Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I just read an article about the Toyota Highlander hybrid. Seems that in the real world it's only getting 20 MPG around town...less than my new CR-V SE. In the end, it reinforces what I figured out when shopping for it this past spring...a good, tried and true Japanese 4 cylinder engine is a better bet all the way around than the still new hybrid technology. I guess eventually hybrids will be the default mode, but they ain't there yet. When you couple that with the fact that they get full sticker (and a higher sticker than non-hybrid, at that) versus a discounted price for gas vehicles, the hybrid makes no economic sense at this point. For those who want some SUV versatility/go in the snow, the CR-V can't be beat.
  • eroseros Member Posts: 27
    I test drove the CR-V SE and the Highlander (non-hybrid, 6 cyl) over the last couple of days. The CR-V went straight as an arrow, even at 70mph. I asked the salesman about the feared PTTR. He stated that all Hondas are engineered to pull slightly right to take them off the road, rather than into head-on traffic, if a driver falls asleep. Interesting explanation.

I felt that the Highlander ride was softer and quieter than the CR-V. No surprise there. I wasn't crazy about the need for Premium fuel in the Highlander because I commute a considerable distance daily. The SE was priced at 23,965 and the Highlander, with side curtain bags, at 25,900 (after a clearance rebate of $800).
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " He stated that all Hondas are engineered to pull slightly right to take them off the road, rather than into head-on traffic, if a driver falls asleep. Interesting explanation. "

Me thinks your salesman is an idiot. Do they engineer CRVs for Britain to pull slightly to the left where they drive on the other side?
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I asked the salesman about the feared PTTR. He stated that all Hondas are engineered to pull slightly right to take them off the road, rather than into head-on traffic, if a driver falls asleep.

He lied to you.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    We finally went and drove a 2005 CRV. We drove a 2wd model LX, there were no 4wd on the lot but they can get us one. My wife loved the car. The saleman was great...took us on a 25 minute test drive on the highway, backroads etc etc. We were going to wait for the newly designed RAV (we have an old gen one now and watch out---the new one is going to provide some more real competiton for the CRV as Toyota is increasing its size to be on par with the CRV!), but the CRV was impressive enough that we may not want to wait for a new RAV. I have some questions though first.

1) My wife said this morning that the only thing she did not like was that the car sometimes felt like it was driving off the road. I did not think twice about this until I saw the PTTR posts!. I need the skinny on this issue. Does it affect both 2wd and 4wd CRVs...remember we drove a 2wd but want a 4wd. Do all owners experience this? I can aasure you I have never had a fwd or awd vehicle that pulled in either direction unless there was a tire related issue? Are such issues inheret in the CRV...please lay it on the line for me!

2) Does anyone feel I should wait for the 06 model. What is the typical price increase? Is the CRV slated for any major changes this year. I know they made a bunch of stuff standard last year....no chance on color coded bumpers becomming standard on the lx is there?

3) The RAV we own is absolutely awesome in the rain and snow. How is the CRV...I know it is FWD until it slips...can you feel the AWD kick in? I heard certain OEM tires on some Vs should be avoided or replaced imemediately......whats up with that?

4) How is the car as far as rattles are concerned?

5) My wife like the alloys, any idea what that would cost me or am I better off buying 3rd party ones.

6) Any chance of the price getting better over the next month or so....they quoted me 20.8 for and 05 LX 4WD.

THANKS!!
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "CR-V has AWD while RAV-4 is 4WD I believe."

Nah, it's closer to the other way around. The CR-V has an automatically engaging 4wd system. It's 2wd until slippage, then routes power to the rears automatically. The RAV4 has an AWD system which is always sending at least some power to both the front and rear wheels. I think the RAV uses a viscous coupling design, but I'm not sure about that. Also the RAV4 offers a rear LSD.

Having said all that, I doubt anyone who is not racing these vehicles within the arctic circle is going to notice a significant difference between their AWD systems. Other vehicle traits will have a far greater impact on how well they perform.
  • kcreaturekcreature Member Posts: 17
    I have had my '05 CR-V for three days now, and am gathering the materials to do a thorough cleaning and waxing job (with Zaino stuff). My question is should I put wax on the dark gray bottom half (cladding??). The reason I'm Zaino-ing it is to get a better base so the paint stays nicer, longer. The bottom half doesn't seem to be painted, though. I guess I could try a small area, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts...
    1. The PTTR issue has shown up in both FWD and RT4WD CR-Vs. Very few CR-Vs have the problem. The only way to know for sure is to test drive the exact one you're going to buy. Take it to a flat parking lot, get it moving at a constant speed and let go of the steering wheel. If it drifts slowly one direction or another it should be fine. If it immediately heads to the right (or left) then it has the PTTR problem.

