Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• ChasboyChasboy Member Posts: 186
    hpm, I have no idea what you are talking about. :confuse:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I was replying to your statement in message #1389, "There's an old saying: 'if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all'."
  • cvv011cvv011 Member Posts: 8
    Got the tires all to 33-34 psi (cold), and it definitely made a difference as for the "steering wander" off center. It's better, but still feels as the car lacks this center stability at high speeds (70-80), and keeps wondering to either side at times. Of course, it could be a road condition, but when you switch from one car to another and use the same route, you feel it. By the way, I compare the TL to the Siena van.

Anybody with the same experience?
    cvv, so which car are we insulting here? :) My TL is dead solid like on rails at any speed. Of course the Sienna is a great vehicle, and should also be steady.
    It seems like at different times, one tire or another on the TL is 1 lb. off. I notice nothing at all. If you truly feel something, go back to the dealer while it's still fresh. Could even be a sticky caliper, but then you said it got better when you evened out the pressure.... :confuse:
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    Sounds like the car is tram-lining. When you have wide, low profile tires, imperfections in the road tend catch the tire and move the car around. Higher profile tires with a larger sidewall (like a Siena, for instance) tend not to do it as much since the sidewalls are more flexible and "bend" to the imperfection. FWIW, my 330Ci with 245/40 rubber is much more susceptible to this than my wifes Odyssey.

I've put ~150K miles on my car and I'm on my seventh set of tires... several different models from a few different manufacturers. Some tires have suffered from tramlining much worse than others. They've all been the same size, so tread pattern and/or sidewall stiffness come into play.

edit:

I just found this link that explains tramlining better than I ever could...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=47
  • umalum1990umalum1990 Member Posts: 9
    I agree.. the weather map option is not big deal.. cool to look at but not pay for. The cooled seats would be awesome. I traded in my 06 Lexus GS for my TL and I miss those a/c vented seats now that Miami is hitting 90 degrees and sunny, daily!
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Would like confirmation or refutation regarding the headlights on the 2009 TL. I understand that the 2009 Acura TL doesn't offer in either model or with any package or option, an automatic headlight feature (i.e., the headlights can be set to go on automatically based on the input from a photocell when ambient light drops below a certain level. Is this true? This would be really disappointing as I've had automatic headlights on my American-made new cars since 1999.

I also understand that there isn't an option for Xenon headlights. Is this true? Not that big a deal, but most cars in this class offer them as the future standard auto headlight.
    cebteb, the lights go on automatically. You can chose the setting. The light is also very white, whether Xenon, I don't know. The lighting is ample.
  • draz2draz2 Member Posts: 50
    While we all know the TL is an awesome vehicle (and an absolute steal for the money), it's not perfect. Of the following "missing features" how would you rank their desireability?

A - Electronically controlled tilt/telescope steering column.
    B - Rain sensing wipers
    C - Cooled front seats
    D - Electric rear window sunshade

My order is pretty much as above.
    (Any "missing feature" ommissions I've forgotten about?)
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    get the RL it will fulfill your needs.
    Draz, of all the ones you list, my order would be C, B, D, A, with the last 2 way down the list.
    I'd vote for "none of the above," because of the law of diminishing returns in terms of cost-to-own. Luxury cars are fast becoming so complex that many are money pits once the warranty expires. This depresses residual values, because second owners can't afford to maintain them, not to mention third owners.

I think the money spent on superfluous features would be better spent on bullet proof quality.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    A. It has a tilt/telescoping steering wheel, who cares if it is electronically controlled.

B. I've had rain sensing wipers since October 2002. They are great if you hit a sudden thunder shower or get an unexpected road splash from a passing truck, but they are annoying as hell when they go off for no good reason, windshield washer spray from some other vehicle on the road, in a car wash. Nice feature to impress your friends, but one that most can live without and not notice.

