Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Looks like really cheap hard gray plastics to me..... Not attractive at all.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Gated shifter is just my own preference. I feel it's a easier way to shift because one doesn't have to first press a button then move the shifter. That's a 2-step process versus gated shifter's one. On top of that I think it looks better.

Agree. When I bought my mazda6 I did not think much of it...I could take it or leave it. Then I realized there was no button, so now I prefer the gated style...not that the lack of one would be a deal-breaker.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    As opposed to expensive soft plastic?

Any other objective comments?
    I actually care about the "look" more than the "feel" I know cheap when I see it, and I know good quality when I see it.

I do spend time "feeling and touching" all of the interior materials when I'm shopping and checking out a new car, but the look matters most. I just don't like the 1995 Dodge Neon Interior plastic look of the Ford picture you provided. (note the designs are different but it looks like the same plastic material).
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "By the way, what is the importance of AWD in an underpowered Fusion? AWD just weighs it down making it turn into a tank and gas hog."

The Fusion seems to be a good Ford car from what I have read, but the comment from the owner who has one that gets less than 16 mpg in the city is pretty disappointing in my book. I don't think I could live with a car that got that low of mileage.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    I do spend time "feeling and touching" all of the interior materials when I'm shopping and checking out a new car

andre3, I wonder why you and I both prefer Honda's interior... :P That's exactly the way I shop for a car or checking out one at the carshow.

I just don't think it's fair that someone like us being criticized for having higher standard about the interior than the average buyers.
    If you think that looks like a Neon interior you need to have your eyes checked or get a new monitor. That looks more like an expensive Audi interior than a Ford interior.

I guess if it had a H on the steering wheel it would be perfect.
  • urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    but the comment from the owner who has one that gets less than 16 mpg in the city is pretty disappointing in my book. I don't think I could live with a car that got that low of mileage.

I might be the owner you are thinking of Poncho167, and our 2007 SEL AWD V6 Fusion only gets 14.8 in all-city driving. The revised EPA estimate for this power train is only 17 mpg city and 24 highway.

Since 95 percent of our driving is in-city, we should have bought an I4, manual or automatic. We don't "need" the all-wheel drive either but it sure does improve the handling.
    The Fusion seems to be a good Ford car from what I have read, but the comment from the owner who has one that gets less than 16 mpg in the city is pretty disappointing in my book. I don't think I could live with a car that got that low of mileage.

"City" mileage will vary a lot. This is because the type of driving that is called "city" varies a lot. For example CR routinely measures well below the EPA numbers because they do a very severe city driving test. CR typically measures about 13-15 mpg city, for these midsize sedans with V6.

EPA test of AWD Fusion is now at 17 mpg. Without AWD the V6 is at 18 mpg, which is exactly the same as the Accord. The Fusion AWD costs you about 1 mpg city and 2 highway, I think this is a pretty typical AWD penalty.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    More Flex interior pics from that site

Can't find any without the wood. I can't say I like any of the wood either. Although the light colored wood in my dad's Zephyr is quite fetching. I much prefer the aluminum (yes it's real) in my Mustang or the shiny black carbon fiber treatment in our Explorer. But then again, both have the radio "brick" that no one likes.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    That might actually be real wood instead of plood - hard to tell. I'm sure if it's offered on the Fusion there will be alternatives just like today with the piano black and carbon fiber.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I would like the CF trim more than the wood, or a flat aluminum look maybe. I don't think there is anything about that dash that looks cheap though. Although this particular configuration doesn't appeal to me, I like how Ford continues to reinvent the corporate instrument cluster to tailor it for each vehicle where they use it.
    I have to say I don't give a rats tushie about the shifter being gated or not. Either its a manual trans with a clutch pedal or its not, and if its not, then I'm not interested anyway.
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    apparently i am not one of the enlightened ones, because i don't see what's so special about honda interiors. my inlaws have a civic hybrid and a new CRV, and neither of them impress me too much. I personally find the infiniti G35's new interior to be absolutely beautiful (but that's not a car for this topic...oops!)

while the styling of the ford flex interior is not my cup of tea, i find it rather ignorant to be criticizing the interior to be full of cheap plastics when you really can't tell from one photo.

i can see why honda is so popular, but it gets kind of annoying when fans of a certain type of vehicle seem to think they are something special because they can see "high quality" that apparently average consumers cant.

bottom line - to each their own.

my two cents, as always...

