Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Power Window Problems

litehouselitehouse Member Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in Chevrolet
I bought a new 06 last year and have had nothing but problems. I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issues as me. I have been to many dealerships to have it looked at and also sent a letter to GM. I have been told that it is something that I am going to have to live with.

Now both front door windows rattle really bad. And there is something leaking into the car that makes the windows have a film on them.

Thank you for any input.

Comments

• jdodge0001jdodge0001 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer, which I love. I love the way it looks, the way it drives, and the overall features it has. HOWEVER, it is a piece of crap. My speedometer has malfunctioned which was 500 to fix, and then today I rolled my window down at the ATM and it would roll up. I had to drive home in the rain with my window down. The dealership says it will be roughly 500 to fix this also. Is anyone else have problems with the windows?
  • pez45pez45 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Silverado and I had the same problem last week. I have not had it fixed yet because I know it will cost a lot. It sounds like it has come of of the track and I had to pull it up by hand to help the power motor. I am sorry it happened to you to, but I am glad I am not the only one. I also get a loud "pinging" noise, like the sound of metal popping, all the time. Seems like it happens about 5 to 10 minutes after I park the car. Anyone else getting that?
  • litehouselitehouse Member Posts: 4
    update:: The windows and doors rattle really bad, I have had it in the shop so many times. I have been told it is the way it is build. The speakers keep blowing, and they rattle also. This car sounds like a rattle box. Is anyone else having problems like this? The stablizers have been replaced and are shot again. I am ashamed to have anyone in my car. There is a film that gets all over the interior windows. And now there is a smell that smells like something is burning. I have taken the car through the BBB and lost, since GM said..."this is how the car is made, and other windows rattle also"
  • walshdevo668walshdevo668 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 04' Trailblazer. For some reason today the drivers side window controls would not work. The other 3 windows work fine when usuing their individual controls but the drivers side master control doesn't work on any of them. Now the power window lock and door lock on the same drivers side control works fine, just the windows. Checked all fuses, wiring behind door panel. Could I get a little help with a fix or the reason for this problem.
    Thanks, Jim
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't know it my experience helps or not - different make and all. But I have carbon problems now and then on my master window switch. It's a pain to try to clean.

This is what mine does:

window switch

If you can get access to the switch, you may try some electrical contact cleaner on it. That didn't do any good with mine though.
    You said the electrical cleaner didn't work on yours, what do you use to clean it, if that's my problem?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oh, I tore my switch apart and cleaned the contacts with cotton swabs and the contact cleaner. Just spraying the fluid in the switch didn't help in my case.

I was given a broken switch to play with first, but after all my testing, I still had to glue the switch housing back together on the one in the van. Since my van is turning into your basic beater, I don't mind the scars. A new switch runs about $80 in my case.

Maybe someone with better electrical skills than me could tell you how to bypass the switch for testing purposes so you can rule it in or out.

Btw, my master switch controls two windows, and only the driver's side was carboned up. Makes sense I guess since that's the one that gets the most use.
    Thanks for your help...I'll give it a try!
  • dilbert_624dilbert_624 Member Posts: 1
    You could check the cable guides. They have a tendency to un-spool from the motor housing. If you the guts to tear the down apart, and get dirty, you will need to pry the clips on the panel, then remove the motor. held in place with 3 screws (8mm screws) carefully rewind the cable if the spool is still good, replace and should be good to go. The cables must be very snug. Good luck. Try and get some buddies to help.
  • mstiff79mstiff79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer. I have had the car for 3 years and have never had any issues until now. When I roll my windows down from the driver side controller the windows come right back up. I have to actually hold the button down for the window to stay down. Its a pain at the drive thru!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Mstiff79,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information so I can look into the situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • mogoamericamogoamerica Member Posts: 6
    I have a window issue in my 07 Trailblazer. Rained one day with the driver's window open. Was able to shut it, but nothing worked the next day. Key fob will lock all doors except driver's. Windows, automatic lock don't work. Light doesn't come on when you open driver door. Radio shuts off immediately when you shut ignition. Two dealerships told me it probably wasn't a fuse and it was the unit in the door. The unit itself is $265-299 which doesn't include install and programming. :cry:
    Hello Mogoamerica,
    I do apologize that you are experiencing problems. Did the dealership state this problem was caused by water from the window being down? Either way, I can understand your frustrations. How is it that I can help you today? Thank you,
    Hello,
    I'm know it is from the window being down, it poured...:( My question is can I get the piece and replace it my self, or does it have to also be programmed like one dealership told me? Thank you!
    Hello Mogoamerica,
    Unfortunately, I am not a service technician and cannot answer the question properly for you. You can ask the dealership if it does have to be programmed or not. Thank you,
  • ray555ray555 Member Posts: 1
    i need a little help i have a trailblazer,the drivers side window was going real slow so i greased the window tracks,two days later the window would not shut all the way,looking from the outside it would be the upper right corner that was not closing.i took the door apart and what seems to be happening is that the two clips that are holding the window up are about an inch lower then the window and i cant figure out how to adjust them.can anybody help, thank you
  • tyemmatyemma Member Posts: 1
    Everytime I start the vehicle or shut-off the vehicle the rear passenger window goes down. The switch on the driver's door only let's you put the window down, not up (could be a separate issue).

