Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Base or Sport

kandyrkandyr Member Posts: 6
I am so close to purchasing the RAV4...but I've only driven the base model. (I first drove a 2008 Escape and then the CRV. The oil seal thing with the CRV made me run) No RAV4 sport models in my area to drive this past weekend. According to pictures, I like the sport's look better. Anyone who could give me some insight on the differences between the Base and Sport (each 4 cyl) would be appreciated. By the way, I'm 55 and I'll be driving to and from work...not really interested in the technical components...looks are important. It's like they say....a woman looks at a car as an accessory...sort of like a purse. (I can't afford the Limited.) Thanks so much you guys! I have really enjoyed these forums.

Comments

• swcoloradoswcolorado Member Posts: 9
    I have the V6 4X4 Sport, and I sometimes park next to a 2007 base model in the gym parking lot. There's a fair amount of difference in appearance, and an uninformed passerby would think they were two different makes of vehicle. The Sport is higher off ground, the flares give it a more muscular 'stance' and the wheels and tires are bigger. It isn't that 'stiff' a ride at all, our other car is a Honda minivan, and they're about the same. I chose the Sport for the bit higher clearance and I drive a lot of dirt roads. I'm 55 as well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it over the other versions.
  • cruiser10cruiser10 Member Posts: 12
    Our 2007 RAV 4x4 V6 Sport is my wife's car. The Sport caught her eye also & she really likes it. I like the V-6 when she sends me on errands. :)
  • erin07erin07 Member Posts: 1
    Hi- I test drove the 2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport this past weekend and really like the car. I'm wondering about the comfort of the sport version for both the driver and the 2nd row of passenger seats. Is the 2nd row seating comfortable for passengers in the Sport? Is the Sport version any different than than say the limited in terms of comfort (non-leather seats for either car)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I'm not sure if the suspension settings are the same for the Sport and Limited versions, but the Sport does come with lower-profile tires, which may make for a slightly less cushy ride.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The 18" wheels on the Sport really sets off the rig nicely, IMO.
  • l2rmbl2rmb Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just bought the RAV4 sport last weekend. So far we are VERY happy with it. I really like how the Rav4's back seats are adjustable not only for sitting up straight or reclining, but they are adjustable to slide forward or back. If needed, you can slide them forward allowing more back storage area or slide them back to give back seat passengers more leg room. I hated my wife's old Mazda Tribute. I'm a big guy at 6'1" and 260 lbs. The Tributes steering wheel tended to sit nearly on my legs which made it uncomfortable for me to drive (and that is with the tilt steering all the way up). The Rav4 gives me pleanty of room both as the driver and the back seat passenger. If airlines had as much room as the Rav4's back seat area, I wouldn't be as annoyed flying lol. We didn't even bother looking at the limited version. My wife and I have never been fans of leather seats. Just our preference.

Sorry this may be late to your question, I'm new to this board. Hopefully it will help someone else. If you have any other questions on the sport edition or want some feedback, let me know. :)
  • rglassrglass Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I have a 2007 Rav 4 tht fits me fine, but my 15 year old son, now 6'-2", can no longer sit in the front pasenger seat without his knees hitting the dash. There seems to be plenty of room behind the seat for the seat to slide further back, but that is blocked by the telescoping slides. Is there any way to adjust the seat or slides to allow it to go further back? Even a few inches will help...until he grows more.
    Thanks
    rglass