Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda3 Interior & Passenger Comfort Concerns

Comments

• bruce6bruce6 Member Posts: 29
    Living in San Francisco, my AC rarely has to work hard, even in summer.(For the record, my car is a 2006 5-door, 2.3L, without auto climate control, purchased 1/31/06). But I recently drove from SF to Los Angeles and back, through the central valley in 100-degree, baking sunshine. The car's AC did fine. It didn't make the car frigid, but did make it pleasantly cool -- enough that I had to turn down the fan speed after a while to keep it from getting too cold. Living where I do, I could cope with weak AC, but I'm glad I didn't experience what others have described.
  • kloweklowe Member Posts: 2
    I just had to post about my frustrations with my 3. I bought a used 3 w/ 11K miles, it now has 26K on it. A friend of mine had it on his lot and gave me a good deal. On August 10th, I was driving home from work in the rain so I had the de-fogger on (Compressor running). I heard a belt squeal as if it were slipping and then the AC stopped working. When I arrived at home, I popped the hood and noticed that the compressor smelt like it had burned up. Took it to the local dealership the next morning (on Friday, Aug. 11th). The service clerk said I'd have to make an apointment for Tuesday of the next week (Aug 15). I told him that the AC had burn up. I took the car in and dropped it off the morning of the 15th. I get a call later that day and he proceeds to tell me the AC compressor has burned up and he has to order a new one. Wow, I would think they could have taken 10 minutes to look at it the first day I took it in and made that decision especially since I told them what the problem was. So I wait and finally get a phone call around the 25th that the new compressor is in. I scheduled an appointment for Aug. 28th. Again, I dropped the car off in the morning and left it there. I get a call at work that day and the service clerk proceeds to tell me that they had ordered a compressor for a Mazda6 and not a 3. Arrrrghhh!!! Then, to top that off, he lets me know that the compressor for the 3 is on back order. Well, here it is a month later, and I still haven't heard from the dealership. Obviously, they have major problem. I've had some additional issues w/ the car including the trip meter / radio presets resetting. The battery is fine BTW. I did have the dealership check that out and they found nothing. Additionally, the washer fluid sprayer will not work. I'm not sure if it's the pump not working or if it's just not getting power as I haven't had time to check. I must say, I fell in love with the car when I bought it and my 16 yr. old daughter loves it also :-). I love the way the car drives, rides, and handles. But what gives with all of the small issues with the car? This is my 1st Mazda, and it very well may be my last. I'm considering getting rid of it based on the track record I've had with it so far. I also, currently :-), own a 99 Chevy Silverado, a 2000 Mercury Villager (aka Nissan Quest), a 79 CJ-7 (project vehicle), and a 92 Merc. Tracer (currently disabled).
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    It's possible you got a lemon, or just a few things wrong with your ride...it could be temporary. FWIW, Mazda has been rated poorly by JD Powers on reliability. Your experience with the service department is not uncommon. Of course, watch the Mazda advocates here or Consumer Reports luvers or those with a personal interest jump in and defend Mazda big time.

If you continue to have problems with your Mazda, wait until the 3 year mark or before you trade it in.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I thought someone had determined that the compressor in the Mazda3 and the one in the Mazda6 (2.3L) were one in the same?

I wonder why the backorder?
  • kloweklowe Member Posts: 2
    Hey z71bill. I'm not sure. I do have the 2.3. But that's what I was told by the service dept. :confuse:
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    There seems to be a lot of hostility in these Mazda 3 forums from the same people. Face it guys, some of us got cars without all the drama that some others have. You demonize the company and then have to use snide comments about others that don't agree with you or don't have the same problems as you.
    The point is, y'all have lost alot of your credibility with your attitudes. You get snide and nasty with people who dare don't agree with you...so much for an adult discussion in any Mazda 3 forums. A real shame to...all that negativity makes most of us loose any patience or sympathy for you guys. Pity to, if this is how y'all react to your transportation problems, I'd hate to see how y'all deal with something really life or death.
    Please, try to turn that negative energy into something positive...life's way to short!

Zoom Zoom!

The Sandman :)
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Since you have been waiting a very long time for a fix tell the dealer to take a compressor off another car. Of course they might not do that because they will now have to recharge two systems but if Mazda cared for you as a valued customer they would do it. OK sandman46 shooooot me down...
    you guys??

When I first moved to Texas (from Minnesota) I had several people tell me I sounded like I was from UP NORTH. When I would ask what does someone from up north sound like - I always got the same thing - They would say - What do "you guys" want to do for lunch or what do "you guys" want to do tonight.