C. Probably really nice if you live in Arizona, otherwise this is not in the same ballpark as heated seats. A do-dad.

D. Another do-dad.

There isn't anything compelling on this list unless you live in Arizona, cooled seats, or Seattle, rain-sense wipers.
    Never had a car with Rain sensing wipers, thanks for the insight on that.

Cooled seats- I test drove the GS350 several times last summer and found them quite useful.

Electronic tilt wheel- I had them on my 99 Millennia but honestly, I dont miss them.
  • neimanneiman Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if you can prevent the Nav on 2009 TL from prompting you to enter OK everytime you start up the car? It is starting to get annoying.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    In the list of comfort features, I'd also add a heated steering wheel. If you leave your car outside on frosty nights, this feature is VERY NICE to have.
  • neilmanneilman Member Posts: 42
    Having a tough time pulling the trigger on a TL. Really love the new look, edgy, futuristic and bold. But:

TL with tech:
    Seat too firm, lumbar support protrudes too much even when fully adjusted back...has anyone else found this to be true? I have a history of back problems...do not want to make a mistake and have to re-sell quickly and lose money. I'm told by the dealer the SH seat is softer...have yet to test it fully. Acura info is that SH side bolsters are enhanced...nothing about the whole seat being softer...is it really softer all around?

Wheels are a real problem...dislike the stock wheels look and size too small. Upgrades are ridiculously priced...around 3k for chrome with new tires. Could spend the same money to get the SH instead...but really concerned about the hard ride with the sport tuned suspension. The wheels on the SH are better...but not ideal...as they show too much of the brake assembly etc. Also, there aren't even any pictures of the car with the upgraded chrome wheel option...the pics on th acura site are with wheels that are not what is offered as an option...pretty ridiculous actually not to have the pics showing the options being offered.

Would love to have softer seats and AWD without firm suspension. How firm is it really anyway? I would not typically buy something with a firm ride. Love the idea of AWD since we got tons of rain here in South Florida and my gut feeling is it would be safer and fun to drive.

The infiniti G is my next choice...pretty much giving me all I need...but not too excited about the styling, smaller size, and the fact that model is mid-generation and will change in 2 to 3 years. May have to pull the trigger and get the G if I can't find a solution that works on the TL. The G offers factory upgraded performance wheels for an additional $500...very reasonable compared to $3k wheels for the TL...and can't even find any pics to see what it would look like (the build your TL web pics aren't good at all)....and no information on what tires would be installed with the chrome wheels...I'm thinking a 245/50/18 would be less harsh than a 245/45/18 like what you get on the SH, but I think they use the lower profile 45s.

Help!

Thanks!
    There's a saying that applies to your hesitancy on the TL, "when in doubt, stay out."
    I've had rain sensing wipers since 02 and love it...I live in South Florida where it rains a lots...really helps to keep my hands on the wheel rather than fussing with the wipers...a the rain constantly fluctuates from hard to soft etc. Definitely would have a tough time if I had to give it up. Unfortunately it is difficult to find in up to $45k vehicles...I see it as a safety feature versus luxury. It is standard on BMW if I'm not mistaken...although they charge extra for paint and nickle and dime on all else.
    Thanks...hpmc...that's good advise I'm sure.
    Question for those who have the new TL...that's a lot of chrome on the front of the car which is subject to bugs road tar etc....how has the grille held up so far? Any blemishes? Dings?

