Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    This is a short list of what I plan to get for my next ride. Not to open a big comparison debate here, just my personal view/need.

Genesis: decent car, pretty good in all area, but I still cannot comfortably tell my friends and family I am getting a Hyundai.

ES: fits my need pretty well, you can probably see my needs and preference here.

TL: Had an accord in grad school, but have been driving a Camry for quite some time. This actually bias me toward TL for wanting a change, but being a practical person a few things bother me (will skip the pro as we all know these are all very good cars) that maybe you can give me some feedback:

- old 5-speed auto (hope the new 6-speed will be in 2011).
    - timing belt change down the road (1 grand, and yes I will keep it that long)
    - noise: in Accord it is almost a show stopper for me. TL is quieter, but seems still not quite there (what do you owners think?)
    - durability of parts: I heard the new 2008 Accord has new rear brake design that last about 20K! that seems to be improved by Honda a bit (don't know how much), how about TL? Things like this wouldn't make me a happy owner...

BTW, not AWD TL. Good handling is certainly good to have, by to me and my driving (bay area), the fun will wear off in about 1 month :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Just a few comments:

Regarding the Hyundai. It doesn't matter what your friends think, you're the one driving the car. What were your driving impressions?

ES - no comment (biting tongue).

TL - As with anything, perception is everything. The TL is not going to be nearly as quiet as the ES.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    nyc...you pretty much summed up my feelings on the brands you commented on quite succinctly.

As far as sales figures, Lamborghini sales were down in 2009. I think they sold less than 1,500 cars. I guess that makes them a a sub par car. :surprise:

I cross shopped the TL against....

-Infiniti G37
    -BMW 3 and 5 Series
    -Audi A4/5/6
    -Mercedes C and E Class.

Obviously, I preferred the TL SH AWD since that's what I bought.

It never even entered my mind to even pull in the driveway of the Buick store.....not once. I don't even think I got in the general vicinity of one that would cause me to even remotely consider pulling into their store.

Not saying they're bad cars. I just doubt there on anyone else's radar except for those who are big fans of them here in this thread. That begs the question of why even be in this thread if you're a Buick and Infiniti fan, and not an Acura fan?
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    Hyundai in automobile is going to be like Samsung in LCD/LED TV in a few years. I would be seriously looking into Genesis and the new Sonata if I were in the market for a family sedan.

If comfort is high on your priority list, ES is probably your best bet -- and you seem to put it as the benchmark. Handling-wise, I will put it last. In fact, it was not even on my list 4 months ago when I was shopping for sport sedan. Another thing to keep in mind -- current gen ES is 4 years old and a new gen is due next year.

IMO, even in FWD set up the TL is much more driver's car than ES. As to noise, I did not notice anything unusual or loud when I test drove the TL. But, like nyc said, if you are comparing it with ES, it is not going to be as quite. The 5-speed auto was a bit disappointment to me when almost every other car in this segment is equipped with 6- or 7- speed tranny, but not a deal breaker by any mean. Depending on your buying horizon, Acura may put the 6-speed auto in the ZDX to the TL.

You really can't go wrong with any of these 3 choices. Do some serious test drive and see where your heart set. ;)
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Sales Figures are what they are- they tell the story on whos buying what- since the new TL has been introduced you can make the assumption (using sales numbers) that it is not well recieved by the general public. 33k units sold in 2009. I used FACTS to come up with this arguement. It does not mean the TL is not the better car but has taken a hit due to the competition and economy.

I disagree that people are not looking at buick/acura - as noted Buick ads all over this page..(I know you didnt as you mentioned) Its not a direct comp but since acura has fallen from being a top brand buick making a run it seems more people will be looking as the new line is a direct comp FWD almost lux brand.