The switch on the rear passenger door will allow the window to go up and down.

So, anyone know what I can do short term (pull a fuse)?

And the long term solution?
  • sbilinskisbilinski Member Posts: 4
    I recently had to take my 2006 trailblazer in because the frt passenger window wouild not go up all of the way. It was a motor replacement at $350.00. Now we smelled burning inside the power window (drivers side) door panel. the result no buttons work on the panel. Took apart and melting inside panel. Was told it was caused by the motor on that window. Another $350.00 down the tubes. What is going on with the Manufacturing of these vehicles. Time for someone else to pay other than the owners. Oh yeah the passengers window motor has been replaced 2 times now. The first time was with our warranty. Unacceptable!! Please reply. Thank you.
  • babooannbabooann Member Posts: 1
    Mogoamerica -
    I'm having the same problem with my '05 Trailblazer. Would you mind sharing the verdict on the programming question? Thanks!
    I haven't bothered getting it fixed yet. Sorry. I know on the 07, the master power window switch by itself was about $297 last summer and that didn't include installation and programming it. They are easy enough to swap out, but two dealerships said they need to be programmed. This model goes for 06-09's so I'm not sure about the 05's... maybe they are different. Not like the old days where you could just pop one out and put in another and be all set. I was going to get one from a junk yard last summer, but then my brother pointed out that a lot of wrecks usually have windows open and jaws of life blah blah blah and they get rained on, and there is no warranty, so I may as well buy a new one. I'll get it fixed this summer. Got used to locking the door the old fashioned way and opening the door at the drive thru...:)
    Yes I will post the verdict. GM is in the process of working the issue and will get back with me soon.

Steve
  • kfullmerkfullmer Member Posts: 2
    Have you received word yet from GM in regards to the issue with the Chevy Trailblazer power windows?
  • kfullmerkfullmer Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer and my right side passenger window will not go up all the way. I have had this issue in the past and had to replace the motor about 2 years ago. At that time the window was all the way down and wouldnt move. It cost approximately $300.00. At this time my window is half way up and wont move. Im getting a little upset because I dont really want to spend another $300.00 on a window that was just fixed. Please help.
    Kfullmer,

Did you have the previous repair performed at a GM Dealership? Can we follow up with that for you? Send an email with your contact information to the address in my profile, and we’ll go forward from there!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • juliaspikejuliaspike Member Posts: 1
    i would also like to complain about my "new" used chevy. i just got it and things are really wrong with this truck. the drivers side door panel does not work half the time.. the other day i got stuck in my car. the door was locked, and i tried to unlock it manually and with the button, and nothing worked. what it there was an emergency? i had to unlock it from the outside, after getting out through the passenger seat. the window buttons make the windows go down, but not back up. i have to climb to each window and use those buttons, might as well have manual windows. i don't want the window motor burning up, that sounds dangerous. and i don't know if this is related, but when the truck is idling, about every 10-20 seconds the lights dim and the engines sounds like it falters, then it kicks right back up. hmmm. i just paid an arm and a leg for this used vehicle, it's no wonder the previous owners turned it in. there's not a chevy dealer in town, but i would love to give you all my vin info and whatnot to see what you can do to help us. i am not paying for repairs on a truck that is only 5 years old. this is obviously a manufacturer error. :confuse: :confuse:
  • frustrated61frustrated61 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 trailblazer with less than 23,000 original miles. My drivers side window gets stuck and will not go UP! The passenger side seems to have a similar problem, but it does go up, unlike the driver's side.