Thanks!
    I own the FWD/Tech car and it's just awesome. I drove the SH-AWD car and (for me) it was way too hard riding. But then I live in NYC and the roads here aren't the best. But I'd be very careful before buying the AWD car because of the hard ride. As for the wheels, I guess I'm one of the very few who actually like the design of the 17" stock rims. They ride on 50 profile tires which still provides a fairly firm ride without being, in any way harsh. If you move to 18" rims (to keep the overall diameter almost the same), you're going to need to change to 45 profile tires and that will definitely make the ride harder. The seats on the AWD car are more heavily bolstered on the sides and that is something I didn't like. I found the seats in the FWD car to be just about perfect. I don't find the lumbar support to be intrusive in any way but I guess if you have specific back problems that could be an issue. Is suspect it might be an issue with any car seat though as the seats in the TL have garnered almost universal praise for their comfort. I looked at the G car and it was way too cramped for me. I also found that the engine noise was too "buzzy." While that could be fun for a while it's definitely a turn-off as a daily driver. And the nav screen was nowhere near as clear as the one in the TL. have you looked at the new Lincoln MKS with the new 'Ecotech' engine? On paper it sounds like something you may like if you decide against the TL. The TL is one awesome car though for the money!
    So far so good.

I love my "beak."

(lol)
    Thanks Draz2...appreciate the input...

I'm happy to report I went back to the dealer and sat in the car today and by making adjustments to the seat bottom to be flatter rather than having the back part on a decline I was able to relieve the pressure on the lumbar area...it's actually what I do in my car now..but had not remembered that detail. Looks like it might actually work out for me...only thing now is sh vs fwd...love the power and handling of the sh...our roads here in South Florida are pretty good...but the trunk is cramped because of the awd and has many uneven surfaces which would make it pretty hard to maneuver even one large suitcase into. I still want the sh though...need to think through it.

Thanks!
    I agree about the standard wheels. I liked them better, but now that I'm used to the SH wheels I like that they are a little 'badass' looking with the darker color. I was in NYC yesterday and the car handled the road fine. I'm old fashioned and because of my first car, a 1959 Fiat with a BAD front end, I'm hysterical about hitting any bumps. I love my car. My brother who lives in Fl. told me he pulled up next to one and enjoyed the growl coming from the exhaust on the SH.
    As for the "beak", I'm starting to have concern about the long term durability of the finish. It should not need to be polished whenever there is a watermark.
    In warm climates with straight, level roads, the negatives of all wheel drive (weight, fuel economy, complexity, extra initial cost) outweigh the positives by a wide margins. I might choose SH-AWD over FWD if I lived in the Upper Midwest, the Rocky Mountain region or New England, but never if I lived in Florida. Never. Rain or no rain. AWD in Florida is the equivalent of using a cannon to kill a mosquito.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    I am disappointed the 09 does not have manual transmission. Does anybody know if the 10 model will have that option?
    I believe it will be offered in 2010.
    I'm becoming very concerned about the grill's durability also.
    Can you be more specific...are you noticing any problems? It is a massive amount of chrome for the front of a car, which usually takes the most wear and tear. I don't know of any other vehicle with a large solid piece of chrome in the front like the TL. It may have to be something to add to the cost of ownership...i.e. having to replace it after every few years or somthing. Doubt that would be cheap...
    Neil, this would not be the first time a manufacturer had to come up with a solution to cure a problem. There is no way the customer should have to pick up the cost of replacing what could develop into a design flaw. When I picked up the car, it had watermarks on the grill. I mentioned this and the detail guys polished them all out nicely. I have since seen similar marks left when washing(didn't dry it thoroughly the first time) and they seemed to come out. Naturally the grill is going to take a lot of bug and road debris hits. All of that has cleaned up well. However, I'm keeping a close watch on it and I might start a 'complaint campaign' to Acura if it seems that long term durability is going to be a problem. We own this car and plan to keep it a very long time. :D
    I fully agree...owners shouldn't have to deal with living with dings / blemishes or spend $$ to replace a grill due to lack of durability or poor design.