-thene :sick:
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "What would you guys think if the 09 Fusion interior looked like this (with ambient lighting)?"

I never used to care for wood trim (imatation or not) years ago, but now I see it on many cars and sort of like it.

The Ford oval is not to appealing anymore, or ever was, sorry to say. I have heard that younger buyers are not to thrilled with it either.

I could do without the cup holders, I don't believe food or drinks belong in a car.
    EPA test of AWD Fusion is now at 17 mpg. Without AWD the V6 is at 18 mpg, which is exactly the same as the Accord. The Fusion AWD costs you about 1 mpg city and 2 highway, I think this is a pretty typical AWD penalty.

Good post Jeffy. In retrospect, we should have bought an SEL I4 Fusion but this $27,105 MSRP baby was on the lot, in stock and had everything that we wanted on it.

The difference between 14.8 mpg and 17 mpg is about $252 a year, based on 10,000 miles driven, our average, with gasoline at $3 a gallon.

With the exception of the poor gasoline mileage, our Fusion is an exceptionally fine mid-size sedan. We enjoy it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    excellent report, thanks for that. That made for interesting reading because along with the Optima rental you also included some Fusion news in there, having driven both of them within a short span of time. Excellent.

I'm not surprised by your report on each rig's engines and their sounds at idle. The Optima's engine must have some sound similarities to my Sportage 4X4's. There were times sitting in the Sportage at idle that I truly did not know if my motor was running or not, it purred so quietly.

Do report more review news on driving the Fusion, indeed, OK?

I think this comment from targettuning sums some things up nicely.

"Since I have only had the Fusion a day or so I will form other opinions I am sure and I'll let you know. But for now here is one. The Optima is a car where I was sure I was doing about 70 mph only to find I was doing 80 whereas the Fusion is one where I was sure I was doing about 70 mph only to find I was doing 60."

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    Well, then I have to say that I don't give a rats tushie about transmission being manual or not. Either it's a great interior with/without a clutch pedal or its not. And if its not then I'm not interested anyway.

Different stroke for different people...
    I didn't say it had cheap plastic, I said it appeared in the picture to have cheap plastic, there is a difference.

Obviously you can't touch and feel the plastic in a photograph. The photos more recently posted look like graphics and computer generated images moreso than photos, and make the interior look much better. I don't like light grey plastics, lighter gray tends to look cheaper in my eyes.

The main thing that comes to mind now is, who at Ford let Volvo design the interior. :P That interior is VERY VOLVO, Volvoish, Volvoesque! ;)

Volvo's have decent to good interiors, nothing wrong with that, but seems to be a copy of it.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Yes...to a small town north of Cinci. called Fairfield. All turnpike/interstate (Pa Turnpike to I-70 to I-71 and a short drive on what? I-215 maybe or I-245..I forget that one. But I-70 through Pa into Wheeling WV during a week day afternoon can be slow..ish considering on and off local traffic and the speed limit (posted 55mph) which I resolutely ignored as much as possible. Not so on the Saturday return when the road was vacant and I kept up the 75 mph pace..."damn the torpedos, full speed ahead"!!
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    The main thing that comes to mind now is, who at Ford let Volvo design the interior. That interior is VERY VOLVO, Volvoish, Volvoesque!

You hit the nail on the head with that one! Just look at the new S80 and XC70 and you'll see the same interior with a few minor differences.

Compared to current Ford themes like the radio brick and plain buttons and knobs I'd say the Volvo look is a very good thing.
    It seems like the conversation is about the Fusion, the Accord, and the Aura these days and the Camry, Altima, and the other entries are kind of peripheral to the discussion.