I like to see what owners are saying about the acura experiance- and my hope is the brand stays and they put some life into the cars-
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I was thinking about what you said about trade ins at Buick dealers and its funny, I went by my local Buick dealer twice today and typically at least once a day. I haven't seen any Acura's in the pre-own section of the lot yet, but I did noticed they had 4 Audi A4s on the pre-own lot! Just an interesting observation.
  • sanishsanish Member Posts: 66
    Are you sure that the new gen ES will be due next year. RX was redesigned in 2010 after 6 years and IS will get only a face lift for 2011 in it's 7th year. According to Lexus, the next gen ES will be different from Camry, don't know what does that mean (transmission, engine, etc). BTW, people in the market for reliable luxury car @ $35,000 will not cross shop ES and TL vs G, 3 series, C, A4, CTS or Genesis, they will buy ES if comfort is their priority or TL if sporty is their priority. Some people say that ES is guissed up Camry, I have 2 cents for them, drive a ES for a day and than make such stupid comments. Lexus sells approx 70,000 units a year and no other car mentioned above except 3 series come close.
    sanish....I agree. Few will cross shop the ES or Lacrosse with the TL. TL puts a priority on performance over ride. A person who put their priority on handling/acceleration, etc won't be pleased with either the ES or the Buick.

Admittedly, the only Lexus that I seriously flirted with buying when it first came out was the IS 350. Some of the features frustrated me (like the confounding NAV). But, generally speaking it wasn't a bad car. Still not enough for me to make an offer to buy one, though.

I do agree with you, the Lexus buyer (OK, include the Buick buyer, too) isn't likely to cross shop the Acura, BMW or Audi.
    edited June 2010
    ES has been on a 5-year cycle for the last couple generations (1997-2001, 2002-2006). The current gen came out in 2006 as a 2007 model, so I assume that the next gen will debut next year as a 2012 model. If the 2010 RX (which came out in March of 2009) is any indication, we might see the 2012 ES in the showroom in early 2011.

As to your other comment about cross-shopping list, I was merely responding to the OP who obviously does cross shop ES and TL vs Genesis. Everyone's shopping list is unique, depending on their price range and priorities. My short list contained G, TL-awd, and 3-series; briefly considered TL-base, A4 and CTX; as to ES, C, and Genesis -- never showed up on my radar screen.
    edited June 2010
    Funny I think if you did do some homework you could actually get a good deal on a 2008 or less better looking Acura because most of the leases are up and you don't have to deal with the premium for a bloated :cry: 2009 plus car. Better looking - lighter and still the same powertrain. Something Potential TL users should consider until Honda desides to redbull this rig. Smarty you should double check your Buick dealer tommorrow - smartyaz

I would say if pure dollars - performance - where something in this 3 car race it would go as follows- 2008 or older tl type s, then genesis, then es, then new tl.
    My reason is simple - used tl best looking of the 3 and if your into performance you can get a 6 speed for under 30k- next genenisis it's got more bhp then both RWD and is the size of a s- class for 40k. Es proven looker resale and a safe play. New TL same as the ES its fwd proven just no real curb appeal when it comes to looks.
  • sanishsanish Member Posts: 66
    I agree that the ES has been on 5 year cycle, but this time it might be on 6 year cycle. They will change the engine that is used currently on ES/RX to differentiate from toyota models, just a guess since Honda/Nissan do the same with most of their vehicles.
    FYI, IS was released in 2005 as 2006 model and needs to be redesigned in 2010 as 2011 model but that is not happening just a refresh again with 15% increase in fuel efficiency.
    As fas as RX, the next year model (2006-2010) was always introduced in Feb but with 2011 RX, it will be introduced in Fall.
    I agree that everyone's list is unique but if they are cross shopping FWD and RWD vehicles than they might be mis-informed.
    sanish...I have to admit, I haven't kept up on what Lexus has been doing. While I didn't shop the IS 350 against the TL (did that against a previous 3 series I had for awhile), I did shop the GS350 AWD briefly. Again, not a bad car. While Lexus does have the luxury quotient down, even the GS as their sports entry wasn't my choice vs the TL SH AWD.

I just think Lexus is going after a different buyer that those who are shopping Acura, Audi and BMW.

Even the Infiniti G is getting long in the tooth, and they appear to be moving the G down market with smaller motors.

