Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    "good bit cheaper to buy"

That is exactly my point. If it wasn't cheaper to buy it wouldn't be doing nearly as well, because of it's shortcomings.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Why can't we just be not so particular, or fussy about who, how, or what is said?
  • Options
    captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    It's had a $500 rebate since day one even when supplies were short so I have to believe Ford simply built that into the pricing because some domestic buyers just won't buy without some type of rebate.
    a condition that the 'American' manufacturers have 'taught' the American carbuyer - if they are going to shop those brands, they EXPECT larger rebates (and other incentives) as you say - something that Buick, for example, specializes in - overpricing a car with those 'built-in' rebates. The Camcord shopper, OTH, is doing well to get close to invoice (except possibly on EOY model changes). And then we wonder why those 'Detroit' brands don't hold their resale values that well, so much so that even the steep discounts can't make them cheaper to own than those Camcords they 'compete' with. And part of the reason why Ford/GM/Chrysler are losing money faster than it can be printed? Wouldn't it be nice for those same mfgrs. if they made a car that was good enough and/or in demand (the two kinda go together) enough that MSRP and invoice meant something?
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Small rebates ($1K or less) don't really hurt, especially if they're consistent. What hurts is adding $2K-$3K in rebates later. That reduces the resale values across the board and that is what has happened in the past. It will take years to get the buying public off the rebate wagon. Interestingly Honda and Toyota are increasing rebates on some models (Odyssey and Tundra, not Camcords) and given the reliability records of the 06/07 models so far it sounds like the tables may be slowly turning.
  • Options
    Why can't we just refrain from saying things that are misleading or incorrect or stating opinions as facts?
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    The Camcord shopper, OTH, is doing well to get close to invoice (except possibly on EOY model changes). And then we wonder why those 'Detroit' brands don't hold their resale values that well, so much so that even the steep discounts can't make them cheaper to own than those Camcords they 'compete' with. And part of the reason why Ford/GM/Chrysler are losing money faster than it can be printed? Wouldn't it be nice for those same mfgrs. if they made a car that was good enough and/or in demand (the two kinda go together) enough that MSRP and invoice meant something?

Actually my fleet safety weekly email had a blurb about how the costs in the rental car industry are skyrocketing because there is no longer the dumping vehicles to fleet sales there has been in the past. Other than a cost increase for rentals, I don't see this adversely affecting the overall market so much.
    They also had a blurb about how GM and Ford residuals percentages increased by double digits in the last year, crediting the Fulan/Edge.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Good post - congrats! Let us know how delivery goes.
  • Options
    benderofbowsbenderofbows Member Posts: 542
    Congratulations! Awesome choice with the 6-speed.

I didn't even look at these when I bought my Accord in February, because I knew I'd want one! The Accord was also on my short list and since they were all marked $300 under invoice at the local dealer, and the Altimas were brand new and selling for MSRP, the deal made the final choice for me.

RE: the Milan... you stated: "The 5-speed is pretty smooth to operate, but the car should either have a 6th gear or the gearing revised, because it revs higher than the 2.5S 6-speed at highway velocities, and I'm sure it affects both the NVH and fuel economy."

When I drove the Fusion 5-speed I never got to highway speeds, what RPM was it running?

At 80 MPH my Accord is spinning 3,000. I't doesn't bother me because NVH isn't an issue, and my old 626 V6 used to spin 4,000 at the same speed (7k redline).

What RPM does the Nissan 2.5 6-speed turn in 6th?
  • Options
    mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    When I drove the Fusion 5-speed I never got to highway speeds, what RPM was it running?

Crap, you had to ask me that... :)

I don't remember exactly (since my wife was driving at the time), but IIRC, I THINK it was 3500 RPM at 75 MPH (give or take).

What RPM does the Nissan 2.5 6-speed turn in 6th?

I don't recall this one, but it was quieter than the Milan (in terms of engine noise) at speed. Between that, the 35 MPG rating for highway (compared to 31 for the Milan), and the extra cog, I'll assume that it's lower than the Milan. I could be wrong, but I'll find out for sure when I get the car.
  • Options
    mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    and why I guy like me is just not going to want to buy one at this point, is long term reliability. When you've owned GM cars for a while, you start to learn that at first, everything seems great. At the time, my Intrigue was sort of the equivalent of what the Aura is today. It beat Camry in a CD comparo back in the day. It was Detroit's great hope. But what gradually drove people away was long term reliability. After a couple of years, things just starting going wrong. And wrong. And wrong. And so on. And now the same thing has started happening to our '04 Malibu Maxx. And the same thing happened to my wife's '00 Alero a few years ago.