With a vehicle that has this low mileage this type of thing should not be happening. Why wasn't there a recall about this, since so many people are having the same problems. We buy a vehicle and expect it to last!!

So, what is the problem? Is it something I can fix myself? How can we figure out what exactly the problem is? Could it just need a new switch? :cry:
  • shoobyshooby Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Trailblazer. Similar problem. One day all power to driver side door died! Remote unlocks all doors except for Drivers side. No buttons / switches on driver side door work. I can't control windows, locks or mirrors from driver side controls. All other windows work when you use their button on their door. I was told to replace the main Drivers side window control switch. ($250 on-line) Can anyone confirm this will resolve the issue? Don't want to throw $250 out the window. And does it really need to be programed as someone in this forum stated?? If so, that's completely ridiculous! In closing, this vehicle has been the BIGGEST P.O.S. I've ever owned! Only 50K miles and more problem than you could imagine! Sorry to say this will be my LAST GM vehicle I ever own!!!!
    If the radio immediately shuts off when you turn the ignition off then it could be a fuse. I left the window open in the rain. I closed the window, but I fried the door control and blew a fuse. I took a flat screwdriver and carefully pried the door control out and it had a burn mark on it and stunk. All parts of that door were dead to the point when you opened it, the map light didn't even come on. Other doors all fine and locked with key fob.
    The door control for an 07 was $265 which sucked. My dealership charged for a half hour of work to program it. Call around because some will try to charge you an hour and all their prices vary. Check the fuse first though. My next vehicle will have an old fashioned crank... good luck.
  • nascar15nascar15 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2007 trailblazer and i am having major problems with this vehicle. first the gas gauge went out and i am constantly running out of gas which is a danger to me and my small children. now the power window switch on the driver's side is not working. who can i complain to.
    I got a letter from Chevy last summer. They know there are problems with the 07 TB gas guages. They offered to pay for HALF of the repairs. AS IF I am paying half! They need to pay for the whole damn thing! That's a $400 job. I set my trip odometer to zero when I fill up. I refill when I get to 300 miles. I can go up to 380... I tried that once and ran out of gas one summer... So I figure 350 in summer and 300 in winter since they put extra crap in our gas at that time of year and I'm using more 4x4...
  • shoobyshooby Member Posts: 4
    Yup! I had to do the same thing.. I got the letter from GM a week after I replace the gauge. (Which is the entire fuel pump!) I think the damn thing cost me $250.00 if I remember correctly! I installed it myself! I sent them a nasty letter and a copy of my receipt demanding full reimbursement. They sent back a letter saying it had to be done at a dealer.. bla.. bla.. bla! Now this damn door problem and i also have my oil light on and check engine light (AGAIN) Oil pressure is good, oil is clean. Ran diags and no computer codes for the oil light but numerous codes for communication error.. WTF is that?? Soo sick of this P.O.S!!! Cant wait to get rid of it! NEVER BUYING GM AGAIN!!!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Hello nascar15,

I'm sorry that you aren't feeling safe about this vehicle with your children! What steps have you taken already to get this looked into?

