Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• dtruong8dtruong8 Member Posts: 27
    Unfortunately when I was shopping for the CR-V, I failed to look at the prices of cars using the TMV from edmunds. I only looked at the msrp of the cars, limiting my choices. But I was deciding between the Santa Fe and the CR-V.

Santa Fe: Loved the quirkyness of the styling(am i the only one?), it had a v6 option, the interior color was nicer, smoother and quieter ride. CR-V: reliability since I have had great experiences with Hondas and Toyotas, fuel economy (i think thats about it). So i got the CR-V mainly for the reliability, since this was heavily valued in the long run. (kept my 92 camry for +200k miles until i got my cr-v in 2002.)

I loved the forester and rav-4 but the small size, especially the back seat, eliminated them. But after I got the cr-v, I suddenly realized that I could have gotten the Highlander (w/ 4 cyl). They are in heavy discounts now so you could get a higher trim probably. benefits: quieter and smoother ride, people say its almost equivalent to the lexus rx300, much better materials inside, similar reliability. But as a downside, the 4 cyl has little power and the rear seat was too low for me.

So now, the cr-v has been great these past 2 years with about 50k miles. I still once in a while imagine what if I had gotten the highlander.
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    Thanks, Julia. The Santa Fe is on my list ... although I've got to admit it feels weird looking seriously at a Hyundai! ;-) I know their quality has come a long way ... but it had such a long way to go!

Gas mileage isn't a huge factor for me. The CR-V is getting no more than 20, no doubt because we can't use it for commuting (35 miles one way, with most of the trip over 60 MPH) or long trips, 'cuz it just hurts my back too much. I'm OK for running errands locally, but anything beyond that isn't good. My wife and I just took a 2300 mile trip up to and around New England (the Cape, the coast of Maine, the White Mountains in New Hampshire), and we took our '04 Sienna since it's so darn comfortable ... and we averaged 26 MPG during the trip.

It seems silly to me to have a vehicle I can't drive or ride in for any length of time - it's great for my wife, but in terms of practicality, we need two reliable vehicles that both of us are comfortable in.

Thanks for your input!
  • cybernut04cybernut04 Member Posts: 98
    Thanks, dtruong8 - When I was doing my research I skipped right over the Forester - it just didn't "look" like a small SUV to me. And the RAV4 (although I've had great luck with Toyotas) looked too cramped in the back.

I hadn't really considered the Highlander, based partly on cost but mostly on size. We're really sold on the small aspect of small SUVs. But maybe I'll have to expand my search to include those SUVs on the small side of mid-size ... if that makes any sense! :-)
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    traded in my 02 CRV for a 04 4runner. Difference is day vs night, Quiet and soft riding. Seats are way more comfortable.
    Price isn't much more if you buy at year end with rebate and clearance discount and you get the money back at trade in time.
  • refereeeguyrefereeeguy Member Posts: 2
    stove1, what is your definition of "isn't much more"?

From what I see on Edmunds a bare bones SR5 invoices at over $26,000 and currently there are no cash back incentives. If you start to put a few options on a machine like that (most of what is sitting on dealer lots, they don't have strippies ordered for stock) you will start pushing $28,000 pretty quick at invoice price, '04 CR-V's are going for less than the $20,800 invoice price pretty routinely right now.

From my bank account's perspective $8,000 is a fair amount of ka-ching.

Not to mention the higher insurance premiums, and lower fuel economy on the 4-runner.

I agree with you though that the difference between vehicles is day and night but they should be, they are in completely different classes, kind of like comparing a 4Runner to a MD-X or a Navigator.

Apples and oranges.

Refereeguy
  • johnnyrfjohnnyrf Member Posts: 65
    Just replaced the garbage OEM tires that came with my 2003 CRV after just 24K miles. Those Bridgestone Duelers were horrendous! The CRV used to screech around turns and lose traction all the time. I just put on Goodyear Assurance Triple-Treds after reading reviews on the web. Got 4 of them out the door for just under $400. I wish I had done it sooner. The CRV handles like a charm now. What a difference a good set of tires makes!
    For anybody still driving on those OEM's: Get rid of them if you can afford it.
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    stock size for your new Goodyears? I'm planning on replacing mine at some point. Haven't decided which tire to go with yet.
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    Congratulations on the new sneakers. Tell me this, what was the difference in road noise between the two sets?

