Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    and I thought that must be the ultimate slap in the face for an import car manufacturer, because my son's generation does not think much of the American Big Three!
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    They waited at the bottom for the snowplow to show up...... :P

But seriously, the nature of my job dictates that I have to be mobile any hour of the day. Boy I'd love a 9 to 5 job........
  • bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I agree with docrw. If increased exterior size doesn't yield more interior room and trunk space, what's the point?

I'd also like to know what the turning circle is on this overgrown machine. The current TL already has a wide turning circle that's awkward in tight spaces. If the design of the '09 isn't improved in this respect, it could take a football field to turn this thing around. That's sporty?
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    My son said it looks like they put a beak on the front of the car.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    I know the new look has gotten some flack here, but personally I love the new design! I bought the "old" new design back when it first came out in 04, then sold it and bought an Audi S4 when I moved to Germany. Though the two don't even compare when it comes to handling and power, I loved the TL's interior much more then the S4s. Much more economical and convenient. Now that I am going back to the states looking forward to getting a TL again (not to mention the improved gas mileage over an S4! :D )
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Have you considered the all new '09 A4?
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    hpm,I got the Audi S4 for one reason, the Autobahn and the curvy German country roads. If you can't use the car, i.e. in the states with the speed limits, the car is definitely not worth it considering its cost and gas mileage (About 280 miles on a 60 liter tank~12 - 14 mpg). So that is why when I move back to the states next year I will sell my S4 here and buy an TL in the states.

I did not like the interior of the S4 at all after being spoiled with the 04 TL. Sure, the leather was better quality but that is about where it stopped. The climate control sucked. For heat you either got blast hot or nothing at all. The controls sucked, with the roller on the steering where you would always overshoot stations and volume settings. The Nav sucked compared to the TL. Even the front display and the other things weren't as good as the TL.

Now I have no idea how the inside of the new TL is going to look, but if it is any better then the older version then they already have me sold.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    It's a nice interior. Uses a knob to control the NAVI and the radio. The Radio has dedicated buttons as well. The navi system now uses a full VGA display and uses a 40 GB Hard drive. With the hard drive you can store your favorite tunes or pictures. It's much nicer looking that the 04-08 TL's non VGA display.
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/article-image?image=783074/09tl_pr-121.jpg
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/article-image?image=783074/09tl_pr-122.jpg
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/article-image?image=783074/09tl_pr-124.jpg

Some pics of an SH-AWD with Tech package. Tech package includes the navi, ELS stereo, lip spoiler, backup camera, 8.0" full VGA display, and the push button start. I have some non tech package photos but the tech package interior looks nicer.
  • ezracerezracer Member Posts: 24
    Sorry, the '09 is absolutely fugly. It reminds me of the double- ended clown car at the circus. You can't tell if it's coming or going.

The '09 Maxima has it all over the TL AND it's $ 1500- $2000 less.
    I'll take the Max. MHO !!!!
  • gundersengundersen Member Posts: 14
    The Maxima looks kinda stupid too.Take a closer look
    It's been years since I've owned a GM car, but maybe the Pontiac G8 would be a better choice than either the '09 Maxima or TL. I imagine that very few people would cross shop a G8 with those Japanese models, but they are in the same price range, and the G9 has the advantage of being RWD, so its driving dynamics are probably superior to the Maxima's and FWD TL.
  • sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    The G8 is RED, so that makes it unrealistic for me here in Manitoba (winters!!) but it is a good looking car, way better looking imo than either the TL or Maxima. I actually like the Accord's styling better than the Maxima or TL now, waiting to see what the new Mazda6 looks like as well....
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    You know what, it could be once we see this car in person, it will look a world better, some cars don't look good in picture, but great in person. I love the interior though.

Of course it will be an arm and a leg to own the 09 at first.
    Get one in another color. :P
    I see i said "red", I meant to say RWD, sorry about that, my bad!!!! :blush:
    http://www.motivemagazine.com/gallery/gallery.html?c=show_thumbs;p=Manufacturers- /Acura/TL/2009-Present/Standard%20Model/Interior

In depth shots of the tech package. This is a base with tech. The navigation system is much better. It's faster and uses a hard drive. The hard drive is a specialized unit for Acura that can withstand the abuse a car can give it. Shows some non tech package interior shots. The navigation system uses a VGA display which is much improved than the non VGA display. Makes the previous system look not as good.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I don't agree at all that the new TL does not look good. I think it looks cutting edge and modern. The SH-AWD makes it a better handling car. The interior has been upgraded. Apparently the audio system, already cutting edge, has also been improved.

