Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Minivans

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    That's right. Thanks for the reminder that we all share the same idea of value. Sheesh, I can't believe I had forgotten that.

Opps, Sorry......but all the previous items stand i.e.. best warranty, flexibility in options and seating configs.....
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    in options and seating configs.....

If you haul a lot of cargo, yep. If you are like my great aunt and take my grandmother, me, and my parents a lot of places and don't want to scoot to the back row, the Odyssey offers 5-passenger seating in the first two rows. The DCX does not. For driving around Birmingham this weekend while my folks were in town, we did this with no problem.

So, again, best flexibility for you, not for everyone.
    If you haul a lot of cargo, yep. If you are like my great aunt and take my grandmother, me, and my parents a lot of places and don't want to scoot to the back row, the Odyssey offers 5-passenger seating in the first two rows. The DCX does not. For driving around Birmingham this weekend while my folks were in town, we did this with no problem.

As I've conceded....8 passenger seating is about it. If you have specific needs, you usually think of it prior to buying a vehicle. You don't buy a Focus hoping to pull your 5000lb camper with it.

I think I used "MOST Flexible options and seating configs".....

Maybe your priority is flexible interior for camping, yard sales or a business, where one day you're carrying cases of wine, the next family - Chrysler (unless you like removing and installing seats). Maybe you're a growing family with mulitple child seats to move from vehicle to vehicle, no other minivans offers built in booster seats - Chrysler. Maybe comfort is priority, and you like heated seats for front and middle passengers - Chrysler. Maybe easy access in and out of minvan, perhaps seats the swivel 90 degrees - Chrysler. Maybe your family is involved in kids soccer and football and you tailgate - Chrysler

As for options..... Maybe you live in an extreme hot or cold climate, remote start is desireable - Chrysler. Maybe you're elderly and on a budget, you have problems opening and closing the rear hatch. You can only get that on a $40 Ody Touring....Ouch. Chrysler offers it as an option on all but the most base minivans. Same with adjustable pedals. Maybe driving at night is a concern....you like auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors, pin spot LED lighting etc... - Chrysler. A buyer has the most flexibility in customizing their minvans with a Chrysler.....kinda hard to dispute it, unless one wants to quibble with seat comfort or toe space.
    I think I used "MOST Flexible options and seating configs".....

It sounds like I'm nit-picking, but most flexible isn't always "best" as you implied in the post I replied to. Chrysler does have the most options, that's for sure. And that's a point in their favor for LOTS of people. I'm not debating that, as Chrysler really rules in that department.

You can only get that on a $40 Ody Touring.

I wish an Odyssey Touring only cost forty bucks! :) I find it interesting that Honda made NAV and RES standard on the Touring, eliminating the lower-cost Touring options. used to, you could get a Touring Odyssey about the same price as an EX-L with NAV and RES. That's another point away from the Odyssey.

I never intended to dispute Chrysler's superior option packaging (or rather, their lack therof). They win in that respect.

Chrysler does drop off in one area of packaging though. In the Toyota, having a smooth, multivalve, competitive engine with good hp costs $24k or so MSRP. In Honda, that's $25k or $26k. In a Chrysler, that option costs $36k MSRP. With an engine being what actually keeps an automobile from being a buggy, I'd say that's a pretty big detriment.

That raises a question... why has horsepower gone the wrong direction in the 3.8L from Chrysler? It started at 215. After corrections from the SAE, it dropped by 10 to 205 (a similar drop to the Odyssey). Now it is below 200hp. In a 4600lb vehicle, that doesn't seem like very much, especially when compared to modern competition.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    Go back and search for "rebates" and you will come up with a bunch of mentions.
    An easy way to end this "mine is worth more than yours" is to go to the Carmax web site and look at the values of a 2006 Odyssey LX and a 2006 Grand Caravan SXT. The Honda's resale value on that site is $11,000 more. Even if the GC sold for about $3,000 less, the Honda is still worth $8,000 more after two years and a whole lot more 3+ years down the road.

Carmax does not have the least expensive used cars but it is indicative of the pricing difference.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Chrysler IS FAR AHEAD of Honda and Toyota in offering a feature that was formerly had on only LUXURY vehicles: separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger available on ALL but the least expensive GC or T&C.

To get this desireable feature one has to get the Ody EX (MSRP $ 29,290) or a Sienna XLE (MSRP well above $30,000).