2. There aren't any expected changes for 2006. 2007 will be a complete redesign. Painted bumpers are only on the SE model.

3. My '99 is great in all weather conditions. In 2005 Honda changed the RT4WD system slightly so that it engages quicker, but it's still basically the same system. The OEM Duelers are reported to be very noisy. Mine came with BFG Touring T/As. I'm now running Yokohama Avid Touring's and they're quieter than the T/As were. I've also heard that some 2005 CR-Vs are coming with Dunlop tires.

5. Honda alloys are ridiculusly expensive. The Honda suggested price is $900 for four wheels. If you want alloys, either get the EX or go aftermarket.

6. Edmunds.com shows the invoice price for an '05 LX RT4WD as $20,280 (includes the $515 destination charge). I've seen posts on other boards of people saying they were paying below invoice.

Good luck.
    Thanks. The alloys are nice but I bet I can get a nice for 500 aftermarket.

I saw posts about under invoice as well. TMV is 10.8K which I think it has been all year...no? So far I have 3 offers: 20.8K, 20.9K and a low ball (?) 20.5K. Perhaps they are not as plentiful in the PA/NJ area so the price stys up. I just want to pay what most others are paying and don't want an 05 if I will get an 06 for the same price.....
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Sorry to interrupt - but check your email! Thanks.

tidester, host
  • skywatchbobskywatchbob Member Posts: 2
    I have a trailer that when filled with my equipment(a large telescope) weighs about 900 lbs.
    Do you think that the CR-V is up to the task of towing this trailer on long trips in sometimes hilly terrain? These trips will be vacations in which I may have camping gear and suitcases of clothes in back of the car. While the towing capacity suggests that I should not have a problem I wanted to see if anybody has had any experience towing with a CR-V.
    What year is your CR-V?

I don't have experience with towing, but I know plenty who do. Essentially, I think you'll definitely feel the extra weight, but not have any trouble with it. Just be prepared for lower gas mileage and be smart about climbing the steeper hills.
  • smalbanysmalbany Member Posts: 15
    I have been smitten with the car buying bug and I have got it bad! I currently own and drive daily a '97 Acura 2.5 TL that has 54K original miles. I bought it 2 years ago from the estate of an old fella who had to stop driving after a couple of years and thereafter would use it to smoke his cigars while parked in the driveway. The car runs OK and is a pleasure to drive. But it will soon need about $1,800 in maintenance (timing belt, hoses, tune-up and injector service). And, I have a lead foot and the Acura requires premium fuel. I have my eye on a 2005 Honda CRV EX and can get an advantageous deal. I want the CRV because I perceive it to be more economical, provide me with enhanced safety features and the all wheel drive would be nice to have in the mid-atlantic winters. I am having such indecision over this purchase. On the one hand the Acura is good daily driver but I am not crazy about putting nearly $2k into a soon to be 9 year old car. Howver, my upfront cash outlay to purchase the new CRV will have me making payments for 60 months. Anybody have some advice that they could share with me?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Ahh.... the eternal dilemma..

Good luck with it.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You gotta keep in mind this V6+electric motor is not just about fuel economy but also about performance. You can't really compare a 3.3l V6 with a boost to a 2.4l I-4. Plus it's bigger and heavier to begin with.

If Toyota wanted peak fuel economy on that model they would have used their own 2.4l engine or maybe even something smaller.

-juice
  • skywatchbobskywatchbob Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I don't own one yet, but am considering buying a brand new 2005. However, before I buy I was wondering if the car would be up to the task.
    Thanks for your help.
    Bob
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Can't blame you for wanting a new car; the 2.5 TL is a boring ride. But your message leaves me with the impression - possibly erroneous - that your finances are a bit shaky. If you can afford a new (& not terribly expensive) car only by signing a 5-year note, you should think harder about fixing what you already own. You say that you don't like the idea of spending $1800 on what's really a middle-aged car, but that won't cover more than 6 payments on a new CR-V. After that, you'll still have to come up with another 54 payments.

Hold off on a new car until you can make a much larger down payment.
  • abe8abe8 Member Posts: 5
    I have question about installing the security system on 2005 CRV LX. I took the CRV to the dealer ( as a part of the purchase deal) for install the security system. First they told me it take 2 hours but still has not been installed. Dealer has the CR V for the last 5 days and trying to figure it out. Is it that complicated to install a security system on CRV ?
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    And since you say you have a lead foot, you'll be taking a step down in pickup and acceleration going from the TL to the CRV. I don't know the HP and torque numbers but I gotta believe you'll miss the TL.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I have been smitten with the car buying bug and I have got it bad! I currently own and drive daily a '97 Acura 2.5 TL that has 54K original miles. I bought it 2 years ago from the estate of an old fella who had to stop driving after a couple of years and thereafter would use it to smoke his cigars while parked in the driveway. The car runs OK and is a pleasure to drive. But it will soon need about $1,800 in maintenance (timing belt, hoses, tune-up and injector service). And, I have a lead foot and the Acura requires premium fuel. I have my eye on a 2005 Honda CRV EX and can get an advantageous deal. I want the CRV because I perceive it to be more economical, provide me with enhanced safety features and the all wheel drive would be nice to have in the mid-atlantic winters. I am having such indecision over this purchase. On the one hand the Acura is good daily driver but I am not crazy about putting nearly $2k into a soon to be 9 year old car. Howver, my upfront cash outlay to purchase the new CRV will have me making payments for 60 months. Anybody have some advice that they could share with me?

