Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Minivans

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Our 2002 T&C LX w/ 3.3L V6 and 4 speed AT had more than enough power for me while delivering excellent gas mileage. My 06 Sienna 3.3L with 5 speed AT has to shift down 2 gears to 3rd in the same places the 02 T&C 3.3L shifted down only 1 gear to 3rd. Sienna gas mileage on long trips is only marginally better than the T&C was. :shades:
  • maryh3maryh3 Member Posts: 263
    One also should consider that Subaru uses a boxer engine. This type engine mounts lower so it gives the vehicle a lower center of gravity. Should lessen the possibility of SUV roll and gives great traction, especially in snow.

Subaru recently raised the rebate on 07 Tribecas from $2750 to $3500. The 07's do have some drawbacks that the redesigned 08's addressed. But, if I could get a great deal with nice rebate, I'd have a safe, good handling, reliable, versatile vehicle my kids could drive that would be reasonably priced. So far the dealers don't seem to want to deal though. Perhaps as the 09 roll in...............

BTW the Forrester is being redesigned in 09. It will be a little bigger.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    That's interesting, but not particularly relevant because Toyota actually updates their technology and retired the 3.3 in favor of a much stronger 3.5.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    My son has a new 2008 Sienna XLE (he got it for invoice minus holdback). I have driven his van and find it as quick if not quicker than our '06 Odyssey. I still prefer the ride and handling of the Honda but the Toyota is a very well executed mini.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    It may be irrelevant, but still applicable. Our Grand Caravan ES also had the 3.3L, and it was a nice quiet, smooth, and reliable engine. I never felt it was underpowered in any sense, as I could easily keep up with anyone on entrance ramps, or on any freeway. Its two-lane passing capability was also adequate. Many times we loaded all the kids in the van and all the luggage for trips through the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. No problems there either, and during these trips it easily managed 26 to 27MPG fully loaded with the A/C on during summer vacations.

The 3.8L has more torque, for sure, but the 3.3L is adequate for most drivers. I guess I really don't understand how some of you may drive. If you drive conservatively, as all those hauling families around should, the 3.3L is fine.

And, finally, I'll be willing to wager the cost of maintenance on either the 3.3L or 3.8L pushrod engine will be less than the Honda V6 over a span of 150K. Between my brothers and sister, we've owned 6 minivans over the past decade, 3 Dodges and 3 Hondas. At 150K, the Dodges were still running fine, but in each case, the Honda Odys required routine, and somewhat costly, timing belt replacements, one a crankshaft problem, and another engine electrical gremlins. Two of the Honda Odys required transmission replacements prior to 60K and 100K respectively. Contrary to common perception, none of the three Caravan's required transmission work prior to 150K.

Heck, when I sold our 1994 Grand Caravan last year, it was on its original stainless-steel exhaust system and muffler. Not too bad in my opinion!
    I don't bash CR testing methods or their actual test numbers....

It is CR's FLAGRANTLY BIASED written portion that is disgusting. :lemon:

CR sells quite expensive buying techniques to inform people how to save money when purchasing a new vehicle...BUT CR compares vehicles based on MSRP instead of the actual prices people should pay. Can't CR follow their own guidelines on how to save money when purchasing a new vehicle? :confuse:
    Yeah, the Sienna is quicker than the Ody with the new Sienna engine. Its a great powertrain.

Considering the fact that the 3.8 runs a 10.2 second 60 time, the 3.3 is probably close to 11 seconds to 60, which makes its one of the slowest vehicles for sale in the United States.

As for reliablitiy...believe whatever you want. An anectodotal story here and there tells me nothing. For every "my Grand Caravan ran for 150,000 miles" there's a story like my dad's--he had a 1997 Grand Caravan that with about 95k miles (literally) caught on fire. He started it up one day and boom. It was an electrical problem. Melted the dashboard and the fire department came and put the fire out.

