Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• gundersengundersen Member Posts: 14
    The new TL will have two versions. The base model will have the 3.5L with 280 Hp and will be front wheel drive. The other version will have the 3.7L like the MDX and RL with 300 hp. This version will be AWD. It is not called the Type-S. That badging is dropped.There is a small stock photo in the new car and driver. This is the only non spy pick I have been able to find. It's kind of hard to tell how good it will really look.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Someone said the S badge drops in '09 to be possibly back in '10.

Regards,
    OW
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    The C&D photo is a fake, see post #352

The info is probably true. :)
  • docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    Post 350 says the same thing. FYI
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    So, what do we really know about the 2009 TL. I have a 2007 MDX that I really am unhappy with. I don't want a last model year TL, but I would trade it if the new one was as nice as the old one, just refreshed. Any thoughts, or is it too early to tell?
  • traumeritraumeri Member Posts: 32
    What dont you like about our MDX?

Recent visit to Acura dealer confirms that 09 will come with 300hp/SH-AWD for the top line model, that controversial beak, and upgraded stereo (RDS, no tape, and more power). The beak didn't look as bad in person on the TSX but I still wonder.

Test drove the 2008 Type-S 5AT today, not bad. 6MT 0-60mph listed as 5.5sec by C&D but does anybody know what the 5AT does? Certainly didn't feel like 5.5 but more like low 6's. Torque steer wasn't that bad on the automatic either, active noise cancellation didnt do as much as expected.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    "What dont you like about our MDX?"

You and dms9 share the MDX? :confuse:

It's been noted that the new TSX is almost the exact dimensions as the current TL. This has me worried that the '09 TL will be upsized. I think Acura's got too much size overlap with the TSX, TL and RL.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    take a look at the "repair" threads in the MDX forum, which is where my concerns are outlined. I won't take up too much room in this (TL) thread, but the bottom line is that I have had so many problems with the MDX, everything from really bad fit and finish, to mechanical problems, to my electrical system going out. Unfortunately, I don't quite have my 30 days in the shop, so not offically a lemon and Acura won't do anything other than to tell me that they will continue to fix it under the warranty, not very satisfying reply. So, I am frustrated.
    No, a typo on the "ours"...dunno what I was thinkin :P

After more study of the current TL I have one more wish for the 09 TL: A smaller turning circle, 39.7ft is gotta be a class "leader" ;)
  • brettlmtbrettlmt Member Posts: 1
    The TSX and the TL are both built on the Honda Accord platform. The TSX uses a tweaked version of the 2.4 liter in-line 4 cylinder, and the TL gets a tweaked version of the 3.5 liter V6. This is why they are similar in size
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    I believe that the difference is that the TSX is based on the Euro-spec Accord, the TL the domestic (prior iteration) Accord.

Doen't matter to me what a car is based upon or the badge. It matters to me what the car is.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    From what I have heard, the new 2009 TL will have two versions: 1 - current TL Type-S engine (280-286) (FWD) and 2 - 305HP 3.7 (RL/MDX Engine) w/ SH-AWD

These sounds pretty good but I am hoping they follow soon after with a high performance model such as the Type-S.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yes the type-S might not be until 2012 though. The 09 TL will set the style standard for the new Tier 1 Acura. It's said to be quite a looker. Apparently Edmunds and others went to Louisiana to go see the new TL. Maybe it was a dealer event but it looked like the press event. People say it will be a hit. It will grow larger. Navi will get enhanced Traffic and weather info. Also the USB iPod interface will be avaliable. Navigation is going to use that RL/TL/MDX/RDX/TSX knob. The 09 TL will be sized similarly to the 08 Accord though.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Will it have the same saturn-like front end that I saw on a TSX? I'm neither a critic or fan of either saturn or acura, but a layman like me mistook a TSX grille for a Saturn, something is wrong!

-mike
    According to the spyshots on insideline then yes.
    The Lousiana meeting was for General managers. 2 Engine choices. 280 HP 3.5L v6 and 305 HP 3.7L v6 from the RL. No type-S though. Maybe not until the MMC of this one. A 20 GB Hard drive for music. Interface Dial for controlling navigation, radio, and other stuff. USB port for plugging in USB or iPod devices. Enhanced XM NavTraffic and NavWeather. The front and rear don't resemble the 09 RL and TSX. It's larger than the current car and slightly larger than the 08 Accord. Push button start as well. Some good info for you guys to look at.
    It appears that you can get SH-AWD on both engines. However the 3.7L is SH-AWD and it only comes with Tech package. The 3.7L SH-AWD is the range topper. So it affect the few who prefer portable navigation systems. Its more like the 07-08 TL type-S when you are forced to get the navigation system. Tech package does come with some nice stuff though. I assume the Hard drive is for the tech package. This car might be bigger than the MMC RL.
    "It's said to be quite a looker. Apparently Edmunds and others went to Louisiana to go see the new TL"
    Haven't read that anywhere, do you have insider knowledge?