If your main reason for wanting to get out of the TL is the $1800 for maintenance, how can you justify spending $20K? You are going to drop a lighter weight TL with a 5 cylinder 2.5 liter with 176 HP and 170 ft. lbs of torque in favor of a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, 160 hp, 163 Ft. lbs in a heavier vehicle. I don't think you thought this out, and are just attracted to a new car, new car smell, new car features.

Don't expect CR-V with auto to be fast, it is going to be slower than TL. CR-V with manual may be a fast or faster than TL.

If you just want a new car, don't try making excuses as to why you should get it. If you like the CR-V, get it. Expect about $4500 from the dealer on the trade in.
    The CR-V won't be much slower than that TL... I think the 2.5 5-cylinder only had 172 or 176 HP.. (I had the same motor in the Vigor)...

It isn't like you are coming from the later TL with 220 hp... It won't be a big difference... The new CR-V is not a dog... even with the auto..

However, I agree with the others... I wouldn't trade just to avoid the necessary maintenance..

If you get the CR-V, I expect that you will like it, though..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    I noticed that the '06 Accord 2.4l 4cyl gets a bump in HP from 160 to 166 while gas mileage stays the same. Since this is the same engine in the CR-V, hopefully we can expect an increase, too.
    I wonder if it's really just the same engine, but now rated under the new SAE guidelines?

-juice
    I'm guessing the same... I guess a lot...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

According to Honda website " For 2006, the 2.4-liter engine, i-VTEC® adds variable timing control (VTC), boosting power and economy"

So it doesn't sound like it's just an SAE adjustment. .
    The Accord's boost in HP is not related to the new SAE standards. Had they been using the old standards, the engine would have gotten a 10 hp boost to 170. With the new standards, the net gain is only 6.

These changes will probably not apply to the CR-V as they are not actually the same engine. Same block? Yes. Same valve gear and tuning? No.
    That is why I post, when I don't know the answers.. It seems to elicit the correct information, that much faster...

You are welcome... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cmason1cmason1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been wondering about this? i have just purchased a second hand crv,and didn't know if it had an alarm system or not .I contacted the dealer i bought it from and they said they wern't sure? So it seems they don't have one.i know it has an immobiliser,but that sems about it. am i correct? my crv is a 2001 model
    :confuse:
    my crv is a 2001 model.
    i know it has an immobiliser,but that sems about it. am i correct?

The first CR-V with an immobilizer chip was the 2002, so your 2001 doesn't have it. If you have an EX (quick check - outside mirrors and door handles are the same color as the paint, or are they flat black? EX were body colored) you should have remote entry fobs for unlocking the doors, but that's not an alarm system.

The Honda security system has an LED light that mounts on top of the steering column. Do you have an LED light mounted there? It would be on the plastic cowl piece between the steering wheel and the guage cluster. The Honda radio has a flashing red light on it, but that's not an alarm system.

An aftermarket (non-Honda) alarm might also have an LED light mounted somewhere.
  • abe8abe8 Member Posts: 5
    Is 2005 Honda CRV LX pre wired for Security alarm system instalation?.
    I noticed that the '06 Accord 2.4l 4cyl gets a bump in HP from 160 to 166 while gas mileage stays the same. Since this is the same engine in the CR-V, hopefully we can expect an increase, too.

The new rating is from the new way of measuring the HP.

Accord and Element have the same engine, CR-V has the same block but different head, TSX has the most coveted dual VTEC head.

Temple VTEC dynoed Accord in 2003, when it first came out, and concluded that the 2.4L engine must have had 180 hp at the crank, and was underrated by Honda.
    Not just an SAE rating change.

Honda states: "For 2006, the DOHC i-VTEC® system enhances the effect of VTEC® on Accord's 4-cylinder egine by adding variable timing control, or VTC. This reults in an increase in horsepower from 160 to 166."
    Is 2005 Honda CRV LX pre wired for Security alarm system instalation?

You can download the install instructions at the H and A Accessories sponsor link at the top of the page.
    In that case the CR-V might get a slightly lower rating for '06, aren't all Hondas using the new SAE procedure to rate HP? Might be 155-156 I'd guess.

