Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Present and Future FWD Classic and Special Interest Cars

Comments

• oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    And of course in the wet... no contest.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Evo 7 or 8? The one thing I'd worry about is whether or not it's been flogged to hell and back a dozen times.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    Many modifications? There are some Evo shops with chips, etc., that reprogram boost to very high levels.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My buddy is a Mitsu dealer and their tech guys know how to check for computer mods. As for being flogged, I know what to look for there. Also we have access to service records and we can do a "super-scan" on the car, revealing things that ordinary mortals do not see :)

It's a VII, so I think it doesn't have the locking diff, but rather an open center diff. I don't know as this is a big deal...maybe you can screech into turns a bit faster and kick the tail out easier...on the open diff you will probably spin away a lot of power if you come into the turn too hot.

But on public roads, all this is immaterial, as one does not drive at those limits.

EVO resale value are pretty incredible.

Yes, in the wet his M3 is dead meat in my talons :P
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Yellow is a state of mind.

I don't think that it would look too bad on an Evo.

The only thing is that everyone will look at you and the Cops will look twice, so invest in a good detector (as if you didn't already have one) and perhaps an extra large rear view mirror.

I'd go for it. It'll be a lot of fun, and you can easily flip it in a year if you get tired of the attention.
    Yikes, a 2004 in silver just came in. 24K, with the coveted SSL options (sunroof, premium sound and leather) + HID lights.

Still has the stupid wing which will have to go away, but color is better and it's an EVO VIII. Also has 4 brand-new premium Yokos (there's $1,000 bucks).

Downside? It's priced at $23.5K, which is right on Edmunds True Market Value for Private Party, so a "fair enough" price. But more than I want to spend.

Sigh....why is it when you set a budget something ALWAYS comes along that's just a few thousand bucks more?

Of course, my evil friends always say "just look at the monthly payments", not what you're paying overall...but that's simply not fiscally sound thinking.

Hmmmm...I COULD sell grandma's jewelry...she'll never miss it ;)
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Grandma's gold goes for Shifty's Silver

I like the poetic justice in that idea. Silver is MUCH better than yellow....and it has better options.

Absolutely. Do it. :shades:

Take Grandma for a nice "drive in the mountains in it" ;) and by the time they're done defibrillating her, she'll forget she ever HAD jewelry. She'll just be glad to be alive. :surprise:

As for " A few dollars more" the worst experience there is building a house. It starts so innocently. Box for ceiling lights in every room. Wait make those ceiling fan boxes. Oh, and cable and phone everywhere. Got to have a sink in the garage. Oh, the stairs aren't hardwood - can't have that. The skylights should be a little bigger. That Italian tile sure is a lot nicer... :sick:
    As a friend and student of all things petroleum I have to chime in. The Evo would be great fun. Gas is going to be increasingly expensive and possibly in short supply. You currently own a very practical car that is pretty fun. (on a scale of 1 to 10 it's probably a 7.5 whereas the Evo is a 12). You are incredibly wealthy and don't care about the cost of gas or the potential loss on a frivolous car.

Go for it. :shades:

james
    All very good ideas. EVOs aren't that bad on gas, and of course I won't have a heavy foot....riggghhhhhhtttttt.....

Grandma is very tough. Legend has it that she once told a street punk who was harrassing her..."I can't kick your butt, but if you wait right here I'll go get someone who can".....only a legend of course....

I don't think the value of the EVO will go down much at all. I just saw a used 2006 EVO sell for $4,000 under MSRP of a new 2007. That's pretty impressive...of course right color, equipment, a few add-ons, and it was ready to roll right here right now. Never underestimate the pull of "instant gratification". Barrett-Jackson thrives on that very impulse.
    No point in trying to reason with this guy. He's gone. Enjoy the Evo. :)

(I'll bet the spoiler stays) - james
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Oh man I can see shifty with the EVO for sure.
    Nah, the spoiler MUST DIE!

I could buy a Boxster instead....
    Do you want another Porsche though?

And all the problems that go with a convertiable.

Oh wait California I guess that doesn't matter.
    Boxster are very reliable but they are a touch...ahem...girlie....(ewww...maybe I shouldn't have said that) :blush:
    Well I was just thinking it but you said it.
    Even had a show episode (2 1/2 men) revolving around their 'chick car' status...don't think applied to Caymans, at least.
    Of course, for the same price of this EVO I could buy a brand new MINI with whatever options/colors I want, and at the end of the loan I'll have more equity. Not "quite" the fun factor but not too far off the mark either.
    AWD is over rated. Add some coil overs, a MINI-Madness sway bar, sticky tires and the MINI will be close to on par with the EVO handling wise.
    This color yellow?
    Haven't seen the '03 yet, so I don't know. That's a nice color you're showing....god I hate that stupid wing. When will people realize that these things are basically useless until about 130 mph, whether they be wings or spoilers (I guess technically that thing is a spoiler).

MINI--a properly set up modified MINI S is pretty ferocious in handling, that is true.

I think the EVO is a more reliable car however.
    I don't know more things to break on the EVO with the AWD.

I would also argue that the little Tritec motor is under much less stress then the 4GXX motor in the EVO.
    You'd think so but the EVO's track and warranty record is outstanding....
    But, but, but it is a Mitsibishi...

I guess every once in a while they get lucky.
    Well they got rid of Chrysler---that helped.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,306
    i agree. get rid of the spoiler. add a bull bar on the front and some step bars and it will be perfect! ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I think it's got to be the yellow '03. The '04 has leather and roof but is $3,500 more and has higher miles. Leather is nice but I'd cover it anyway as I'm rough on interiors, and a sunroof does compromise chassis rigidity on a cheapo car like a Lancer I think. As for premium sound, I'd rather add my own with satellite and nav.

