Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd be good with that, ;) and most appreciative.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I thought they were leaning very heavily toward the Passat, for 1st place. But I think with the turbo 4cylinder, it competes more with V6 versions of the other cars. In terms of price, performance, and fuel economy.
    It seems the Malibu has lost it's appeal to MT.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, they seemed to like the Passat. It should be good for $26k, a $4k or more price bump over some of the other cars. That would have gotten a well-equipped V6 on some of the other cars. But it wasn't clear to me just what their top five rankings are. The Malibu has fallen fast, hasn't it? I thought the 6AT would help it; apparently not enough.

One really odd thing though about the comparo. MT appears to have tested a car that does not exist in normal space: the 2009 Sonata SE with a 4-cylinder engine. :confuse: Awhile back someone here (I won't name names...) opined that rather than testing a 2009 Sonata Limited, C/D should have tested an SE in their recent mid-sized comparo, and maybe the sportier handling would have given it a few more points in the scoring. Somehow MT snagged such a car (which apparently didn't exist earlier this year) and named it... oops, sorry thegraduate. Almost slipped there! ;)
  • moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    Heh loving the rave reviews for the Sonata. It well deserves it for such a well done vehicle. I am also weirded out that the malibu scored so low. It seems there's vehicles that would generally be worse, but MT is a strange magazine for sure.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    The biggest surprise to me was the low ranking of the Altima, not that I like the car myself, but surprised that the magazine editors did not. The least surprising is the Dodge Avenger being the lowest ranked.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I believe that in CR the 2008 Altima was rated best in class.
    By a close margin I think that is correct. (Note that CR hasn't reported on some of these cars yet, e.g. the 2009 Sonata.) I think one of the reasons the Altima didn't fare well in this group is the as-tested price was very high, over $29k. Just why MT loaded it up like that I don't know (C/D tested a bare-bones 2.5S I recall), unless that's the only Altima Nissan had available to give them from their test fleet.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Not sure how Motortrend ended up with a fully loaded Altima 2.5SL but they are right on the pricing. Altima's especially 2.5Sl models can get down right expensive when optioned out. The Altima tested by motortrend included the Technology pkg (Navigation, XM Nav Traffic, Rear View Camera along with the Connection pkg which includes the XM radio, Bluetooth and Speed sensitive volume)

To get that Technology pkg you are required to get a rear spoiler (which is like $350) and Fog Lights (About $200) on top of the price of the Technology pkg ($2000) for a grand total of $29160 and that's without Floor Mats!

Altimas pack a lot of technological gadgetry (bluetooth, push button start, rearview camera and what not) but they get really really expensive fast. The 2.5SL, espeically isn't a great value. For that kind of money you might as well move on up to the 3.5SL and 3.5SE, which at $32.5K, fully loaded aren't exactly good values either.

As backy put it, a simiply optioned Altima 2.5S with maybe the Conv. pkg would have done better in the test...but a loaded Altima, especially with the gruff 2.5L isn't a good value pushing $30 grand.

Another thing I'm not understanding is why the Passat is rated so highly? I take issue with magazine articles sometimes when the give certain cars "points' for meeting low price points when in reality most cars with similar equipment end up being about the same price.

For example, in the Comparison test they make note of the Accord's value against the competiton saying its a good value compared to the Altima and some others but not such a good one verses the Optima, Sonata and Camry.

I'll agree all day long that the Accord EX isn't such a great value next to a kia Optima EX or Sonata SE similarily equipped...and did anybody notice that the Sonata SE was not only a 4 cylinder but an Automatic as well? :confuse:

But when you equipt the Camry LE or SE similarly to the Accord EX, it's not such a great value, since the said Camry doesn't have the Sunoof, CD6 changer and Alloy wheels (LE models) that come standard on the Accord.

It's the opposite situation for the Passat. At $26K for a basic Passat Turbo model with no sunroof, no leather (leatherette) and a significant amout of equipment missing off of this car tha comes standard or optional on the Accord, Optima and Sonata, the Passat loses big time on the value equation...but you'd never know that reading the Motortrend comparison test...because no mention of it is made.