While I doubt that Lexus will ever move into sporty enough territory for my taste, I'll keep an eye out for the changes you mentioned.
    I think you were replying to sanish man, not me. I didn't ask anything about the ES-TL-Genesis thing! no problem though!
    Your right about the GS. It has sold very poorly for Lexus and has not done well at all compared to all their other sedans.The current GS is a thorn in Lexus's side. I think they are doing a complete redesign next year so it will be interesting to see what Lexus does to improve upon it b/c it needs improvements in several areas!
    In regards to the G, right now, Infiniti is going to move it down market to compete with the TSX, IS250, 328i, A4 and Regal. Apparently, the new G25 is going to be virtually identical to the current G37, except its going to have the smaller V6.

I was a little bit disappointed when I heard this because I was hoping their would be more than just the engine difference to differentiate it more from the already established G37 but apparently it is not. I suspect and hope, that if the G25 sells very well for Infiniti, in a few years, they will make it a completely separate model from the G37 (i.e. drivetrain, style, features, etc). Only time will tell of course.
    If you take the Camry-clone ES & platform mate RX out of the mix, Lexus really doesn't sell all that many vehicles. The GS is a nice car, but get in one and then drive a 5 series. The GS steering is overboosted & has no feel to it. The suspension is too soft (for me), & the brake pedal is mushy at best.

Interior materials? Gorgeous. Fit & Finish? As advertised. Quiet? Even just sitting in the car I'm astonished at how silent the car is.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited June 2010
    SUVs aside- let's take a look at Korea vs japan. Hyundai about to release a supersized sedan v8 powered, they already have a v6 and v8 powered genesis that starts in the mid 30,s, lets not forget about the coupe, they have a sonata that will soon sport a hybrid, a turbo 4 that puts out more hp and torque then the Base Tl for 8 grand less. Fwd 280 hp sound familiar? They are about to release another V8 with 425 hp. to me all they really néed to do is adapt a Awd system to the sedan- maybe call it Superdooper AWD or SD-AWD. Rutrooh
    edited June 2010
    nyc....those were my setiments about the GS. Granted, I really didn't give it much of a chance. Still, if I'm dropping $40K+ on a car, I better like it, a whole lot more than just a little.

I do think that Lexus does one thing well. That is, while you can find some commonality between them and their Toyota bretheren (some switches, engine sharing, etc), no one can deny that they have the whole "nice build and materials" thing down pat. If that's all you're looking for, and as you point out, a quiet, disconnected driving experience, Lexus, and now Buick, have a car for you.

Hyundai took a stab at the Lexus LS and Mercedes E class with the Genesis. Again, I don't know many who cross shopped the Genesis against the LS or E class. Some may have, I just never head of any.

I like Hyundais. My son has a 7 year old Elantra that's only taken routine maintenance over 100K miles. They've got that warranty going on. The dealership experience needs to improve dramatically if they plan on trying to match the dealership experience I've had with Acura or BMW. But, they'll get there, I think.

I had test driven the Genesis, both v6 and v8. It was more out of curiosity than anything else. Not bad cars. Again, not my cup of tea. I think those of us who drive TLs are looking for the luxury sport and refined suspension, and drivetrain that just isn't part of the package in something like a Genesis.

I also hear that their coming out with the Equs, which is supposed to go up against the Mecedes S class.

I think the folks who look at the Genesis may very well cross shop Buick, though.

I just don't see a Hyundai, any Hyundai, being cross shopped with a TL. An Accord? A Camry or Avalon? Probably.
    I agree that while the Hyundai "competes" with a TL pricewise, that I don't know how many people actually cross shop the 2.

You're right about the GS - If you're going to spend the better part of almost $50K on a car, you'd better like it more than a little bit.

My Problem with Lexus/Toyota besides the whole disconnected driving snoozefest is the fact that the Toyotas are so nice, that really the only reason to buy a Lexus is for the badge or the V6. I'm sure they are not cross shopped and Toyota doesn't care if you buy a loaded V6 Camry or ES350 because either way they get the sale. I remember reading somewhere that 90 something percent of the Camrys sold are 4cyl. So if you want the V6, you're pretty much going to have to go Lexus as Toyota dealers probably don't stock V6 Camrys. Someone the other day mentioned the ES is not a re-skinned Camry. Both cars have the exact same 109.3" wheelbase indicating they are the same car.

