue. Traffic is.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Apparently you haven't driven much in West Virginia, Ohio, or Pennsylvania. :)
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I think this must be one of those times when Americans have quite a sheltered perception of their neighbours to the north. No, there is no permafrost here..and no igloos..lol..I'm only about 5 or 6 hr from the border. Our summer goes from April/May to Sept/Oct...not that much different than yours really. We can get a week or two that are in the 90s during anywhere from June - Aug...usually July tho if it is an extra warm spell. But for permafrost, I think you have to go so far north that there are no roads. We're talking near the North Pole, no? I'm not sure but if there is permafrost, you'd have a 4 day drive to find it. As for float tops, I've driven the big truck on them at times when you get off the interstate throughout the southeastern seaboard of the US. My guess is, you probably do have the odd float top road in rural areas of VA. If not, consider yourself fortunate. Besides being noisy, they cost tire longevity, and of course MPG also, due to the extra rolling resistance.

We also have many roads that are beautifully smooth and quiet and hot-rolled. The difference is, yours last so much longer in that great condition because you guys have so little frost, it barely even counts. In fact...as for road damage, your level of frost is basically a non-issue.

Traffic is really bad anywhere near TO. Up here though, the only time traffic gets congested, is when the city drives north to cottage country on holidays.
    Although, most small towns have street lights now so it can get pretty congested due to poorly time-managed lights. Plus the fact that many small towns were never laid out with expansive enough real estate to anticipate the amount of traffic that a century later it has to contend with. The same can be said for cities too of course. We have our first traffic-circle now...about a year old..and it has been a raving success, even though there were so many nay-sayers it almost didn't get approved for construction. What a fuel, clutch, brake, stress and time saver they are.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2013
    Didn't we determine that I'm further north that you are, Crky? Just got some "champagne" asphalt put down on the road to town here. My last place had old asphalt out front but it was smooth. Then the city chip-sealed it and all the kids complained because it was too rough to skate/blade on. It smashes down after a while but is never "smooth".
    edited November 2013
    Ya..I remember that but I don't remember what was determined..I think cuz I keep forgeting that you're not in AK anymore. Plus, I don't remember where you are? Wisconsin now?

Ya.. chip seal..I think that is another name for what this stuff is. Except that these aren't really chips cuz chips tend to lay down flatter. These really stick up and aren't thin..more pebble-like. I can sure imagine how poor a surface it would be to try to skateboard on. Poor kids.. Sometimes though they will invest in a hot rolled surface on top of the float top. They did that to my road few years ago...3 or so. It is toast already though...they only did about 1" thick. It sure was nice for the first summer though. I was talking with one of the guys about it a few years ago. Apparently a lot of thought goes in to attempting to improve road life. He was telling me that they were experimenting with a new type tar or asphalt that had a more elastic-like content, so that it was more resistant to breakage from frost conditions. I think these roads are a few million per 10 km (6 miles). And they literally are kaput in sometimes only 1 year if they did a really crappy job or 4 years on the very best of jobs. Road building up here, and I mean in GTA too, is very corrupt I think. They 'could' invest in a base that would last 20 years or more if they invested enough material for base, then hot rolled them all. A good example of this was my road. When I moved here, it had the old original hot-rolled pavement that was somewhat broken, but far from being worn out. It was about 25 years old. When they tore it up, it has NEVER been the same since. That was about 25 years ago and they have done at least 7 or 8 roads with this floattop crap since then. I call it 'make work' cuz that is exactly what it is. One hot rolled with a good base could have lasted another 25 years easy, compared to 8 resurfacing since then, and been WAY cheaper in the long run. Another thing they do...when the time comes to tear it up and redo, they ALWAYS wait til Nov! That means that the road gets the constant rain fall saturated, that FREEZES before it it has a chance to drain through that would otherwise help compaction. They are redoing my road as I type...torn all to rat ****, and last night it got down to 5ºF. :( So all the rain we had the last 4 weeks straight will freeze and break up the new surface. All the water from salt and slush is being pressed down into the tar along with the pebbles, so naturally it is not a clean bind to the tar so of course this road won't last either. It's a real scam they pull on the tax payers and there's not much the little guy can do about it but suck it up.

It's why I say road building is corrupt. There is money handed over under desks to make sure that the same old bidders get the job each time, and that the job will be done in such a way that they ensure it won't last.

edit: sorry..I better shut up about roads...I forgot which forum I was in..
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2013
    UP of MI, around 46.5 lat. That's ~3° north of Toronto. Never heard of float top either.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Here in Nova Scotia they rarely use the tar and pebbles any more but do a lot of chip-sealing on secondary roads. It tends to not last very long because of snow plowing in the winter, along with poor surface/base preparation, but for a while it makes the road look and drive better. I find it's quieter than worn-down blacktop.

