Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I guess we had body-on-frame designs like the Cherokee and the Sidekick/Tracker around for quite a while. Remember the 120hp Sidekick Sport was a big deal at the time? Some base engines made just 96 hp IIRC.

The segment didn't take off until the RAV4 in '96 and CR-V in '97, though. Now it's a pretty big segment.

I agree that Honda up-sized the CR-V, enough so that I think they could offer a smaller SUV.

Look at the Santa Fe and Tucson, they're nearly the same size. Same with the X5 and X3. Manufacturers seem to believe there is room for more compacts. Even the Smart ForMore is on the way.

By the way, a spy pic did make its way into Autoweek. Remember that Edmunds member that posted here that they saw a tiny SUV followed by a fleet of Mercedes?

Sure enough, looks like my prediction was spot-on.

-juice
  • juliajulia Member Posts: 74
    I just can't help to post this.
    Today is the first time I caught rain when I load stuff on CR-V since I bought it in Aug. 2004. Just realized how bad (or even stupid) design of back door opening. The back door is open swing from side to side. So the rain directly pours into the cargo area. And not to mention that rain on my head. If it is conventional bottom up open back door, at least it covers your head and the cargo area when rains.

Three drawbacks on this design compare to conventional bottom up door open:
    (1) rain into cargo
    (2) rain on you when you load or organize the stuff in cargo area (swing up door covers most of you)
    (3) your right side view is blocked by the door. So you do not know whether there is car or cart, or person approach you (in worse case, you could be attacked after dark by bad peoples without seeing them approach you. A potential safety issue in some high crime area).

I cannot think of advantage for this design over the conventional bottom up design. If someone can think of that, please post.

I view the way of Honda doing that is not consumer user friendly design (probably they never think how consumer feels it). It is more like cost saving design for Honda. It only uses one supporting part to hold that back door now instead of two parts to hold conventional bottom up door.
    I prefer a lift gate also (Pilot, Ody have them), but at least the window goes up independently, doesn't it?

That works for smaller stuff.

-juice
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "It is more like cost saving design for Honda. It only uses one supporting part to hold that back door now instead of two parts to hold conventional bottom up door."

No, I think it is because the spare tire is mounted on the door. That is a lot of weight to swing up. So it was a choice of 1) side swing door, 2)donut (small) spare in the cargo well, or 3)full size spare in the cargo area (can anyone say Jeep Cherokee?).
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    i always though it swung out that way because the crv is japan designed vehicle adapted for other markets.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    "i always though it swung out that way because the crv is japan designed vehicle adapted for other markets."

That accounts for the fact that the door swings to the right, rather than to a US-normal left.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    I love the rear gate, but do use the swing up window to load into the back just as often.
    "I love the rear gate, but do use the swing up window to load into the back just as often."

Funny, except for accidentally opening the hatch with my remote FOB, I seldom use it.

Of course, there was the time when the car was packed to the ceiling in the cargo area, and I wanted to pack in a bit more - I opened the hatch and stuffed more things in there...
  • vifferviffer Member Posts: 21
    OK, so I am sold on the 05 model. My question to the sages' of CR-V land is... How reliable and maintenance free is the 4 wheel drive system? The last time I got a two wheel drive vehicle(all I drive)stuck was about 20 years ago. The main reason I was shopping for an 04 EX was for ABS but that is no longer valid with the 05 update. I am not that concerned with the extra bucks for AWD,but I am if it presents long term maintenance and risk.
    ". I am not that concerned with the extra bucks for AWD,but I am if it presents long term maintenance and risk. "

I'm afraid it is a bit of a risk, though fairly low. The 2004 model has a mechanical system that has been in use for many years. The new drive system is of a different design, and is supposed to be faster to engage.

If this is a big concern for you, I suspect you can get some great deals on the 2004 model in the next couple of months.
  • vifferviffer Member Posts: 21
    And I need to add: the rear swinging tailgate helped with my CR-V purchase decision because that is where I am going to mount my Mountain bike(s).
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    Well now.. If you had the first generation CR-V, you would be opening that hatch glass all the time... Because you have to, before you can open the tailgate.. I guess that is why I still use the hatch glass a lot... I got used to it on the old one.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Did you test drive or even research this vehicle before you bought it?

