Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    I wish we had the option of sirius or xm, I like sirius so much better i let the xm lapse and i have my sirius receiver perched on the vent in the type s.....
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Supposedly there is a kit that can convert the XM to sirius. Someday XM and Sirius will merge and that could mean having both XM and sirius program. Well they wont merge for now.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Yeah, I read those rumors over on TOVT. They're not listing their source and my acura guys don't know anything about two drive trains on the '09 TL. Could they be confusing it w/ the '09 TSX? BTW, tough loss for those Pats fans. If memory serves me correctly, we have some New Englanders on this forum. My condolences... :sick:
  • rksovisrksovis Member Posts: 5
    I just attended the Detroit International Auto show and asked one of the Acura reps. They said the 2009 Acura TL will be released in late fall of 2008 with the AWD that the RL has. It will also have a little more HP. I hopr this helps. :shades:
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I am pretty sure that Acura is going to unviel it at the upcoming NY Auto show in March (a bit early this year-usually held in April).

They have followed the same trend ever since the 2nd Generation TL.
    Maybe a concept/prototype but usually not a production vehicle.
  • nibauernibauer Member Posts: 1
    go the the acura website and look at future vehicles. they posted a pic of the car, along with tech features (SH-AWD, heated/vented seats, 300HP).
  • jwaggonerjwaggoner Member Posts: 22
    thats the rl dude. however that is one ugly front end.
  • fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Boy, I sure hope the TL Type-S isn't exactly like that. They better top the 300 HP mark and possibly utilize the turbo format from the RDX! The AWD needs more power and this car needs much better performance to take the leed back in this market. Bring the noise Acura or we will drop you!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    No turbo, please!
  • tl4me1tl4me1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone! I am so new to this, but I am looking for a place where I can learn as much as possible about the Acura TL before I purchase. I currently own a 2002 Accord EX and have been eyeing the TL for a couple of years. I am trying to wait for the 09's to be revealed before I decide against the 08's.

What can I expect from an 08 if I purchased now?
    Why buy the Acura? the accord ex v6 is as better or should I say a step above the current TL (not the type S).My sister bought it and I drove it last weekend for an extended period and I was taken aback by the how sweet the ride and comfort is.

Although its not for me, I would definitly recommend this car for someone shopping the regular TL.Also, you can save your self money for the long and short run.

Please note- I am not bashing the current TL (I am a past owner of the previous generation type S) but buying an Accord V6 would be prudent in my estimation. I am actually waiting to see what Acura has to offer on the next generation TL. If I dont like the offering- then off I go to either Lexus for the GS 350 or to Mercedes for the E350 (Sport model only).
  • gasnetgasnet Member Posts: 49
    You can expect the most enjoyable car to drive.I have a 05 TL and love it so much i'm getting a 08.I would not buy a 1st year car.However a 08 can be had for a great deal right now.Yes the G35 is faster but not much and if you live in the north G35x little slower.A TL handles better than a G35 (read road & track)Has more room,and a better ride and build quality, for less money.IF the new TL is going to set the standard as it did in 2004 you are going to pay for it $$$$. BUY A 2008 without nav.The Navi isn't worth the money.If it was harddrive based it can do xtras like hold 9 gigs worth of music and other things a dvd based system can not.I have one in my TL and my wifes garmin works better.
  • gasnetgasnet Member Posts: 49
    The new accord handles like a ridgeline.Not as fast or fun as a TL. Its a Buick from Honda. And forget about leasing this car right now (rip off)
  • tl4me1tl4me1 Member Posts: 2
    I have taken the 08 TL on a test drive twice and I think they drive hard or rough, not as smooth as I expected from a luxury sedan. The 08 Accords look awful!! I know its backwards, but I look at body style first then go for performance. If I don't like the way a car looks and I can't see my self enjoying it, then nothing else matters. So, I am curious what the 09 TL will look like. I think I'll wait. I hope they smooth out the ride...I hear that a lot of people say its is a fun ride.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Besides the TL, I would also take a look at a loaded Accord; the two are very different in real life compared with on paper (the Accord is larger) so I would try each and see which one you preferred.

I would also consider the TSX, too.