What you call tar and pebble we used to call tar and gravel, and it was a popular option for side streets in the city here. I remember when I was a kid in the '60s they did it to a street we lived on one summer, and all the kids in the neighborhood came out to watch. Naturally one managed to somehow fall into the tar before the gravel got spread on it, could not have been fun. I remember him being carted away.

As I recall, they had a tanker truck filled with the hot tar compound that had a spray bar across the back that dropped a relatively even layer of the sticky stuff, then a dump body truck full of gravel with the body tilted just enough to let a little gravel fall out would back up into the tar layer, so the gravel would cover the tar before his wheels got to it. Then I think they would roll it, and then sweep the loose gravel off.

Anyway, it was pretty messy even after it was finished. The gutters were full of loose gravel, and if anyone was able to find a stretch where you could generate some speed it threw rocks like nobody's business. I don't think they do much of it any more.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2013
    Most of my fam is from Buffalo. I- 70, 76, 79 and I-90 are like old friends; since I have been driving up there my entire life. The Peace Bridge to Canada is exactly 400 miles from my house in Northern VA. Not far.

I have to admit I have not been to any northern rural areas since, well, forever. I bet that is where this type of road is popular. Right? Places where is snows a lot and the roads get damaged from all the plowing and corrosive stuff to fight slick roads?

It seemed like the Penna tnpk has been under construction since before time was invented, but it leads to a pretty drive through the mountains on I-79. I really want to take the Optima up there.
  • We have something in common, crnky, both of our mayors have smoked crack! Both from very powerful cities; too.

Maybe ours can be your guys sponsor. LMAO.

I saw on the Today Show that Chris Farley's brother said "he would have crushed as Toronto mayor-guy".

Please note I am not being mean......
    Yup, same process here..except that they're still doin' it here :(
    You guys out east must be gettin' spoiled, haha
    Nah...you're alright, Chris..no offense taken..

Ya..they're tearin' him up pretty badly, eh? But he really hasn't handled this very well at all. Shockingly poorly if you compare his mayor skills in terms of money saved and generated for TO. Apparently in those ways, he has performed very well for TO. Problem is..the weakest link gets exploited all to hell..and it is so painfully obvious that poor ol' Rob has absolutely zero social skills when under these kinds of cheap-shots heat. In fact..they are so poor if the cameras are running, he musta popped outta the womb with a social skill deficit.

But the dang media (talking locals here cuz they're the ones that have kept this ball rolling) are absolutely relentless. I swear.. I think if I had been in Ford's shoes a couple of times, I'd have been feeding a camera or two (one of the bigger ones) to them. I think at times he has shown amazing restraint. They completely JAM an exit, THEN get on his case saying he pushes his way through. What the hell?? We would too if people were blocking our way and right up into our personal space! Or at least I would.. no one has the right to hold you hostage/captive unless you are under arrest. I wrote and told them so too, but of course they were too cowardly to reply.

Anyway...it's pretty sad that certain sheltered parts of the world overseas now know about TO's mayor yet wasn't aware of the CN Tower.. :(

Humanity can be like chickens...pecking away at the exploited ones until they are left shredded and bleeding. Anyway..I'll shut up about that too now, haha
  • Marion Barry worked his way back up to being on the DC City Council so maybe Mr. Ford can be redeemed too. In DC, crack was a huge epidemic during the time he got busted, so a lot of his constituency was pretty much like"so what, call employee services and go to rehab".

Oh, and I like Canada a lot. The CN tower was the tallest building in North AMerica for a while. "Strip the City" on Science channel featured Toronto. Pretty cool (and also warm) you can walk around downtown Toronto underground. Also, I asked my wife to marry at Niagara on the lake. There is a dinner theater there that was perfect for the occasion.

Back to cars:

For me, I drive up to all my cousins weddings in Buffalo just for the excuse to do a road trip.

I heard the Hocking Hills area of southern Ohio is the best place to go just for the roads out there. A lot of car magazine's do their road tests there, as it is rural and has no major (or minor) cities within 200 miles. I wouldn't mind getting together with some other enthusiasts for the trip.

Anyway, it is 28 degrees here so I guess that's why I am talking about Canada! Brrr.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    28? Hah! It was 19 for the Minn-GB game, and there were ladies in the stands in bikinis! We scoff at the cold here in the North! :)

Although I have to say that with single digits this morning in the Twin Cities, the seat heater on my wife's Sonata felt pretty darn good. Funny how I took her car this morning when I had to go out early, instead of my Rio. ;)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >I heard the Hocking Hills area of southern Ohio is the best place to go just for the roads out there. A lot of car magazine's do their road tests there, as it is rural and has no major (or minor) cities within 200 miles.

30 miles to Columbus.
    80 miles to Cincinnati.
    Not quite 200.