(Yes, he still bought another one...)
    My daughter's 1999 GC SE now has 104,110 miles with only a couple of minor problems. It still has original exhaust pipe, catalytic converter, muffler, etc.

My sister's 1986 Caravan SE had 170,000 miles with no problems...and the list of reliable Chrysler minivans goes on and on and on....

The new 3.5L Sienna engine might be terrific but there is much more to a minivan than a powerful engine, a very comfortable driver's seat, and the most cargo space of any minivan.

I will NOT buy another Sienna. :shades:
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Not too many years ago, a 10 to 11 second 0-60 time was considered quite reasonable, even for a 4-door sedan. I don't buy a minivan for 0-60 times, nor do I even place HP as a primary specification when considering any vehicle. Now, if I was buying a Vette or a Ferrarri, I would be more statistically oriented - but, not with a family hauler like a minivan. Arguing 0-60 times for minivans is ludicrous . . .

I don't know if our family experience is anecdotal or not, no more so, or less so, than your dad's '97 Caravan. There are more Chrysler minivans on the road than any other brand; because of this, you may certainly hear more horror stories. In all cases, whether it's a Chrysler, Honda, or Toyota, preventive maintenance is critical, and there are many cases of vehicles running around this country poorly maintained which ultimately leads to poor reliability.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    is CR's FLAGRANTLY BIASED written portion that is disgusting

Why do you say that? Plus, CR seems to match other reviews in magazines and other online reviewers...unless you think they're all biased?
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Dased on exterior and interior styling

1. Town & Country
    2. Honda Odyssey
    3. Dodge Caravan
    4. Toyota Sienna
    5. ALL The Rest
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    I was surprised, but CR says Subaru just passed Toyota in reliability, so maybe I shouldn't be.

What?! Really? Well I guess Toyota owns some of Subaru now.
    October 2007 CR has excellent example of CR bias.

The October 2007 CR Cover has headlines "MAKE YOUR CAR LAST 200,000 MILES" and has a photo of a Honda Civic on the cover (suggesting that Honda's are the cars that last).

On page 20, the 1994 Ford Ranger pickup is the vehicle that has 488,000 miles while the beloved 1995 Honda Civic on page 21 has only 227,000 miles (NOT even HALF the miles of the 1994 Ford Ranger).

On page 19 with NEW for 2008 there is a photo of the Honda Accord that is 4 times as large as the new Chrysler minivan (giving emphasis to their beloved Honda once more).

CR did not even get the Horsepower ratings of the 3 Chrysler engines correct where they state the 3 V6 engines offer 170 to 240 Horsepower when the correct numbers are 175 to 251. ( Is CR afraid to print the Chrysler 4.0L has MORE power than the 244 HP of the 08 Ody LX and EX or the 241 HP of the 08 Ody EX-L and Touring?) :shades:

The Chrysler 4.0L torque of 259 lb-ft @ 4,200 RPM is an even greater advantage over the 240 lb-ft @ 5,000 RPM of 08 Ody LX and EX or 242 lb-ft @ 4900 RPM of the 08 Ody EX-L and Touring while the Chrysler minivans have a 6 speed AT vs 5 speed Ody AT.

CR also writes that the new vans get rear coil springs instead of the trucklike leaf springs implying that the earlier Chrysler minivans are inferior to their beloved Odyssey and then go on to write that the new springs should improve ride comfort although an independent rear suspension would have been better.

The Grand Caravan and Town & Country have always been quieter with a smoother ride than the same year Odyssey. The Odyssey by contrast has superior handling for aggressive driving. :shades:
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    heres a video of a 07 Sienna doing 0-60
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGHYx01pQ1M
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The gauges look no different from yours, hause. I thought they changed with the 3.5L.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    because he had a CE, you don't get the newer gauges unless you get the 07 or 08 LE,XLE, or Limited. i thought the same thing. But the redline is at 6,000RPM i think it was suppose to be @ 6,400. i don't know if thats an 07 for sure though.
    For the 3.5L...