From your numerous posts it is obvious you are not happy with it. Life is too short to be unhappy. Either deal with what you bought or get rid of it.
  • hippychic67hippychic67 Member Posts: 2
    We are planning an 05 purchase, and the swinging tailgate was a deciding factor. I am 5' on a good day and have a great deal of difficulty with the swing up doors on many models!
  • kathgipkathgip Member Posts: 39
    Personally I love the way the back door opens. My garage door into my house opens on the left and the door of the V opens perfectly so that I can load and unload my cargo without walking around in a tight garage. As to rain drips, well, our old Voyager had a lift hatch and the water dripped off the bottom of the hatch on to my back every time I opened it in my lovely, wet state of OR. That got old really fast. I was out in the pouring rain loading and unloading my V today and it was much nicer not to get the water on my back (other than from the rain falling from the sky)

One disappointing thing happened on my road trip last week. On the freeway in WA. a car in front of us hit a rock, and it flew up and hit my windshield with such force that I thought we had been shot at. Now I have a nice little hole in my new windshield. Made a call to insurance today.....only 2200 miles and already talking to insurance. Sheeeeezzzzzzzzzzz!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    only 2200 miles and already talking to insurance.

Sorry to hear that. Don't feel too bad though - I've heard countless tales of people getting a fender smashed pulling out of the dealer's lot just after having taken delivery of their pride and joy.

tidester, host
  • jmolinskyjmolinsky Member Posts: 18
    I only post occasionally when I can help folks out (as I did for Julia a week or so ago), but I've got to respond to this so I'm sorry this isn't my usual helpful post.

Jesus Christ, Julia. Did you even look at the dang car (let alone drive it) before you bought it? It's one thing to complain about fires that you didn't know about, but it's a whole other issue to complain about road noise or rear door design since those things are more than obvious with little more than a cursory examination of the vehicle and a simple test drive.

It's more than obvious you do not enjoy your vehicle and that is too bad. My wife and I are plenty happy with our 2003 EX. Yes, there are some things that aren't ideal (lift gate swinging to the right instead of the left due to its Japanese heritage), but compromise is part of life and we recognized that BEFORE we bought the vehicle.

The more you complain about items like this, the more you show how little forethought went into your purchase and the more you show your opinions regarding the CR-V not to be worthy of consideration. As Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) said "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

All of the above is just my humble opinion of course.

While I'm at it, I just wanted to say thanks to varmint, atexeira, isellhondas, and the other frequent posters for their continued contributions. I may not agree with them all the time, but the diversity of qualified opinions is what makes these Honda boards great.
    The Voyager must have been poorly designed. Most lift gates route water to the drains and don't spill it on you.

I like having the rain cover for times when you need to do a quick diaper change, stuff like that. Like I said, the CR-V does have the glass.

Really the Element is ideal because it gives you a small tail gate platform to work on plus some rain cover. Honda was even thoughtful enough to cover the seam so things don't spill out.

It's like deja vu all over again. Another carbon copy article.

-juice
    Kath, I felt the same - mine had just turned 200 miles in the 3 weeks I had it (March04) and some ice pummeled the V falling from several trees above on this back road to work. It sounded like a war zone, and I'm lucky there was no more damage than the chip a big chunk caused hitting the windshield smack in my line of sight. Got it repaired the following week.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I had a windshield replaced within two months as well. It was a small rock chip, but it happened smack dab in the middle of my line of sight. My insurance covers these hits at no charge. I'm told that most do.

As for the door, I prefer the 2nd gen design over the one I have. With the door and glass moving as one, it makes loading easier. I'm very happy that they left the lift glass though. I'm another who uses it all the time. It's terrific for dog owners.

As for the swing-gate design, that is a problem for some. And the fact that it swings open to the "Japanese side" presents a problem for curb-side loading. On the other hand, have the opening on the driver's side makes life so much easier when you just want to grab something from the back. As Kathgip noted, you don't have to walk around the door to get things in the cargo area. That makes a huge difference when you have a garage.
    The nice thing about the old design: It gives you great visibility out of the rear of the vehicle. Having a frameless glass area was really great. I miss that, but I still don't want the old style door. I think, as noted above, that the main reason for the swinging tailgate, is because of the spare tire position (another thing I like).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The current RT4WD design has been more or less flawless. In the four or five years I've been active in internet communities like this, I've never once read about a mechanical failure with that design. The only problem is the fact that the fluid needs to be changed more often than Honda recommends.

That said, the 2005 models have a brand new design. They have switched to a cam-driven system, rather than the hydraulic pump system in the current vehicles. So there is no history, yet.
    "...but it's a whole other issue to complain about road noise or rear door design since those things are more than obvious with little more than a cursory examination of the vehicle and a simple test drive".