Is the '08 Aura a better car than those were? Well, generationally speaking, I don't know that you can say that. Its hardly groundbreaking considering its competition. But sure, its appealing. At this point, though, I want PROOF that it will hold up for a good 7-8 years. And obviously we won't get that proof for a while.
    So I'd really hesitate to buy it.
  • Options
    urnewsurnews Member Posts: 668
    I want PROOF that it will hold up for a good 7-8 years. And obviously we won't get that proof for a while.
    So I'd really hesitate to buy it.

There's no way any mid-size car manufacturer can meet that standard, since the 2007 or 2008 or 2009 model is going to be considerably different than a 2000, 2001 or 2002 model.

Assuming the Honda Accord to be the best 2000, there is no guarantee that the much-altered 2007 will equal its reliability, endurance, etc. because so many changes will have been made in the interim.

Cars are like stocks: Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Buying any new mid-size is a crap shoot. Some makes and models are going to be better than others, no matter what.

The 2007 Aura might be the best mid-size sedan GM has ever built and it may be trouble-free into 2014 but that doesn't necessarily mean that the 2014 model will fare as well.
  • Options
    I don't agree, and neither does Consumer Reports (I know! I uttered the dreaded CR!)

If a manufactuer--say, Honda--consistenly builds reliable cars, every year, than there is a much, much greater chance--both statistically and rhetorically--that they will continue to do so. CR is generally willing to give reliability recommendations on new models when the previous model performed very well for the life of the car for that reason, and past performance is a very reliable indicator of (no pun intended) reliability.

And really, this goes beyond mid-size cars. General Motors, for instance, has consistent long term reliability issues across all models--many of them are shared-component problems (ie, brakes). That could well change, but it will be a while before we know. It doesn't take 7-8 years (though I did mention that), I think we'll probably have a good idea in 3-4 or so. But what I speak of is an overall problem. According to many CSR's at GM dealers I've spoken with (and, unfortunately, I've gotten to know them very well), the problems we've experienced with our Malibu also show up on G6, Trailblazer, the minivans, etc. They're more systematic than anything else.

The other issue which I didn't bring up is how a manufacturer treats these issues when they do come up. GM's got a ways to do here, also.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    One thing with Honda is they excel at everything they build. Be it cars, motorcycles, marine engines, lawn equipment, jet skis, etc.

Several of Honda's outboard marine engines use basically what is in their cars. THe civic 4cyl is used in Honda's medium HP outboards and the Odyssey 3.5L v6 is the basis for the 225hp Honda outboard. If an engine can hold up to marine use and can pretty much withstand anything. Honda is always one of the tops in reliability in the marine category too. Amazingly, a HOnda 225hp outboard engine costs more than a whole civic.
  • Options
    Didn't something similiar happen with the Saturn L-series? Winning awards, receiving praise in road tests, etc... until the problems started surfacing. I think it took a couple of years before the major ones came out.

Of course, as mentioned above, this is no gaurantee of how the Aura or any other GM built today will fare into the future. But past performance is really all we have to go by as far as estimating long-term reliability. How well can we estimate that? Probably not too well.

An interesting note: during my short stint as a car salesman, I sold a Mustang GT automatic to a middle-aged man who used to calibrate the machines used to build engines at Ford. He was very specific on getting the 4.6L V8 instead of any other Ford engine for "durability purposes." He had no interest in the performance potential, and his wife was going to be the main driver. On the test drive, she didn't even rev it past 2,500 RPM.

He stated, and I can't remember his source, that when domestic companies engineered car parts, they set certain ranges for the various parameters the engineers had to work with: what materials may be used, how much the finished part would cost to make, and how long it would last.

The funny thing was, he told me, that if the part was designed outside of the ranges either way... too expensive OR too cheap, wears out too fast in testing OR lasts too long... it was rejected. They didn't want their cars to last too long or their parts sell too cheap.