Each manufacturer places emphasis on different features. For my wife and myself, individual temperature comfort is more important than rapid acceleration. :shades:
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    You can get a Sienna XLE with the dvd package for $29,500 in my area. A fully loaded limited is $35,000.
  • hause7hause7 Member Posts: 153
    we had an 05 T&C and it was quiet but our 04 Sienna Limited is quieter.
    Your information is inaccurate. The MSRP for the T&C Touring containing the tri-zone HVAC is $28,430. Presently Chrysler LLC is offering a $1,000 "discount".

The MSRP for the Odyssey EX with tri-zone HVAC is $28,960. For this price you also get a tilt and telescoping steering column and daytime running lights.

The above information was taken from each vehicle's official website.

Do we continue this discussion with a list of every feature? Can't we just say each van has its own individual features?
    In 2002, it was redesigned with a five gear automatic transmission,

Just to quibble here..... This wasn't a true five speed auto, but a 4 speed with overdrive, but Honda marketed as such. The real 5 spd came in 2005 MY with the current redesign. I remember reading this in some auto engineering rags we get at the office.
    To get this desireable feature one has to get the Ody EX (MSRP $ 29,290) or a Sienna XLE (MSRP well above $30,000).

What I found odd looking at an ody last week (leftover Touring and O8 EX-L) was something as simple as "miles to empty" readout on driver display isn't standard on lessor non touring models. This is programming of software, it's free if you design it properly, same with battery saver - a nickel capacitor and resistor circuit....something domestics provide without thinking, it's a giveme!!
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    When it comes to purchase price, I'd say that both the Odyssey and Sienna will cost more than the T&C by a few thousand because of the generally higher domestic incentives, plus the laws of supply and demand. And the depreciation is more for the T&C too. If I were to buy a T&C, I'd never buy new because you could buy a one year old model at a huge discount. The Odyssey/Sienna hold their value better, so for those I'd buy new. To me, buying a T&C new and trading it in every 3-5 years would be financially crazy. There are a lot of ways to look at vehicle price beyond the option list.
    Very well said. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, same model year CLLC vans sell used for $11,000 - $12,000 here in San Antonio. These vans cost $23,000 - $25,000 new a few months before. Unlike other companies, the CLLC "Lifetime Warranty" is NOT transferable to a new owner.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    I agree with that logic...and if you can get a Odyssey or Sienna at a big, Chrysler-esque discount, like you can right now with the Honda, so much the better. My Ody EX-L carried a $6996 discount.
    Would you mind telling us the difference?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Very good point, and furthermore someone just got a quote for an Ody EX at $23k.

I can't believe the $25,294 for an EX-L, that's Grand Theft Auto! Great deal!

In May I was quoted $29,052 for the same van! :surprise:
    Someone asked earlier, so I'll answer.

For me, the answer is ALL THE TIME, because when you can sit 3 across in the middle row, comfortably as you can in the Sienna, you often don't need the 3rd row.

So noone is punished and thrown in the dungeon (i.e. 3rd row), instead they can all sit side-by-side in the 2nd row, with front row seats to the DVD movie.

Access is easier to the middle of the 2nd row than it is to the 3rd row, also, so you load and unload much quicker. My kids can have the nanny sit next to them, or one friend can come along.

If they bring 2 friends, no problem, in that case we sit 2+2+2, and again, each of my 2 kids sits right next to their friend. The middle seat folds flat into a table, and that clears the view for the movie for viewers in the 3rd row.

This way you NEVER end up with one kid having to sit alone.

Perfect. Ideal. No compromising.

With 2 seats in the middle row you can do Paper-Rock-Scissors and the loser has to sit in the back.

The Ody can seat 8 in a pinch, but the Sienna's seat is much wider. Not just the middle seat itself, but also the outward seats are set farther apart.

I haven't measured, but the Sienna's cargo area is about 4" wider than the Ody's, and I bet the 2nd row seats on the 8 seat model have at least the same advantage - i.e. at least 4" wider in total than the Ody's 2nd row.

I'll measure next time I see an Ody in person. Measure from the total seat width if you own an Ody, if you feel up to it.

This is not a deal-killer by any means, but if you have 3 kids or carry 5 people often the Sienna 8 passenger model is the easiest way to do it. :shades:
  • maryh3maryh3 Member Posts: 263
    Seems everybody has a crystal ball when it comes to predicting the future value of vans. But of course everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Perhaps somebody with personal experience will show how wrong this can be.