Hyundai is not going to become a luxury company, or be better than any of the other luxury companies, until they ACTUALLY become one; you don't introduce two luxury models, snap your fingers, and think your at the top of the luxury pack because of that alone!

Second, we have no idea how the Equus is going to sell here; we have to give that time and see what happens!

Hyundai, as a brand/company, is not going to be able to be compared to the other luxury companies until they stop selling models that costs less than 28k bucks! In their current structure, they are competing against Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Ford, and GM!
    edited June 2010
    listen I hear what you guys are saying about Toyota-Lexus, but have either of you ever driven a Camry XLE back to back against a ES350, on the exact same route? I have and I can tell you, there is many many differences between them, besides the top quality materials, ergonomics, and fit/finish of the ES over the Camry; the ES has refinement over the Camry in pratically every single area!

the ES350 was much quieter, had slightly better handling (compared to Camry of course), much better body control over its motions (meaning, it had better control over those floaty, up and down bobbing then the Camry does). The seats were much more comfortable in the ES then Camry, etc. I could go on and on with the refinement/improvements the ES had over the Camry but I don't want to make a long story about it. Just as a side note, I know it sounds as if I'm defending the ES but I only test drove them to see what they were all about; I ended up not going with a Camry or ES350 because they do not jive with my driving style/dynamic because of how little feedback and super soft comfort they give.

this ES is rebadged Camry is analogous to the TL-Accord and TSX-Civic arguments people make that the TL is nothing but a guise up Accord and TSX nothing but a guise up Civic; I've test driven all these cars back to back and noticed many many differences between the two, that I feel warrant the higher price and refinement of the Acura models. I can tell you I might have said this back with the 1st Gen TSX and 2nd Gen TL, but since the 3G TL and 2G TSX, I think that, except sharing the same platform, the TL and TSX are very very different then the Accord and Civic in every single area.

I think a lot of people make these criticisms to try and further denigrate Acura and Lexus owners so they can feel all high and mighty/superior with their Mercedes and BMW purchases, which don't have any mainstream company here to compared to and thus, can never be criticized for sharing engines/drive trains/platforms with their mainstream company.

I'm not trying to knock the Camry, Accord, and Civic. I have friends or family members who have each of these vehicles and they are great bang for your buck cars but there are many many differences between them and their luxury counterparts!

I do agree, I hope Lexus and Acura take a page from Infiniti's book and move away from the sharing of powertrains and platforms between their mainstream and luxury division. Starting in 2011, no Infiniti will share a platform with a Nissan. Supposedly, for the next Gen ES, Lexus is supposedly going to be not sharing the Camry platform anymore and it is going to have its own unique drivetrain, platform, etc so we have to see how that goes.
    edited June 2010
    Totally agreed. Hyundai will not become a luxury car company in current form. Remember VW Phaeton? People just not going to drop serious money on a mass market brands no matter how good and refined they may be.

Currently, Hyundai is competing on the "value" front by offering respectable alternatives to the established luxury brands at a steep discount. Once it builds up market acceptance, don't be surprised when Hyundai starts a luxury division.
    ", I think that, except sharing the same platform, the TL and TSX are very very different then the Accord and Civic in every single area. "

The tsx sold here is the accord overseas. FYI
    Smarty think the genesis and equuos are not lux cars? The Koreans have a V8 and Rwd cars like Germans. Acura the brand is based off one car the accord (nice car) but it's in every model - Fwd safe car but not as "advanced" As advertised. Maybe the brand that brought the accel is changing the way we shop for cars in recessionary times. Sure 55k might be alot for this brand but if it compares to an S class I'm all ears. Just because the TSX starts at 28k doesn't make it hr standard price for a Lux division. The sonata turbo starts at 25k so you might want to drop the price of entry. I think your reading to much into the lux division thing.
    jtla...doesn't mean the Hyundais aren't nice cars. I doubt that Acura, MB, BMW, etc have lost sales to them over the Genesis, though. While they may put out cars they believe are competitive with the S Class, 7 Series, etc that doesn't make it so.