-juice
    Depends on what they did when they tested the engine. I'm expecting something similar to what you're guessing.

Blueiedgod - Jeff at TOV pretty much confirmed a boost of 10 hp for the 2006 Accords. He had various sources confirm it. That is what they were projecting based on the old standards. With the new standards, the gain is less, in part because the base HP rating is lower.
  • mambokinbmambokinb Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the CR-V Special Edition (SE) will have more color options for 2006? The color choices were VERY limited for the SE in the 2005 model year. Also, any news about the CR-V getting a hp increase in 2006 (like the accord 4 cy engine is getting) ?

- Mamboking
    Posted in the other forum as well

Definition of i-VTEC is VTEC with VTC. Accord 2.4L had that since it was introduced in late 2002 as a 2003 model. Am I missing something?

Accord and Element have the same engine, CR-V has same block but different head, just like TSX has same block but different head and pistons.

Edit I just checked the Honda site and this is what I see. "And every new Accord comes with revised steering and suspension, and a new powertrain warranty that covers 5 years or 60,000 miles."

I feel cheated with my 3 years/ 36,000 miles warranty. :-(
  • bradespbradesp Member Posts: 21
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2002 LX model CR-V AWD. One online guide indicates that anti-lock brakes were only availabe on the EX model, other sites indicate that in 2002 all CR-V's came equipped with Anti-Lock Brakes,

Can someone confirm if 02' LX models came with Anti-Lock brakes?

THanks,

bradesp
  • epm1epm1 Member Posts: 32
    in 02 when we bought our CR-V we were told ABS was not available on the LX even as an option- if we wanted ABS we had to buy EX -also at the time that is what Honda literature indicated.
    Finally. I'm surprised they held out for so long given Toyota has had a 5/60 powertrain warranty for a long time.

-juice
    You have been informed correctly. The LX model did not have ABS until 2005 when it became standard on all models. The EX model has always had ABS since 1998.
    I msised a post....what are you reffering too..is Honda adopting a 5/60 warranty on engine and tranny for 06?
    The Accord will, at least according to post 14785.

I can't imagine the rest of the lineup would not join it.

-juice
  • bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    2006 may not have an SE edition. Historically, Honda brings out the SE one year per generation. I think they keep the color choices limited to keep costs down. You can always have your bumpers painted to match if you purchase an EX.
    That may have been true when Honda's were on a 4 year cycle. But the CR-V had an SE in both 2000 and 2001 last time around.
  • tammytoonatammytoona Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a 2000 Honda CRV. Today was the first day that I took it to a car wash place. Well, as I was in the car wash, large amounts of water (I mean large amounts of water) began pouring onto the passenger side floor. It's hard for me to explain as I am not proficient with auto parts. The water was pouring under the plastic housing (the part that includes the dash board and the glove compartment) so that it was pouring out onto my passengers feet that were, at the time, placed as far toward the front of the car as possible in the passenger space (sorry to be so dumb, I hope you get the idea). Anyway, I remember when it was raining a few days ago, little bits of water were dripping from the same place, I didn't pay it much mind b/c I thought that perhaps the airconditioning vents were getting condensed (it had been very hot). But today, the water was literally pouring onto the floor. Has anyone had this happen? What might it be?
    Thank you so much!!!!!
    Tammy
    My guess would be a leak below the base of the windshield.

Can't say I've ever heard of this happening before, but there's always a first time. Perhaps someone botched the job when they replaced the windshield.
  • tammytoonatammytoona Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    Sorry folks. I think the area that the water came in is called the passenger side footwell. But it was pouring onto that area from above.
    Thanks again,
    Tammy
  • slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    A little while back, I asked if anyone had heard anything about a potential navigation option in upcoming CR-V models. I mentioned that since the '06 Civic was "rumored" to have navigation as an option, that the CR-V might someday have navigation as well.

"theracoon" thought I was nuts, stating:

"Ah, the new model rumor mill!"

"theracoon" later mentioned:

"As to a nav system option on the CR-V from Honda I'm not holding my breath."

Well, about 4 weeks later, since our last discussion, the rumors about the Civic are no longer rumors. The Civic EX and Si models have navigation as an option. See for yourself -- check out Honda's website for verification and photos. Yes, Honda's website, not a "rumor mill" website! Now back to my original question, what about navigation in the CR-V? Why not, since now the Accord, Pilot, Odyssey, and now even Civic have it?

From my perspective, as a potential buyer, it actually turns me away from buying a CR-V if it doesn't have the option! Besides, what does Honda have to lose if the navigation is an option? It's not as if it's a standard feature, in which case many people would be turned off by the extra premium in sticker price... I am sure they make a profit on them, especially for what they charge!