I guess its a good sign for Ford and GM they are getting talked about so much.
    I have seen you own a V-6 Fusion and wish you had bought the 4 cylinder version? Well, since I know you have read my observations "Optima vs. Fusion" which are both 4 cylinders I would tell you that if you want a quiet peaceful start from rest at each stop light/stop sign do not wish for that 4cyl. Fusion. While I suppose the induction noise and exhaust snarl are deliberate (they would almost have to be) they are very noticeable and get old fast and I've only had this car two days. By contrast, and as noted in my report, the Hyundai/Kia 4 cylinder is MUCH quieter both at idle and especially on acceleration light and heavy (the Kia makes some induction noise at heavy acceleration) where the Ford sounds like a 70's muscle car with no air cleaner. Well, slightly overstated... but still!!!
  • thenebeanthenebean Member Posts: 1,124
    well there's no altima discussion because all the owners are out enjoying their new rides! when you have an awesome car like that, who wants to spend time talking about it when you could be DRIVING it! ;)

(i don't really know why there's no altima talk - i do see a ton of them here in central CT)

-thene :P
    Aside from my Optima verses Fusion comparison I OWN a 2006 Honda Civic, not in this class I know, but for general comments on Honda interiors and their quality here are mine:
    1. plastics on door interior panels scratch with a "mean look". Ours is criss crossed with fingernail scrapes and scratches gotten (sp?) while groping for the door pull which is unfortunately surrounded with the most fragile "waffle" pattern plastic you could imagine.
    2. Our car has 9K miles and the driver seat bolster has the pattern on the cloth fabric wearing off...going-going-soon to be gone in a 3 X 2 inch patch where our "butts" contact it on entry and exit.
    High quality? nope,don't think so. Our 1995 Stratus seat fabric is not worn @ 187K miles..but it does have a cigarette ash melt mark.
    Yes and what does it say about the Chysler Sebring (and Dodge ?) that it does not even make the list of models that are supposed to be the subject here?
    I was wondering if someone was going to mention that.
    Yes, but your Status' tranny bit the dust at 187K miles, complete failure.

I'll bet you $1,000 your Honda's tranny lasts longer then that, with regular care and maintenance.
    You should feel and touch an Audi's interior sometime soon, it is a pleasure to be in that car w/o even driving it, which is the best part when you get to it.

Whoever compared the Ford's interior to Audi's just insulted Audi tremendously. Even Volvo's don't quite stand up to Audi's interior, I found Volvo's nice but too "minimalist" in design.
    Yes, but your Status' tranny bit the dust at 187K miles, complete failure.

I'll bet you $1,000 your Honda's tranny lasts longer then that, with regular care and maintenance.

Actually, not so much. Over in the 90-93 Accord repair forums, one of the failures is a "flashing S" which requires a new TCU, and there were a few transmission rebuilds. I don't see this as a negative, of of these cars are on their 2nd or 3rd life, but no different than the Stratus.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Yes and what does it say about the Chysler Sebring (and Dodge ?) that it does not even make the list of models that are supposed to be the subject here

I believe the Sebring's sales are 70% fleet/rental, which kinda means Chrysler's folding this hand.
    Chrysler even admitted it missed the mark with the Sebring and misjudged the competition and that it would be doing a total redesign asap.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ...it does not even make the list of models that are supposed to be the subject here?

There are a lot of vehicles in this category that aren't listed at the top. There is only room to list nine.

As far as I'm concerned, any vehicle in this class is on topic here.
  • ilikecars23ilikecars23 Member Posts: 28
    What would you guys think if the 09 Fusion interior looked like this (with ambient lighting)?

I feel this interior layout works great for a vehicle such as the Flex, it has a sort of "mature elegance" to it. Fit and finish looks awsome and i like the substantial looking front seats and ice blue gauges. Im hoping the 09 fusion takes a different design direction, while utilizing some of the Flex's theme. Give it a more modern, edgy, and high tech apearance to match it's exterior.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The only car from this segment, and the least expensive car on the list. Family Trip picks. :Dhttp://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4024867&topart=passenger
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If your family's vacation plans this year include a road trip or two, it may be time to consider a new vehicle with the latest safety features such as curtain air bags and stability control.

Yet the Accord doesn't have stability control unless you get the V6. Maybe the article should have mentioned that. Oops.
    Impressive. Very good company.
    Yet the Accord doesn't have stability control unless you get the V6.

The point is, it was the only car in this segment good enough to make the top 10. Also the only one on the list under $30k.
    I think the Avalon, Odyssey, and Sienna all can be had for under $30k. And the CTS lists for more than $30k but goes out the door starting in the upper 20s, in my town anyway.