Just look at the Sonata. It took several generations of the same model, and a couple of decades for them to be considered competitive in that segment.

But, again this is not a Buick nor a Hyundai thread.
    sween...you're all over the place here. You own a G. In your previous posts, you stated you liked Buicks. Now, you say you like Hyundais. Yet, you're posting in an Acura TL thread. Seriously, you seem like you're lost.

Both Buick and Hyundai have dedicated threads here that would probably serve you better. There's always the Infiniti threads where you might find info geared more specifically to you, too.
    edited June 2010
    No, I did not say that, which means you didn't read my posts carefully. I said the Genesis and Equus ARE luxury vehicles but Hyundai is not a luxury company in its current form, yet people like yourself and others, are trying to compared to Hyundai right now to Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, Audi, etc etc and its just an apple to orange comparison right now because Hyundai as a company is not a luxury company. Plus, the Equus hasn't even been sold here yet and we have no idea with sales numbers how that is doing or going to be, so lets not jump the gun. If the Equus does not sell well here, its going to be hard for Hyundai to justify either converting Hyundai into a luxury division or establishing a new Korean luxury division here.

I'm not saying Hyundai isn't making a comeback here, but to compared Hyundai (in its current structure) to all the other luxury companies, some of which have been here a long time with a long history, is just laughable at this point.
    sween, you really need to start paying attention! I said the TL and TSX share a platform with Honda vehicles and that Acura needs to begin switching away from platform sharing, but that is where the similarities end between the Honda and Acura vehicles.
    Don't get me wrong, the Genesis was a really nice luxury car and I've test driven it and sat in it many times, but the Genesis, in regards to its sales, is far from dethrowing Lexus, BMW, and MB from their seats as the premier luxury companies in this country.
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack an Acura thread. If you scroll back a few pages, you will see that the Hyundai discussion started when someone cross-shopped the FWD TL with Lexus ES and Hyundai Genesis.

To compare the Genesis with MB S-class or BMW 7-series would be far fetched. However, like Acura with its TL, Hyundai is aiming the Genesis at potential buyers of BMW 3- and 5-series, MB C- and E-class, Lexus GS and ES, Infiniti G and M. Since they are after the same market segment, it is fair to say that Genesis and TL are competing with each others.

Basically, the Korean are following the foot steps of the Japanese. How successful is Hyundai with the Genesis? Well, I don't have the actual sales figures, but here in Southern California, the odd of sighting a Genesis is much greater than of a TL or an M. Lexus is still holding an edge as a luxury car maker among the Asian brands.

Personally, I would pick TL-SH-Awd over Genesis as E-class or 5-series alternative (but not as 3-series alternative, for which I chose G37). However, the mass market shoppers not necessarily think the way we forum-posters do. I believe that at least a fraction of Genesis sales came at the expense of the TL (and, on the same token, of the ES and the G or M).
    All over the place as stated I didnot start the Hyundai arguement I just expanded t to the line of cars presently available from Acura. I think Honda has gotten lazy producing Acura and I posted the Korean company has huge advantages over this present line of acuras. Again I will point out the Buick ads ( as you mentioned you would never cross shop ) as others might want to know Acuras present compition is. It's not the year 2000 anymore- 10 years have past and hyundai has moved upwards while Acura by most accounts has yet to "advance" despite what the TV ads tell you.
    edited June 2010
    jt....I don't know if such stats are kept, or would be available. But, it would be interesting to see how many cross shopped an Acura, an Infiniti, a BMW, a Mercedes, a Lexus, etc. And, how many chose the Genesis.

My Acura dealer also owns a Hyundai store (among other brands). They're within a football field of each other. While not scientific by any stretch, my Acura dealer has Infinitis, Benzs, BMWs on his used lot. I presume they were traded in on Acuras.

On their Hyundai used lot, they have Mitsubishis, Suzukis, a couple of Smart cars, Chevies, etc. Presumably, traded in on new Hyundais. So, probably different clientele looking for different types of cars.