I still say it sometimes - even after being a Texan for almost 20 years - last year while back up north some of my old buds gave me all kinds of crap when I said what are y'all doing tonight.

Nothing to do with the defective Mazda3 AC - or the crummy Mazda customer service - but I do see both sides of these issues - just like I am from up north - but sometimes sound like I am from down south.
  • pegasuszzpegasuszz Member Posts: 31
    That's the correct procedure (remove/replace refigerant) to check the a/c charge. The machine that does that also filters out any air or water. While the stuff doesn't wear out, it does leak a little bit and can get contaminated, usually on old sytems where there's a leak. The dealer is not BSing you with this test.
  • poe1poe1 Member Posts: 8
    i know the 2004s had an AC issue, so i purposesly waited for the 05s.

My AC has been ok. It's not near as good as my 95 ford F250s power stroke's AC, but that things AC is TOO cold.

Anways, I live in houston and during the summers i keep the recirculate on and at level 2 for standard driving around. Oh course, levels 3 and 4 are used for initial cooling, but after that 2 does fine.

ALso, tinted windows obviously help a ton.
    poe1, u neglected to mention if your 3 has auto climate control?
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I seriously wonder if the mandatory black interior on most models is a big part of the problem?

I live in Atlanta and I'm very hot natured. I hate the summer heat here and every day when I got in my car to go home from work it was sweltering. Far worse than the gray interior on the Accord I had before it.

But within minutes, it is always cool and comfortable. Never had any passenger complaints either. Maybe I'm just lucky so far?
    NO, the black interior is not a BIG part of the problem, it does make it a little warmer because black absorbs light. Other car companies have a black dash and they don't necessarily have A/C issues.

Ever wonder what that little dome thing on the dash is? It's light sensor for vehicles equiped with auto climate control and those with 2004/2005 models with auto climate don't have a problem.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    I thought the dome thing was for the automatic headlights? Read in my manual that there is something right around where the ignition is that was supposed to sense the auto temp controls? Granted mine is an 07 but they shouldnt be that different should they?
    I thought the same, but no. Try covering it up with a black cloth or another dark object during daylight hours. Mine doesn't go on. I think it was in the Mazda3 online Shop manual that said it was a A/C Light Sensor. There is ANOTHER sensor by the ignition, it's a round oval grill shaped on the console.
  • newbee7newbee7 Member Posts: 30
    I was checking a Mazda 04 3i at an auction site. The car has both the AC and the heater buttons. When I press on the heater button, the small light on the button is turned on. But, when I press on the AC button, the small light on the button is not turned on. Does this mazda has an AC? I don't notice anything else is blowing through the fans, but it could be due to the cold outside temperature.

A huge draw back with auction cars is that I can't test drive them.

The car has cruise control, power windows, power door locks.
    Look under the hood - if it has a compressor then it has AC. If you don't know what a compressor looks like - then look for the condensor - its right in front of the radiator - sort of looks like a small radiator.

Or look under the hood at the firewall - if you see two silver colored metal lines (tubes) one with a cap market with an H (high side) - the other with a cap market with an L (low side) then the car has AC.
  • newbee7newbee7 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks. Now I know what to look for.
  • stallionrestallionre Member Posts: 205
    Ouch!! I think your shoes are too large for this type of set up. The mazda's do have the pedals close together, but it has never been a problem for me, but then again, my shoe size is a 8.5-9. This probably makes a difference. ;)

Sorry for your problems with the pedals. :(
  • mtbmikemtbmike Member Posts: 2
    i'm with you. size 10 here. I find that if i put the seat
    further back (i Prefer :(:( it close, i have a bad left knee and
    it makes clutching easier) i have less tangle up's with my
    feet and the pedals.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    I think it was in the Mazda3 online Shop manual

Where do you find that?

And hi to everyone, I haven't been on here in ages.
    Enjoy, and you're welcome. :)

http://www.midwestcarclub.com/mazda/manual/

BTW, if you have trouble viewing it, use Firefox.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    I live in the desert & in the summer it gets 100+ (but its a dry heat) & when I use the AC is it best to keep the vents open (with it being so hot outside) or to use the recirculate? With my old car, I always kept on recirculate & mildew(?) built up & made the air system stink...
    Thanks in advance!
  • zzoomp09zzoomp09 Member Posts: 32
    I'm having the same problem. I have 10.5 wide shoes and the gas and brake pedals are too close IMO. Plus, I'm not tall so I can't push the seats back too much because it would hurt by back if I tried to push the seats back too far and reach the pedals. But, this M3GT 5dr is really fun to drive!!! :D
    The A/C cannot keep up with the hot air if you have the vents open letting outside air in. Use the recirc button whenever you use the A/C; even then, you may feel the A/C is inadequate.