Originally purchased a 2000 T&C LXI in June 2000. Had a rebate plus dealer came down for $23500. In June 2000 the Odyssey was HOT. The base model was selling for 26500. I wanted the base model because 2 friends who owned the upper model were having problems with the power sliding doors. Even though my LXI definitely had more goodies on it the only difference I will note that was available on the Odyssey was leather which cost $28500. My decision was between a better equipped leather LXI for 23500 or a leather LX Odyssey for $28500.

So in 2000 I saved $5000. My vehicle has had minimal repair. Other than maintainance I had 1 repair, a fuel pump at 167,000 for $550. Now at 172K, the difference between the 2 is roughly $1000 according to KBB. I am roughly $3500 ahead -- if and only if the Odyssey had required zero repairs which, given the history of its transmissions, seems unlikely.

CR's predicted the reliabilty of the Chrysler as vastly inferior to the Odyssey. Guess who was wrong? Who in the heck could possibly predict the reliabilty of a new model vehicle for a company known for making small cars?

Quit predicting the future. Years ago who would have predicted $2500 rebates for Odysseys either? A $2500 rebate on an Odyssey isn't bad, but I believe any 2007 T&C offers a $5000 dealer incentive right now. In general I believe a similarly equipped 07 T&C will be a couple thousand less than the Odyssey which definitely is reflected in resale numbers -- because they paid less in the first place. And these newer rebates for Odysseys will effect their future resale value too.

The majority of the media is Liberals. Consumer Reports seems to be no different and will recommend companies who seems to support typical the Liberal agenda. Do your own observations.

My $3500 savings from years ago is still paying off. Need to replace 2 tires and notced I had a full sized unused Michelin OE spare. Continues to save me $$ as I need to buy only 1 now.
    And if 4 kids all bring friends -- an Econoline would have been better.
    Your sample size of one (1) is too small to be scientifically significant.

CR uses much larger sample sizes.
    My decision was between a better equipped leather LXI for 23500 or a leather LX Odyssey for $28500.

Wow, buying from a dealer who was putting aftermarket leather in their vehicles, no wonder the price was so astronomical. They can charge a lot more than an auto manufacturer would for leather. I wouldn't have used that Honda dealer.

yeah probably 100
    Even if it is, that's 100 times bigger than Mary's sample.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/resultsb.asp?Search=NEW&ID=C358762&photo=CH07RSY- S53&loc=LFC&mall=GA&year=2007&mk_code=CH

Here's a 2007 T&C Limited for $29k.

The T&C Limited isn't much better equpped than the Ody EX-L for 2007, so no, the T&C isn't several thousand cheaper.

But you're missing the larger point---its an inferior vehicle, and I don't see how any with a straight face could argue otherwse when comparing the current gen Ody vs. the previous gen Chrysler twins. Put the two vans next to each other and its not close.
    Your sample size of one (1) is too small to be scientifically significant.

But I believe mine to be much more honest.
    Your opinion of inferior or superior is subjective. However, when comparing resale vales based upon KBB numbers, the model years must be the same.
    Of course. I believe me, and you believe you, but a third party is likely more objective than an owner, even if not entirely objective as some claim (I'm not taking a stand on the issue as I don't subscribe to CR).
    How about
    " just bought an '07 Chrysler T&C Spring Special Edition Turing with the DVD and Tow prep package (leather, etc.) with an MSRP of $35,500 for $26000. The Dodge dealer down the street put a crazy price of $23,999 on a Dodge Grand Caravan (with a few less features) so I figured I would head two doors down and see what was available. I really was looking forward to buying an '08 but I couldn't justify the extra 10 grand.

The T&C Limited is the equivalent of the Odyssey Touring. Your EX model is the equivalent of the T&C touring. Hondas top of the line name -- Touring is Chrylsers middle of the road line name -- Touring.
    Wow, buying from a dealer who was putting aftermarket leather in their vehicles, no wonder the price was so astronomical.

That's was a major drawback for me buying an Ody years ago. I needed a tow package - Chrysler and Toyota are factory installed, whereas Honda's is dealer. I'd heard horror tales about after market tow packages.....leaking lines etc... and the price was out of this world. Back then the dealer wanted $1500 and that didn't include suspension bits, or HD electrical or wiring harness, Chrysler's was $425 and included everything but the hitch bar. Toyota's is standard on all but the most base model, and includes the basics - not bad.