I just wish the automakers and these car magazines could align options and test pricing better. And for a comparison test that's supposed to be about frugality, it's funny the Passat requires premium and does not get the best gas mileage....so much for the frugality equation.
    I think hyundai is a little sneaky there. Not sure if/when a Sonata SE I4 with automatic will actually be on the market. I'm sure they did this because the SE is tuned more for performance/handling, which of course, is what most car magazines have a love for. I think if an I4 SE does come out, it'll be a great pick for most people. The SE has almost every feature I would want except for the silly navigation Anyways I'd say the Sonata is definitely one of the best buys if price is important...
    I'm still wondering which car came in first, but assuming the Sonata was 1st or 2nd, it would definitely be the winner in my eyes.
    I think the Sonata has got to be at least in the top 3. They seem to like the Camry a lot (for whatever reason) so I expect it to be high up there too.

I'm willing to bet it's
    Passat
    Sonata
    Camry
    Accord
    Fusion

In that Order...maybe switch Camry and Sonata.

It's funny how Motortrend's comparison usually go against everything every other magazine says. Motortrend rates the camry very highly yet most other magazines rate it midpack. I'm really surprised by the Malibu's ranking though
    But why would MT test a model (SE) that few people are likely to own?
    Passat
    Accord
    Camry
    Sonata
    Fusion
    Especially when said model isn't even avaialable to consumers...Hyundaiusa.com doesn't even list a Sonata I4 model with automatic or manual transmission.

And did anyone notice the Passat was a stick shift?
    Few people are likely to own an Altima 2.5 with every possible option or an Optima EX I4 with every possible option, but those are the cars MT tested. If you look on the lots you see mainly 2.5Ses and Optima LXes, or EX V6es.

As has been said, MT could have lined up the equipment in the cars better. For example, they tested a basic Camry LE and Passat but loaded-up Altima, Fusion, Optima, and Malibu (any others?--Galant?) and mid-trim Sonata, Accord, and Avenger. It throws the whole "value' equation off--if they use that as a key criterion. For example, an Optima LX with ESC/ABS package, AT, and Appearance package is very nicely equipped (with many of the features on the EX trim) and lists for under $20k (under $17k with current rebates). And the other loaded cars are at disadvantage if the loading doesn't improve the ride/handling, which it probably doesn't much. OTOH, the Camry would have probably done better had they tested the SE trim, due to its sharper handling.
    All the cars are supposed to be automatics (or CVTs). I wonder if they slipped up and used a stock photo of a Passat with a stick, or maybe the AT shifter just looks like a stick? (That's what I thought when I saw the photo.)
    The photos on Motortrend's website show a stickshift (VW uses a chrome surround for there tiptronic transmissions) and it went 0-60 in 6.7 seconds.

It's gotta be a stick.

But I agree 100 percent Backy...the comparison has no consistency whatsoever...especially they way they try to slant the VW Passat as a "Value" leader in the group.

A Passat equipt anything like that Altima would be well over $32 grand.
  • karsickkarsick Member Posts: 312
    .... more Motor Trend comparos coming next month, too:

They'll decide which is the most cost-effective commuter sedan from the Far East, a Kio Rio sedan or a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

Then they'll head to Moab to compare the off-road prowess of two SUV's, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon vs the Porsche Cayenne GTS :P .
  • dgs4dgs4 Member Posts: 66
    "silly navigation"

Excuse me? I have the V6 Limited Sonata with navigation and it's anything but "silly." It is a great system, voice activated and touch screen with a huge POI database, dead reckoning, multi-destination routing, and the ability to play CD's and DVD's (both movies and music) all for $1,250. That under cuts the competition by as much as $750 and is just as good as anything in a Honda. Maybe it's silly to you, but for those of us who need the assistance of a nav system, and enjoy the convenience of it, the system makes a wonderful addition. It was a huge factor in getting me to look at a Sonata in the first place, and I'm sure I won't be the only one. I guarantee you that option helps with sales of the 09 on top of all the other improvements.
    Whoa whoa, it was just a random comment regarding my non-need to upgrade to limited and also add nav. I'm sure the nav system is awesome and great for everyone who gets it. Don't worry about what I say there :) I'm sure you have every right to love your nav.
  • jerry08jerry08 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum. I plan to purchase either an Accord LX-P (I4 Auto) or a Sonata Limited (I4 Auto) in the next two weeks, and to keep the car for 5 to 8 years. I am looking for your opinions on the following in order to firm up on the decision: pricing, maintenance/insurance costs, reliability, and resale value.

