Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan Truck Fires

shhenryshhenry Member Posts: 3
My wife hit a cow with the front of my Nissan '06 Titan truck about 1 month ago. Yeah I know how the heck does that happen!! The cow lived but the truk soon went on fire by the front driver side area. Luckily wife and 2 1/2 yr old son ok. Apparently the cow got was not secure in pen at night and was crossing the road on a very sharp bend. The front of the truck sustained considerable damage to bumper, grill, hood, headlamp and driver side quarter panel. The impact with the cow was around 25 - 30mph. Airbags did not deploy.

My wife had noticed minutes after putting on the flashers, both flashers and headlights went out and then orange glow came from front driver side quarter panel. The one headlamp on drivers side was pointing down after the impact.

Nissan took information and gave me claim number but has not returned any of my calls anymore. From the many pictures i took it looked pretty certain that fire started in and around headlight housing where bulb & wiring were. Nissan never sent any investigators either and are being quite silent. They didnt want to provide me with email address to forward them the pictures i took either.

Be curious if anyone else has had any experience with fires near the headlight on this year and model truck.

Comments

• razorthunderrazorthunder Member Posts: 98
    Interesting. Nissan recalled the whole line of Altima's for engine fire, haven't heard of fires in the Titan though. However, wouldn't surprise me ..... I would like to see how Nissan responses, if at all.
  • kokojoekokojoe Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Nissan titan crew cab LE with 7000 miles. On 4/16/07 the
    driver side rear door caught on fire. My 2 year old son and myself were
    outside the truck while my 4 month old slept in the back seat. I noticed

smoke coming from the door handle and around the window seals, so I rushed over and opened the door. Upon opening, the wind fanned the flames and the entire inside door panel was engulfed. I got the baby out and then poured water on the fire, no luck it came right back. I disconnected the battery and a neighbor put it out with a fire extinguisher. The baby was taken to the hospital but was released without a scratch. The only reason this wasn't a tragedy was that I was standing right there and saw the smoke.
  • kokojoekokojoe Member Posts: 2
    OMG! Nissan should be banned from producing these death traps that are manufactured without regards for consumer safety. I'm glad to hear that no one was seriously injured or burned in this incident. The whole line of 2006 Altima's were recalled because of engine fire. Of course, Nissan discounted them without passing that information to potential consumers. Some one needs to stop these jokers before people get seriously injuried or killed.
  • shhenryshhenry Member Posts: 3
    Kokojoe,
    I am so happy you were next to the vehicle when it happend, and was succeeded in getting your baby out safely. Your story had me thinking some terrible thoughts based on what could of happened in both of our situations. I apologize but I stopped monitoring this email thread after the other person had provided his disparaging remarks. I don't claim to be any expert, but I did take electrical engineering in school. My thought would be that if things were functioning correctly, a fuse would have blown when it sensed an electrical surge through the wiring. Apparently that is not the case here. I have always been a Nissan fan and in fact I bouth 3 new Nissan vehicles in my life. All I was asking from Nissan was an explanation as to why things happened and if it was expected. Since they stopped returning my calls and left me the cold shoulder, I have decided I may take all my HD video clips, photos, and recorded documentation and start a class action lawsuit.
    I am not the type of person that seeks to cause problems for any company, but this has got me concerned now.
    I am so happy nothing tragic happened to your family...thank you for your information.
    regards, shawn
    You should post the video on www.youtube.com. Maybe that will cause Nissan to react, or at the very least it will inform future consumers about the potential risk involve, no matter if it is a low probability of occurring, it would still potentially be catastrophic.
  • msloffmsloff Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Nissan Titan SE, crew cab had a fire in the engine compartment on 17-Jun-07. I am wondering if anyone else has heard any similar issues. No one was hurt, but my wife had to get my 3 year old daughter out of the truck while it was on fire.

I called Nissan yesterday to make them aware of this situation. The conversation was odd at best. After reading this discussion, I am betting I don't hear back from them.
    2005 Nissan Engine Fire Update:

I have had three separate conversations with Nissan Consumer Advocates. (Believe me, this name is an oxymoron.) The first person was in over her head, which given the circumstance, I guess I could understand. The second was a "trained professional." Not once, did he express concern or compassion towards my wife, my daughter or the seriousness of this situation. I spoke to this person twice last week. I would have thought Nissan would have been all over this situation to make sure there was not a manufacturing issue. Not the case. Rather, this person stated he did not know when there technical investigator would "get to this". Also, he indicated that my insurance company had not indicated to Nissan that they were going to pursue this as a vehicle defect. (Not the case, I have a copy of the letter in my possession).