But I haven't seen the roads there so I don't know if they're windy, curvy, straight, scenic, etc..

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• You know about a woman's scorn, right? LOL. She will get you back for doing that, usually when you least suspect it, such as having her mother visit during the Superbowl!

Well, it was 21 degrees this morning. That is serious cold for this time of the year.

How did the Sonata run this morning? I don't like the way my 2.4 sounds when I first start it. I was told it is the high pressure DI system, but it sure sounds like something is clanking when it shouldn't.
  • "But I haven't seen the roads there so I don't know if they're windy, curvy, straight, scenic, etc"

I think the roads there are all of the above.

I was wrong on the distances to major cities from Hocking Hills. I think I was thinking of a piece they did on the new Jaguar F-Sport in the Mud River Valley of West Virginia, where the printed this little map that had no cities on it.
    edited November 2013
    I took my Rio this morning as it was about 30 and I didn't know if my wife needed her car. And it was gone when I got home. So I assume it started fine. I never hear anything "clanking" on it even in cold weather. Must be that 2 extra horses Kia put into the 2.4L messing it up. ;)

I'm very sure my MIL will not be visiting us during the Super Bowl. She died in 1994, at much too young an age. She was a sweet lady, and was very good to me although I'm a "Yankee".
  • I don't consider myself Northern or Southern.

I vacation down in NC (Oak Island/Southport/Cape Fear). They consider us Northern. In Buffalo, they think I sound like a southerner. They made me say "roof" over and over again. I made them say sentences with lots of "R"s.

Maybe this is why someone invented the term "Mid Atlantic". lol.
  • Hey, is part of the reason the float roads have material poking out of it with sharp edges due to the need for traction?

I was interested enough to talk to my cousin in Niagara Falls, and he said lots of roads are paved that way where they go skiing, and it is not only cheap but works like a studded tire in reverse. Said it is good for traction.

He also said that he uses winter tires on his A6 and they get worn really quick out in the mountains but roads in town and the suburbs use regular pavement because it is smoother and easier for the plows to scrape repeatedly w/o damage.
    Yes, that is quite true, they do offer a lot more traction..of course that can mean too that idiots just end up deeper in the woods cuz of the higher speeds they do thinking they have more traction than what is there when they do lose it.. lol

I just put the snows on today...I leave it as late as I can till I have assured wet and cold roads. And I take 'em off early...last year I think I had them off near the end of Feb.

I just shake my head when I see (sometimes really high performance nice cars) with snows still on in the Walmart parking lot on the hottest day in July.

Last week I swear I heard a car that had studs on...I thought they were outlawed about 30 years ago due to excessive road damage. Had ON plates. I think some northern provinces might allow studs still..like NWT maybe? Maybe Quebec too come to think of it?

Again though, if people would just get the winter rubber off come Mar or APril at the latest, studs were such a live saver. Literally..Sure helps out on two-lanes with an opposing slipping into your lane to headon ya..
    The roads, when cold still, would stand up to the studs much better.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    I think they allow studs in Northern Ontario.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

I'll bet you're right on that..and this van was just down here visiting I bet..
    I hope you didn't take your car to one of those quick oil change places, last time.
    If you did, you better go to the KIA dealer over the weekend and get some factory approved oil put in there.
    Don't say anything about any noise and remove any sticker the last place might have put on your windshield.
  • carfanatic14carfanatic14 Member Posts: 2
    Currently, I own a 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV with about 18,000 miles on it. No convenience package,base model. Also, I have 0% financing for 60 months.
    I am getting a deal for a new 2014 Chevy Malibu 1LT with convenience package.
    I have been offered the Chevy Malibu 1LT for $23,000 out the door. Financing is 1.99% for 60 months.
    They are giving me $18,000 for the Altima.

Is this a good deal or should I stick with the Altima I have.

Any feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    edited November 2013
    Use the Edmunds TMV calculator. For outstanding condition, you might be able to get a few hundred more for the trade. With current incentives, the TMV for a 1LT with convenience and no other options is about $21,400. $23K out the door seems reasonable.

Just curious, why do you want a new car? Most think the Altima is a better vehicle, and you've already made payments and aren't paying any interest. If you love the Malibu, make yourself happy. But I can't see starting over on car payments to move from a 2013 Altima to a 2014 Malibu, especially with that 2.5 everyone rags on...
    enjoyed reading this link to a C&D comparison of mid size sedans from 1983.
    How fun! Although it's more accurately a review of upscale midsized sedans, not the more pedestrian sedans like the Camry, Malibu, LTD (Fox platform LTD, not the big one), Reliant/Aries etc.