I think the resemblance to Saturn is not that bad as Acura headlights and intake dams have more hard angles. Still, I wish more of their concept car's design goes into the 2009 models....i.e. shoul.d have left the Acura emblem on the hood ala BMW and design the grille however. The local dealer seems to imply 09 TL will be similar to 09 TSX except for engine, SH-AWD, possibly bluetooth audio, etc.
    Well they said it's quite bold. It's a mix of Camry and the civic coupe yet it will have the power plenum grille. Perhaps you haven't heard from the general manager. Those people actually saw the 09 TL. The 09 TL will be quite bold and angular. It will be bigger than the current 08 accord. It's said to be larger than the 09 RL. I guess I should have said Dealer General managers. I guess the vtec forums have a few general managers who went to Louisiana. The on sale date for the 09 TL is the end of September. Perhaps there was no concept since there was something major. To keep the other brands from finding out.
  • gbaker123gbaker123 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone confirm or deny if the 09 TL will have ventilated seats like the ES350?
    "slightly larger than the 08 Accord. Push button start as well"

If true, those 2 would be deal-killers for me. :sick:
    Push button start could be a tech package feature. Tech pacakge will probably be the only option package. Includes the usual Acura navigation system and all that jazz. Again the 3.7L SH-AWD model only comes with the tech package. The RL when it gets redesigned for 2011 will be even larger than the 09 TL. It will be interesting to see current RL owners buying this new TL. I could see massive discounts on the 09 RL once this TL comes out.
    With the increased size, I'm wondering if Acura is still targeting the TL at the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Lexus IS series segment? IMO, the TL is simply getting too big. It seems the TL is now chasing the Maximas and Lexus GS of the world. The TSX is the right size, but it doesn't have the muscle, nor the luxury quotient, to go against the Germans and the Lexus.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Unless I'm missing something, the '09 TL makes the '09 RL redundant.

Based on what I've read in the last several posts, I'm solidly in the camp of those who feel the '09 TL will be too big to be a nimble sport sedan. Its size will change the character of this car, and not for the better. It'll be interesting to see how the fuel economy numbers compare with the '08,

Despite my preference regarding size, if the '09 TL has great looks and is priced right, it'll sell; if Acura didn't get these two things right, well, then it won't sell well.
    I actually think that the current TL's size is almost ideal, and, IMO, it would take one hell of a styling job to beat the current style, which, again IMO, has almost classic lines and proportions. :shades:
    The v6 TSX is coming out and will have the muscle.
    Actually, this would be a deal-sealer for me. I love the current TL but the rear seat room is just too small. If I want a sports car I'll buy a two seater or a 2+2, sport sedans have inherent compromises that we accept in return for the benefits of extra space with better performance than a Camry/Accord.

If the price does not go above the low 40's, I would say 43K is a reasonable price for the 3.7L V6 w/SH-AWD, I would definitely buy it. Realistically, for '09 they can't go much higher than that or else it will be hard to distinguish it from the RL.
    Really, there is a V6 coming for the TSX? When? Will they badge it a Type-S?
    I admit the rear seat of the TL is really designed only for 2 passengers, but in that context, I find it has ample room, including plenty of leg room. Mind you, I'm not a big tall guy, so maybe the size is perfect for me.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    I'll second that opinion...the push for bigger engines/more horsepower is the wrong move IMHO. A same sized TL as current with improved fuel economy would be a big seller in my book.
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Enhanced XM might be nice but would rather have HD radio.
    Am not thrilled with XM sound.
    Old Mike
    I'm 6'1" and I can not sit in the backseat for more than a few miles. One of my best friends has one and let me borrow it for a weekend last year. I loved driving it, but even my wife, who is 5'6" felt a little cramped when we put our toddler's car seat back there. We ended up going with a Passat, as it has a more powerful engine, 280hp, and AWD. The tech features were not as nice as the TL, but the backseat was much larger, as was the trunk. I would trade in the Passat for an '09 TL with the 3.7 and SH-AWD if it were as big as the new Accord, if it is even a bit bigger I would do it in a heart beat.