I personally would lean towards either Acura since the deals are pretty good right now (whereas the Accord deals aren't as good)
    A V6 Accord auto to auto is on par with the current TL in regards to speed.
    Looks are subjective-I personally like the lines on the Accord.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The coupe is attractive. The sedan....not so much! Also too damn big.
    No Turbo Engine. 2 v6's are likely. A base 3.5 FWD and a 3.7L SH-AWD model. The SH-AWD model will get the 3.7L 09 RL engine. Base model will get the TL Type-S motor.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Acura reps at the Chicago auto show knew little about the '09, but all said it would debut in September. Some thought it might be introduced at the New York show, but it looks like it will be the TSX instead. Some said there will be two engines, one with SH-AWD, and rv65 is probably right on the money when he says the 3.5 for the base and 3.7 for the AWD. That would be my educated guess, based on what little info I could get at the auto show.
    It sounds like people are saying that the new TL Type-S will have the same engine as the RL. Is that true? That would pretty lame if that is the case! I have a 2007 Type-S and it has 29 more HP than the standard TL. If the new TL will use this 286 HP engine, the Type-S will only have 14 more HP! That would suck and definitely prevent me from wanting a new one. We need more than 300 HP on the Type-S! We need a turbo option also. Acura needs to understand that BMW, Infiniti, and Lexus are bringing serious HP in their new models. So if we are willing to pay for it, Acura needs to bring the thunder with the Type-S and twin turbos! No half stepping!
    I just would like to say as a loyal Honda customer that I am done with their vehicles. I am tired of waiting for them to develop a rear wheel drive vehicle. It will never happen. I will buy a 1 or 3 series BMW. Why buy a car that is always chasing another competitor when you can have the fastest and best handling vehicle on the market. Has anyone seen this new RL or TSX. How do you like that huge grill or that flashy chrome. It looks like a flucking Hyundai. All Honda has is reliability and that is not good enough for the enthusiasts dollar. :mad:
    Does anyone know what Acura's deal is with saying they want to get to Tier-1 in the market? Are we talking about twin-turbo cars with top shelf electronics and styling? That RL looks decent for what it is but the TL has to look way better and have much more performance than 300HP. The BMW 335i and G37 will kill this car unless they really push the envelope. There is no need to buy one of these unless they make a TL model that can hang or beat the 335i. I don't see any other way to compete at this level. Do you?
    Your right they cant compete. Not with styling like the RL and TSX, poor balance and weak torque. I think you will find the new TL will look alot like the TSX just bigger. And whats with this new cocky direction Acura is going with Tier 1, Super handling, Advance my [non-permissible content removed]. They are trailing big time. I dont believe they will sell near as many cars with this new generation of cars.
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I'm afraid you're correct. I own a 2006 and I've been waiting to see the 2009, hoping Acura will provide a substantial upgrade - the new RL has me worried. I'm still waiting, but I've been seriously checking out the 335i in the meantime. If Acura doesn't come through with the upgrade I'm ready for I'll be working my next deal with the BMW folks, for sure...
  • ldsilverldsilver Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know of a site that tells you the number of TLs and RLs sold in the US for model year 2007? Please advise. Thanks
  • nacho2nacho2 Member Posts: 82
    I love the rear of the acura tl,and my 08 tl drives fantastic, I comparing my experience to after owning a 07 m35x,q45,Lexus es300,06 accord ex v6.
  • nacho2nacho2 Member Posts: 82
    The new Accords look ugly,even the dealers acknowledge this.with exception to the coupe.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The appearance and the general bloatedness of the new Accord are what drove me straight to the Nissan dealer to buy an Altima.

But, let's hope Honda doesn't mess up the 2009 TL...
    Acura has agreed to you. 2 v6's. One will be from the 09 RL and will have SH-AWD. Could be a type-S. The RL facelift is a bandaid until the 2011 model year. That will be when Acura starts its Tier 1 transformation.
    So hopefully we will see this new TL at the NYC Auto Show next week.
    I am taking a personal day off the week of the 24th just to avoid going to the show on the weekends. Going to the car show on the weekends is like going to an amusement park and waiting on lines just to sit in the car.I want to personally examine the E350, GS350 and hopefully the new TL without any salesman nagging me about leaving a deposit.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,675
    I miss the NYC show, attended it on/off since the '60s (at The Coleseum with my Dad, Columbus Circle IIRC!) NE show is a bit of a disappointment in comparison. I too go midweek to avoid the, well, folks like me!