Is this true? I certainly don't know, and I have absolutely no evidence whatsoever. But after my experience with my 2004 Ford, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    If a manufactuer--say, Honda--consistenly builds reliable cars, every year, than there is a much, much greater chance--both statistically and rhetorically--that they will continue to do so.
    Only makes sense to me as well - and it works in both directions. CR, for whatever fault or differences we all might have with their particular priorities, is the only organization I know of that does things like reliability studies/comparison tests/satisfaction surveys and is not beholden to anybody for whatever results they come up with. As such it should be taken seriously by those consumers valuing an 'intelligent' purchase decision.
    I have noticed that CR does have a tendency to 'recommend' a car earlier than they might otherwise if it happens to be from a mfgr. that has a superior track record as opposed to one that doesn't. I have no problem with this, but we probably also need to understand that sooner or later all things change and that as all cars are improving from a reliability standpoint,that this (reliability) may eventually become a non-factor especially for those of us that usually buy our cars new. It wasn't all that long ago that a car was deemed junk at 50 or 60k (and generally was), nowadays that's barely broken in...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's be sure to keep the focus on the cars themselves, please...
  • Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    It's not all that hard to understand at all. Having to take a car back to the dealer for warranty service a half dozen or so times is easily accomplished when your dealing with a service department that leaves a little to be desired. Also, they never stock any parts, even for the Accord.

So thats 2 visits for one thing, and if that one thing goes wrong twice, that's 4 visits already!!! You can reach 6 to 8 visits easy. The reason I still consider HOnda's to be bulletproof are many:

1) It was a first year model and not built in Japan
    2) The japanese built/assembled Civics we've had have been bulletproof and required no return visits, thats is 0 visits.
    3) It was for things like window moldings rippling and wrinkling and a powerseat that functioned but "bumped" a tad bit at the end of its "track." I'm picky.
    4) It had two rattle sources to deal with.

These are forgiveable offenses; what isn't forgiveable are things that leave you stranded because the car won't start (never happened with any Honda) or things that cost you money you shouldn't have to spend (Honda steps up if something does go wrong, even after warranty).

So Hip hip hooray for Honda! :) But, alas... I did go with a German car, and I might not have if the Accord had been perfect rather than near perfect.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    After discussion over dinner, and reviewing the online offers from a couple different Nissan dealers, we decided to get the 2.5S

Excellent choice. I checked it out at the dealer too when buying my weekend beater, an 06 Frontier, a few months ago. The interior is much nicer and I love the looks of the car. Nissan got it right again. They build a great product.
  • Options
    I think I posted the same kind of comments about Saturn the other day. 2008 will be a big year for GM - the new CTS,Malibu etc. Let's review these cars in 2012 and see what we come up with, but GM's track record for so many years has been above average, which doesn't seem to cut it when there are so many excellents out there.
  • Options
    Yes, but if it comes with equal or better fuel economy why wouldn't you want it?

My sentiments exactly!!!

Why would I pay X amount of dollars for 200 HP and 30 MPG when I can get (for about the same amount of money) 250 HP and 31 MPG? It's a tough sell.

You have to do a X-$$$ equation to get it to be considered by anyone paying attention.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    For me, buying a car is not like buying stocks, but more like a well researched diversified investment.

There is traceable accurate history on all makes and models. And history shows certain companies to be quite dependable, reliable, and consistant.

This is shown for years and years, and can therefore lead to solid predictions. It is sort of like a batter that hits for a .330+ average 10 years in a row. Do you really think in year 11 he's going to hit under .300?
  • Options
    advequityguyadvequityguy Member Posts: 138
    ...So in your opinion, the resale value of the new Tundra is horrible because they almost immediately went to $3000 rebates or 0% financing due to sub-par sales?
  • Options
    mchangmchang Member Posts: 6
    I am torn between these 2 cars and looking for input.
    They are both approx $24k plus tax, tag and title.
    2007 Altima 3.5SE manual
    2007 Mazdaspeed6 Sport manual

comments?
    can i get better deals on either of these cars?
  • Options
    Wow!.....An Olds Intrigue, Olds Alero, and a Malibu Maxx. That's like, the all time trifecta of bad cars. The only thing that's missing is a 2001 Pontiac Aztec or something. I'm not saying all GM cars are crap, but common.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    2007 Altima 3.5SE manual

That would be a tough one. The Mazda looks better, but the Altima would probably have more room inside. I would go with the Altima, mainly because it's a V6.
  • Options
    History would have said the Fusion would have first year problems and Camcords would not have transmission problems or sludged engines. Not to mention all the 2005 Toyota recalls.