Keep away from Dealer Installs, they're just profit items.
    "Of course. I believe me, and you believe you, but a third party is likely more objective than an owner, even if not entirely objective as some claim (I'm not taking a stand on the issue as I don't subscribe to CR)."

Since when is CR psychic? NOBODY -- even a so-called objective 3rd party can predict future resale valeus or reliability.

Wish my husband did not read CR because he influenced me NOT to get the AWD version based upon the CR dots. Now they don't make one and my observation of their reliabilty differs greatly from their prediction from 2000. Hindsight is better than foresight.
    Since when is CR psychic? NOBODY -- even a so-called objective 3rd party can predict future resale valeus or reliability.

Nor can you, but I'll take the opinions of many people who have owned vehicles over just one opinion. My predictions are that CR will be right more often than my or your biased predictions will.

Now they don't make one and my observation of their reliabilty differs greatly from their prediction from 2000.

I'm willing to bet money that you don't know the service and repair histories of 100+ DCX AWD vans. Now who's psychic? :) Just playing.

Let's drop the CR and get back to the topic at hand, shall we?
    Wow, buying from a dealer who was putting aftermarket leather in their vehicles, no wonder the price was so astronomical. They can charge a lot more than an auto manufacturer would for leather. I wouldn't have used that Honda dealer.

You are correct, it was after market. But that is what we all had to deal with. A good dealer make a huge difference. Nonetheless T&C buyers are just a sharp, informed and researched as Odyssey buyers.

I found out about my full sized spare because my vewhicle was thumping when I went over bumps. With a big trip planned and the chance my new vehicle would not come in on time I had it checked out by a close dealer who I don't particularly like. He said "new bushing and linkages -- $400". Went to Midas who physically showed me the tight linkages and bushings and said they did not need replacement. We looked further and saw that my spare tire up underneather was loose and wobbling -- and that was the cause of the thumping. Cost $0.

You must trust your dealer.
    "I'm willing to bet money that you don't know the service and repair histories of 100+ DCX AWD vans. Now who's psychic? Just playing. "

My post said my OBSERVATIONS, which I consider more accurate because I am looking out for me and my family without any outside interests more than anybody else will ever do.

That said I'll admit I was not into the 07 T&C because side airbags were not standard in that model, but a $600 (?) upgrade. Some of those on the lot do not include side curtain airbags and I don't think they can be added aftermarket.
    Here's a 2007 T&C Limited for $29k.

The T&C Limited isn't much better equpped than the Ody EX-L for 2007, so no, the T&C isn't several thousand cheaper.

But you're missing the larger point---its an inferior vehicle, and I don't see how any with a straight face could argue otherwse when comparing the current gen Ody vs. the previous gen Chrysler twins. Put the two vans next to each other and its not close.

This is a pointless game using dealer ads. I actually called and talked to a Len Baker there..... he steered me to a 2008 Touring with Leather, dual screen RES for same price, he said he can do a little better on the 07 as there's now additional dealer's cash? Even so, the Chrysler has many things not even on the Ody...like Nav, adjustable pedals, power everything, warranty.
    Who do you personally know in the "media"? I have a very CLOSE personal connection to the "media" and I can assure you that the person and all their colleagues are quite conservative. If this were not the case we would be out of Iraq because the "media" would have driven the moron in the White House back here to Texas to the village that is missing its idiot.

What value does any vehicle have after eight years?
    Where are you getting your false information concerning Odyssey rebates? There currently are NO Odyssey rebates. Check your facts before you post.
    Where are you getting your false information concerning Odyssey rebates? There currently are NO Odyssey rebates. Check your facts before you post.

You might want to reread posts 806, 810 and 812 on this thread. The $2000 rebate or, as you prefer, "dealer incentive" has been there for a while - at least since late August when I was looking. It was only $2000 then and went up recently to $2500. Go read the "Prices paid and Buying Experiences -- Odyssey" thread

As they said on that thread - "buying of used Odysseys may not be such a good idea right now since you can get such good prices on the new ones". It is inevitable that this WILL effect resale values. I'm glad these posters are getting good prices because their resales value may be effected by the usual supply/demand rules in the future.
    "Who do you personally know in the "media"? I have a very CLOSE personal connection to the "media" and I can assure you that the person and all their colleagues are quite conservative. If this were not the case we would be out of Iraq because the "media" would have driven the moron in the White House back here to Texas to the village that is missing its idiot.

