Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 GPS and Navigation

Comments

• nterminintermini Member Posts: 7
    I am seeing the current version online- Released: 2007 DENSO Mazda Part No.GP9A 66 DZ0 C - (K4238) - Just spoke to Mazda USA and they have no idea.

It seems as though some people have Part No.GP9A 66 DZ0 C (B) or (A) where B or A are in place of the C
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Look. Denso supplies NAVI to Toyota/Lexus. The systems on Toyota/Lexus have the same grey-out issue that people hate. Solution? CoastalETech.com sells kits to defeat such issues with NAVI system ("I AGREE", grey-out, etc.). For now, there is no kit for Mazda.
    Essentially what is needed to defeat the grey-out is to install a $2 switch in between the speed senor wire into the NAVI unit. Which wire? You probably need to find a service manual of CX-9 (ask your dealer to buy one) and dig into it. In case you are successful, don't forget to share with us. :blush:

P.S. the grey-out kicks in when speed >=5mph. Cut the speed sensor wire, and it will NEVER happen. So naturally, the best solution is to install a switch (so hidden that your MAZDA service technician will not find it ;) )
  • zotomomozotomomo Member Posts: 4
    I would love to do what ceric is suggesting!! I can't stand the lockout on my Navi. If anyone has a step by step on this I'm sure many people would appreciate it :D
  • sbahrsbahr Member Posts: 2
    I have a CX-9 and the navigation does have this feature. If you push the compass in the top left corner it will give you this feature. ;)
  • kamiller42kamiller42 Member Posts: 13
    Mazda took the mute button off the steering wheel and put the Nav button in its place. So how can I easily mute the radio? Right now, I have to reach across the console and turn it off.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Yep, it looks like they ran out of space so there is no mute function. I think the easiest thing to do is hold down the volume switch on the steering wheel until it drops to zero. This really doesn't take more than a couple seconds if you hold the button.
  • ejjeejje Member Posts: 2
    Do you have any idea how to change/delete the address that is set in "Home". My kids set it incorrectly and I cannot find a way to edit it.
  • ejjeejje Member Posts: 2
    Hi - did you ever figure this out? I am having problems changing my home location also.
  • yipmoyipmo Member Posts: 3
    I contacted NAVTEQ and this is what they told me:
    Thank you for contacting NAVTEQ. Although Mazda uses our map data we neither produce nor distribute the disks for the CX-9. For information please contact your nearest authorized Mazda dealer.
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    Delete your current home posstion and re-create the one you wish to be...
  • readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    Someone at Mazda needs to get a clue... how do I purchase a $2000 option that they decide when I can or can't use. Better yet, if they're that concerned about safety they would actually create a voice recogntion system similar to the new generation Acura RL or Infiniti's that will actually work.

I'm sad to say that I too (as many others have mentioned) broke down and purchased a portable Nav system just because the Mazda system stinks! This is beyond ridiculous. I have had three different built-in Acura navigation systems, the best being my current 05 Acura RL, the voice recognition works and you can still use the Nav regardless of your speed. So, does that mean Acura/Honda are not concerned about safety, not quite, they have a disclaimer and last I checked we're adults, it's no more distracting than all of the other options in our car.

What's next...... will Mazda lock up my stereo so I can't change the channels or maybe they should lock up the IPOD module when I'm driving, because looking for your favorite playlist or tune is more distracting than a Nav system anyway.

The newer Infiniti's lock up the same way, but the voice recognition I witnessed in an MX35 was amazing, maybe Mazda could take a look. If anyone has determined a fix, please let me know.
    According to your logic, all Toyota/Lexus vehicles with NAVI are ripoff also.
    They all have the same Denso system but different GUI (graphical user interface).
    They all lock up your NAVI screen at 5-mph and above. Their voice recognition all suck big time.
    Can't comment on Toyota or Lexus, haven't experienced either...can only comment on Acura and Infiniti, which have voice recognition capability that works. I personally believe Infiniti has the best voice recogntion I've seen, but Acura gives you the capability to talk or use the wheel(regardless of speed), so I believe this is the best overall.

None the less, as my previous post states, if safety is such the concern why doesn't my radio, IPOD, or any of the other option lock up when my speed is above 5mph, the Nav in my opinion, is no more distracting.
    There are ways to defeat the lockup.
    The easiest one is to cut the speed sensor input into NAVI unit and MFD.
    Install a switch so that when you need to enter info, switch it open. When done, you switch it back.
    I love my CX-9. IMHO, it is THE best deal in the segment.
    A safety lockup does not constitute a "ripoff" in my book.
    I have no desire to install such a switch. If I do, I will get a workshop manual to
    find the wire. It should be an easy job.
  • imamgimamg Member Posts: 136
    People do realise that if you have a POI or address already in the system that you can switch while you're driving ( on the fly )? And though the voice activation isn't that great... it is still functional...
    I love the car, I just can't stand the nav system. If I pay for something I can't use fully, it's a ripoff. I'm not inclined to cut the speed sensor, that's why I purchased a portable.