I have test-driven both vehicles and feel either one will be a good choice for my family. Their drivability is between the two cars I previously owned: a 96 Maxima SE and a 02 RX 300. Both vehicles are closely priced: the Accord has a price quote that is $100 above invoice, whereas the Sonata is priced $405 above the Accord's. Accord has better reputation and resale value, and Sonata has better warranty and accompaniments. Can you provide some advices/opinions to help tipping the scale? Thanks.
    The Accord definitely has the resale value advantage (in 5 years, think of the price difference). Overall though, both are excellent vehicles. Do you have a gut feeling of one you prefer over the other? The sportier handling of the Accord or the smoother ride of the Sonata?
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I think that if you'll compare the equipment on both cars, you'll find the Sonata gives you a LOT more for your money. Having said that, it comes down to which YOU prefer.
    If you're comparing a mid-model Accord vs Top of the Line Sonata Limited, I'd definitely pick the Sonata. At going for 5+ years of ownership, resale values aren't as important and I would figure the extra interior space and many extra features would be worth it. Of course this assumes you like the ride itself, that is key. I'm not sure where you get your pricing from as well, but a Sonata should be easily found at $1000 under invoice as well before any rebates even.
    Since you are comparing two cars with much different levels of equipment, I think a price comparison is difficult. Think of it as getting a car with a LOT more equipment for about the same price as a more basic car. You should check with your insurance rep re relative insurance costs, since they can vary widely. Maintenance-wise, there should be little difference, but consider that you have a much longer warranty on the Sonata to cover problems, so that could affect overall ownership cost. Reliability-wise, the Accord and Sonata I4 are very close. Resale value is not a major issue for a long-term ownership, but again it's hard to compare here because the cars are not of equivalent utlity. It would be different if you were comparing, say, the Sonata Limited to the Accord EX-L.

You might also see if you can find an SE to drive. Its crisper handling might be closer to that of the Accord, if you like the way the Accord drives better than the Sonata. And the SE would cost less than the Limited.
    Simply put, I'd take the Sonata Limited I4, with it's leather upholstery, dual-zone climate control and power sunroof over the Accord LX-P which lacks these options.

The LX-P is a better value than the LX IMO, but I could never own any Accord (or any car for that matter) without at least a sunroof. I prefer the styling of the Sonata Limited, with it's chrome trim bits and nicer 17 inch alloy wheels to the Accord LX-P's 16s as well.

As other have mentioned you should be able to get the Sonata for well below invoice. For some of the pricing I've been seeing over at the "Prices Paid and Buying Experiences" forum for the 09 Sonata, you should be able to get at least $2000 below invoice at a minimum for an 09 Sonata. With that kind of pricing you could very well step up to a Limited V6 and it would still be comparable in price to the Accord LX-P.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0806_four_cylinder_midsize_sedan_- comparison/index.html

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0808_top_five_family_sedan_compar- ison/index.html

1ST PLACE VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT
    Despite a high sticker and thirst for premium, wins by a nose due to driving fun.

2ND PLACE HYUNDAI SONATA
    Only lacking the VW's verve; our #1 pick if family comes first.

3RD PLACE TOYOTA CAMRY
    Efficient, well executed, it's the sound, yet charmless choice.

4TH PLACE HONDA ACCORD
    Polarizing looks inside and out can't hide a great engine and chassis combination.

5TH PLACE FORD FUSION
    Surprisingly athletic chassis hampered by wheezy engine and irritating transmission.

6TH PLACE KIA OPTIMA
    Though due for a refresh, Kia finishes on top of the second tier. Room and economy are fine, it just needs the same refinements the Sonata received.

7TH PLACE NISSAN ALTIMA
    Steepest sticker, yet not the best ride, performance, or value. CVT and light steering create an effortless drive, yet fully loaded, it still seems lacking.

8TH PLACE CHEVROLET MALIBU
    Poor finish for arguably the best looker. Shame that sexy skin hides a weight problem the underpowered Ecotec can't handle.

9TH PLACE MITSUBISHI GALANT
    Looks old, feels older, and saddled with many of this comparo's worsts, including power-to-weight and EPA and observed fuel economy.

10TH PLACE DODGE AVENGER
    Drum brakes, four-speed trans, cheap plastics, and poor economy make this a frightful drive. Gaps between last and first don't get any wider than this.
    You might want to put a big "SPOILER ALERT" in the top of that post for people like me who subscribe to the magazine and may not have wanted the ending given away.
    I think for serious frugal family car buyers the real answer is the Sonata. We're looking at something that just outgunned the Camry and Accord.

The Passat is more for family buyers with extra cash that want to have fun. Kinda reminds me of a Mazda3 And Rabbit in the compact class. If you wanna have your cake and eat it too, it'll cost you...and it'll push you closer to a lot of other vehicles in the 25-30k range. Personally I'll stick to the 15-20k range.