To prevent or minimize mildew, just shut off your A/C, keep the airflow on and vents open for the last 10 minutes of your drive. However, the mildew smell has never been an issue with any of the 3's I have driven. I cant say that about other cars though.
  • mazdrvrmazdrvr Member Posts: 112
    Thank you!! :) I just wasn't sure because when I had my 01' Protege (the old car) and I went my service advisor about it he told me to keep the vents open... Recently, we have been using the a/c a little and if I have on recirculate then later in the dday when the weather cools off and just recirc the air w/o the a/c it kinda of stinks so thats why I was wondering...
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    ... been using the a/c a little and if I have on recirculate then later in the dday when the weather cools off and just recirc the air w/o the a/c it kinda of stinks ...

To avoid the musty smell, you want to keep the air flowing. So, never turn the fan off (in other words keep it at 1 or higher). As mentioned, to avoid the smell, let the condensation developed by the AC dry off and not accumulate and start creating mold. Running the fan does this. Over the years, there is a greater chance to have mold, so you may want to have someone "clean" the system eventually.
    I think the light sensor is on the windsheild. Right in line with the rear view mirror.
    I think the light sensor is on the windsheild. Right in line with the rear view mirror.

yeah, that's where it is, in the same area as the rain sensors (for the wipers).
    Yup, I just check the sensor and it is right there. Good eye. By the way, a windsheild cost $900.00 for the Mazda 3 GT, since it has all these sensors made on the glass. OUCH!!!
  • oreokieoreokie Member Posts: 5
    I'm 6'3" and wear 13's. There IS a trick to keeping the right foot on the right pedal! I found that keeping the right edge of your right shoe firmly in contact with the carpet does the trick nicely. After 6500 miles I rarely contact the brake pedal anymore.

2007 MS3
    That's exactly what I'm doing. Ever since I learned how to drive, and I learned on a stick, I always firm up the right edge of my right foot on the floor near the gas pedal side. This technique always does the trick for me, but being that the pedals are really closer than what I have driven before, my issue now is that sometimes when I hit the brakes, I accidentally hit the gas pedal too. At least, I got used to stepping on the clutch when I start slowing down and braking. So even though I hit the gas pedal while hitting the brakes, I won't accelerate while braking. :)
  • oreokieoreokie Member Posts: 5
    HEHE I guess you just get to listen to a little extra exhaust note then! :)
    Aboslutely LLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE that sound!!!! :)
  • dh5551212dh5551212 Member Posts: 3
    Is there a way to extend the steering wheel? I have the telescope all the way out already.
    I am 6' tall and have longer than normal 37 inch arms. Even with the ape arms the steering whell is too far away when I am in my normal driving position. Too get where my arms are comfortable I have to move the seat way up so my legs are bent and I constantly have to bend my foot back (this gets tiring) or tilt the seat uncomfortably forward.
    Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions or do I just have to sell the car after a few weeks of ownership and take a massive hit? Thanks everybody.
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    I'm 6' tall as well, though have shorter arms (34-35"), but I find the position of the wheel to be just fine, and I don't have the wheel telescoped all the way towards me. With your long arms, I feel the steering wheel would be too close to you the way I have mine set up. Probably a dumb question, but are you sure you have the steering wheel pulled out towards you as far as possible?
  • dh5551212dh5551212 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Tom,
    Yep, it's all the way out; I pull on that sucker until it makes a loud thump and won't go any further.
    I find it hard to believe with my long arms that it is so uncomfortable too. My VW Passat is perfect, and other people's cars are fine too.
    I do recline a little bit but not like a lowrider or anything.
    Do you have the seat all the way back?
    Do you sit with your back vertical?
  • fshkpr1fshkpr1 Member Posts: 3
    It's fine with me: no problems at all. I would suggest you try to sit a little more straight, which is good for you anyway.......

Vincent
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    I do not have the seat all the way back, though I think I'm about 1 'click' or notch away from it being that far back. I do sit straight up, pretty much vertical.

-Tom
  • pfgiardinopfgiardino Member Posts: 1
    I've been seriously considering getting an '07 3iT sedan, and I noticed they've made a few changes since '06. Firstly, what's with the new shifter? It looks more precise/sporty, but the old one complimented the interior better. The newer one just doesn't seem to belong. Also... the trims. I see a lot of faux wood in pictures. Is that standard on i models or is there a choice?
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    I know these comments were made awhile ago, but I just wanted to point out that the pedals are setup on the Speed3 that way on purpose. This makes it easier to perform "heel n toe" downshifting like "real" race car drivers do. You can research this on the internet, but basically you should hit the gas while downshifting to attempt to match "revs". If you are in 5th gear downshifting to 3rd, you may be going 3000 RPM in 5th, but 5000 RPM in 3rd. You should already have the engine running at 5000 when you release the clutch.