I think overall it looks like a great car. There are so many good cars around now - the TL, the G8, the Genesis - a true embarrassment of choice.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    That's a pretty funny error... I couldn't for the life of me figure out why a red car in Manitoba was a totally impractical winter color. I figure white would be worse as if you're stuck in a snowbank, you won't be as visible. (which is possible, given that it's a RWD vehicle :) )

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jghizdar8jghizdar8 Member Posts: 1
    Is it just me or did the Acura folks copy the Saturn Aura? If you look at a comparison between the two, there is just a little bit of difference in dimensions and styling. The front and rear of the TL look exactly like that of the Saturn Aura. Did GM and Honda design the car together. Or is copying the design a form of flattery? :surprise:
  • rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    I looked at some pictures of the interior I would opt for no navigation, Do you still get hands free phone? I am not sure I need all that audio stuff like all the artists listed. My husband would be driving this car and I am sure he wouldn't be interested in all that stuff being displayed when you drive. Does anyone know when we can see the car in showrooms? What about the cost?
    I think Acura copied from a lot of different models --- I see a bit of Camry, a bit of Lexus GS, a bit of Maxima, a bit of Saturn Aura.
  • mrsatisfactionmrsatisfaction Member Posts: 14
    I am going to have the opportunity to drive this car on Sept. 25th. You can go to Acura.com and click on Future Vehicles. It will have all the specs on both the base 2009 TL and the SH-AWD TL. What is surprising is that the curb weight of the cars have only a 272lb difference.
    All 09 TL's get bluetooth. The tech package does have a nicer display and audio system. The non tech package also shows audio info but not as nice. September for the base and November for the SH-AWD.
    Yup, I guess i should check my posts before hitting submit, glad i caused some levity on here!!!!!!!
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    AWD is a good option if you live in the north where winter snow can be copious or if you like to carve canyon roads in a spirited fashion. However, it adds weight and slows down acceleration, and it costs more to maintain and repair. Without AWD, the 09 TL is not much better than its predecessor, which, IMO, looks better.
    Well the SH-AWD model has a firmer suspension and it's a sportier TL. It might be too harsh for some people.
    I agree with you, for the reasons you expressed.

A sport sedan should be provide nimble handling, in my opinion. Since large size and weight detract from nimbleness, the new TL may not be a sport sedan. It may be a great highway cruiser, or an excellent all purpose luxury car, but it doesn't fit the sport sedan label, as I see it. The same may apply to the Mercedes E-Class or BMW 5-Series, for example, although at least they're RWD based.
  • gkelmgkelm Member Posts: 9
    Count me in on the disappointed crowd. I'm a big Honda/Acura fan, but really don't like the new TL much at all...maybe it will grow on me? Shouldn't have to for a $30k+ car! On the other hand, I like the new TSX. The slight up-sizing doesn't bother me on that one, and the interior is great...if it only had a bit more power.

Was looking to get out of my 2001 BMW and return to Japanese reliability, but after driving & looking (G35, IS250, TSX, TL, Accord Coupe, C30, A3, etc.)...I think I'm happiest keeping my old bimmer for a while longer.
  • jax4501jax4501 Member Posts: 1
    Sure it looks strange/different, but that has been the theme from Honda of late....which also goes for interiors, which are becoming way too busy. While the primary car mags have also question quirky looks, they are dinging the new TL more for a lack of steering feel with the move away from hydraulic control, so guess we will now be blessed with the same "feel" as a Lexus :-(. They also mention a big reduction in road noise (another Honda trait) so that will be something worth looking forward to.
    Although my initial overall impressions are disappointing, I'll reserve final judgment until I actually see the car, and after it's been compared against the competition.