Size, liters/cu. in. 3.5 /211

Horsepower @ rpm. 266 @ 6200

Torque (lb-ft) @ rpm. 245 @ 4700

If the video has a redline at 6,000, he's a fraud.
    It seems to me that the only opinion biased here is yours, against CR.

Opinions are like rectums: everyone has one.
    The "NEW" optitron gauges are standard equipment on the 2006 Sienna LE as well as the 2006 XLE and Limited. Ironically, the old type gauges of the CE are easier on the eyes since they do not reflect glare from sunlight. :shades:

Sad the video shows the fuel and temperature gauges in addition to the speedometer and NOT the tachometer.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    PS..it's funny how some folks who consider themselves "experts" in the automotive field bash CR without even knowing their testing methods until I provided the into.

Ohhh so one needs to know CR's test methods before they can realize how bias CR is!! Makes complete sense.
    Thank you Hans!!!! There are SOOOO many countless examples of biase...every issue!!!! Subliminal images used!!!! Just recently they awarded the Tundra best tow capacity for a pickup truck....blatantly neglecting GM's top engine. One could go on for days on this!!!! CR's only value is for comparison of specs, test data etc....non subjective information.

What I don't understand though, if Chrysler's minivans are sooooo terrible, you'd think after 25 years of building crap, no one would be buying them at all and Chrysler would be belly up by now!!????? Yet I have friends who have had nothing but Chrysler minivans since 1994 - 5 time repeat buyers? I've abused them as company vehicles, and they took it all, so I bought my own personal one when my company switched to Ford Tauruses 3 years back.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    If Chrysler were such bad minivans as some would suggest, people wouldn't buy them and as you can see by my web sight, not only do I own one, but so does my brother and sister. Mine is the white one. We bought them because of the luck my brother has had with his older Plymouth.(Parked in the street.) His is a 2001, mine a 2005 and my sister's is a 2006.

She comes out every year (Arizona) with her family and our younger brother from Ohio. It's a 2,000 trip and none have them complained of the middle seats being uncomfortable.

Stow-N-Go is a great feature. As you can also see in my photos. I can get just about everything I want in my van and don't need to take out the seats. I will have mine three years next month. It has auto everything on it and I haven't had a thing go wrong with it. Brother has only replaced the brakes and a soft plug on his older Plymouth.

Notice I am able to get not only an electric wheel chair in it, but also an electric scooter and my brother too. Try doing that with another minivan as easily as that.
    These vans can carry almost anything and do it well. And they are dependable. If not, we wouldn't have all bought them.

http://www.carspace.com/marine2/Albums/marine2%27s%20Album/

Click on the picture to make them bigger so you can get a good view of what they can do. I usually always keep the passenger's middle seat stowed as it make it very easy to carry things through the side door.
    25 years of building crap, no one would be buying them at all and Chrysler would be belly up by now!!?????

Haven't paid much attention the news lately, have you?

Actually, I don't think the Chrysler minivans are crap. I just think that they're not as good as the Toyota and the Honda. Until this year, they were also CHEAPER than the Toyota and the Honda. You got what you paid for, but that was fine for many people. The last generation Chrysler twins were antiquated compared to the competition, and as a result Chrysler had to apply huge discounts to move them. As I said, in 2006 my father bought a DGC with a $30000 sticker for $21. For HIM, that was a good purchase.

Now, the new vans are much more up to date. The 4.0 V6 is competitive with the rest of the class, as is the transmission. The safety features are also. That's a very good thing. The catch, though, is that right now prices are up...they're going to try to sell these without huge rebates and dealer discounts.

Dollar for dollar, I still don't think they can compete. I think they'll end up applying big discounts to these vans, too, in order to move them. From a quality standpoint, I still don't think they measure up to Toyota and Honda.
    Now, the new vans are much more up to date. The 4.0 V6 is competitive with the rest of the class, as is the transmission. The safety features are also. That's a very good thing. The catch, though, is that right now prices are up...they're going to try to sell these without huge rebates and dealer discounts.

