Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• benw523benw523 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys i just found some new photos in google out of a website of the 2009 acura tl without cover. It looks very agressive and modern, its very nice. The front grill looks better than the official picture.
    Heres the pics
  • benw523benw523 Member Posts: 2
    Yea the Tl kind of have the pontiac solistice [non-permissible content removed], but the front looks very mean and agressive. Its better than i have expected, but i wonder what the price and the curb weight gonna be.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I just find it too big. Look at it next to the Odyssey, which gives you a bit of sense of how big it is. And you know, this new TL was already on the drawing board back in 2004, because I remember my salesman telling me, before the '04 was introduced, that his information had it that it would be bigger than the 2003. Well, he wasn't really wrong, his information was just one generation early!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Based on the pics, it does look pretty big, and a bit heavy. I can honestly say I like the design, perhaps a bit too much emphasis on the grill, but I think it looks great. I certainly credit them for stepping out of the box and getting more creative with design, as the cars these days are getting a little old and bland. The issue is, running out of designs and when a new model comes out, we first think it is bit bit ugly, rather than its different, and applying a new look for the future car. But, with gas prices the way the are, I am would have hoped they would factor into the scheme a way to accomplish more decent MPG numbers, while including the same design concept. This is not a time to go big with a car or engine, it will totally scare people off. There ways to pull this all together and yet be efficient, minimal sacrifice.

Of course, I am seeing the TL in picture form, rather than in person, but it looks big, but I will say, that sedans are they latest rage, along with hybrids. But, when does a sedan start to basically be a SUV cover, with little difference in numbers? I am wondering how this design effected its price tag? Its almost like the new TSX became the old TL, and the new TL has become the old RL, and well the new RL has become sorta like a MDX. when compared in sizes and trims. Does that make sense?
    I guess to be fair to Acura, the current TL was such a homerun from a styling point of view, that any successor would have tough time topping it. But did they have to supersize it?!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Exactly, They can certainly re-design without having to enlarge the size. This is what they did to the new Accord/TSX.

This is not a time to enlarge anything, but we have not seen this car in person yet.
    I like the design, I appreciate that they are creating a futuristic look to their cars, its like the car is alive, and just accommodates the driver. Its all about the drive.
    They appear to have taken some styling cues from the new Maxima, notably the hood opening. And that is not good! I guess Acura is no longer targeting the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, IS350, and others, but more towards the Maxima, Cadillac CTS crowd.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for posting those pictures. What have Acura done with that big, flashy, ugly chrome beak of a front grill? Isn't that the ugliest, "look at me" monstrosity you've ever seen on a car? The back view looks heavy (small trunk opening though), but at least it's not butt ugly like the front. My favourite view is the 3/4 view from the rear.....It's amazing Acura approved this design, my 07 type S has been described as "sex on wheels", aggressive, beautiful, the 3 people I showed these new pictures too all panned the car, especially the front end chrome effort....
    Oh well, when it comes down to it i guess it's all about personal likes, but they've chased away this TL customer with this design, maybe there will be other buyers out there who like the design and replace me as a customer????
  • marc52marc52 Member Posts: 17
    As far as I can see the car will take some getting used to but I am actually surprised and somewhat excited. I was not in favor of the last generation TL and need to see the interior and the whole car up close before I make a decision.
    Let me ask a question, I currently own a 2001 TL which is a very good car, I get 19 MPG in the city and 29-30 on the highway at 70 MPH. Where has the progress been made as far as mileage. That model began in 1999-2000 and ten years later and the mileage of the new cars is not any better. It seems to me that all we have been obsessed with is speed, 0-60. Why is that so important? Acura, MB, Infiniti, Lexus, BMW and others have not taken steps to address this. Only now that oil has soared is this being adderessed. The manufactures should be held accountable to this. If they had looked at this, these cars would be betting 20% better mileage by now. Make sure to tell the dealers how disgruntled you are at the lack of attention toward this.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    Capitalism, supply and demand Marc. Look no further than to the pinheads buying Hummers and Expeditions (granted, I'm sure some people need Hummers and Expeditions. But most who buy do so because Arnold or their favorite Rapper have one!).

The mfgs. are simply giving the people what they want.

As Pogo said so long ago, "We have met the enemy and he is us!"

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• spingrinderspingrinder Member Posts: 11
    My 2005 TL lease runs out in February 09. Based on this design, I'm already looking at other cars. This is a major design blunder and should be labeled the Acura-Edsel. Further, boosting HP and the decrease in MPG comes at precisely the wrong time. (Apparently, the current Acura design brains are no better than the GM Camaro/Hummer brains). Rounding the TL into a Maxima/Lexus GS look is also very disappointing. This design loses the sports car appeal and goes after the soccer mom instead.