It's no different than messing around with your stereo or IPOD. Is it really a safety feature? If that's the case, I believe Acura/Honda would probably follow suit if it was such an outstanding "safety feature." They sell a few cars, and they've certainly sold more with Nav technology in them.
    Hi, All of you CX-9ers with NAVI system:
    There are two hidden modes (disgnostic and test) in your CX-9's NAVI system.
    You are able to calibrate and check settings through it.
    If interested, please read the .xls in the link.
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123676014
    These modes are described in WorkShop Manual of Mazda CX-9.
    Yes, I got one from eBay. It is as thick as a phone book. I am still reading it.
    P.S. proceed at your own risk :D
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    What am I missing?

I've been trying to program my home address into the "home" section of the destination menu; however, it is greyed out and does not respond to my touch prompts. Only the first three sections are highlighted and operational (i.e. "address", "point of interest", and "SOS emergency".

The initial navigation setup was performed by the dealer, so I cannot state with certainty that the unit was activated properly, but it probably was.

Could somebody please point me to the solution?
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    Same problem. Brand new CX-9 brought home today.

Have you found a solution?

Thanks
    I finally found the method to set the HOME deep down on another website for the CX-7. It's very similar to mine.

First, you'll want to set a regular memory point for your current home address. You'll see why later.

1) Hit Menu Button
    2) Select Address Book
    3) Select Memory Points/Home
    4) Select List
    5) Select Change until "Home" is shown at the title area
    6) Select Home from list (it's the only item shown)
    7) Map appears with "Edit Home Position" as the title

At this point, the Home setting stuck.

According to this other website you have to do the following, which was not required on mine.

Possibly...
    You must use the joystick move the cursor to the coordinates where you want to set the Home position. If you've set the memory point for your home address, it's as easy as scrolling over to that point, aiming the crosshair to the point, and hitting Enter. Home point is now set!
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Just a question.

Does it make sense to purchase a $2000 NAV option, when you can get a good text to speech GPS for less than $200? Is the factory installation 10 times better?
    Clearly the navigation system is inferior to any Garmin on Magellan system however, the onscrean display for music and MP3s is nice. Having this option keeps it on par with more luxury brands (as long as you don't show them the screen) and increases the re-sale value.
  • kbedwardskbedwards Member Posts: 41
    Does it make sense? No. Is the factory installed Nav better than a $200 GPS? Depends on how you use it. You would have to double or more that $200 to get a Garmin unit that will allow you to do routing like the Mazda's unit does. Plus built in bluetooth, plus voice recognitiont, etc.

Also the built in units tend to be faster...I never have to wait for a sat lock, but I do on my Garmin.

So no, it's not 10x better than a $200 standalone unit, and in MANY feature comparisons, it's actually worse (POI's are horrible, voice recognition is bad, not easy/clear how to upgrade to new maps, resolution of maps is awful, no 3D view for those who like it, interface plain and simple SUCKS)

But, it's not about functionality, it's about integration. No wires going everywhere, no worries about someone stealing your GPS, or having to remove the unit to prevent someone stealing, no extra bulk in your dashboard space. MUCH bigger screen than you get on typical separate units (this is the biggies imo). Integrated with your sound system, rear view camera, etc.

I weighed the two options for a while before plunking down for that option, and the reason I went for the built in is because they packaged it with the power rear door, which my wife loves (comes in very handy in several situations).

So it's not even really a $2,000 option, it's more like a $1000 or less one, depending on how much value is placed on the power rear door. Also includes the rear camera integration, which is priced at $500 or so. So $2,000 minus $500 for rear camera, minus let's say $500 for power rear, and you're at $1000.

If they had not paired the rear camera and pwr rear door with the option, I most likely would have gone the Garmin route instead. Obviously they know what they're doing wrt to marketing the options. :)
    I would say CX-9's navigation is almost 90% of what a Lexus navigation offers.
    If you don't believe me go check it out yourself. What is missing (the 10%) is the integration of ultra-sound screen, TPMS, etc. The navigation GUI is a bit simplified than the Lexus one. Other than that, both navigation systems are from Denso. Lexus/Toyota has not been known for offering the best navigation system (I believe Acura's is the best among all OE navigation systems).