Look forward to any reviews you care to post.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• syrsyr Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know how 09 prices will compare to 08's?
    Thanks.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    That's at the Guggenheim right? I was there a few years ago, great show. Bring your camera phone in case they show the '09 TL, I'm sure everyone will be interested in the photos.
    Will do.
    Guggenheim? Or the Javits Center? Was at the Javits when I went (when I still lived in CT) after leaving The Coloseum...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Javits Center for the past few years.
    I do not think the '09 TL will debut at the New York auto show. I believe what I heard at the Chicago auto show is that if anything new is shown, it will be the TSX.
    I am basing my assuptions on past experience, the 2nd and 3rd generation were debuted at the NYC Auto Show. I dont remember how they debuted the 1st generation.
    As Carnac the Magnificent predicted, the new Acura to be shown at the NY Auto Show will be the TSX, not the TL. Sorry, guys. You'll have to wait a while longer.
  • acura06tlacura06tl Member Posts: 3
    So did you see the new 2009 TL at the NYC auto show? I am dying to see how it looks like!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    i don't know who will see what, but be sure to check our Auto Show pages to see if there's anything up - I know we have some people there:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshows/index.html

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I am driving a 06 TL. It's got great style and class. I can take the girlfriend out on a Friday night with my 06 TL and yet drive my mother to Sunday Church. You know what I mean......the car is COOL for the ladies and comfortable for the family.

I had a 2001 3.2 TL before and had driven it for years. The handling was great, smooth SMOOTH acceleration (feels like it never changes gear) and very firm on the highway. Cornering, not so great but its a family sedan so I never thought it would turn like a Honda Civic. I expected the same performance for my 06 TL when I bought it a year and a half ago. But that was not the case. The 06 TL handles a bit rough and stiff on the road. It’s a much bumpier ride compared to its predecessor The 3.2 TL and the acceleration - hard to explain - it feels like a BMW. In fact, the interior design and the overall handling is like a BMW 3 series: good cornering abilities and rapid acceleration on dry roads. The current TL is a true SPORT sedan. But it is too much of a sport sedan, like the BMWs (not the xi series), the car is NOT design for driving on snow. Even with contraction control, VSC system and FRONT WHEEL drive (on 4 seasons tires), the current TL slides, slips and skids on almost every red and green light on more then 5-7 cm of snow, and turning on snow - don't even mention it. My old 2001 3.2 TL drives wonderful on snow, never had to worry!

Though the front seats of the 3.2 TL are definitely not as comfortable as the standard Bucket seats in the current TL, I am disappointed at Acura for designing this half [non-permissible content removed] and half European Acura TL. Why? The most important reason is when the car is on the Highway. At roughly 120 kms/hr to 130 kms/hr, the steering wheel will suddenly become light and too sensitive but at speeds under or over that this problem disappears. I think this is a serious issue of safety. It took me a few months to totally adapt my driving to this steering issue. I regretted that I didn't test drive my 2006 TL before purchasing. I have asked others who own a current TL and most say they experience the same issue with steering wheel at highway speeds. I don’t know if that’s your case as well.

Well... I am still a BIG fan of Acura. I have never own anything else except for Acuras since 1998. I have HIGH HOPES for the New 2009 Acura TL with the Super-handling 4 Wheel Drive System. I hope this NEW 09 TL will be a merge of the best qualities from both the old 3.2 TL and the current TL. But for sure, this time I will test drive it on the highway before purchasing.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "...it feels like a BMW. In fact, the interior design and the overall handling is like a BMW 3 series..."

Have you actually driven a BMW 3-Series? The reason I ask is that, while the new TL may be a good FWD imitation of a 3-Series, automotive writers and others have said that a FWD, no matter how sports oriented, simply can't handle like a RWD sport sedan. The laws of physics preclude it. For one thing, the weight distribution is significantly different.