Yes. I did test drive. The one I tested is not that noise. But it pulls to the right. It still pulls to the right even after alignment. So dealer changed to me another car which is the one I got. I only got a chance to test whether it drives straight or not in rash hour traffic with the air conditioner on at MAX by the sales person. So there is no way and no opportunity to notice the road noise. I waited salesperson for sometime and then I was rushed for the time (close to their closing time at evening). Then I assume all new cars are the same. But now I know the CR-V performance between car to car is NOT the same (at least to the road noise).

The car I got has been sat in dealer's lot for a couple of months (I found it out later). It can tell by very dirty or stains in many area. It was at 25mile before I tested it. The 1st one (the one pull to the right) only got 3 miles. The service record (I found it out after my first service) shows some activity in June, 2004. It leads me to think maybe someone tried and did not want that car for some reason.
    Yes. I admit that I did not pay attention to the back door.
    But after the experience for these two new CR-V cars, it is hard to believe the "Honda quality" on CR-V.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Hey, Julia...

I'm curious...is there ANYTHING you like about your CRV??
    No offense intended, but if you had done 10% of the amount of research you have done after purchase, before purchase, then you would have known all of this already.

You were on the prices paid board for a week before you bought, but all of this info was on the other boards the entire time. They have been talking about the fires for at least 4-6 months.

All of the info you have posted about the terrible service and the condition of the cars at your dealer... was all readily available and visible to you, before you bought.

As near as I can tell, the only problem YOU have, is that your car pulls to the right.. If that bothers you enough, I suggest selling it.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

She should sell it. She has complained non stop since she bought it. The dealer even replaced the first one because she said it pulled to the right.

Then she complained because the replacement was dirty etc...

Then, somehow, she's discovered the news about the (VERY RARE)fires and she's in a tizzy over that.

The road noise is THE SAME between CRV's. I agree, they are a bit noisy but it's hardly a "problem" either.

I know we sure love our 2003 EX! My wife's favorite car of all time!

Probabl best for Julia to move on. Life is short.

But...move on to WHAT ??
    And so do I.. it is a fine vehicle.. And re-sale on CR-Vs is excellent... My uncle bought a Highlander last month and got a great deal! Life is too short to be unhappy.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Could be Buyer's Remorse that she didn't buy the HL in the first place.

These are about mid-sized between a Pilot and a CRV.

She better read the Highlander boards first, however. ALL makes will have unhappy customers!
    Julia, perhaps a domestic vehicle?

I really enjoy my CR-V, and have had all Honda's. I am dragging my feet some to get the oil changed, and I'm not driving under severe conditions, so I'm keeping on eye out for any developments/possible recalls. I find this forum to be quite valuable in gaining the latest news.
    Hey, Julia...

I'm curious...is there ANYTHING you like about your CRV??

Well, yes. I do LIKE the rear leg room and the rear seat recliner. The high "safety score" (do not know whether is still SAFE - risk of engine fire) with side airbag, rear leg room, Honda brand are the main reasons for the CR-V purchase.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    but the diversity of qualified opinions is what makes these Honda boards great.

There seems to be a lot of piling on going on in here that would tend to make more objective types refrain from making constructive critisisms.

And it seems that an owner, even a recent one, is qualified to complain about their car. Especially when some stuff isn't always readily apparent on the usual test drives that most people take (road noise, rain drips, etc.).

Steve, Host
    Just a discussion, that's all.

Just because a car pleases the vast majority of the people who buy it does not mean every owner will be 100% happy.

And I honestly believe that if a person is VERY unhappy or has constant worries about the possibility of troubles that for their sake, it just may be prudent to simply move on if they can.

No car will please everybody. The rear tailgate is a perfect example of this. What some people think is a great design, others will think it should have been designed differently.
    Just a friendly reminder that Town Hall welcomes all points of view on automotive matters. Just so long as it's civil.

Steve, Host
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    << These are about mid-sized between a Pilot and a CRV. >>

We recently traded in my wife's 2001 Accord for a new Highlander. She wanted an SUV, easier for her to get in and out of, and she sits up higher. She wanted something bigger than a CRV, since I already have one, but not as big as the Pilot. So we bought a Highlander, an excellent choice for what we were looking for.

<< She better read the Highlander boards first, however. ALL makes will have unhappy customers!
    >>

Exactly, there's a few over in that vehicles "Problems & Solutions" board, some of the common complaints are hesitation and the brakes.
    isellhondas
    By the way, now I know you are selling Honda. So I question what you were telling truth in your posts on the price board or trying to fool newcomers (I did believe you then):
    You said you paid for $500 over the invoice for your wife 2003 CR-V.