So which history do you go by? Pre-2005 or Post-2005? Don't you think post-2005 is a better predictor for 2008?
  • Options
    History would have said the Fusion would have first year problems and Camcords would not have transmission problems or sludged engines.

The Camcord problems affected what? A tenth of a tenth of a percent of their sales? I had multiple, major headaches with my 96 Taurus. I'll go with Honda's legacy all day. Ford's legacy is tainted bigtime in my house. I'll ever buy another one. Any domestic consideration goes to GM.
  • Options
    waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    I bought the MazdaSpeed6 but didn't cross shop the Altima because, to me, they are significantly different cars. I prefer the Mazda's smaller size and AWD was important to me. We did look at the Altima when we bought my wife's A4 Quattro; again the smaller size and AWD won out. I still think that the Altima is a good car, just depends on what features are most important to you.
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    " dittos " go for the Altima. New car too.
  • Options
    batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    Wow!.....An Olds Intrigue, Olds Alero, and a Malibu Maxx. That's like, the all time trifecta of bad cars. The only thing that's missing is a 2001 Pontiac Aztec or something. I'm not saying all GM cars are crap, but common.

The Olds intrigue was actually a good car. My brother has the 3.5L DOHC engine and its quite smooth unlike the 3800 engine. But the Alero is junk you are correct.
  • Options
    zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    sounds like the perfect car for your wife! thanks for your reviews; knowing you own a 6, it's easier for me to relate when you talk about the Altima's handling. post pics when you get a chance. and if your 6 makes it into the pics too, all the better! your wife probably can't wait to get into it and wave goodbye to the neon... exciting times!
  • Options
    zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    definitely a tough call... both are very fast, have good suspensions for solid handling, good transmissions in both. perhaps AWD might be an issue depending on where you live and how much you push the car when cornering (I'm of the view that an AWD car can be pushed harder quicker after the apex than a FWD car could). I've heard in the recent past that the mazdaspeed6 could be had for 5k+ off msrp, but I don't know if that's still the case... geuss it depends on where you live and the availability of this model in your market. I'd say the MS6 would have a tiny bit of a performance edge especially in steering feel, cornering and braking and it looks slightly better (and I think will "age" better) but the Altima would probably have more creature comforts since it has more room, push start, quieter, and slightly softer suspension. So I geuss it comes down to how much sportiness do you want in your sporty sedan? btw... have you looked at the legacy gt?
  • Options
    "...So in your opinion, the resale value of the new Tundra is horrible because they almost immediately went to $3000 rebates or 0% financing due to sub-par sales? "

Look at it logically (and this works for any vehicle):

You have a one year old model, and it is totaled, stolen, or you just had to sell/trade... the value of your car as determined by most pricing books, an insurance adjuster, used car manager, appraiser or private buyer, etc. will roughly be:

The average selling price of a brand new model, less any incentives currently available, minus a percentage (say, 10-30% based on other factors of depreciation such as current demand and past history).

So if the new versions of your one year old model are still selling well at close to MSRP with no incentives, your resale value will be just fine. Alternately, if the new models are selling at invoice or less plus have heavy incentives, than the value of your one year old model has to be adjusted down accordingly.

In the case of the Tundra, I'd say yes, their resale value won't be great (maybe not horrible, but not great) until Toyota stops the discounting and/or incentives.

I'll admit, I think this means that right now, my 2007 Accord with 6k miles is worth slightly less than a 2007 Altima with 6k miles, because an Altima with the same MSRP will cost you more new (less discounts, no factory to dealer incentives that I am aware of). That's OK, because I paid less. However, later this year when the 2008 Accords are out and the deals on the 2007s have dried up, the two 2007 cars should be roughly equal in resale value again.

Of course this is all relative... If you bought your car before any discounting/incentives began or just didn't buy right, then you'll be more affected than someone who took advantage of all the discounts/incentives. "Bigh high / sell low" versus "buy low / sell low."