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hello shooby,

Did you pursue the reimbursement at the dealership? Did you ever hear back on that?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • leannajonesleannajones Member Posts: 2
    GM lies...I have a 2006 chevy Trail Blazer and nothing rattles. You said something smells like its burning...it is probably your main window power switch. Mine caught fire, its very unsafe. When I contacted GM they told me I would have to pay for it myself. But I have recently came across a blog that the safety commision is asking for this problem to be a safety recall before some dies in a car fire due to this problem. I am now letting everyonr know that they need call and make a complaint so that GM has to fix the problems with these vehicles....Please call 1-888-327-4236 and let them know about all the issues you are having including the burning smell. We pay good money for these trucks and shouldn't have to pay to fix GM's mistakes.
    I will never own another Chevy again. Right after we paid it off, the engine blew- we took it to the dealership when the check engine light came on. They could not find anything wrong with it..TWICE! So it blew a bearing. Had to get a rebuilt engine. Now the air vents do not work. I am so tired of all the problems..the windows, the rattles, speakers, engine, air vents. I take great care of my cars but this car seems like it's been beat all to heck. Maybe one day GM will get it right?
    I also have a 2006 Blazer and had a fire in the main door switch box. We had to pay for the entire switch box and new window motor/regulator in drivers door.
  • frustrated61frustrated61 Member Posts: 3
    @Sarah - Gm Customer Service

How come you only reply to this particular person - can't you see we are all having the same problems.

Maybe it's time we all file a lawsuit with GM for failure to acknowledge our problems we are all having and fix them they way they should be fixed and not half assed
  • 07tbss307tbss3 Member Posts: 1
    Well...It seems the window problem is not exclusive to me. My wife called me this morning and told me that on her way to drop our 3 year old son off at daycare and proceed on to work, she had to stop on the highway and pull our son out of the car because she smelled something burning. But she couldn't, because the door wouldn't open. She tried manually unlocking the door, nothing. Rolling down the window, and again nothing. So she had to climb over the center console and exit through the passenger side door. Come to find out, the master window switch had CAUGHT FIRE and melted the circuit board. I am absolutely outraged that this many people are coming forward with this issue and it's not being resolved. I have owned this truck for 2 years and it now has 112,000 miles. Let me share with you some maintenance that has been done during that time. At 97,000 miles: transmission, right side of front differential shattered, broken sunroof(still not fixed), oxygen sensors, exhaust manifold gaskets, tire pressure monitoring system, and stabilitrac sensor, all of this went wrong from when I bought it with 82,000 from 97, 000 and the bill was $3,200. THEN... oh yes it gets better, a year after all of that gets done it has to go in again. This time it has 110, 000 miles and I take it to my buddy to repair (works at an auto repair facility) on March 2012. Here is the new list... left side front differential is shattered, stabilitrac sensor broken again, all four upper and lower ball joints are loose, both outer tie rod ends are loose, pinion seal leak in the rear differential, power steering lines are leaking badly. Now after spending an additional $3,600 for the second major repair in the 30,000 I've owned the car, it looks like I will have to shell out another $350 for a window switch?? Come on GM, RECALL PLEASE. Any suggestions?
  • joerobertsonjoerobertson Member Posts: 1
    I aint buying another chevy again...not ever...I bought a brand new trailblazer in 2006.. and the thing is a headache..The gas gauge quit on me..The windshield washer don't work..idler bearings on the engine have been replaced.. the back glass won't lock. The driver side window controller burnt out and the new one I bought don't work..I blow head lamps tail lamps and turn signals pretty regular.. the right front speaker plays music when it decides to..I own two other vehichle besides this one, both are Fords, thank god for that..This vehichle is my punishment for not owning three fords..Now wander chevy went under and had to take a goverment bailout..
    And now the radio is going yet again. I just had a new one put in last year and now the display is shot. So, along with the windows, the way it rides, the stereo, the engine...I am so done with this SUV. I wish that I could sell it and buy something that is not going to cause me so much problems.
  • slickdaveyboyslickdaveyboy Member Posts: 2
    We purchased an 04 trailblazer 2-3months ago, everything was great, until now we are having issues with left side window not working.
    lifted the seat to check fuses. the main resettable breaker for the windows get's so hot you can't touch it. I pulled it out for a few days, it was ok then acted up again same thing too hot to touch. If that wasn't enough, now the left turn signal is blowing fuses, thought I replaced and and had it working tried to make it blow by using signal and anything else I could think of.
    a day later my wife calls me and says it's blown again.
    This is the 1st chevy we ever owned, right now I'm thinking I made a mistake. Taking to chevy garage on Wednesday. anyone have some good advise on what may be the issues with this? The more I read the more worried I become of the future of this vehicle and my wallet.
  • slickdaveyboyslickdaveyboy Member Posts: 2
    Follow up on 04 blazer with blowing fuses and breakers; dealer called won't be finished until tommorrow, they found the problem with blowing fuses and breakers. the wiring under the floor interior I think running allong top side of rocker panel to rear fuse box wore thru its casing and shorted out. I know they got at least 4-5 hrs in at $75 an hour fiiguring it out.
  • jinesjines Member Posts: 1
    Here's a new one for my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. When I turn the ignition switch on without starting the vehicle all 4 of my power windows work properly. When I start the vehicle all 4 windows begin closing by themselves without anyone pushing the power buttons in a pulsing manner, about 1/4 inch per pulse. Each pulse is accompanied by a click coming from the module on the driver's side door that holds the 4 window switches and automatic door lock switch. When the windows reach the fully closed position the pulsing and clicking continues as if the vehicle is still trying to close the windows even though they are closed. The clicking is coming from the 3 other modules on the 3 other doors as well. $290 to replace the main driver's door module plus labor to have it programmed. After playing around with this for about and hour my vehicle would no longer start due to low battery. Dealer said the entire problem could have been caused by a low voltage event. So I don't know if low voltage caused the problem or if I just ran the battery down while I was trouble shooting. Checked the battery after it wouldn't start and it was 11.8 volts. On the charger now. Any ideas anyone? Many Thanks.
  • trailblooeytrailblooey Member Posts: 1
    The driver's side window on mine went 3 weeks after we bought it. a few weeks after that the " service stabilitrac lmessage came on. brought it o the dealership and they said the switch just needed to be reset, it took them three minutes. two weeks later the same message came up took it back again and they said the sensor unit needed replacing but since the 30 day waranty was now expired it would be $3200. I am not at all happy with this vehicle.
    Good afternoon trailblooey,