The two biggest surprises to me were the Altima and Malibu being so low. I guess everyone has different likes and tastes, obviously the Motortrend people do too!

One other interesting note: The Avenger uses an engine with similar base parts to the Sonata's 2.4L, I guess hyundai did a better job tuning their engine to be smooth and reasonably powerful. The Avenger's 9.3 0-60 is pretty pathetic and the handling numbers are just as bad. It goes to show that an engine does not make a car. Of course the same base type of engine in 2.0T is also the lancer evo ;)
    The basic block design of the Avenger and Sonata are similar, that's about it. Much different engines--obviously.
  • larry70301larry70301 Member Posts: 7
    Hello Folks,
    Consider a Kia Amanti. I think you'll be very surprised at what you get for the money.
    Larry
    Well, the Amanti is generally considered to be a full-sized sedan, but thanks for the suggestion. I'd tend to go with something like the Azera or Taurus in that class though. Or a mid-sizer that has full-sized interior room, like the Accord or Sonata.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Awhile back we had a short discussion on dealer profits and where they came from, new car sales, used sales, repairs/parts, body shop etc. There was an article in our local newspaper which reported that AutoNation, the largest car dealer chain in the US reported the following numbers.

% of gross profit from new car sales = 22%
    % of gross profit from service/parts = 42%

It didn't break down the rest in the article but I assume body shop and used car sales made up the other 36%. I would guess that used car profits probably were close if not more than the new car profits as well. The article also mentioned that this profit picture was the case for most new car dealers.

It was in the Chicago Tribune and was about vehicles sales in general and the truck/suv glut.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    % of gross profit FROM new car sales not to be confused with net profit margin, This is misleading - all this says is this particular co. sells a lot of new cars NOT that they are making a 22% profit selling you or me a new car.
    So are you saying that this particular company(which represents over 600 dealerships nationwide) makes more profit from new car sales than it does from repair/parts? If you're not than what is misleading about the numbers?

I don't think the statement, which says gross profit , insinuates that they make a 22% net profit margin on each new car sold.
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    So are you saying that this particular company(which represents over 600 dealerships nationwide) makes more profit from new car sales than it does from repair/parts
    to the contrary I'm suggesting that the 'average' dealer is LOSING money selling new cars - especially if you consider the direct (and indirect) costs incurred doing it. If there weren't used car lots and service depts. we would likely have no dealers. The fact that Autonation might generate 22% of it gross profits from new car sales means nothing simply because they might be losing money doing it (although I seriously doubt it).
    Have a friend that happens to own a few dealerships and he will claim precisely that - was awarded a Ford dealership franchise and was really looking forward to what he thought would be more high profit service $ - and not necessarily because the Fords were more likely to need service, only in that there are more Fords out there (incl trucks) to fix.
    The ex 'Big 3' make billions and billions of gross profits every year manufacturing cars, YET when all is said and done it turns out they LOSE billions and billions.
    Ok. We are both on the same page. The discussion I was referring to was a comment about how much dealers made off new car sales and how they screw everyone. I commented with exactly what you just said.....that they make lots more from backshop, used sales, bodywork, parts etc than new car sales. Some questioned my premise so when I saw the numbers in that article I thought it would be interesting to post.

I'm sure there are some dealers, maybe luxury type cars, that actually make decent money off new car sales but for the more average price car dealers they make little to none. New cars end up being like loss leaders that draw people into stores with the hope they buy other things and keep coming back for service etc.

The fact that Autonation might generate 22% of it gross profits from new car sales means nothing simply because they might be losing money doing it (although I seriously doubt it).

It means they generate 22% of their gross profit from new car sales. It means exactly that, nothing more, nothing less.
    After researching the meaning of "gross" vs. "net" profit, I think it would be more useful to know the percent of net profit from each part of the operation. If wikipedia is to be believed, gross profits are before deducting overhead, payroll, taxation, and interest payments.

Apparently the fact that their are positive "gross profits" from selling new cars, pretty much merely means they sell the cars for more than they buy them from the manufacturers. Looking at gross profits would just seem to mean mark-up is higher on parts than on new cars...not exactly something anyone would question, I presume.
  • jerry08jerry08 Member Posts: 2
    I finally decided on the Sonata, and had just purchased 4-cylinder 09 Sonata Limited in Khaki color. I was not able to get the price down to much here in Dallas, and ended up paying 22,020 (with rebate) out-the-door.