Resale values? No, people who buy used vehicles are actually scared of the fancy electronics. Do you know how much it costs to replace the MFD (multi-function display)? At least $2000, if anything goes wrong.

Why OE navigation. Yes, you can argue all you want about your portable being better (I got one myself, also). However, consider the following differences an OE system has but your portable does not...
    (1) dead-reckoning (deduced-reckoning): OE system has inputs of steering angle and speed data from OBDII that enables it to continue projecting where you are fairly accurately in places where signal is weak or blocked (such as tunnels, among high buildings, etc.).
    (2) safety: I have seen many different ways to install a portable unit. I am not really comfortable with any of them considering the danger it poses in the events of a roll-over or just emergency braking. The portable units become projectiles that could hurt occupants in the vehicles.
    (3) integration: there is a cost for a better integration. An OE system integrate many aspects of the electronics much cleanly than add-ons. One needs to pay for such clean integration.
    To be fair, the $2500 also includes power-liftgate, and rearview camera. The true cost of the navigation is about $1500, which also includes VOICE command, which your portable system is unlikely to have either. So, the comparison is not so straightforward, IMHO.

As long as one is aware of the risk, the decision is one's to make.
  • pz_fazpz_faz Member Posts: 1
    Cool info about the cx9 navigation system,, I’m trying to get that system for my car but no lock, our local Mazda agent doesn’t have any idea about the cx9 navigation system,,, I tried other countries in the middle east but couldn’t get it,, all of them say that the cx9 does not come with that system, and it does in Europe and the US.. I really hope u can help me with this,, myb you can guide me to order it from Europe or the US, f you can then let me know,,this is my email ff_@hotmail.it
  • tucsonanstucsonans Member Posts: 8
    Just say "Display Auto Mode" and your problem is fixed! Another neat trick is "Display Dual Screen." You can go back to the original by saying "Display Single Screen.
  • jimevjimev Member Posts: 5
    I just got the up-date CD for the Navigation System for my 2007 CX-9

No up-date manual came with it to expain the new features which I am glad it
    has - but a few up-date pages would be helpful.

I just started using it today but one simple thing they have changed that I like
    is the CLOCK is accessed from the main screen...very simple - much better
    then having to go thru numerous screens to get to set / change the time.

I think there are more improvement...I look forward to stumbling over them.
  • nterminintermini Member Posts: 7
    Did you have to pay for this update? How did you get it?
  • moonsun41moonsun41 Member Posts: 1
    My navigation system used to work just fine...for about 6 months. Then, after putting in a destination, selecting guide, and travelling to within .5-1 mile of my target destination, the nav would state "On the way to your destination, there are roads with incomplete data. Follow the arrow and straight line distance..." What is odd, it shows my destination, on the road, in the right location and generally will show the turn by turn guidance on the right side of the map all the way down to the last turn, until the voice from hell comes on and tells me it won't get me any further. The location is still there, on the named and marked road, just no guidance.

I swear, it worked for 6 months. Then I took it to the dealer with the exact instructions, and they "reset it" and it works fine. It did work for them. Isn't that always the case? I can check the two locations they plugged in and it shows the turn by turn to the doorstep.

I have a list of 45/46 locations that I have tried in the last month or so, and they will not appear.

Note: The dealership is in a bordering county 25 miles away from me. The city is approximately the same size city (50,000 people) and all of my reference points except one are in my county. Also note, the only one that did work, is my work location which had previously been programmed in.

Dealership says I need the upgrade. I say if I pay for the upgrade, and it still does not work, I want my money back. I also say IT WORKED FOR 6 MONTHS!

Any suggestions or comments?
  • robjamellrobjamell Member Posts: 35
    Can you tell me how you eject the map cd(dvd)?

Thanks
    Rob
  • not_2_shabbynot_2_shabby Member Posts: 29
    The Nav on the CX-9 is a total pile of crap. The voice recognition doesn't work at all, the menus are confusing and the lockout is ridiculous. I tell it "go Home", it says seafood restaurant. I thought I could say "Go Home" according to the manual go home is a phrase that is available and it will guide me to my house. I thought the whole point of the voice control was to tell it where you want to go and it tells you how to get there. If you say bank it just pops them up on the map, but doesn't give you an option to get to the closest one. And it's not smart enough to know a passenger is in the seat to disable the lockouts. We drove all over in a test drive in a MB R350 and my wife could enter in destinations while I drove.
    So are all Toyota and Lexus NAVI systems. They all locked up above 5mph. They are all made by the same company, Denso.
    Agree that the Denso is really bad, compared to ANYthing out there by Garmin or TomTom. I know nothing about the company, but I bet it's a situation where they have these big contracts, have gotten complacent, and it shows. Looks like their software and front end is about 15 years old and hasn't been updated since they launched it.