I am looking at a set of Michelin Cross terrains for the 2005 CRV I am planning on buying. Put them on at day one so at least I can sell the piece of crap duellers.

Thanks

Two year
    205/70R15 per Goodyear website. Used Goodyear's website to price out local dealers. Printed out best price and brought to local dealer who matched the price.
    Road noise is slightly higher on the new tires. I knew that going in. Traction was #1 on my list. Higher importance than road noise as I always blast music when I am driving.
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    You can buy a 4runner for 23k at year end clearance. Toyota gives $3000 rebate in most areas. 4runner standard equipment list is quite long, you get V6,5spd auto , VSC, ABS, better everything and gets that money differenc back at trade in time. HOnda on the other hand never give a rebate (maybe a incentive of couple hundred dollars).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    FWIW, 4Runner V6 has had poor reliability per CR, a bit of a shocker because it's been up there for decades. The V8 has good ratings but it costs about 160% of a CR-V.

Great truck for hauling, towing, but it's a lot of mass to have to carry around on a commute. The CR-V is more efficient and just easier to drive.

I really don't think people cross-shop these two very often, they are in different size (compact vs. mid), type (unibody vs. frame), and price classes.

Next up we'll compare the new Acura RL SH-AWD to the Toyota Echo. ;-)

-juice
  • catherinemcatherinem Member Posts: 2
    Hi.
    I've been looking at used CR-Vs, and my understanding, from these forums and the Honda web site, is that a sunroof was not available on the older version CR-V (2001 and earlier). But, I keep seeing classified ads that mention a sunroof. Does anyone know anything about this? Would those be aftermarket, or Canadian, or what?

Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    If it is a US model, it has to be aftermarket.. Not sure about Canada.. they get a lot of stuff that we don't.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    Hi all,

We're gearing up for winter in these parts, and as a result, I'm ordering the all-weather floor mats from HandAaccessories.com. $90, yikes, but will be well worth it after just one winter here in western NY. Does anyone have these mats? It doesn't appear to come with the connector piece that goes in the middle of the seats. What do you do, just keep the fabric piece in the middle for the winter since nobody really puts snowy, muddy feet there? Also, do the rubber mats snap into place like the standard ones, or do they not because they are heavier and more likely to stay in place on their own?

I'm also ordering the touch-up paint. I'm going to "splurge" and go for the more expensive one that uses the pen-like tip instead of the brush. Their comparison photo sold me. I have a small paint chip on my passenger side that I want to touch up. I also have one on the driver side that is accompanied with a little dent... looks like it was caused by a projectile piece of gravel. Always disappointing to get that first dent, especially since there isn't anything you can do about it. Going to patch up the paint on that, too. Anyway, has anyone had any experience with the touch-up paint? Is the pen actually better than the brush, or does it not really matter?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The first gen CR-V did not offer a factory sunroof in either the US or Canada. It was, however, a fairly popular aftermarket addition. Many dealers have contracts with local installers and would offer a sunroof to customers using that service.

In other markets (Japan, UK, and such), the CR-V came with a sunroof. Big caveat, though... it was not the same type we like here in the US. It was positioned between the front and second row seats and served the rear passengers more than the front.
  • catherinemcatherinem Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the quick replies! Any thoughts on the quality of these aftermarket sunroofs? I've heard mixed things, especially regarding safety after installation. (Like, it somehow weakens the roof structure.)

I love the idea of a sunroof. Just trying to decide if it's worth it. Thanks.
  • stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    Still loving my new CR-V, I was backing up Saturday afternoon with a load of boys ready for a candy-buying expedition to Wal-Mart. I've been gentle in accelerating during the break-in period. And that's about when I heard a funny sound. Like a muffled crumpling.