Thank your and others who had responded to my questions.
    You're right, it would be nice to have all the facts and figures but I was just relating what the article said and they didn't mention net profits.

My point, and I really was trying to keep it very simple, is that dealers make more profit(I guess I mean net profit) from backshop operations other than they do from new car sales. Untill someone proves me wrong, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Congrats on your new car. What color is your interior? It would be great to hear about you experience with the car, especially the MPG you get, over on the Sonata forum.
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    Dealerships deffinitly make the bulk of their money from repair/warranty work. look at it this way:
    1. they basically charge whatever they want. At the least, a dealerships labor rate is 20% more than any shop in the area
    2. Many, many, many people will not let anybody but the dealership touch their car. not even oil changes.
    3. warranty and recall work will always keep them busy. and even though they sold the car, its either the warranty company; or in the case of recalls, the manufacture, who is footing the bill.
    4. and because they can provide so much work, dealerships almost always pay mechanics less than private shops do. (though the higher volume of work will make up for that).

thats the cash cow for dealerships. I agree with captain. the dealers probably loose money on new car sales when all is said and done. When John Q Public can just go online and look up the MSRP, invoice and even set aside on any car on any lot and its impossible for a dealer to screw over a customer. All they can hope for is the customer is either lazy, stupid, or both.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Dealerships deffinitly make the bulk of their money from repair/warranty work

I have seen 2 articles now where Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealers are concerned with revenue streams because there is so little warranty work as of late. Because of all the quality improvements, there aren't the warranty issues of yore, and the dealers have to find ways to be profitable though sales.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "Dealerships definitely make the bulk of their money from repair/warranty work."

Of course they do. And that's why the dealer "suggested" maintenance is so much more costly than the manufacturer's recommendations. Since most people never look at their manual, they don't know that many maintenance intervals are now 100,000 miles (e.g., spark plugs, coolant and transmission fluid service). If I listened to my dealer, I'd be doing those things at 30-50,000 mile intervals. Not that that's a bad thing, but probably not necessary under normal driving conditions.
    Maybe Ford should increase the warranty on their cars, both to reflect their higher quality, and to encourage more owners to have their cars maintained (at dealers) per the manufacturer's service schedule, to keep the long warranty in effect. And the more owners that have their cars maintained regularly, the less the chance of breakdowns and the better Ford will appear in the long-term reliability rankings. It's a strategy that seems to have paid off for Hyundai, anyway.
    Toyota and Honda were certainly not the epitome of quality when they first landed on our shores but as they become better made and reliable the word got around. For the last twenty years they have not had to discount and rebate like the Big Three and have made a lot of money. I'm not sure that a manufacturer(say like Ford) has to lengthen it's warranty to get the point across but it may hasten the process of turning perception around.
    Maybe Ford should increase the warranty on their cars, both to reflect their higher quality, and to encourage more owners to have their cars maintained (at dealers) per the manufacturer's service schedule, to keep the long warranty in effect.

Does the warranty say you have to have the car's maintenance performed at the dealership? If it does, you are paying for that warranty IMO. I have had very little warranty work done, but I've never been denied warranty service (even extended warranty) because my car was maintained by me.
    No, it does not. But I know many people who THINK they have to have their cars serviced at dealerships to keep the warranty in force. That perception, and a general increase in service work by folks who want to keep their warranties in force, could help Ford get some of the extra cash they are seeking.
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    "Toyota and Honda were certainly not the epitome of quality when they first landed on our shores"
    I bought my first Toyota in January, 1969, and drove it 127,000 miles over the next 9 1/2 years. That car was bullet-proof. I put a hitch on it and towed a light trailer (it only had 95 hp). I drove it on jeep trails on camping trips. I forded a stream with it, and the car behind me stalled trying to cross. Toyota quality was excellent at that time, and their cars were still new to the US. I had visited Japan and noticed that Toyota dominated car sales there, which gave me confidence to purchase one.
    For me, it is not thinking I have to have dealer do maintenance, it is that it will avoid potential hassles should a problem occur. Also it is often a convenient to have the warranty work done at the same time as maintenance. I have not found the dealers (if you use their discount coupons) to be significantly more expensive than other alternatives, they are often cheaper than any other option for oil changes.
    I have had a similar experience, in fact oil changes on two of my three vehicles are free from dealerships because I had a major service (30k on one, 60k on another) performed there. If I had bought my cars at those dealerships, I would have gotten free oil changes as long as I owned the cars.