Cars are not investments, but if you buy the right car sometimes you can "buy low / sell high."
  • Options
    Once again you're using a 10 yr old vehicle for comparison. It's not 1996 anymore and there is no comparison between a 96 Taurus and a 06 Fusion from a reliability standpoint.
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    2007 Altima 3.5SE manual

comments?
    can i get better deals on either of these cars?

Oh mannnn I so want a MazdaSpeed6. But alas, the features and content of the Altima 3.5SE are probably considerably more than that of the "spartan(?)" MazdaSpeed sport.
    After comparing a bit, maybe I take that back, the sunroof, leather, heated seats, etc are optional on both, and the MS6 actually come standard with the HID and Bose, while the Altima makes you kick down for it.
  • Options
    Ha...well, one of the three, yes--the Alero was not a well built or particulary well executed car, though it did look pretty decent.

I had an Intrigue with the 3.5L. It WAS a good car--fun to drive, very good powertrain, nice features. It just didn't hold up well. The Maxx is also pretty well designed--there is an amazing amount of room in it, its very useful, fuel efficient and a good value. Again, durability is a problem--particularly the brakes. But we'll be holding on to that car for a while--it only has 26k.

My point here though is that you can't have a discussion about these cars without considering the history of their manufacturer. Some have more to prove than others.

And btw--overall first year reliability of the Camry has been above average. And I'm willing to bet it will be for the Accord too. The Fusion has been a pleasant surprise, but I'd still want to see data from the next couple of years before being completely confident.

I'd be probably be a little more predisposed to like the Fusion if not for those ridiculous, inaccurate, unethical "challenge" ads they show in which they compare to a loaded Fusion to a stripped 4 cyl Camry and Accord and then claim that the Fusion "wins." Yeah, no kidding.
  • Options
    Oh no, please not the Fusion Challenge again...

I agree it was flawed, but we've beat it to death already.
  • Options
    "It's not 1996 anymore and there is no comparison between a 96 Taurus and a 06 Fusion from a reliability standpoint"

It's the same 3.0 V6 isn't it?

• Options
    No, it's not the same 3.0 V6. The block may be the same but that's about it.
  • Options
    a loaded Fusion to a stripped 4 cyl Camry and Accord and then claim that the Fusion "wins." Yeah, no kidding.

I'm only going to point out that the test was between fully loaded top of the line V6 models, not stripped 4 cylinders. The Accord and Camry had stability control while the Fusion had AWD for the same price. That was the only difference.
  • Options
    I know its petty but the only difference I know of, is that it now uses VVT to bump up the HP a little. Anyway, I do see your original point. However, (IMO) the reason the Fusion is doing well reliability wise has a lot to do with the kinks being worked out of that powertrain over the last 10 years. Kind of like the GM vehicles using the 3.8

• Options
    But with VVT comes totally new heads, new intake, new PCM, etc. It's actually an updated version of the 3.0L that debuted on the 2000 Lincoln LS and Jag Stype which is when the VCT was added. And don't forget there was an OHV 3.0L Vulcan engine in the Taurus back in 1996 also.
  • Options
    However, (IMO) the reason the Fusion is doing well reliability wise has a lot to do with the kinks being worked out of that powertrain over the last 10 years.

I consider that to be a positive, not a negative.
  • Options
    From Wikipedia:

"Ford Motor Company's modern 2.5 L and 3.0 L V6 automobile engines are evolutions of the same design, first used in the 1994 Ford Mondeo. This line is sold under the brand name "Duratec", as are many other engines.

The Mondeo V6 is a modern aluminum DOHC V6 with a 60° bank angle. The primary engineering input came from Porsche, who were developing a similar V6 before selling the engineering to Ford, and Cosworth, who helped with cylinder head manufacturing. The Jaguar AJ-V6 engine is similar but adds variable valve timing. Mazda's AJ version also has this feature."

Duratec 30

"The 3.0 L Duratec 30 or Mazda AJ was introduced in 1996 as a replacement for the 232 in³ (3.8 L) Essex V6 in the Taurus/Sable. It has 2967 cc of displacement and produces between 200 and 240 hp (150 and 180 kW). The same basic engine is used in the Jaguar S-Type, Lincoln LS, Mazda MPV, Mazda6, Mondeo ST220 and many other Ford vehicles. It is essentially a bored-out (to 89 mm) Duratec 25 and is built in Ford Motor Company's Cleveland, OH #2 plant. A slightly modified version for the Ford Five Hundred entered production at the Cleveland, OH #1 plant in 2004.