Is your dealership one of our GM dealerships? If so, we're happy to look into this further with you! Please email us more details at socialmedia@gm.com including: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • leannajonesleannajones Member Posts: 2
    ok, GM has finally recalled the main power window switches, campaign number 12180. This happened on 8/15/2012. Today is 9/6/2012 and I am still trying to get this fixed, I am on the phone with Gm right now, and they keep giving me the run around. This is now my 10th phone call since the recall took effect. I was told 2 days ago it went though and to get my truck fixed, the dealership still has no info on this so they can not fix until GM gives the ok. Now today GM is telling me to pay out of pocket and if it becomes a recall they will reamburse me. I noe have the rep speaking to the dealership about this, I will let everyone know what they say in a moment.
    I wonder how that will work for me... I replaced that thing 1 1/2 years ago. I hope they pay me too. I will dig out my receipt. I was without a window control for almost a year and couldn't deal with it any longer so I paid for the damned thing. The new one feels hot too from time to time so I'm sure it will happen again. Let us know. Thanks.
    Hello there leannajo,
    Per a media release I see about this matter I see that the service procedure is being validated and that, as far as I can tell, this is all still an upcoming recall or special coverage (depending on the state of origin of the vehicle). Do you have a Service Request open with us?

All the best,
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • bbishop1bbishop1 Member Posts: 1
    I am also a victim of the possesed trailblazer.. My fuel guage went.. I now set the odometer when I fill up.. just this week my power windows went crazy and finally quit.. Luckily I have a friend that ordered the almost 200.00 dollar switch and replaced it.. The dealer said it needed to be programed which was not true.. I am fed up with this vechicle but I am stuck with it for awhile.. No wonder the car co. are going down the tubes.. My next car will be foreign.
  • sanibelschulzsanibelschulz Member Posts: 2
    About a year ago I had a new motor put in my driver’s door for the window. A few weeks back my gas gauge started not working and then my lights will not go on, my tail light have gone off, and the speedometer does not work. Now my driver’s side window goes down on its own the motor kicks in and window winds itself down. It takes a few minutes and then I can wind it back up and then a few minutes later it goes down again. I was reading on line and apparently this is a problem with the trail blazer. The VIN number of the car is 1gndt135842447625 2004 Chevy trail blazer 6 cylinder with the tow package. There is 175,000 miles on the car and we have kept it in very good condition. I thought there was a recall on this but it looks like it is only the 2006, that does not seem right and this could be a dangerous situation an accident waiting to happen