Dollar for dollar, I still don't think they can compete. I think they'll end up applying big discounts to these vans, too, in order to move them. From a quality standpoint, I still don't think they measure up to Toyota and Honda.

I'd say a new V6 and 6 speed auto are more than "competitive" but class leading, Toss in many features not even available at any price like Stow N Go, Swivel N Go, Autostick, LED lighting, entertainment and audio options, keyless start, heated 2nd row seats, YES protection for carpet/seats, illuminated cup holders, Sat TV, then add in the best feartures from other minivans like power 3rd row seats, power sliding door windows, adjustable pedals, HID headlights...you have the best of everything. Don't forget about the best warranty in the industry.

Currently there's a $1000 rebate on the new minivans, build one online and it's automatically deducted. Now think back where the Odyssey came out and the dealer markups. Now many of the imports are offering low financing and "dealer incentives" to be competitive. Most dealers don't/won't tell you about their incentives, you need to consult with Automotive News to find out. I'm sure Chrysler will discount more, it's just standard practice for the domestics, but the vans have only been on the market for 6 weeks roughly?
    I'd say a new V6 and 6 speed auto are more than "competitive" but class leading,

Let's see, lower economy and less accelerative abilities than the Sienna. I'm going to say not class-leading, but certainly competitive.

Currently there's a $1000 rebate on the new minivans, ... but the vans have only been on the market for 6 weeks roughly?

Now think back where the Odyssey came out and the dealer markups

The facts you state don't do much other than indicate demand, which apparently outpaced supply for the Honda and isn't the case for the DCX.

Let's see, lower economy and less accelerative abilities than the Sienna. I'm going to say not class-leading, but certainly competitive.

You're free to think what you want but overall powertrain is class leading. 1 mpg is within tolerance for all minivans, and so is a few 10ths of second in acceleration. I doubt cross shoppers for both would be too concerned. Nice having to see a Honda guy use Toyota stats to make a point :)

I wonder when Honda will bring out a newer tranny. The new MDX is making due with 5 spd and that's a redesigned vehicle, and usually the basis for Ody, Pilot and Ridgeline hardware.

Seeing that the imports are even offering financing and incentives, shows Chrysler is competing quite well, otherwise, why have them??? Someone must be worried in the import HQs.
    Everybody is in trouble financially these days. The housing/finance sector got hammered and lots of people got repos's etc. One would expect the entry level minivan sales to be low. That said both Honda and Chrysler offer rebates on their minis. One would expect Chryslers to be great on their 2007's because it is a major model revision which automatically dates the buyers van. They must rebate high. Honda I believe just upped their hidden dealer incentives from $2000 to $2500. Overproduction and weak market have pushed everybodys sales down. Will it pick up? Probably not for a while.

One can always expect the rebates to increase on the model over time. The problem is that as you wait, you start to hear about what will be new on the next years model, and want the 09 model. Then you wait for the rebates on them too. And on goes the process until you look back and see that those kids you bought the minivan for are all grown up, and you missed the time you could have enjoyed with them in a minivan.

Rebates on Chryslers change with location. Mine was $1500. I bought now because we plan to travel alot over X-mas and the new playground 08 minivan with cushy suspension is worth the possible savings I might have had I waited.
  • carcom2carcom2 Member Posts: 212
    Has anyone driven the T&C or DC with just the 2nd row windows down?

I tried doing that with the Honda Od. and thought my eardrums would explode. It was impossible to drive with just the 2nd row windows down. Had to crack open a front row window to get rid of the buffeting effect - the worse I've ever experienced. Extremely bad (and I'm not at all exagerating). The Honda 3rd row windows do not open - what a mistake. It may have been the 2007 model but don't think the styling changed for 2008 to make a difference. I mentioned that to the Honda salesman at the car show and he said his Honda Pilot does the same awful thing.
    So for those of you with passengers that like the second row windows down - I'ld like to hear what you've experienced.
    Has anyone driven the T&C or DC with just the 2nd row windows down?