I would expect Park Ave, LeSabres, Crown Vics, Impalas, etc being traded in on a Genesis based on what the used lot looks like.

Again, the Genesis is not a bad car. I don't think Hyundai has many folks coming from a Lexus, an Acura, a BMW, etc as their core audience, though. Hyundai may get to that point. I think it's going to take much more than a couple of years. And certainly, they'd probably have to rebrand the Genesis and Equs to do so....as well as do the "finishing touches" that the other lux/sports brands do.

Again, I don't know of anyone who has cross shopped their Infiniti or Acura with Buick or Hyundai except the few rare instances here. Obviously some of you have done that, but still ended up with an Acura or Infiniti. So, that tells me while you may have looked at those other brands, there's a reason you went with an Acura or Infiniti rather than a Buck or Hyundai.

I guess the same can be said for those who might have cross shopped a Buick or Hyundai with a Lexus, or Benz, or BMW and chose not to buy the Genesis.
    I would think that in a market like this people are looking for the most bang for the buck-- and that bang now includes the genesis, eqoxx, genesis coupe (as a comp to BMW 3 and infiniti G), and the sonata. Refinement maybe needed but from all accounts on the sonata its making a huge statement on that.

DAN I think your observations on a local OH dealership are great but do not have any substance to make a quantifiable assumptions on the overall car market, sales numbers do.
    yeah, the Sonata is not an entry level luxury car like the others and the most expensive it gets, fully loaded is about $28k some dollars!

The Equus is going to be an over 50k bucks so again, you're putting it in the wrong segment. It competes with the M, 5-Series, E-Class, GS, etc!

Some of the car's you include are just ridiculous for comparison purposes! You show me a 25k dollar Sonata shopper also looking at a 42k loaded TL with AWD.
    edited June 2010
    Okay, guys, while all the discussion is legitimate, I think we should respect that this is an Acura TL thread afterall. There is another thread for Entry Level Luxury Performance Sedans which used to be one of my favorite thread but is somewhat quite lately. IMO, it will be more appropriate forum for the current subject. Let's move the ongoing discussion there, shall we?
    exactly my point! lets leave the Sonata talk to the mid-size thread and Equus to the luxury performance thread!
    Smarty settle down- u see it's only a chat - and FYI we were talking about a brand not a specific car- do BMW and Audi a favor and don't include the TL as it s competition just like you want to exclude the genesis and equox (RL) and sonata ( tsx). Let's get back to talking about how many compliments the TL receives at the local wholefoods.
    edited June 2010
    jtla...you're right. This is a discussion that should be in the entry level lux sedan thread.

sween...you don't like Acura. You don't own an Acura. Your comparisons border on ridiculous. And, you own a competing model. It's clear, that for whatever reason, you feel the need to denigrate the TL and/or those of us who do like and own the TL. No need to slam smarty, or myself, or what we like to drive.

In all seriousness, since that's your only goal, there are other Infiniti forums which would probably be more inviting to you.
    Dan from Oh, you have over 5k posts so you must know something on posting but my arguement again is for others, not the owners. but the potential owners who use these chats to compare models. I've said the TL is a nice car- but in my estimation (given facts: sales figures, car rags) its not in the class of the Germans or Infiniti when it comes to following.. I used to own an acura and used to like to drive it and since I now own a competing model I think my comments do have validity as I did the research before owning.
    :sick: :( :sick: :( :sick:
    Yeah I have a last Gen TL myself and there have been some things I dislike about the new TL and things I liked. I have stated them and that's that. I'm not crazy about the direction and choices Acura has made but I can debate and state that more professionally.