If I were going on a road trip, I'd take a roomier, less expensive sedan with more standard safety equipment and a smoother ride, e.g. Sonata, before the Accord. Or a minivan like the Odyssey or Sienna if I had more than 4-5 people. If I were renting a car for a road trip, the Accord would be far down my list--cars like the Avalon, Azera, and Lucerne are all more capable highway cruisers IMO.
    Avalon, Odyssey, and Sienna all can be had for under $30k.

I don't think the models they were referring to were under $30k (Odyssey EX, for example).

If I were going on a road trip, I'd take a roomier, less expensive sedan with more standard safety equipment and a smoother ride, e.g. Sonata, before the Accord.

The (buoyant) ride of the Sonata would probably make me sea-sick after a while.

Or a minivan like the Odyssey or Sienna if I had more than 4-5 people.

Duh, I guess so.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    Yet the Accord doesn't have stability control unless you get the V6.

The point is, it was the only car in this segment good enough to make the top 10. Also the only one on the list under $30k.

But the mazda6 is the only car in this segment to get the Editor's Most Wanted Under $25K by Edmunds whose editors seem to know quite a bit more about cars than the writers at consumer reports who have to test pop tarts and laundry detergent and then test cars when they have some spare time. I also think the editors and writers of Edmunds will tend to be more likely to enjoy driving and would be impressed by cars that are both comfortable when you want it, and engaging when the mood and opportunity arises which is why they chose the mazda6 over all the other cars in this segment. And the fact that it outbrakes the Accord by an average of over 10 feet according to major car mags is just a added bonus when it comes to safety. Of course it's nice to get all these things while saving an extra few thousand dollars too...
    Have you taken the Sonata on a road trip? What did you think? I've had it on several road trips and found the ride very pleasant.

Actually, both the Avalon and Odyssey EX start under $30k MSRP. The Sienna XLE is just over $30k but under $30k after deducting the available-to-everyone $1500 rebate. The Accord EX V6 lists at $28k so there isn't much difference between all those choices, including the CTS. Some on the list were a lot more than $30k of course. Who wouldn't want to take an A6 or 5 Series or Infiniti M on a road trip?? Earth to CR: how about a reality check for people who don't have $40k, or even nearly $30k, to spend on a car for the family vacation?
    Earth to CR: how about a reality check for people who don't have $40k, or even nearly $30k, to spend on a car for the family vacation?

That is the top 10. You can get a V6 EX Accord for $25k easy. Not so, for the other 9. If you can't swing $25k for the V6 Accord, you will have to settle for something in the top 15-20. :cry:
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I just don't think it's fair that someone like us being criticized for having higher standard about the interior than the average buyers.

Please define what you mean about it not being "fair." How is your standard higher than others? All these mid-size cars have different interiors and just like exteriors, beauty is subjective. They're all good, it's just a matter of preference.

I'm sorry to be a bit off topic but it irks me to see people continually saying "that's not fair".
    andres3 writes: I didn't say it had cheap plastic, I said it appeared in the picture to have cheap plastic, there is a difference.

and it all depends on what your definition of "is" is :P

sounds like you're splitting hairs there buddy, the differences in your comments are minimal. it's hard to look at pictures to get a real good feel for things, particularly the quality of materials. pictures are good at giving an idea of design and flow, but lighting can be manipulated so things are highlighted that really aren't in real life. ain't nothing like the real thing...

but all in all, add me to the list of people who think that the Accord has one of the nices interiors in this class. I did get a chance to sit in the Aura though, and I was very impressed. in fact I'd say that it would come a pretty close second...never thought I'd say that about a Saturn!

personally, I'm glad the gap between the all too common camcords and the rest of the pack is closing... more competition will bring the best out to all our benefit. the trick will be getting consumers to have an open mind when considering more than the usual suspects.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Here we go. This CR report can lead into a whole new discussion about the objectivity of CR. (I quit reading CR 30 years ago because of what I felt was a big bias against certain manufacturers, so I can only go by what others say today about CR.)