Then it dawned on me that my wife had parked in what she considers the extreme right side of the driveway, and that everybody else "the center."

With dread and anxiety, and some choice words under my breath, I went out to look for the gash on the CR-V. Couldn't find anything. Not even a mar on the black plastic.

But my wife's 2000 Accord--the left-front fender over the wheel was a crumpled, along with the drooping plastic bumper cover and the warped trim that's riveted on the inside edge of the wheel well.

Couldn't believe there was no damage to the CR-V.

Overall, I was pretty lucky.

Except for when I had a conversation with my wife.

Now she parks in the center and I park about a quarter mile away.
    You probably made contact with your spare tire.. I was rear-ended twice in my old CR-V and both times the other car had significant damage, while mine only had a tear in the spare tire cover.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

We installed an ASC Model 750 moonroof in our Legacy. While taking delivery we saw a 2002 CR-V there as well, with the same moonroof.

Ours has been good, no leaks or squeeks. At one point we disconnected our car battery for an unrelated reason, and it wouldn't open, but the ASC certified shop re-set it for us for free.

It comes with a lifetime warranty agaist leaks. We paid $900 for it, installed. They change the entire headliner and add bracing around it.

They also did my Forester and in the past they had done a previous car of mine. None of the 3 ever leaked or had other structural issues.

ASC has a new model out now, a friend of mine put one in his MPV and it's also been fine.

-juice
    I got the rubber mats 2 weeks ago from HandA. You are correct about the front mats. There is no middle piece connecting the 2. That middle piece really isn't needed IMO, as you never step there anyway.
    The driver's mat has 2 holes that attach the same way as your current fabric mats. The rubber mats are alot heavier as you stated and dont appear to wander as much as the fabric ones. I tossed my fabric mats already as I much prefer the rubber mats although there will be a strong rubber odor for 10 days or so.
    I'm in New England and got the rubber mats for the winter also. Much easier to pull them out and hose them down.
    Good Luck. You are doing the right thing IMO.
  • rencorenco Member Posts: 38
    Hi
    Yesterday sometime Mom hit a deer in her 02EX going around 65 (I'm in anouther state, so I don't know much), shes fine but the said the airbags didn't go off and they towed the CRV, we haven't received our airbag recall notice yet so maybe its related?

Anyways I was wondering if anyone has words of advice or list of things to watch out for with the insurance company and all that. Thanks.
    It's not fault of hers so hopefully her rates won't change. If it's more than 2 years old they may try to use aftermarket parts.

Glad she's fine.

-juice
  • kathgipkathgip Member Posts: 39
    Hi, I am looking to have an alarm system installed in my 2004 EX AT. I am going to B.C. for a vacation and NEED an alarm (we have been broken into 5 times in B.C. without an alarm on other vehicles we have had). Any recommendations on brand? Should I go to the dealer for a factory alarm? When I checked prices the dealership was about $100 more for a similar alarm to a store like Car Toys. How is the warranty affected or is it? Thanks for the info.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Yesterday sometime Mom hit a deer in her 02EX going around 65 (I'm in anouther state, so I don't know much), shes fine but the said the airbags didn't go off and they towed the CRV, we haven't received our airbag recall notice yet so maybe its related?"

A deer is not very heavy and probably didn't cause the airbag sensors to go off.
    My first tank of gasoline ended up getting 22.78 mpg for what was mostly city driving, with a few miles taken on local highways and interstate.

I'm up to 500 miles, which is 5/6ths of the way through what Honda describes as the break-in period. Should I expect that mpg will increase a bit as the engine gets older?

Question: does the gasoline sold at mass-marketers like Costco and Sam's Club include ethanol or other non-petroleum fuels? How can someone tell? Is it marked somewhere on their pumps?
    In my state, Ethanol has to be marked on the pump.. don't know if it is that way everywhere.. I've had other Hondas get better mileage as they got older, but haven't really noticed it on my '02 CR-V (36K miles)... Usually, the mileage improvement peaks somewhere around 8K-10K miles.