Thanks
  • goddess_1goddess_1 Member Posts: 19
    What is UP with with '09 TL body styling??? Yes, it made an impression but it's not a positive one. That rear is hideous, the front isn't much better, and I just don't understand what happened. Maybe someone from their design team can fill us in . . .
    I understand it's not for everyone...it seems to be a love it or hate it thing. Based on the official sales figures for the month of May the TL is acura's # 1 seller at the moment...so it seems to be catching on. I for one think it is awesome...bold, aggressive, etc. absolutely love it and can't wait to get one in black.
    Agreed Neil, I like the bold styling. Looks fast standing still to me. I also am a fan of the 'bustle back' going all the way back to the second gen. of the Caddy Seville. For me, the TL is the chance to own a great driver's car that is about the size of a BMW 5 series at much less cost. We loved our 325i, but this car is better at everything except mileage, but I knew that going in.
    Going out on a limb, here -- I think the bold styling you speak of is a testosterone thing. Seriously, and not to offend. I don't notice women driving the Seville, CTS, or the Chrysler 300 -- all bold, in-your-face styling. For me, the new TL would be a bit more palatable without that pointy center bumper thing - it reminds me of a cheap plastic toy. I'm sure it drives nice and has the great Acura reliability, but I wouldn't necessarily want to be seen in one.
    Any discussion of style is a version of 'going out on a limb'. Bold styling may indicate testosterone to some and to others it's just bold style...period. Having been a car fan for 50 years, my taste is far too eclectic to be assigned to the testosterone 'category'. Whether one person 'notices' a certain number of instances does not comprise hard data. I would be more interested in true sales figures.
    My wife chose our TL over BMW, Audi, Infinity, VW and Lexus. Her good friend drives a CTS, another, a 300.
    The proof in any car is the driving experience. Not wanting to be seen in one is truly limiting oneself and missing a great ride.
    Our of curiosity...what mileage are you getting?

I'm sure I've come across a number of posts on mileage...but it could take a while to dig it all up...so if you could let me know I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
    In mixed driving we are getting 21-22. Long term highway moves up to 24, but we have not taken many highway rides more than 40 miles. Our 325 got 23 around town. When we moved and my wife's commute was approx 25 highway miles with a minimum of local, it actually rose to 28. So, mileage is a bit less, comfort a lot more.
    Wow-23 around town, that's acceptable, I had the 2003 Type S and I barely got 17 around town.
    Hey, I'm not ashamed of being limited in my rides. :P

You're right about being interested in the data . . . research shows that men prefer an orange red and women prefer a blue red in paint colors (and clothes.) I stated a generalization -- general, not absolute -- and am pretty confident that sales data will back it up in time.

I remember when a good friend of mine (male) leased the Infiniti FX when they first came out . . . his male acquaintances liked it, his female acquaintances didn't. It's not the first time there is a gender difference in tastes!

BTW, does the new TL still retain the black steering wheel? If so, they should release the Arizona-limited edition TL, sans the black.
    That was my BMW 325. It was amazing with gas, but winter traction and the stick shift got old for us.
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 31
    i take it the trunk in the awd is too small - even for a few sets of golf clubs?
    I would doubt the trunk is too small for a few sets of clubs. Of course if the bag is like those I saw in "CaddyShack"...well, maybe.
    I don't think personal observation qualifies as a statistical generalization . I'll wait for real stats. :shades:
    My wife also hated the style of every Infiniti.
    The wheel on the taupe interior is black.
    21-22 mpg mixed sounds pretty good to me for the sh-awd...now if I can just get another manufacturer incentive to come out I'll be ready to buy!

Thanks!
    I have to check the sh trunk again....I have a concern... not about the overall space in volume, but, when I saw the one in the dealer showroom it had a variety of uneven levels / surfaces which could make it somewhat difficult to slide a big suitcase in on its wheels without having to turn it sideways to fit. With a large heavy suitcase that could be a pain. Perhaps it was the trunk liner the dealer put in...

I do believe there may be significant differences in the trunk layout (not in volume space) between the sh and base. I need to check it more closely...
  • jpdisarrojpdisarro Member Posts: 33
    I believe that the trunk for the SH-AWD is indeed slightly smaller than the FWD trunk and also has a surface that is not level because the rear differential protrudes into the bottom of the trunk.
    that is true. the AWD trunk is .6 cu ft smaller.