I'm not going to be carving corners at high speeds with a toddler and a newborn in the backseat, but I do want a car that does not float and lean through corners and is fun to drive when I'm alone.
    Probably not. The 09 TSX spyshots actually are the v6 model. Maybe not a 3.5L but some say a 260 HP 3.5L v6 is going to power the 09 TSX. Maybe a revised 3.2L v6. Depends on what the bean counters want. Acura might just use the 3.5L since it's cheaper to make 1 kind of engine block.
    Sorry but those shots have already been taken. Might be useful for those who haven't seen it yet. The 09 TL does have the Civic coupe and camry mixed in terms of styling.
    A smaller, lighter V6 wouldn't be a bad thing. The 4 cyl just doesn't have enough low-end torque. Perhaps they should resurrect the 3.0L V6 from the 1998 - 2002 Accord.
    That engine is old. A newer more modern 3.0L is quite good for the TSX. However the 3.5L is a bored out 3.0L.
    The front end has fender flares that are agressive like the 09 TSX. Rear end doesn't have those flares. The 09 TL is a different looking car than the current model. Front end is actually quite sleek looking. Rear lights and bumper give it that Power plenum grille look. Power plenum is a term for the new Acura grille. Tech package models get a lip spoiler that has a crease. The rear tail lights are quite unique and large. The design flow is similar to the current TL but it's mainly in the rear. It's got some angular design. People are going to have to get used to this very different looking TL. You can get SH-AWD on both v6's. The 3.7L again will be SH-AWD and tech pacakge only. Not too many more specs though.
    Sounds like you got a sneak peek? If so, regarding the front grille, is it more similar to the RL or TSX?

For example, the RL has a larger chromed bar at top that is raised above the horizontal line casted by the head lamps. In contrast, the TSX has a thinner chromed bar at top that is in line with the lights.

Also, what did you mean that the design flow is mainly in the rear?
    Well no I got this off of another forum. I got this guys opinion since I didn't want to violate the rules. I put it in my own words. It's more like the RL from what I have seen in the spyshots. My source has seen the car at the meet in Louisiana. June is when Edmunds gets to officially test it but is embargoed. The embargo date hasn't been set. Some sites like TOV will reveal the embargo date. The car is larger from what I have heard. No specs other than the size, engines and SH-AWD.
    Must have gotten mixed up on the Camry/Civic design theory. The Camry/Civic cues are in the rear taillamps. They are quite big on the 09 TL. Supposedly it has a look that won't be accused of being boring. Looks very different when compared the current model.
    Honestly the new front end is growing on me even through camo, so hopefully the real thing looks even better.

Acura is pitting the TSX against A4, BMW328, and perhaps IS250. This is probably why they are reportedly making the 09TL bigger to perhaps slot it between the A4/A6, BMW335/535, Infiniti G35/M35, and the Lexus IS350/GS.

How will Acura distinguish the TL from the competition? They have fewer loyalist vs German cars and perhaps even Infiniti/Lexus. Will they emphasize value? Can the 09TL overcome G35's RWD and content value? Will they move up the pricing point? If so, they will have to beat out the G35 handily in something.
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tl-future.html

Well edmunds should have these pics but these are some nearly undisguised TL spy pics. Enjoy!
    I see a little bit of current TL in the front, a little bit of Lexus GS in the back, with a little bit of Maxima thrown in for good measure. Overall, a bigger, bulkier look. We'll no doubt grow to accept and even like it, but I still think 15 years from now, we're look back at the current TL and recognize a classic, timeless design.
    The tape is probably hiding some details. I like the 2004-2008 design especially the type-S. The 07-08 Type-S in Kinetic blue pearl and those chrome accessory wheels looks awesome.
  • rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    My 05 lease is due in a few months by the fall will the 09 be available
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    We started to see lightly camo'ed pics of the '07 MDX in June of '06. The car became available for the public the first week of November '06 (I purchased mine 3rd week of that month, and paid sticker :cry: ).

If acura follows the same formula for the '09 TL, it should be available late fall and expect to pay sticker.
    There is no chrome strip on the trunk lid. Just another really elaborate disguise.
    I think the back looks promising and different enough, definitely a Transformers look. The new photos "hopefully" suggest that Acura modified the front grille since the earlier design which clearly showed a broad "V" through the camo. The way the current camo photos suggest a design closer to the current Toyota Camry grille in regards to the "hanging" logo look.
    Thoughts?
  • fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone heard any information regarding a future TL Type-S?