22.8 MPG is pretty good for around town on a new engine.

I try to always use a major brand of fuel... Shell in my case...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    I don't think the '02 is included in the airbag recall. I may be wrong.

Also reserve your judgement as to if the airbags should have deployed until you see the vehicle. It may not have been a direct hit.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    the deer's body, the heaviest part, may not have hit the bumper, or might have only impacted one side. at least it didn't come up into the windshield.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • mimirmimir Member Posts: 1
    Question for ISell or anyone else who has solid info -

I am interested in a 2005 CRV EX Auto with the Redondo Red Pearl. I am getting the impression that this color will not be built for a while. (I am in the Northeast part of the US).

Do you have any solid info on when that color will start coming off the assembly line, I suppose in England for me?

------------
    Also, in your opinion what is a realistic pricing expectation for that vehicle in October - slightly under MSRP?

Thank you for any info you can provide.
    I've been much more gentle with the CR-V than with my '99 Accord 5-speed. Maybe that's accounted for the good mileage so far. Mileage was a concern; I had been shopping for a small wagon by a major manufacturer that could get in the 30s for mileage. Shopping the Scion xB, I thought I'd found the perfect solution--except that the short crumple zone in the rear made me hesitant and then the poor trade-in value proposed by the Scion salesman killed the deal totally. Good thing, because I'm in a CR-V and like the seeming security of the longer space behind the rear seat.
    You're testing my memory with this one. LOL

As I recall, there is a crossmember running from side to side above the driver's noggin. Installing a power sunroof means either moving this support, or removing it. I think you're best bet would be to speak at length with several installers to see how they would handle it. Make sure they have a plan before you turn your car over to them.

I was never interested in this particular modification, so I'm afraid I didn't pay enough attention to the threads discussing it. Sorry!
    MD law requires a lable on the pump if they add oxygenates to fuel, so it's worth a look.

I didn't hit a deer, but a deer hit me, once. Ran right into the side of a rental car I had. This was pre-airbag days but still, the air bag would not have gone off.

-juice
    I hit a deer with my 86 Cavalier (no air bags). I was cruising at highway speeds, but the brakes probably slowed me to between 40-50 mph at the time of impact. I felt the impact, but did not feel much in the way of deceleration. Not to be callous, but it looked like the poor deer was the one who experienced a significant change in speed.
    I agree with this.. Usually, the impact felt is fairly slight.. The biggest danger is from the deer coming through the windshield.

Unless the driver in this instance made contact with the steering wheel or windshield with their head, I'd say the airbags operated as intended.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    my wife hit a deer doing 75 in our 02 CRV, had to replace hood, left front fender, grill and had paint repair on driver side door. $5550. No air bag deployment.
    Moose (mooses, meese?) in Europe are a bigger problem, hence that moose-avoidance test. They have long legs so it's the torso vs. the windshield and guess what wins that battle?

A friend of mine, and Edmunds member, ran into a deer with...a motorcycle! Ouch. He's OK now, but had to be carted off in an ambulance.

-juice
  • rencorenco Member Posts: 38
    Thanks. Our estimate was also around $5500. This is the recall I'm talking about, as of yesterday, we still haven't got the letter.

http://tinyurl.com/6fw8f
  • akjeepakjeep Member Posts: 3
    I need some advice on a new vehicle. I live in Fairbanks Alaska were the roads are slippey about 7 months of the year. Mainly plowed roads, but still packed snow/ice covered. My current vehicle is a 98 Jeep Cherokee. It does great, but I want an auto 4wd system that I don't have to shift, and has ABS. My choice is down to an 05 Escape or 05 CRV. The Escape has a new 4wd system that will send 100% power to front or rear wheels, or anywhere in between. It alson has a limited slip rear differntial. I drove it and like the seamless transfer of power on snow covered roads. I have heard that the CR-v will slip before the rear engages. I'm concerned that this could cause some problems on ice/snow. Please give me some advice on which sytem will provide a more secure driving experience for my conditions/enviroment. I actually like the Escape a little more, but I'm also concerned about reliability that is why I'm considering the CRV. Thanks for your advice!!
    The Escape is probably superior when it comes to the four-wheel-drive system.. I don't have any experience with Alaska, so I can't tell you if that will make a big difference.