I've always wondered whether this FWD/RWD difference only or mainly applies to very aggressive driving, or if it applies to ordinary driving or spirited driving too. Opinions?
    I have owned a BMW 3 series before. It was a 1992 BMW 318 i sedan. The reason why i got rid of it and got myself an Acura was because the RWD BMW handles poorly on snow. Its a summer car and had the same steering wheel issue on highway speeds (120 kms to 130 kms) like the current Acura TL.

Your point is exactly what I was trying to say. "the currently New TL may be a good FWD imitation of a 3-series." IF you compare the interior design of the current TL with a 1999-2005 3 series, you will see many of the same design cues. Especially with the style and lines of the door panel and the passenger side front dash - deja vu !! But don't get me wrong, I love the way my 06 TL looks from the inside out. It's just the handling that I am not to happy with. Though the current TL is a FWD, it slides, slips and skids like the RWD 318 i that i had.

I have never driven a FWD car that handles that poorly on snow. With my 06 TL, I have to check the weather forecast like I did before when i had my 318 i prior to going out in the winter. I DONT WANT TO BE STUCK IN SNOW ! Which did happened 3 times this winter with my 06 TL. I did not once experience that when I was driving the 2001 3.2 TL.

I look forward to the ALL NEW 2009 TL with the AWD as a standard!
    "I have never driven a FWD car that handles that poorly on snow..."

Ditto (so dissapointingly so) re: my '05 TL. Finally threw in the towel, after replacing the OEM Bridgestone's last summer with even worse in the snow Toyos, and bought Dunlop Winter tires. Much better now, although since I mounted the snows, not much snow to drive in (plows are too darn efficient!). But, when I did drive in the snow, much better...

I

I've read your comments with interest regarding how this last generation TL handles in snow, and it gives me some pause regarding buying one because, why put up with the negatives of FWD if traction is not good? You at least want the benefit of good traction, as a tradeoff for handling that, while very good, would be better with RWD. I'm thinking that a set of snow tires would correct matters, but, then, they shouldn't be a requisite on a FWD car, except in places like the upper Midwest and northern New England.

I'm the original owner of a '99 Tl with 109,000 miles, and I couldn't be happier with it. The ride/hadnling tradeoff is good. I understand Acura softened the ride of the ccurrent generation TL just a little, beginning with the '07 model.

I'm not thrilled with the notion of AWD, because of the extra weight, complexity, a lower fuel economy compared with two wheel drive. I hope SH-AWD is an option on the '09 TL.
    I agree with you re: FWD. As I've oft noted, I'm a lifelong New Englander and skier. I've purposely bought (fun) FWD cars (e.g. VW Scirocco, Acura Integra, Mitsu Mirage Turbo) for the snow advantages of FWD. Until the '05 TL, it has served me more than well. Oh, well.

Still, the TL is a fab ride. Given I don't track or regularly drive 9 or 10/10ths, the TL goes where I point it with little drama. And, if I play the right peddle correctly, it swiftly goes in a straight line, all the while looking great with a lovely audio system. My family fits inside as do my skis with the pass through. I average 23mpg commuting. Nice ride and NVH. I really think Honda does FWD about as well as it can be done. I chose the TL over the G35x for a number of reasons, including not wanting the added weight and complexity of AWD. Snows can be swapped... In summary, FWD has never been a negative to me.

Having written this, had I known how poorly the TL was in my white gold, I might have given more consideration to a 3 or RWD G... Now that I have snows/rims, I'm hoping that they will fit my next ride as I will be considering rwd seriously. As well as FWD and possibly AWD (Audi A/S5?!).

"...I really think Honda does FWD about as well as it can be done..."

I agree.

Your comments are enlightening.

I'd mount snow tires on a FWD car in winter if I lived in or traveled to the snow belt (I live in the Mid Atlantic region}. One of my cars is a RWD 3-Series, and snows make a significant difference in the traction on slippery surfaces.

I await the '09 Tl with much interest, but I'm concerned that, like the new Accord, the TL may grow too large. I'll also look at the '09 TSX and the all new Audi A4.