I never saw the attraction but then I don't have children. I've always hated driving around with windows down because of the buffeting/noise. I've found I get good air flow and less noise with sunroof and rear windows vented.

I do have a friend who had a Mazda minivan. He was driving thru a construction zone, and his dog jumped thru the window and was struck by another car and killed. Be careful!!!
  • roberts5roberts5 Member Posts: 35
    We got our first Odyssey back in 1999. We replaced it with a 2006 Odyssey last August. We looked at the Sienna, but my wife, the primary driver, wanted to stay with Honda. For the fourth year, 2002, Honda added more power to the Odyssey. With 2008 being the fourth year for this model, I was hoping for more power. Acura now has a 3.7L V-6 in their SUV. Might Honda tranplant this into the Odyssey for 2009? I would also appreciate a 6 speed transmission, with the 3-4-6 setup. Hopefully Honda will hear that we would appreciate getting as many miles out of every gallon of fuel and enough power to stay out of trouble and/or pull the WVA mountains without racing the engine. What might Honda have in store for us in 2009?
    Acura now has a 3.7L V-6 in their SUV. Might Honda tranplant this into the Odyssey for 2009?

I'd bet you money that it WILL NOT HAPPEN. Acura is the flagship marque of the Honda line. Honda would shoot itself in the foot to offer the same engine that is exclusive to its most expensive ($41k-$47k) SUV in the plebian mommy-mobile mini in the lineup ($25k+).
    I'd bet you money that it WILL NOT HAPPEN. Acura is the flagship marque of the Honda line. Honda would shoot itself in the foot to offer the same engine that is exclusive to its most expensive ($41k-$47k) SUV in the plebian mommy-mobile mini in the lineup ($25k+).

I agree, they may bump hp to 260hp or something, but they'd never give Honda the same hp as an MDX. Besides, hp in 250 range should be acceptable for all but the most lead footed amongst us, especially when you consider what gas prices are doing.
    There are NO incentives on the 2008 Odyssey. There was a $2,000 factory to dealer incentive on the 2007 models.

The 2008 Odyssey does have some major changes such as the second generation VCM engine that can now turn off 2 or 3 cylinders. There is standard on certain models a rear view mirror backup camera.

I am certain if Honda or Toyota felt a 20 speed AT was required it would be sold. Look at the 8 speed in the Lexus.

You can say what you will (and you will) about Chrysler's build quality and fit and finish but the facts do not support you.

Blather on about how great your van is but I'll tell you my Grand Caravan (obtained through Owner's Arbitration with Chrysler because of another lemon) started falling apart soon after it left the showroom. My Odyssey has 37,000 trouble free miles so far and has been the most reliable car I have owned since I started buying cars n 1965.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    You can say what you will (and you will) about Chrysler's build quality and fit and finish but the facts do not support you.

Blather on about how great your van is but I'll tell you my Grand Caravan (obtained through Owner's Arbitration with Chrysler because of another lemon) started falling apart soon after it left the showroom. My Odyssey has 37,000 trouble free miles so far and has been the most reliable car I have owned since I started buying cars n 1965.

Well the fact that there are three Dodge minivans in our family say they must be pretty reliable or we wouldn't buy them. My brother traded that 2001, I showed in those pictures, in for a 2007, and only put brakes and a soft plug in the old one. Mine is a 2005 with power everything and nothing has gone wrong in three years (next month) of owning it. Sis has had nothing go wrong with her 2006 and she has made two trips out here in Arizona from Ohio with it already.(With those uncomfortable seats you guys say it's got.)

There is no minivan on the market besides Dodge/Chrysler that is so versatile and has as much storage in it.

I was a truck owner before buying my first minivan. Stow-N-Go is the reason I got rid of my truck. I can carry more, store more and get better mileage than I could with my truck. And have all the conveniences of a luxury car with soft power seats, power lift gate and power side doors. Three way A/C, cruise control, computer that gives me directions, opens my garage door, tells me the temp and fuel economy and I am ready in a minutes notice to haul either seven passengers or a chest of drawers I picked up at park and swap, without going home and taking seats out.