The majority of time that you downshift is when slowing down for a curve, etc. Thus the necessity to hit the brake while hitting the gas to match the "revs".

I practice this constantly because of my race driver fantasy, but I suppose would be an inconvenience for most drivers. Even though if you own a Speed3, it would not be beyond reasoning to think it would interest you. It is a better way to drive, once you get the hang of it. Less stress on the drivetrain.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    I practice this constantly because of my race driver fantasy, but I suppose would be an inconvenience for most drivers. Even though if you own a Speed3, it would not be beyond reasoning to think it would interest you. It is a better way to drive, once you get the hang of it. Less stress on the drivetrain.

I practice the method in all of my manual transmission vehicles- including my 1999 Jeep Wrangler. It keeps me in shape for track events. I also "double-clutch" on downshifts, my goal being to shift as smoothly as a good slushbox.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• johnnyjavelinjohnnyjavelin Member Posts: 1
    I agree! It is one of the poorest designs out there.
    If you're going to put a telescopic wheel in a car it should go from too close to too far. Not from bearly close enough to way too far!
    This is probably the biggest reason I will not keep my Mazda3. The seats are up there on my list too, I'm kind of use to the poor pedal placement by now(30K+miles)
    I actually prefer to drive my 1995 Nissan Quest, which never won any ergonomic awards itself.

JKG
    I agree! It is one of the poorest designs out there.
    If you're going to put a telescopic wheel in a car it should go from too close to too far. Not from bearly(sic) close enough to way too far!

This is the only Mazda 3 forum where I've heard anyone complain about the steering wheel position. It works fine for me.

The seats are up there on my list too

Seriously? The Mazdaspeed3 seats are some of the most comfortable OEMs out there.

I'm kind of use(sic) to the poor pedal placement by now(30K+miles)

See the heel-toe tutorial/discussion above.

I actually prefer to drive my 1995 Nissan Quest, which never won any ergonomic awards itself.

1995 Nissan Quest? You honestly prefer a 12 year old minivan to a true driver's car that has topped numerous top ten lists on both sides of the pond?
    To each his own, I suppose... :confuse:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

1995 Nissan Quest? You honestly prefer a 12 year old minivan to a true driver's car that has topped numerous top ten lists
    Likely those 12 year old seats have been worn into that oh-so-perfect shape.
  • bultmanbultman Member Posts: 2
    I am 6'4" with 37" arms and sz 15 feet and I love my Speed3 setup. I have driven 10 hrs at a time, through the mountains and interstates and am more comfortable when I arrived at my destination than when I drove our 97 LHS. The heel and toe combo is slick and very doable even w/my big feet. I had to accustom myself to the foot feed due to big foot but was no problem. My posture while driving is made to be correct with the reach to the steering wheel and is comfortable. I am 62 yr old fart and I love my Speed3 ZOOM ZOOM
  • mike818mike818 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking into either a 2005 Mazda 3 or Honda Civic. I have heard many rumors about the Mazda 3's defective a/c. Is this true? I live in Arizona, and it gets unbearably hot over here. Also, what if I were to move up to an Accord or 6, since mid-size sedans are safer than compacts right?
    I have heard many rumors about the Mazda 3's defective a/c. Is this true? I live in Arizona, and it gets unbearably hot over here.

My Mazdaspeed3 coped pretty well with the 98F-102F days we had in KY this summer. The automatic climate control tended to keep the system on Recirculate, which helped a lot.

Also, what if I were to move up to an Accord or 6, since mid-size sedans are safer than compacts right?

Not necessarily ; I prefer smaller and lighter vehicles. Two of my other vehicles are over a foot shorter than my Mazda, and the remaining one is only 3 inches longer. I'd go with the 3.

mid-size sedans are safer than compacts

Why not check for yourself on the NHTSA site (www.safercar.gov)? The problem with these types of general statements is that they lead people to think that they need to drive a Hummer or a boat in order to feel safe. For me, a safe car is one that has been properly engineered.

p.s. Consumer Reports (www.consumerreports.org) reports on car safety also
  • mike818mike818 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the reply and links. With smaller and lighter vehicles in mind, why shouldn't I go for the civic coupe? I am a college student so I wont be needing that much extra space.