I'm going to test drive it Monday.

You know how much those wings cost new? $1,800!

(Wonder if I could sell it to some boy racer?)
    I am positive you could sell that wing to someone. Someone with a base lancer without the wing that is trying to uhhhh "improve" it would buy it.

A few years ago Sport Compact Car had a WRX STI that they were De-blining Mad Max style and they swapped their deck lid with some kid who had a regular WRX.
    I could just fill the holes and paint the lid. This will be interesting...if I buy it, I'll have a net gain of 166HP in one day.

Hard to believe this dinky stock EVO 4-cylinder puts out more power than my porsche 928 V-8 did.
    How long do you think you'll keep it? Might take off the wing, store it, plug the holes (there's got to be some plastic plugs that'd work), then have an 'unmolested' example when the time comes to sell to some other EVO fan.
    Also possible...there are only 4 holes....there's also a very tasteful "Ralliart" wing that could be substituted. It's kind of a small wing/spoiler thingie...a low aero wing of sorts.
    I would have to think that the trunk springs on the models with wings must be far more powerful than those on their wingless brethren.

The idea of removing the wing and leaving the spring unchanged gives me visions of a remote trunk release and a snoozing cat...

bad james
    Yup that is what happend to these guys. They forgot swap out the springs and the trunk lock cylinder so they had to call the guy back for those two items.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    I vote for a new MINI, or a used Boxster... You can get a 2001 Boxster S for around $25K..

For the price of that EVO, you could get a new MINI Cooper S..

And... and.. and.. it would be a pretty rare EVO that hadn't been wrung out.. Rich kids get those.. not 30-something middle managers..

Just my $0.02..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The MINI is everyone's darling right now. They are flying out the door. This certainly bodes well for their future "classic" status in the future....the old saying "Loved when new, loved when old".

What I don't like is having to PAY for this popularity. You can't bargain on a new MINI. Pay MSRP or take a hike.

EVOs have outrageous resale value. Another "classic to be" I'm sure.
    Yup I only lost about 4 grand on my Cooper S.

Not bad for 30,000 miles over two years.
    Does that include sales tax, etc?
    I don't see that as being a long-term trend.. The car is still a basic economy car with $16K of drivetrain enhancements and options.. And.. they keep making newer/better versions of it..

Ever look at an old Mitsubishi? Not a pretty sight..

Focus on value for the money, and the new MINI, even at MSRP, will come out ahead in the long run.

There are two low-mileage Boxster S in my local paper.. both with $26K asking prices.. All you need is a friend to follow you around with your stuff.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yup I was 25,xxx OTD in July of 2004.

I sold it for around 21,000 after it was all said and done but I had to put two new tires on it so I guess I lost closer to 5,000 dollars.
    Still outstanding. I'll do about the same on the xA after 2 years and 32,000 miles. $15K OTD and sell for $11,000. Good resale is more about gas prices than the car itself I think.
    Boxster are very reliable but they are a touch... ahem... girlie....(ewww...maybe I shouldn't have said that)

To make a Boxster look less "girlie" park it next to this:
    hard to sell
    Why it's a Mary Kay Miata--LOL!

Now that's "special interest"....VERY special interest, as in one person on the entire planet special interest....
    Well there is an [non-permissible content removed] for every seat...

Too bad the [non-permissible content removed] for that seat already owns it.
    In fact, the term "special interest" was created for this very type of car (no kidding, it really was). It was the "catch-all" phrase for the collection and glorification of cars that practically nobody wants.
    ..then put a skirt on me, and call me Gladys.. I would have no problem with it. ;)

Actually, I'd rather have a Cayman, but they haven't been around long enough to drop into my price range.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I took a Cayman S in trade last night and drove it this morning. It was pretty good but I need about one to two inches more leg room to drive one for an extended period of time.

It was a pretty hot car but driving that F430 has ruined all other cars for me.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    You know, I'd heard of the Miata/MX-5 referred to as girlie, but not the Boxter, until now. Whatever, I wouldn't throw a Boxter out of my garage, or a Miata/MX-5 either, for that matter. While I haven't driven either of them, they appeal to me.
    Take time to notice who is driving Boxsters. At least in my area, it is rarely a guy. Of course I know they DO drive them, but for some reason the proportions are ridiculously askew in San Francisco area. I'd gladly take a $20 bet on every Boxster on the road that comes along randomly. I'd clean up.

Reason? Like the Miata, it is, in base form, sexy, affordable and it comes with an automatic. Also the high production numbers have put a glut of used ones on the market, so prices are quite reasonable.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Interesting. I hadn't noticed. If I think about it I'll take notice and report back.
    Here in the Midwest, Boxsters are mostly driven by men (or cross-dressers named Gladys). I'd say about 80/20 in favor of men..

Women here are more likely to drive Tahoes.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Well I could see where they'd be tricked into thinking it was a man's car. Probably too uppity for a woman right? :P

I think regional differences can be quite startling. For instance, aside from the wildly disproportionate number of women driving Boxsters, we have an almost complete absence of Cadillacs. I do see lots of Lincolns in livery service though.

MINIS are as thick as flies out here. Dealers must be raking in the bucks on these cars.

You'd think I'd see lots of weirdo electrics, old Benzes burning biodiesel and the like, but I don't. Plenty of bikes and scooters however. You know, college town and all that.
This discussion has been closed.