Liberal bias -MSNBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, NPR, NYTimes, Newsweek, Time, USNewsReport, CONSUMER REPORTS (IMO) etc

Conservative Bias -- FOX, NYPost, USToday etc.

"What value does any vehicle have after eight years?"

You might want to use the easy KBB available online to research. If YOU consider 3 years as the only valid time for resales values to matter you cut out most of the auto sale market. Nonetheless, that is your purogative.
    We very closely compared the 2006 Sienna LE 7 passenger and LE 8 passenger when the Toyota dealer had each sitting side by side with same Natural White Exterior and Taupe Interior.

The 2nd row seats of the 8 passenger Sienna have NO ARMRESTS which makes them UNCOMFORTABLE ALL THE TIME for 2nd row passengers.

The 2nd row middle seat of the Odyssey is MORE COMFORTABLE for me than the 2nd row middle seat of the Sienna 8 passenger. ALL of the Odyssey seats but the driver's seat are MORE comfortable for me than those of the Sienna. The Odyssey has the BEST idea for 8 passenger seating of all current minivans. ;)

The Sienna has THE MOST cargo space behind 3rd row of all minivans by a large margin. The Sienna cloth interior has the MOST Attractive door panels of any minivan with cloth interior. The Sienna also gets the best (or tied for best) fuel economy of all V6 powered minivans and is the ONLY minivan with P-R-N-D-4-3-2-L where the driver can have the transmission shift no higher than any of the 5 forward speeds. :shades:

As stated by others many times, each minivan has advantages.
    artgpo and ateixeira are the only ones talking sense in this forum.
    I agree that maryh3 sample size is MORE HONEST than CR.

My daughter's 1999 GC SE had 104,322 last week and it has had very few repairs. She likes it MUCH BETTER than my 2006 Sienna LE that now has 18,668 miles. ;)
    As I suspected, you have no direct connection to the "media" and use someone's opinion as yours.
    To say that "My daughter's 1999 GC SE had 104,322 last week and it has had very few repairs." can be misleading. It is like me saying my 1994 GC had very few repairs, i.e. transmission, a/c system all in the first 30,000 miles.

Consumer Reports is still the gold standard for unbiased evaluations as they except no advertising and actually buy their test vehicles on the open market. Just because a couple of people on here say it isn't so does not make it that way.
    http://www.edmunds.com/chrysler/townandcountry/2008/consumerreview.html

Vehicle
    2008 Chrysler Town and Country Limited 4dr Ext Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)
    Review
    The performance is horrible, and I wish I didn't buy this car. Gas mpg is horrible with the big iron block 4.0 liter. Iv'e had this van for 1 month and I have had constant problems. The transmission is very sluggish and the swivel and go seats are very unsafe. My friend got in a crash with her kids in a 2008. the seats were swiveld and her kids got serious whiplash. I want to trade it in when lease is up for a new Honda Odyssey. I don't like the the power doors, because my son got his finger stuck and door did not reverse. So let me tell you what has happened in 1 month. My car gets horrible gas milage, my sons finger is severly bruised and my friends daughters have whiplash. Don't buy this!
    Your point, sir?
    CR is one of the MOST BIASED, UNreliable sources of information for vehicles. :lemon:

The October 2007 Issue is an excellent example of their blatant bias against Chrysler and other American labels.
    And what about all the other products CR tests? Everything is biased?

I do have a very simple solution: Do not read this magazine or watch any of the frequent reports mentioned on the TV news.
    I stopped subscribing to CR a LONG time ago but occasionally read it to help me identify features of various items they test such as the various formats for MP3 players.

I rip up every mailing offering a subscription to CR as quickly as deceptive advertising for politicians. :lemon:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...we have a discussion about Consumer Reports in the Smart Shopper forum. Comments: Consumer Reports/JD Power Rankings Please go there to discuss CR's credibility.

AND, over in the Off Topic Chatter forum, there is a discussion on Politics.

The topic here is comparing the 2008 minivans and that's it.

Thanks for your cooperation!
This discussion has been closed.