I'd like to see both the FWD and AWD compared against other cars, but I imagine that the comparisons will only involve the AWD version, at least for a while, since that's the one that's most changed. Since Acura expects the FWD version will account for about 75% of TL sales, it would be nice to also see comparisons of this version against 2WD versions of competing models.
  • chuckjrchuckjr Member Posts: 95
    I was at Acura picking up an MDX today and they said that they had a couple 09 TLs in the back but not avaiable to show or drive. The internet manager said release would be October some time.
  • apasionapasion Member Posts: 3
    I know there has been a lot of people that are disappointed with the new design including myself, i have a 2006 which is one of the best looking car on the streets today, i dont understand why they would send a car like this on the street its soo bad nothing flows.
    For sure i will not be getting the new one, i know its too early to say coz i havent seen the car but in my opinion when a car does catch me the first time i saw the picture its not good enough. :mad:

Albert
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Has anyone received a 09 TL complete sales brochure??
  • bt06bt06 Member Posts: 32
    I sure haven't...I signed up for updates - mail and email when they first released the design...still nothing.

I have to see and drive the vehicle before make final judgement, but some info from the company would be nice.

On a side note while getting my recall work done on the TL, I had a new MDX....LOVED IT! If Acura could get off that blasted premium only gas I would buy one.
    Don't bother with the MDX, you'll regret the purchase. It is not like the Acura's of past - Take a look at the MDX forum and the plethora of problems. I had one and traded it on an 08 TL-S. Pretty sad for what could be a great SUV.
    You can look up all the specs of the car on acura.com in the future vehicles tab.

or go to this link

http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=FutureVehicles_TLPrelaunch

Other than brochures, that's as close as you're getting for now. The upper management of the dealerships are in California as we speak test driving it for the first time. Sales will be doing the same in about 3 weeks and it will be released the following week.
  • perez5249perez5249 Member Posts: 4
    As an owner of two Acuras, 05 TL and 06 RSX, I can say that i've been satisfied with both. However, I've been waiting for Acura to make a bold move so I can trade up my 06 RSX...it's a great little car but leaves me lacking for more power. Now I can trade it in for the new 09 TL SH AWD. I love the in your face grill and sharp lines. Now I can play with even more toys as I enjoy the 305hp and 273 lbs-ft of torque while the sophisticated SH AWD calculates the percentage of power/grip going to each wheel...c'mom folks, live a little, dare to be different. Life is short. Aren't you tired of all the same basic designs? I am. That's why come next month, i'll be playing with my new toy... :shades:
    "...c'mom folks, live a little, dare to be different. Life is short. Aren't you tired of all the same basic designs?"

So...did you also buy the Pontiac Aztec? :P
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    I've had my 2001 MDX for 8 years now and 100,000 miles. It was literally the 34th MDX made - got it on the first day they came out after being on a 6 month waiting list. Over the 8 years I've owned the car, its been the 2nd most reliable car I've ever owned (my personal top prize goes to a 97 Nissan Maxima).

On the flip side, my 2004 TL has been very disappointing in the quality department. Fortunately, at least for others, most TL owners have been very happy with their cars. I guess my TL was made on a "bad hair day".
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    "That's why come next month, i'll be playing with my new toy"

hey, what you do in the privacy of your home is none of our business ;)

Enjoy your stops at the gas station :) It's still fugly on the outside.
    Anyone that works at an Acura store, like myself, will admit that there were a few 2004 TL's that weren't up to snuff. I guess you can chalk it up to being the first year of a complete makeover.

Edmunds.com gives the 2008 TL the nod for lowest cost of ownership for a car under $45,000, which, I think, says a lot. No car is perfect though. That's why we enjoy buying new ones!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Hey, welcome to the forums! Nice to have a member participating who has hands-on product knowledge.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Excellent point! Can you imagine all the potential issues with a totally re-done 09 TL? Acura is known for working out the kinks as "they go along". Buyer beware - wait a while, who knows they may change the disgusting grille. :cry:
    First week of October for the base and middle to late December for SH-AWD.
    No hope for the new grille. As usual, the more we're around it, the more we'll appreciate it.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    kinda like the more I hit my head against a wall, the less it hurts each time.
    If Honda haven't changed the grill on the CR-V, I wouldn't hold out much hope they would do anything to the TL. :cry:
  • apasionapasion Member Posts: 3
    They may consider changing if sales drop dramatically.
    Sales won't drop dramatically. They have stopped making 2009 RL's in anticipation of the TL cutting heavily into its customer base.

They have also stopped production on the 2009 MDX and 2009 RDX temporarily until current inventory of the 2008 models is greatly reduced.