Acura, you've lost me as a customer.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Mileage should be identical to the outgoing model. Honda/Acura usually try to have continuous models. The 300 HP SH-AWD model will get less but the FWD model will have the same mileage as the current model.
  • marc52marc52 Member Posts: 17
    Everyone has a valid point, however, I still think it is a shame that the automakers couldn't address this. When the same model car gets the same MPG 10 years later, in this environment it is terrible. Government is also to blame, not putting stricter laws in place, we are all now paying the price. If a 2001 TL gets 19 city and 29-30 hwy then a 2009 should be getting 20% more period. Look at the G35 or C300 and the MPG is aweful. For new models to get only 17 MPG city is ridiculous, they should be getting at least 20-21 in the city. Enough speed and 0-60 times, we are going fast enough.
  • rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    My lease is uo Feb 09 My husband is looking at very thing from the BMW 3 to a Mercedes Benz 300 Then he goes all the way over to an Accord Coupe. He also was wondering what type of deals would be out there to give up the lease early an d pick up a lease on a 2008 (he loves the car that much) or even if the well be deals on the 2009 n
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    1. Blind spot to the rear (between back window and rear side window) is even bigger than the rear blind spot on the current TL. Not good.

2. Mileage. The new Accord V-6 gets lower gas mileage than the Accord it replaced. Since the new TL will have the same engine (3.5), it will probably get less mileage than the smaller V-6 in the current model.

Since this car was designed long before the current gas crunch, Acura was caught off guard and their sales may suffer for it (although its competition is doing no better: the Infiniti G35 mileage is worse).
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    When they were in their design talks 2 to 3 years ago I'm sure all the feedback they were getting was "we want more power with less torque steer, got to keep Hp up with Infiniti", I'm sure fuel efficiency wasn't even on the board...They, along with everyone else, didn't (how could they?) forecast this huge increase in fuel price...
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Thanks for posting those pictures. What have Acura done with that big, flashy, ugly chrome beak of a front grill? Isn't that the ugliest, "look at me" monstrosity you've ever seen on a car?

Very well stated. Grille reminds of some kind of bird cartoon character. Can't think of which one. Somebody on Acura design team from old Pontiac Aztek?

Why couldn't Honda/Acura simply have evolved the TL as Porsche has with it's 911, which dates back to 1964. The 2004-2008 model was a stunning design that will still be admired long after the 2009-2013 iteration is forgotten.

Have an 04 and 07 TL and will probably keep these for some time given 09 design.

Acura making mistake just as Nissan did with Maxima. Had a 97 SE. New generation Maxima in 2000 was ugly compared to 95-99. Then, 2004 Max got bloated and test-drove ponderously. Went to Acura - 01, 04, 07.

Maybe aftermarket parts suppliers can do something about goofy grille. That is only way I would even consider that car. If 09 TL is not as least as good in handling and performance as 04-08 (with an aftermarket grille), good bye Acura.
  • logic2klogic2k Member Posts: 10
    Sorry to change the direction of many conversation but I will anyway. I have a 2006 TL with ground affects. Because I have finally decided to upgrade to a S-Type 2008, my question is, is there a factory kit for the S-Type or is that on for the standard TL. Yep, I waited for the 2009 (not happy with the pis up to this point). I hope for the folks still waiting, they do some magic with the inside, where you'll be spending most of your time,but they are giving good deals to move the 2008's out of the way.
    I'll keep my eye open for replies on the S-Type and pics other than the outside, of the 2009..
    I feel your pain and I waited long enough to see what the TL would bring, stil not happy. As I started looking around, I ran accross the new 09 Max and I must say it made me look twice. They have done a nice job with it but close to 40K (high end) I'd rather stay with Acura. Leaning towards the 08 S-Type.
    It would seem, at 35-40K most of the cars out there have pretty much the same features. I guess the wrapper is whats going to make the difference for a lot of folks.
    Good take on things to come.
  • 23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    anyone know the WEIGHT of the new TL?

if the new car has more power - but weights MORE - then it's a wash and this fugly car will perform NO better than the model it replaces...

curb weight???
    For sure it's going to weigh more. How much more is anyone's guess at this time. My guess would be a couple of hundred pounds more for the FWD model. And perhaps close to 4000 lbs for the SH-AWD 3.7l model?
  • slim83slim83 Member Posts: 25
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/acura-tl.html

Check out these more unmasked pics from the rear and side. The rear-end doesn't look as big now. I don't think we'll be able to figure this car out until we see it in person. It seems every pic they're releasing has a different look/angle.
    Well, at least they put the parking brake on the correct side of the console!
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    The looks of this vehicle have been seriously compromised from the previous version. It also needs to go on a serious diet! Not impressed.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Looks like that's about the only thing they got right on the 09 (parking brake), although i dont mind grabbing the gf's knee everytime I use the parking brake on my 06 ;)

Bigger engine, more weight, lower gas mileage most likely, ugly design on the exterior....I'm extremely dissappointed.
  • docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    I don't understand why they can't just use an electronic parking break and free up some space on the console. Even Volkswagen uses an electronic parking break on the Passat.
    I wondered about that too. With an electronic brake, it could also have features such as auto-release. But then I figure they have to safe some features for the RL!