Hard to believe it as you SELL Honda yourself.
    Enough - we're here to talk about the cars, not cast aspersions on each other.

Steve, Host
    Yes. I made a mistake for did not read the other boards other than the price board. Because it is HONDA and I trusted it. If I did, then I would not buy it. That is why I said I over trusted Honda. But I did not read the other board does not substitute the obligation of some sort of warning/information from Honda/Dealer. As not 100% American has computer or online.
    "Enough - we're here to talk about the cars, not cast aspersions on each other."

Boy.. no offense.. but read back a few hundred posts..... You call it piling on, but considering the tone of the posts we are replying to, I believe we are making some good points and are doing it quite civilly..

And, to imply that our posts are not objective, just because we disagree... well...ALL opinions are by definition subjective.. Just because some of us own CR-Vs doesn't automatically mean we can't be objective about the situation.

My posts were heartfelt, and I believe isellhondas were too.. Julia should really think about moving on to another car.

This is the land of free speech.. but, that doesn't mean that the rest of us can't disagree with your point of view, or respond to it.
    (not meaning Town Hall of course... we have rules, after all).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    And it seems that an owner, even a recent one, is qualified to complain about their car.

I agree on that. But nobody can prevent me( and hopefully many others) from PRAISING our CR-V, which we like so much. Edmund's Forum helped me to make this choice. Unhappy minority is vocal and "silent HAPPY majority" is, hm... silent. So I think, to be fair, the happy owners should also speak out in support of Honda too.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    For the past 2 weeks I've been driving my Dad's 02 CRV EX. In comparison to my 98 Accord EX, I'm suprised at a number of things:

Performance - the CRV is much peppier than my Accord

NVH - the CRV is much quieter than my Accord and has a better ride. Suprisingly my Dad has almost 44K miles on the Bridgestone Duelers. I'm going to buy him the Avids for Xmas - those should be even more quiet.

Fuel Economy - no worse than my Accord at around 23-24.

Dislikes:

no retained power for the windows or roof

must use key/fob to lock doors when leaving the vehicle - this is the way it used to be with all Hondas but my Accord allows me to use the lock button on the door.

A CRV would be great for my wife if I can ever get her out of her Ody.
    "silent HAPPY majority" ???

Pardon me!
    Well, it's at least a good segue into this plug:

"All car buyers should make sure they have in mind what they really need. If careful considerations aren't made, it could become a huge mistake"

ASU Web Devil

Steve, Host
    I think if the accusations about bias and sour grapes can stop, we'll all be better off.
    "isellhondas
    By the way, now I know you are selling Honda. So I question what you were telling truth in your posts on the price board or trying to fool newcomers (I did believe you then):
    You said you paid for $500 over the invoice for your wife 2003 CR-V.

Hard to believe it as you SELL Honda yourself. "

Personally, I find isellhondas posts to be fair and truthful.
    when julia posted about the rear door.
    i happen to agree with her about the design, it isn't good. if you never had a wagon before, you might not notice it right away. that doesn't make the crv a bad vehicle though, and i don't think anyone should just make negative posts.
    I'm a little surprised that Julia didn't look at my username before. I've been around these forums almost since they started and I picked that username so people would know where I was coming from.

And, yes, I paid 500.00 over invoice for my wife's 2003 EX CRV and the store did me a favor by giving me that price. It's a great car!
    Here's what happens...probably to all car manufactures and not just Honda.

They experiment with different designs and they try to please the masses knowing there will be a percentage of people, hopefully a very small percentage, that don't like it.

As an example, I was amused in one of the 2005 Odyssey boards. the 2005's will now have a 60-40 split third seat. Someone posted that they would like to have the split the other way around from the way Honda did it.

I'm betting I'll never hear that from a customer but I could be wrong.
    usually an experiment is an effort do it better. in this case, it just using an existing design, saving development and production cost, and hoping the other vehicle attributes will miimize the deficiency of the side swing design for the na market.
    since the crv is not seen languishing on dealer lots, i think they have acomplished that. doesn't change the fact that there are better designs for the rear door though, and it makes a difference to some buyers.
    I've had maybe two customers say they wish it worked differently but I believe they both bought.
    just my opinion, but i think crossed it off the list for a group of buyers, so they didn't bother looking there. to others it's not a factor in their buying decision.