I remember the 6000 as being quite a nice car for its time, the best of all the GM front-drivers back then. And I always loved the looks of the Audi. It hasn't changed all that much outside in 30 years, has it?
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited November 2013
    from auto news:

Ford to idle Fusion plant in Michigan extra week in Dec. to curb supplies

Nick Bunkley Twitter RSS feed
    Automotive News
    November 26, 2013 - 4:58 pm ET
    DETROIT -- Just three months after Ford Motor Co. started production of the Fusion mid-sized sedan at a second North American plant to keep up with demand, it already has more supplies of the car than it needs.

A Ford spokeswoman confirmed today in an e-mail that the company has scheduled "approximately" one extra week off in December at its Flat Rock, Mich., plant "as we continue to match production with demand...."

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131126/OEM01/131129882/ford-to-idle-fusion-pla- nt-in-michigan-extra-week-in-dec-to-curb#axzz2lrBIklD7
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Frankly I would go look at the Accord Sport for $23,500 before I signed anything.

Seriously. Go over to Honda. It is a great car. You will love it.

Also, for that money you could go Kia Optima EX or Mazda 6 Sport. The Mazda and the Honda are better cars, and will hold their value better than the Malibu.
  • carfanatic14carfanatic14 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback and opinions.

I spoke to the dealership yesterday and they said they might be able to do
    $22,000 out the door on the Malibu 1LT.

As for the Altima I own, I might be able to get another $500 to $1000.

So at best I can get the Malibu 1LT for $22,000 out the door and $19,000 for the Altima 2.5SV and 1.99%.

As much as I enjoyed test driving the Malibu 1LT I am on the fence if I should do this. I do have 0% financing on the Altima, but the Malibu would be 1.99%.

Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Unless the Malibu really rings your chimes versus the Altima, it isn't worth it. Too similar. Check out the compact SUV vehicles -any brand- if that works then you have something very different.
  • I have free oil changes for life at the dealer. I would never use cheap oil change place, although the techs at Kia give me little comfort. (I check the oil before I even leave the dealer to make sure of:

A) the tech replaced the dipstick

B) There is oil in the car

C) The oil is clean

When I get home I check to see if there is still oil in the car (had a tech cross-tread a filter once on my Saturn and all my oil leaked out).

I started a topic on the Optima board about the Optima 2.4 GDI cold start rattle, and it is normal. "Welcome to life with a direct injection 4 cylinder" is the answer i got from all 23 replies. Also, the noise I was concerned about at startup is just an engine with all it's oil in the pan, and it has solid lifters. It goes away completely in like 5 seconds. Also normal.
  • Thanks man. I didn't know they had all the old issues online. Funny how now and back then, the Audi was in first place.

Also funny the 5000s, and the Saab900 turbo were considered mid size sedans, and not luxury cars.

Great, it is raining ice outside. Just what I-95 needs on the day before thanks giving!
  • Yes the Pontiac 6000 STE won 1st place in several CD reviews. I remember it being on the cover of a mid to late 1980's issue, with it's wheels off the ground going over a hill.

I also remember being quite fond of the 1990 Chevy Beretta GT (3.1)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    My 1st car was a 1992 Beretta GT

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• My first car (that I financed myself) was an 87 Chevy Z24. Digi-dash, sunroof, wing, 5 speed, hood scoops. Red. 2.8 liter MFI. Purchased in 1990.
    That's pretty much good news. Keep your receipts, just in case.
    Don't reply on the dealer's records if you need documentation.
    Don't rely on the dealer's records if you need documentation.

Good advice. I know it sounds a bit paranoid, but in past I have known situations where they (a dealer and their apparent lack of being able to supply mysteriously missing records) lacked the good moral character to own up to an issue.
    edited November 2013
    on mid-sized sedans based on ads in my local paper today. Examples are:

* New 2013 Sonata GLS with PP for $18k.
    * New 2014 Camry L for $18k... and a 36 month lease on an LE for $145/month with about $2000 up front--interestingly, the same offer as on a 2014 Corolla LE!
    * New 2014 Passat S for $189/mo. lease, sign-and-drive, 36 months (doesn't have the new 1.8T of course, but a nice car for $189/month).

No-shows on the Black Friday ads included Mazda6 (no ads at all), and Honda with a virtual no-show in that all the local dealers did is republish the usual national lease rates--local Honda dealers NEVER have ads with anything other than lease deals for some reason. I've seen purchase prices in ads in other cities so maybe it's just a Twin Cities Honda dealer collusion thing. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, and happy Black Friday car shopping for those venturing out tomorrow! I leased a Sonata last Black Friday, and got two other cars this year (one used, one new on a lease) so I'm set at least until the Sonata lease is up in a couple of years. I can sleep in tomorrow. :)
  • A couple of posts back I was advised to keep service records, which I do. I keep paper copies in my safe.

I also have access to all my service visits online and can make appointments online as well. All very nice. Where Kia fails to meet expectations is at the service counter, and in the shop. Hopefully these area's will improve greatly in a short period of time, just like their products have.