At the end of the day, I was hoping Nissan would have reacted in professional manner, so far, it has been deny, deny, deny. I was not asking them to admit any fault, only to treat this with the diligence it deserves.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on how to get through to them?
  • shhenryshhenry Member Posts: 3
    Sorry you also have been having such a difficult time getting Nissan to respond properly to you. However, may I say I am happy that you and your family are all fine. As you know I have experienced same type of communication with them. It certainly is scary to think what could have happened. I don't think a company like Nissan runs with a conscience. They do not seem to know much about customer relations, or how to keep a valued customer.

I wish I had concrete answers for you to help you break through the wall of silence, but I dont. I have a few suggestions for you to consider. You may want to look up the NHTSA website to research and possibly file a complaint. I sent them a email and this is the info. they provided. I would call them if I were you, as I will be doing the same shortly.

If you believe your vehicle has a safety related defect, you may consider filing a complaint with NHTSA.

You may visit our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov for information on how to file a Vehicle Safety Complaint. The methods to file a complaint are as follows:
    •Website
    •Contacting our Hotline
    •Printing the web form and mailing it to NHTSA

We hope that you find this information helpful. However, if you need additional information on our services please feel free to contact us at 1-888-327-4236.
    ---------------------------------------------

You may also want to look for safety recalls for your year and model truck. I believe you may find them on NHTSA or possibly Nissan's website. I do know that I did see some safety recalls on some earlier model Nissan trucks (Titan I believe) with a potential for fire hazard. It had to do with something related to the wiring harness (miswiring) and if you connect up electronic tow brakes I believe.

The Nissan Customer Advocacy group should have indicated to you on the phone when you called if there were any open/known safety recalls on your particular truck. If not, you should call them again and ask.

You may also want to talk with a lawyer who specializes in these type of cases. Document all phone conversations and people you spoke to at Nissan. No gaurantees here but try a few just to make sure you get a good representation.

There is also some websites out there in which you can document your issue and potentially open a class action lawsuit.

As for me, I took lots of photos of my truck and where the fire started. I will write a very conscise letter as to what happened and how Nissan has dealt with me and will forward to folks at Nissan. I will likely look at some of their annual reports or 10k to find some key names and send them my story. I will be calling NHTSA in addition, and possibly checking a couple other product liability lawyers. It all just takes time as you know...

Please keep me posted on how you make out. I will try to do the same.

regards
  • tenntacctenntacc Member Posts: 1
    On 7/6/07, my husband was driving our 2005 titan when the brakes quit working, then he smelled smoke and lifted the hood to find the engine in flames. The driver side of the engine was badly damaged. It sounds like there are more than just Altima's with engine fies.
    I have finally been able to get Nissan to react to the engine fire that occurred with my Nissan truck on Father's Day. Trust me when I say that it was not easy, but I can be a very persistent person. Today they sent an Engineer to look at the truck and they will send an investigator on July 24th. (Over a month after my first call to Nissan).

For the person that had the issue on 7/6/07, if you want, email me on my personal email at h20_dawg@hotmail.com and I will provide you with contact information at Nissan.
  • stacycalstacycal Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 Nissan Frontier caught fire last night and is totaled. My husband parked it around 6:15 PM and our neighbor noticed the smoke coming out of the car at around 11:15 PM. The truck then went up quickly from there. We are fortunate that the fire department came and put it out before the gas tank caught fire and blew up the house with it.

We have already left a message with the Nissan group but there were very rude and suggested that we 'allow our insurance to pay for it'.

Has anyone else had this experience? If you have, what did you do about it? :sick:
  • dima3dima3 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Just ran across this site so I decided to stop and share my story, maybe get some advice.
    My 2004 nissan titan Le had an engin fire also. I was at work at the time, a car driving past my house saw the fie and called the fire department. The truck was pretty much a total loss. I did not have insurance on it since I had just purchased the vehicle and didnt register it to my name, was supposed to do it that week. I did get a recall notie about a year later about a compressor that lets in water that can lead to engine fires. I still have the burnt truck in my yard.