I love my van and if you like Toyota or Honda, go for it. They are both excellent people movers. But they can't do what I bought my minivan to do.
    Then be happy and quit ripping on everybody else's different choice. We aren't less educated, less intelligent, less experienced, less well researched, or foolishly loyal. Our tastes, experiences, observations, needs and wants led us to chose differently.

I'm looking forward to receiving my new 08 T&C and so are my kids. Have a long trip planned for X-mas, a ski trip planned in Jan, and a long trip planned with the boy scouts in Feb. If my experience with this T&C is as excellent as my last I couldn't ask for anything else. May you have the same experience as me.
    Does the DGC or CTC have Stability Control standard now? Seems like I'd want that on a ski trip!
    There are NO incentives on the 2008 Odyssey. There was a $2,000 factory to dealer incentive on the 2007 models.

If you look at Honda's website, there's special lease deals on the 2008s, special financing on the 2007s, and who knows what dealer incentives are on them. I haven't seen a Automotive News in a few weeks, which is a good source for everyone's rebates, incentives etc...(very rear of mag)....Anyone looking for a minivan should check it out, they're in all Borders and Barnes and Noble book stores.

The 2008 Odyssey does have some major changes such as the second generation VCM engine that can now turn off 2 or 3 cylinders. There is standard on certain models a rear view mirror backup camera.

Turning off 2 or 3 cylinders is more of a programming change in the engine control module, not really that major. I've heard the "mirror backup cameras" aren't the better design because the viewing screen in very small and if you use reading glasses, good luck tilting your head up enough to see image also.

I am certain if Honda or Toyota felt a 20 speed AT was required it would be sold. Look at the 8 speed in the Lexus. Any manufacturer would, if the market wanted it. Look at how the Big three are quickly incorporating 6 spds....SUVs, Minivans, Cars....

You can say what you will (and you will) about Chrysler's build quality and fit and finish but the facts do not support you. The personal experience of myself, my family and friends do support me, I don't need little black dots to sleep at nights, and I don't need to worry about other's OEM's quality like you seem to be.

Blather on about how great your van is but I'll tell you my Grand Caravan (obtained through Owner's Arbitration with Chrysler because of another lemon) started falling apart soon after it left the showroom.

Yeah, I'm sure as soon as you drove off the lot the engine blew up, tranny locked up and it was terrible, and these things NEVER happen to any other brand, especially not Honda.

My Odyssey has 37,000 trouble free miles so far and has been the most reliable car I have owned since I started buying cars n 1965.

Good for you! My 2005 Caravan with 22k has been completely trouble free also, my coworker has a 2003 with 114k trouble free miles on it - a company vehicle, base 3.3 that he abuses. I've had a number of base Caravan for company cars that I've racked up 80k-90k miles on.....trouble free except for a bad gas strut. I have friends back in PA, on their 5th generation minivan from Chrysler, never any major problems. I love people who get a lemon and forever are tainted, then the blinders go on and that's it - no more brand A. I'll probably be in market this coming summer for something new. I'll look at all three minivans, but also GM's CUVs with their 4500lb tow capacity which is important to me.
    Does the DGC or CTC have Stability Control standard now? Seems like I'd want that on a ski trip!

LOL, you are so funny, like you'd ever even test drive one!! But yes, Stability Control with Brake assist and traction control is standard across all Chrysler minivans. If I were going on a ski trip, I'd want AWD with stability control.
    Not sure but I believe it has had stability control for a while. Even my old 2000 even has traction control -- not ESC but a forerunner.