Surprised Garmin has not beat them out to get a big contract to do built ins for the OEMS.
  • skr2skr2 Member Posts: 32
    Purchased a GT 08 CX-9 last month and noticed that that the maps are really outdated, cant find roads in my community. Checked the version and found that the version was 2006. Has anybody found a way to get the updated maps. Did anybody have to pay to get it. Any help would be welcome.
    thanks
    That's really strange! I bought my 2008 GT in December 07 and it has the 2007 map version. Interesting. Did you buy a new one or used? If new, I would certainly let the dealer know and ask for the updated maps.
    I brought it new. I asked the dealer who asked me to talk to Mazda and they said that i would need to purchase the new version map DVD. Where did you buy your Mazda, would appreciate if i can get the dealership and location, i can write to Mazda with that information.
    The Disc should be a Rev C or Rev D at least. The latest is Rev E, but it probably won't in your car. Rev C came out about 1 year ago. Rev D started shiping around Jan/February 2008. The discs are labeled.

Anything older (Rev B or A and the dealer, or someone preparing your car, replaced your DVD with one on the lot or someone else's old DVD. They've cheated you and it will cost you $300 for the map that should have been included with your new car.

Call the dealer owner and complain. If they don't do anything find out the regional VP for Mazda operations and complain.
    Thanks for the response. Really appreciate this. Will check the DVD to see what the Rev is.
  • jho8jho8 Member Posts: 1
    Went to Navteq and found out they have update 2008 Dec DVD for Mazda 3 and RX8, will that work in CX9?
    I won't bet my money on it...
    A NAVI disk contains new map database and the software to display it for specific model. For example, some model may have a different resolution display than the other. Therefore, the software won't work on a wrong model.
  • NWConnectionNWConnection Member Posts: 1
    Try pushing in the left button by the tach as it sounds like you have it enabled in the bright mode?
    I would appreciate if anybody can tell me how to get the contact information for the regional VP for Mazda operations.
    Any help would be very helpful.
    Thanks in advance
    Look at what this guy did to his Vette,
    http://www.southerncarparts.com/corvette-c6-nav-system-mod-ex-24.html

There is also a speed wire behind the CX9's Denso display.
    If we can install a switch like he did, this would make it the grey-out issue a history.
    First, we would need to find out which wire is the speed sensor input behind the unit.
    Installing the switch and locate it where you can easily reach should not be a problem.

P.S. coastaletech.com sells lockpick kits for Toyota/Lexus/GM/and soon Ford. However, none is available for Mazda CX9, though CX9 is using the same Denso system as Lexus and Toyota do.
  • kikatkikat Member Posts: 4
    I couldn't agree more... Voice recognition is terrible, but the lockout feature is the worst. If I have a passenger in the car, there is no reason for the lockout!
    This is so bad that it definitely reflects on Mazda. As long as there is no free update from Mazda sometime soon, I can and will not recommend the CX-9 to anyone.
  • vikefan7vikefan7 Member Posts: 8
    So you're not going to recommend a great car to someone simply because the NAV locks out while you're driving? How about you just give your very important recommendation that the NAV is a pile of sh*t and if they can just pull over or enter their destination before they leave it would solve the problem. Or, you could just tell them not to get the NAV....
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Mazda CX-9 and decided to drive versus fly when vacationing. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, April 10, 2009.
  • dragonvndragonvn Member Posts: 2
    Dear all.
    I live in Viet Nam. I had a CX 9 a year ago but NAV can not work. What can i do now? does any one know where to buy a DVD that can work in VN?
    Thanks.
  • jake64jake64 Member Posts: 2
    Does this system have the capability of storing the station in memory by name??? I can only get it to store station by number - so frustrating! I can also only get it to load one CD and it supposed to load 6.....
    It wont read the name of a CD nor the song names....what am I missing here?

:mad: :confuse:
    Storing stations by name....No
    It only stores by number.
    I have the DVD/NAV system with the 6 CD changer. You need to press the LOAD/Eject button you'll be presented with the ICONs for all 6 CDs and the display screen will tilt out to show the cd loading location. Press the CD location you want to load and the system will tell you when to load the CD (or eject).

The sound system will only display MP3 label tags of CDs burnt accordingly. It will not display names of traditionally burnt music CDs.
    >> It will not display names of traditionally burnt music CDs.
    I think it is the burner (software). Some high-end burner supports CD-text,
    most don't.
    Even most original CDs (especially older ones) don't contain CD-text.
    Get a good burner software and add the text (title, album, artist, etc.) yourself.