The Honda system changes somewhat this year.. The rear wheels will kick in with a mechanical system, rather than hydraulic.. This may shorten response times, but it still remains the same basic configuration.

Since you prefer the Escape, and the 4WD system concerns you... I think that is the way I would go.. It probably won't be as reliable as a CR-V, but it seems like it will meet your needs more fully. (I like the look of the Mazda Tribute better, it is a twin to the Escape, with a better warranty).

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Keep in mind the 05 CR-V gets VSC, IMHO a very desirable feature. Especially since you value traction aids like AWD and ABS.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I was visiting friends in Barrow last year and CR-Vs seemed to outnumber everything but trucks (maybe because most of the cabs were CR-Vs).

Do you have snow to test on yet? - I know Anchorage and Wasilla got some already.

Steve, Host
    I was able to test the Escape on some light snow, but the 05 CRV's have not come it yet.
    I was unaware that Ford offered an LSD for the Escape. You might want to double-check that.

For 2005, Ford improved their AWD system. It went from a rotary blade coupling to an electronically-engaged clutch patch. It's kinda like the fore/aft functionality of the VTM-4 system used in the Honda Pilot. Definitely an improvement over the old design. It's faster and engages just as smoothly as the old one. Apparently, it was designed to reduce the potential for binding (according to CanadianDriver magazine).

Still, based on what I've read, this is still a reactive system. Now that it reacts electronically, it is very fast. But it's still 100% FWD until there is slippage.

As mentioned above, the 2005 CR-V has an upgraded version of the RT4WD system. It uses a cam-driven design rather than the hydraulic system in the current model. According to Honda press material, this new design is supposed to be faster than the hydraulic unit. I'm sure it will be, but we really don't have any test data on it. This, also, is FWD until slippage.

If you are really concerned about AWD performance, you'd be best off avoiding any reactive design. That includes the VUE and Equinox as well as the CR-V and Escape. Something like a Subaru, the RAV4 would be better.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "For 2005, Ford improved their AWD system."

I have to disagree - the Escape went backwards in capability. Ford dropped the low range, so the Escape is not a true 4WD, it is now more of a part time AWD system.

It might be useful to consider a 2004 Escape, which has the old system, and has a design that has been in use for years.
    I was mistaken about the Limited slip diff in the Escape. I have looked at so many different vehicles I got confused. Were are you getting your info on the 05 CRV 4wd system?

Thanks!
    Escape never had a low range.

You must be thinking Explorer. Some of those now offer AWD, vs. the traditional 4WD on other models.

But the Escape has always been part-time AWD, no low range.

-juice
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Meaning no disrespect to your mom, but is it worth considering that maybe they WERE deployed but she doesn't recall? I've never had airbags deployed in one of my cars, so can't speak from experience but I have heard that people often don't realize their airbags went off until they see the deflated bag in front of them - just because it's so quick and they are rather distracted. Maybe with the shock of the accident she didn't notice and since the car was towed away there's no more evidence of a bag? Although... there would be powder on her from the propellant I think, that would be noticable.
    Maybe?
    Elissa
  • motordavidmotordavid Member Posts: 39
    No arm wrestle here, but unless those "euro moose" are in a zoo or imported, that mammal is not indigenous outside of North America.

Having dodged a few of those beauties in cars and once on an M'cycle, they make deer look like housepets. BR,md
  • motordavidmotordavid Member Posts: 39
    Jeesshh, I stand corrected:
    they Do have a big moose-like animal in Euro that they call an "Elk", though it looks like a moose w/bad DNA antlers to me.
    Ya'neverdamnknow. Learn something everyday.

They are worth dodging,lol!
    BR,md