Funny you should comment. Took that ski trip every year I've had my 2000 T&C van. Last year was perhaps the worst ice storm, MLK weekend. No problems. Went to Colorado one year -- so bad they closed the highway shortly behind us -- no problem. What can I say? In that minivan envy others have we now have to justify our snow traction before purchase. This is indeed enjoyable. Perhaps I should be glad my DCX van didn't "blow up" like others have. Wonder why I take these comments with a grain of salt?
    Ha, I was asking regarding Mary's trip. And, I'm glad to hear Chrysler is now back in the pack for safety features; everyone keeping up with everyone helps keep all players involved on top of their game. Having driven the Odyssey in a hailstorm on a trip to Oklahoma (they get big-time hail out there!) I was glad to have VSA keeping me on track because things got awful slick. Remember, the city I live in hasn't had appreciable snowfall since 2000, so I've never driven in it! That's something I really can't help regarding my inexperience. My Accord doesn't have VSA, and while I wish it did, I haven't wrecked because of that either. I was just curious as to whether or not Chrysler was stepping up their game to match its competitors.

I wouldn't test-drive one as a single 20 year-old guy (don't need anything that big!), that's true, but I do drive a van pretty often, and learned to drive and park in a minivan as well.
    My friend has the 2002 AWD T&C Limited -- no longer can get it (100K -- no problems of course) I told her to hang on to it. Wish they made AWD now. Perhaps they will do so in the swivel n go package of the future now that stow n go isn't the only option.
    What can I say? In that minivan envy others have we now have to justify our snow traction before purchase.

Oh yeah, I was definitely trying to get your goat because I'm jealous of your van. :confuse: :sick: I'm a 20 year old single guy with little need for cargo/people carrying; trust me, there's no minivan envy. I'm not trying to be confrontational when I ask questions, why do you insist on being so?
    I'm glad to hear Chrysler is now back in the pack for safety features; everyone keeping up with everyone helps keep all players involved on top of their game.

You may not realize this, but it takes years to design an automobile. Just because someone designs a new gee whiz gizmo, doesn't mean it appears instantly. I'm working on 2011 and 2012 modules now. Everyone has design cycles to work thru and you just can't toss features in next model year, they usually happen with major redesigns like the new Chryslers.
    Actually I'm just getting your goat too. I'm really am confident in my choice, got a great price and know its a good product. Can't beat that warranty either. I post because I find all this humorous and hope others do too.
    "You may not realize this, but it takes years to design an automobile. Just because someone designs a new gee whiz gizmo, doesn't mean it appears instantly. I'm working on 2011 and 2012 modules now. Everyone has design cycles to work thru and you just can't toss features in next model year, they usually happen with major redesigns like the new Chryslers."

And those that pioneer usually don't get it right the first time. But the competitiors have their standard but imperfect design to use and improve upon. And they don't have to spend the $$ for the original imperfect design.
    Of course, I understand this. Although it can be done (Stability Control was not standard on the prev. gen. Accord, but was added somewhere around 2005 to the V6 models which was not a mid-cycle change or a full refresh). It took a full redesign to get it in all Accord models, and I suspect that they followed Hyundai's lead in doing so. Somebody has to be first to introduce a feature; there's no shame in not having it yet. Remember the days before the 4-door minivan? Before any of the seats folded into the floor? Power doors and tailgates?

Somebody was first to get these, and somebody was last to get them. Chrysler led the way on lots of things; I wasn't trying to pick on Chrysler when I asked the question.
    But the competitiors have their standard but imperfect design to use and improve upon. And they don't have to spend the $$ for the original imperfect design.

Fill me on in the imperfections, please.

I've never experienced a problem with these 'imperfect' designs you talk about, and I've driven the first year for an Odyssey to have Stability Control, we've had one of the only vans at the time (apart from Mazda MPV) with a magic 3rd-Row seat. We've had some of the first available engines with Variable Valve Timing and never experienced a problem from these.
    I was being sarcastic when I said "getting your goat."

You ought to be confident when spending $ on a new vehicle. I'm glad you are and are happy with your choice. That's the whole purpose of all of this is making a choice that suits the person buying.
This discussion has been closed.