I've driven my '05 Sonata over 1300 miles from south Florida to CT in two days (just me in the car). It was comfortable and certainly not "floaty." Drove it 40 miles each way to a golf course yesterday with 2 other guys, and our golf bags and other golf equipment in the trunk. Again, it drove and rode beautifully. My brother has an '07 Sonata and has taken a few round-trips of 300 to 400 miles. With 3 adults in the car and a few hundred pounds of stuff in the trunk (he's a serious amateur astronomer), he raves about the ride and handling after every trip.
    I'd have to agree the Sonata is not "floaty" by any stretch. Compared to say an Impala I had to suffer with, it has a much more advanced suspension in that it's supple and firm. It handled the small to medium large bumps really well; composed and you felt a bump only once. On bigger bumps, I felt like there was more an "event", moreso than in my 6 which was surprising since the mazda's ride is more firm. Maybe it was just I felt more of the bump through the steering rack, but on large bumps I definately felt more in the Sonata. And in cornering the Sonata had quite a bit more body lean than my Mazda, but then again, everything else in this class does. Compared to the Legacy, Accord and Altima (last gen), I think the
    Sonata had a bit more body lean, but still I had more confidence in corners than the Altima which just felt top-heavy and bloated to me. Really, the Accord and Sonata are about equal in terms of feel with the edge for taughtness and balance going to the Accord by a small margin.
    Yeah, odds are I won't have it that long but if I did and didn't have the seats addressed I'd be driving on a seat with springs only...no fabric seat cover!!! And, as others have stated you are speculating about 180K miles into this cars future. Additionally, the 5 speed automatic transmission (for Civics) was introduced in the 2006 Civic and if it is as "good" as the overall car for 2006 I'd say it won't. Need I say I am not in love with Honda after this experience...."my first" Honda.
    P.S. the Stratus transmission has an internal failure that placed it into "2nd gear limp home mode" but still has 2nd and reverse so not a totally destroyed transmission but one with "issues" as is P.C. these days ;)
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    Consumer Reports has to justify their ratings, which are comprised of various acceptable and unacceptable and legitimate and illegitimate criteria. Argue all you want about what car is best, which tends to be a blend of subjective and specification issues. What is good for one is not good for all.
    But! I have rented several different mid-size models and I have extended family members that own an Accord, Sonata and Camry. Having rented a Grand Prix, Altima, Optima and 6 that pretty much covers the ball-game with the exception of the very competent Fusion and Aura.
    I was impressed with the powertrain and competent handling of the Sonata. Listen, I need a car not a (NAS)car or (Formula 1)car. I do want something that gives me bang-for-the-buck more than I need a badge that some need to escalate their image because their self-image is based on material possession and peoples perception of them. All of these vehicles had appeal.

Dads Accord: 70,000 miles. Issues: one electrical issue
    Mom's Sonata: 40,000 miles. Issues: nil
    Bro's Camry: 50,000 miles Issues: nil

There wasn't one rental I didn't like. The Altima and Grand Prix were the best handling cars with the Grand Prix being the winner but having poor fuel mileage in the 2.5.

The best all-round car I have rented in this class was the Altima. It was just a good handling, good riding and enjoyable car. Would I buy it, no! Why: I'm not convinced of parent company Renault and Father Ghosn's approach to quality. It has gone down since I owned 2nd and 3rd Gen. Maximas

If I were buying a mid-size car, I would buy the Hyundai Sonata Limited. I had a an 07 Limited last week with gorgeous black leather interior and loaded. I was told I could buy one for $21-22k with rebates and discounts. Go drive anything out there for $21k and you wont get anything like Hyundai offers in the Sonata. See for yourself.
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    I meant Altima with 2.5 in my previous post. The Grand Prix engine and great handling was impressive. That car had appeal and balls. Not a family car tho with that back seat and high windows. My kids would complain they couldn't see out.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    While CR might not hold a lot of weight for you or me, it provides much useful input for a lot of people. The fact that Accord sales are through the roof and it consisently gets rated very highly in spite of it's flaws, ie, expensive, no stability control, overrated, bad brakes etc. shows the general public does not have the same views as edmunds board hounds. It's shows Honda has done it's homework in this segment and gives the public what it wants and people will pay the price.