Im just wondering if any of you had any luck getting anything out of Nissan??
    Any advice and help would be great.
  • titanfiretitanfire Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2006 TITAN se. I had an engine fire in my driveway wile doing routine maintenance. I had a leak in the power steering line for some time and thought this could have contributed to it. The truck was running at the time of fire to be able to see the leek from the power steering line. I haven't contacted Nissan just my insurance company who seems to be asking more questions as to my ability and financial situation. Have never made a claim and have had many vehicles and home insured with the same insurer for eleven years. Is there someone specific with Nissan I should report this car problem with. Hope there not waiting for people to start dying.
  • reberthreberth Member Posts: 2
    I had a 2004 Nissan Titan and it burned to the ground because of an electrical fire in the dash area in the lower section. It was very visible on where the issue was. It was a black box with wires going into it jst above the drivers right foot that I have not identified as of yet . I got the whole incident on video. I took video of the component that was smoking an orangey color then melted the plastic casing. I tried to stop it by disconnecting the battery to take away the current to slow down the heating process but no luck within minutes the insulation in the dash caught fire and I had to get out of there. By this time my wife had already called the fire department. I hope this helps with my case with Nissan. I think they are going to work with me since I have the proof that so many people don't have when these things happen. I am thinking this may be a quick process because of this video I have because each department that contacted me form Nissan said that it would take 3 to 5 business days for a response from each department in this process and it only took like 1 hour with one 2 hours with another then 3 hours from one more. I hope they work with me because insurance only will pay for the loan I had and won't be enough to put me in another vehicle.
    I have emailed an attorney that had co-wrote the lemon law in virginia with the information so maybe he can help me as well.
    I loved my Nissan Titan and even after all this I wouldn't mind getting another one again.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4333/july2010004.jpg">
  • reberthreberth Member Posts: 2
    I had a 2004 Nissan Titan and it burned to the ground because of an electrical fire in the dash area in the lower section. It was very visible on where the issue was. It was a black box with wires going into it jst above the drivers right foot that I have not identified as of yet . I got the whole incident on video. I took video of the component that was smoking an orangey color then melted the plastic casing. I tried to stop it by disconnecting the battery to take away the current to slow down the heating process but no luck within minutes the insulation in the dash caught fire and I had to get out of there. By this time my wife had already called the fire department. I hope this helps with my case with Nissan. I think they are going to work with me since I have the proof that so many people don't have when these things happen. I am thinking this may be a quick process because of this video I have because each department that contacted me form Nissan said that it would take 3 to 5 business days for a response from each department in this process and it only took like 1 hour with one 2 hours with another then 3 hours from one more. I hope they work with me because insurance only will pay for the loan I had and won't be enough to put me in another vehicle.
    I have emailed an attorney that had co-wrote the lemon law in virginia with the information so maybe he can help me as well.
    I loved my Nissan Titan and even after all this I wouldn't mind getting another one again.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • sharon5190sharon5190 Member Posts: 1
    Make: NISSAN
    Model: TITAN