Like most other upscale features, eventually it would trickle down to the lower models.
  • docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    If the only way that Acura can distinguish the RL from the TL is through electronic gimmicks then they are in trouble. The RL should be larger, with more real luxury features, and have a more powerful engine. Acura's product strategy with regard to these cars has always been confusing to say the least.

If the new RL were coming out next year that would be one thing, but now it seems like the new RL won't be out until 2010 and that will only stifle the growth of the TL feature list.
    The current 08 accord gets identical mileage compared to the previous car. It's just that the 08 accord and 09 TL use the new EPA ratings. The new ratings aren't as conservative when compared to the 2007 and below ratings. Even the current TL dropped in mileage for 08 when it was tested with the new ratings.
    A type-S will happen but not until 2011.
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I believe that Consumer Reports got lower gas mileage with the '08 Accord (V-6) than the V-6 on the earlier model in real world testing. It's not just a function of changing mileage ratings. So I would expect the '09 TL to have lower mileage than the current model. Plus, as has been noted, it will probably be heavier, so that alone would do it.
  • fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Do you think Acura will pursue a twin-turbo in this TL Type-S model? Remember that they said they wanted to achieve tier-1 status so competing with the BMW M series and Mercedes AMG, will require more than just 30-40 more HP over the standard model. Let's say that they go after the new M-3, which has 414 HP. 340-350 most likely won't be able to touch this. So, what can Acura do?
    Well depends on how big the engine bay. TL uses a transverse setup and maybe it could be more power but we'll see.
    I don't see the TL as an M3 competitor. The TL is just getting too big and heavy to be that sort of cut-and-thrust, rip-roaring sports car. If anything, Acura may be targeting the 535i, 550i, 535xi. After all, if Hyundai can pull it off with the Genesis....
    No Touch Screen navi but it does have a HDD for music. You can store up to 20 GB on this hard drive. Also there is a USB port for iPods and storage devices. One warning is that it only works on 5th gen iPods and up. As long as it's made after the video one then it's fine. If you have an older iPod then you will have to buy a new one or use the aux in. For iPod all you need is the iPod and the USB cable. Just plug it in and it has full integration. Also looks like no tape player. Just use a portable tape player in the Aux in or get one of those PC tape players and record them to CD. Hope this helps.
    Interesting. From China, of all places! Reminds me of the dash from the new TSX, which looks more and more appealing!
    Maybe the 09 TL will use the Hard Drive for storing Navi and Music.
    Try these instead. Both part 1 and 2 are on youtube.

part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15yVWFUatRA

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWJ1QGGIozc
    Mileage is identical despite larger size and maybe weight.
    Videos have been removed?
  • traumeritraumeri Member Posts: 32
    Yes they are gone, even from the kbb website! Maybe they were released by accident ahead of the embargo?

The summary:
    Price: Base --> SH-AWD+Tech: 34K --> 42K
    Engine: 280/254 --> 305/275 (I think....)
    MPG: 18/26 --> 17/24 (disappointed as BMW 335 and 535xi's have better #'s)
    Performance: acceleration not revealed obviously. Focus is on dynamic handling.
    Other specs: looks bigger and heavier, how much remains to be seen.....

Styling: looks much much better in video than static pictures all around. Not great, but distinct and acceptable. Power plenum grill less intrusive in the light gray/silver color featured in the video.

Availability: late-Sept for base; late-Nov for SH-AWD
    I agree. The pics were much better in the video with all the camo missing. The interiew (both parts) were almost 20 minutes in length total. Although it was informative, it was vague on some issues. I'm glad they released the price, MPG, horsepower etc...
  • chiu0nthlschiu0nthls Member Posts: 2
    anyone get a screen shot or parts of the video?
    Sorry it was taken down so soon.

The 09 TL has EPS which helps give it better mileage.
    rv65

Do you have any information on when the actual embargo date is set to be?

I know you've had valuable information relating to the TL and its release.

Thanks
    No I don't have any embargo information. I think the embargo date is late august. I would say September 1st or maybe later. September 1st is a likely date since Honda/Acura have used this for their embargo information.