There are two key versions of the Duratec 30:

DAMB - The Lincoln LS and Jaguar AJ30 versions have direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) tappets. Output is 232 hp (173 kW) at 6750 RPM with 220 ft·lbf (298 N·m) of torque at 4500 rpm.

RFF - The Taurus/Sable/Escape version uses roller finger followers (RFF) instead and produces 201 hp (150 kW) at 5900 RPM with 207 ft·lbf (281 N·m) of torque at 4400 rpm.

The 2006 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr feature a version of the Duratec 30 utilizing variable valve timing. The engine has an output of 221 hp (165 kW) at 6250 rpm, and 205 ft·lbf (278 N·m) of torque at 4800 rpm.

A Twin-turbocharged version of this engine is used in the Noble M400, a British supercar. The engine is rebuilt and tuned to a max power of 425 bhp @ 6500 rpm, with a torque figure of 390 ft·lbf @ 5000 rpm. Noble has used forged pistons, an oil cooler, a larger baffled oil sump and extra cooling ducts to maintain its durability.

Mazda's MZI version adds variable valve timing, as does Jaguar's AJ30. Note that the MZI name is also used in Europe on Mazda's version of the Ford Sigma I4. The 3.0 L, 226 hp V6 used in the Mondeo ST220 is called Duratec ST. The 3.0 L, 204 hp V6 in the Mondeo Titanium is called Duratec SE."
  • Options
    Not to mention all the 2005 Toyota recalls
    What recalls would those be? Don't think they actually recalled even the sludging problem they had on the previous generation of V6s. Recalls, in fact, tend to be related to safety issues. There has been a whole 1 recall on my 05 Avalon TMK (a steering column weld) and a coupla of non-safety related TSBs (Tranny programming and a timing chain cover leak). The car is actually doing better (after over 50k) that I would have anticipated being a completely new car with, at that time, an unproven drivetrain. Broke a cardinal rule (never buy a truly new model its first year), and only something that I would've even considered with a Toyota/Honda/Nissan product. So far so good. The same thing with a GM/Ford/Chrysler product? No way, I'll continue to trust a long established history!
  • Options
    "I consider that to be a positive, not a negative"

Depends how you look at it. On one hand you use an old powertrain to make your "new" vehicle reliable during its launch. On the other hand you end up with a vehicle that has 50 less HP, less refinement (IMO) and gets the same or worse FE compared to the competition.

• Options
    Depends how you look at it. On one hand you use an old powertrain to make your "new" vehicle reliable during its launch.

You are correct, it does depend on how you look at it. I prefer to see this particular glass of water as being half full instead of half empty. The refined 3.0-liter, 221-horsepower V6 Duratec engine in our 2007 Fusion produces plenty of "git up and go," is smooth and quiet while doing so.

Gas mileage, however, is not so good when coupled with AWD. It's 14.8 in all-city driving after seven months and 3,700 miles on the car. The revised EPA estimate for this power train is 17 mpg city; 24 mpg highway. Nothing to write home about.

Without AWD, 3.0-liter V6 owners typically get 20 mpg in town, according to the forums I visit. I fully expect this 2007 Fusion to last seven or eight years.
  • Options
    I think the comparisson was between an AWD Fusion and 2WD Accord / Camrys. I think the logic was that the Fusion tested would still cost less than the Accord / Camrys tested. Would it be more fair to compare the 2WD Fusion that costs 4 grand less than the competitors? I dont know, but you have to admit, the Fusion is pretty good for what it is.......
  • Options
    ...just dont ever try to trade out of the Mazdaspeed6. Trust me sir, I have experience concerning trading one in, and it aint pretty.
  • Options
    Yes Sir. That's pretty much my point. Rebates dont really have a bad effect unless you didn't get them when you bought yours. If you can avoid the "buy high / sell low" situation, you can pretty much take the depreciation factor out of consideration on any vehicle you want to buy. Unless it's just absolutely outrageous depreciation like the Korean cars / Suzukis / Isuzus / Mitsubishis / and certain domestics, namely most Dodges and some unpopular GM and Ford cars.