Year: 2004
    Complaint Number: 10358808
    Summary:
    SEPT 27 2010 TRAVELING HOME FROM W.V FROM CAMPING. WE WAS ON I - 77 S BOUND AT MILE MAKER 10 IN FANCY GAP. WE SMELLED SOMETHING FUNNY. I LOOKED AT MY RIGHT MIRROR AND SAW WHITE GRAY SMOKE COMING OUT OF THE BACK OF MY 2004 NISSAN TITAN TRUCK. I PULLED OVER AND WHEN I PUT MY FOOT ON THE BRAKE I HAD NONE, DUE FROM THE HEAT OF THE FIRE, I GOT OUT AND SAW MY DRIVERS SIDE UNDER THE FENDER ON FIRE. I HAD TRANSMISSION FLUID EVERYWHERE. TRANSMISSION FLUID HAD SPRAYED ON THE MANIFOLD AND CAUGHT FIRE, THEN THE GAS LINE RUPTURED. I HAD A TRANSMISSION FLUID AND GAS FIRE. THANK GOD I HAD A FIRE EXTINGUISHER AS WELL AS ANOTHER MAN STOP TO HELP PUT IT OUT, IT TOOK TWO FIRE EXTINGUISHER TO PUT THE FIRE OUT, ONE WASN'T ENOUGH.WE COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED BUT I WAS TOLD THAT THE REASON WHY MY TRUCK DIDN'T BLOW UP WAS BECAUSE I HAD A FULL TANK OF GAS. WELL I TOOK MY TRUCK INTO NISSAN AND THEY TOLD ME THAT I HAD A RUPTURE IN MY TRANSMISSION LINE AND THAT IT WAS A DEFECTIVE, FAULTY LINE. I FIND OUT LATER THAT THEY HAD A TECHNICAL BULLETIN OUT ON THE 2004-2005 ARMADA AND TITAN DATED AUG 1 2005.I HAD MY TRUCK IN FOR A TRANSMISSION FLUSH 45 DAYS BEFORE THIS HAPPENED AND NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE BULLETIN.NO ONE ASKED ME IF I WOULD LIKE TO REPLACE MY LINES AND CLAMPS. I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS BULLETIN UNTIL WEDNESDAY NIGHT WHEN I DID RESEARCH. IF THEY HAD TOLD ME ABOUT THIS, THIS COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED. NISSAN KNOWS ABOUT THIS AND I AM TRYING TO WORK WITH THEM. I HOPE THEY DO THE RIGHT THING ABOUT FIXING MY TRUCK AND PAYING MY TOW BILLS. THE WEIRD THING IS I TRIED TO GET THE VA STATE TROOP TO DO A REPORT AND HE SAID THEY DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE.
  • scarryscarry Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2010 Nissan Titan with 30000 miles/48000km with bumper to bumper warranty. It was parked in my driveway and was not ran for 5 hours prior. Late at night a knock came to the door with a stranger telling me my truck was on fire. The passenger tail light, rear fender and tailgate and bumper were on fire.
    I was able to extinguish the fire before fire trucks arrived. My dealer tells me not much they will do as the insurance will fix it. Could have been a lot worse if it was later at night being park by my house. Flames were 4 feet high by the time I seen it. Fire chief says its not foul play and the truck equipment caused the fire.
    Any suggestions?
  • viewtokillviewtokill Member Posts: 2
    Hi There,

I had a similar situation on Friday the 21st of October.
    I had my son in law take my truck a 2006 Nissan Frontier and a hauler to go and get bales of hay for my horses.
    When he returned home he and his friend left after parking the truck and the hauler in front of my house still with the bales of hay on the hauler. Approximately 30 minutes later they returned as his friend left his house keys in my truck.
    While they were there in my house the girl house sitting for me ,saw smoke coming from the hood of the truck .

David ran out and opened the hood and the flames started coming out of the fuse box area. My son in law quickly hosed it down and disconnected the battery. This took no more than 3 or 4 minutes to get the fire out.
    I just called Nissan Corporation after having seen your post as I have received no recall notices on my vehicles.
    I called 1-800-647-7266 and spoke to Jess who was very pleasant and I asked her if Nissan was going to take any responsibility for this ,as the vehicle was purchased brand new so there were no previous owners.
    I also bought a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder the same year my 19 year old is driving this as she is away in college.
    After this Frontier incident I became concerned that she could get hurt if something like this happened with the Pathfinder.
    I questioned Jess on the Pathfinder first and found that there is a recall on the vehicle. Not sure exactly what the recall is as again no recall notice was sent to me on that vehicle . After having that cleared up I then asked about the frontier.
    I was told by her that there is a recall on the frontier it is the Engine Control Module Relay. I am not sure what that is but will check it out.
    I was told someone from Nissan would be contacting me in the next 2 days and I got file numbers on each vehicle.
    I told her I went to this website and was not pleased with what I had discovered here.
    I have seen a lot of vehicles catching on fire on this website and Nissan seems to be dragging their feet.
    I was very lucky someone was there as my house would have burnt down.
    I told her I would wait to hear what Nissan has to say and depending what they say will determine which way I go forward. By the look of this website we could file a class action lawsuit against Nissan.
    What they are doing is negligent and putting peoples lives at risk. I will keep you posted on what happens in the next 2 days. I don't feel these people should be able to get away with this.
    I
  • viewtokillviewtokill Member Posts: 2
    My Nissan Frontier Caught fire on Friday. I just posted a few minutes ago.
    It is possible that we might have a class action lawsuit that can be filed. I am waiting to see what Nissan says but I am not happy about my truck.
  • foxinsanefoxinsane Member Posts: 1
    My mom's truck (Frontier) caught fire yesterday. She drove from work to home (just under 2 miles), got half way between the vehicle and her front door, and the truck was on fire. It is totaled, and the Fire Chief's initial statement suggests problems with the manufacturing. Have you found out anything more since your episode? There was no history of mechanical issues with her truck.