You on the other hand seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against Acura or had Acura wrong him in some way b/c you constantly attack the new TL and Acura as a brand, and the people on here who like the new TL and are happy with their purchase. You seem to feel the TL is now the trash of the car industry since you constantly put it down and compare it to illogical cars that it doesn't even compete with!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    You get the "honorary host of the day" award, jtla. Your membership will be free for the rest of the year. :)

This is NOT a comparisons thread - it's a thread designed for people to get info about the Acura TL. If a new member drops in and asks whether he/she should buy the TL or a competing model, it's appropriate to offer pros & cons of each, but ongoing conversation about comparable vehicles should be taking place in the discussion linked by jtla. It's time to move on over if that's your bag, so further posts continuing this comparison conversation will be removed. Thank you.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

nothing personal- its all fact based. I've never said its trash (please dont put words in my mouth) and i actually said its a good safe car and offer good deals on leases- But i do think its laughable that some owners put this car against the BMW 5 or audi A6- cars that sell more (even as we are in a global recession and are more expensive) - have a proven sports/LUX backround. Sure i've pointed out other brands and cars - but they all have as much merrit as TL/BMW/AUDI- infact prob more so due the the FWD (non sporty) nature of the TL- I would like not to be bashed on these forums for given informed comments.
    Wow! "honorary host of the day" award!! Do I get to delete posts I don't like? ;)
    Sure! Except the day has passed. Better luck next time. ;)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• marcus216marcus216 Member Posts: 78
    Interesting reading here the last few days. Why can't the TL be compared with a BMW 5 Series or an Audi A6? The three are comparable in size. Comparable in 6 cylinder power output. All have available AWD. They have similar warrantees. While I think the interior of the A6 is stunning, the TL's interior is certainly in the ballpark and the TL is roomier in the back seat than either and has, in my opinion, the most comfortable front seats. I know, I sat in all three. While the BMW 5 Series has a great combination of handling and refinement, the TL (SH-AWD), again, is in the ballpark. Now, if you you asked me to pick one of the three to own without regard to price, I would probably pick the A6. But that is meaningless because price does matter to most folks. And the TL is a great value considering it is $10,000 + less than the BMW or Audi for comparably equipped models.
    We won't be, as I mentioned, including comparisons in this discussion - it's the wrong place. Please head to the RIGHT place if you wish to discuss comparisons. It's not difficult.
    (instruction not meant solely for the poster to whom I responded.)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

I'm sure that was not ment for me. Owners win congrats guys- Let's get back to the real discussion on how great the TL moves thru the twists in OH.
  • marco25marco25 Member Posts: 2
    Have Acura owners that post on this forum had accidents with their new Acura TL model? I have had my 2009 Acura TL Base Model for just a year and have had two accidents with this car and not my fault. I was rear ended recently by a driver traveling to close to me and went into my back end at 45 miles per hour on June 3rd, 2010. Four thousand dollars damage to back end and in the shop for one month. I got the car back on June 30th, 2010. The very next day on July 1st, 2010 my vehicle was parked and hit again in the same rear area in a parking lot with minor damage. I am still trying to settle with insurance people from the first accident.

Do members of this forum that own this new Acura TL model, find other drivers come up too close to you or can't judge the backend and its length in parameter of their car when behind you? I have seen two other new Acura TL'S in my area with rear end damage. Is this auto to long in length?

I must attest that the new Acura TL does stand up to it's 5 Star crash rating. If I was driving a smaller and less protective auto I probably would have been taken to the hospital with neck and back braces. I have an incredible clean driving record. Is this just the draw of bad luck.? Working with insurance companies sucks. I hope none of you ever have to experience this hell.
  • rlonn1rlonn1 Member Posts: 106
    Sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. My 2010 TL is only 4 months old, and due to the superior breaking and steering control, I have been able to avoid 2 near miss accidents to date. I would not attribute this to the size of the car. One could argue that the car is so DAM attractive, that folks are looking at your car, not at the road.

We all try and drive defensively, breaking WELL IN ADVANCE of the traffic ahead slowing down on the freeways here in San Diego.

I drove my 1995 Nissan Quest for 143,000 miles and not a single nick in the windshield. Got my 2005 Honda Pilot and in the first 3,000 miles got two Bad Chips in the glass window! I think it is just the luck of the draw, nothing to do with you or your car, just being at the wrong place at the wrong time...

I will say that when I park my car, I do look around for a space that gives me as much clearance as possible, so I park between two small cars, not between two large SUV's or trucks, even if I have to walk further... :blush: